Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 6, 2019 10:43 PM

Jun 2014
Quite decent last episode.
Overall I got annoyed more than I enjoyed the show because of the characters.
Hikaru acting like an ass becuase of Minmay, why even he is the leader? He was also dumb to not noticed Misa's feeling after all that happened to two of them. Lmao
Minmay didn't grow on me as a heroine. She friendzoned Hikaru and for some unknown reason she was very affectionate to Kaifun. I thought it is only becuase they are cousin. It's really convinient to have Kaifun as a character. The ultimate plot device, cousin of Minmay turned leading man in a movie then he suddenly love Minmay as a lover? He is also look a like with Misa's former love interest. Lmao
Two years later he is now the manager of Minmay and his attitude got worse. Im not even sure if him and Minmay was really a lover. Minmay didn't respond to Hikaru because of Kaifun. Yeah she maybe starting to realize that she likes Hikaru but still she chose Kaifun. (She said "Komeni Hikaru, demo watashi Kaifun no koto...")
Kaifun was garabage the writers didnt even try to explore his character, he is also a pacifist becuase why not? The story need a obligatory pacifist character. Him and Minmay were shallow, well at least Minmay got a development near the end.
The romance concluscion was also not very clear. Im not convinced Hikaru ended up with Misa but Im okay with it. Minmay decided to sing again but does she really love singing? Or she was only singing because the people told her to.

Far from masterpiece but I can understand why this considered as classic. This anime revolutionize the space/music genre.
Unfortunately I didn't enjoy watching this as I much wanted to. If this focused more on real plot rather than the roamance part this would be more better. Imo and removing Kaifun completely from the story
Also the animation was laughable at times.
Oct 7, 2019 12:05 AM

Dec 2015
blessofcurse said:
This would be better if Kaifun was completely removed from the story

You've got your wish granted !
Macross - Do you remember Love?
(Kaifun playing only a barely talking figurant role as the manager)

If this focused more on real plot than on the romance part, this would be better.

Ouch, don't ask for too much. It's a large audience typical mix, a love intrigue with a war background, not the reversed recipe.
Anyway, I invite you to watch the blockbusterish theatrical version (it's entirely remade), if you can stomach the love triangle being even more the focus.

PS: "better" is already the comparative form of "good", no need for "more". ^^
Oct 7, 2019 12:39 AM

Jun 2014
Rei_III said:
blessofcurse said:
This would be better if Kaifun was completely removed from the story

You've got your wish granted !
Macross - Do you remember Love?
(Kaifun playing only a barely talking figurant role as the manager)

If this focused more on real plot than on the romance part, this would be better.

Ouch, don't ask for too much. It's a large audience typical mix, a love intrigue with a war background, not the reversed recipe.
Anyway, I invite you to watch the blockbusterish theatrical version (it's entirely remade), if you can stomach the love triangle being even more the focus.

PS: "better" is already the comparative form of "good", no need for "more". ^^

Yes . I will definitely watch the movie version and I have a feeling I will like it. I am really commited to watch the whole Macross franchise.
Thanks for pointing out my grammar, Im still learning english. :)
Feb 25, 2020 9:05 PM
Jul 2011
Just re-watched Macross recently after watching the Robotech & Do You Remember Love versions some 20 years ago. The ending is a bit different to how I remember it.

The ending makes it look like Hikaru is still quite indecisive. He doesn't clearly say he chooses Misa over Minmay. And it hints at Minmay joining them on board the new ship. Seems like it was originally intended to be a fairly open ending.
Mar 7, 2020 2:04 PM

Feb 2017
Good finale, especially after the last part which I found frustrating mess most of the time. I didn't like how Hikaru left Minmay "You have your songs"

Overall it was a really good show, especially the first part which was a blast watching. Second part had it's moments but was mostly frustrating. Art and animation surprised me a lot of the times with some great art and amazing animation sequences. Developed sci-fi and mystery is what I didn't expect going in. It was probably my favorite part of the show (mysteries behind Zentradi, humans, Protoculture, them learning Culture etc.) Culture jokes were also really funny and might be one of my favorite running gags in anime so I've seen so far.

First part was solid 9/10, after that the show became weaker so when all is taken into account it's 8/10 from me.
Mar 17, 2020 5:50 PM

Aug 2008
At least the proper girl was chosen...

Older anime like this often seem to be very stiff with plot and characters and some stuff was pretty nonsensical but still liked it overall on rewatch if not as much as the first time around. Show seemed to be a series of action scenes strung together by thin plot and romance in the love triangle but I have to say when the show was enjoyable it was very much enjoyable.

If those two Zentradi had embraced experiencing... culture... together they would have been happier instead of their silly suicide run. Pity.
Jun 4, 2020 6:45 PM
Sep 2019
I didn't expect to be as invested as I was, honestly I just wanted the show to be over with after the last couple of episodes but when the Macross rose into the sky I got chills.

It was incredibly satisfying to see Minmay feel a fraction of the despair she's caused throughout the show and that she was left alone in the end, on the flip side it's also good to see that she's matured a little bit and might mature more going forward. Hopefully in a couple of years she wouldn't be so painfully obnoxious.

I stand by that Hayase should have ended up with Claudia because she deserves better than an indecisive jerk like Hikaru, but I'm glad that she's at least happy. I gotta say though I'm extremely surprised best girl won in the end, I thought for sure Minmay would be the one after all the back and forth.

Well, good riddance Macross. The last episode wasn't bad but I'm glad it's over, I would have prefered if it ended at episode 27.
Jul 15, 2020 11:23 AM

Aug 2017
Awesome and touching ending, I think. I really expected somebody to die (excluding Lap'Lamiz and Kamujin), but that was not the case. In the end, the girl I was rooting for finally found her happiness, huh? I'm not really sure whether the ending is happy or bittersweet when it comes to Hikaru and Minmay. What Hikaru and Misa told her about her songs sounded like that lecture Kaifun gave her before leaving. Some things are left open for interpretation (or sequels), mainly in regards to the lives of the cast after the war, but that's fine. While it seems that this post-timeskip arc shouldn't have existed in the first place but came into being because of the ramifications of anime industry and producing, it turned out to be mostly enjoyable, despite having some underwhelming moments. It's quite often that episodes "sticked" to the show afterwards turn out to be bad, but I guess Macross avoided such a problem. It would still be perfectly fine with 27 episodes and maybe 1-2 more for an epilogue; but the way it ended up is pretty satisfying too, and I'm not complaining.
Overall, Macross had a lot more positive than negative sides. Memorable and fairly distinct cast that kept me interested (even side characters were funny, including those on the bridge; unusual for such stories, but I liked e.g. Claudia or the other trio hanging out here and there), great sountrack (not only Minmay's songs, but the "sad" tracks as well), live-action ED (my weakness) and fairly original idea to exploit. I don't get why some people badmouth Macross as a "copy" of Gundam, it didn't feel like that at all. As for some negatives - sloppy animation and drawings at times (especially faces), and a couple of plot points that were underexploited or dropped (the disappearance of Macross fold system and Supervision Army, which I don't mind - it just served as a part of Zentradi history). That's pretty minor though and I don't mind it that much. Plus there were some moments which could've been expanded upon (Hikaru's return from Zentradi should've been shown to impact Minmay; or that scene of Hikaru and Misa drinking tea at night that we never got)
8-9/10, I think. More than enough to encourage me to watch other Macross series/movies/OVAs (though I was planning to watch them anyway).

P.S. A moment of silence for Kamujin and Lap'Lamiz who never got time to make culture, in the end. The true tragedy of the show.

P.P.S. Guess I'll never understand Minmay hate, but still, I liked her evolution (and I'll probably like her more after watching the movie and OVA), and the fact that her career as an idol is not all roses and comes with some problems and choices as well. I don't think that treating idol characters in a "deep" way is popular in anime at all, so I enjoyed the relative uniqueness of Minmay's situation. Maybe I just love unconventional idol stuff, I don't know; but I remembered Perfect Blue several times throughout the show for some reason (which is also about an idol and her not-so-rosy life, to say the least). Probably because it shows the "other side" of being an idol; Macross does this too, in a sense - there's a good balance between Minmay's career and her development as a character; plus she doesn't even start as an idol.
St0rmbladeJul 15, 2020 12:38 PM
Nov 3, 2020 6:39 PM

Nov 2018
This was beautiful. This series made me feel so many things. I have so many to say but I can't find the words. This show reminded me of Honey & Clover and Millennium Actress, I know that this predates them but I happened to see those long before this. Episode 28 made me rage so hard that I wanted to drop it or leave it on-hold eternally, after I think 18 months I retook it, I started raging again immediately at episode 29 but put on my big man pants and sat down on it. Now I'm delighted and glad I completed it even if Pain was injected through my veins each moment until the farewell. So long everyone.

Eternity for the Macross ship crew.
Eternity for Ichijou.
Eternity for Misa.
And Eternity for Lynn Minmay.
Dec 30, 2020 8:14 PM

Aug 2018
7/10. IMO the ending of episode 27 is WAY better and this episode leaves quite a cliffhanger which is disappointing.
Jan 28, 2021 5:16 PM

May 2020
Awesome ending! I'm glad how Hikaru and Hayase were able to finally get together, and as for Minmay, I'm happy that she's found happiness through her songs. Not sure if I like this ending more if than if they had just ended the show at episode 27, but I most definitely did enjoy experiencing it.
Oct 17, 2021 11:36 AM

Apr 2011
It was a beautiful show, and I liked how ambiguous the love drama was - I wasn’t sure who I wanted to root for. Minmay would have been the romantic choice, love at first sight etc. But Hayase was the realistic choice. I really suffer with Hikaru though who just didn’t want to disappoint either of them.

LOVE and ACTION! It was epic.
Jan 26, 2022 2:36 AM
Jul 2016
Hello, now in 2022 the macross is 40 years old. Please don't forget that when made a judgement about this anime
Feb 20, 2022 2:16 AM
Jul 2018
This was a nice final episode, and I especially liked that Misa finally won out in the end.

Overall though I was a bit underwhelmed by this series. Maybe I just couldn't connect with it as well considering when it was made, but even then it still held my interest and had plenty of great moments. I'll probably try out the movie soon to see if I like it any better.
Apr 16, 2022 6:06 PM
Feb 2018
what a fanservice to have minmay sing the ed tho, ah well still they really managed to wrap up that whole zentradi shenanigans in 3 episodes
Aug 17, 2022 4:21 PM

Nov 2016
Kind of split on this show, it has aged poorly but at the same time has truly great moments in my view. I wonder if it tries to do everything and appeal to everyone while not being sure what to focus on at the same time? I feel like Eureka Seven if these two are even comparable did a better job at that but it aired way after this. Overall I did enjoy watching it!

oooo3333 said:
The third arc (episodes 28-36), truly a pointless arc. It was just done to milk the anime.

Truly a pointless arc? Sure the epilogue could have been cut shorter and it was pretty rough at parts but at the same time I think it would have been plain weird to end the show on the devastating final battle with the Zentradian army. I thought it was really cool to see how the Macrossians adjusted to life after that and I really enjoyed the discussions relating to how war seemingly never ends and the issues that rose from humans living with zentradians.
Jul 3, 2023 2:29 AM

Feb 2023
He left her.

Thank God.

This is all I wanted.

Karusan said:
It was a beautiful show, and I liked how ambiguous the love drama was - I wasn’t sure who I wanted to root for. Minmay would have been the romantic choice, love at first sight etc. But Hayase was the realistic choice. I really suffer with Hikaru though who just didn’t want to disappoint either of them.

LOVE and ACTION! It was epic.

The best part was the comedy imo. The romance was annoying and the action was always extremely confusing. But that jokes were top tier!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starseeker - Feb 15, 2009

72 by Baskarite »»
Apr 30, 8:11 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 22 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 5, 2009

35 by Baskarite »»
Apr 26, 8:05 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 4 Discussion

kiririnshi - Sep 15, 2009

36 by giannis85 »»
Mar 6, 10:58 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 24 Discussion

JuicyBuddha - Jan 8, 2010

31 by YingZhe »»
Sep 30, 2023 8:01 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 35 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

41 by kanata44 »»
Jul 3, 2023 1:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.