Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 8, 2019 9:01 AM
Jul 2018
Ping pong the animation, the art is terrible but the story is memorable
Apr 8, 2019 9:27 AM

Jun 2014
I used to be put off by JoJo’s art style but I love the show now.

I also don’t like some of the character designs in Hunter x Hunter.
Apr 8, 2019 9:55 AM

Nov 2016
I feel like a lot of people seems to confound different or unusual character design with bad art style. Because outside of that I just can't understand how you would call the art in jojo shiki one piece or code geass bad but that's just me I guess.
Apr 8, 2019 11:44 AM

Jan 2016
I think it's Soul Eater? Dunno, haven't continue it since 2 years ago.
Apr 8, 2019 1:39 PM
Jul 2018
JoyBoy_316 said:
I feel like a lot of people seems to confound different or unusual character design with bad art style. Because outside of that I just can't understand how you would call the art in jojo shiki one piece or code geass bad but that's just me I guess.
Jojo draws faces well, but the fashion is that the show is pretty bad and unflattering to the characters who wear them. They put way too many wrinkles on that pink heart jumpsuit as to make it look physically uncomfortable to wear. Being ultra manly and feminine isn't something I'm used to seeing either(still debating how I feel about that). I like the main guy's fashion, but everyone else looks uncomfortable.

One piece draws all its girls like they didn't eat in months(same can be said for Shiki). Though in Shiki's case, it's a horror anime, so it adds to the show's atmosphere, so I don't mind it. The thin doll-like hair also brings out the show's atmosphere quite well(though some of it gets a little too goofy). Anyway, I don't hate these because they are different, my dislike comes from how uncomfortable the characters look. NGNL, Laughing Salesman New, Mononoke, and Trigger shows have art styles I enjoy despite being so different from the medium.
Apr 8, 2019 4:15 PM

Nov 2016
Peaceful_Critic said:
JoyBoy_316 said:
Jojo draws faces well, but the fashion is that the show is pretty bad and unflattering to the characters who wear them. They put way too many wrinkles on that pink heart jumpsuit as to make it look physically uncomfortable to wear. Being ultra manly and feminine isn't something I'm used to seeing either(still debating how I feel about that). I like the main guy's fashion, but everyone else looks uncomfortable.

One piece draws all its girls like they didn't eat in months(same can be said for Shiki). Though in Shiki's case, it's a horror anime, so it adds to the show's atmosphere, so I don't mind it. The thin doll-like hair also brings out the show's atmosphere quite well(though some of it gets a little too goofy). Anyway, I don't hate these because they are different, my dislike comes from how uncomfortable the characters look. NGNL, Laughing Salesman New, Mononoke, and Trigger shows have art styles I enjoy despite being so different from the medium.

Yes you are making some pretty good points but that thing about jojo seems more to be something unique to part 5 and 6 but I can't think of any character from earlier part except from maybe polnareff who really looked unconfortable to me. Yes some of the other designs look a bit wacky but jojo is a wacky show same for one piece too.

A character like kouma would look horrible in any other story but it fits the story of one piece. Yes every one piece fan agrees that oda draws all of the women the same wierd way and I'm not a big fan of it myself but I don't think women even represent a fifth of the entire one piece cast compare to the slew of variety present elsewhere I can forgive that one.

Also until this point we've only been talking about the characters which yes are a big part of the entire art of a show/manga but there is more to it. Like the stands or something like morioh in jojo or the different and unique islands and species in one piece and also the way jojo uses colors at its adventage like to show the tension in a scene. All of this and more should be discussed when talking about a show's art.
Apr 8, 2019 6:00 PM
Jul 2018
JoyBoy_316 said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

Yes you are making some pretty good points but that thing about jojo seems more to be something unique to part 5 and 6 but I can't think of any character from earlier part except from maybe polnareff who really looked unconfortable to me. Yes some of the other designs look a bit wacky but jojo is a wacky show same for one piece too.

A character like kouma would look horrible in any other story but it fits the story of one piece. Yes every one piece fan agrees that oda draws all of the women the same wierd way and I'm not a big fan of it myself but I don't think women even represent a fifth of the entire one piece cast compare to the slew of variety present elsewhere I can forgive that one.

Also until this point we've only been talking about the characters which yes are a big part of the entire art of a show/manga but there is more to it. Like the stands or something like morioh in jojo or the different and unique islands and species in one piece and also the way jojo uses colors at its adventage like to show the tension in a scene. All of this and more should be discussed when talking about a show's art.
I was mainly thinking about older designs. May I ask you something? Do the characters of Jojo explore manliness vs feminity? Or do they just dress that way to be wacky? Being different is generally good, but being different by being something random isn't.

I like the main character designs, but most designs of that show have random exaggerations that are off-putting when put next to the more normal ones. Like the main guys have pretty average anime portions, but Kouma has small legs with a huge chest. It doesn't add to his personality much, he just has an ugly disproportional body. Just as much would've been conveyed if he was less exaggerated.

I haven't seen these shows, so I can only discuss character designs.
Apr 8, 2019 6:43 PM

Aug 2007
@Mirai Lol with the hair styles of that anime. The first time I watched Shiki I thought: hey, how those hair can defy gravity?
Apr 8, 2019 6:46 PM
Mar 2019
The og art for DBZ could be pretty bad at times.

I'm willing to give it a pass though because of the time it came out in.
Apr 8, 2019 9:42 PM

Jan 2017
Actually, it depends upon person to person. I dont like shoujo and bishounen artstyle. So any anime in that category will not have a good initial impact on me.
Apr 9, 2019 3:56 AM

Nov 2016
Peaceful_Critic said:
JoyBoy_316 said:

I was mainly thinking about older designs. May I ask you something? Do the characters of Jojo explore manliness vs feminity? Or do they just dress that way to be wacky? Being different is generally good, but being different by being something random isn't.

I like the main character designs, but most designs of that show have random exaggerations that are off-putting when put next to the more normal ones. Like the main guys have pretty average anime portions, but Kouma has small legs with a huge chest. It doesn't add to his personality much, he just has an ugly disproportional body. Just as much would've been conveyed if he was less exaggerated.

I really don't know much about that concept but looking at the authors work I'll tend to say yes especially in the later works where it seems even more obvious with some female characters looking manlier and vise versa. But in the end for me it just fit the story I just think that when a show has the word bizarre in his title and generally deliver on that then it just makes sense for it to reflect on the characters too.

Some of these exaggeration might not add much to the characters themselves but they do add to the story with a lot of them actually representing some actual races and species in the story. Like long arms, long legs, giants, fishmen and more and the show even explore discriminations and conflicts toward and between them.
JoyBoy_316Apr 9, 2019 5:12 AM
Apr 9, 2019 4:31 AM

Dec 2012
Fairy Tail
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
One Piece
Redline
When They Cry
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 9, 2019 5:02 AM
Sep 2018
beargolfer said:
without question, devilman crybaby. i have no idea why people are praising its visual style so much, it's kind of disgusting and sloppy

i can agree with you on that, as someone who didn't enjoy devilman crybaby, my main problem with it would have to be the art style
Apr 9, 2019 8:21 AM

Jul 2015
prophet_dan said:
beargolfer said:
without question, devilman crybaby. i have no idea why people are praising its visual style so much, it's kind of disgusting and sloppy

i can agree with you on that, as someone who didn't enjoy devilman crybaby, my main problem with it would have to be the art style

I have problems with Crybaby's art style, but I certainly wouldn't call it sloppy or disgusting. It's definitely more interesting to watch than most anime; the problem is that it absolutely does not fit Nagai's work. Yuasa should stick to his own stuff and Matsumoto Taiyou's manga if he's unable to adapt his art style. Where the original manga is filled with primal emotions and grotesque figures, Crybaby is cheesy or looks like a psychedelic clip.
Apr 10, 2019 4:57 AM
Sep 2017
I've never watched the show, and I don't want to criticize it, but it's character design, (read:eyes) is fucking horrible.

Yep, I've nothing more to add.
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Apr 10, 2019 8:13 AM

Jul 2017
Depends on people's tastes. I mean, a lot of people mention Clannad (or any of KyoAni's 'big eyes' animation back in the days) because of the huge eyes but I'm not bothered by it and still think the art style is beautiful.

Haven't seen any of these but have seen clips of it:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (I wouldn't call it bad but it just doesn't appeal to me. I have other reasons for refusing to watch this show though)
Infinite Stratos (The art style is decent but Ichika is the main target. I don't know why but every time I see Ichika's face, it makes me want to punch him. I hate this type of art style for MCs)
Ping Pong the Animation (I'll give it props for approaching a more different type of art but I personally don't like it)
Aku no Hana (Same thing as Ping Pong)
Code Geass (The art style is decent but the chins distracted me a lot. I have other reasons for refusing to watch this show though)

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Apr 10, 2019 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
JoyBoy_316 said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

I really don't know much about that concept but looking at the authors work I'll tend to say yes especially in the later works where it seems even more obvious with some female characters looking manlier and vise versa. But in the end for me it just fit the story I just think that when a show has the word bizarre in his title and generally deliver on that then it just makes sense for it to reflect on the characters too.

Some of these exaggeration might not add much to the characters themselves but they do add to the story with a lot of them actually representing some actual races and species in the story. Like long arms, long legs, giants, fishmen and more and the show even explore discriminations and conflicts toward and between them.
Well, I mean it certainly is different, but the characters just look to be uncomfortable ultra mainly abs and tight clothes is off-putting(even if it was made with the purpose of being bizarre).

Ah, okay, I'll take your word on that since I know nothing about One Piece.
Apr 29, 2020 7:11 AM
May 2019
One piece and Jojo have worst artsyle for me, It's so ugly that I can't even look at it for few minutes, forget about watching it, No matter what anyone says, I am not going to watch it because I don't want to torture my eyes
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Anime with better story than art

ST63LTH - May 23

27 by Jipsi »»
11 minutes ago

» Do your irl friends watch anime?

coolyfruity - Yesterday

32 by CutieAnshin »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime facts you didn't know before

LenRea - Yesterday

6 by LenRea »»
28 minutes ago

» What Anime OR Manga Character has the best drip

NessieMAL - Yesterday

14 by KousakaK »»
29 minutes ago

» Imagine you're an anime seiyuu (voice actor). Which character would you want to voice?

Wendoka - Yesterday

15 by Rurihime »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.