New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 18, 2016 8:22 PM

Oct 2009
as long as it contains a decent gore-action plot I'm good LOL

although I'm not really sure what edgy means anyway.... xD

Apr 18, 2016 8:37 PM
Oct 2015
In the end, it's all up to how the anime executes the edginess. It's kind of like anything that you can overdose on, it's only good if it's in moderation. Honestly, if it just shoves it in your face 24/7 throughout the entire series (Tokyo Ghoul I'm looking at you) then yeah, it's obnoxious.
Apr 18, 2016 8:43 PM

Mar 2015
It can be a great excuse to make anime look bad. BUT the truth still lies in people opinion.
This salad is salty favored
Apr 18, 2016 9:03 PM

Oct 2013
Nache said:
In the end, it's all up to how the anime executes the edginess. It's kind of like anything that you can overdose on, it's only good if it's in moderation. Honestly, if it just shoves it in your face 24/7 throughout the entire series (Tokyo Ghoul I'm looking at you) then yeah, it's obnoxious.

If that's the case, berserk is the king then.
Apr 18, 2016 9:05 PM

Feb 2015
A good balance between dark and edgy is nice. Yeah, like Berserk has.
Apr 19, 2016 1:30 AM

May 2015
AltoRoark said:
It's generally seen as a negative thing. Not that it makes the whole show bad, but it definitely takes away from it.

Grimdark is a much better term, and makes the flaws clearer.

'Edgy' anime like Future Diary are just all over the place.

Grimdark anime tend to have a single tone, no variety and no realism since everything is always bad.

They're still better than Game of Thrones.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 19, 2016 2:15 PM

May 2014
And here I thought being edgy was a good thing.
Oh well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2016 2:28 PM

Jan 2013
omfgplzstop said:
gabrielrroiz said:
calling fate zero edgy us one of the most patetic excuses the fate fandom uses to say ubw is better

what?
show me someone who actually thinks the UBW anime is better than Zero

People say the VN is better, which I (and the vast majority of people who have read it) think is correct. Edginess has nothing to do with it.

Hi.

It really does too. When a character is dark and brooding for the sake of being a dark and brooding character the show is edgy. Kiritsugu isn't even edgy in the regular Fate timeline because he shows more than one expression.

Shows can be dark without being edgy. Look at Grimgar of fantasy and ash or junketsu no maria. Those shows handle their dark themes much better than edgy stuff like Mirrai Nikki or Deadman Wonderland.

Shows like Tokyo Ghoul have such inhuman and edgy characters that the empathy is lost and whatever thematic point they try to make at times just gets lost in the wind.

SodiumChloride said:
Black Bullet was edgy but I liked it a lot .

Lol no it wasn't XD.

It was dark and had some dark themes but wasn't just needlessly so. Like the darkness was emphasized by the more lighthearted moments and the characters weren't always sad and brooding.

keragamming said:
Edgy anime. "I don't like it"

Mature anime "I like it"

Definition of edgy, tense, nervous, or irritable. but wq

The way I see it, an edgy character is a sad and brooding character who just dwells in his own mire of sadness when he has no reason. You see the protagonist of Big Order and just think. Fucking smile. Hayate from Hayate the Combat Butler has it worse than you and he smiles.

Emiya Kiritsugu is an edgy person. He's always sad and his expression is always this dark brooding type. Even when he's with his family. It bothers the hell out of me, because it doesn't feel like he really wants to protect anything like he always says out loud. Like... kiss her or be romantic for a little if you're in a room together for at least 2 secs. Don't just frown and smoke cigs out the window to look cool and dark... all the time.

The worst part about edgy characters is they rarely change.

Gaara from Naruto is an edgefest of a character. Always sad. Always brooding. Dark all the time. Then you learn his backstory and he start changing a little. Doesn't change the fact that he was an edgefest of a character before that. If you meet someone like that IRL wouldn't it annoy you?
TitanAnteusApr 19, 2016 2:37 PM
Apr 19, 2016 2:52 PM

Apr 2016
Whether it's bad or good still remains as subjective from person to person as it would if it were not labelled edgy.

Also one person may think something is edgy while another won't.
Apr 19, 2016 3:01 PM

Dec 2015
Personally, I use the word "edgy" as a joke in the same way I use the term "2deep4me". I don't mean it to be a bad thing or a good thing.

Just because something is psychological, dark, bloody, or even a poor portrayal of these things doesn't mean it's edgy. Well, at least based on the actual definition of the word edgy.
A few years ago I would see the term edgy used in writing to mean either something good or something bad, but now when the word is used casually on social media people unanimously mean it to be a negative thing.

Nowadays people mean it to be something that reminds them of the old hot topic/scene kids from the Myspace days.
KonaKoffeeApr 19, 2016 3:05 PM
Banner credit to @turnip
Apr 19, 2016 3:41 PM

Jan 2008
No, you can be edgy and still have a fun show. Take Big Order this season: it's edgy as all hell, but it's so much fun to watch.
Apr 19, 2016 4:11 PM

Dec 2015
hoopla123 said:
BaitOfJustice said:

Plebs just confused the word coooru with edgy.

The term is thrown around like nothing these days.

Ohhh a bit of gore? MUST BE EDGY
Ohhh VIOLENCE? EDGY2DAMAX
KILLING? 3EDGY5ME
BLOOD? I1U498127489UISJKLDAFU8SD991 EDGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

OMFG you are so right about that!

lol although I like saying things are "(n)edgy(n+2)me" even if I don't mean it.
I think it gives a little bit of spice to a heated debate ^_^
Banner credit to @turnip
Apr 19, 2016 4:15 PM
Apr 2015
It would be edgy if they try too hard to shove philosophical life lessons down our throat, and it happens far too often, regardless of the anime being dark or not.

Most of the time those lessons sound overly idealistic and absurd, that's why some people, and I, don't like em.

But I guess that doesn't necessarily make the anime bad as a whole.
Apr 19, 2016 4:26 PM

Dec 2012
Edgy shows are inherently bad because they're called edgy. But that's definitely up to someone's perspective and opinion. The word gets thrown around more than edgy teens doing fake bomb threats.

Also ease up on the thread making, OP.
Apr 19, 2016 7:35 PM

Jul 2015
If the show revels in the gloominess and seriousness, then it's no longer mature. A truly mature show is able to keep the murkiness proportionate and give it a meaning instead of just making things grim for the sake of being grim. So if you add too much pointless drama, too many 'cool characters with cool problems' and an emotional nu-metal soundtrack while taking away all the humor and light-heartedness, don't complain when people call your show edgy. I'm looking at you, God Eater.
Apr 19, 2016 7:47 PM

Jan 2013
mimiiria said:
If the show revels in the gloominess and seriousness, then it's no longer mature. A truly mature show is able to keep the murkiness proportionate and give it a meaning instead of just making things grim for the sake of being grim. So if you add too much pointless drama, too many 'cool characters with cool problems' and an emotional nu-metal soundtrack while taking away all the humor and light-heartedness, don't complain when people call your show edgy. I'm looking at you, God Eater.

I agree with everything you've said. Even with God Eater being pretty edgy. They had opportunities to lighten up and not take themselves so oh so seriously, but they decided not too.

Jormungand is a dark show, but it's not edgy. It's mature.
Kekkai Sensen is a pretty dark show but it's not edgy either.
Black Lagoon, Eden of the East, Psycho Pass... All of them not edgy because their characters aren't always dark and brooding.

I don't know. I feel like some people want to shove all that "DARKNESS" down our throats too much and it all just comes off as insincere and unrelatable.
Apr 19, 2016 7:56 PM

May 2009
No, depends on how the matter is approached and how it's employed and executed. Depends on how the resources and technicalities can be utilized to its maximum capacity. Also fully depends if it adheres to the watcher's taste. Do they find it relatable? Can they continue on with their suspension of disbelief? So on and so forth..

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Apr 19, 2016 10:13 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No. Edgy is the most idiotic term to make its way into anime community lingo, and unfortunately replaces actual meaningful criticism in some people's minds.
Apr 19, 2016 11:27 PM

May 2015
DmonHiro said:
No, you can be edgy and still have a fun show. Take Big Order this season: it's edgy as all hell, but it's so much fun to watch.

It's the same guy who made Future Diary so I'm not surprised. He has a wild mind. Even if the edginess can be too much, Future Diary always had verve and never sank too much into cliches.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - 11 hours ago

23 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Yesterday

19 by POORUYO »»
3 minutes ago

» Favorite openings of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 3 hours ago

9 by IKKIsama »»
4 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 4 hours ago

21 by IKKIsama »»
8 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - 8 hours ago

16 by Zarutaku »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.