Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 29, 2012 6:37 AM

Aug 2012
So, I have a question and I'd like to see how ppl answer.

If you don't live in any of the 35 countries that compose the Americas, and I met you online and I said "I'm American", do you assume I live in the United States or do you believe I live in one of the 35 countries composing of the Americas and then proceed to ask me which country it is I live in?

(Btw, I'm American and I do know why we refer to ourselves as American.)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 29, 2012 6:43 AM

Jul 2007
I would assume you're American.
Aug 29, 2012 6:46 AM

Dec 2011
Basically what Scud said....
Aug 29, 2012 6:48 AM

Aug 2012
But American from the United States?

Or American from the Americas? Which is one of the 35 countries composing it.
Aug 29, 2012 6:49 AM

Dec 2011
XeroCleaths said:

From the USA.
Aug 29, 2012 6:54 AM

May 2009
Scud said:

Simply because the other denizens of the Americas refer to themselves via their countries names -Brazilian, Ecuadorian, Mexican, etc.

It has been a common practice to say 'Americans' when referring to US citizens. A little awkward now to call Americans as United Statesians or USAians. ∑(O_O;)
Aug 29, 2012 6:59 AM

Mar 2011
I would think you're from the United States of America first, but afterwards, would probably ask and confirm if true
Aug 29, 2012 7:02 AM

Aug 2012
TsukikageRan said:
Scud said:

Simply because the other denizens of the Americas refer to themselves via their countries names -Brazilian, Ecuadorian, Mexican, etc.

It has been a common practice to say 'Americans' when referring to US citizens. A little awkward now to call Americans as United Statesians or USAians. ∑(O_O;)

Very much true.

If someone were from Colombia, and you met them and you wanted to ask them where they are from. But instead you decide that you want to take a guess. Would you say something like "Are you from the Americas?" or "Are you from South America?". Because unless you've been to south America or at least hear them speak, it can be hard by just looking at them to know which country they are from.
Aug 29, 2012 7:05 AM
Nov 2010
Only the citizens of USA are called Americans. Those of Mexico are Mexicans, Canada-Canadians, Brazil-Brazilians etc. Why would anyone say which continent they're from?
Aug 29, 2012 7:11 AM

Mar 2012
I always thought the same: Why people in United States call themselves as Americans? United States is not the only one country in the continent. Even if it's easier to say American than United Statesian... If you are United Statesian, you are United Statesian -.- Also American, but inside of the American people, United Statesian.

I'm from Spain, I don't refer myself as European. I'm European, yes, but mostly Spanish.

That's why I don't understand it and I asked always the same as you. If you tell me that you are American, I will know you are from United States because you speak English (I mean, if we were face to face). But if not, I would ask you where are you exactly come from xD.
Aug 29, 2012 7:12 AM

Aug 2012
Tomislavr7 said:
Only the citizens of USA are called Americans. Those of Mexico are Mexicans, Canada-Canadians, Brazil-Brazilians etc. Why would anyone say which continent they're from?
If they are Australian.

lol
Aug 29, 2012 7:12 AM

Aug 2012
Tomislavr7 said:

I know a lot of people, including Mexicans who don't understand why someone from the US would say "I'm from America and you're not".

It's like someone from Japan sayingn to someone from China: "I'm going to Asia, you go back to China."
Aug 29, 2012 7:13 AM
Mar 2012
because USAians sounds stupid
Aug 29, 2012 7:31 AM

Apr 2010
TsukikageRan said:
Scud said:

this^^ most people including myself would think you are (usa american) simply becouse most if not all other countrys refer to themselvs by there own country name.
i would hit you ,but i dont wanna get any douchbag on my hands :P
Aug 29, 2012 7:54 AM

Aug 2012
XeroCleaths said:

Lolwut
American is supposed to mean you're from the United States of America (that is from one of the 50 (or was it 51?) states composing the country).

The only other country in North America is Canada. In that case you wouldn't be an American (well from the continent) but a Canadian.

In the middle of the whole continent America is... just one country: Mexico. In that case you wouldn't be an American (well from the continent) but a Mexican.

And then there is the South America, in which turn you precise where you're from, Brazil, Argentina etc.
You don't say "I'm an American", worse case would be "I'm from South America".

You don't say "I'm European" but you precise from where, like France, Italia, Spain etc...

Tl;dr American is supposed to mean USA, not the continent.

Aug 29, 2012 7:58 AM

Mar 2012
I've never met a non-US from North/South America calling themselves that.

I've never met anyone that would think it was something else either.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 29, 2012 8:07 AM

May 2010
Hyunckel said:
XeroCleaths said:

Lolwut
American is supposed to mean you're from the United States of America (that is from one of the 50 (or was it 51?) states composing the country).

The only other country in North America is Canada. In that case you wouldn't be an American (well from the continent) but a Canadian.

In the middle of the whole continent America is... just one country: Mexico. In that case you wouldn't be an American (well from the continent) but a Mexican.

And then there is the South America, in which turn you precise where you're from, Brazil, Argentina etc.
You don't say "I'm an American", worse case would be "I'm from South America".

You don't say "I'm European" but you precise from where, like France, Italia, Spain etc...

Tl;dr American is supposed to mean USA, not the continent.

This exactly :)

Claim a Loli ♣ Claim a Senpai

Aug 29, 2012 8:10 AM

Aug 2012
I'd believe your american,but you were born somewhere else.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Aug 29, 2012 8:50 AM

Mar 2012
Who would want to refer to themselves as an American unless they absolutely had to?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 29, 2012 8:54 AM

Nov 2008
I differentiate America from the Americas and other subregions as the united States.

Aug 29, 2012 8:56 AM

Nov 2008
NicoleB said:

I've had Europeans ask, "What country?"

Aug 29, 2012 9:02 AM

Jun 2012
No other country matters in North and South America.

USA >
Aug 29, 2012 9:07 AM

Jun 2011
Shuhan said:

USA >

Aug 29, 2012 9:17 AM

Aug 2012
Currently here in Puerto Rico, I was hearing puertoricans insult Americans for being "stupid" enough to call themselves American, when we're all Americans.

So I keep asking them: "What else do you expect them to call themselves?".

NicoleB said:

I've met many ppl from different south American countries who don't understand why ppl from the US refer to themselves as Americans.

Post-Josh said:
Who would want to refer to themselves as an American unless they absolutely had to?

I've met people. This one guy from Venezuela that studies with me refuses to let me call myself American, even though I'm from the US. Because he says I'm using it wrong. He believes I sould answer with "United States", even if it sounds dumb.

(And lol @ the previous post)
Aug 29, 2012 9:27 AM

May 2009
@XeroCleaths
Make him do double-take and say you're USAian. Hahaha.

As for Post-Josh comment...that sounds eerie if you're faced with a terrorist looking for Americans - duck!
Aug 29, 2012 9:31 AM

Mar 2012
Just tell the terrorist you're Canadian, he'll take you out for dinner instead.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 29, 2012 9:33 AM

May 2009
Post-Josh said:
Just tell the terrorist you're Canadian, he'll take you out for dinner instead.

Duly noted...Canadians = safe.
Aug 29, 2012 9:38 AM

Sep 2011
TsukikageRan said:
Scud said:

Would do the same.
Aug 29, 2012 9:40 AM

Sep 2011
Hyunckel said:
XeroCleaths said:

So what happened to these countries? Did they disappear from the continent or what?

Antigua and Barbuda
Bahama's
Barbados
Belize
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
Grenada
Guatemala
Haïti
Honduras
Jamaica
Nicaragua
Panama
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Aug 29, 2012 9:44 AM

Aug 2012
Appel_stroop said:
Hyunckel said:

Woah! I never said that XD
Aug 29, 2012 9:57 AM

Jul 2012
i would assume united states

all my foreign friends who live in the US still identify themselves as part of their country of origin. England, Peru, Korean, etc.

But i understand that foreigners who seek citizenship in the US would call themselves american. they have fought hard to gain citizenship.

my canadian family members would get the heebee jeebies if you called them americans!! lol. eh?

anyway, thats just my thoughts on the matter. i am no expert.
Aug 29, 2012 10:11 AM

Jun 2012
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
Shuhan said:

USA >

Lol. Love that meme.
Aug 29, 2012 10:35 AM

Jun 2012
generally if you say i'm from "america" then it means the US
if you say i'm from the "americas" then you're talking about the continents.
in which case idgi why you would honestly say americas since its two continents and like 40 countries or someodd to guess from
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 29, 2012 10:39 AM

Dec 2011
TsukikageRan said:
A little awkward now to call Americans as United Statesians or USAians. ∑(O_O;)

Everyone knows it's USAlien
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 29, 2012 10:41 AM

Jun 2011
Regicide said:
in which case idgi why you would honestly say americas since its two continents and like 40 countries or someodd to guess from

There's no acceptable standard for either dividing the landmass of America into North, Central, and South America; or into North and South America.
RoCSC-006C1BSTAug 29, 2012 10:51 AM
Aug 29, 2012 10:44 AM

Jun 2012
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
Regicide said:

There's no acceptable standard for either diving the landmass of America into North, Central, and South America; or into North and South America.

diving-tho i get it i suppose
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 29, 2012 11:01 AM

May 2011
If someone says they're American, they mean they're from the US. But I always thought that sounded funny, too.

As someone who lives in the US, I don't say I'm American. I just say I'm from the United States, and if people say "So you're American?", then I agree.
Aug 29, 2012 11:08 AM
Apr 2009
AozoraZoro said:
Tomislavr7 said:
If they are Australian.

lol

HHAHAHA, that was golden... but I coulda sworn it was Oceania... :P
Aug 29, 2012 11:09 AM
Mar 2012
America is the whole continent, but because the USA claimed themselves to be Americans, they kept it to themselves, not that the rest of America wants to be affiliated with the USA anyway.
That just made me think of this:
Aug 29, 2012 11:10 AM

Jun 2012
Omnimalevolent1 said:
AozoraZoro said:
Tomislavr7 said:
If they are Australian.

lol

HHAHAHA, that was golden... but I coulda sworn it was Oceania... :P

and i'm a pacific islander
way to be

@Karpman
you mean this

Aug 29, 2012 11:13 AM

Jun 2009
Post-Josh said:
This is a really good point.

I would assume that if you were somewhere other then the USA that you would use that country name.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 29, 2012 11:15 AM

Apr 2011
The answer lies here:
Aug 29, 2012 11:15 AM

Jun 2009
To the left on the map.
Aug 29, 2012 11:26 AM
Mar 2012
GloriousHawk said:
The answer lies here:

in america?
Aug 29, 2012 11:26 AM

Jun 2011
Trapalicious said:
To the left on the map.
Really?
Aug 29, 2012 11:28 AM

Sep 2007
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
Trapalicious said:
To the left on the map.
Really?

West is left. duh
Aug 29, 2012 11:34 AM

Dec 2008
It never made since to call a citizen of the USA "American", anyway. I mean, "America" is a continent(or 2, if you want to be technical), so why would you refer to a country as "America"?
Aug 29, 2012 11:46 AM

May 2009
I have never understood why US citizens call themselves Americans either (though I agree a name derived from" United States" would sound weird), but I would assume you're from there if you say you're American since it's common place. I've never heard people from other countries in the Americas call themselves Americans anyway.
Aug 29, 2012 11:52 AM

Dec 2008
Heika said:
I have never understood why US citizens call themselves Americans either (though I agree a name derived from" United States" would sound weird), but I would assume you're from there if you say you're American since it's common place. I've never heard people from other countries in the Americas call themselves Americans anyway.

I guess an Argentinian, per example, would refer to himself as "South American" or "Latin American", but not as an "American" to avoid misinterpretation from others.

As for the country being called "America", in some languages, it seems that people just simply call the country "America" and that's it. Exceptions are languages like Portuguese and Spanish which usually call the country "Estados Unidos". At least, most people I know refer to the country as "Estados Unidos".
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Let's appreciate MAL

Shizuna - 7 hours ago

9 by Kwanthemaster »»
16 minutes ago

» Is y2k vintage now?

coolyfruity - 7 hours ago

2 by Kwanthemaster »»
18 minutes ago

» Jokes

Zettaiken - Today

5 by Kwanthemaster »»
19 minutes ago

» Real Life Shipping: Have you ever done it or had it happen to you?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

9 by Kwanthemaster »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you go to anime conventions?

spaceslut - Mar 11, 2022

28 by PeripheralVision »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.