Forum Settings
Forums
Air Gear
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 25, 2012 6:51 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
End to one of the better and longer series' from Shonen Magazine.

Unfortunately, the words best fit to describe the final chapter (personally) was clustered and confusing.

I think the author had planned an anime ending like chapter;
it had the "ending theme song" scene going all the way, and a flow of credits towards the end (which was nice).

I really REALLY think that the manga was intended to have a few more chapters to answer some questions. Too many small details revealed in the end for me... and the sisters' mom in the final 4 or 5 pages? what?

Regardless, the story continued to emphasize its key message until the very end and the final "battle" did end. (Not too sure about the tournament, it was too long ago that I forgot)

A memorable scene with Kiriku and Sora; as well as a quote that'll stick in my mind for a while:

"if you want to change the world, begin by changing yourself"

Good manga, amazing drawing all the way, alright ending, something worth collecting as a series.

Moreover, this series is definitely more suited to be animated.
Definitely will be a must watch because come to think of it, the author probably did lots to cater the series to be an anime aside from the final chapter.

I'll just give a big thanks to the author for a solid 10 years.

Looking forward to the anime and "Oh! Great"'s next work.
May 26, 2012 4:51 AM

Mar 2011
That was amazing final chapter but this manga must be animated to the final.
Looking forward to the new work from "Oh! Great"
May 27, 2012 7:53 AM

Feb 2010
just-away said:
Unfortunately, the words best fit to describe the final chapter (personally) was clustered and confusing.

I really REALLY think that the manga was intended to have a few more chapters to answer some questions. Too many small details revealed in the end for me...

I agree with you. It was rushed and it felt like omake chapter for me, not real ending.. I want more!

𝓜𝔂𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓛𝓲𝓼𝓽

The inner sea of the planet. The platform of the watchtower. From the edge of paradise you shall hear my words.
Your story shall be full of blessings. ━Let only those without sin pass. "Garden of Avalon"!
May 27, 2012 12:26 PM

Jun 2009
Finally end!
I dunno how to describe it, not really awesome ending but I'm glad this manga finally finished...

overall 6/10
May 27, 2012 12:32 PM

Sep 2011
I liked how it was kind of random yet wrapped up the series quite well. For a manga like Air Gear, which I was getting annoyed with, the final chapter is one of the best I've read.
May 27, 2012 1:07 PM

Dec 2009
wow we get trolled on what ikki is up through the end. rika asked what ikki is and her mom wouldn't say
May 27, 2012 1:14 PM

Feb 2008
i'm glad it's over. too many metaphors and such.
May 27, 2012 1:27 PM

Jun 2009
What happened in this chapter? I guess this is pretty much the manga writing equivalent to "incoherent and random rambling". This chapter was all over the place...but then again so was the manga for the last ~200 chapters so I guess it's a fitting end. (in a bad way of course).

This should've kept focusing on the sports aspect that made it fun to read in the beginning. Instead it became...whatever the fuck it was (seriously I have no clue).
Sora turning heel was an epic twist but shortly after that the manga started going downhill HARD.

The final chapter itself was not satisfying, aside from Ikki vs. Sora NOTHING got wrapped up. And even that was done shoddy. There were tons of characters in this manga that did not get anything even remotely resembling a wrap up. What a joke. But I don't really mind, I stopped paying attention and actually caring for this manga ages ago. I'm just glad it's finally over. Was about time.

Oh!Great can draw amazingly cute and hot girls but that's really it as far as his talent goes. He isn't a good writer. Which is a shame since he came up with a really interesting and refreshing premise here, gotta give him credit for that. Unfortunately it ended up as wasted potential since he himself just lacks the writing skills to develop a good story. For the last three or so years I always felt like the guy himself has no idea where he wanted the plot to go.

5/10 it was a real mess.
May 27, 2012 1:38 PM

Mar 2011
Its been a long road for this manga series, which have had its share of definite highs and lows,
All and all, I enjoyed the series very much ! Thank you "Oh! Great" for such an entertaining series. I look forward to the new releases from this refined publisher.
Though the ending seemed a bit hastened, It was a good way to wrap up this 9-year long manga series.
Air Gear, I bid you farewell, Until I watch the anime :)

May 27, 2012 1:39 PM
Dec 2008
Good conclusion to a somewhat random ending.

Overall, Great art and poor storytelling. I still enjoyed reading this anime, despite the flaws.
May 27, 2012 1:45 PM

Jan 2008
Whoever calls this good must be joking, this was rubbish and the manga has been rubbish since the halfway point.
floating people, EM throughout the world? No closure whatsoever. Chaos too much going on in too little panels. The guy can draw but that's it.
May 27, 2012 1:54 PM

Aug 2011
it ended T_T .. sad .. it was nice some more chapters .. to explain more ... and evrything .. what can i say .. GOD >> this manga is on of my favorites ..i loved it since the first chapter ..and now at the end i love it too :X ...BUT I WANTED AN ENDING ITSUKI - RINGO ..anyway GREAT MANGA :X!!!

note: Psychopath is my name on a Game so this sig is mine . no copy/paste :)
May 27, 2012 2:11 PM

Jul 2009
Air Gear was like a roller coaster of a manga; really good at some points and really bad/confusing at other times. I didn't hate the ending but i didn't love it either.
May 27, 2012 2:13 PM

Nov 2011
so it's the end... it was a great manga one of my fav, btw i missed the Ikki - Ringo ending as well but that's just small details and i want to see it in anime as well asap XD
May 27, 2012 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
I have no idea what happened throughout the last arc.
I hope there's an anime to help simplify things for me >_>

Decent end I guess even if I didn't understand most of what was going on.
May 27, 2012 2:18 PM

Apr 2012
saving sora should have been the last chapter and every thing else be the prolog
any way one of greatest manga has ended hopeful for a anime and may Oh Great! do well on future projects
May 27, 2012 2:54 PM
Aug 2011
I believe that this manga is so amazing, one needs a highly intellectual and thought provoking mind to grasp its full value. I'll give it a 8/10 for now. I'll definitely reread this in the future and alter the score. After knowing all the plots and twists, one can spot foreshadowing much easier and fill in the details that were previously unknown.

Kazu-Sama X Emily
Emily: Go out with me you bastard
Kazu: *Salutes* Fuck Yeah!

Ikki X Ringo became cannon ages ago.
Kururu-Sama unfortunately lost.
Simca became a freelance journalist LOL

EDIT : Stephen Fucking Hawking
Gatchum_Bye-ByeMay 27, 2012 3:30 PM
May 27, 2012 3:34 PM
Aug 2011
So it ended... It was a nice ending, at the same level of the series.... Well Air Gear was crazy to start with so having a crazy ending would be normal but like I said before was a nice ending...
I will miss it....
I hope Oh! Great comes back with another work because his drawings are amazing!!!!
May 27, 2012 4:05 PM
Aug 2010
Oh BOY....what a mess...

OK, so it finally ended, and just like the previous 200 chapters or so, it made little to no sense with random things happening everywhere.

Unfortunately for Air Gear, the story never recovered and it wasn't the same after "Genesis" first appeared.

The beginning really was the best (and most coherent) part of the manga, it was simple and basic, but it made sense and it was fun to see all the different characters in this world.

I'm going to try and be fair, but rating this manga is very difficult:

Artwork: Without a doubt this was the biggest strength for Air Gear, I have read a lot of manga in my time, but Oh Great is clearly one of the BEST shounen artist in Japan....hands down.

I don't think there is anyone that can argue of the quality Oh Great brought in the art department....10/10

Characters: This was another strength for Air Gear, it had a vast ensemble of characters which were very likable and entertaining to see.....9/10

Story/plot: Unfortunately, this is the most important part to most manga, there are a few that can be great with an average storyline, but for shounen manga, the story/plot is it's biggest selling point.

Air Gear started as a wonderful story about a young boy who was eager to show his friends and family that he was destined to do great things. Throughout the story we see his development from a weak character into the main protagonist literally fighting for his desired goals.

The problem was the way Ikki got there.....it was a huge convolution of steps which rarely made any sense and in some ways the reader was often left to say "well, that's just how things work in Air Gear".

This is NOT the way to do the plot and it was very evident that Oh Great should probably stick to drawing and work with someone that can actually write cohesive and understandable storylines......3/10 for the story/plot.

OVERALL: There's not much else I can say, I loved the art and characters, but the story weakened this manga until the bitter end.

FINAL SCORE.....5.5/10.....I will round up to a 6/10 just because of nostalgia for how good it was at the very beginning.
ichig0fanMay 27, 2012 4:15 PM
May 27, 2012 4:06 PM

May 2011
Arghh, the ending would be complete if the author shows Ikki and Ringo together!
May 27, 2012 6:07 PM
May 2009
I have strange feelings about the ending and I know that not everyone is going to be satisfied. In allot of ways it seems rushed and allot of things were forgotten.

Although allot of people say that it started 200 chapters ago I would argue that any hope of forming an complete satisfying piece ended after the battleship ark (even then I know allot of people weren't satisfied before that).

Despite that Oh my God brings it back for a complete ending and although I wish allot of characters could have gotten more of say before the end (espically Kururu and Agito) it at least shows some acknowledgment before the end.

Last thing I have to say is that I disagree about an anime. Sure it would be cool to see some of these fights. But all and all so much is forgotten and characters come off as so astray by the end, that unless they were to change the ending I don't think an Air Gear anime could come off as enjoyable for me. Either that or they take away all the small things such as Kururu and Agito ark but then your stripping the best features that Air Gear provided its characters.

Overall great characters which was torn apart by a bad ending.
May 27, 2012 6:40 PM
Nov 2010
closetnerd said:
Although it sucked the last 100 chapters this is the manga I've been reading the longest, feel kinda weird about it ending.

This. Didn't know what rating to give it.. It started off really well, then just became utter shit. Ended up giving it a 4, since I found it below average.

Like, it went from a really cool high tech roller blade/Jet Set Radio manga, to a shitty wtf manga where the president switched bodies with a schoolgirl.
May 27, 2012 7:02 PM
Oct 2008
Been reading this for the past 4 years loved it all the way through the good and bad now all we have to do is animate it... just please don't give it to Toei again please.
May 27, 2012 7:10 PM

May 2012
I have abot a MILLION other question but i'll just stick to one...

what's up with Buccha and Orca? i mean there in every panel together o.0

anyways so long air gear I hope you get another anime thats a bit easier to follow 3/5

May 27, 2012 7:23 PM

May 2009
i was really confused in the past chapters -______-
though it was a really bad ass battle :D
nice job author :bd
May 27, 2012 7:27 PM
Aug 2010
Just wanted to add that I'm really hoping that Oh Great! does come back with another manga.

I just wish he could put more interest and time in developing a good storyline the way he does for his art.

Oh Great! is an amazing talent, he can draw great battles, good ecchi scenes, and complex backgrounds, to say the very least I fully enjoyed Air Gear from an artistic stand point.
May 27, 2012 7:28 PM

Oct 2010
lame. ending kinda pissed me off.
happy that i can finally file this in the completed section.
May 27, 2012 7:33 PM
May 2008
iSinned said:
I have no idea what happened throughout the last arc.
I hope there's an anime to help simplify things for me >_>

Decent end I guess even if I didn't understand most of what was going on.

Yeah, I agree with you for sure :/ The actions in the panels made me confused and the plot in the last arc was completely confusing.
May 27, 2012 8:19 PM

Jul 2009
It has been a long run, and all I can say is that it was 'good'. If the plot wasn't all over the place, then I might have given it a higher score, but since there was so much happening at the same time, it often left me confused. The art is fantastic though; I really can't get enough of the female characters - they're all just so beautifully drawn (e.g. cover of the last chapter). But unfortunately, art alone can't define a good manga, so with that, Air Gear will get a 7.

That said, I do look forward to any future work of his. I adored his art ever since Tenjou Tenge, so again I'll follow him for his art alone. And maybe, just maybe, will his story improve in the next one.
KurogashiMay 27, 2012 11:41 PM
May 27, 2012 10:35 PM

Apr 2012
I've been disappointed even since the battle with kilik and how he chose ringo than kururu.This is bullshit.
It didn't met my expectations of how events would turn out even though it's amazing before those events.

But whatever.I give this manga: 7/10
Because at least it's enjoyable and amazing until that last arc.
May 28, 2012 4:06 AM

Feb 2010
not the best ending lots of unanswered question still left but overall it was great ride.
May 28, 2012 4:25 AM
Jul 2018

tailsxyakumo said:
Arghh, the ending would be complete if the author shows Ikki and Ringo together!

^^This

Damn it. Why didn't they end up together!?
May 28, 2012 5:19 AM

Feb 2012
I certainly agree with everything Ichigo03 said. Air gear had wonderful characters with character development and gorgeous art. Unfortunately Oh!great seems to me that he just couldn't stand writing it any more. You can understand that it’s rushed in every way

And some characters should have more to say especially in the end. One example is Agito. Oh!great sure showed a lot of love to this character as he threw from nowhere a third personality , a father, a love story between his parents and a romance rescue with Nakayama. After that Agito just sat there waiting for Ikki to finish his battle with Sora and saying random things. Then in the final chapter he just appeared in one page saying things like ‘I’m gonna be separated with Lind so you can be with my baby mum, daddy’. Seriously I expected more about this character, not to talk about poor Akito.

Also I wanted Oh!great to show us more about Kururu, Ume, Mikan, Orca and many other great and funny characters. What I really enjoyed in the last chapter was an all healthy Rika waiting to bring a new life to the world, Spitfire, Sano and Kilic random appearances and Emily’s love confession. Too bad there wasn’t little Agito x Yayoi and Ikki x Ringo romance in the end : )

To sum up, Air gear, for me, should continue for at least 100 more chapters…in order for some things to be explained…like what the hell is the connection between Ikki and Dr Minami…is it a random thing that they share the same surname???
SakonkeKojiMay 28, 2012 5:28 AM
May 28, 2012 6:49 AM
Jan 2012
THIS!!!

RickRoss-SamaMay 28, 2012 6:53 AM
May 28, 2012 9:40 AM

Jul 2009
A decent ending to a fast declining manga. The first 100+ chapters to Air Gear were brilliant then it started to become a clusterfuck of shit around the time they all went on that boat. It's a shame really because Air Gear used to be the only 'sports' manga I really liked. Overall I'll give it 7/10.
May 28, 2012 2:10 PM
May 2012
are there any other chapters that focused on ikkis romance other than chapter 240+ and 325 + after chapters 240+
May 28, 2012 8:13 PM

Aug 2011
I loved the manga so much until the last like 30-40 chapters. I didnt like the end...I was just as confusing as the ones before it.
May 28, 2012 8:30 PM

Sep 2011
I thought it was satisfying and besides, Oh!Great couldn't have ended it better in such a short amount of time. The final attack had already happened because as it turned out, the true deciding factor was Sora's Bloody Wings vs. Ikki's Astral Magus, and we all know who came out on top of that one. Pretty surprising that the final Trick would be more of a defensive one, especially considering how this is a shonen manga.

As for Sora surviving? Think about it people, the guy practically just got the worst punishment he could ever deserve. Sora was resigned to die for leaving everything behind (literally) and what? You just tell him to pick himself up and start over? That is not something that is easy to do and probably the harshest thing you can grant to someone who is so far gone that even he recognizes it.

Regarding Ikki, I like what OG did. He left it ambiguous, which in my opinion actually works for both kinds of fans. We never know if he was truly an experiment and if he was, does it even matter? After all in the end even Dr. Minami was rooting for Sora to win all along as he considered him his greatest experiment. So really that doesn't really leave much for Ikki. I like that it doesn't matter what Ikki really is, it's what he does that defines him (totally my Batman Begins reference right here).

I don't know why some people are confused about the last chapter though. It plays out like an anime ending episode where you see different "videos" being put together to close off different characters. I thought it was perfect, and it gave that uplifting feeling that life goes on.

Thank you for those 10 years Oh!Great. Air Gear may not be perfect, but it sure as hell is one of the most unique and enjoyable shonen manga series I have ever had the pleasure to read. Air Gear may not be perfect, but this last arc was pretty damn good in my eyes. To finish off at such a high note, I can say that I'm actually pretty damn satisfied.
ronriMay 29, 2012 4:23 PM
May 29, 2012 2:44 AM
Apr 2012
ichigo03 said:
Oh BOY....what a mess...

Agree with everything you said 110%. If they do decide to animate this I hope they change it halfway through like the original Full Metal Alchemist anime did.
May 29, 2012 4:43 AM
Sep 2007
Artwork is the saving grace of this manga, the plot became so stupid. I don't know if Oh! Great loves America since, he put so much of what was going on in America into his plot LOL, or he just likes making fun of America, could be both.

It was a fun and crazy read, but I would like to thank Oh! Great for Onigiri the god of all pigs, he the most awesome, and his fights was always fun to read.
Hi
May 29, 2012 12:43 PM

Feb 2008
This manga was SO good till around halfway point. Then it just become sillier and turned into one huge random mess.
Not to mention this final chapter which was just ugh.
May 30, 2012 7:04 AM

Jun 2009
Kayro said:
This manga was SO good till around halfway point. Then it just become sillier and turned into one huge random mess.

This pretty much hits the spot. An absolutelly awesome manga about sport, racing, speed, competition, gangs, challanges got turned into some world domination fight to the death and supernatural attacks bullshit. I liked the anime more actually (<3 the OST).

Still 7+/10 tho.
May 30, 2012 8:13 PM
Sep 2010
can someone tell me what happened to sleeping-forest after sora fought them
are they died or what cuz the last we ever saw of them they looked died to me???????
May 30, 2012 8:50 PM

Oct 2007
I've been reading this manga for 4 years now! It has always been on my favorites list and even the anime which is what got me into the manga in the first place has always been a favorite. I absolutely loved the concept of Air Gear and using ATs to fly towards the sky. Even to this day I listen to the Air Gear OST, especially Love Sensation and Chain :DDD

When I think back to how awesome this manga once was I am glad it has come to an end. I have so many questions that may be unanswered but even more so I have so many questions that I forgot since the chaos has been going for 100s of chapters. I do believe I will re-read it one day to better appreciate the manga but great work Oh Great! for 10 years and looking forward to the next series. Hopefully the artists learns from his mistake and keeps the triple layered metaphors, norse mythology and pointless characters to a minimum. There was a lot said in the last chapter and yet a lot missing but either way Air Gear will be a pleasant memory and hopefully a season 2 for anime can fill in some gaps! "Just look up and there's the sky..."

P.S WTF was Dr. Minami or Ikki...were they related...i guess there's no point asking since no one knows! hahaha XD
May 30, 2012 9:13 PM

Oct 2007
I just had to do this for those looking for some nostalgia:

http://youtu.be/DszuFn_vj00

And for those who have not seen the OVA (air gear part 2 basically):

http://youtu.be/9MTHU-7N1ro
Jun 2, 2012 12:59 PM

Jul 2011
I cant believe its over... This is one epic, amazing and great manga it will always be my favourite! I love it! The end was just perfect. never doubted in Oh!Great-senpai, and it was about time emily and Kazu to go out XD! more than Materpiece! Im looking forward to Oh!Great's new projects! I bet I will re-read this one day just amazing!
Jun 3, 2012 5:17 AM

Jan 2011
A variation of Murphy's Law said: "the fuck with that Stephen Hawking?!"
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Jun 10, 2012 7:32 AM

Jan 2008
ronri said:
I thought it was satisfying and besides, Oh!Great couldn't have ended it better in such a short amount of time. The final attack had already happened because as it turned out, the true deciding factor was Sora's Bloody Wings vs. Ikki's Astral Magus, and we all know who came out on top of that one. Pretty surprising that the final Trick would be more of a defensive one, especially considering how this is a shonen manga.

As for Sora surviving? Think about it people, the guy practically just got the worst punishment he could ever deserve. Sora was resigned to die for leaving everything behind (literally) and what? You just tell him to pick himself up and start over? That is not something that is easy to do and probably the harshest thing you can grant to someone who is so far gone that even he recognizes it.

Regarding Ikki, I like what OG did. He left it ambiguous, which in my opinion actually works for both kinds of fans. We never know if he was truly an experiment and if he was, does it even matter? After all in the end even Dr. Minami was rooting for Sora to win all along as he considered him his greatest experiment. So really that doesn't really leave much for Ikki. I like that it doesn't matter what Ikki really is, it's what he does that defines him (totally my Batman Begins reference right here).

I don't know why some people are confused about the last chapter though. It plays out like an anime ending episode where you see different "videos" being put together to close off different characters. I thought it was perfect, and it gave that uplifting feeling that life goes on.

Thank you for those 10 years Oh!Great. Air Gear may not be perfect, but it sure as hell is one of the most unique and enjoyable shonen manga series I have ever had the pleasure to read. Air Gear may not be perfect, but this last arc was pretty damn good in my eyes. To finish off at such a high note, I can say that I'm actually pretty damn satisfied.

I have pretty much the same feelings, though I'm not surprised so many people are disappointed with it.
Jun 19, 2012 8:09 AM
Aug 2010
I just wanted to finish this bullshit, I was great the first 100+ chapters after that it became nonsense, and the ending just fit what we were watching the last years.
Jun 19, 2012 10:17 AM

Feb 2011
Didn't know it ended but whatever I dropped this a while ago.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Air Gear Chapter 165 Discussion

VK11 - Aug 16, 2007

8 by Adriannitro »»
May 21, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Air Gear Chapter 349 Discussion

Ishmael - Mar 16, 2012

7 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 8, 10:37 AM

Poll: » Air Gear Chapter 332 Discussion

Hyoroemon - Oct 21, 2011

16 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 8, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Air Gear Chapter 325 Discussion

Aya-Brea - Aug 7, 2011

25 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 8, 8:08 AM

Poll: » Air Gear Chapter 323 Discussion

Aya-Brea - Jul 24, 2011

21 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 8, 7:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.