Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 25, 2007 10:45 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Will you absolutely not watch a show if it's only available in dubbed? There have been a few occasions where I could just not watch a series because the dub was sooo bad.

But, I've also had a situation or two where the subs were absolutely shit too. A accidently bought a bootleg DVD at one point in my anime watching career, and the subs were pretty much unreadable. They didn't provide english dubs either, so I was shit out of luck.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 25, 2007 5:36 PM

Mar 2007
As long as R1 DVD releases have a sub track (and fansubbing exists), I will not watch dubs.

Luckily, I learned of bootlegs early on and avoid them. So, I really have no reason to watch dubs. EVER. :D
You've come a long way, baby.
Jul 26, 2007 6:04 AM

Nov 2004
I've had a few tries, and every time the conclusion is, dubs = bad =)

Subs ftw
Jul 26, 2007 7:59 PM

Jun 2007
I will never allow another character to be butchered the way the entire cast of Law of Ueki and Hajime no Ippo. I'll make an exception for dubs in German or Spanish (so long as there are still subtitles). Those can be fun to watch.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jul 27, 2007 10:25 AM

Jul 2007
One reason I don't buy anime dvds is because I hate dubs and don't want to support them.

I know that's pretty bad because I'm not "supporting the industry" but I figure the industry is being supported by all those crazy "dub wubberz"
Jul 27, 2007 11:10 AM

Jun 2007
Lately, I just really prefer subtitled anime. I have watched dubbed anime but if I can find the subbed ones first, I'll go for them and leave the dubs for a last resort. I'm not too picky.
Jul 27, 2007 3:19 PM

Oct 2006
I watched Samurai Champloo dubbed because the subs on the DVD I have are awful. I also watched Robotech dubbed because that's how I used to watch it when I was a kid. Other than that, I pretty much can't stand dubs. I tried watching Ergo Proxy on TV the other night, but after 2 or 3 minutes I had to turn it off because the voice acting was so bad.
Jul 27, 2007 3:57 PM

Jul 2007
Xinil said:
Will you absolutely not watch a show if it's only available in dubbed? There have been a few occasions where I could just not watch a series because the dub was sooo bad.

Yes. That's why.
Say banzai to subs.
My goal is ikkitousan in anime watching - to watch and finish at least one thousand titles in my life time.
-- 千人斬
http://animediet.net/
Jul 28, 2007 9:36 AM

Jun 2007
I never watch dubs. When I was a kid I watched Pokemon and other children shows dubbed on tv, but that's different. I wasn't even aware that those shows were Japanese. Now that I consciously watch anime, I only watch subs. I won't buy a dvd unless it's got Japanese audio.
Jul 29, 2007 3:47 AM

Jun 2007
Lieke said:
I never watch dubs. When I was a kid I watched Pokemon and other children shows dubbed on tv, but that's different. I wasn't even aware that those shows were Japanese. Now that I consciously watch anime, I only watch subs. I won't buy a dvd unless it's got Japanese audio.

/sign

Really professional dubbed stuff like pokemon,YGO`n Stuff aired here in germany arent that bad too but everything else i listened to were much to horrible to discribe x.x

i WONT buy any DvD or watch anime unless the voice is original ( NoSub+OriginalVoice>Dub)
Aug 4, 2007 11:13 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Before I started watching fansubs, I watched a few shows dubbed on German TV like The Vision Of Escaflowne, Shin-chan (yes, I was bored), Ghost In The Shell and a few others.

But since it takes ages for anime DVDs to be released in Germany it's rather easy sticking with subs from the net. Subs are simply the best in my eyes.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 4, 2007 11:50 AM

Jul 2007
I was introduced to anime through dubs, and I used to like them, but when I learned of subtitled anime I found it fit the shows better.
In some cases I might watch dubs, and perhaps re-watch them as dubs to see the american take, if I think the anime is good enough to buy on DVD. Whether I will be able to stand rewatching as a dub on the other hand...

NGE, which I bought, for instance, is a horrible dub that I can't even bear to watch for more than two minutes...

So, yes I'll watch dubs as long as they're good and I've already seen the series subbed xD
Aug 8, 2007 12:21 AM

Aug 2007
As I'm learning Japanese, it's slowly becoming clear how widespread 'dubtitling' (i.e. using the english dub script for subtitles, rather than translating the japanese audio literally) really is. This is actually worse for me than dubbing in some cases. If I watch a dub, at least I don't end up going "NO. He DID NOT just say that!" about every two minutes. The worst example of this I've met yet is the Buena Vista DVD release of Laputa - literally minutes of subs for lines that simply aren't there on the Japanese audio track.

Nowadays there's no excuse not to include the Japanese audio on DVDs. I was utterly shocked when I bought Ghost in the Shell on UMD (It's my favourite film and it was going cheap, so I got it as a sort of experiment, to see if UMD video was at all worthwhile) and it had ENGLISH ONLY. Not even any subs. Those UMDs are small but they'd fit another audio track and some subs. Today's experiment .......failed. No more video UMDs.
Sep 2, 2007 7:39 PM

Sep 2007
I never watch dubs no matter what if its not subbed(only exception was "Samurai Deeper Kyo" because i watched together with my little brother) i'm not watching it end of story. First of even if the subs are off on the translations if you keep watching subbed anime you get to learn the language, second thing if the subtitles are of then someone makes a DUB that make it sound even different whats the point? the original story gets changed big time just by changing some words (if you take "Die" and turn it into "i'm going to kill you" it changes the overall personality of the character) and overall the entire personality changes (might be good for some shows but im not interested in finding out) when you change a calm and scary japanese voice and turn it into a blubbering english one
Sep 11, 2007 12:07 PM

Aug 2007
all the dubs are bad..., if i cant find in sub
i will search all the world just not hear the dub..........
Sep 20, 2007 9:43 AM

Jul 2007
I've only seen dubs when I were younger and saw the early things for kids that they aired: Transformers, a bit of Sailor Moon and Pokémon... Now when I watch anime as a more serious hobby I never watch dubs. I would only buy DVD's of series that I really loved and that they come with subs + original japanese audio, else I'd let it be (and that the series would be avaiable close to me)...
The only instance that I would watch a dubbed series is when I've already seen it in japanese and just want to hear how they did with the english butchering.
Sep 30, 2007 1:46 PM

Sep 2007
One of the reasons I learn Japanese, is to watch anime even without subs O.o
Oct 3, 2007 11:19 AM

Apr 2007
For me that line between subs and dubs is uncrossable. I would rather watch it without sound than with dub.

Dubs = Kinda like watching some good movie with a boring russian guy doing the voices of ALL casts.

Yes so bad is it for me.
ZeroKewlOct 3, 2007 11:28 AM
Oct 11, 2007 9:00 AM

Jul 2007
I've watched dubs. But that was when I first started watching anime, and it was on VHSs that my cousins had recorded.(I didn't have a lot of options) When I learned how to use the internet and torrents...goodbye dubs.
The only dubs I will watch now are Ranma1/2, Sailor Moon, Yu-gi-oh(gag), DB, and Slayers because those are the animes I grew up with, and they were dubbed when I first watched them.
Other then that, I'd rather eat my shoe then watch a dub. >.<

Oct 12, 2007 11:04 AM
Jun 2007
Normally I never watch dubs, but I sometimes make exceptions like I have with Haruhi (or there are also dubs I've watched in the past before I even knew what anime was, like a lot of people have). I don't think I'd go as far as never watching a show if it's only available in dub, but rather I'd probably watch it when I run out of subs to watch. Subs always come before dubs.
Oct 17, 2007 8:21 AM

May 2007
i once downloaded akira (took me 5 days omg) and later on i found out that it was Dubbed... well...i had to watch it dubbed.....

Oct 21, 2007 10:06 PM

Oct 2007
All I use to watch were dubbed because I didn't think reading and watching the anime would work out to well. Later I found out that subtitle anime isn't all that bad. Plus some of the dubbed anime voices really aren't that good. Anyway all I watch now is subtitles and if I'm going to buy a anime I buy subtitles. I don't watch dubbed anime anymore unless its one of my old DVDs that I bough before I started watching subtitles. I think the one thing that did it for me with the dubbed anime was Naruto saying "Believe It" O.o
Oct 24, 2007 7:17 PM

Oct 2007
With me, I remember the days before dvd players and bilingual dvds were around. XD (And I'm not even very old, I'm still in high school, lol)
When I was little, I grew up with dubs. It didn't even occur to me that anime came from Japan or that it was even anime. I beleive I figured it out in around 4th or 5th grade.
When I was about 6 I used to watch Pokemon like crazy, and I tried watching Sailor Moon and I absolutely HATED it. XD I think I'd only watched it two times, never to watch it again...Then I watched Card Captor Sakura at my aunts house once and didn't know what it was called but I loved it, I was so upset when I couldn't find it on WB32 anymore, lol.
I don't know what started it, but in middle school I borrowed Sailor Moon Stars volume 2 manga from a friend and I really liked it, so I rented some Sailor Moon dvds and started to like it a lot, so I bought my first Sailor Moon dvds a year or two ago and absolutely adored them. I wasn't the biggest fan of Usagi (aka Serena LOL)'s voice but I was like "Eh, what the hell, I can live with it." XD Then I tried watching it in Japanese and I didn't like it. But after I learned of Sailor Moon Stars anime, I learned the only way I could watch it was in Japanese, so I watched it and fell in love with it, and I think that started my liking of Japanese subbed anime..
I still watch dubs just to see what the voices sound like and stuff, but I'll generally watch the series in Japanese whether I have to buy the dvd or watch fansubs.
Now my anime collection varies. My dad gets annoyed with all my fansubbed anime and Japanese/Taiwanese Live actions on his computer, so I burn it all to dvd and then wait for it to be licenced so I can buy the dvd if I like it. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, that one is special. I like the dub voices a lot, though Kyon's voice lacks a bit. ^^; I almost quit on that series twice though, lol. The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina was the cause, lol.
I have oldish anime vhs tapes, like the Pokemon movies, Pokemon: Pikachu Party, plenty of Sailor Moon tapes, some subbed, some dubbed. (Recent purchases, lol. I couldn't afford any of the dvds so I bought the vhs tapes. XD) And tons and tons of dvds that I bought on amazon and ebay, all bilingual, and then theres all my fansubbed live actions and anime. ^_^ In fact, I had over 80gb of live actions and anime on the hard drive. XD On my laptop hard drive I had 1 movie, lol, Death Note, and I lost it to my hard drive's death. XD I redownloaded it on the desktop and burned it. (I treasure my Death Note stuff)

If a dvd doesn't have the bilingual option (like the old old old Sailor Moon dvds) I'd probably only buy them if they were incredebly cheap. XD

Give it your all....
Squueeee! <333 Oguri Shun-sama! *drools* :'D
Oct 28, 2007 3:35 PM

Jun 2007
I started watching dubs when I first watch anime. I thought it was pretty good till I started watching subs. I could see the big difference. And trying to watch dubs again...makes me not want to watch anime again!
Oct 31, 2007 6:28 AM
Oct 2007
well.....original japanese sound much much better than dubbed series...the only series i watch dubbed would be those when i was still young....maybe dragon ball, digimons and sort..
Nov 2, 2007 10:31 PM

Oct 2007
I havent been watching anime that long, but I do have to say that my first favorite anime, Witch Hunter Robin, I watched with dubbed voices, it wasnt that bad. Now since then ive been watching my anime online and with subtitles, which, i have found, i prefer....now i need to go back and watch Robin again and see what its like. Im a little afraid that it might be completely different, from what ive found though.

Nov 7, 2007 9:01 AM

Oct 2007
as much as possible i don't want to watch dubs. co'z i always get disappointed in the end. right now i only watch subs

Nov 7, 2007 8:02 PM

Oct 2007
I will make the exceptions for dubs with only Kodocha, Fruits Basket, and Pokemon. Those are the only ones I've ever seen dubbed. With the exceptions that if I really want to watch an anime and I can't find subbed ones. Right now though I'm watching a japanese [English subbed] pokemon of diamond and pearl because I don't have a channel to watch Pokemon on and I've sadly never gotten a chance to see the new series which seems really interesting.
And I've seen the japanese version of Fruits Basket and I really disliked Yuki's voice cause it seemed WAY to girly so I quit watching it japanese and watched it English instead.

Nov 13, 2007 11:13 PM
Oct 2007
The only anime I've watched where I greatly preferred the English dub was Ghost Stories, for reasons which should be obvious if you've heard anything at all about the dub. I actually only bothered to watch the first episode in Japanese, but I couldn't stand it and watched the rest of it dubbed. It kills me a little that ADV changed the script so much, but despite that I thought the dub was very amusing. (I’d probably be really pissed off if they did something like that to an anime I liked, though.)
Nov 15, 2007 7:11 AM
Overseer

Nov 2007
For me personally i only watch dubs when im used to that ... old transformers, dragonball, Yu-Gi-Oh, pokemon (in dutch even..) its odd to see that japanese when you've seen the entire series in english/dutch (though it were tv releases).

When it comes to buying anime and watching fansubs, then subs ftw!
I hate it when i get a dual track ogg/mkv file and the base language is set to english >_>;

Id love to say "zOMG DUBS SUCK!" .. but they dont, all just depends on the viewer in the end ... i know my girl refused to watch Howl's moving castle with me cause i set it to japanese with english subs... shes american and totally not used to reading subtitles, so then you get quite an issue.... think that if she really wants to watch an anime with me and wants it on english, that ill watch to make her happy ... ill just watch it in JP when i get time alone XD;

Ah and one more thing .. new to the site and club :3 so HI EVERYONE~!

Overseer of the Guardians of the Great Tomb of Nazarick

ISTP-A True Neutral Gender Fluid Twitch Addict

Nov 16, 2007 9:05 AM

Sep 2007
I've been only up to episode 11 of Starship Operators because 12 is dubbed. I have 13 subbed but I can't stand it that 12 isn't (or at least I can't find it anywhere). So I've been refusing to finish it until someone has 12 subbed that I can easily access (torrents don't work well for me).

Dubs almost make me gag. There are numerous times I've tried watching 12 dubbed but I cringe at the first english word I hear and I immediately x out of the window.
Nov 16, 2007 5:44 PM
Overseer

Nov 2007
Iriya said:
I've been only up to episode 11 of Starship Operators because 12 is dubbed. I have 13 subbed but I can't stand it that 12 isn't (or at least I can't find it anywhere). So I've been refusing to finish it until someone has 12 subbed that I can easily access (torrents don't work well for me).

Dubs almost make me gag. There are numerous times I've tried watching 12 dubbed but I cringe at the first english word I hear and I immediately x out of the window.

How i know that feeling with new anime :')
thhough honestly stil keep it till i found subbed version, so that if i cant find it i can still watch it (with pain, but better then not seeing it imho)

Nov 17, 2007 7:55 AM

Sep 2007
For me, any dubbed version of an anime episode is just the result of a misclick on a download link, 150-200mb of data waiting to be deleted.
If i can't find the japanese version, i'd rather not see it at all :P
The Japanese have what could be called an "interesting" grammatical structure, but could also be called "confusing", "random", "bogus" or "evil".
Nov 17, 2007 12:31 PM
Overseer

Nov 2007
Yoha said:
For me, any dubbed version of an anime episode is just the result of a misclick on a download link, 150-200mb of data waiting to be deleted.
If i can't find the japanese version, i'd rather not see it at all :P

Usually i would agree on that, though due to the fact that i download per serie more then per episode i sometimes feel that its a waste to sacrifise the serie just cause of dubs if i cant get a subbed version.
Basicly the story doesnt get better or worse, just annoying to watch ^_^;

Atm getting full DBZ serie, and 99% sure its dubbed... but ive seen the dub version on TV so wondering in how far i should be bothered by it .. i know the story and characters... i know the voices as they are in the dubbed ... so i honestly doubt that it will be bad in my perception ... (and honestly feel that DBZ was dubbed good ... and i wont say that often x_X)
Though.. if anyone knows a subbed version of the complete serie .. IM me? :3

Nov 20, 2007 11:30 AM

Sep 2007
Ranma 1/2 and Slayers are the only anime I'd watch dubbed.
Cuz OMG there actually watchable.
Nov 22, 2007 10:58 AM

Nov 2007
For me it really depends. If there is nothing else on to watch then I will watch FUN or AdultSwim.

But 95% of anime that is dubbed I will not touch.
Nov 22, 2007 5:15 PM

Nov 2007
Dubs for me are like a necessary evil. Most people start anime on dubs and probably would not have if it had been only subbed. I was not unusual to this pattern. However I have gone back re-watched series I saw dubbed and felt betrayed by: One the translation is more accurate with subs. Argue the point if you like but the closer you can get to the authors original intent (this includes how characters say things and what they say) the better the series is. Dubs cannot by their nature be completely accurate. Even more importantly though: Two The quality of the voice actors. All too often I hear dub fans downplay the importance of voice actors or try to compare them to their Japanese counterparts. In reality the dub voice actors are eons behind because they lack even the most basic ability to accurately portray the correct emotion at the correct level. Usually they undershoot or overshoot on the amount of emotion required. These are my main two reason I will not even tolerate dubs. Usually my goal is to put as much space between me and a dub if one is playing as possible. So I tolerate the existence of dubs for growing the anime fan base. Other than that they are pure evil and must be destroyed.
Dec 3, 2007 4:05 PM
Jul 2007
99% of the time I watch it subtitled. If I had it my way I would never watch a dub, sometimes that's impossible though. For instance my Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is ONLY in English, now from what I've heard that's the original dub but i'm not too sure about that, either way I wanted it in Japanese. The Cowboy Bebop movie, in english. For me dubbing doesn't matter when it's more of a kiddy show like Digimon (I watched in English) It had almost no effect on how I felt about the show. But something more serious, Ergo Proxy or Gankutsuou, cannot EVER be done in english properly. Ever. The amount of English Dubs out there that are decent are insanely small. I buy anime, and have amassed a pretty small but awsome collection. So far for me, the best English dub has been Afro Samurai, but that's cause they actually paid for Samuel L Jackson, which is always for the win.

I can see how some people (VERY slow readers) need to watch their anime dubbed. They complain about how subtitles "detract from the art." Whenever they say this I want to tell them that the dub rapes and destroys the anime itself. However I read really quickly and I never really take my eyes off the art, that's why, for me at least, subtitling is always the way to go.
Dec 3, 2007 6:47 PM
Aug 2007
Lucky for me I found fansubs fairly fast and can say I've only watched 3 series ever in English. When it is in English with no option to switch to Japanese I say screw it, not gonna watch. I call all dubs crap. The only exception I can say is FMA but I watched that fairly early in English and when I compared the two they were fairly close but now I'd choose the Japanese. No point in watching anime without the Japanese aspect to it and that is what fansubers do, keep Japanese shows well Japanese while Americans think that Japanese culture is too hard for people to understand so they try to cut it out everywhere
Jan 5, 2008 10:29 AM

Dec 2007
Hmm.. lets see....

SCREW DUBS!
Yeah... I'd say i don't even try to watch dubs... It's like... hmm... Playing flight simulator without joystick.... or playing Guitar piece on keyboard. You can change sound, the effect will be the same and everybody knows what it is about, but yet it's just "not it". For me, sound is half of the mood in Anime... What I especially hate is when Americans try to do the high-pitched voices... I mean when you watch jp. audio it seems natural, but with english it just sounds stupid...

I watched a few episodes of Inuyasha in eng dubs... I'd say you kinda get used to it, and after 4 eps I stop paying attention, but I still refuse to watch dubbed eps, unless it is a critical must. If it was a poll where 1 is "i don't care which I watch" and 5 "I absolutely won't watch series unless it's a sub" I'd say i'm 4 - 4.5 <hint hint> XD

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Jan 26, 2008 7:35 AM

Dec 2007
once i've wached escaflowne with dubs... i almost puked. the way they say "hitomi" for example. i couldn't stand it...
that was my first and last time waching anything with dubs.
Jan 26, 2008 3:10 PM

Nov 2007
My experience with horrible dubs like Sailor Moon have made it so that I can't watch dubs unless I have no other option. I've gotten to the point that I despise dubs so much that if I can't find a show subbed in English, I'll look up Spanish, Portuguese, or even Italian subs (since I'm fluent in Spanish and can understand the last 2 fairly well). If all else fails, I'll still watch the show raw if it has simple dialogue, since I can still understand about 25% of what is being said.
Jan 28, 2008 9:30 PM

Jan 2008
I would search and search till the end of time. If no luck, I'd hurry the hell up and learn Japanese.
Mar 2, 2008 9:02 PM
Mar 2008
Me too...dubs just seem so...unnatural and crappy, the original japanese voices are sooo much better.
The ONLY 2 animes that sound good dubbed are Trigun and Dragon Ball Z...other than those, dubs just sound like sh*t and i'd rather learn japanese (actually I've been wanting to learn japanese)

P.S. Bara Suishou (or Barasuishou) is awesome ^^
Mar 23, 2008 1:50 AM

Sep 2007
There was a few dubs I came across because i saw a preview that was subbed. And I searched and searched and found the anime and bah.. it was dubbed.. so ok i gave it a chance.. I actually sat and watched ghost stories with my boyfriend cur he wanted to see it so badly.. i nearly pulled out my hair. to this day i keep searching around to see if i can find a subbed version of it. I was nice tho. I didn't tell him how much i hated the voices in it. I swear tho. I don't watch anime's with him anymore. I keep it to "my time" only .
Mar 23, 2008 9:07 AM

Oct 2007
i only watch dub when there's no other choice
Mar 28, 2008 9:24 PM

Dec 2007
I never have problems finding subs. But if the anime is not really worth watching and I can't find subs I just drop it, plain and simple.
I actually used to watch dub, but that was when I just discovered anime. I am very ashamed. :(
But now my ears are really sensitive to people's voices. (like if someone speaks nasally or if their voice sounds like they've been smoking one too many joints) I end up avoiding people with a voice I don't like. So it's a necessity to watch sub.

I've become very good at locating subs, so if you're looking for anything chances are I might have found it.
Mar 30, 2008 5:01 PM

Feb 2008
I grew up watching dubs on TV and thought they were ok at the time. I even had fond memories of many of the shows. But looking back, I don't know how I was able to stand it!

The one exception is Fruits Basket, simply because I could not tolerate Yuki with a girl's voice. (Tohru's voice makes my eardrums bleed either way, lol)
Apr 16, 2008 10:25 AM

Apr 2008
Dubs? No. Never. Once I was desperate so as to give a dubbed version of Akira a try but it was simply unbearable. Guess I'm one of those guys who will not watch an anime as long as it's dubbed (which means it's only a matter of time I do watch it considering the overall availability of subs :)).

BTW, I can't stand the same phenomenon as far as movies in general are concerned. Dubbing SUCKS and voice-over isn't any better, if you ask me.
失われた翼を探して
Apr 16, 2008 12:38 PM

Jul 2007
Xinil said:
Will you absolutely not watch a show if it's only available in dubbed?

What? Where? There is always the original audio, dunno about America. Okay DBZ is better in eng dub but that just tells the quality of that show/shit.
Blacksatanman666Apr 16, 2008 12:42 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» soft subs or hard subs

ranax - Jan 28, 2008

30 by DreamingGhost »»
May 27, 2023 1:27 PM

» Dattebayo Staff Arrested at Otakon

Gremshula - Jul 27, 2007

23 by Mana »»
Apr 3, 2016 7:21 PM

» Subs and profanity

me-262 - Aug 24, 2012

6 by me-262 »»
Oct 23, 2013 9:43 AM

» Let's draw a line between ''I simply don't watch dubs'' and ''Screw 'em all''

Nobleman - Oct 31, 2007

42 by IntroverTurtle »»
Oct 25, 2012 12:08 AM

» the worst dubs ( 1 2 3 )

yin- - Sep 7, 2007

104 by TwinofPower »»
Jan 2, 2012 4:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.