Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 4, 9:24 AM
Nov 2018
So I love this anime but one thing I've noticed is that Fern and Frieren never struggle in any battles. I understand with Frieren but I would like to see Fern struggle against others in her field because it feels like there is zero competition. Like even in the recent episodes, both Frieren and Fern had teammates who seem to be above everyone else. Like I know this show isn't focused on action but I would just like to see some cool fights that aren't one sided.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 4, 9:39 AM
Oct 2023
Royalty459 said:
So I love this anime but one thing I've noticed is that Fern and Frieren never struggle in any battles. I understand with Frieren but I would like to see Fern struggle against others in her field because it feels like there is zero competition. Like even in the recent episodes, both Frieren and Fern had teammates who seem to be above everyone else. Like I know this show isn't focused on action but I would just like to see some cool fights that aren't one sided.

Fern did struggle in the fight against the demons, but she just hasn’t had enemies as strong as them since
Feb 4, 9:47 AM
Jan 2021
I personally think Frieren being OP makes sense both for her character and for the story. I'd feel a little weird and wouldn't think it fit if her character fought equally, got beat up, and had to struggle to win.
Maybe it'll happen at some point, but I've enjoyed having Frieren be the backbone of the team that you can count on to get them out of any situation by patiently observing and/or acting calmly. Things haven't gotten too dark/intense since she is someone you can trust to save the day (and not in the shonen plot armor "I got beat down and now power up" kinda way) and I really like that. Her fight scenes are more awesome - literally - than intense

Fern I think has struggled (against the demons for instance) and will struggle moving forward at some points, it's just harder to see because of her neutral demeanor
Feb 4, 9:48 AM
Nov 2018
Of course there, OP. Frieren spent over 1000 years learning magic. Fern is her student. On top of everything, they're the main characters of the anime.
Feb 4, 9:59 AM

Apr 2020
This is one show where it actually makes sense for the main character to start OP as hell. Frieren has both power and experience accumulated for more than a thousand years behind her.

In the case of Fern, she has actually struggled before and will do so again later on. She just doesn't show it too much on her face...and she's not the only one, as you will attest to in later arcs. This is just how the the author/artist roll and really, you'll just have to accept this and move on.
Feb 4, 10:03 AM

Apr 2020
Show is not about that.

Power scaling doesn't matter, cause the Shonen thing is over, already (for the most part). The demon King is defeated. That is literally what makes this show unique.

Fern and Frieren beeing strong is NOT what makes this Anime good or bad. It's simply not about that.
Merve2LoveFeb 4, 10:06 AM
Feb 4, 10:15 AM
Mar 2021
i swear the denken vs frieren fight was much more balanced in the manga than anime or maybe i just read it in a very different way
Feb 4, 10:18 AM
Jul 2021
Royalty459 said:

No spoilers but Fern is the next great human mage … the wrap of test 1 has all the scattered hints that Frieren is the last great mage.

So I suppose that they are OP in the sense that they are the best of the best 😀
Feb 4, 10:23 AM

Sep 2016
Not really, this show is power fantasy done right.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 4, 10:32 AM

Nov 2020
I think the fight with Lugner was even
Feb 4, 11:34 AM
Feb 2021
I must admit I get in a strange fever of excitement when I see Frieren "turn the World upside down" with her magic. You're wondering "just what is this gorgeous elf capable of?" But I do worry it's a kind of cheap thrill that will eventually harm the show. At this point she might as well be God.
But for now it's still pretty much my favourite anime period
Feb 4, 11:52 AM
May 2016
No spoilers but I think your opinion is bound to change once you see the demons raise the power ceiling of the whole show.
Feb 4, 12:32 PM

Mar 2023
she's like 5000 years old of course she'll be that powerful
Feb 4, 1:46 PM
Jan 2023
Frieren is a little too OP I think but it’s not like OP main character is unusual in fantasy anime.
Feb 4, 1:54 PM

Mar 2016
Frieren being OP makes a lot of sense, firstly, she is a long lived elf, who has been fighting demons for a long time. She even defeated the Demon King with Himmel, Heiter and Eisen. Secondly, she does have a Holy Emblem, equivalent to a First Clas Mage, or possibly even higher. She has a lot of skill, so it wouldn't make much sense for her to not be OP.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Feb 4, 3:20 PM

Apr 2012
Frieren has been around long enough NOT to be scared of anything that would hurt them. The demon king is no longer around so there's nothing out there more threatening than that.

What Frieren really wants to do with the lake!

Janethan23Feb 4, 3:41 PM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Feb 4, 3:36 PM
Feb 2021
Well...Frieren is not present in top 5 of the verse and present in late top 10 at best
Fern is talented but not OP - now she is on weak 1-st rank mage lvl at best. Her lack of the battle experience dragging her down
Feb 4, 3:41 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to Gavinmercer
I must admit I get in a strange fever of excitement when I see Frieren "turn the World upside down" with her magic. You're wondering "just what is this gorgeous elf capable of?" But I do worry it's a kind of cheap thrill that will eventually harm the show. At this point she might as well be God.
Gavinmercer said:
Not even close. Current Frieren is on Greater demon lvl
Characters like Serie would mop the floor with her. Most of Seven Sages would be very tough opponents with uncertain result of the fight between them
Feb 4, 3:48 PM
Aug 2021
Fern is so strong because she conceals her mana just like Freren and has done since she was a child. The other human mages don't really do that I don't believe so their mana doesn't grow as much?
Feb 4, 8:03 PM
Jan 2021
Royalty459 said:

The show ain’t really about like fighting it’s about there journey and then fighting is just more of a side thing so I don’t necessarily think like them just being op matters too much. It’s kind of the point like she’s thousands of years old being fought by her master who studied under the greatest mage of all time and frierens master is also one of the greats of all time and then so on and so forth with fern u kno. So like it’s more about there journey and character development not so much like a battle shounen progression where there fights show there growth instead of other events
Feb 4, 9:08 PM
Feb 2021
She admitted to losing several times against other mages so I assume there will be a time she will face someone powerful enough to where she needs to use other magic or at least struggles to beat them.
Feb 4, 9:23 PM
Nov 2017
Fern have a talent to supress her manna, supressing manna for years constantly nonstop is one of the hardest training for mage.
Fern OP-ness will solidified in the end of this exam arc.
Feb 4, 10:52 PM
Sep 2021
the issue isn't that they're both OP,. the issue is that despite the great production values, the fights are super lame and boring, it's literally " spam one move and win lol " even the series itself calls this out by the other characters asking Fern " why do you just use basic spells "

the fights have no substance or strategy to them, it's just " wow!! did you see how gorgeous this animation is bro!! did you see how strong Frieren bro!!? she broke a whole barrier made by the greatest mage of all time!! she defeated a demon just by having higher mana than her!! so cool and exciting!!

most basic shit ever

" but but!! um akshully the anime isn't about that !!! 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓 "

if you're going to add an element to a story, you better do it right

just because the anime/manga isn't focused on action doesn't mean the fights have to be lame and have no stakes/strategy/etc

that's like excusing Demon slayer's bad comedy and Naruto's bad romance by saying : " well the anime isn't about comedy or romance!! "

it's a stupid counter argument
Feb 5, 1:31 AM
Apr 2021
Royalty459 said:

Mages these days are not crazy in combat, with the defeat of the demon lord peace took over and the search of magic become more a search for status and knowledge than a need to defend oneself.
its like if a 18yrs old now had to fight a 18yrs old that lived during WW1
Fern hasnt a personal style, so far she is a copy of her master (wich is totally understandable since they're together since childhood and frieren is like a mother at this point), still frieren lvl is close to Serie, they are both long lived mages that collected spells their whole lives (despite having diferent motivations) and Fern is a genius with considerable talent and real gfight experience. We tend to overlook Fern as a girl who just got strong because she had frieren but since childhood Fern was hella capable and would reach the lvl of the other candidates even if she studied alone.

now, she fought a high demon executioner like it was nothing while others have "fighting the ddemon army" - canon fodder, as their biggest achievement, ofc its not goingvto be fair.
but tbh having denken fighting Fern in a future round would be more balanced than frieren XD
Feb 5, 1:51 AM
Apr 2021
Saimatsu_Fan said:
the issue isn't that they're both OP,. the issue is that despite the great production values, the fights are super lame and boring, it's literally " spam one move and win lol " even the series itself calls this out by the other characters asking Fern " why do you just use basic spells "

the fights have no substance or strategy to them, it's just " wow!! did you see how gorgeous this animation is bro!! did you see how strong Frieren bro!!? she broke a whole barrier made by the greatest mage of all time!! she defeated a demon just by having higher mana than her!! so cool and exciting!!

most basic shit ever

just because the anime/manga isn't focused on action doesn't mean the fights have to be lame and have no stakes/strategy/etc

that's like excusing Demon slayer's bad comedy and Naruto's bad romance by saying : " well the anime isn't about comedy or romance!! "

you must be rotten from shounens my guy

in the fight with Aura, Frieren changed trought yrs (she was way more flashier and badass on the flashbacks but thks to himmel she grew respect out of the beheaded soldiers) so she bet it all on the demons inate pride to use the scales instead of going for a showdown that would imply numberical disadvantage, thats strategy

by breaking the barrier she was not carrying the team on her own and was just making the girls have a fair fight, even after fighting Aura she didnt rush to Stark and Fern to be all like "Its ok, Im here" despite having so much mana to spare thats not her character sry, not a shounen, she likes to have others fight their own battles and grow with them
she did not fire their guns for them she just gave them ammo.

If you're so far into the show and havent understood a single thing of the mc then just drop it, ure not gonna wake up next ep and magically realize what theyve been showing u for 17 eps lol
Feb 5, 2:00 AM
Sep 2021
Alex_the_reaper said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

most basic shit ever

in the fight with Aura, Frieren changed trought yrs (she was way more flashier and badass on the flashbacks but thks to himmel she grew respect out of the beheaded soldiers) so she bet it all on the demons inate pride to use the scales instead of going for a showdown that would imply numberical disadvantage, thats strategy

by breaking the barrier she was not carrying the team on her own and was just making the girls have a fair fight, even after fighting Aura she didnt rush to Stark and Fern to be all like "Its ok, Im here" despite having so much mana to spare thats not her character sry, not a shounen, she likes to have others fight their own battles and grow with them

If you're so far into the show and havent understood a single thing of the mc then just drop it, ure not gonna wake up next ep and magically realize what theyve been showing u for 17 eps lol

" you must be rotten from shounens "

You do realize this is a shounen series, right ?

" That's strategy " ah yes having more mana than your enemy is a strategy

The issue isn't that she's carrying the team fights or not, it's that they're LAME

" You haven't understood a single thing "

Oh boy we're having " um Actually you need a high IQ to understand this " arguments in 2024

Man, Frieren fans are sure the rick and Morty fans of the anime fandom
Feb 5, 2:47 AM
Apr 2021
Saimatsu_Fan said:
Alex_the_reaper said:

The issue isn't that she's carrying the team fights or not, it's that they're LAME

Oh boy we're having " um Actually you need a high IQ to understand this " arguments in 2024

are u one of those watchers who click the skip 10 secs arrow every 20 secs or smthing?
She didn't won against Aura cause she was stronger, having more mana doesn't determine she would win, she HERSELF said she would be in trouble if Aura decided to fight, she had an army and a Op lvl of mana as well, so she bet the victory on the certainty she had that Aura, full of pride, would use the scales to show her superiority. Like cmone my guy Frieren said it HERSELF, you can have a bad opinion of the show no one forces you to like it, i enjoy lots of bad shows and consider many "masterpieces" overhyped and overrated but dont try to rewrite tge story when its LITERALLY on the screen.

Alex_the_reaperFeb 5, 2:53 AM
Feb 5, 3:15 AM
Nov 2020
Freiren lived thousands of years suppressing her mana and was a student of Flamme who is considered one of the strongest human mages to ever exist. Fern is her student and achieved her strength through years of training so it makes sense for her to be OP.
Feb 5, 3:22 AM
Sep 2021
Alex_the_reaper said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

are u one of those watchers who click the skip 10 secs arrow every 20 secs or smthing?
She didn't won against Aura cause she was stronger, having more mana doesn't determine she would win, she HERSELF said she would be in trouble if Aura decided to fight, she had an army and a Op lvl of mana as well, so she bet the victory on the certainty she had that Aura, full of pride, would use the scales to show her superiority. Like cmone my guy Frieren said it HERSELF, you can have a bad opinion of the show no one forces you to like it, i enjoy lots of bad shows and consider many "masterpieces" overhyped and overrated but dont try to rewrite tge story when its LITERALLY on the screen.

" i would've been in trouble " is the series pretending it has stakes lol

you're talking about the mage who broke a barrier made by the best mage ever, do you unironically think that she'd would have an ACTUAL trouble against Literally metal puppets
Feb 5, 4:30 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to Saimatsu_Fan
Alex_the_reaper said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

you're talking about the mage who broke a barrier made by the best mage ever, do you unironically think that she'd would have an ACTUAL trouble against Literally metal puppets
@Saimatsu_Fan Frieren didn't want to smash the bodies of the fallen soldiers, she did it once and Himmel was angry with her because she didn't show them respect, so now she decided to defeat Aura by playing her game.
Feb 5, 4:30 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to Saimatsu_Fan
Alex_the_reaper said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

@Saimatsu_Fan Frieren didn't want to smash the bodies of the fallen soldiers, she did it once and Himmel was angry with her because she didn't show them respect, so now she decided to defeat Aura by playing her game.
Feb 5, 5:27 AM
Nov 2023
you guys should know... frieren isn't op😅
she is not even at top 3
Feb 5, 5:56 AM
Jan 2021
Frieren is an Elf who's over 1000 years old , her master was Flammes, the strongest human mage in history, who was also taught by Serie, who's a walking Griomore!!!

It makes sense that she's the strongest & that her apprentice would as well.
Feb 5, 6:48 AM
May 2022
It’s not a battle shounen so I fail to see why that’d matter
Feb 5, 8:37 AM
Jul 2023
This isn’t a shonnen
Fights aren’t even supposed to be a large aspect in this anime so don’t focus on the power scaling
Feb 5, 8:37 AM
Nov 2022
Janethan23 said:
Frieren has been around long enough NOT to be scared of anything that would hurt them. The demon king is no longer around so there's nothing out there more threatening than that.

Himmel approves this post
Feb 5, 3:14 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to Saimatsu_Fan

most basic shit ever

Saimatsu_Fan said:
the issue is that despite the great production values, the fights are super lame and boring, it's literally " spam one move and win lol " even the series itself calls this out by the other characters asking Fern " why do you just use basic spells "
So basically it all boils down to you having shit opinion. Characters use basic magic, the story tells you why they use basic magic and yet you still complain about them using basic magic???
If basic magic is effective enough to win fights than that's all the two are going to use - simple as that. "spam one move and win lol" is what sore losers who get recked by Fern/Frieren would say as a hard-cope and to discredit all the training these two went through to make the spam look so easy.

I bet you'd be whining about "boring swordfights" after watching realistic fights instead of usual flashy Hollywood garbage where they do all the cringe static bindings or flashy spinning that gets you killed easily.

Saimatsu_Fan said:
the fights have no substance or strategy to them
Ironic how someone who complains about boring fights talks about strategy as if they care. Strategy doesn't have to be entertaining. Casting flashy magic for the sake of looking fancy is moronic and the story made it clear to everyone that the two don't use magic (when fighting) to impress people. They fight to survive and win. Inability to accept this is akin to (again) complaining why a master swordsman isn't doing spins every five seconds like they do in your average X movie.

Appear weak when strong - is the strategy Frieren devoted her entire life to, and so does Fern to deceive the true enemy; though it works on humans too.

Saimatsu_Fan said:
she broke a whole barrier made by the greatest mage of all time!!
After analyzing it, yes. Frieren is also one of the greatest mages if you haven't noticed. If Fern did all this then your argument would've sounded less silly TBH. Frieren doing it wasn't nearly that surprising.

Saimatsu_Fan said:
she defeated a demon just by having higher mana than her!! so cool and exciting!!
Did you watch the episode half-asleep? That's such an oversimplification. Frieren won there due to strategy. The two met before and Aura managed to escape for a reason. Frieren didn't want that to repeat so she pretended to be weak and fooled arrogant Aura into using scales. If you delude yourself that Frieren would've won regardless, that's your ego problem because the story says otherwise. Aura had a bigger army than during their previous meeting. Also, Frieren has changed so she couldn't just blast the troops with flashy magic like before. Meaning, she would have to spend tons of mana dispelling Aura's magic while avoiding attacks from troops and from her. Had frieren show up without concealing her true mana-level, Aura may have just fled or used a different trick - which would have been a dumb move, but maybe you'd disagree because what Frieren did was apparently not strategy at all hurr durr.

The show also made it clear that Frieren lost 11 times in her life and latest episode gave one of the reasons why. Depending on circumstances she can easily lose, like if she were to fight vs a water-magic user in a rain. As for Fern, if not for demon's arrogance she'd be dead when pierced by blood magic. Details like these leaves room for doubt that our main characters can find themselves in a very dangerous situation and are not invincible.
Feb 5, 6:17 PM

Aug 2020
Yeah but I don't mind it since as you said it isn't the focus.

Feb 5, 8:01 PM
Nov 2018
So after reading the comments, it seems like there will be bigger challenges in the future of the show. Again, I don't have a problem with Fern being powerful, but right now it seems like her and Frieren both got paired up with really powerful mages compared to the other teams. I am glad to see more formidable foes in the future though.

Also, to the people saying "it's not a Shounen so fights aren't the focus" I've already said that in my op but that still isn't an excuse to be lazy with fights or power scaling (not saying this anime is doing that). If anything, wouldn't an amazingly written anime like this actually be more consistent with the power scaling?

Overall, I got some good comments that makes me more excited for what's to come. Thanks
Feb 7, 3:27 AM
Aug 2018
It isn't a shounen so no
Feb 7, 3:47 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to RazHagever
It isn't a shounen so no
@RazHagever its published in a shonen magazine so its shonen but what you meant is its not a battle shonen or battle manga
Feb 7, 8:04 PM
May 2012
Mimics are stronger than Frieren.
Feb 7, 10:11 PM

Oct 2021
Alex_the_reaper said:
still frieren lvl is close to Serie
@Alex_the_reaper Not even close.
Feb 11, 12:39 AM
Aug 2021
Janethan23 said:

Hehe...Nice, Good One
Feb 11, 1:12 AM

Nov 2013
I mean, thats what happens when a freaking hundreds+ year old elf who beat up the Demon King, and a girl trained by that elf to fight demons take a mage test.

Janethan23 said:

Take your coomer ass back to nhentai. Or that shitty ass BDSM magic girl anime.
Feb 11, 4:27 AM
Sep 2021
This post will age like fine milk.
Feb 11, 4:31 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Janethan23

@Janethan23 ai art? damn ai is getting better and better
Feb 11, 9:06 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to VMPL
This post will age like fine milk.
@VMPL Why? Frieren is indeed too OP (even if it makes sense why), why would it age like milk?
Feb 11, 9:09 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Ionliosite2
@VMPL Why? Frieren is indeed too OP (even if it makes sense why), why would it age like milk?
@Ionliosite2 we saw another older elf that is more powerful than frieren i guess named serie the blonde elf
Feb 11, 9:11 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to deg
@Ionliosite2 we saw another older elf that is more powerful than frieren i guess named serie the blonde elf
@deg I know that, but that doesn't mean Frieren isn't OP
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Frieren is addictive

Ba-Cii10 - 11 hours ago

28 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» Is Himmel a Manic Pixie Dream Boy?

Moonshine_cookie - Jun 1

16 by CeliaElise »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

832 by FMC94 »»
11 hours ago

» When will S2 happen ;__;

FrierenSimpKing - May 29

35 by Scyon »»
Jun 2, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2023

333 by haminshamin »»
Jun 1, 4:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.