Forum Settings
Forums

Why has shonen suddenly become so popular to hate?

New
May 22, 2023 11:09 PM

Apr 2012
Can anyone explain to me when and why Western fans went from literally worshiping shonen to using any loophole to attack shonen and its fans? I understand that all things have their fans and their haters, but for the last year or two, it seems to me more and more that hatred of shonen is becoming somehow excessive or even insane. To the point where I see normies attacking shonen just to seem like cool anime fans. For example, a couple of people used "shonen MC" quite seriously when talking to me with the expectation that I would understand it as a derogatory term without any problems. Can anyone explain this?
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 22, 2023 11:17 PM

Feb 2023
Shounen is a target demographic, not a genre. But I assume you're specifically talking about battle shounen, so I'll talk about that.

Most fake anime fans only watch battle shounen, so people start to hate it because of that. I personally don't hate it, but I think it has its flaws too. For example, a lot of battle shounen are very similar to one another, and get quite generic. Dragon Ball, One Piece and Naruto all have quite a bit in common with each other.
May 22, 2023 11:24 PM

Apr 2012
ForgotEyeWasHere said:
Shounen is a target demographic, not a genre. But I assume you're specifically talking about battle shounen, so I'll talk about that.

Most fake anime fans only watch battle shounen, so people start to hate it because of that. I personally don't hate it, but I think it has its flaws too. For example, a lot of battle shounen are very similar to one another, and get quite generic. Dragon Ball, One Piece and Naruto all have quite a bit in common with each other.
This can be said about any genre, not just the most popular ones. But do you really feel the need to tell me about the meaning of the term and "fake anime fans" after being registered here a couple of months ago? I don't think you need to be the second Gigguk to be considered a "true" anime fan.
May 22, 2023 11:27 PM

May 2021
Success can make some people jealous, even when talking about anime genres/demographics.
May 22, 2023 11:31 PM

Dec 2012
It's just another rerun of the same stale gag.
May 22, 2023 11:32 PM

Apr 2012
-Xenophon- said:
Success can make some people jealous, even when talking about anime genres/demographics.
I have come across that many haters of harems, isekai and other male pandering shows are actually biased out of love for female centered shows, but who can be so annoyed by the popularity of shonen?
May 22, 2023 11:34 PM

Apr 2012
@Zekkenshin Ah, you remind me of the old days when Berserker fans seemed to take the popularity of every new dark fantasy anime as an insult for some reason.
May 22, 2023 11:40 PM
Jul 2021
Me personally, i dont hate battle shounen anime, infact its probably still my fav genre and most anime i watched belong to that, but i absolutely hate shounen fans. They need to bring down and hate on anything that is non shounen/ seinen. Anytime a romance or comedy or music anime becomes popular, they feel the need to shit on it . Shounen is still by far easily the most popular demographic and minority always likes to be louder , so maybe thats why you are seeing it more often than ever? Idk but it certainly goes both ways imo
May 22, 2023 11:41 PM

Jan 2017
Most people still love shonen. It's just loud, shallow contrarians; they've always existed, it's just now that the anime fandom is getting bigger, annoying people are getting louder and more frequent in number. You'll notice most shonen haters are new fans anyway.
My pronoun is he, because I'll never be him.
May 22, 2023 11:46 PM

Apr 2012
trulywaath said:
Most people still love shonen. It's just loud, shallow contrarians; they've always existed, it's just now that the anime fandom is getting bigger, annoying people are getting louder and more frequent in number. You'll notice most shonen haters are new fans anyway.
This surprises me. People have made it so fashionable that now newbies are trying to copy it without the basic knowledge to sound cool.

MAXproARYAN said:
Me personally, i dont hate battle shounen anime, infact its probably still my fav genre and most anime i watched belong to that, but i absolutely hate shounen fans. They need to bring down and hate on anything that is non shounen/ seinen. Anytime a romance or comedy or music anime becomes popular, they feel the need to shit on it . Shounen is still by far easily the most popular demographic and minority always likes to be louder , so maybe thats why you are seeing it more often than ever? Idk but it certainly goes both ways imo
To be honest, I have never seen this. But I see people use the word shonen all the time as an insult.
May 22, 2023 11:47 PM

Mar 2020
It’s because Shonen fans are the worst of the worst and all the hate the shonen anime get is actually targeted at them
May 22, 2023 11:53 PM

Apr 2012
Tendo_GM said:
It’s because Shonen fans are the worst of the worst and all the hate the shonen anime get is actually targeted at them
But is this reasonable? For example, I am annoyed by yuri fans because of their twisted mentality, but is it justified if it makes me hate yuri in general? Not to mention that I actually see hatred towards shonen fans more than anything from them.
May 23, 2023 1:13 AM

Dec 2021
RobertBobert said:
But is this reasonable? For example, I am annoyed by yuri fans because of their twisted mentality, but is it justified if it makes me hate yuri in general? Not to mention that I actually see hatred towards shonen fans more than anything from them.
Yuri fans don't overhype; they don't even force others to be queer

Shounen fans on the other hand overhype their garbage to the level that Seinen fans have to shut their mouths
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
May 23, 2023 1:42 AM

Jul 2021
i think it is becoming mainstream and everyone likes to hate anything that is mainstream.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 23, 2023 2:23 AM

Apr 2012
Faxtual_Ghoul said:
RobertBobert said:
Yuri fans don't overhype; they don't even force others to be queer

Shounen fans on the other hand overhype their garbage to the level that Seinen fans have to shut their mouths
How to say, that you're toxic and bigoted person, while don't say directly that you're toxis and bigoted person.
May 23, 2023 2:49 AM

Dec 2018
Trends come and go, and shonen has had its fair share of glory. Maybe some people are just tired of the same old formula, the power of friendship speeches, and the predictable plot twists. They crave something edgier, more mature, or simply different.. And when people gather on social media platforms to vent their frustrations, the negativity spreads like wildfire.
As for the term "shonen MC," some fans like to use it as a way to mock certain character archetypes that they find cliché or lacking depth. It's become a shorthand to criticize protagonists who follow the same predictable hero's journey, and some fans jump on the bandwagon without even thinking..
May 23, 2023 3:08 AM

Apr 2012
Gwyn223 said:
Trends come and go, and shonen has had its fair share of glory. Maybe some people are just tired of the same old formula, the power of friendship speeches, and the predictable plot twists. They crave something edgier, more mature, or simply different.. And when people gather on social media platforms to vent their frustrations, the negativity spreads like wildfire.
As for the term "shonen MC," some fans like to use it as a way to mock certain character archetypes that they find cliché or lacking depth. It's become a shorthand to criticize protagonists who follow the same predictable hero's journey, and some fans jump on the bandwagon without even thinking..
It might make sense in theory, but then again, it can be said for any genre and demographic, but people keep quiet about it. Or sometimes even in awe of shows that have as much cliché or even more formula than shonen. It's just hypocritical and vile. Not to mention the fact that most of these opinions are practically unsupported and simply caused by hostility.
May 23, 2023 3:20 AM

Jun 2020
RobertBobert said:
Gwyn223 said:
It might make sense in theory, but then again, it can be said for any genre and demographic, but people keep quiet about it. Or sometimes even in awe of shows that have as much cliché or even more formula than shonen. It's just hypocritical and vile.

At this point, I am not sure whether you are trolling or serious. Have you ever met any isekai haters?
May 23, 2023 3:23 AM
Walpurgis

May 2023
I don't understand being disrespectful of other people's tastes in general, it's juvenile and doesn't amount to anything: just live and let live. 
May 23, 2023 3:24 AM
Apr 2017
It is weird to hate a genre, like every genre it has its highs and lows. I enjoy some DragonBall or Seven Deadly Sins action, couldn't get into AoT or Demon Slayer, but to hate them or the genre would be a bit too much. As for edginess, I guess some teen boys need to act contrarian, because they are searching for an identity. They care about the score, because they want to belong. With that being said, Berserk is truly a unique achievement in fantasy, the only series which rivals it in this subgenre (in my humble opinion, of course) is actually not an anime, but the novelizations of the Warhammer Old World series about King Malekith.
May 23, 2023 3:25 AM

Apr 2012
Overlord_13 said:
RobertBobert said:
It might make sense in theory, but then again, it can be said for any genre and demographic, but people keep quiet about it. Or sometimes even in awe of shows that have as much cliché or even more formula than shonen. It's just hypocritical and vile.

At this point, I am not sure whether you are trolling or serious. Have you ever met any isekai haters?
Met many times. But those same people are quick to pocket all their complaints and grievances when it comes to shows with female MCs or yuri/all-female stuff in general. This is the kind of doublethink I'm talking about. But even if I can understand the vocal hatred of "easy victims" like isekai, it still doesn't explain the one-dimensional hostility towards shonen, which is really no worse or better than other genres.
May 23, 2023 3:27 AM

Apr 2012
velveteenvamp said:
I don't understand being disrespectful of other people's tastes in general, it's juvenile and doesn't amount to anything: just live and let live. 
If you don't dig too deep and explore each item individually, then usually people hate popular things because of fatigue or a desire to appear thin and independent. There is even a joke that the hatred of the elitist is the best proof that your favorite show is popular enough.
May 23, 2023 3:36 AM

Aug 2020
"Shounen is popular so let's hate it for this fact"

It's just that. Literally.

May 23, 2023 3:36 AM
Feb 2022
I never hate shonen
But after entering into seinen demographic ,I just lost interest in them because damn fuck I don't like that friendship shit nowadays.But I still like to watch shonen but not shit like like bnha, black clover and all.

Although in seinens too , some authors believe violence=quality which is equally annoying.
May 23, 2023 3:38 AM

Aug 2020
Shounen has never been so popular whether amongst the ones who love it or hate it.

May 23, 2023 3:47 AM

Apr 2012
KitsuFrost said:
Shounen has never been so popular whether amongst the ones who love it or hate it.
How long have you been watching anime? Shonens have been the most popular anime in the West for decades, even more than in Japan itself. 
May 23, 2023 3:48 AM

Jun 2020
RobertBobert said:
Overlord_13 said:

Met many times. But those same people are quick to pocket all their complaints and grievances when it comes to shows with female MCs or yuri/all-female stuff in general. This is the kind of doublethink I'm talking about. But even if I can understand the vocal hatred of "easy victims" like isekai, it still doesn't explain the one-dimensional hostility towards shonen, which is really no worse or better than other genres.

First part of your reply is just a baseless claim. Even if what you said is remotely true. It doesn't negate the fact that Isekai is getting hate. I don't understand what you are trying to say in your very last line. Sorry for that.
Many people have already gave reasons why Shonen is getting hate. It's nothing new and neither it's a surprise. So I don't understand the need of dramatizing this trivial issue.
May 23, 2023 3:57 AM

Apr 2012
Overlord_13 said:
RobertBobert said:

First part of your reply is just a baseless claim. Even if what you said is remotely true. It doesn't negate the fact that Isekai is getting hate. I don't understand what you are trying to say in your very last line. Sorry for that.
Many people have already gave reasons why Shonen is getting hate. It's nothing new and neither it's a surprise. So I don't understand the need of dramatizing this trivial issue.
It does not cancel, but it also does not cancel the fact that literally philosophical hatred of isekai, while ignoring female isekai, shows that this hatred often has completely different reasons instead of those declared. And the fact that people have stated reasons does not prevent me from finding them unreasonable and stupid. Do you have any problems with this?
May 23, 2023 4:21 AM

Feb 2022
Shounen MCs are ironically the better MCs, esp in monthly publishing shounens. The edgelords and the awful MCs, the worst kind, exist in poorly written isekai.
The hate could be a MAL only thing cause of obnoxo fans, idk.
May 23, 2023 4:30 AM

May 2018
"Why has shonen suddenly become so popular to hate?"

If we are talking battle shounen, its fandom is quite pushy, that's why. Action and reaction.
In the 00s Eva, Monster and LOTGH fans did that, this is why nowadays there's such stigma for liking those.
alshuMay 23, 2023 4:33 AM
May 23, 2023 4:39 AM

Apr 2012
alshu said:
"Why has shonen suddenly become so popular to hate?"

If we are talking battle shounen, its fandom is quite pushy, that's why. Action and reaction.
In the 00s Eva, Monster and LOTGH fans did that, this is why nowadays there's such stigma for liking those.
I never considered it reasonable to hate the show because of the fans. Even hating fans because of the show raises certain questions
May 23, 2023 4:41 AM

Oct 2014
Shounen, specifically battle shounen has been hated on by other fans for as long as I can remember. Being the most popular paints the biggest target.

Coupled with its unchanging and repeated nature, one can at the very least start to see why.

May 23, 2023 4:44 AM

Apr 2012
Pyro said:
Shounen, specifically battle shounen has been hated on by other fans for as long as I can remember. Being the most popular paints the biggest target.

Coupled with its unchanging and repeated nature, one can at the very least start to see why.

Why doesn't anyone hate sports, idol or CGDCT shows? They are no less repetitive than many shonen. And I'm not talking about something more general like romance, it doesn't matter if it's gay or straight. Because you can literally predict every line of every character as if you were the one who wrote the script.
May 23, 2023 4:47 AM

Oct 2014
RobertBobert said:
Pyro said:

Why doesn't anyone hate sports, idol or CGDCT shows? They are no less repetitive than many shonen. And I'm not talking about something more general like romance, it doesn't matter if it's gay or straight. Because you can literally predict every line of every character as if you were the one who wrote the script.

Every other genre or even demographic might as well be labeled as niche compared to shounen.
May 23, 2023 4:48 AM

Jan 2015
The most popular shounen have always been hated. Some posters already made their points but I like to add: I think it's that people have been groomed to expect or crave new seasons of shows they like and that may cause fatigue, culprits like Netflix, Disney and how seasonal anime is going ( AoT season 4 part 2 part ∞ ). I would rather enjoy a completed story than waiting every new year for a new season, but that may just be me.

May 23, 2023 4:50 AM

Apr 2012
Pyro said:
RobertBobert said:

Every other genre or even demographic might as well be labeled as niche compared to shounen.
I don't think so. But even if we assume that this is a niche, it still turns out to be rather hypocritical that not the smallest part of shonen haters consists of fans of these genres. Don't you find it? I often directly pointed out this to them and the main argument was "this is a good formula, otherwise a bad formula", lol.
May 23, 2023 4:52 AM

Dec 2015
Battle Shonens:
They aren't that popular to hate in nowadays, it has been a "trend" since quite a time. Bleach has been hated, now I guess Demon Slayer is [just binged it from yesterday and I have no complains to it], MHA was hated when it started to come out, Black Clover too, JJK in some certain levels too, for Naruto I have no idea tbh I haven't memorised anything related to it so won't say, same goes for stuff which I haven't seen or haven't been following the topics such as for Dragon Ball, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, One Piece and many more.

Shonens which are not Battle:
I don't think they are actually hated, I don't think I've seen a huge hatred towards sports shonen or other anime from that demographic outside being Battle and Sports.
May 23, 2023 4:53 AM

Apr 2012
Funcrisp said:
The most popular shounen have always been hated. Some posters already made their points but I like to add: I think it's that people have been groomed to expect or crave new seasons of shows they like and that may cause fatigue, culprits like Netflix, Disney and how seasonal anime is going ( AoT season 4 part 2 part ∞ ). I would rather enjoy a completed story than waiting every new year for a new season, but that may just be me.

What do you have in mind? Are you saying that the Western media do not know the idea of the season as a phenomenon?
May 23, 2023 4:56 AM

Apr 2012
Zettaiken said:
Battle Shonens:
They aren't that popular to hate in nowadays, it has been a "trend" since quite a time. Bleach has been hated, now I guess Demon Slayer is [just binged it from yesterday and I have no complains to it], MHA was hated when it started to come out, Black Clover too, JJK in some certain levels too, for Naruto I have no idea tbh I haven't memorised anything related to it so won't say, same goes for stuff which I haven't seen or haven't been following the topics such as for Dragon Ball, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, One Piece and many more.

Shonens which are not Battle:
I don't think they are actually hated, I don't think I've seen a huge hatred towards sports shonen or other anime from that demographic outside being Battle and Sports.
With the exception of Naruto, who was notorious as a symbol of young anime fans (as was MHA years later), most of the hate towards these shows was either a thing between fans of different shows in the shonen fandom, or an annoyance due to the fans. Although I have noticed that it has recently become popular to claim that Dragon Ball fans are supposedly arrogantly considering the show to be the best anime, which I as a DB fan have never come across in many years.
May 23, 2023 4:57 AM

May 2023
I thought action-adventure shonen were always hated and easy to target. Anime community has grown a lot in last few years and anime outside of shounen are getting attention now. From what I have seen, seinen anime like Monster and Berserk are getting more popular now.

I am not saying shounen-oriented shows don't have any flaws or their fandoms are completely peaceful. But fanboyism and snobbery have always been part of the community. It's not anything new, neither it is going to stop. So it's not something to care about tbh.
May 23, 2023 5:02 AM

Oct 2014
RobertBobert said:
Pyro said:

I don't think so. But even if we assume that this is a niche, it still turns out to be rather hypocritical that not the smallest part of shonen haters consists of fans of these genres. Don't you find it? I often directly pointed out this to them and the main argument was "this is a good formula, otherwise a bad formula", lol.

Well, that's sorta the problem. It seems you expect too much from anime fans. Let's be real, we're some of the most opinionated and passionate bunch around. Those qualities don't always lead to good ends.
May 23, 2023 5:08 AM

Apr 2012
Pyro said:
RobertBobert said:

Well, that's sorta the problem. It seems you expect too much from anime fans. Let's be real, we're some of the most opinionated and passionate bunch around. Those qualities don't always lead to good ends.
I expect people to not write manifestoes about how they hate apples just because they really only dislike red apples because of the color while devouring green ones even if they are rotten. If you understand what I mean.
May 23, 2023 5:09 AM

Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
KitsuFrost said:
How long have you been watching anime? Shonens have been the most popular anime in the West for decades, even more than in Japan itself. 

I didn't say it wasn't popular. I said the popularity increased in the last years.

May 23, 2023 5:10 AM

Apr 2012
ThunderBolt_16 said:
I thought action-adventure shonen were always hated and easy to target. Anime community has grown a lot in last few years and anime outside of shounen are getting attention now. From what I have seen, seinen anime like Monster and Berserk are getting more popular now.

I am not saying shounen-oriented shows don't have any flaws or their fandoms are completely peaceful. But fanboyism and snobbery have always been part of the community. It's not anything new, neither it is going to stop. So it's not something to care about tbh.
Do you now seriously think that shows like Berserk and Monster have only become popular now because of the reduced focus on watching shonens only?
May 23, 2023 5:11 AM

Oct 2014
RobertBobert said:
Pyro said:

I expect people to not write manifestoes about how they hate apples just because they really only dislike red apples because of the color while devouring green ones even if they are rotten. If you understand what I mean.

Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean.
May 23, 2023 5:15 AM

Dec 2014
Shonen anime has some of the most obnoxious and vocal fans in existence. I can ignore the fact that there's plenty of derivative, repetitive shonen schlock out there, that applies to every genre and demographic but my God shonen fans are cancer. Shippers, Powerscalers, Character X can beat character Y, X is the best anime/manga/show/character ever. Shonen has the worst variants of each of these kind of people. At least the worst you get with Seinen is some dudes feeling superior over their choice in shows, I'd take that any day over another argument about magic, muscular monkey men and who they can or can't beat or why my punchy boy is better than your punchy boy and you should feel bad. 
May 23, 2023 5:17 AM

May 2023
RobertBobert said:
ThunderBolt_16 said:

Do you now seriously think that shows like Berserk and Monster have only become popular now because of the reduced focus on watching shonens only?

From what I've witnessed, anime community in general have grown quite a lot. So it's obvious, the number of people who would seek out more anime to watch have grown. It's not only limited to action-oriented shows. It applies to other genres like rom-coms and Psychological thrillers too.

Not saying shounen has lost it's popularity, it's still the most popular demographic.
May 23, 2023 5:21 AM

Apr 2012
ThunderBolt_16 said:
RobertBobert said:

From what I've witnessed, anime community in general have grown quite a lot. So it's obvious, the number of people who would seek out more anime to watch have grown. It's not only limited to action-oriented shows. It applies to other genres like rom-coms and Psychological thrillers too.

Not saying shounen has lost it's popularity, it's still the most popular demographic.
You didn't quite understand what I meant. My point is that these shows have been quite cult and famous since the days when anime in general was considered an extremely geek hobby.
May 23, 2023 5:23 AM

Oct 2017
RobertBobert said:
Can anyone explain to me when and why Western fans went from literally worshiping shonen to using any loophole to attack shonen and its fans? I understand that all things have their fans and their haters, but for the last year or two, it seems to me more and more that hatred of shonen is becoming somehow excessive or even insane. To the point where I see normies attacking shonen just to seem like cool anime fans. For example, a couple of people used "shonen MC" quite seriously when talking to me with the expectation that I would understand it as a derogatory term without any problems. Can anyone explain this?
Because many genres have progress in terms of storytelling and character building, like we have Blue Lock as sport, Oshi no Ko as drama, heavenly delusion as sci-fi,  etc.

However, many of the most popular shonen has not progress their storytelling method at all , and the way they're telling the story/ highlighting the characters are very "ancient" and "outdated" in viewers' eyes.
Ofc there're some outliers, but my point is many of them have the popularity but they have not progress in story-telling and character building so it could be view as a cons by many due to their popularity.
Ventus_SMay 23, 2023 5:26 AM
May 23, 2023 5:25 AM

Apr 2012
Ventus_S said:
RobertBobert said:
Because many genres have progress in terms of storytelling and character building, like we have Blue Lock as sport, Oshi no Ko as drama, etc.

However, many of the most popular shonen has not progress their storytelling method at all , and the way they're telling the story/ highlighting the characters are very "ancient" and "outdated" in viewers' eyes.
Ofc there're some outliers like usual, but my point is they have the popularity but they have not progress in story-telling and character building.
For example? What kind of shonens do you find like this? Also, Oshi no Ko was never pure "drama" in that sense, it's a typical seinen idol show about the dark side of show business.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

34 by jellylo »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Is reviving characters poor writing?

rohan121 - May 29

46 by DarkShame2 »»
5 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

96 by Anjuro »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - 6 hours ago

20 by UberBat »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you unironically think that hentai can be art? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Mar 11

54 by FedeMetal »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.