Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 7, 2023 10:31 PM
Nov 2020
What is idol culture? this anime is so heavily based on the concept and drawbacks of it. Seems to me grown up men who have pedophilic tendency and are mentally unstable obsessing over teenage girls dancing in short skirts. It's pretty disgusting to think about to be honest. And they've built an entire industry around it.
I have seen some reference here and there in other animes like Jujutsu Kaisen but thought that was a niche thing.
To give you perspective, I'm from India, so yeah never seen such things in any english movies as well, let alone in my vicinity.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 7, 2023 10:41 PM
May 2016
That's still not pedophilia.
May 7, 2023 10:43 PM
Jul 2021
Japan be wildin sometimes
May 7, 2023 10:46 PM

Jul 2022
Cataclysm003 said:
Japan be wildin sometimes

You resumed perfectly every chapter of the manga of Oshi no ko in one line, congratulations🤝
May 7, 2023 10:48 PM

Jul 2015
This is not Twitter, sir.

May 7, 2023 10:51 PM
Aug 2021
It's a subculture based around idols. You are welcome
May 7, 2023 11:06 PM

Apr 2022
a quick google search would've worked.
May 7, 2023 11:16 PM

Jul 2021
It's very sad and depressing people don't know the meaning of pedophilia
May 7, 2023 11:22 PM
Jan 2021
Yeah, idol culture is pretty popular in countries like Japan and South Korea. Recently, it has become really famous in America and by extension the entire world as well, through BTS. Most people just like to focus on the music and the singer for positivity and shit, but there are some people that do like it in that creepy way you mention. But nobody wants to bring that up as it is a negative topic. Maybe, this anime will idk.
May 7, 2023 11:23 PM

Mar 2021
just your average Japan things
May 7, 2023 11:25 PM
Apr 2021
Sandro8604 said:
What is idol culture? this anime is so heavily based on the concept and drawbacks of it. Seems to me grown up men who have pedophilic tendency and are mentally unstable obsessing over teenage girls dancing in short skirts. It's pretty disgusting to think about to be honest. And they've built an entire industry around it.
I have seen some reference here and there in other animes like Jujutsu Kaisen but thought that was a niche thing.
To give you perspective, I'm from India, so yeah never seen such things in any english movies as well, let alone in my vicinity.

yeah i know what you mean by this as i am from India too, and there isn't anything remotely close to this but you need to know that their culture is way more different than ours. we are looked down on if we bed someone before marriage, but japan had all these things normalized for many years (but some people there also think this is kinda gross).
May 7, 2023 11:29 PM

Oct 2013
Cestlavie_ said:
It's very sad and depressing people don't know the meaning of pedophilia
Using terms without knowing their meaning is mostly common among many anime fans, sadly. Same with approaching different shows with double standards. Remember weirdos malding about one Demon Slayer character having quite spicy design, by implying that she was a minor, because she used to be a kid many years ago? No shit, my grandparents also used to be kids decades ago, lol.

Anyway, to answer the question asked in the thread's title: idol culture is a subculture with idols (mostly female ones) in the center of attention. As shrimple as that.
May 7, 2023 11:34 PM
Aug 2020
on a YouTube vid i found these comments that are pretty good

May 7, 2023 11:38 PM
May 2016
__potato__ said:
ktg said:

Doesn't mean it's not gross
As gross as rooting for your favorite football team or boxer.
May 7, 2023 11:39 PM
Mar 2023
Sandro8604 said:

idol culture is young performers sing and dance while doing it on a live broadcast such as live performances or tv shows
May 7, 2023 11:49 PM
Feb 2022
Indians are showing the most gross thinking of all the time, btw that's called set up they need a good base to set up the anime, and it's not just about those characters story this anime/manga is based on whole garbage going on in the Film industry, manga industry and idol industry that is the most focused in this series but never mind you fix minded people can never see anything good, you people can never grow up.

May 7, 2023 11:54 PM
Jun 2021
__potato__ said:
ktg said:

as gross as cheering for a soccer team in fifa
May 7, 2023 11:56 PM
Jun 2021
Sandro8604 said:

i think i also might know how you feel about lolis and shotas
also what? idol culture is like a kpop fan, idol group fan, heck even sports teams can sometimes br considered "idols" in theit own way
May 8, 2023 12:03 AM
Jan 2018
Expecting this topic to get closed down within the next 24 hrs (obviously about as far off-topic as you can get), but inb4 the lock.

Idol culture is just another name for the same sort of thing all around the world. Child beauty pageants. Whole-family channels on Youtube/Tiktok/Twitter. Billie Eilish was apparently in fashion/modelling as early as 14-15. I'm sure there are many more cases of child-centered media, but I honestly can't be bothered to find more for this pointless topic.

However, the vast majority of these cases are not pedophilic. If you're on that opposition side of the debate over child-involvement in media (a reasonable position, IMO), use terms such as 'inappropriate', 'disgusting', 'gross', and so on. 'Pedophile' is used to describe one who has actually done the deed. That is a very serious, irredeemable brand.
May 8, 2023 12:10 AM
Jun 2021
Pityfool said:
Expecting this topic to get closed down within the next 24 hrs (obviously about as far off-topic as you can get), but inb4 the lock.

Idol culture is just another name for the same sort of thing all around the world. Child beauty pageants. Whole-family channels on Youtube/Tiktok/Twitter. Billie Eilish was apparently in fashion/modelling as early as 14-15. I'm sure there are many more cases of child-centered media, but I honestly can't be bothered to find more for this pointless topic.

However, the vast majority of these cases are not pedophilic. If you're on that opposition side of the debate over child-involvement in media (a reasonable position, IMO), use terms such as 'inappropriate', 'disgusting', 'gross', and so on. 'Pedophile' is used to describe one who has actually done the deed. That is a very serious, irredeemable brand.

the word is being thrown out so often it's lost it's meaning. which is REALLY bad especially when it's used in the right context and it's ignored due to the word becoming dry
May 8, 2023 12:15 AM
Oct 2022
Sandro8604 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_idol
May 8, 2023 12:44 AM
May 2016
__potato__ said:
ktg said:

You don't see anything wrong with this? I don't think they're watching them because they see them as a "football team".
I assume you are talking about the age part, so I'll react to that.
Not really. I mean if you look it up the medical definition about being pedophile, that age is the border of being pedophile.

Btw, if it's not the same as a football team, then they wouldn't want to sleep, for example, with Cristiano Ronaldo, which we know is not true. People wanna sleep with him. In that regard, every famous people is treated the same way.
May 8, 2023 12:59 AM
Nov 2020
HanBoitheLamb said:
Sandro8604 said:

also what? idol culture is like a kpop fan, idol group fan, heck even sports teams can sometimes br considered "idols" in theit own way

Yeah man... I absolutely hate those kind of things ie. loli. I try to avoid them as much as possible. Even if the show is good in other part, I can't stand it. This is why I tried to watch ReZero now for 7th time and failed.I know it's some common trope and it's whatever but in this anime the MCs lost their mother due to this and they're still trying to be successful in that field.. that means society is not inherently against the culture but creepy fans. There must be some reason to all of these maybe.
May 8, 2023 1:31 AM
Apr 2021
yeah being a simp is just sad. same with people who simp for vtubers, it's not healthy.
May 8, 2023 1:32 AM
May 2021
ktg said:
__potato__ said:

nobody would mind if that football player is in a relationship but in the case of idols, that's a totally different story
May 8, 2023 1:33 AM
Feb 2021
Piromysl said:

Sometimes MAL feels like it. Makes me want to switch to AniList.
May 8, 2023 1:38 AM
May 2016
Tafheemulhaq said:
ktg said:

nobody would mind if that football player is in a relationship but in the case of idols, that's a totally different story
That's still not gross, insane at best. So obviously my argument won't work if you are talking about a different thing.

But for that, I can give you another example. Many people don't want a prime minister to go to a party, like we saw that in the finish pm's case.
May 8, 2023 1:41 AM
Jun 2021
Sandro8604 said:
HanBoitheLamb said:

Yeah man... I absolutely hate those kind of things ie. loli. I try to avoid them as much as possible. Even if the show is good in other part, I can't stand it. This is why I tried to watch ReZero now for 7th time and failed.I know it's some common trope and it's whatever but in this anime the MCs lost their mother due to this and they're still trying to be successful in that field.. that means society is not inherently against the culture but creepy fans. There must be some reason to all of these maybe.

Taking the words from people who did genuine studies of this, the appeal is actually kind of like BL. BL's (Boys Love/Yaoi) primary audience are straight girls which (kinda obviously) lacks any correspondant to the real world. Lolis and shotas are similar in the sense that (most the time) people do not have actual thoughts for children like they do for lolis and shotas. The desire is toward a fictional image of characters which doesn't reflect reality... per say. Although I do understand if one is uncomfortable. Personally yaoi makes me a bit uncomfortable because of certain common tropes but I have no problems with anyone who likes it. Coexisting in this case is the best solution imo.
May 8, 2023 1:43 AM
Jun 2021
slugdirsh said:
Piromysl said:

Sometimes MAL feels like it. Makes me want to switch to AniList.

i think as the anime community becomes bigger it brings certain people with it. At some point not even AniList will be safe
May 8, 2023 1:55 AM

Jan 2021
With an industry as widespread and popular as this, you're kinda asking for a thrashing. If you're gonna call out one particular group of idol fans (in this case, teenage girl group fans in Japan), other idol fans such as K Pop people are gonna thrash you for your very interpretation of the concept.

I personally think it fetishises minors too, sexually or asexually. I see a lot of people defending it here, citing soccer player fans, and their perspective is equally valid. At the end of the day, the industry will still go strong, you can only choose to avoid it.
May 8, 2023 2:01 AM

Jan 2021
Sandro8604 said:
HanBoitheLamb said:

You answered your own question there. It IS a part of their culture. Differs significantly from what our culture is. You're basically judging another culture based on the values of your own culture. I mean you can, but it certainly is close minded.
May 8, 2023 2:10 AM

Apr 2020
It's not pedophilia.

But...

A) I wouldn't doubt sick people beeing in the general Idol fandom, for other reasons than the cuteness and the singing....

and

B) Scouting middleschoolers to form a group that'll be acting like they're wholesome, little dolls, for maximum profit IS a nasty business imo....
May 8, 2023 2:20 AM
Oct 2020
It's like simping ethots, but the girls are attractive
May 8, 2023 2:33 AM
Apr 2016
Poor Korean idols too
May 8, 2023 2:36 AM
May 2016
__potato__ said:
So what you're saying is wanting to sleep with a fully-developed, concenting, experienced adult is the same as wanting to sleep with a child who's barely started developing (and some don't start doing that at exactly 13), has barely set their first foot in highschool, and literally hasn't been out of primary school for even two months is the same thing?

I can see you becoming a father and being "it's okay that 50 year old (wo)man is eyeing you up. You're a (wo)man now, look nice for them" to you're 13 daughter/son.
Next time, tag me, so I can see this.

If I say no, to your question, then I can rephrase it and it will apply to other age groups too. Like this:
" is wanting to sleep with a fully-developed, concenting, experienced adult" who worked 15 years, have experience how things work in the real life and had at least 12 sex partners is the same as sleep with a 22 yo person, who was in school in his/her whole life, never worked, don't even know what tax return means and had zero sexual life?
Obviously the first one will be able to better understand the consequences, but that's all. Or you are implying that if you like a 22 years old better then a 52 years old then you are pedophile. That's your logic here. Or if not, then it's not really an argument, because at the end, it's just saying that people have different experiences.

Your last sentence also stupid. I mean change the age to 22, would you say that to your 22 yo daughter? Up until now, with your logic, that's also unacceptable, because the age difference still exist, but if not, then again, you are just clinging to an imaginary number based on like a dice roll.
For example, a hundred years ago, girls started menstruating around age of 17, while now it's pretty close to age of 12. How exactly is your world view changed because of this? Or how the society changed because of this? I help you, it didn't change. The world is changing and because of people like you who has zero logic behind their arguments exist, we can't really talk about this change affecting our society.
May 8, 2023 2:50 AM

Feb 2016
Well Idol culture is a subculture with idols. Popular amongst J-pop and K-pop genres. It really isn't pedophilia. You just need a quick google search about it and use the term correctly. 
May 8, 2023 3:16 AM

Apr 2023
The horrible side of idol fan culture is fed by the fact some companies genuinely exploit the idols to fans who want this kind of stuffs. This is often done by smaller company, one was under fire a couple years ago for taking videos of the idols in the changing room without consent. Female idols are especially the target of this, but some male idols also goes through this kind of thing. In the end, idols are also humans yk

May 8, 2023 3:20 AM
Jun 2021
Sandro8604 said:

It’s not really pedophilic but I know where you’re coming from. Majority of an idol’s fanbase is actually just teenage girls, grown men only make up about 10% of it.
May 8, 2023 3:23 AM

Mar 2023
Here, I asked chat gpt for you.

Short version

Long version
May 8, 2023 3:36 AM
Feb 2022
Sandro8604 said:

just imagine how kpop fans act. i think it's similar
May 8, 2023 4:43 AM

May 2021
Sandro8604 said:

Idol culture may seem to have few drawbacks but it gives young women to show off their talent and it a wide and mass scale which a country like India barely can achieve. Obviously it attracts people of all ages but it doesn't make it pedophilic
May 8, 2023 4:48 AM

Jan 2019
It's not inherently pedophilia but I don't doubt that there's a lot of pedos that follow idol girls.
May 8, 2023 5:26 AM
Jul 2022
So, people still dk the meaning of pedophilia.
May 8, 2023 5:47 AM
May 2022
Sandro8604 said:

I recommend watching Odd Taxi. It is a highly rated anime and is a mystery anime… but it has a little education on idol culture mixed in there.
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
May 8, 2023 6:12 AM
Aug 2020
It's definitely weird for sure. Japan seems to elevate their idols to a higher existence, as if they aren't even human. They must be perfect in every sense, and anybody who contradicts this must be ostracized and condemned.

That's actually why I really liked the first EP of Oshi No Ko, it actually pointed out how weird this system really is, and the obsessiveness of some fans.

Don't really see the pedo argument here though. It largely seems to be more rooted in treating idols like perfect goddesses that can't ruin the illusion
May 8, 2023 6:16 AM
Jun 2022
It's not pedophilia. You should look up the definition. I mean if a 18 or 19 year old likes a 17 year or 16 year old. That ain't pedophilia.

The industry is based around young entertainers that's all.
Male idols also exist and are fairly popular.

I don't see why it's gross.
I am pretty sure 1 time or the other you too would have drooled over an actress or entertainer in some show or anything who is 16 or so. (assuming you are 20+).

Young artists and people supporting them, liking them nothing wrong.

Yes extreme fans like shown in the show are gross and dangerous. They need mental help.
Normal people have done nothing wrong man.

You watch anime. For sure you are a lolicon too🤣🤌.
May 8, 2023 6:25 AM
May 2021
Pityfool said:
 'Pedophile' is used to describe one who has actually done the deed. 
It's not unless by "done the deed" you meant "attracted to children".
May 8, 2023 6:26 AM
Jun 2021
You mostly described what is around the idol culture, pedo is kinda harsh but I can't really confirm nor deny if such action does happen but maybe it is. This is based on the dark side of the idol industry. If you're new to anime, idol is pretty much a big thing to Japan but is a tight-knit community which is very loud. Imagine if BTS is just popular in one country and that's how you define Japanese Idol's compare to Korea's take to it. Idol as a genre is pretty much the same and watching Love Live! School Idol Project (it's a nice show ngl) pretty much sums up the idol genre.
May 8, 2023 6:34 AM
Jun 2021
Priya080929 said:
Indians are showing the most gross thinking of all the time, btw that's called set up they need a good base to set up the anime, and it's not just about those characters story this anime/manga is based on whole garbage going on in the Film industry, manga industry and idol industry that is the most focused in this series but never mind you fix minded people can never see anything good, you people can never grow up.

Some people are just really out of touch in these topics, but it is kinda also a way for him to learn the genre and for me I just really learned the Idol culture because of it's exposure to anime, watching the dark side of it's industry, reading Oshi no ko, and now recently their new targets are the Vtubers which imo is also built on that foundation which there is some parasocial and just full of weirdos in the internet.
May 8, 2023 6:36 AM
Feb 2018
I think it's crazy how nobody answered the question and instead just started going on tangents about pedophilia and throwing insults at each other
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Any reason why Idol became overwhelmingly popular? ( 1 2 )

Mattenan - May 31

54 by GagzxAizen »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ricky16 - May 17, 2023

870 by FaethyvveIcye »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Best girl war oshi no ko

Praveen05 - Jun 14, 2023

5 by Zarutaku »»
Yesterday, 5:06 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usopp8000 - Mar 27, 2023

2681 by WSP__2 »»
May 24, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Would you like to marry Ai given the opportunity? (first ep spoilers)

Shizuna - May 6

40 by A_Yaze »»
May 11, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.