Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mieruko-chan
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 18, 2021 6:12 AM
Sep 2016
While I'm absolutely hyped about one of my favorite manga getting an anime adaptation, I'm more so skeptical that it could be ruined by the fact that it's Passione adapting it.

Passione doesn't have the greatest track record of adaptations under it's belt (Citrus, Higurashi Gou, DxD Hero) and im getting the same worried vibe I had when Berserk and So I'm a Spider, So What? were adapted by Millepensee (Cop Craft, Teekyuu, and fuck all else). Execution of scares and detail of the ghosts are everything in this manga, and I honestly don't think Passione are capable of doing this adaptation justice. Passione could of course prove me wrong and make a great adaptation, but I won't be surprised if the anime ends up flopping hard because of them.

What does everyone else think? Are you worried about the studio backing this adaptation? Or am I just being paranoid?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 18, 2021 6:15 AM
Jul 2020
J3_Omega said:
While I'm absolutely hyped about one of my favorite manga getting an anime adaptation, I'm more so skeptical that it could be ruined by the fact that it's Passione adapting it.

Passione doesn't have the greatest track record of adaptations under it's belt (Citrus, Higurashi Gou, DxD Hero) and im getting the same worried vibe I had when Berserk and So I'm a Spider, So What? were adapted by Millepensee (Cop Craft, Teekyuu, and fuck all else). Execution of scares and detail of the ghosts are everything in this manga, and I honestly don't think Passione are capable of doing this adaptation justice. Passione could of course prove me wrong and make a great adaptation, but I won't be surprised if the anime ends up flopping hard because of them.

What does everyone else think? Are you worried about the studio backing this adaptation? Or am I just being paranoid?

I do understand your worries. But i think that it’s not really possible to know before seeing it. So in my opinion it’s just to wait and see how it will play out. The Teaser looked pretty good in my opinion.
Mar 18, 2021 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
A lot said they are worried. I saw the news of forums and some were actually pretty skeptical about the studio adapting it. The animation looked fine in the teaser but monsters would be pretty hard to animate and the use of CGI would be necessary. But lets hope they will do justice for the manga.
Mar 18, 2021 6:26 AM
Sep 2016
irishmonk said:
A lot said they are worried. I saw the news of forums and some were actually pretty skeptical about the studio adapting it. The animation looked fine in the teaser but monsters would be pretty hard to animate and the use of CGI would be necessary. But lets hope they will do justice for the manga.

Yeah, that's one of the biggest things I'm worried about. The PV only showed a frame of the first monster and it was just a rip from the manga, which makes me even more skeptical that Passione may not be able to do this adaptation justice. I just hope they at least end up looking half decent and not like the pizza face turd monsters from the Junji-Ito Collection.
Mar 18, 2021 6:57 AM
Sep 2016
Yeetusdeletus4 said:
J3_Omega said:

I do understand your worries. But i think that it’s not really possible to know before seeing it. So in my opinion it’s just to wait and see how it will play out. The Teaser looked pretty good in my opinion.

I appreciate the optimism and I'm definitely not dismissing the show before it even comes out. I'm too invested in the manga to miss out on seeing the anime even if it's shit. I'm just not wanting people to get their hopes too high for this adaptation only to be disappointed if it ends up being underwhelming due to the studio adapting it. A little dose of skepticism to mellow out the unbridled hype it's been getting.
Mar 18, 2021 7:17 AM
Jul 2020
J3_Omega said:
Yeetusdeletus4 said:

I appreciate the optimism and I'm definitely not dismissing the show before it even comes out. I'm too invested in the manga to miss out on seeing the anime even if it's shit. I'm just not wanting people to get their hopes too high for this adaptation only to be disappointed if it ends up being underwhelming due to the studio adapting it. A little dose of skepticism to mellow out the unbridled hype it's been getting.

Yeah, to that point I understand why you posted this. We don’t want people getting too hyped up so if it turns up bad, that we get a repeat of whatever happened with the final season of AOT.
Mar 18, 2021 7:41 AM
作画

Nov 2019
I'll keep my expectations low but I have some hope anyway, even if they did what they did to Higurashi Gou and some more anime I was pleasantly surprised when I got to watch Joshikousei no Mudazukai, it was pretty good
Mar 18, 2021 11:32 AM

Jan 2020
I'm honestly worried too. This studio seems to be pretty new (imo) and I don’t know if they have enough experience to execute the anime. The best thing we can do as viewers is to wish for the best but not get out hopes up too high
Mar 18, 2021 1:31 PM
Jul 2020
Noone knows before it actually airs. I do understand your skepticism though. Well, Passione is in the low budget territory, new rather small studio etc so the most important part will be the story and a decent enough looking animation. In my personal opinion the important thing is the direction, if they make it in that, then it will be a nice outcome. Personally I dont have much respect for them (DxD Hero; same director with Tokyo ghoul second season and a bad character designer at least for my taste, but with some objectiveness in there) this time the chara designer (Makoto Uno) is the monster designer so I dont think she can ruin them. Also Citrus and Higurashi were kinda lacking in many areas so I wasnt pleased to watch them. But all in all every new project is a different work and I have to say the original story (havent read the manga) seems interesting. I dont know what your expectations are thus I cant say anymore
Mar 18, 2021 2:01 PM
Sep 2016
kalivo said:
Noone knows before it actually airs. I do understand your skepticism though. Well, Passione is in the low budget territory, new rather small studio etc so the most important part will be the story and a decent enough looking animation. In my personal opinion the important thing is the direction, if they make it in that, then it will be a nice outcome. Personally I dont have much respect for them (DxD Hero; same director with Tokyo ghoul second season and a bad character designer at least for my taste, but with some objectiveness in there) this time the chara designer (Makoto Uno) is the monster designer so I dont think she can ruin them. Also Citrus and Higurashi were kinda lacking in many areas so I wasnt pleased to watch them. But all in all every new project is a different work and I have to say the original story (havent read the manga) seems interesting. I dont know what your expectations are thus I cant say anymore

See, I really don't think Passione can make an adaptation like this work as a low budget studio. I agree that the characters look pretty good so far, but the monsters are another thing entirely. The ghosts have Junji Ito levels of detail put into them and I don't believe a studio without much money or experience will be able to recreate them, nor adapt the manga's style of abrupt horror into animation well. I have seen Makoto Uno's track record, but I don't think it inspires confidence in this regard.

I would say if you haven't read it yet, give a few chapters of Mieruko-chan a read online and let me know what you think about it and if you better understand my expectations and why I'm so worried.
Mar 18, 2021 7:34 PM
Jul 2018
Not gonna lie, I'm also a little worried about what they're going to do with the design of the "creatures", since they're all so detailed.

Whatever they do, I hope they manage to keep at least a similar vibe to the manga.
Mar 19, 2021 6:09 AM

Apr 2011
Miko looks so different tho
Mar 19, 2021 9:36 PM

Jan 2021
Well I get what y'all are saying and I'm skeptical also because them being a small studio and small budget, they're working on 2 animes and I've only seen like 10 chapters for this manga so and from what I've seen I hope they don't use cgi on the ghosts and I hope they draw them perfectly or better yet they should probably contact the author and let him draw them instead yk but anyways I'm a new watcher of higurashi and I've only seen gou which they animated and I liked it I've seen a couple clips from the first two series and I can see how the animation has changed so I kinda have my hopes up and down at the same time I don't want them to be overworking their selves and then bring me as a new watcher of higurashi a trashy season 2 in summer yk so I hope they don't use cgi cause that's gonna take away the horror from it yk
Mar 19, 2021 9:43 PM

Jan 2020
I didn't like Passione's Higurashi but this might be different

Mar 20, 2021 12:21 PM
Oct 2018
J3_Omega said:

The man on direction is the only one (maybe together with Spice and Wolf's director in Rokka no Yuusha) that could make something good out of Passione's production values. Nonetheless, he's specialized in ecchi of all things. So yeah, expect some animation and good mood building, which are the strenghts of this guy, but I can't speak for his talents in anything concerning horror
Akkarin! Hai!
Mar 20, 2021 4:36 PM
Sep 2016
Persona111 said:
J3_Omega said:

The man on direction is the only one (maybe together with Spice and Wolf's director in Rokka no Yuusha) that could make something good out of Passione's production values. Nonetheless, he's specialized in ecchi of all things. So yeah, expect some animation and good mood building, which are the strenghts of this guy, but I can't speak for his talents in anything concerning horror

See, I have no doubts pretty much everything outside of the horror could end up being fine. The studio has shown they can do comedy decently and the story and characters aren't very complex, so I think the current staff can handle that pretty well. If they had shown any previous competency in creating horror adaptations, this forum post wouldn't exist, but given that the only horror adaptations they've done have been doodoo and the level of detail and execution of the horror required to translate this manga to animation and make it work, I'm worried this studio and staff aren't going to do this adaptation justice and leave people who interested in the concept or who love the manga disappointed.
Mar 20, 2021 4:46 PM
Sep 2016
ojeda_ede said:
Not gonna lie, I'm also a little worried about what they're going to do with the design of the "creatures", since they're all so detailed.

Whatever they do, I hope they manage to keep at least a similar vibe to the manga.

I just really hope they don't end up fucking up the designs like Studio Deen did with the Junji Ito Collection. Couldn't even finish the series with how dirty they did one of my favorite manga authors with that garbage.
Mar 21, 2021 7:09 AM
Nov 2019
Please don't use CGI studio Passione
Mar 21, 2021 1:32 PM

May 2009
thedestroyership said:
Please don't use CGI studio Passione

Most of big monsters have unique designs so making cgi models is pointless since they apper one time. They could use cgi for these little shits that are eaten by bigger and for the two fox masked ones.
KradH05t said:
Se for o diretor de Higurashi Gou, ai vai ser uma senhora tragédia.

It's by director of Ishuzoku reviewers, not Higurashi, he's busy with Sotsu anyway.
Mar 22, 2021 1:14 PM

Jan 2020
J3_Omega said:

Higurashi (Passione) had a lot of positive feedback smh. Same thing with Ishuzoku. You're overthinking it too much.
Apr 10, 2021 7:26 AM
Sep 2015
J3_Omega said:

Dude studio Passione has a very good animation. People really liked all their anime like higurashi, izhuzoku reviewers, Highschool dxd hero etc in japan and that is what matters and not the opinion of people who watch it free on pirate sites .
Apr 10, 2021 8:15 AM
Sep 2016
Bloody_Diahorrea said:
J3_Omega said:

Dude studio Passione has a very good animation. People really liked all their anime like higurashi, izhuzoku reviewers, Highschool dxd hero etc in japan and that is what matters and not the opinion of people who watch it free on pirate sites .

People finding an anime enjoyable does not necessarily correlate to the anime being good. Many people enjoy Sword Art Online and it's animation is very good, but it's a dumpsterfire in terms of story and characters. Many people (including me) found Ishizoku Reviewers enjoyable and had decent animation, but the anime itself is just monster harem trash.

Beyond that, though the quality of animation from Passione's works are not what I would call "very good," it's the fact that their track record shows they have little experience in tackling an adaptation with a high amount of detail for their monsters, as well as in executing the type of horror that makes Mieruko-chan work that has me skeptical. I don't care how well they've drawn cutesy monster girls or big tittied supporting cast with their bright, vibrant style of animation. I don't believe that experience will help them in adapting a dark, tense environment with grotesque, highly detailed monsters.

Finally, get the fuck outta here with your gatekeeping bullshit. Your delusional mindset of discounting the opinions of people by ignorantly profiling them only shows that you've got no real leg to stand on in your own opinion. As an anime viewer and manga reader, my opinions are just as valid as yours, despite how vehemently you try and pretend that they're not, so either respond with some actual reasoning, or don't bother responding at all.
Apr 13, 2021 7:23 AM
Oct 2020
I think Higurashi was Passione's 1st horror anime and biggest project and they really put a lot of effort into making that show, I think it was great. But still, the animation quality and the camera directing after ep 4 downgraded a lot. Expect some mediocre camera works, low teir quality animation and for the monsters to be downgraded because Passione is a small studio.
Jul 11, 2021 9:40 PM

Mar 2020
J3_Omega said:

Higurashi Gou isn't an adaptation, it's an anime-original sequel to the anime adaptation of the visual novel, and it's actually pretty good. It may not have gotten the best scores, but that was due in large part to people who thought it was a remake, and salty older fans who felt that continuing the story was "ruining it". If you don't believe me, check out Higurashi Sotsu's (sequel to Gou, also anime-original and made by Passione, airing now) score which I believe is currently hovering between 8.7 and 8.10.

That's not to say they'll do a good job with this one, haven't read much of the manga beyond a few panels that popped up on my Insta feed, but the monsters seemed really intricate. All I can say is, don't slam it before it's even out, and give the studio a chance to prove itself.
Jul 13, 2021 9:43 AM
Aug 2020
same lmao, based on their anime ‘island of giant insects’ their cgi sucks, if ever they make the monsters cgi. 😭
Jul 14, 2021 7:31 PM
Oct 2020
I’m a little worried. Thing is I haven’t seen much of passiones work tbh. I’ve only seen a little bit of high school dxd the 4th and by little I mean like half an episode. And from what they made so far, they don’t have much of track record it seems but as I said I haven’t seen much of their work so I don’t know. I hope they do it justice because I actually really love this manga.
Jul 16, 2021 6:47 AM

Nov 2020
All we can do is hope.

Look at LIDENFILMS, that's the studio who made Berserk 2016, but also able to make an awesome banger like Tokyo Revengers.
Jul 17, 2021 6:46 AM

Feb 2021
Nagatoro level of animation is fine for me. I hope they'll pay more attention to the details. For me, I'll see the first 3 episodes when it starts airing, but until then I'm hyped as fuck.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jul 18, 2021 11:30 AM

Oct 2020
I had the same concern with you regarding the details. From what I see from the current visuals, details are not as present as in the manga. I've also seen citrus and higurashi gou and a few clips of sou and I like the art. It didn't deter me in anyway at least. Though I read citrus first, so my initial interest in citrus could've got me going/hyped with the anime. But for my experience, hype can go both ways such as when season 1 of kobayashi dragon maid got released, I was very interested in it even tho I did not read the manga first not because of the visuals, but because of how much the first episode interested me, the story of it, the chemistry between the characters and the comedy. The wonderful animation was a plus point.

So linking this to Mieruko-chan, it could intrigue newcomers for its storyline rather than the art style/details of the anime. And for manga readers, it may be like in my case for citrus where the initial interest kept them going. Even if the studio didn't match up to how detailed the manga protray it to be, I believe the enjoyment of watching the anime would not decrease all that much unless it holds a great priority and even then it'd be sad to drop an anime because of its poor animation especially since Passione's style is really not bad. At least its not like the early 20s/late 90s. Or maybe my standards are really low.

Either way I can't wait to see it animated! We'll know when it airs. Concerns or not, its not within our control. Just enjoy it when it happens.
Jul 19, 2021 10:46 AM

Dec 2018
I was thinking the same. The manga’s imagery and the way they handled grotesque creatures was amazing. I hope they don’t attempt to censor or just ruin it in general. Doing so would probably ruin the ‘feel’ of the anime. I’m still pretty hyped either way!

Jul 22, 2021 9:15 AM

May 2009
Nokkonnie said:
All we can do is hope.

Look at LIDENFILMS, that's the studio who made Berserk 2016, but also able to make an awesome banger like Tokyo Revengers.

LidenFilms only helped with production, animation was done by Milliepense and Gemba. Also TR looks like shit compared to Hanabado!
Aug 14, 2021 3:59 PM

Jun 2017
daniboi1 said:
I think Higurashi was Passione's 1st horror anime and biggest project and they really put a lot of effort into making that show, I think it was great. But still, the animation quality and the camera directing after ep 4 downgraded a lot. Expect some mediocre camera works, low teir quality animation and for the monsters to be downgraded because Passione is a small studio.

If anything, their "horror" in Gou (and Sotsu so far) has been more comedic than horroristic. (funny amounts of blood, Rika getting stuffed into a toliet was downright hilarious)

It doesn't seem like they can do horror well at all but they proved with Ishuzoku reviewers they can nail comedy at least so that's something.... xD
Aug 15, 2021 12:10 AM
Feb 2021
J3_Omega said:

Tbh Higurashi Gou was fairly decent and Passione did a fair job on it. Even this new Higurashi season is pretty decent too.
Aug 21, 2021 2:02 AM

Jul 2014
Welp, I'm surprised enough that it IS being adapted so I won't complain.
J3_Omega said:
could be ruined by the fact that it's Passione adapting it.

J3_Omega said:

Passione doesn't have the greatest track record of adaptations under it's belt (Citrus, Higurashi Gou, DxD Hero)
I don't know what do you mean by that. If you mean that their shows (Higurashi Gou is NOT an adaptation) do not really have a high MAL score (over 8), then it's true. But objectively good doesn't mean popular, so...

I think Passione have what they need to adapt a show like this one. A spooky and goofy comedy with an interesting slowly developing plot... I'll definitely enjoy it but I don't know if it will be really popular around here. And I'm not sure if... dunno, a Shaft or ufotable adaptation would change a lot.
LeviathanTheEspAug 21, 2021 2:23 AM
Aug 24, 2021 4:10 AM
Jan 2018
Material Adaption wise dxd hero wasn’t bad . Aside from a few changes to add more fan service it’s one of the most faithful adaptions your gonna get
Mattinator95Aug 24, 2021 4:16 AM
Aug 31, 2021 9:04 AM
Jul 2018
It's from the legendary Interspecies Reviewers director. What could possibly go wrong?
Sep 10, 2021 3:09 PM
Aug 2009
Miko doesn't look too good in this one from the screenshots, 80% chance this is going to flop.
Sep 12, 2021 5:24 PM

Jan 2018
I dunno I think Passiones track is good enough. Citrus was one thing but i fundamentally dislike that series for other reasons. Ishuzoku was very well made, higurashi gou and sotsu, ignoring that strange fucking water mill, has looked very good. Hero was fine enough for me as far as DXD standards go. Joshikausei wa Mudazukai, if they can match that i will be perfectly satisfied. Hinako note too for that matter.

I think passione has done a lot more good than bad.
Sep 12, 2021 5:27 PM

Jan 2018
MomoSinX said:
daniboi1 said:

If anything, their "horror" in Gou (and Sotsu so far) has been more comedic than horroristic. (funny amounts of blood, Rika getting stuffed into a toliet was downright hilarious)

It doesn't seem like they can do horror well at all but they proved with Ishuzoku reviewers they can nail comedy at least so that's something.... xD

I hardly think we can blame passione for this alone. Im pretty sure we know they ryukishi had a lot of input in the story of gou. Although toilet stuffing and chandelier memes are not his typical MO, it does not shock me that much.
Sep 12, 2021 5:31 PM

Jan 2018
I think this is getting ignored because of what it is. But they did make ishuzoku reveiwers. Say what you want about it as far is its "story" goes, but i feel it did absolutely look really good and was well animated when it needed to be. Earning it that meme reputation of "one of the highest budget looking hentais ever made." The only place i have concern is where everyone else is worried which is the monsters. good studios struggle to make monsters look good with bigger budgets. if its not as blatantly bad as citrus' cgi croweds, and higurashi's CGI watermill, then i am optimistic. Every other aspect of the show I am not worried about given this studio's work.
Sep 13, 2021 9:06 PM
Sep 2019
Yep, horror mangas are rarely adapted well. I think studio skepticism just adds more to that already lingering skepticisms. I think it is obvious from the trailer that the style is more generic than Izumi's style, which might make it less charming than the original source. Considering it's a SOL past the monsters, it won't be hard animating most of the scenes, but the monsters is the punchline to the anime. I guess we'll have to see...
Sep 18, 2021 3:12 AM

Feb 2020
I hope this is going to be great.
Sep 20, 2021 10:15 PM

Jun 2019
Yes, the latest seasons of Higurashi are...just not very good when compared to the original story. but that's just it - it's the writing and story. I don't know how much of the blame can be laid at Passione's feet for that rather than the original writer and creator, Ryukishi. Also, I'm not a fan of the art style and character designs they went with for the new Higurashi seasons at all and something about the characters is way too empty and artificial-seeming, but again, I blame at least equally as much the creator whose work and property this is - He would have had to sign off on it and could simply have chosen not to. It hasn't been all awful, but many disappointing decisions and just low caliber storytelling compared to the original have led to it being subpar.

Still, I don't see how that specific situation will impact Passione's work in the future necessarily (in a negative sense or indicative of a negative trend) or condemn Mieruko-chan to going any particular way. I have to say I was very impressed with other series by Passione like Rokka no Yuusha and Ishuzoku Reviewers for what they were and what Passione did with them. Rokka no Yuusha had decent directing and animation and pulled off toggling back and forth between a lively and colorful fantasy adventure epic and a claustrophobic mystery noir and survival movie-esque series with heavy atmosphere where/when you wouldn't expect such. Ishuzoku Reviewers is just about as creative, humorous, and interesting a watch as an explicit gag comedy centered around...essentially bestiality with humanoid animals and fantastical creatures could be. Ecchi is one of my least favorite genres so it's really not my type of show, but it excelled at being exactly what it was supposed to be.

So I would say those are two positive examples. One is completely unfinished and in limbo for the past 6 years and the other basically animated softcore porn and a raunchy sex comedy like the American Pie films or something, so it's not like I can say either are close to a masterpiece in my eyes or anything, but I think it's evidence that the studio can achieve precisely what it sets out to do when all the stars align - chiefly in the form of having everyone on the same page - director, original creator if there is a source material, any additional writers and storyboarders, animator team. Even the voice actors/actresses and music composers. They all need to be firmly on the same page and fully aware that they're all committed to making the same type of anime and then it can feel fluid rather than stilted and not tonally inconsistent, ambiguous, and incoherent.
WatchTillTandavaSep 20, 2021 10:20 PM
Sep 22, 2021 6:42 AM
Apr 2017
i think this is the best studio for this anime. bc they did pretty well on higurashi which have some similiarity in this anime(fanservice with gore) and also have best gore scene that no one could dare to animated. and also other studio that can do this kind of anime, are really hard to get unless it's really popular, have amazing story, or some staff took interested in it. namely MAPPA and white fox.
Sep 23, 2021 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
Imagine doubting this team. CRINGE
Sep 24, 2021 1:38 PM
May 2020
I understand your worries, I feel the same. And I also kinda worried, because manga have ~30 chapters. I'm just not sure if it would be enough to make a great and dinamic adaptation. Feel like it would be monster of the week show though
Sep 25, 2021 5:59 PM

May 2017
J3_Omega said:

well since sotsu, i would say its not terrible, theres a chance it does good. im not too worried about that. the worst they could do is cgi every ghost.
Oct 2, 2021 10:23 AM
Feb 2014
J3_Omega said:

Passione has been pretty good lately, the problem with those titles that you listed isn't Passione but the source material, Citrus and DxD are pure garbage as for Gou it's all R07 fault, Passione just did what R07 wanted. Mudazukai and Reviewers are 2 of the last thing they did and they are really good.
Oct 2, 2021 10:31 AM

Apr 2012
Passione is a pretty high quality studio, their only problem is that their profile is mostly ecchi and hot stuff.
Oct 2, 2021 6:30 PM
Jan 2021
I watched all the seasons of HighSchool DxD and I don't understand why they put Hero into Passione's flops. DxD Hero has a decent animation with some moments where I can say "this is a good animation", and more importantly, it's not a fucking shitty adaptation like BorN.

I prefer the Hero designs to the absolute shit that BorN made.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mieruko-chan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2021

260 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 4, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Mieruko-chan Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2021

147 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 3, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Mieruko-chan Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2021

126 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 2, 11:23 PM

Poll: » Mieruko-chan Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Syureria - Oct 31, 2021

144 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 1, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Mieruko-chan Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2021

246 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 1, 5:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.