Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 26, 2015 8:37 AM

Apr 2011
I know there's fighting game fans on MAL, so what are your favorite games. Obviously so it's not a listing thread, mention what makes you like them more then other games, the game mechanics, characters, ext

I'm always surprised that games like LOL and CS:Go get so much hype in the Esports scene...Yet some of the most fair, competitive, and skill based genres of games "fighting games" don't draw nearly as big of crowds.

I think watching skilled players in game like KOF is a far more entertaining then watching LOL or CS:Go which is extremely boring to watch imo.
FintanNov 26, 2015 8:41 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 26, 2015 8:49 AM

Feb 2008
Not really good at fighting games, but I like the usual: King of Fighters, Tekken, Dead or Alive and sum Street Fighter. Anything that's not too flashy or too edgy with gore. But I kind of suck since I never find the time to actually practice and git gud. Most of my online experience was getting my as kicked by people that know what they are doing.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 26, 2015 9:20 AM

Apr 2011
Marvel Vs. Capcom

-There's tons of great games from the Capcom's Vs. series of games, some better then this one. However the nostalgia factor, how much I played it when I was younger, just forever will make this a classic in my mind. It of course is a good game too. It doesn't have a huge roster, but the assists add a lot of little bonus characters too making it have tons of fan service for Marvel and Capcom fans.

Street Fighter IIIrd Strike

-Real tough choice here... Other Street Fighter games have a lot more characters, and are arguably better. IIIrd Strike is just so well made though, and while at the time it was controversial, I grew to love the brand new characters on the roster. The jazz music, the gorgeous hand drawn art... The parrying. Game is great.

Capcom Vs. SNK 2

-Yup, another Vs. game. They're arguable the greatest series of fighting games ever. This is one of my favorites. The enormous roster, the crazy amount of freedom you have in terms of playstyle. Being able to do those LP+LK forward rolls with the street fighter characters <3 . Much love. Wish they made an online version for PS3/360.
Nov 26, 2015 9:20 AM

May 2013
The best in my eyes is Blazblue

- Has an amazing cast of characters who all play very differently and act very differently. All are incredibly likeable and have varying relationships with the other 27 characters

- Easy to pick up, very difficult to master. No matter how good you get with your main, there is always something new to learn, and when you do you feel accomplished every time.

- Gives the player many options, (mix up, cross ups, invincibility frames, super armour, teleports, delays, late cancels, jump cancels, rapid cancels, overdrives cancels, etc) allowing a lot of strategy and mindgames and always keeps the player engaged no matter what

- Has an amazing story that is deep and complex

- Has amazing netcode
Nov 26, 2015 9:23 AM

Apr 2015
My fav has to be bloody roar. I just love the concept of how each character can change into a specific beast. Too bad it's underrated and no more editions are coming out :/
Nov 26, 2015 9:29 AM

Apr 2011
Dark_Chaos said:

- Has an amazing cast of characters who all play very differently and act very differently. All are incredibly likeable and have varying relationships with the other 27 characters

- Easy to pick up, very difficult to master. No matter how good you get with your main, there is always something new to learn, and when you do you feel accomplished every time.

- Gives the player many options, (mix up, cross ups, invincibility frames, super armour, teleports, delays, late cancels, jump cancels, rapid cancels, overdrives cancels, etc) allowing a lot of strategy and mindgames and always keeps the player engaged no matter what

- Has amazing netcode

Never really got into BlazBlue. I have played Persona 4 Arena, which is a really good fighter. Still been meaning to pick up the extension version with the new characters. I'm mainly a Capcom guy myself, as you could probably tell... I did like the modes in some of the Guilty Gear games that had that brawler mode, where it was basically just a 2D beat em' up with Guilty Gear characters and way more complex gameplay.

Guilty Gear Isuka, although it wasn't great and tons of people hated it. That game had some interesting ideas that no other studio ever tried. It was very hard to tell what they were going for, especially with the whole having to press a button to turn around. Seems like something that if more work was put into it, it might be interesting.
Nov 26, 2015 10:08 AM

Jul 2015
Please, some FPS are far more balanced than most fighting games.

SF and Smash Bros games are the only things I'd play more than once or twice vs another player. I enjoyed Soul Calibur's 2 solo.
Nov 26, 2015 10:14 AM

Sep 2014
Just Smash Bros, because I'm a filthy casual when it comes to the fighting genre.
Nov 26, 2015 10:18 AM

Jan 2013
Favorite is the Soul Calibur series. Love how just about every fighter uses a weapon of some sort. I also like the variety in the roster. You get a choice among a hot MILF, a crocodile man, a walking suit of armor, tits, and Mel Gibson. The character creation system is also fun as fuck. The solo campaigns also have amazing storylines, though it got pretty bad in Soul Calibur V.
Nov 26, 2015 10:43 AM

Aug 2014
Just smash but I am a noob at fighting games. Smash is still more appealing to me than other fighting games though, more use of the stages latitude I guess.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Nov 26, 2015 10:45 AM

Feb 2015
Virtua Fighter is my absolute favourite :)

I also really like Street Fighter, Smash Bros, Capcom vs SNK, Soul Calibur and some others
Nov 26, 2015 10:47 AM
Jul 2018
Mortal Kombat X as of now, 'cause I like the mechanics 'n shit.

Super Smash Bros. Melee because of its ease of play.
Nov 26, 2015 10:51 AM

May 2013
Fintan said:
Dark_Chaos said:

- Has amazing netcode

Never really got into BlazBlue. I have played Persona 4 Arena, which is a really good fighter. Still been meaning to pick up the extension version with the new characters. I'm mainly a Capcom guy myself, as you could probably tell... I did like the modes in some of the Guilty Gear games that had that brawler mode, where it was basically just a 2D beat em' up with Guilty Gear characters and way more complex gameplay.

Guilty Gear Isuka, although it wasn't great and tons of people hated it. That game had some interesting ideas that no other studio ever tried. It was very hard to tell what they were going for, especially with the whole having to press a button to turn around. Seems like something that if more work was put into it, it might be interesting.

Persona 4 Arena is very similar to Blazblue and is the only other fighting game that I think has an amazing story and characters. It has a few key differences, though the main one is that it has a lot less options than Blazblue, making it limited in terms of combos, blockstring options, etc. Still, a very fun game that I go back to now and then :)

Never played Isuka and I've never been one for Capcom fighters as I find them even more limiting, but I highly respect Marvel VS Capcom 3 for letting players do many of the things that can be done in Anime fighters such as Blazblue (even though I hate the zoomed in camera on it >.<)

I also don't consider Smash Bros a fighting game despite it's shared similarities with the fighting game genre, but that's getting off topic I suppose.
Nov 26, 2015 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
Guilty Gear X2 #Reloaded

Have not played Xrd yet.

In the second place would be Blazblue.

Umineko fighting game looks pretty interesting,but it would too much of a chore to get it running.
P4A ditto. But it is console-only.

Besides those,I have played SFIV and Tekken 3,4.
removed-userNov 26, 2015 11:12 AM
Nov 26, 2015 11:09 AM
Jul 2018
Marvel vs Capcom 2. Characters aside it's pretty much a "classic". I loved playing it in the arcades.
Nov 26, 2015 11:11 AM

Jul 2015
Street Fighter Third Strike because I love the parry mechanic.

Every Smash Bros game because they're the only fighting games (even though they aren't really fighting games) i'm competent at.

I'm shit at fighting games.
Nov 26, 2015 11:16 AM

May 2013
toolazytopick said:
Street Fighter Third Strike because I love the parry mechanic.

Every Smash Bros game because they're the only fighting games (even though they aren't really fighting games) i'm competent at.

I'm shit at fighting games.

If you can parry well, I'd imagine you'd be quite good at fighting games, or at least the blocking part of it anyway. That shit requires a really good eye (no literally, you need amazing eyes, a good mind and great instincts to see hits coming and parry them consistently XD)
Nov 26, 2015 11:17 AM

Sep 2009
Melty Blood, Smash Melee, SF, KoF, crossovers, iamp.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 26, 2015 11:32 AM

Jul 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Just Smash Bros, because I'm a filthy casual when it comes to the fighting genre.

Believe it or not, the 2 first Smash Bros are actually really competitive and have been played in tournaments a lot. They're certainly a lot more balanced than filth like the Mortal Kombat license, despite the kawaii look and funky gameplay.

Played at a level that wouldn't make it very fun for me or you :p.
Nov 26, 2015 11:43 AM

May 2013
Clebardman said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

Believe it or not, the 2 first Smash Bros are actually really competitive and have been played in tournaments a lot. They're certainly a lot more balanced than filth like the Mortal Kombat license, despite the kawaii look and funky gameplay.

Played at a level that wouldn't make it very fun for me or you :p.

How is Mortal Kombat not balanced exactly?
Nov 26, 2015 12:15 PM

Jun 2015
mk x
Nov 26, 2015 1:05 PM

Oct 2013
street fighter is the most fun to play and watch for me, best characters and mechanics~

Fintan said:
I think watching skilled players in game like KOF is a far more entertaining then watching LOL or CS:Go which is extremely boring to watch imo.

i agree, but the downtime between significant tournaments is too big to compete with the other genres which are all running throughout the year with small breaks. there is no team aspect and a severe lack of outstanding personalities in the fg scene as well, so unless you really like the games it's hard to get drawn in as a newcomer.

Nov 26, 2015 1:52 PM

May 2013
Mojibake said:
street fighter is the most fun to play and watch for me, best characters and mechanics~

Fintan said:

i agree, but the downtime between significant tournaments is too big to compete with the other genres which are all running throughout the year with small breaks. there is no team aspect and a severe lack of outstanding personalities in the fg scene as well, so unless you really like the games it's hard to get drawn in as a newcomer.

What do you mean by a "lack of outstanding personalities"?
Nov 26, 2015 2:47 PM

Jul 2014
Smash melee for me since i'm a pleb, quite enjoy blazblue as well
Nov 26, 2015 3:55 PM

Jan 2013
Smash 4 is the only one I play competitively and I enjoy it the most because it plays different from every other fighter. Blazblue being my second favorite but its half for the fighting and the other half for the story.
Nov 26, 2015 3:58 PM

Oct 2013
Dark_Chaos said:

there are tons of well established players in the fg scene, but when compared to other esports the amount of exposure they get is minimal. for the most part all we see is players turning up to tournaments and playing until they can collect prize money, it's very hard to build up a fanbase like that unless you can make a storyline out of your games.

Nov 26, 2015 4:16 PM

May 2013
Mojibake said:
Dark_Chaos said:

there are tons of well established players in the fg scene, but when compared to other esports the amount of exposure they get is minimal. for the most part all we see is players turning up to tournaments and playing until they can collect prize money, it's very hard to build up a fanbase like that unless you can make a storyline out of your games.

I see what you mean about the exposure thing seeing as the fighting game community is much smaller compared to the other communities and therefore not as many players get to participate and get themselves known, but how do other esports players "make a storyline out of their games"? What do they do that players like Daigo and DawnHikarii don't?
Nov 26, 2015 4:48 PM

Feb 2010
I got into SF with 4 during arcade edition I play from time to time but I mostly watch. I hate links, specially online.

This year I got into 3rd strike (there's an arcade cabinet with it at my job) and it's SO MUCH FUN, way more fun than 4 even at low level play I can see why people love it now. I do think that the characters design sucks though, outside of yun, yang, makoto and the classics.
Nov 26, 2015 5:35 PM

Oct 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
I see what you mean about the exposure thing seeing as the fighting game community is much smaller compared to the other communities and therefore not as many players get to participate and get themselves known, but how do other esports players "make a storyline out of their games"? What do they do that players like Daigo and DawnHikarii don't?

not much else really in terms of gameplay, you either gain traction by being super dominant or doing something to attract attention that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise like pulling out the unexpected and having it pay off or just making a comeback. the difference is that the majority of players in other esports are constantly under the microscope so their opportunities to make these kinds of plays come very frequently, whereas fighting games are very feast or famine.

Nov 26, 2015 5:53 PM

May 2013
Mojibake said:
Dark_Chaos said:

not much else really in terms of gameplay, you either gain traction by being super dominant or doing something to attract attention that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise like pulling out the unexpected and having it pay off or just making a comeback. the difference is that the majority of players in other esports are constantly under the microscope so their opportunities to make these kinds of plays come very frequently, whereas fighting games are very feast or famine.

So in the end it's all to due with how much how much they play and their viewer count, huh (that's what I'm getting from this anyway)
Nov 26, 2015 7:15 PM

Feb 2014
CVS2:-
- Many options to select from.
- Good cast of characters

GG:-
- Good system.
- Anime style sprites.
- Each moveset has a purpose or attribute.

BB:-
Same as GG except that BB had the drive system which add to the "strategic" element of the game.

AH:-
- Arcana system which adds to the "strategic" elements of the game.
- Waifus
- Dash system, which gives more options when you want to either attack or avoid.

SF, KOF, Rival school :-
- Good cast of characters.
Nov 26, 2015 7:28 PM

Jul 2014
Fighting games? For fps games I'd say Overwatch. So hyped for it's release, been watching streams all day, I do play a lot of CS:GO and league.
Nov 26, 2015 7:30 PM

Dec 2007
Not a fan of the genre in general, but I thought Bushido Blade 1 and 2 for the PS1 were pretty awesome.

edit: derp.
SchnickelFritzNov 26, 2015 8:11 PM
Nov 26, 2015 7:58 PM

Jun 2014
I've always like Street Fighter because it's more simple than other fighters, and putting emphasis on spacing and waiting for a opportunity to outsmart your opponent rather than relying on combos like with other Fighting games.

I also like Fight Night because I've always liked boxing, but I like FNR4 in particular because it felt a lot more realistic than previous boxing games plus Haymakers weren't abused like they were previously.
Nov 27, 2015 3:26 AM

Jul 2015
Dark_Chaos said:

How is Mortal Kombat not balanced exactly?

I played most MK since the first one, and the only thing they did right in 10+ games was to steal the controls and special moves inputs of Street Fighter. MK can be a fun serie to play with friends, but anyone treating it like something else than a casual button mashing game like the Soul Calibur games is wrong. The MK devs are too busy implementing gore systems to have the tight gameplay you'd find in a Street Fighter game, KoF, or the two first Smash Bros.

I had some fun with Bloody Roar 3 too but damn it was seriously unbalanced. Just like SC2 and Necrid, anyone picking that fucking mole fighter wrecks the game.

The interesting competitive fighting games are always really simple to learn but actually have more depth than the button-mashing fighters like Killer Instinct (damn, nobody remembers this one...) to give you more possibilities. That's why Street Fighter's gameplay didn't changed much since the 2.
DeathkoNov 27, 2015 10:07 AM
Nov 27, 2015 3:29 AM

Feb 2008
SchnickelFritz said:
Not a fan of the genre in general, but I thought Bushido Blade 1 and 2 for the PS1 were pretty awesome.

Fuck yes, those games are awesome. Wish they made more games like that.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 27, 2015 9:22 AM

Apr 2011

One of the more hype years in recent memory.

Personally I don't really like MK, it's been more about show/gore then balance and skill. It's not a bad game, just don't like it that much. Soul Caliber actually isn't that popular in Japan compared to other fighting games, I've always liked it more as a console game(especially the original on Dreamcast). It had a fun story mode, MK too for that matter.

Street Fighter, KOF, Tekken.... Those are the ones I see as the real competitive/balanced fighting games. Arc System games are awesome don't get me wrong, they just aren't up there with those top three in my opinion. Lots of people say SF is too slow and doesn't have as much variety, I kind of get what those people mean but I think SF has just been perfecting its formula and making a fighting game that is one of the most balanced and skill based out there.

Anyone who likes Samurai Showdown, or weapon based fighting games. You may have heard of this one, but it never got much love in America. Really wish this one got a localized and a new release on modern consoles/arcade.
The Last Blade 1+2
Nov 27, 2015 3:34 PM

Feb 2010
I remember that evo, Infiltration was fucking sick.
Nov 27, 2015 3:39 PM
Aug 2012
Vampire Savior will always be my favorite. Talbain was the best. Even though it isn't a favorite I feel like I should also give a mention to SFIV for the ridiculous amount of time I put into it.
Nov 27, 2015 4:24 PM
Apr 2015
I'm not into fighting games as much anymore due to no Arcades in my area. Playing online is not the same due to lag. I play sometimes when my friends come over. My favorite fighting game series is still Street Fighter and King of Fighters. EVO 2015 was great but I missed most of it due to work.

List of fighting games I have played and enjoyed.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Different modes but V-ism or bust.
Street Fighter III Third Strike - Love the parrying system. Why doesn't this have a Ultra Hyper Arcade Black Edition?

The King of Fighters 97 - Still one of the best KoF game.

Tekken 3 - When Tekken didn't have obnoxious wall juggles.

Capcom vs Snk 2 - Different Groove Capcom bar or SNK charge.

Mortal Kombat 3 - Last MK game that I liked.

Killer Instinct 2 - While I am happy there is a new KI game, my friends don't play KI so I didn't purchase the game.

The Last Blade 2 - Samurai Shodown with parrying. My favorite character is Moriya but I'm better with a few other characters.

Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN - Collecting dust because my friends mainly play SF and KoF. I have to get them drunk and then talk mad shit to get them to try the game.

Garou Mark of the Wolves - Although Rock Howard sucks, he's still my favorite character.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 - Sentinel is lame but at least it doesn't have X Factor which is super lame.

Tobal 2 - Favorite 3D fighting game.

Rival Schools - Hideo and Kyoko is the best team.

Vampire Savior 3 - Morrigan

Other Neo-Geo fighting games I like. Fatal Fury Real Bout Special, Breakers Revenge, Waku Waku 7, World Heroes Jet, and Samurai Shodown 2
Nov 27, 2015 5:18 PM

Apr 2011
Why you not calling it Darkstalkers? I know that's the Japanese name, but we be Westerners in this bitch! Plus Darkstalkers is a way more bad ass name.
Nov 27, 2015 5:31 PM
Apr 2015
Fintan said:
Why you not calling it Darkstalkers? I know that's the Japanese name, but we be Westerners in this bitch! Plus Darkstalkers is a way more bad ass name.

I'm just used to calling it Vampire Savior. I own the import version for the Sega Saturn since it never was released in the US. I know it was released for the PS1 but 2D port of games usually sucked on the PS1.
Nov 28, 2015 7:03 AM

Apr 2011
Siruppercut said:
Fintan said:

I'm just used to calling it Vampire Savior. I own the import version for the Sega Saturn since it never was released in the US. I know it was released for the PS1 but 2D port of games usually sucked on the PS1.

Yeah... I played Darkstalkers for the first time on PS1, Darkstalkers 3. It was a decent port, not perfect but playable and fun(especially for a western fan who didn't know the difference...). Better then the Marvel Vs Capcom port on PS1. I then played Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower on Dreamcast, that was a great port. Dreamcast was a great console for fighting games, and where I played most of the games I still love today.
Nov 28, 2015 3:50 PM

Nov 2015
Tekken
I love Asuka and Nina. And has good characters (like Mokuton, Roger (the Kangaaro xD) and Kuma)
Nov 28, 2015 4:03 PM
Apr 2015
Fintan said:
Siruppercut said:

Yeah... I played Darkstalkers for the first time on PS1, Darkstalkers 3. It was a decent port, not perfect but playable and fun(especially for a western fan who didn't know the difference...). Better then the Marvel Vs Capcom port on PS1. I then played Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower on Dreamcast, that was a great port. Dreamcast was a great console for fighting games, and where I played most of the games I still love today.

You were thinking of either X-Men vs SF or MSH vs SF on the PS1. The loading time when you tag out your character during the game sucked on both those games. Sega Saturn version with the 4MB ram cart played both those games Arcade perfect.
Nov 28, 2015 4:50 PM

Feb 2010
2d: Street Fighter, Guilty Gear
3d: Virtua Fighter

I think the Street Fighter esports scene is much more internationalized than CS: GO. When Capcom needs to do for SF V is make it F2P on PC in Asia but with micro-transactions on say Rooster/Cosmetics to draw in an audience.
Nov 28, 2015 6:54 PM

Dec 2012
I'd say Street Fighter IV series is my favorite overall. I'm a fan of Smash, KoF, and Guilty Gear as well. Soul Calibur is a hit or miss for me. They haven't delivered an amazing game since Soul Calibur III imo.
Nov 28, 2015 8:56 PM

Jun 2008
Melee. Duh.

I'm into KoF but have nobody to practice against. I may buy it on Steam if anyone's ever interested in some friendly competition.
Nov 29, 2015 9:20 AM

Apr 2011
Siruppercut said:
Fintan said:

You were thinking of either X-Men vs SF or MSH vs SF on the PS1. The loading time when you tag out your character during the game sucked on both those games. Sega Saturn version with the 4MB ram cart played both those games Arcade perfect.

Oh I meant how the Marvel Vs. Capcom PS1 version just didn't even have the tag out/in options, and I believe there were other drawbacks(don't remember). Never played the ones you mentioned on Ps1. Sounds like they probably should have gone the same route and just eliminated the tag in/out aspect... Better then the game being broken due to the tag out times. It basically just made it more like KOF, it took away a lot of the strategy that was supposed to be in the game though.

Most of the my time playing fighting games was in the arcade and on dreamcast. I didn't even learn about that sega saturn stuff until like 2008 lol. At that point it didn't really matter. PS1 had some good fighting game ports though, like SF alpha's. I always thought the Darkstalkers 3 port for PS1 was good too... What did you think was bad about it?
Nov 29, 2015 9:23 AM

Apr 2011
live2win said:
2d: Street Fighter, Guilty Gear
3d: Virtua Fighter

I think the Street Fighter esports scene is much more internationalized than CS: GO. When Capcom needs to do for SF V is make it F2P on PC in Asia but with micro-transactions on say Rooster/Cosmetics to draw in an audience.

That would be an AWESOME idea. They already have some F2P fighters for PS3, like Tekken. Capcom would be smart to do that... Thing is, it still would have the learning curve which some do not like.

I think that would help a lot though.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 2024 Videogames! What did you like, or plan to get?

rohan121 - 8 hours ago

6 by Alpha-Nine »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom announced

wildhood - 6 hours ago

3 by AverageRiceFan »»
2 hours ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

-Fantastical- - Apr 16

23 by KenaiPhoenix »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Cs:go or Valorant?

bernierimo - Nov 1, 2020

46 by KenaiPhoenix »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Mario & Luigi: Brothership announced

wildhood - 6 hours ago

3 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.