Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is this anime really as bad as the reviews say?
Nov 3, 2013 2:21 AM

Apr 2012
I read some reviews for this anime and god do they make the anime sound bad. They even mention attempted rape in this anime. So I tried watching it to see it for myself. And I gotta say Its pretty fucking tame. I expected something worse than this, the worst thing they do is calling her names, everything else is pretty normal. At least for a vampire. You have to see it like a cat playing with a mouse before it kills it. So I dont see why people flip out so much about it, its normal they would play a bit with their food before sucking its blood. Altough attempted rape doesnt never happen. Unless you confuse rape with feeding.

Also People have a LOT of double standards. If you guys have red the Manga Kangoku Gakuen youd know why. In the manga 5 boys that recently got into an all-girls school (first year mixxed school) get imprisoned inside the school by the girls, inside a real fully functional prison for 1 month (its still ongoing and it seems a 2nd month is coming for some really stupid reasons). There they have to work hard labor the whole day, are only allowed to attend classes over a tv, the girl that is watching over the sexually harrasses them, beats them at every occasion even with a riot stick, and they also terrorize the boys psychologicaly. (threatening to cut their dicks off etc..). The reason why all that happened? They peeked into the girls bath.
That manga is mostly regarded as a masterpiece or really really good in the review section. And no the manga never tries to make the things the girls do look bad. It masquerades it with some ecchi an panty shots by the girls and says its all good.
Compared to that Diabolik Lovers is a childs anime, yet the reviews are trashing it to the ground a an offense to women and because its full of sexism.
Which is actually impossible since Vampires are another species and on the food chain above us, so it cant be sexism to treat your live-stock badly.

I am sad to see that the world is full of double standards. Is this what feminism whas supposed to bring?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 3, 2013 4:33 AM

Dec 2012
Double standard? you wot m8?

This isn't a double standard, Prison school is a parody manga with over the top ecchi and great comedy. The story was never meant to be taken seriously ( the whole premise is crazy like everything else) nor does it ''masquerades it with some ecchi'' the ecchi is not to distract from the abuse the guys have, it's a key part of the manga, it's not just a bonus. I think the manga is brilliant and knows how to make full use of it's ecchi and take it to a whole new level. Making absurd and stupid situations look epic as fuck

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1375/40/1375405920096.png

http://i.imgur.com/XCPjfYL.png

http://24.media.tumblr.com/da6dd8e65364c8de13ec57741cf22ce4/tumblr_muwsgaPsH91sb19zno1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/facbdfe9346bc1a0340936e24758a6a6/tumblr_msuz6dFxc31rexm2do1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/05cf1deff6f3692cc261e1f9a1e8735c/tumblr_mu6fu0mC4u1rhs7mro1_500.jpg

Diabolik lovers is taken itself seriously and it's not the first ''rape fantasy'' story that is directed towards women. Otome games are full of those.
tsudecimoNov 3, 2013 4:39 AM
Nov 3, 2013 4:35 AM
Mar 2011
tsudecimo said:

This isn't a double standard, Prison school is a parody manga with over the top ecchi and great comedy. The story was never meant to be taken seriously ( the whole premise nor does it ''masquerades it with some ecchi'' the ecchi is not to distract from the abuse the guys have, it's a key part of the manga, it's not just a bonus. I think the manga is brilliant and knows how to make full use of it's ecchi and take to a whole new level. Making absurd and stupid situations look epic as fuck

http://24.media.tumblr.com/da6dd8e65364c8de13ec57741cf22ce4/tumblr_muwsgaPsH91sb19zno1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/facbdfe9346bc1a0340936e24758a6a6/tumblr_msuz6dFxc31rexm2do1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/05cf1deff6f3692cc261e1f9a1e8735c/tumblr_mu6fu0mC4u1rhs7mro1_500.jpg

Diabolik lovers is taken itself seriously and it's not the first ''rape fantasy'' story that is directed towards women. Otome games are full of those.

very true
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 3, 2013 4:56 AM

Apr 2007
baki502 said:
So I dont see why people flip out so much about it, its normal they would play a bit with their food before sucking its blood. Altough attempted rape doesnt never happen. Unless you confuse rape with feeding.

Vampirism has been used as a metaphor for sex for hundreds of years, even before Anne Rice and Twilight. None of the main characters in Diabolik Lovers actually say 'lol i'm gonna rape you' or anything to that effect, but you're being really obtuse if you can't read between the lines here.
Nov 3, 2013 5:42 AM

Apr 2012
ona said:
baki502 said:
So I dont see why people flip out so much about it, its normal they would play a bit with their food before sucking its blood. Altough attempted rape doesnt never happen. Unless you confuse rape with feeding.

Vampirism has been used as a metaphor for sex for hundreds of years, even before Anne Rice and Twilight. None of the main characters in Diabolik Lovers actually say 'lol i'm gonna rape you' or anything to that effect, but you're being really obtuse if you can't read between the lines here.

Even if they would full on rape her I still wouldnt see a problem. You see they are fucking VAMPIRES, she is a human she is an inferior being. Its like tentacle monster raping a girl, no one bats an eye there, why here?

Look Im not really into the whole feeding thing that is maybe a rape innuendo, but neither is it revolting. I simply feel indiferent about it. But I dont know why people fret so much over this little thing and focus on it, when the anime has a somewhat interesting mystery story. I am genuinely interested to see her connection with everything, the artstyle is gorgeus (have you seen dem eyes?). Yet people simply freak about this one little thing.
baki502Nov 3, 2013 5:46 AM
Nov 3, 2013 5:49 AM

Apr 2012
tsudecimo said:

This isn't a double standard, Prison school is a parody manga with over the top ecchi and great comedy. The story was never meant to be taken seriously ( the whole premise is crazy like everything else) nor does it ''masquerades it with some ecchi'' the ecchi is not to distract from the abuse the guys have, it's a key part of the manga, it's not just a bonus. I think the manga is brilliant and knows how to make full use of it's ecchi and take it to a whole new level. Making absurd and stupid situations look epic as fuck

Oh so because it has comedy and ecchi what they do is ok? Hell yeah mate Im gonna go beat a kid with a riot stick while telling funny jokes, surely there is no problem? Prison School isnt like say bokutatsu dokuro-chan that anime is where I know that the violence isnt to be taken serious. However in Prison school it has to be taken serious, if you think its all fun what those girls do to them you must be a psycho.

And good job showing all the comedy and ecchi scans, why not show some of the violence scans while youre at it?
Nov 3, 2013 6:32 AM

Dec 2012
It's not about if it's okay or not, it's not supposed to be taken seriously. No it's not okay since that would happen in reality and we are talking about fiction here ( I know you are trying to use an example but it's a bad one nonetheless). It just adds to the over the top feel and crazy atmosphere the manga has, I'm not sure what else you want me to say. I didn't like the bleeding and hemorrhoids parts but gross humor has its audience I suppose.

I don't know why would someone take the actual story seriously ( being in prison for a month for peaking, the principle being a huge pervert, letting them off the hook because they answer his silly question, Vice- president Meiko, wanting to stay in the school because of a wet t-shirt contest, etc. All of these are indicators that you shouldn't take it seriously and accept the craziness of everything, that is the beauty of fiction sometimes), at first I was annoyed that the student council has ridiculous power, but I quickly forgotten about that after I got really into the manga and it's atmosphere and started loving the characters, same thing happened with Kill la Kill and Medaka box.

I can't the answer the question of the poll since I only watched one episode and the whole anime is not appealing to me in the slightest ( I was just interested in the visuals) nor was it ever meant to be appealing for me in the first place like the rest of reverse harems or Otome games.
Nov 3, 2013 6:42 AM

Apr 2012
tsudecimo said:
It's not about if it's okay or not, it's not supposed to be taken seriously. No it's not okay since that would happen in reality and we are talking about fiction here ( I know you are trying to use an example but it's a bad one nonetheless). It just adds to the over the top feel and crazy atmosphere the manga has, I'm not sure what else you want me to say. I didn't like the bleeding and hemorrhoids parts but gross humor has its audience I suppose.

I don't know why would someone take the actual story seriously ( being in prison for a month for peaking, the principle being a huge pervert, letting them off the hook because they answer his silly question, Vice- president Meiko, wanting to stay in the school because of a wet t-shirt contest, etc. All of these are indicators that you shouldn't take it seriously and accept the craziness of everything, that is the beauty of fiction sometimes), at first I was annoyed that the student council has ridiculous power, but I quickly forgotten about that after I got really into the manga and it's atmosphere and started loving the characters, same thing happened with Kill la Kill and Medaka box.

I can't the answer the question of the poll since I only watched one episode and the whole anime is not appealing to me in the slightest ( I was just interested in the visuals) nor was it ever meant to be appealing for me in the first place like the rest of reverse harems or Otome games.

I get your point but then why take Diabolik lovers seriously? Both are peace of fiction.

And I guess everyone his own. I did take Kangoku Gakuen seriosly and at first I was really shocked and revolted, and my manpride hurt, but the mangaka is such a genius that they always leave a drop of fighting spirit in the characters and when it gets the worst they come up with some wacky idea and you want them to succeed. This is pretty whats been keeping me to the manga, I want to see if they one day finally beat the student council and I cheer them on doing so.
Nov 3, 2013 11:09 AM

May 2012
There is no rape or attempt to rape in diabolic lovers, unfortunately. If it has such thing, I would give it higher score. Biting a girl in her neck is not a rape.

And people who say that this anime is full of sexism, would you say the same if the victim was a guy ? Or sexism only applies when the victim is a woman ?
Nov 3, 2013 2:07 PM

Apr 2013
I don't care about the rape, sexism, or whatever, but c'mon guys. The whole thing is in bad taste, it really shouldn't surprise anyone that this offends people.

And it's simply not an enjoyable anime. The 1's given on the reviews were quite accurate.
Nov 3, 2013 4:21 PM

Apr 2012
Cupquake said:
I don't care about the rape, sexism, or whatever, but c'mon guys. The whole thing is in bad taste, it really shouldn't surprise anyone that this offends people.

And it's simply not an enjoyable anime. The 1's given on the reviews were quite accurate.

People just havent been on the internet enough if they get that easily offended by this kind of softcore stuff.
Nov 3, 2013 6:52 PM
Nov 2013
<font><font>baki502</font></font> said:
tsudecimo said:

I get your point but then why take Diabolik lovers seriously? Both are peace of fiction.

And I guess everyone his own. I did take Kangoku Gakuen seriosly and at first I was really shocked and revolted, and my manpride hurt, but the mangaka is such a genius that they always leave a drop of fighting spirit in the characters and when it gets the worst they come up with some wacky idea and you want them to succeed. This is pretty whats been keeping me to the manga, I want to see if they one day finally beat the student council and I cheer them on doing so.

I have not read Kangoku Gakuen, so I do not know much about history.

Although it is fiction, I think people take Diabolik Lovers very seriously is because involves a situation that may happen (and happened). I will put this situation in a sentence "a group of guys make a girl a prisoner, mistreating and putting her in danger of death to satisfy his own desires", also sexualizes the situation.

In addition, overall violence against women is considered a very serious matter (because it is a very serious matter), but violence towards man is not considered serious (this is wrong).

PS: Let me clarify, I do not think the creators have wanted to get into this situation, I think this story was directed especially to fantasy domination / submission (not necessarily want to experiment).
Konja9Nov 3, 2013 6:59 PM
Nov 4, 2013 12:51 AM

Mar 2009
This is how I feel when people call Kill la Kill misogynistic and sexist.

Diabolik Lovers, though? It's deserving of all the vitriol.
Nov 4, 2013 4:06 AM

Apr 2012
Mormegil said:

What? Why would Kill la Kill be misgynistic and sexist?
Seriously the word sexism is the worst word ever invented, I dont know of any word that has been any more annoying than this one.

Ive never understood the problem with sexualizing women or men either, especially in fiction. Whats the fucking problem with it?
I understand the whole equal rights thing and everything, but all this "nudity and sex is sexist and bad" thing is going too far.

Konja9 said:

Although it is fiction, I think people take Diabolik Lovers very seriously is because involves a situation that may happen (and happened). I will put this situation in a sentence "a group of guys make a girl a prisoner, mistreating and putting her in danger of death to satisfy his own desires", also sexualizes the situation.

In addition, overall violence against women is considered a very serious matter (because it is a very serious matter), but violence towards man is not considered serious (this is wrong).

PS: Let me clarify, I do not think the creators have wanted to get into this situation, I think this story was directed especially to fantasy domination / submission (not necessarily want to experiment).

Its not a group of men or guys that do that its a group of "vampires". That changes everything. If I saw the characters in Diabolik lovers as human males, I might be a bit disgusted too, but the thing is they arent human males.

And ofc it is pandering to the crowd that like S&M and domination stuff but I dont see the problem with that? Is it wrong to have a thing for domination/submission fantasies and play? And the thing is the anime is mostly aimed at women. If some women like to indulge into fantasies about being dominated by males why fret over it? If its not your thing move on and let the people enjoy what they do. Not every women has to be that independent strong women that needs no man.

Im not addressing this at you but simply at the people that have a problem with it generally.
Nov 4, 2013 5:16 AM
Nov 2013
baki502 said:
Konja9 said:

Its not a group of men or guys that do that its a group of "vampires". That changes everything. If I saw the characters in Diabolik lovers as human males, I might be a bit disgusted too, but the thing is they arent human males.

And ofc it is pandering to the crowd that like S&M and domination stuff but I dont see the problem with that? Is it wrong to have a thing for domination/submission fantasies and play? And the thing is the anime is mostly aimed at women. If some women like to indulge into fantasies about being dominated by males why fret over it? If its not your thing move on and let the people enjoy what they do. Not every women has to be that independent strong women that needs no man.

Im not addressing this at you but simply at the people that have a problem with it generally.

Well, I have no problem with the the fantasies of domination / submission. I mentioned that Diabolik Lovers was directed towards these fantasies to clarify that I did not think the creators were looking into the other situation ("a group of guys make a girl a prisoner, mistreating and putting her in danger of death to satisfy his own desires").

Actually, I have no problems with the series itself. As you say, it's fiction and I try not to take it seriously. Still, I understand why there are many criticisms (the people who criticize the series will not see these guys as vampires, but as male).

I guess that many who dislike Diabolik Lovers have stopped watching the serie.
Konja9Nov 4, 2013 6:11 AM
Nov 4, 2013 11:49 AM

Mar 2013
Oh my God, this thread is stupid. OP, please, I don't think you know what sexism is. You can't be sexist towards men - it's impossible. It's the same in the respect that you can't be racist towards white people. Yeah, maybe your pathetic "man pride" got hurt, but you haven't been hated on for millennia just because of what you were born as, which women have.

And actually, although I didn't watch the episode, a friend informed me that the Bitch-chan guy with the fedora had an ambiguous rape scene in a church where he bites up the girl's thigh despite her crying out for him to stop. The scene cuts out, but we honestly don't know what happened - he probably raped her, considering the themes. So don't sit there and say there was no "actual rape" in this anime.

Besides that, the rape that I referred to in my review was the biting. Vampire bites have been sexual for years, as someone else in this thread already said. They're obviously being used as a sexual tool here too. A lot of fiction has girls offering their blood up as a romantic gesture, one that makes her moan when she is bitten. Other examples of vampiric sexualisation would be the 1992 movie Bram Stoker's Dracula, where girls are changed into vampires during sex. Here the vampires are approaching the girl in bed, pinning her down, dragging her into baths, doing things to her thighs and breasts. One of them even tells her she needs pleasure from it too - ie, he is gaining sexual pleasure from the act, which is what rapists gain too.

The thing that romanticises this anime most though is that it is aimed at women with the intention of having women desire this girl's situation. It's not just rapey, but continually abusive. A hell of a lot of women suffer abuse - no-one desires that, even in fantasies. That is the problem here. There's a difference between S&M and rape/abuse, which 50 Shades of Grey helped to blur the lines of with its shitty writing, so please don't compare BDSM to this anime. That's really gross and insulting to people that practice it. Getting beaten because you want to be is so very different from abuse. Nobody wants psychological and physical abuse. This anime panders to noncon fantasies specifically, which have much better sources than this pile of abusive shit. It's a bad anime besides any offensive material, which I also said in my review. If you want noncon, at least watch something fucking decent.
Nov 4, 2013 1:21 PM

Mar 2008
this anime is fking awful and this is coming from a female. I don't understand how anyone can be into this sick crap.
not only that but the characters suck so much I don't even.. they don't have any personality whatsoever

so yes, what I'm trying to say is that I find this anime offensive, disturbing as well as disgusting. I'd love to watch a good otome game adaption someday but sadly this definitely isn't one.
Nov 4, 2013 2:49 PM

Jul 2007
This series is just another average (alias crappy) otome adaptation that got more attention than normal because it has vampires, simple as that.

It isn't the worst thing ever, but since it got more people criticizing it, then it looks like it is.

Personal opinion: I still thing this is slightly better than Amnesia.
Nov 4, 2013 5:54 PM
Oct 2013
It's not over exaggerating if Diabolik Lovers really bothers certain people that much.
Everyone has different tastes and limitations. Becoming so desensitized that you don't have empathy for others people's feelings or the affect certain things can have on others isn't a good thing. I was becoming that way then I realized I need to find a moral compass. I'm not going to joke around about abusive content and minimalize it just because it's fiction. Abuse is wrong regardless if it's done to men or women.

Having had a friend who was in a real life abusive relationship and me being powerless to do anything because 1. she lied to protect him, 2. didn't even realize she was being abused, 3. lost her morals and changed into a person I did not know anymore because of his influence. Diabolik Lovers now hits a very bitter personal note for me.

The thing is most people walking into this anime don't know where it came from, it's from an otome game targeted towards Do-M women. Do-S characters are a huge fetish in the Japanese otome game market right now. Diabolik Lovers being one series that really gained a lot of attention.

So here we have a situation where unsuspecting anime fans are walking into this show expecting a normal type of romance anime just with awesome sexy vampires. Not being the intended target audience of this anime of course they are going to be uncomfortable/disgusted when there's nothing but rape innuendo and abuse towards the main character. They weren't looking for that kind of show in the first place.
Nov 4, 2013 6:27 PM

Jul 2010
No they just got traumatized with twilight and they think everything that's vampire is like it.
When it is so not,the real fans know it is not like twilight.
Nov 4, 2013 8:24 PM

Mar 2009
baki502 said:
Mormegil said:

What? Why would Kill la Kill be misgynistic and sexist?
Seriously the word sexism is the worst word ever invented, I dont know of any word that has been any more annoying than this one.

I wish I knew. Either they're bothered by the "rape" jokes, or it's the fanservice. I just see it as a silly, fun anime. It's a shame the fanbase is so divided. Anyway, this is off-topic...
Nov 4, 2013 9:34 PM

May 2008
First off, not looking to have an argument here, but if you're going to attack other people's opinions as to why they find this offensive and like, why make a thread asking about it?

I personally don't care for it due to how the whole thing is done. If it was presented in better taste I wouldn't mind that much since ultimately it is a show with a sheep amongst wolves, but the guys are just too messed up in a way that them being wolves doesn't explain it; at least half of them need a therapist. And a few scenes were done in ways which weren't necessary.

If it was a strong-willed, intelligent female with some common sense amongst some male vampires who were actually intelligent, clever, and in their "right mind" rather than some twisted nutcases, I wouldn't mind to the same degree probably since the whole presentation would be different, and more "realistic" and true to the scenario.

Do I find this sexist? No, simply insulting. I'm more...uneasy (to try to put it in a way to not get on anyone's bad side) in how there are females who actually enjoy watching and playing out in games such scenarios.
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nov 5, 2013 1:05 AM

Jun 2008
I don't really get all the fuss about this either. I've seen way more crappy stuff than this and it's not even the worst thing ever so i do think the review are over exaggerating. I know what was coming in for me when i first started the series so i expected all sort of things especially considering how this is adapted from an otome game, any form character development or even a good plot just doesn't exist. I guess i'm the only one who can watch this without feeling offended or insulted since i can't take this seriously? Rape? All it has was the vibe, nothing happened at all? Abuse? The only form of abuse that i saw was the girl getting insults all the time from them and being shoved around like a servant, nothing really physical were involved or damaging. Those characters aren't even in a romantic relationship so of course they wouldn't give a damn about the other people think. They're not friends or even lovers. They almost treat each other as master and servants/toys. Even worst because that's what happened when you have a sadistic cast of characters. The girl isn't even affected so no compassion for her or the characters. It's nothing compared to the real ones out there at all, especially to do with vampires? Not sure if human morals are even supposed to be taken seriously when this sort of thing is involved. Whether it is something that is popular in japan right now or not it was something that is targeted toward women who enjoy s&m play. It's a guilty pleasure and it's just fantasy. Just like any shitty hentai series out there as well. Why do girls in hentai enjoy being raped? Ya think people really enjoy it in real life? But why do people still watch it or indulge themselves in such shameful and immoral things? It's all about fantasy, ain't it? AND YES, there are people who do enjoy this sort of series, ain't got no problem with that unless it's being done in real life. While i usually hates the idea of women being sexualized and disempowered all the time in all forms of entertainment, I'm fine with this because this series was way beyond the boundary to be taken seriously and it is a series that caters to women who wanted this sort of fantasy, not that they desire this thing in real life obviously. The series did what it was meant to do and it didn't take itself seriously as the characters obviously doesn''t even learn. I do not believe that just because the characters in the plot take themselves seriously means it is serious. I reckon it's pretty tame compared to the manga too. I've read all sort of smutty josei and shoujo series, this is nothing at all. I honestly thought Amnesia was worst for me.
EstherellaNov 5, 2013 1:34 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 5, 2013 2:13 AM
Aug 2012
No. Even if you look aside from the rape and the sadism it's still a horrible anime. The writing and the directing are both absolute crap. The show (so far) has literally been the same fucking shit for seven episodes with all the boys trying to rape Yui. Then they try to bring in some story with the flash back episode, but guess what, that didn't say jack.
Even disregarding the controversial topics the story and the characters are still garbage.
Nov 5, 2013 3:45 AM
Oct 2009
tl;dr

I think people exagerate when they freak out about an anime series (aka fiction) that is obviously geared towards grown women and that openly states that all characters except Yui are sadists. You should know what you're getting into.
I don't think series like this are promoting mistreatment, rape or violence. Just like gore horror anime, it only delivers strong emotions that some people will enjoy.

Production-wise, I sure don't think it's amazing or anything, but the art, animation etc. aren't particularly bad either. The story is a bit weak (as in, there isn't much of a story), but it deinitely has more original developments than some other otome game-based series (*cough* Brother Conflicts) and a stronger female lead than you know who (yeah, I'm talking about Heroine-chan from Amnesia).
It's not sweet though, the romance is twisted and rough, and that reduces the potential audience even more.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I like DiaLovers very much, but I do think anyone screaming 'rape! The horror!' is exagerating.
SuzieNov 5, 2013 3:49 AM
Nov 6, 2013 12:28 AM

Jun 2008
Unrelated topic-------

Not going to lie but you can't be racist to white is so wrong because I seen and heard it happens. While it might have been in the minority, it still does happen particularly in countries with other ethnicity. Not everyone look up to western cultures or even appreciate their conducts. You don't have to be necessary fully marginalised just to identify racisms. Marginalization and disempowerment are not the only factors taken into account for racisms. You can also be sexist towards men in another regard.
EstherellaNov 6, 2013 12:33 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2013 6:09 AM

Aug 2009
And this is why feminists give women a bad name.

But I am a piece of shit alpha male wolf that rapes useless women so what do I know.

On Topic:I am not watching the series yet,I only read the thread title and was kinda late till I figured it out,but double standards were always a problem.
Nov 6, 2013 7:28 AM

Dec 2012
Thread Cleaned

Insulting comments removed. Quotes of deleted comments removed. Please don't escalate the thread into male or feminism bashing.
Dec 15, 2013 7:18 AM

Jun 2008
divaya said:
It's not over exaggerating if Diabolik Lovers really bothers certain people that much.
[...]
The thing is most people walking into this anime don't know where it came from, it's from an otome game targeted towards Do-M women.

I agree regarding the first part (of course there are always people who don't like something, but there are many in this case), but it originally started as a (drama) CD series. There isn't much to find story-wise in them so I suppose you could say the anime adapted more material from the first game, though. However, I do think your approach is right: It became popular because of the theme (vampires -> blood sucking) and in addition, they used the dummy head microphone (which I think wasn't as common in use then). Of course there are all those popular seiyuu as well. But in the end, many popular series get adapted to anime format, whether the medium can draw out additional, profitable qualities or not.
Dec 15, 2013 1:41 PM

Jul 2013
RosyXkid said:
No they just got traumatized with twilight and they think everything that's vampire is like it. When it is so not,the real fans know it is not like twilight.
I completely 100% agree with this statement. Vampires have been portrayed through various stories (VK, Vampire Diaries, Twilight, Orange Marmalade, and many MANY more) as angsty, heartbroken, romantic souls who do not wish to drink human blood. Not that there isn't anything wrong with that but they should have put some sort of warning to all those innocent vampire and reverse harems fangirls that this isn't their usual cup of tea. Original vampires, such as Dracula, ENJOYED drinking a maiden's flesh and feeding off of her fear. I think Diabolik Lovers was attempting to portray that but got all mixed up with the reverse harem bishie romance cliches and what it turned to be was a half-baked S&M melodrama with boys who became all messed up because of their mommy problems and childhood angst. *facepalm* The plot actually had potential (if you know what the story is about based on the otome game) and I was genuinely interested in it, but this anime is purely fanservice and a half-assed attempt to make a horror and reverse harem combo.

Onto the controversial topic of rape...It all depends on how much you have been exposed to.I can see why this anime scared and received a lot of hate. Remember that the type of audience who usually watches reverse harems and vampire romance are typically romantic comedy lovers who enjoy sweet happy romantic scenes. They were simply disillusioned and disappointed that this isn't what they usually watch. Honestly, I have read much, MUCH worse stories (or just their summaries) that included suicide-induced bullying, coerced rape, "consensual rape," Stockholm syndrome affected girls who confuse abuse with love, etc. etc. This anime is barely even the tip of the iceberg in concerns with rape-like situations. Rape is a very strong word and to apply it to this anime is simply glossing over the horrors of actual rape. Have you seen/read Beserk? I only see Yui being bullied and molested. The vampires touch her and suck her blood by force, treat her like dirt, push her around, and oppress her mentally, psychologically, verbally, and physically. That's bullying and sexual harassment but not rape. There may be slight innuendos but that's it. It is an abusive relationship but HELLO the summary said that the brothers are sadastic and what is S&M if not abusive?

Sexism is a controversial topic that likes to be blown out of proportion. So when the males are S and the females are M...people call that sexism, but not when it's vice versa. That is basically saying that females can slap males but males aren't allowed to slap them back. As a female, I am irritated at how Yui is treated but THE BROTHERS ARE ELITE SADASTIC VAMPIRES. It doesn't make the bullying ok or anything but it gives reason to why they act they way the do. How can they show their sadastic side to Yui if they don't bully her? It's like saying how can they show their egoism and arrogance if they do not scorn her. They could have treated her much, much worse.
Dec 31, 2013 9:28 AM

Apr 2012
tiffanyhng said:
RosyXkid said:
No they just got traumatized with twilight and they think everything that's vampire is like it. When it is so not,the real fans know it is not like twilight.
I completely 100% agree with this statement. Vampires have been portrayed through various stories (VK, Vampire Diaries, Twilight, Orange Marmalade, and many MANY more) as angsty, heartbroken, romantic souls who do not wish to drink human blood. Not that there isn't anything wrong with that but they should have put some sort of warning to all those innocent vampire and reverse harems fangirls that this isn't their usual cup of tea. Original vampires, such as Dracula, ENJOYED drinking a maiden's flesh and feeding off of her fear. I think Diabolik Lovers was attempting to portray that but got all mixed up with the reverse harem bishie romance cliches and what it turned to be was a half-baked S&M melodrama with boys who became all messed up because of their mommy problems and childhood angst. *facepalm* The plot actually had potential (if you know what the story is about based on the otome game) and I was genuinely interested in it, but this anime is purely fanservice and a half-assed attempt to make a horror and reverse harem combo.

Onto the controversial topic of rape...It all depends on how much you have been exposed to.I can see why this anime scared and received a lot of hate. Remember that the type of audience who usually watches reverse harems and vampire romance are typically romantic comedy lovers who enjoy sweet happy romantic scenes. They were simply disillusioned and disappointed that this isn't what they usually watch. Honestly, I have read much, MUCH worse stories (or just their summaries) that included suicide-induced bullying, coerced rape, "consensual rape," Stockholm syndrome affected girls who confuse abuse with love, etc. etc. This anime is barely even the tip of the iceberg in concerns with rape-like situations. Rape is a very strong word and to apply it to this anime is simply glossing over the horrors of actual rape. Have you seen/read Beserk? I only see Yui being bullied and molested. The vampires touch her and suck her blood by force, treat her like dirt, push her around, and oppress her mentally, psychologically, verbally, and physically. That's bullying and sexual harassment but not rape. There may be slight innuendos but that's it. It is an abusive relationship but HELLO the summary said that the brothers are sadastic and what is S&M if not abusive?

Sexism is a controversial topic that likes to be blown out of proportion. So when the males are S and the females are M...people call that sexism, but not when it's vice versa. That is basically saying that females can slap males but males aren't allowed to slap them back. As a female, I am irritated at how Yui is treated but THE BROTHERS ARE ELITE SADASTIC VAMPIRES. It doesn't make the bullying ok or anything but it gives reason to why they act they way the do. How can they show their sadastic side to Yui if they don't bully her? It's like saying how can they show their egoism and arrogance if they do not scorn her. They could have treated her much, much worse.

I know I defended this show at first because of the potential it had but I am also really pissed off by how much it got to waste. I was never a fan of the bloodsucking thing, simply because I dont care about it and I also dont have a thing for dominant bishie males. I was in purely for the gloomy story and I hoped till about the end that the part when it will shine comes. In the end I was heavily dissapointed.

I totally agree with the rest of what you said. I think people havent seen real rape when they say this anime has rape. Ive seen Berserk, Elfen Lied and Hellsing Ultimate, that stuff has real rape and is really brutal. I think its simply because the wrong crowd was atrracted by this anime. Would the cover been bloody and with the guys holding guns and the like, no one would have said anything cause they would have expected this anime to not be a walk in the park.
Dec 31, 2013 10:33 AM

Jul 2013
I don't have any problem with Diabolik lovers. First of all, you people said you hate Diabolik lovers because it's about rape...Okay! I got that. But don't you people watch Rape anime like Hentai anime? So if Hentai is about Fuck and Rape, so what's so wrong about Diabolik lovers?
Jan 5, 2014 2:50 AM

Mar 2013
baki502 said:
I totally agree with the rest of what you said. I think people havent seen real rape when they say this anime has rape. Ive seen Berserk, Elfen Lied and Hellsing Ultimate, that stuff has real rape and is really brutal. I think its simply because the wrong crowd was atrracted by this anime. Would the cover been bloody and with the guys holding guns and the like, no one would have said anything cause they would have expected this anime to not be a walk in the park.

136_bloodygore said:
I don't have any problem with Diabolik lovers. First of all, you people said you hate Diabolik lovers because it's about rape...Okay! I got that. But don't you people watch Rape anime like Hentai anime? So if Hentai is about Fuck and Rape, so what's so wrong about Diabolik lovers?

You're both looking at this the wrong way.
First of all, hentai rape tends to be sex for sex's sake. In the majority of rape stories, it's totally a fetish thing, very unromantic and uninvolved and is merely there to let the watcher jack off.
Secondly, all the series you listed are horror series. Series where you're meant to be uncomfortable. Berserk's last few episodes (spoilers ahead if you haven't seen it/the movie remake) are horrific with enormous amounts of character death and trauma. The rape there is the main antagonist of the entire franchise doing, well, an evil thing. It's obviously something we're meant to despise, like the murder and torture and upset. They are placing rape on the same level as all these other obviously bad things. My knowledge of Hellsing Ultimate and Elfen Lied suggest any rape there would be the exact same thing, even though I haven't seen either of them.

The problem with Diabolik Lovers is they never say this is bad. It's aimed at girls with the intention of making them desire being raped and abused. The main character gets serious Stockholm Syndrome for abusive guys and doesn't leave when given a legitimate chance to escape safely, which in a world where 1 in 3 women will actually suffer domestic abuse at some point in her life is a really awful thing to be telling teenage girls to desire! It can harm their perceptions and make it harder for them to realise when abuse is taking place in real life. Yeah, it's not the only series where rape and abuse is romanticised, but that doesn't mean we should let it pass. Reverse harem is heavily aimed at young girls (and they're the ones that almost exclusively watch it) and that makes it worse than series that aren't, let's be honest. Victim blaming and rape culture doesn't need more help planting itself in all our minds, especially from such a really mediocre and unworthwhile anime.
Jan 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Jan 2013
Diabolik lovers is good anime.
Jan 5, 2014 9:16 PM

Aug 2013
baki502 said:

People just havent been on the internet enough if they get that easily offended by this kind of softcore stuff.

I love you.
Jan 5, 2014 9:29 PM
Jul 2018
As an anime it lacks a good storyline, with most of the episode being Yui bitten with a few flashbacks thrown in, and in the end you don't even find out much. But objectively it was created as a anime for the ones who actually liked the otome game who have probably already seen past the forceful dominance stuff or are in fact into it. So to the targeted audience it should've been okay.
Jan 5, 2014 9:45 PM

Dec 2012
I think people are certainly overreacting to the abuse/borderline rape of the MC, but in no way is anyone exaggerating when they say this series is dreadful. 8-9 episodes wasted on fanservice for masochistic, abuse hungry fan girls, a half assed story line made up at the last moment, it tries to pass off Stockholm Syndrome as serious character development for Yui, and overall you could tell it was made with fanservice in mind, not story or quality.
Jan 6, 2014 9:40 AM

Jul 2013
straggy said:
baki502 said:

136_bloodygore said:

You're both looking at this the wrong way.
First of all, hentai rape tends to be sex for sex's sake. In the majority of rape stories, it's totally a fetish thing, very unromantic and uninvolved and is merely there to let the watcher jack off.
Secondly, all the series you listed are horror series. Series where you're meant to be uncomfortable. Berserk's last few episodes (spoilers ahead if you haven't seen it/the movie remake) are horrific with enormous amounts of character death and trauma. The rape there is the main antagonist of the entire franchise doing, well, an evil thing. It's obviously something we're meant to despise, like the murder and torture and upset. They are placing rape on the same level as all these other obviously bad things. My knowledge of Hellsing Ultimate and Elfen Lied suggest any rape there would be the exact same thing, even though I haven't seen either of them.

The problem with Diabolik Lovers is they never say this is bad. It's aimed at girls with the intention of making them desire being raped and abused. The main character gets serious Stockholm Syndrome for abusive guys and doesn't leave when given a legitimate chance to escape safely, which in a world where 1 in 3 women will actually suffer domestic abuse at some point in her life is a really awful thing to be telling teenage girls to desire! It can harm their perceptions and make it harder for them to realise when abuse is taking place in real life. Yeah, it's not the only series where rape and abuse is romanticised, but that doesn't mean we should let it pass. Reverse harem is heavily aimed at young girls (and they're the ones that almost exclusively watch it) and that makes it worse than series that aren't, let's be honest. Victim blaming and rape culture doesn't need more help planting itself in all our minds, especially from such a really mediocre and unworthwhile anime.

First of all, there is nothing call small rape, big rape, love rape...something like that. Rape is rape, if you don't know what does rape means then check in the Dictionary. I know why you call Diabolik lovers is a rape anime, because the 6 brothers use to suck Yui blood. But that's not rape. If a vampire sucking a human blood it doesn't means that the vampire is raping that particular person. If you have watched Vampire knight then you would see the same thing. Even zero use to do the same thing to Yuuki cross Not all vampire anime are same dude, if you've watched Hellsing there is no sucking blood. By the way, you can't compare anything with Diabolik lovers since DL have a different story. It's shoujo anime by the way which you hate! See dude, all the people have a different taste. Not all the people will like the anime you like, as you have notice DL have got even score 10. And I have read you're review about DL and I have notice that you're actually didn't describe DL. You only wrote that "Diabolik lover is a rape anime, PLEASE don't watch it" That's it. Plus how come Diabolik lover doesn't have Story plot? ALL the anime have Storyplot, and all the people have a different taste. What people like, they would watch it. You like Action and Boobies anime, So why you've tried Diabolik lovers? First you look at the photo, you can see that it's reverse harem anime...then you should check the Genres so that's what is your favorite genres...and the last thing is, you should read the Synopsis. There art is like ALL the shoujo anime. Everything is same as Brother conflict! Plus you are only insult the anime. That's it.
Feb 12, 2014 1:50 AM

Oct 2012
The hate it a bit overexaggerating I guess mainly because the vampires are assholes, well guess what, vampires ARE assholes!

But the thing here is borderline rape is literally done all the time and their past is supposed to justify the male characters' drive, Yui's 'affection' allows the fact to let her stay with a bunch of wifebeating assholes and almost nothing is told.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Feb 12, 2014 8:14 PM

Apr 2013
136_bloodygore said:

First of all, there is nothing call small rape, big rape, love rape...something like that. Rape is rape, if you don't know what does rape means then check in the Dictionary. I know why you call Diabolik lovers is a rape anime, because the 6 brothers use to suck Yui blood. But that's not rape. .

He was talking abut the way the rape is presented. If it's presented by the story as a negative thing, something that is used to explain character personality (as it was used in Elfen Lied and Hellsing Ultimate), then it's not as bad because the shows admit that it's wrong and awful. Now when it's presented in a positive light, like in Diabolik Lovers where the forced bloodsucking scenes are seen as desirable by fans, it is morally incorrect (for most people) and disgusting, which is what a lot of people in this thread are getting at.

The blood sucking is not rape, but it is certainly abusive and borderline rape because the anime presents the blood sucking sexually. I'd say the blood sucking is more sexual harassment.
136_bloodygore said:
Not all vampire anime are same dude, if you've watched Hellsing there is no sucking blood. By the way, you can't compare anything with Diabolik lovers since DL have a different story. It's shoujo anime by the way which you hate! See dude, all the people have a different taste. Not all the people will like the anime you like, as you have notice DL have got even score 10. .

There is blood sucking in Hellsing, I don't know what version you watched, but I can say for a fact that there is. I don't see what the point of bringing up Hellsing is, Hellsing and DL are two completely different anime.

Saying that someone hates DL for being a 'shoujo' is ridiculous and laughable. All of the 'shoujo' manga and anime I've read have been almost the polar opposite of DL. I love shoujo manga and I fucking hate DL. I love lots of shows that bear similarity to DL. I love rape hentai. I love yanderes and bloody and gore. I'm a fan of shoujo art. I like reverse-harems. I even like guro. My taste should allowed me to enjoy DL to the fullest. In fact, I was initially psyched for this show and was really looking forward to it. This leads me to believe that DL is simply a bad show.
Feb 19, 2014 2:55 PM

Jul 2013
Cupquake said:
136_bloodygore said:

The blood sucking is not rape, but it is certainly abusive and borderline rape because the anime presents the blood sucking sexually. I'd say the blood sucking is more sexual harassment.
Not all vampire anime are same dude, if you've watched Hellsing there is no sucking blood. By the way, you can't compare anything with Diabolik lovers since DL have a different story. It's shoujo anime by the way which you hate! See dude, all the people have a different taste. Not all the people will like the anime you like, as you have notice DL have got even score 10. .

There is blood sucking in Hellsing, I don't know what version you watched, but I can say for a fact that there is. I don't see what the point of bringing up Hellsing is, Hellsing and DL are two completely different anime.

Saying that someone hates DL for being a 'shoujo' is ridiculous and laughable. All of the 'shoujo' manga and anime I've read have been almost the polar opposite of DL. I love shoujo manga and I fucking hate DL. I love lots of shows that bear similarity to DL. I love rape hentai. I love yanderes and bloody and gore. I'm a fan of shoujo art. I like reverse-harems. I even like guro. My taste should allowed me to enjoy DL to the fullest. In fact, I was initially psyched for this show and was really looking forward to it. This leads me to believe that DL is simply a bad show.

I didn't mean that Hellsing has no sucking blood, I Apologize about it. I was talking about something else. This is not my problem if you don't understand. I was SAYING people scoring it so low because of the Guys. PLUS, I meant that Diabolik lovers is Shoujo and Hellsing is Seinen AND WE CAN'T COMPARE BOTH THE ANIME BECAUSE THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. No need for otome game to explain everything in anime cuz DL is a game. YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ANIME? THEN FUCKING PLAY IT I got everything about DL. It's awesome anime. If you didn't like it then why did you watch it? Even if the anime id bad, you can't complain because if it was really bad, then they would've accept it.
Feb 19, 2014 6:57 PM

Apr 2013
136_bloodygore said:

I didn't mean that Hellsing has no sucking blood, I Apologize about it. I was talking about something else. This is not my problem if you don't understand.

No, it is your fault for having piss poor grammar.

136_bloodygore said:

I I was SAYING people scoring it so low because of the Guys. PLUS, I meant that Diabolik lovers is Shoujo and Hellsing is Seinen AND WE CAN'T COMPARE BOTH THE ANIME BECAUSE THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

You can compare any two series by the same criteria. Just because one show is a 'shoujo' doesn't give it an excuse to have shitty plot and characters.

136_bloodygore said:
No need for otome game to explain everything in anime cuz DL is a game. YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ANIME? THEN FUCKING PLAY IT I got everything about DL. It's awesome anime.

You're right, you shouldn't have to play the otome game. The anime should be a standalone that gives the viewer enough plot and characters for them to enjoy it.

But DL fails in this aspect. Not only does it go almost nowhere, the plot is explained in an awful manner. DL fails at being a standalone adaptation.

Just look at Clannad and Kanon. They too were adapted from visual novels, but I don't see anyone getting angry because not enough plot was explained. This is because Clannad and Kanon managed to do what DL couldn't: have a good story.

136_bloodygore said:
If you didn't like it then why did you watch it? Even if the anime id bad, you can't complain because if it was really bad, then they would've accept it.

I watched it because I thought I would like it. I kept watching it because I don't like to drop series, especially when they're not that long.

Did you just realize what you wrote? "even if an anime is bad, you can't complain that it's bad." I'm sorry, but what? If an anime is bad then you have EVERY right to complain that it is bad.

In fact, it's pretty much accepted that DL is a bad anime. It's a fan service show with shallow plot and characters. Look at the mal score. I want to pull up the sales, but unfortunately I can't find them.
Feb 20, 2014 12:28 AM
Jan 2013
cupquake said:

136_bloodygore said:
If you didn't like it then why did you watch it? Even if the anime id bad, you can't complain because if it was really bad, then they would've accept it.

I watched it because I thought I would like it. I kept watching it because I don't like to drop series, especially when they're not that long.

Did you just realize what you wrote? "even if an anime is bad, you can't complain that it's bad." I'm sorry, but what? If an anime is bad then you have EVERY right to complain that it is bad.

In fact, it's pretty much accepted that DL is a bad anime. It's a fan service show with shallow plot and characters. Look at the mal score. I want to pull up the sales, but unfortunately I can't find them.

Oh wait, what did you just say? I mean the last words! This one "It's a fan service show with shallow plot and character. LOOK AT THE MAL SCORE! If you're saying that Diabolik lovers is a failure anime only because people are scoring it 4 and less, that means School days is the First failure anime in MAL!! If you have notice, you didn't see how people are scoring the anime?? They are scoring it LESS than 4!! Which means Horrible and Appalling! :3
I'm a Big fan of Diabolik lovers.
Feb 20, 2014 6:47 AM

Apr 2013
Frost_Kiss said:
cupquake said:

136_bloodygore said:

Oh wait, what did you just say? I mean the last words! This one "It's a fan service show with shallow plot and character. LOOK AT THE MAL SCORE! If you're saying that Diabolik lovers is a failure anime only because people are scoring it 4 and less, that means School days is the First failure anime in MAL!! If you have notice, you didn't see how people are scoring the anime?? They are scoring it LESS than 4!! Which means Horrible and Appalling! :3

I was responding to bloody gores comment that if it was really bad they would have accepted it, a assertion that is not true. To give him proof of acceptance, I indicated the mal score. I never said it was a failure anime only because it has a shit mal score, but because of the 2,000 other reasons I listed in previous posts.

Btw school days still has a higher score than DL. I'm a big hater of diabolik lovers :3
Feb 21, 2014 9:42 AM
Jan 2013
Cupquake said:
Frost_Kiss said:
cupquake said:

136_bloodygore said:

I was responding to bloody gores comment that if it was really bad they would have accepted it, a assertion that is not true. To give him proof of acceptance, I indicated the mal score. I never said it was a failure anime only because it has a shit mal score, but because of the 2,000 other reasons I listed in previous posts.

Btw school days still has a higher score than DL. I'm a big hater of diabolik lovers :3

So it's draw then! I'm a big hater of School days. But I didn't say any bad thing about school day because I respect the fan. So can you please respect us? :D I would be happy ^w^
Mar 12, 2014 4:06 PM

Apr 2013
monster_killer said:
This anime is perfect.

No.
Mar 13, 2014 6:19 AM
Jan 2013
Cupquake said:
monster_killer said:
This anime is perfect.

No.

What no?
She like the anime. Yes, she is right. The anime is perfect.
Plus the game got 3rd season if you want to see how failure they are.
Idea factory is getting much money from Diabolik lovers.
All the people have different taste xP
You hate DIABOLIK lovers, we love it. And I dont know what will happen to you when you know that there will be a second season!!
Mar 13, 2014 3:47 PM

Aug 2013
I too looked at the reviews before watching diabolic lovers and i have to say yes the anime had flaws like the storyline felt like it was being rushed but i have to say the ending few episodes pretty much tried to make up for the lack of information about why she was there i think that they did this to make way for another episode i have heard about a ep 13
overall opinion:it was good and the reviews was in my opinion overexadurated
score:8
Mar 20, 2014 5:07 AM
Feb 2014
For me, the anime was Decent.
Mar 27, 2014 4:26 PM

Apr 2013
Frost_Kiss said:
Cupquake said:
monster_killer said:
This anime is perfect.

No.

What no?
She like the anime. Yes, she is right. The anime is perfect.
Plus the game got 3rd season if you want to see how failure they are.
Idea factory is getting much money from Diabolik lovers.
All the people have different taste xP
You hate DIABOLIK lovers, we love it. And I dont know what will happen to you when you know that there will be a second season!!

I'm not saying the game is bad. I'm saying that the anime is shit. Idea factory is so good at making shitty anime(Mars of destruction, etc.) sales does not mean a show is good. I'm sure that the game is fun, but this adaptation was unbelievably poor.

Btw you'll notice that basically only females like this show. It's completely targeted towards women, which isn't a bad thing and makes sense, but that just makes it an awful watch for guys. And no, if you know one or two guys who like this anime it doesn't disputed my point, the vast majority of DL fans are female.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Diabolik Lovers Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Sep 16, 2013

231 by MickeyMinaj »»
May 17, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Diabolik Lovers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2013

129 by Ilookgood »»
Apr 21, 6:37 AM

Poll: » Diabolik Lovers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2013

191 by oniichantaihei »»
Dec 19, 2023 10:37 AM

Poll: » Diabolik Lovers Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Dec 9, 2013

162 by Starlight2003 »»
Dec 1, 2023 2:46 PM

» Plot?

sharkbay - Jul 19, 2021

10 by Utahime__ »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.