Forum Settings
Forums

Manga Sales In North America Continue To Decline

New
Apr 17, 2010 2:30 AM

Feb 2008
ICv2 released the annual report on the manga market in North America. The yearly sales of Japanese manga in 2009 was $140 million, 80% of the previous year. The manga market has shrunk into two-thirds of its peak since 2007. In contrast, the sales of the non-manga graphic novels has made 40% increase in two years.

Chart of the manga market in North America (Total Graphic Novels = Manga + "US Cartoon")

ICv2 gave three possible reasons for the decline:
1. Female readers who established the shojo manga boom have grown out of the manga habit.
2. Effect of the illegal scanlations
3. Keeping on purchasing long series has become a burden for the fans.

Sources: ICv2, Anime!Anime!
myanimelistllcAug 31, 2016 5:23 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 17, 2010 2:31 AM

Mar 2009
Well, with the economic downturn, it's not surprising.
Apr 17, 2010 2:36 AM

Apr 2008
With the cost of Manga in NA, not surprising.
Apr 17, 2010 2:37 AM

Oct 2007
Yeah, even though I buy as much as I could, I'm limited on money.

#2 is the sole reason
Apr 17, 2010 2:54 AM
Dec 2008
Purchasing a long series troubles me.
Apr 17, 2010 2:57 AM

Mar 2009
BlackWings said:
Yeah, even though I buy as much as I could, I'm limited on money.

#2 is the sole reason

im the same & i agree.
Apr 17, 2010 3:09 AM

Sep 2007
Not to mention the masses of people who just read the manga in the store.
Apr 17, 2010 3:21 AM

Oct 2008
I think what could be pointed out also is that according to the article itself and the article on Anime News Network is that another possibility for decrease of sales is due to lack of TV exposure of the anime adaptation of certain manga titles in America. I believe the article made an example about how titles like Rosario+Vampire don't make as much sales as compared to Naruto, Bleach, and Death Note since all three of them have/had the anime adaptations air on Adult Swim, Cartoon Network or Disney XD. Though personally after seeing the Rosario+Vampire anime myself, I can see why it hasn't even been licensed yet, let alone aired on Television in the states.

Another thing the article pointed out is that due to scanlations with manga and commiting an indefinite amount of time and money to long-running titles, there is a lack of "collector mentality" compared to American Comic book fans. In my personal opinion, American comic book fans don't neccesarily have to worry about an issue of say a Marvel title being released in another country first before they can read and buy it as oppose to manga titles. Not only that but maybe I'm off on this, but I think American comic book publishers are more secured with their products and can thus prevent scanlations. Although I do like where Viz Media's Shonen Sunday section is going by simulcasting the latest Rin-ne chapters online. I don't think I have yet to see any website upload scanlations of that manga ever since Viz started that simulcast.
HypeathonApr 17, 2010 3:29 AM
Apr 17, 2010 4:02 AM

Jun 2009
Either people read in libraries or read it in stores if they want to read the hard copy version. With each manga costing around 10-15 USD I'm hardly surprised with the downturn of events. Even Japan and Taiwan sells english versions abit less than half the price and they still have a downturn as well.

"Keeping on purchasing long series has become a burden for the fans." No surprise when they keep having the price so high.

Well~ The scanlations aren't bad and they are free to read [but illegal] plus they are mostly updates to the lastest chapters so when anyone makes a decision, the majority would choose scanlations. Scanlations are just more tempting for people.
Apr 17, 2010 4:06 AM

Nov 2007
ahhhh id like to point out another reason

most people i know dont read manga simply because there arrogant and ignorant to the fact that manga is far far superior to the anime adaptions its a sad thing because people ask me if theres any more eps of things like berserk and i point them to the manga and i get told to fuck off "im not reading that shit the anime was better" that makes me wanna punch them in the face

>.> seriously pointing out illegal scans isnt really a problem cause where i live there isnt realy much manga licensed and if it is its generic >.>
Corpse69Apr 17, 2010 4:10 AM

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Apr 17, 2010 4:26 AM

Feb 2010
who needs to buy manga in america if there are free on the net...

#2...
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Apr 17, 2010 4:30 AM

Oct 2008
Tsurugikarasu said:
Either people read in libraries or read it in stores if they want to read the hard copy version. With each manga costing around 10-15 USD I'm hardly surprised with the downturn of events. Even Japan and Taiwan sells english versions abit less than half the price and they still have a downturn as well.

"Keeping on purchasing long series has become a burden for the fans." No surprise when they keep having the price so high.

Well~ The scanlations aren't bad and they are free to read [but illegal] plus they are mostly updates to the lastest chapters so when anyone makes a decision, the majority would choose scanlations. Scanlations are just more tempting for people.

If you check other anime forums and touched on whether you prefer print or scanlations, you would be suprised by the amount of people that beg to differ. Not that I'm saying you are completely wrong, but I'm also saying that many would not find that as tempting as you think.

Though talking about expenses with manga, Kouji Taguchi from Square Enix mentioned in an article about the several factors in Square Enix never lost a yen in the past 8 years, and he mentioned some of three possible reasons why manga overseas doesn't seem to be as proffitable.

ANN said:
Taguchi noted that Japan Expo in Paris and Comic-Con International in San Diego each attracted over 100,000 people every July. However, he also said that he thinks that comics as a business is not faring well overseas. After Fullmetal Alchemist aired, Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto were among the top-selling comics in America. However, their American sales were about 1/20th to 1/10th the size of their Japanese sales.

Taguchi explained that the first reason for this difference is the higher price of overseas manga due to smaller print runs. His second reason is the relative lower amounts of cash that children have. The third reason is geographics — Taguchi said that a typical Tokyo resident can reach about three bookstores by bicycle, but children overseas have to go to a shopping mall on weekends with their parents. As a result, TV anime is extremely popular among many people, but not as many actually buy manga.
HypeathonApr 17, 2010 1:13 PM
Apr 17, 2010 5:12 AM

Feb 2009
The cost is pretty high, for example keeping up with a series like Bleach outside of Japan e.g in America or Europe is quite costly. Plus we don't have the kind of Shounen Jump! format provided outside of Japan, and that contributes to decreasing the expense. I think more people would buy the weekly ones like Shounen Jump with all the manga inside they want to read, rather than having to buy volumes. Plus you get more than one manga. Im nt sure whether Shounen Jump! is offered in Europe, vaguely know about America, just making a generalised assumption.
Apr 17, 2010 5:30 AM
Mar 2010
It is difficult to make people pay for something that they can easily find for free. Only true collectors are willing to invest serious amounts of time and money. To be a true collector you have to have lots of money to burn and most Anime fans I know are broke.
Apr 17, 2010 5:48 AM

Oct 2008
Sami092 said:
The cost is pretty high, for example keeping up with a series like Bleach outside of Japan e.g in America or Europe is quite costly. Plus we don't have the kind of Shounen Jump! format provided outside of Japan, and that contributes to decreasing the expense. I think more people would buy the weekly ones like Shounen Jump with all the manga inside they want to read, rather than having to buy volumes. Plus you get more than one manga. Im nt sure whether Shounen Jump! is offered in Europe, vaguely know about America, just making a generalised assumption.

Well there are a couple of monthly magazines that are anthologies of manga. Viz Media still has Shonen Jump where they put out the latest chapters of Bleach (Hueco Mundo arc), Naruto (Kage Summit arc), One Piece (Impel Down), Yugioh GX I think is still there, then there's Letter Bee, Toriko, Ultimo, and previews of different manga shown each month. Like in March, 2010 there was Rosario+Vampire Season 2, and in April was Bakuman in think (or was it this month). There is also Yen Press's monthly Anthology Yen Plus, which fetures Soul Eater, Black Butler, Hero Tales and more.

Though now that you mention it, I never really heard of such manga anthology magazines in Europe.
Apr 17, 2010 6:11 AM

Mar 2008
infinite_zero said:

That, and I only buy raws, which aren't as readily available. I'd bring them over myself or ask whichever one of my friends is visiting to shop for me. We take turns to shop for each other.
Apr 17, 2010 6:41 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
ShootTheBullet said:
infinite_zero said:

That, and I only buy raws, which aren't as readily available. I'd bring them over myself or ask whichever one of my friends is visiting to shop for me. We take turns to shop for each other.

If I buy manga, it has to be the original. Translated version is a no-no for me.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 17, 2010 6:50 AM

Oct 2007
I hate how series from Shonen Jump jumped from like $8 right up to $10.

I mean I still buy the volumes it's just a real pain when I see an upped price in series like Gintama, and HxH especially when I remember it being that low originally.
Apr 17, 2010 6:52 AM

Oct 2007
Hypeathon said:
Sami092 said:

Well there are a couple of monthly magazines that are anthologies of manga. Viz Media still has Shonen Jump where they put out the latest chapters of Bleach (Hueco Mundo arc), Naruto (Kage Summit arc), One Piece (Impel Down), Yugioh GX I think is still there, then there's Letter Bee, Toriko, Ultimo, and previews of different manga shown each month. Like in March, 2010 there was Rosario+Vampire Season 2, and in April was Bakuman in think (or was it this month). There is also Yen Press's monthly Anthology Yen Plus, which fetures Soul Eater, Black Butler, Hero Tales and more.

I'm pretty sure GX got taken off. I think all that's left now are Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Ultimo, and a preview chapter for a new series(Last one I remember being Bakuman).
Apr 17, 2010 7:23 AM

Jul 2009
though thats not suprising giving the fact of cost of manga...but scanelations are the more effective way to distribute manga online and long series are a pain...examples...naruto bleach negima....if the cost of manga will come down...then i dont see why the manga department shouldnt pick back up again
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2010 7:29 AM

Mar 2009
I agree about the prices! I live in the UK so all this doesn't actually apply to me but the prices over here are still really high, for example, Kuroshitsuji [Black Butler] costs £7 [13 USD] for the first volume and as a college student, I can't really afford to buy a lot of manga at prices like that. So I either wait for price drops or read it online, unless I really love the manga/anime like One Piece. :)

Also the UK only has the anime magazine 'Neo' as far as I know and they're mostly reviews of anime, manga and Asian movies so we don't really get manga previews. And I've tried to import Shonen Jump from various websites but they won't allow it. D:

{{ TCO }} {{ ACP }} {{ TSC }} {{ LAC }}
Apr 17, 2010 8:34 AM

Mar 2008
One volume of Reborn!:

400yen = $4.33957 USD (Japanese)
$30 HKD = $3.86524 USD (Traditional Chinese, Hong Kong version)

$9.99 USD (English)

One counterfeit copy of Reborn!:

< $5 CNY = $0.732440 USD

Reading it at the store, library, or on the Internet:

FREE (transportation costs not included)
Apr 17, 2010 8:56 AM
Feb 2010
in Brazil 1 volume costs something like 6 USD
but a great number comes each 2 months
Apr 17, 2010 9:10 AM

May 2008
Well, i got a solution... don't raise the fucking price of mangas!!!

this was mainly directed to Viz....

Join my club: The Walking Dead
Apr 17, 2010 9:18 AM
Sep 2009
nigga stole da money
Apr 17, 2010 9:31 AM

Jun 2009
Cashdaxxx said:
who needs to buy manga in america if there are free on the net...

#2...

=======================================================
Sign here; (Your Soul)
Apr 17, 2010 9:32 AM

Jun 2009
ShootTheBullet said:
One volume of Reborn!:

$9.99 USD (English)

< $5 CNY = $0.732440 USD

=======================================================
Sign here; (Your Soul)
Apr 17, 2010 9:38 AM

Jul 2008
Well, manga isn't really expensive, but having it available online for free might contribute to a very small decline in sales. I for one support manga that I really enjoy.

The problem I see is that most of the manga I'm interested in with a US release tends to get dropped with only a couple of volumes released (i.e. Unbalance x Unbalance) and get left in limbo with no plans for a future release.
Apr 17, 2010 9:50 AM
Oct 2009
gomu_ninguen said:

except they raised their prices AFTER everyone else

while I do agree that some fat losers who could buy manga just download it because they are fat losers that need to buy 10X as much food as normal people, it's mostly the economy hurting manga sales.

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
Apr 17, 2010 10:21 AM

Dec 2009
gonna have to agree with people saying it is way over priced in north america and europe. thats one of the reasons i dont buy manga that much because its just so damn expensive. i tend to only buy series i really like.

also, i think the scans on the internet is another big reason. considering you can read almost any series you want on the internet for free these days, theres no reason to buy the volumes any more.
Apr 17, 2010 10:27 AM

Sep 2008
I was wondering why there are less weaboo faggots sitting in front of manga selves as borders giggling away while claiming Bishis
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Apr 17, 2010 11:04 AM

Nov 2007
I love buying manga, It's great to have the hard copy and actually read it that way.

With that said, with the current state of the economy I can no longer pay $8+ for one volume. This price point has to change with the times, or they can expect the sales to continue to decline. I know online reading does effect it, but from personal experience and talking to others, it's mainly the fact that it's too damn expensive.
Apr 17, 2010 11:10 AM

Sep 2009
Well, when American companies can't even match the Japanese prices (or come with in 50%) then of course it's going to fail.
Apr 17, 2010 11:16 AM

Feb 2008
what? they didnt list mangacows as one of the possible reasons?
Apr 17, 2010 11:18 AM

Jul 2008
Pit simply usa us getting poorer, and i love it
Apr 17, 2010 11:20 AM

May 2008
kkslider5552000 said:
gomu_ninguen said:

except they raised their prices AFTER everyone else

while I do agree that some fat losers who could buy manga just download it because they are fat losers that need to buy 10X as much food as normal people, it's mostly the economy hurting manga sales.

yeah, but I mainly buy things from Viz, 80% of the things i have are from them...

Join my club: The Walking Dead
Apr 17, 2010 11:30 AM

May 2008
I spend $50 dollars every month or every other month on Manga. If it's declining then it sure as hell isn't my fault. I'm sure it's due to sites like mangafox and the bad economy that this is happening, along with any price increase to make some decide to not buy. Ain't stopping me from buying, I'll just keep on adding more to my bookshelf.
Apr 17, 2010 12:32 PM

Dec 2007
dtshyk said:
ICv2 released the annual report on the manga market in North America. The yearly sales of Japanese manga in 2009 was $140 million, 80% of the previous year. The manga market has shrunk into two-thirds of its peak since 2007. In contrast, the sales of the non-manga graphic novels has made 40% increase in two years.

Chart of the manga market in North America (Total Graphic Novels = Manga + "US Cartoon")

ICv2 gave three possible reasons for the decline:
1. Female readers who established the shojo manga boom have grown out of the manga habit.
2. Effect of the illegal scanlations
3. Keeping on purchasing long series has become a burden for the fans.

Sources: ICv2, Anime!Anime!

Why are recession and economic downturn never listed as reasons for sales of stuff falling in the last couple of years? People don't necessarily have as much to spend. Add that to the rising prices and less manga will get bought :|
(That said, it doesn't seem to have had that much luck cutting down my spending ¬_¬)

I can give an addendum to 1 and 3 though.
1. Female readers who established the shojo manga boom have grown out of the manga habit because the manga being licensed hasn't grown up with them, and the publishers aren't trying to keep ahold of them.
Shoujo manga continues to be licensed, but it is aimed at the people who are young(er) girls now, not the people who were young girls then. Maybe if more series aimed at older readers were licensed and marketed, they'd keep ahold of the readers.

3. Keeping on purchasing long series has become a burden for the fans because fans can't trust publishers with longer series (and/or the series starts to cost far too much to follow, or the size of the series actually puts people off starting it... but those aren't the routes I want to take with this :P)
Long running series sometimes get dropped, or their licenses get revoked, or they get put on "indefinite hold". Long running series can find their releases spaced out between oblivion and back again which can make it incredibly hard to keep track of them... and sometimes once that happens people just don't bother anymore. Series can sometimes just drop off the face of the earth.
That, and long running series don't necessarily hold interest across a large number of volumes.

(I will admit Viz are partially exempt from the "can't be trusted with longer series" thing, as they have and are showing that they're dedicated to actually releasing them. They're one of the few companies I actually trust completely to release longer series to completion. They can have issues with the release dates going on hold though).
EphidelApr 17, 2010 12:42 PM
Apr 17, 2010 12:41 PM

Aug 2009
I think it's because of the prices... $10 a volume is just insane, especially whenever the series you want to read is a long one. I tend to buy online or from Half-Price Books for that very reason.
Apr 17, 2010 12:43 PM

Feb 2008
How about dropping the prices instead of raising them like it happened recently? That is the sole problem, paying 13 bucks every month for a manga like what happens with the Dark Horses titles does feel like a bit of a robery considering how cheap manga is in other countrys.
Every time you make a typo, somebody in Zeta gets slapped.
Apr 17, 2010 12:45 PM

Apr 2008
ShootTheBullet said:
One volume of Reborn!:

$9.99 USD (English)

< $5 CNY = $0.732440 USD

Heck, LIGHT NOVELS in Taiwan/Japan are cheaper than manga in the US. Even worse here in NZ, as its at least $18US ($24NZ) a volume.

I just rely on people going back to Taiwan for my manga/light novels. Or order newer ones (such as Amanchu) when we do group amazon orders. I'd kill for a Kinokuniya here.
Apr 17, 2010 12:46 PM

Jun 2009
I blame the manga cows.
Apr 17, 2010 12:47 PM
Dec 2008
Nice job Naruto/Bleach/One Piece haters, continue talking crap about those three mangas while you just read mangas online for free. That's the main reason few of my friends stopped buying them
Apr 17, 2010 12:48 PM

Jun 2009
Animefan009 said:
Nice job Naruto/Bleach/One Piece haters, continue talking crap about those three mangas while you just read mangas online for free. That's the main reason few of my friends stopped buying them

Nice account aniki.
Apr 17, 2010 12:56 PM

Oct 2007
i personally by a lot of manga, except i never buy english manga. always japanese, even a new volume not used is at most $8.40 still cheaper than an english version. :\
Apr 17, 2010 1:04 PM

Aug 2008
I cringe at the idea of paying $10 or more for a single volume of manga, unless it's super rare, oop, or a big, high quality book like the Manga Erotics F releases. and I can't even calculate how many thousands of dollars I've spent over the last 13 years. Perhaps they should look at that price point.

The scanlators are not entirely innocent. I can't tell you how many times someone has PM'd me saying "ZOMG I"M DEING TO READ MANGA X, WHERE DID U READ IT?!?" and when I tell them I actually bought the book, they deflate at the idea of actually paying for something (even if released in English). Some of these leeches would never buy stuff anyway, but there is some loss there.
Apr 17, 2010 1:04 PM
Dec 2008
katsup said:
i personally by a lot of manga, except i never buy english manga. always japanese, even a new volume not used is at most $8.40 still cheaper than an english version. :

Same, I just buy the Japanese versions now.
Apr 17, 2010 1:37 PM

Jul 2008
Meh, I own like 11 volumes of One Piece, 4 Mahou Sensei Negima, 3 Claymore, 1 bleach and 1 death note.

The only problem I have is the lack of money :X If I had money I'd go out and buy a few from time to time

Apr 17, 2010 1:46 PM

Mar 2007
Actually, this is hilarious. I just went to the bookstore today.

Do you know what I saw on the manga shelves?

A full row of Naruto. 3/4 of a row of Negima. Another full row of One Piece. And so on.

Did I see a SINGLE manga I wanted to buy? No.

It's just as much the store's fault as "illegal scanlation." Fuck that scapegoat shit.
~Shade and sweet water~
Group Lead of Otenba -- Quality Check Lead of Static-Subs
Apr 17, 2010 2:08 PM
May 2008
I got even more reasons as to why it's sales declined dtshyk

-Bad econemy (especially since half of manga readers are either teens or collecge students without jobs)

-Graphic Novel uproar (Blame this all in the overatted vampire phenomeon novels/series. Crazy fans have been moving to either Twilight,Vampire Diaries or Harry. (It iritaites me)

-More anime watchers then readers (I've bumped into some lazy fans one time too many that say they hate reading and prefer watching. Mistaking that mangas are boring or the same thing, meanwhile there are also other fans have simply never tried it or been exposed to it)

-Not enough promotion (Some people don't even know what manga is, unless they enter a book/comic book shop.)

-Illegal Scanlators (Although I do read them, but only when the series itself never gets liscensed. There are plenty of people that continue scanning the series even when liscensed)

-Borrow (Either people borrow them from a friend, or a library. Many people even read them straight off the shelf in stores to not buy them -_-

I hope this newsflash doesn't mean they'll release less manga in the future -_-
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Ninja Batman tai Yakuza League' Sequel Anime Movie Announced

Hyperion_PS - May 30

4 by Haneken2086 »»
9 hours ago

» Voice Actor Takeo Ootsuka Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - May 31

11 by Memore »»
11 hours ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Unveils Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - May 28

3 by DafuqBOOM »»
Yesterday, 7:04 AM

» Visual Novel '9' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 29

16 by nachomaxo1 »»
Yesterday, 4:11 AM

» 'Natsume Yuujinchou' TV Anime Gets Seventh Season ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Jun 30, 2023

50 by Royal_Devils1 »»
May 31, 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.