Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 27, 2010 11:08 PM
Feb 2009
kinda sl0w ep to me
Feb 27, 2010 11:40 PM

Aug 2006
Several things to say about this episode, going in order of occurence.

1. It was interesting to see Celty have a nightmare. It was just really strange to me, and awesome at the same time. You'd think I'd be used to this kind of thing after seven episodes.
2. MAID CAFE. Nuff said. *Shot*
3. Erika popped on the screen and I was like "OMG HI ERIKA" and waved to her. *HeadxDesk* Might as well put here that er dancing with Walker at the end made me happy to the point that I actually smiled.
4. The idea of her cooking was amazing and unexpected - and it made me go "HELL YEAH" and lean in to watch (especially to see her zooming down the street with a bag with onions in it). But I was really confused as to if Celty really did screw up the food she made or not. It looked fine to me! I'd eat it! Also the black ball was surprising, although not unexpected. Along with that shadow knife of awesomeness she pulled out earlier, fufu~
5. I don't understand why people would pick on Anri. I'd like background on this. And Mikado is such a good boy~ ^3^
6. The whole thing with the woman (I have this odd feeling she's a foreigner *coughamericancough* and that makes me feel bad =3=) with the notepad and sign made me really happy, because...well, I'm not really sure. It was just one of those motif-like things that makes a person like me happy. And I lol'd at "head". But i winder what Mikado means by "connections"?
7. The fortune cookies was pretty adorable too. And, of course, planned. It's one of those things where I feel like it shouldn't have been so right like that because things like that don't happen that often but I know it can't be helped because it's an anime. Am I making any sense here?
8. HOLY CRAP CELTY'S HEAD ASDFGHJKL. I was mostly surprised because my friend and I were talking on the phone after we both watched the first episode and I was like "You know that chick with the scar on her neck?", after which he said yes, and I told him this exact scenario. We spazzed over the idea for awhile. Can't wait to talk to him now. ;D

Whew, rant...Obviously I really enjoyed this episode.
Feb 28, 2010 12:58 AM

Jan 2009
woah i guess that girl could of been celty's head because of the scar around her neck.
OMGOSH i was right XD
Feb 28, 2010 1:22 AM

Sep 2008
AidanAK47 said:
kaydee said:

Where did I say I was watching the show for Izaya and nobody else?

You just said this episode was terrible and the only reason you gave was because Izaya was not in it. So that's what gave me that impression.

Also this show is based on a Light novel, not a manga.

Looooooooool, damn kaydee you got TOLD.
Feb 28, 2010 2:39 AM

May 2007
So if Celty's head is on this girl's body.

That means that the other head in the jar, must belong to this girl.

Feb 28, 2010 3:28 AM

Oct 2007
I actually love how people over-praised the show when they actually don't even understand the episodes they are watching.

And the show itself can only be described as Discovery Channel, rather than develop the characters/plot in a proper way they let you discovery it by yourself which is making the show feel so boring half of the time.

As for episode, if Shinra is working for that company and that company is also the one responsible for Selty's head. Wouldn't that explain Shinra at least know something about Selty's head? Which is also explain why he want her to forget about her head?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Feb 28, 2010 3:56 AM

Jul 2009
Siva said:
I actually love how people over-praised the show when they actually don't even understand the episodes they are watching.

And the show itself can only be described as Discovery Channel, rather than develop the characters/plot in a proper way they let you discovery it by yourself which is making the show feel so boring half of the time.

As for episode, if Shinra is working for that company and that company is also the one responsible for Selty's head. Wouldn't that explain Shinra at least know something about Selty's head? Which is also explain why he want her to forget about her head?

Shinra is a freelance,he's not working for them instead they approach him to do the job because he is a black market doctor.
As for the Celty head,it's possible he knew something about that but have no guts to tell her because he afraid she would leave him if she knew where to find her head.
This episode is much a build up for future event. The interesting thing in Durarara are the interconnecting relationships and the dynamics between the characters. The viewers become emotionally attached to the characters, and want to see what happens to them next, and what their future holds in this mysterious city where it feels anything can happen. The suspense and attachment is what keeps people wondered what will happen next.
Feb 28, 2010 4:19 AM

Jan 2010
TAB said:

Never thought that far ahead, but you must be right.
Feb 28, 2010 4:37 AM
Jul 2018
Does it mean Mika has Celty's head?
Feb 28, 2010 6:15 AM

Oct 2007
Kagura89 said:
The interesting thing in Durarara are the interconnecting relationships.
That is the only thing I could agree with.

Kagura89 said:
...the dynamics between the characters. The viewers become emotionally attached to the characters
I would say the characters themselves don't give a damn about what the viewers thought.

Kagura89 said:
...what their future holds in this mysterious city where it feels anything can happen. The suspense and attachment is what keeps people wondered what will happen next.
I thought they just want to live a normal life which is not the case here and rather than saying wonder what will happen next I would say when are they going to show us something interesting. As of 8 episodes so far I still haven't learn anything about the characters and the purpose for each and every character yet.

Feb 28, 2010 7:48 AM

Oct 2009
TAB said:

If it means that does it imply that it's to be used for another experiment or to trick Selty who is looking for her head?

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Feb 28, 2010 8:53 AM

Oct 2007
Watched the sub yesterday night.....

@ MAL Claim an Anime Character v.2
Feb 28, 2010 9:56 AM
Dec 2007
This episode had an exquisite direction as well as genuinely great character and script developments. One of the best of the series, with a fantastic twist on top of that. The next one seems cool too.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Feb 28, 2010 10:00 AM

May 2007
francismeunier said:
TAB said:

If it means that does it imply that it's to be used for another experiment or to trick Selty who is looking for her head?

Its kinda too early to say.
My guess would be that some scientists found Selty's head.
And they attached it to a body for some unknown reason.
TABFeb 28, 2010 10:07 AM

Feb 28, 2010 11:38 AM

Jul 2008
great episode
seems like quite a bit is now revealed XD
wonder wut will not happen XD
Feb 28, 2010 12:33 PM

Sep 2007
Ahhh like I expected, the scar girl is really Celty's head.
Feb 28, 2010 12:52 PM

Sep 2009
I think the scar girl Celty connection was a given. Ahh... Good episode. Mainly because Shinra makes me laugh.

And so do Erika and Walker. :D Cute dance.
Feb 28, 2010 1:10 PM
Jun 2009
i love this series...
Feb 28, 2010 1:47 PM

Apr 2009
Zekses said:
moreover who was that guy in Selty's past=>

Alexander Anderson ofc XD

LOL xD

"The look on your face is unhappy." ... :'D
ShinraxCelty FTW. Seriously.
The head is revealed! Not very surprised about where it is (probably just like everyone here), but the fact that Seiji called that girl 'Celty'? o.O Wth?
Also, Anri just shrugging off Mikado's efforts probably didn't win her any fans xP
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Feb 28, 2010 1:52 PM

Aug 2008
I loved this episode. I think it's interesting to note the people who hated this episode, the people who hated last week's episode, the people who don't like the show, and the people that do like the show. I think it really speaks to everyone's taste in anime in general, and what types of storytelling/direction sit well with them. Episodes like this (as opposed to the previous) are right up my alley).

Siva said:
I would say the characters themselves don't give a damn about what the viewers thought.

I thought they just want to live a normal life which is not the case here and rather than saying wonder what will happen next I would say when are they going to show us something interesting. As of 8 episodes so far I still haven't learn anything about the characters and the purpose for each and every character yet.

To me, Durarara! is about coming to understand the connectedness in all of the characters. Because that is point, there is no main plot except for getting to know the characters themselves. And since that's the case, Drrr! becomes a piece about characters and their relationships. With the first episode, we're introduced to a city run with gang violence, yet not too dangerous, through the eyes of little countryboy, Mikado. Using his character, the viewer is allowed to experience the idea of being in this big, dark city, which makes the idea of Shizuo and Selty that much more off putting.

Each time we change perspective we get a larger idea of Ikebukero. Through Kida and Dota, we learn about the dollars and color gangs; with Shinra we learn about Selty as well as the company he works for; in Selty's stories we get the main theme of feeling a strange sense of connection in a city too big to be totally aware of.

To me, the show has been very specific in addressing what the show is about. It's not about the plot. It's about character relationships. The plot only serves to give us an understanding of where everyone stands with one another. Maybe at it's worst points it gives us episodes like last week (which was too thin to stand on its own), but at it's best, it's given us the Kida episode and Selty's episodes, which--while giving us an understanding of the character's motivations--manages to make the audience crave knowledge he/she isn't aware of in an entertaining (instead of annoying) fashion.
Feb 28, 2010 2:15 PM

Oct 2007
Well like I said the tittle Discovery Channel is the best way to put it. Since the beginning of the series I am already sure what is the show about. I even go as far as to say it has concept and potential. But in the last couple or so episodes I was so bored by it and only to come to the forum to see "I don't really understand the episode but this episode is awesome" and I was like WTF. I mean I am not saying those episode were bad and I even understand what was going on and what were they about. And it seems like some people just over-praised a show while they don't even understand the show and a show became over-rated or under-rated for unknown reason.

As for the series, I will keep my statement about the show has concept and potential but at the same time I will also say it is still boring me at some point.

Feb 28, 2010 2:28 PM
Dec 2008
another great episode

so selty's head is with yagiri's gf.
but how did that head get on that girl's body??

hmmm..
could yagiri's sister cut off a head on some random girl and
attached selty's head on it???

yagiri said he loved selty, which means he doesnt love the girl whose body had selty's head.

hmmm so many possible theories...
i guess we just have to wait for future episodes

btw it said its 24 eps. im interested what will happen in future episodes
Feb 28, 2010 2:29 PM

Aug 2008
Well, that's bound to happen regardless of the content. I'm sure some of the people who loved last week's episode was in love with the latest episode of Sora no Woto. Some people just need a couple of gags and cartoon violence to satiate what they're looking for in entertainment. That's honestly the best and worst part of the show: it has something for everyone (and not in a pandering way). Sometimes it will really hit great notes, and sometimes it will leave us wanting more.
Feb 28, 2010 2:47 PM

Sep 2009
In the words of M. Night Shyamalan, "What a tweest!".
Feb 28, 2010 2:49 PM

Oct 2007
I actually was in the same boat with you about what you wrote in last episode thread. Sometime this show leaves me craving for more but something it just doesn't do it like last episode did.

Feb 28, 2010 3:26 PM

Mar 2009
loved it

the plot thickens

a girl and her head xD

& Shinra's growing on me
Feb 28, 2010 5:53 PM

Nov 2006
http://i47.tinypic.com/dvo9k1.png

STOP TEASING US AND SERIOUSLY INCLUDE THEM ALREADY AHHHHHHHHHHH

Kagura89 said:
Soupi said:
Wait wait where were Mairu and Kururi? I didn't see them.
Anyone have a screenshot?

I thought that was them at first too, but I can't see Mairu's braids so I'm not sure... I definitely said "whoa" out loud and rewound when I first saw them though.

-------

Selty is extremely cute.

Oh, and next ep being narrated by slutwhore makes me sad.
windyFeb 28, 2010 7:50 PM
Feb 28, 2010 6:35 PM

May 2009
Oresund said:
ErikaxWalker scene was precious.
Yeah, they're so cute and funny together!

Durarara!! is getting more and more interesting every episode, I just love it. It's fun to simply see all the awesome characters cross paths in Ikebukuro.

What's up with Anri? She was so cold towards Mikado when he came to give her the shoes, and I wonder where Masaomi ran of to?
And why does Mika have Selty's head?

So many questions that I can't wait to know the answers to. Next episode, please! :D
Feb 28, 2010 7:41 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
I loved this episode. I think it's interesting to note the people who hated this episode, the people who hated last week's episode, the people who don't like the show, and the people that do like the show. I think it really speaks to everyone's taste in anime in general, and what types of storytelling/direction sit well with them. Episodes like this (as opposed to the previous) are right up my alley).

Siva said:

To me, Durarara! is about coming to understand the connectedness in all of the characters. Because that is point, there is no main plot except for getting to know the characters themselves. And since that's the case, Drrr! becomes a piece about characters and their relationships. With the first episode, we're introduced to a city run with gang violence, yet not too dangerous, through the eyes of little countryboy, Mikado. Using his character, the viewer is allowed to experience the idea of being in this big, dark city, which makes the idea of Shizuo and Selty that much more off putting.

Each time we change perspective we get a larger idea of Ikebukero. Through Kida and Dota, we learn about the dollars and color gangs; with Shinra we learn about Selty as well as the company he works for; in Selty's stories we get the main theme of feeling a strange sense of connection in a city too big to be totally aware of.

To me, the show has been very specific in addressing what the show is about. It's not about the plot. It's about character relationships. The plot only serves to give us an understanding of where everyone stands with one another. Maybe at it's worst points it gives us episodes like last week (which was too thin to stand on its own), but at it's best, it's given us the Kida episode and Selty's episodes, which--while giving us an understanding of the character's motivations--manages to make the audience crave knowledge he/she isn't aware of in an entertaining (instead of annoying) fashion.

The series is actually trying to apply the six degrees of separation theory into it (look it up if your not sure what it is). This episode tried to make that a little more clear when they tossed the random english chick with the notepad in. As you've noticed already each episode shows us how one or more characters are tied to one or more other characters. By the end we'll know how each character knows each other and it should form a web. The ED is one of many six possible degrees :).

Feb 28, 2010 7:48 PM

Feb 2009
For a man to get use to see an headless person is creepy.
Feb 28, 2010 8:16 PM

Jul 2009
MaxCrazy7 said:
For a man to get use to see an headless person is creepy.

This is Shinra you talking about.Dissecting a Dullahalan in age of four,fanboying Shizuo in elementary school & high school & in love with Celty,Shingen doesn't raised this guy so normally.

windy said:
Oh, and next ep being narrated by slutwhore makes me sad.

But she's an epic slutwhore plus she & Izaya seems fits together(Both are evil) :P
Feb 28, 2010 8:44 PM

Apr 2009
I was wondering if that was Selty's head...
Lol at the gaijin chick.
Was that Gaelic at the end? Slash was it actually accurate? if so, I am slightly impressed.
Feb 28, 2010 9:05 PM

Apr 2007
needs moar kida-kun
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Feb 28, 2010 10:42 PM
Mar 2009
This was a good and very interesting episode. I like how they smoothly move the story through each episode to give us the best understanding. The focus of the episode was my favorite "couple" for this series, so I enjoyed it even more.
Mar 1, 2010 12:03 AM

Aug 2009
This episode was extremely good for me. Actually, better than last episode of shizuo. I always like when the episode is showing a lot of different perspective, whether than only one. After all,

and another interesting thing is;

ringoo4Mar 1, 2010 12:09 AM
Mar 1, 2010 2:09 AM

Jan 2008
I didn't read every single post so I don't know if it was already said, but the part of the episode that hit me the hardest was the blonde girl looking at what Mikado wrote: "Connection".

Felt like crying and laughing, regardless of how heavy-handedly the "theme" of the episode, and ultimately the series it seems, was spelled out with just that one word.
Mar 1, 2010 3:29 AM

Jun 2008
celty's hot indeed ^^
Mar 1, 2010 4:40 AM

Nov 2007
I'm liking the ED more and more.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Mar 1, 2010 10:00 AM

Jan 2009
So, is it Selty's head or not? (°_o)
And they didn't do Selty's writing on her phone very well, since her fingers were moving in the exact same pattern all the time, while the keys that were pressed were, at times, on the other end of the phone. ┐(-。ー')┌
And is it just me, or doesn't Kida somewhat look like he could've been the one who hid Sonohara's shoes to get Mikado and her closer? Seems like just the kind of thing he'd do, especially since Sonohara said Kida looked a bit scary ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
OH SHI- So that's Selty's head ٩(๏_๏)۶ (Not really unexpected, no, but still)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Mar 1, 2010 11:27 AM

Sep 2008
this series amazes me ..so epic

so u guys think Celty's head was cut and attached to that odd girl?
there are stitch marks on her neck

i liked the idea of writing what they're looking for.. kinda deep

also sth VERY confusing..... do they hear Celty talking or they just read what she types ???????
can't follow anymore o_O
bibi bubu baba
Mar 1, 2010 11:38 AM

Nov 2006
Sugababy said:
also sth VERY confusing..... do they hear Celty talking or they just read what she types ???????
can't follow anymore o_O
she talks for us because it'd be weird to have to read her phone every time. the characters can't hear her.
Mar 1, 2010 12:30 PM

Feb 2010
Panaru said:
I didn't read every single post so I don't know if it was already said, but the part of the episode that hit me the hardest was the blonde girl looking at what Mikado wrote: "Connection".

Felt like crying and laughing, regardless of how heavy-handedly the "theme" of the episode, and ultimately the series it seems, was spelled out with just that one word.

This really is a beautiful series :)
Mar 1, 2010 12:33 PM

Jan 2010
sexiji said:
Panaru said:

This really is a beautiful series :)
Indeed it is. You even created an account for the sole purpose of expressing that :D
Mar 1, 2010 12:57 PM

Mar 2009
So my take is that the body of the girl who owns Celty/Selty's head was the girl that Anri was looking for.

And the fireworks guy was her boyfriend.

But anyway.. good ep, hard to resist temptation to wikipedia it etc =P
Mar 1, 2010 2:22 PM

Oct 2007
@DeathfireD: I would rather agreed with what you said. As you can see Izaya seems to be the one behind Dollars which is the reason why he knows pretty much what is going on in the city since he has a really large amount of connections AKA Dollars.

Mar 1, 2010 2:39 PM

Jun 2009
Siva said:
@DeathfireD: I would rather agreed with what you said. As you can see Izaya seems to be the one behind Dollars which is the reason why he knows pretty much what is going on in the city since he has a really large amount of connections AKA Dollars.

レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Mar 1, 2010 2:43 PM

Nov 2006
OrochiPL said:
Siva said:

Mar 1, 2010 3:06 PM

Oct 2007
It seems like I got some spoilers kicking me behind. Well, I did't read the manga or the novel so I am not sure if I got it right or not about Izaya being one or not but they are just my assumption from what I have seen. And my point was just to prove DeathfireD's theory, nothing more.

Mar 1, 2010 3:08 PM
Aug 2009
Well, now there's no doubting that that girl's head is Selty. I've had a nagging suspicion that it was for quite some time now. Cool ep.
Mar 1, 2010 5:43 PM

May 2007
Ok now I want Selty and Shizuo to end up together... is that wrong? XD
I have the feeling that Shinra already knows where Selty's head is... :/

Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Mar 24, 2010

318 by KonokoAsada »»
Sep 2, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

460 by KonokoAsada »»
Sep 2, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

303 by KonokoAsada »»
Sep 2, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Jan 21, 2010

412 by KonokoAsada »»
Sep 2, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

goldslaught - Jun 24, 2010

600 by Randomega »»
Aug 30, 9:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.