Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (59) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Feb 17, 2010 1:49 AM

Dec 2008
Yo, Chelle! Shoulda tried this old school invention for watching anime on----a television! ^_^ Like you, I'm no mecha fan either, but Gundam Wing was cool, had to pay attention because of all the shifting allegiances and whatnot, but the Gundams made the show and then some, especially Deathscythe, my favorite of the bunch. And the reworked design in Endless Waltz were even more awesome.

Regarding the US release of Rin, I liked it, but then, I'm a dub nut and Rin's voice actress, Colleen Clinkenbeard is one of my favorites. And yeah, it's crazy as hell!

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Feb 17, 2010 7:21 AM

Sep 2008
I dont know why but I watched Isshoni Sleeping this morning....

I was morbidly curious since I had seen the previous one and thought it was amusing from a "is this really what gets otaku's off?" kind of mindset. But seriously it is 40 minutes basically of watching a cute anime girl with huge tits sleep. Im not joking. Its watching her sleep. With every camera angle one can think of as well. In some ways it frightens me and horrifies me more than anything I have watched before because of the way it "interacts" with its audience. And judging from the way I know some Otaku behave I am seriously concerned at the way this show might be "used".
Feb 17, 2010 8:43 AM

Dec 2009
Isn't there an anime of the same thing but of a girl doing exercises? Was meant to get the otaku's into liking physical exertion or the very least leaving their basement (It's a command center!!) to get some exercise, or daylight.
Feb 17, 2010 8:55 AM

Feb 2007
Skadi said:
I dont know why but I watched Isshoni Sleeping this morning....

I was morbidly curious since I had seen the previous one and thought it was amusing from a "is this really what gets otaku's off?" kind of mindset. But seriously it is 40 minutes basically of watching a cute anime girl with huge tits sleep. Im not joking. Its watching her sleep. With every camera angle one can think of as well. In some ways it frightens me and horrifies me more than anything I have watched before because of the way it "interacts" with its audience. And judging from the way I know some Otaku behave I am seriously concerned at the way this show might be "used".

Andy Warhol already did something similar 40 years ago...

Hakujou said:

Isn't there an anime of the same thing but of a girl doing exercises? Was meant to get the otaku's into liking physical exertion

But only one part of the body will be exerted, i suppose.:P
Feb 17, 2010 9:57 AM

Sep 2008
Hakujou said:

Isn't there an anime of the same thing but of a girl doing exercises? Was meant to get the otaku's into liking physical exertion

kuroraka said:

But only one part of the body will be exerted, i suppose.:P

Two I guess if you count the hand.
Feb 17, 2010 10:47 AM

Dec 2009
Just don't watch to much of it or suffer the consequences.
Feb 17, 2010 12:04 PM

Sep 2008
I remember seeing a show on that guy once, something about the man whos biceps exploded or something. It was pretty disgusting. Who could possibly think that looks good?
Feb 17, 2010 1:08 PM

Sep 2008
I finished Fruits Basket today. A cute little series and I have to say I really love that little Rice Ball girl.

Feb 17, 2010 3:25 PM

Apr 2008
AccipiterF1 said:
I finished Fruits Basket today. A cute little series and I have to say I really love that little Rice Ball girl.

*BIG cheesy grin*
<<--- Fruits Basket fan girl here---

Fruits Basket is my all time favorite. The manga is great, as well. Tohru annoyed me for the first couple episodes but as soon as you get a glimpse below the surface you can't help but to love her and all the other characters. I just can't get enough of it. I don't even know for sure how many times I've rewatched it, but I'm certain it's over 20.
Feb 18, 2010 3:25 AM

Jul 2007
After 6 years on hold at ep 19, I finally finished watching Papuwa *cries tears of joy* Oh what a crazy ride that was....!!! I'm feeling like a masochist so maybe I'll search for the first series from 1992 XD
Feb 18, 2010 5:22 AM

Sep 2009
mizducky said:
AccipiterF1 said:

*BIG cheesy grin*
<<--- Fruits Basket fan girl here---

Fruits Basket is my all time favorite. The manga is great, as well. Tohru annoyed me for the first couple episodes but as soon as you get a glimpse below the surface you can't help but to love her and all the other characters. I just can't get enough of it. I don't even know for sure how many times I've rewatched it, but I'm certain it's over 20.
*another BIG cheesy grin*
<<--- Fruits Basket fan boy here---

WooHoo!!!

I remember picking up one of those promotional test-drive type DVD's for like $1.99 at the local Gamestop... it had the first two episodes + a bunch of cool extra's (like background info, interviews, etc...). watched it that night, and went out the next day and bought the first to volumes as that was all that had been released at that point. I also went back to that Gamestop and bought the remainder of their stock on that promo-disc... which was like 7 or 8 more, gave them out to all my friends I thought would be into the show (save one for me as a keepsake, which I still have now)

I credit Fruits Basket for opening my eyes and and really getting me into the whole Sad/Super-Emotional type genre of Anime... and for that alone, it will always be a favorite of mine :-)
Feb 18, 2010 9:35 PM

Apr 2008
i finished the other Ayakashi. it was perfectly mediocre through out the entire show, and the ending was really ordinary. the best part is that its over!
Feb 20, 2010 2:07 AM

Dec 2008
Finished Blue Drop last night. Sadly, no happy ending there, not for the two main characters, one died while the other was left behind to grieve. And the ending itself was confusing and wholly unsatisfying.

Feb 20, 2010 6:29 AM

Sep 2008
The Blue Drop anime is a prequel to a series of Manga that takes place after the alien invasion is completed, so that's the reason for the open ending.

Feb 20, 2010 8:24 AM

Dec 2009
Just finished Elfin Lied last night. I give it a big thumbs meh. Good animation, mediocre sound, fair to poor character development and back story and a plot that had such great potential. I am probably in the minority but it just was not that good a story. Maybe if they fleshed it out over a few seasons.
Feb 20, 2010 8:51 AM

Sep 2008
Elfin Lied was one of the first series I watched when I picked up anime again. I think its probably pretty overrated though at the time I watched it I thought it was pretty good. I think if I was seeing it now for the first time after all I have seen I would be much less impressed with it. I thought the story was pretty good and incredibly sad but it would have been more effective without all the silliness and pointless service.
Feb 20, 2010 9:32 AM

Jun 2008
I just watched The Girl Who Lept Through Time. I found it very powerful. I'm not a huge fan of time travel because of the Star Trek series overusing it, but this was done wonderfully and subtly.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Feb 21, 2010 3:38 AM

Dec 2008
AccipiterF1 said:
The Blue Drop anime is a prequel to a series of Manga that takes place after the alien invasion is completed, so that's the reason for the open ending.

Ahh! I see! Well, that certainly explains things! Many thanks for enlightening me!

Feb 21, 2010 11:14 AM

Feb 2007
Finished Berserk and i really liked it, though the last couple of episodes were pretty bizarre and the final one felt like bad tentacle rape hentai. I guess they thought a simple story with lots of hacking & slashing, friendship, betrayal and unrequited gay love would have been too boring...

I'm a bit curious about the manga now, but i'm not sure if i can stomach a couple of hundred chapters of demon...stuff.
Feb 21, 2010 11:31 AM

Dec 2009
Berserk had such HUGE potential as an anime. I have been told the manga is where the true story is. But alas, I am allergic to reading. I had wished there would have been more seasons but sadly don't think that will ever happen. And I agree the last couple episodes you were like. um WTF, did I play the right anime?
Feb 21, 2010 3:59 PM

Apr 2008
I had a friend years ago (one of the ones that got me started on this crack) who was reading the Berserk manga. As far as what he told me, its FAR more graphic, violent and sexual than the anime.
Feb 21, 2010 10:52 PM

Feb 2007
mizducky said:
I had a friend years ago (one of the ones that got me started on this crack) who was reading the Berserk manga. As far as what he told me, its FAR more graphic, violent and sexual than the anime.

LOL! Is that even possible? I wonder how it tops hacked off limbs and fountains of blood...

Seriously, i don't mind graphic violence or even sex as long as it makes sense, but those last eps. just made me go 'huh?!'.
Feb 22, 2010 5:15 PM

Aug 2006
I just finished Hanasakeru Seishounen, FINALLY!! It started out as a promising reverse-harem anime, with some great bishounen eye candy!! A little fluffy, but I was loving it. The series' subbers took about a 2 month break from subbing the series (which irritated the hell out of me), but they came back...

...just in time for the change from fluffy reverse-harem to full blown political intrigue anime. Friendships broken, trusts betrayed, and the future of an entire country/kingdom at risk; all of it happening with our heroine in the middle, trying to decide which man she truly loved, although, it's truly obvious to the watcher from the beginning.

The last few episodes, having solved the political crisis, centered on the romance of Kajika and her "chosen one".

Overall, for me, great series. 8/10 for political upheaval and intrigue. 10/10 for the bishies!! *snicker* So I split the difference and gave it a 9/10!!
Feb 23, 2010 9:34 AM

Dec 2008
Just completed Toaru Majutsu no Index tonight and it was brilliant. I really enjoyed it. Yes, some say Index herself was a pain, but I really enjoyed her, in fact so many characters in the series were great that its hard to choose a favourite. Although I do admire the teacher with the bunny ear PJ's (Tsukuyomi, Komoe), BiriBiri (naturally), Misaska Misaka, Last Order and oddly enough Hyouka Kazakiri. Now I will continue with Railgun episode 7 where I paused.
May the Uguu be with you.

Feb 23, 2010 3:00 PM

Nov 2008
kurorakaFinished [b said:
Berserk and i really liked it, though the last couple of episodes were pretty bizarre and the final one felt like bad tentacle rape hentai. I guess they thought a simple story with lots of hacking & slashing, friendship, betrayal and unrequited gay love would have been too boring...

I'm a bit curious about the manga now, but i'm not sure if i can stomach a couple of hundred chapters of demon...stuff.

The anime is an extended flash back sequence from the manga (it's just under a quarter of the total length of the whole story so far). The key to the anime is treating it like a character study rather than a straight story; it's essentially an explanation for Guts the Black Swordsman we see in the first episode (which came last chronologically). As far as how to handle an anime adaptation of an unfinished manga, Berserk is probably the best out there.

While I'm a big fan of the manga, I will admit that it drags in a few places. The other prolbem is that the author is pretty much burnt out on it. He's been writing it for 20 years now with no end in sight. He goes on hiatus more than he actuall writes these days. The US is up to volume 33, which is only one volume behind the Japanese. After we get 34, I expect to see a volume only every two years or so, just like in Japan.

The manga does get much worst than the TV series in terms of graphic violence, but it's not all the time. There's a lot of down time between the fights and a lot of character interaction and development.
Feb 26, 2010 8:38 AM

Dec 2009
Finished Ouran High School Host Club. Gave it a strong 8. Really funny anime but got a bit off plot in the last 2 episodes. I assume they were intending to make another season but since this anime is from 2006 I doubt that ever occurred, which is sad because there was definitely enough of a story left to tell.
Mar 3, 2010 10:48 AM

Feb 2009
Well I have been sitting on Ai Yori Aoshi now for at least a few years. Always figuring 'oh I will get to it eventually'.

Eventually just happened.

This series is likely without equal in some cases.

The perfect guy, the perfect girl, lots of humour and lots of romance.

The guy doesn't so much get the girl 'officially' but they do actually kiss, and more than once. They do admit to loving each other, and more than once. They do plan to marry, but the series just doesn't go on long enough to get around to that.

And the girl is likely the ultimate perfect wife candidate. Heck I think I couldn't invent by deliberate action a more perfect woman. Ok I'd make her have long hair instead though.

Chelle, if you have not watched this one, you reeeeeally want to let this one cut in line to watch it.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Mar 3, 2010 11:53 AM

Apr 2009
nixops said:
Just completed Toaru Majutsu no Index tonight and it was brilliant. I really enjoyed it. Yes, some say Index herself was a pain, but I really enjoyed her, in fact so many characters in the series were great that its hard to choose a favourite. Although I do admire the teacher with the bunny ear PJ's (Tsukuyomi, Komoe), BiriBiri (naturally), Misaska Misaka, Last Order and oddly enough Hyouka Kazakiri. Now I will continue with Railgun episode 7 where I paused.

I quite liked Index myself. Komoe Sensei as well, who actually has a good amount of air time in the second half of the series. One of my favorite characters in Railgun has to be Harumi Kiyama - the Undressing Woman (you will see). She is voiced by Atsuko Tanaka, that same seiyuu who played Motoko Kusanagi in the Ghost in the Shell animes. I love her performance.
Mar 3, 2010 12:58 PM

Dec 2008
Sukunai said:
Well I have been sitting on Ai Yori Aoshi now for at least a few years. Always figuring 'oh I will get to it eventually'.

Eventually just happened.

This series is likely without equal in some cases.

The perfect guy, the perfect girl, lots of humour and lots of romance.

The guy doesn't so much get the girl 'officially' but they do actually kiss, and more than once. They do admit to loving each other, and more than once. They do plan to marry, but the series just doesn't go on long enough to get around to that.

Well, the manga was still ongoing when the anime was made, so the ending to the latter was left kinda openended. Still, Ai Yori Aoshi was absolutely delightful.

And the girl is likely the ultimate perfect wife candidate. Heck I think I couldn't invent by deliberate action a more perfect woman.

Couldn't agree more! Aoi was the ultimate nadeshiko, made the show, and the manga a real treat.

Mar 3, 2010 11:37 PM

Apr 2009
Just finished marathoning my way through 9 episodes of Shakugan no Shana. I have a tendency to get sucked into certain series, though I might take my time with the second series and maybe work on the second series of Tsubasa Chronicles a bit.
Mar 4, 2010 5:38 AM

Dec 2009
Just put Welcome to the NHK on the completed list. Very Good anime. Not fantastic or mind blowing but very good. Started out very strong, very funny but took a dark tone towards the middle which I though was odd but still worked well. Animation was great, music/sound was great story was strong, had some plot problems. But the characters is what made this anime. I 'liked' them all but was never fully committed to them. Again a strong 8, very good.
Mar 4, 2010 8:48 AM

Dec 2008
Just completed K-ON! tonight, and I cant decide whether I really liked it or not. The story is pretty weak, but its a lot of fun to watch, and of course there are 2 dark haired beauties to admire too. I did get the impression that its the sort of show that could spawn a whole wodge of OVA's and sequels.

Mar 4, 2010 4:52 PM

Feb 2009
Fruits Basket, another dvd set I have had for some time.

Holy crap what an odd series. Reverse harem with one girl and a bunch of guys, sort of.

I guess this show might appeal more to girls, but I found it hilarious and really enjoyed the craziness. Some of it might test a guys resolve to stay interested, some of it sure tests whether you feel secure in your manhood. But most of that aspect was again hilarious.

The shows more serious portions were ok.
But I am sad it ended without any distinct conclusion. I mean, it just ends and clearly it could have gone on.
Mar 4, 2010 5:55 PM

Sep 2009
Sukunai said:

But I am sad it ended without any distinct conclusion. I mean, it just ends and clearly it could have gone on.
The Manga does continue... for quite a bit
Mar 5, 2010 1:21 AM

Dec 2008
Finished Spice and Wolf last night. A delightful show that I enjoyed. And Holo is one of the coolest heroines in anime bar none!

Yo, Sukanai, the events in the Fruits Basket anime covered only the first major story arc of the manga which was why it was openended. Sadly, the director stated he had no desire to continue the show. I for one would've loved to see more.

Mar 5, 2010 5:15 AM

Feb 2009
Do they ever get married?
Mar 5, 2010 9:32 AM

Aug 2008
Sukunai said:

If this question pertains to Spice and Wolf, the answer is: no.

===

Shangri-La. This series is interesting as the main characters (or groups) are all introduced throughout the story as "separate entities". In other words, they are each on their own, not knowing each other or aware about each other, with the exception of interactions in the earlier episodes. But for the most part, the key characters are all doing their "own thing" until a situation leads them to interact with each other.

At the same time, characters are radically different from each other. Ultimately, the central "core" of the story ties the characters all-together; but y'don't realize how until the later part of the series.

That aspect sets that series apart from many that I've seen.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Mar 5, 2010 12:56 PM

Dec 2008
Sukunai said:

Do you mean Tohru and Kyo? Yep, sure did!

Mar 5, 2010 4:50 PM

Sep 2009
PhillyFlash said:
Sukunai said:

what...??? you lie Philly!!!
Mar 6, 2010 2:12 AM

Dec 2008
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
PhillyFlash said:
Sukunai said:

what...??? you lie Philly!!!

Well, that's what it looked like to me. Uh, should I have done the spoiler thingy with that little revelation? If so, my bad!

Mar 6, 2010 6:36 AM

Dec 2008
Just completed Sora no Manimani and it was surpisingly enjoyable. Light and fluffy but with some really good serious moments and a really nice story line. It was also very well drawn and the characters were a lot of un.

Mar 6, 2010 10:05 AM

Apr 2008
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
Sukunai said:

The Manga does continue... for quite a bit

The end of the anime happens in Vol 6 of 23 in the manga. If that gives you any idea of how much more there is to the story. The manga actually just finished up about 3 years ago. It took a while for the translated versions to hit the stores here though.

Mar 6, 2010 2:19 PM

Sep 2009
mizducky said:

I .. of my own accord chose to read this spoiler...
Mar 6, 2010 6:01 PM

Apr 2008
J_Guide, if you read it they do a really good job with (and For) all the characters and it all plays out really well ... for everyone.

There are so many things I could say about it, but I really don't want to give ALL the spoilers away (and there are some really good ones).
Mar 9, 2010 9:21 AM

Dec 2008
I have finally finsihed Sketchbook Full Colours. It was not something I watched consistently as I was watching 3 series in between each episode.
Its slow paced, and at times almost nothing happens. The main character Sora is a gentle shy dreamer of a girl who takes her tea seriously (which is always a plus in my book), and she is surrounded by all these strange characters in her art club. By the end of the series she has lost a lot of the shyness and each character has been developed a bit more. There are also a bunch of cats who make cameo apearences every now and then and they are quite fun. I wont say its the sort of thing that will have you on the edge of your seat, but its Ok for those moments when you are bored and just want to chill.

Mar 9, 2010 1:14 PM

Dec 2008
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
mizducky said:

Why? Did you like Yuki more than Kyo?

Mar 11, 2010 7:44 PM

Sep 2009
PhillyFlash said:
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
mizducky said:

Why? Did you like Yuki more than Kyo?
am definitely gonna have to read the manga now :-)
Mar 11, 2010 8:52 PM

Apr 2008
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
am definitely gonna have to read the manga now :-)

Please let me know when you do! I would enjoy being able to discuss it with you as you go.

Meanwhile, I watched Kakurenbo, a 25 min, single ep, OVA. It was decent for being so short, to the point. Its worth a watch if you get the chance.
I also finished up Ayakashi (Samurai Horror Tales). The three stories weren't bad. The wifes curse story was my least favorite. The other two were about equal in my mind.

mizduckyMar 11, 2010 9:00 PM
Mar 12, 2010 10:12 AM

Dec 2008
5 Centimeters per second. Wow. Visually outstanding, I havent seen backgrounds like that in a long time. Storywise... 3 epsiodes in 1 hour long movie and IMHO the ending didnt work. But, it was enjoyable, and there is just so much potential for a very good series if it was ever pursued.

Mar 12, 2010 10:22 AM

Sep 2008
I was disappointed by the ending of 5cm. But your right it is so visually stunning.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (59) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The Heroic Legend of Arslan (2015) - May 2024 Group Watch

whiteflame55 - May 19

26 by whiteflame55 »»
5 hours ago

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002) ( 1 2 )

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

72 by 23feanor »»
May 23, 12:50 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

836 by Evans_Born »»
May 21, 5:09 PM

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

54 by filifjonkan »»
May 6, 7:49 AM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.