Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 6:02 PM

Jul 2021
lycoping said:
I found Taki's comment, "I still have a lot to learn," to be interesting. I don't think that occurred to him and he realized at that moment how he screwed up in Kumiko's first year. if he had been more experienced, he probably would have done that and spared them a lot of unnecessary drama.

Thanks for pointing this out, I was also pleasantly surprised.

I admit I've come to resent Taki a bit over the season, but the show remembered to humanize the teachers, too. They're also working their butts off, they understand each of their students and want nothing but the best for them, and they're making mistakes and figuring it out. They also have to constantly make tough choices that don't have a clear right answer.

He doesn't get much screen time, but I like his character a lot. Same with Michie-sensei.

I now wish there was an anime that follows a band teacher. It would be amazing to see Kumiko as a band teacher (but she probably needs to go to music school first...).
Jun 23, 6:26 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to perseii
lycoping said:
I found Taki's comment, "I still have a lot to learn," to be interesting. I don't think that occurred to him and he realized at that moment how he screwed up in Kumiko's first year. if he had been more experienced, he probably would have done that and spared them a lot of unnecessary drama.

Thanks for pointing this out, I was also pleasantly surprised.

I admit I've come to resent Taki a bit over the season, but the show remembered to humanize the teachers, too. They're also working their butts off, they understand each of their students and want nothing but the best for them, and they're making mistakes and figuring it out. They also have to constantly make tough choices that don't have a clear right answer.

He doesn't get much screen time, but I like his character a lot. Same with Michie-sensei.

I now wish there was an anime that follows a band teacher. It would be amazing to see Kumiko as a band teacher (but she probably needs to go to music school first...).
perseii said:

Actually, not really. Music school is a school specialized for music, like Juilliard. You can get a general education degree at most any college, and a basic music education training is a part of that. At least it was when I went to college as a music major in a music department in a non-music school.

You can also do music studies at a non-music school, and I'd be shocked if Kumiko doesn't continue concert band in college. You don't have to be a music major to join.

What Reina wants to do is much different and a far more intensive musical education. She's going to be a performer.

I don't think things are much different in Japan.

In getting teacher training, she'll get musical education training too. I, too, would be interested to see her as a band teacher someday, that might make for an interesting series.

"Hibike! Euphonium 4: Kumiko's Revenge"
Jun 23, 6:38 PM
Sep 2022
Seriously I would quit the club after that.
Reina voted as we would expect her. I don't hate Mayu though she did get repetitive.
The real fool is Taki sensei who created easily avoidable dramas within the club multiple times. And no need to cover by trying to win gold. The difference in Kumiko and Mayu's play is non existent otherwise it would be an easy call for Taki sensei.
I feel frustrated like Kanade who said why Kumiko always draws the short stick.
MyetxJun 23, 7:08 PM
Jun 23, 6:49 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to Myetx
Reina voted as we would expect her. I don't hate Mayu though she did get repetitive.
The real fool is Taki sensei who created easily avoidable dramas within the club multiple times. And no need to cover by trying to win gold. The difference in Kumiko and Mayu's play is non existent otherwise it would be an easy call for Taki sensei.
Myetx said:

Taki is a teacher. So it is easy to forget that when Kumiko started, he was also a "first year", in a teacher kinda way. He was bumbling around just as much as Kumiko was. That's one reason, I think, why he put so much trust in Kumiko, Reina, and Shuuichi this year. Maybe he was the advisor, but they'd also been through the wringer together in a way that any succeeding classes will never understand. He had every reason to trust them in a way he couldn't trust Kanade or Motomu, or even Mayu. At least not yet.

They also understand his motivations in a way few others in the band do, or ever will. Particularly Reina. Do you seriously think Niiyama (I think that's her name) didn't tell Taki that Reina was sniffing around his wife's grave? Maybe he has no interest in her as a lover, but they do share something, I think. She may not completely understand him, but she's tried, and that's more than pretty much anyone else in the group, and that includes Kumiko to a degree, did.

Reina's love for Taki is immature, but it's no less real than any other kind, and I think this kind of thing does impact Taki a little, whether he'd ever admit it to himself or not.

It's easy to be hard on Taki, but it's also not easy to fault him, not completely. Especially in the first year.. You can bet after this year he'll be handling things very differently, and that's completely due to what he learned from Kumiko, Reina, and Shuuichi. As Michie said: "You'll be saying 'those kids are amazing'". I think Taki has said that to Michie and others multiple times, off camera.
Jun 23, 6:51 PM
Aug 2022
This episode was great the animation and everything was incredible. Not sure why but I get the feeling Kumiko might become a teacher. I could be wrong tho.

Idk how but I just somehow knew the second performance was Kumiko, made me cry at the end scene when Kumiko and Reina let there feelings out.

Once again Kanade is still such a great character. I actually love her so much
Jun 23, 6:54 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to -Stray
I gotta ask, whom did yall pick during the audition? I didnt know which was which and as much as I wanted Kumiko to play I chose no.2 because it didnt just sound better but resonated with me, it also blended well with the trumpet like it wasnt losing soundwise unlike the 1st one where the sound was quite weak.
I wanna know if theres a lot of us that felt the same way or my hearing is just bad.
@-Stray I also prefer 2nd one (and I thought it was Kumiko). I agree that second performance sounded like it blended better and complemented trumpet while first was more standing out like they try to compete with each other.
But maybe that's what Kumiko meant when she said she was hesitant.
Jun 23, 6:57 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to Phantom_373
This episode was great the animation and everything was incredible. Not sure why but I get the feeling Kumiko might become a teacher. I could be wrong tho.

Idk how but I just somehow knew the second performance was Kumiko, made me cry at the end scene when Kumiko and Reina let there feelings out.

Once again Kanade is still such a great character. I actually love her so much
@Phantom_373 I also thought she would be a teacher, not musical teacher but a regular one.
And Kanade is fantastic!
MyetxJun 23, 7:07 PM
Jun 23, 7:05 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to heinzmostarda
I don't know man.

In the beginning of the season, when Kumiko and Reina first heard Mayu playing, Reina said she was good but Kumiko was better. And she said that more than once througouth the season. So that time when she had the deciding vote I was sure Kumiko would be picked.

I don't think the dots were connected there.
@heinzmostarda very good point! Kumiko's play is clearly good. She was unraveled #1 euphonium at the beginning of the season.
Only continuous unsettling talks by Mayu and Taki's sensei indecisiveness could cause that she started doubting her play and it showed in auditions.
Jun 23, 7:07 PM
May 2020
I'm so frustrated. I was so confident that they will pick Kumiko before watching the episode, I thought that the first was the better player and was BEGGING that she was Kumiko but come on man how can you do this. It's like making a whole sports anime but in the last season they get second place. I don't understand the meaning behind making Kumiko lose to Mayu. I get that this anime isn't about being the best at the euphonium but it's also not right to ruin 3 seasons of build up like that. It would've been fine if there was another chance or at least some learning exprience for Kumiko that we get to see her learn from and actually make some progress, I honestly don't even understand the meaning behind it maybe I'm dumb or something, please someone enlighten me. Maybe this has something to do with her career plans that she submitted idk. I love this show so much but this is just gonna keep haunting me forever at this point.

Also is this actually different from the novel? If someone knows please tell me I don't mind getting spoiled.
MAKHL00FJun 23, 7:18 PM
Jun 23, 7:08 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to Myetx
@heinzmostarda very good point! Kumiko's play is clearly good. She was unraveled #1 euphonium at the beginning of the season.
Only continuous unsettling talks by Mayu and Taki's sensei indecisiveness could cause that she started doubting her play and it showed in auditions.
Myetx said:

That's not the only thing. Between then and now, she also decided not to go to music school. There may be some feelings of inferiority there leaking out.
Jun 23, 7:14 PM
Nov 2023
MAKHL00F said:
Come on man how can you do this. It's like making a whole sports anime but in the last season they get second place. I don't understand the meaning behind making Kumiko lose to Mayu. I get that this anime isn't about being the best at the euphonium but it's also not right to ruin 3 seasons of build up like that. It would've been fine if there was another chance or at least some learning exprience for Kumiko that we get to see her learn from and actually make some progress, I honestly don't even understand the meaning behind it maybe I'm dumb or something, please someone enlighten me. Maybe this has something to do with her career plans that she submitted idk. I love this show so much but this is just gonna keep haunting me forever at this point.

Also is this actually different from the novel? If someone knows please tell me I don't mind getting spoiled.

I think the meaning is that this was never about kumiko becoming a great musician. it was about her becoming a great leader and growing up. even though she failed at the solo... she succeeded at being buchou. and that is the pinnacle of her character arc, not playing solo. if they win gold, it's in very large part due to Kumiko. and that is the meaning, in my opinion.
Jun 23, 7:25 PM
May 2020
Reply to lycoping
MAKHL00F said:
Come on man how can you do this. It's like making a whole sports anime but in the last season they get second place. I don't understand the meaning behind making Kumiko lose to Mayu. I get that this anime isn't about being the best at the euphonium but it's also not right to ruin 3 seasons of build up like that. It would've been fine if there was another chance or at least some learning exprience for Kumiko that we get to see her learn from and actually make some progress, I honestly don't even understand the meaning behind it maybe I'm dumb or something, please someone enlighten me. Maybe this has something to do with her career plans that she submitted idk. I love this show so much but this is just gonna keep haunting me forever at this point.

I think the meaning is that this was never about kumiko becoming a great musician. it was about her becoming a great leader and growing up. even though she failed at the solo... she succeeded at being buchou. and that is the pinnacle of her character arc, not playing solo. if they win gold, it's in very large part due to Kumiko. and that is the meaning, in my opinion.
@lycoping i get that but they emphasized more on who is gonna be picked rather than how Kumiko should act especially the OST it was more focused on the selection, it still doesn't make sense for me but thank you nonetheless.
Jun 23, 7:38 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to lycoping
Myetx said:

That's not the only thing. Between then and now, she also decided not to go to music school. There may be some feelings of inferiority there leaking out.
@lycoping I actually think it should have helped her. Kumiko finally decided what she wants to be. She also figured out how Mayu was affecting her. And with all that she was determined to show that she was the best.
I want to read the novel or manga whatever the source material.
Jun 23, 7:44 PM

May 2021
Reply to Soteerios
I don't normally comment on episode threads, but the lack of reading comprehension is so much that I have to. Some comments are saying that Reina chose Mayu because she couldn't recognize who was who. Reina was crying exactly because she KNEW that Kumiko was the second player, but she decided to uphold her ideal of the best player playing, even if it goes against her personal wish, even if it hurts. And Kumiko did the same thing; she told Taki-sensei to make sure the class doesn't know who is playing, so that results are going to be fair. She didn't have to do that; had they just played in front of everyone normally, Kumiko would have gotten the part. She did it to uphold her ideal, even if it hurts.
@Soteerios Spot-on, a lot of people here tend to forget that Eupho is not the normal aiming towards being the best kind of story where in the end the protagonist always comes out on top since that has always been the goal. This is more of a story about the friendship within the ensemble and how they overcome the struggles as a whole to come out on top and achieve their dream.
Jun 23, 7:45 PM

Oct 2009
Reply to Myetx
@Myetx
And that is what makes Kumiko 'special' because she accepts her defeat with grace and still supported Mayu (As she should) because she is the President and as a person that is just who she is. Taki is just human, and if you didn't remember, in the end REINA chose who was better for nationals. Even if it crushed her, in music reina will be unbiased.

It IS very frustrating and half of the fanbase feel like they are in Kanade's shoes. Mayu opened to Kumiko about her friend quitting to just because she was always more precise in Eupho... Kumiko is being the bigger person (and being her loving self) by supporting Mayu as the eupho soloist, as well as not running away.
Jun 23, 7:46 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to lycoping
MAKHL00F said:

@lycoping Fair point about Kumiko's growth but I think the pinnacle of her character arc was few episodes ago when she lost audition, lost support of Reina but still motivated the band.
After that to have a draw and to lose AGAIN especially in such excruciating fashion just ruins all build-up like the commenter above said.
Jun 23, 8:00 PM

Oct 2009
Reply to MAKHL00F
I'm so frustrated. I was so confident that they will pick Kumiko before watching the episode, I thought that the first was the better player and was BEGGING that she was Kumiko but come on man how can you do this. It's like making a whole sports anime but in the last season they get second place. I don't understand the meaning behind making Kumiko lose to Mayu. I get that this anime isn't about being the best at the euphonium but it's also not right to ruin 3 seasons of build up like that. It would've been fine if there was another chance or at least some learning exprience for Kumiko that we get to see her learn from and actually make some progress, I honestly don't even understand the meaning behind it maybe I'm dumb or something, please someone enlighten me. Maybe this has something to do with her career plans that she submitted idk. I love this show so much but this is just gonna keep haunting me forever at this point.

@MAKHL00F If you want an honest opinion, Hibike Euphonium (the anime) never built up Kumiko as this secret genius Euphonium player. And yes, it is frustrating when the main character/team doesnt win the end, your reaction is valid.
But I think Hibike Euphonium is just a very realistic take on music, creativity, competitions and talent. The hidden meaning you are pertaining to, in terms of a narrative, is that for Kumiko's journey, this tragic loss will be a lesson for her, because ultimately her path in life is

Kumiko's strengths has always has been her character, her caring and true nature. The presence of Mayu kinda tested that because Kumiko, for the first time, intimidated -- because it means her solo with Reina will be a further dream. Kumiko never dreamed about being the best Euphonium player, didn't even decide to go to music school or a college til the last minute.

She isn't a genius euphonium player like Asuka, she also isn't a precise player like Mayu (who also won solis in her old school -- who also wins lots of golds)

Kumiko's theme for the whole season is hesitance. And she was messed up in the head because of college, Mayu's presence and the pressure of being a fair President. TBH, she was indeed growing to be selfish when she questioned why Taki was 'slipping' and was a bit hypocritical in saying she was all of meritocracy until Mayu actually won over her (in her thoughts), when half of the people do think Mayu is on par with her evenly. Good old Asuka slapping some sense into Kumiko in episode 11, and this is where Kumiko remembered who she is and what she really wants in life and who she wants to be.

This is where she figures out that a) she does need to look Mayu Kuroe in the eye and be honest with her, b) be true to what she really wants in music = to play with reina, c) what she wants to do in the future. She decided that she will be a TRUE person.

This is just is in life. I relate to this a lot since I am also in the creative industry with a considerable amount of competition. I related so much with Mayu, but Reinas and Kumikos exist in real life and that what makes this show special. There will be people relentless in their pursuits of their art and talent(Reina), there will be people more focused on the well being of others or building a community(Kumiko). And there will be people in the sweet spot center but will be in a lonely pursuit (Mayu).

The lesson here is that, for Kumiko, life doesnt end and start with Euphonium. But it's okay to cry not having to play your last concert with your best friend. those are all valid emotions
Jun 23, 8:10 PM
May 2020
HRinka said:
@MAKHL00F If you want an honest opinion, Hibike Euphonium (the anime) never built up Kumiko as this secret genius Euphonium player. And yes, it is frustrating when the main character/team doesnt win the end, your reaction is valid.
But I think Hibike Euphonium is just a very realistic take on music, creativity, competitions and talent. The hidden meaning you are pertaining to, in terms of a narrative, is that for Kumiko's journey, this tragic loss will be a lesson for her, because ultimately her path in life is

Kumiko's strengths has always has been her character, her caring and true nature. The presence of Mayu kinda tested that because Kumiko, for the first time, intimidated -- because it means her solo with Reina will be a further dream. Kumiko never dreamed about being the best Euphonium player, didn't even decide to go to music school or a college til the last minute.

She isn't a genius euphonium player like Asuka, she also isn't a precise player like Mayu (who also won solis in her old school -- who also wins lots of golds)

Kumiko's theme for the whole season is hesitance. And she was messed up in the head because of college, Mayu's presence and the pressure of being a fair President. TBH, she was indeed growing to be selfish when she questioned why Taki was 'slipping' and was a bit hypocritical in saying she was all of meritocracy until Mayu actually won over her (in her thoughts), when half of the people do think Mayu is on par with her evenly. Good old Asuka slapping some sense into Kumiko in episode 11, and this is where Kumiko remembered who she is and what she really wants in life and who she wants to be.

This is where she figures out that a) she does need to look Mayu Kuroe in the eye and be honest with her, b) be true to what she really wants in music = to play with reina, c) what she wants to do in the future. She decided that she will be a TRUE person.

This is just is in life. I relate to this a lot since I am also in the creative industry with a considerable amount of competition. I related so much with Mayu, but Reinas and Kumikos exist in real life and that what makes this show special. There will be people relentless in their pursuits of their art and talent(Reina), there will be people more focused on the well being of others or building a community(Kumiko). And there will be people in the sweet spot center but will be in a lonely pursuit (Mayu).

The lesson here is that, for Kumiko, life doesnt end and start with Euphonium. But it's okay to cry not having to play your last concert with your best friend. those are all valid emotions

Thank you man. I also just rewatched the episode to get another view and you made it clearer but just like Kanade said :"That and my frustration are two different things" KyoAni is really toying with my emotions. I can't even sleep now. I just wanted someone to make me realize how good the writing is because I love the show very much and I don't want to give a rating any lower than a 10.
Jun 23, 8:11 PM
Nov 2020
I'm simply only here to say that my vote was for candidate #2. Before the result was announced I did rewind and listened intently to both auditions TWICE! Candidate #2 sounded WAY more full, resonate, and balanced/complementary to the trumpet. Candidate #1 was definitely good but just sounded too small and enclosed to themselves - the best word I could describe it right now is timid.

To me, the duet definitely should start off with the euphonium sounding far off and away from the trumpet, yearning to meet or reconnect. As the duet continues they are supposed to meet and be on equal footing, expressing their joy and self. Candidate #1 never got there, she stayed in the background just kept following being a secondary with no growth whereas #2 met that balance and filled out the duet beautifully.

In the grand scheme I understand what the writers are going for story wise, but as a musician myself I can't get over and am quite frustrated with the final pick. Especially with the revelation at the end with Reina, as a character I find it hard to believe she really thought #1 was the best musical choice.
AnimeZjackJun 23, 8:38 PM
Jun 23, 8:16 PM

Oct 2009
Reply to MAKHL00F
HRinka said:

Thank you man. I also just rewatched the episode to get another view and you made it clearer but just like Kanade said :"That and my frustration are two different things" KyoAni is really toying with my emotions. I can't even sleep now. I just wanted someone to make me realize how good the writing is because I love the show very much and I don't want to give a rating any lower than a 10.
@MAKHL00F Im not a man but it's okay to cryyy. KyoAni does KyoAni things. The emotions in this anime is peak Kyoto Animation. How they did it is just a work of art and written so realistically. I am so glad this studio exists, they always do their best. Sit with your emotions~ anime like this changes lives and that is not an exaggeration. KyoAni did it to me 10 years ago with Clannad, and they still do it with Hibike Euphonium TT. When the senseis were like 'i still have things to learn' and 'when you grow up, you'll also think - these children are amazing', those were all true for my age now TT
Jun 23, 8:24 PM
May 2020
HRinka said:
@MAKHL00F Im not a man but it's okay to cryyy. KyoAni does KyoAni things. The emotions in this anime is peak Kyoto Animation. How they did it is just a work of art and written so realistically. I am so glad this studio exists, they always do their best. Sit with your emotions~ anime like this changes lives and that is not an exaggeration. KyoAni did it to me 10 years ago with Clannad, and they still do it with Hibike Euphonium TT. When the senseis were like 'i still have things to learn' and 'when you grow up, you'll also think - these children are amazing', those were all true for my age now TT

Sorry i'm just too heated up that i type whatever.
Thank you again for explaining, You are clearly good at comprehending stories and their meaning.
The problem is that I couldn't even cry because I was so frustrated and I don't know what I should do to get rid of this frustration.
If they really did change the ending from the novel I hope they make an OVA with the actual ending so we can see Kumiko and Reina play together at nationals not just in practice.
Jun 23, 8:27 PM
Nov 2023
HRinka said:

it changed mine, already. I got into composition because of this anime. at this point, they could have kumiko go to a love hotel with kanade and gotoh while reina drops the trumpet and joins a convent, and I'd still be grateful to it.
Jun 23, 8:28 PM
Jul 2021
This episode made me cry a lot. I'm really sad that Kumiko didn't get the soli, but at the same time, I think this will be better.
Jun 23, 8:32 PM

Oct 2009
Also people are hating on Mayu way too much. She has won solos for her old school who has won a lot of Gold medals. Kumiko said it herself, that even if Mayu just wants to play with everyone, she cannot play sloppily. Mayu plays precise and it's not without malice or intent to "dethrone kumiko". But she never intends to play badly or less of kumiko because as a passionate and serious musician you won't. And if you're gonna say she didnt deserve it because Kumiko had all the hardships, we never really see her POV until episode 12, because Kumiko herself has been putting this wall between her and Mayu.

Kumiko lost because music is never her focus, it was 'playing with reina' and that is not enough to get you through college or your whole life. I think KyoAni did a nice different take, that Kumiko's strengths will be her being a TRUE person.

Also, if you think "an anime shouldnt be realistic" then you clearly havent watched a lot of KyoAni's works or any good sports anime
Jun 23, 8:32 PM

May 2016
I thought the first sounded better, FWIW. I had a feeling Reina would pick Mayu, too, more drama that way. Now watch Mayu eat some bad ramen, and Kumiko has to fill in...... :' )
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Jun 23, 8:33 PM
Sep 2022
To all commenting about peak cinema, drama, how realistic it is etc.
Why not push it further? How would you feel if Kitauji actually won't win gold in nationals? Surely that would be realistic given how much tension was in the club during the year, right?
3 seasons, all build-up - all just to stay that's life it happens. At least we enjoyed nice character development, right?
For me this drama ends here, I am not interested in the finale anymore.
Jun 23, 8:40 PM

Oct 2009
Reply to MAKHL00F
HRinka said:

Sorry i'm just too heated up that i type whatever.
Thank you again for explaining, You are clearly good at comprehending stories and their meaning.
The problem is that I couldn't even cry because I was so frustrated and I don't know what I should do to get rid of this frustration.
If they really did change the ending from the novel I hope they make an OVA with the actual ending so we can see Kumiko and Reina play together at nationals not just in practice.
@MAKHL00F totally valid~ just write how you feel and express it here lol a lot of people will share your frustrations too. I'm also hoping they give Kumiko and Reina a chance to play. Im sure KyoAni will still do it(in some way or another) since Reina and Kumiko's arcs blends and complements each other even though they are a little opposite.
KyoAni really produces a lot of profound work but has a very simple 'cover'. I recommend Free! if you dont mind men swimming and a bit sporty but this also captures a lot of emotions. And this series goes up until their college lives to international competitions.
I don't read the Hibike Eupho novels so i dont know how far the story goes but glad you're enjoying (and crying and frustrated). These are the moments that only anime as a medium, can bring very deeply to its audience.
Jun 23, 8:45 PM
Jun 2016
I'm a damn red-eyed mess... 😭
Jun 23, 8:48 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to Phoenix_Trite
As someone who participated in athletics, and lost out a spot in my final competitions final cuts to one of my closest friends (who was an underclassmen), I feel like the emotions of all of these characters are (while a little played up for drama sake), still beautifully done.

Tomoyo Kurosawa as Oumae Kumiko is my favorite seiyuu performance of all time. While the outcome of this episode was disappointing, it shows that not every story gets its full on "happy ending." Reina knowing her sound, and yet still not picking Kumiko shows that the two are finally ready to say goodbye to one another.

Don't get me wrong. I wanted the good ending. But I also cannot blame the writers for going this route at all. Let's just hope they win the gold. Also, I'm 99.9% sure Kumiko is going to become a teacher, and I think these experiences of her final year (including today's episode) have perfectly put her on to that path. The most talented don't always make the best teachers and coaches, but the ones with the most emotional strength do. Kumiko has that strength, and watching her go from an immature childish kid, to this strong president- has been on heck of a ride.

As long as next week isn't an absolute disaster, I'm not really sure what will ever be able to top this as what I like to think of "the best anime I've ever seen." It's not my favorite, probably because at how the show isn't always happy, but I do think it's so beautifully crafted.
Phoenix_Trite said:
Also, I'm 99.9% sure Kumiko is going to become a teacher, and I think these experiences of her final year (including today's episode) have perfectly put her on to that path.

Agree 1000%. She isn't good enough to go pro, hence her hesitation to go to music school and Mizore's comment after her performance, but she's got the emotional intelligence to be an effective leader, which is necessary for a teacher. It's also a nice way to stay connected with Reina too while she pursues her dream about going pro.
Jun 23, 8:51 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to CrazyFrogz
@-Stray Yes they change the plot. In light novel Kumiko win the final solo, also yes this script change got approval by Takeda> More like this and last episode will be anime original.
@CrazyFrogz I didn't realize the author approved the change but that obviously makes sense given how big of a change it is. Where did you find that information?
Jun 23, 8:52 PM

Jul 2015
I don't care, it should be Kumiko, Euphonium is a anime I've been following since back in 2015, an anime that I grew up watching and one of my all time favorites (well, not anymore), all the movies, all the side stories, and I feel like they took everything from me with this episode, I just can't accept this, sorry, I know some of you might have different opinions and I'll not argue that because I'll just be wasting my time, but what Mayu did bring to the story at all? she was nothing but a dramatic random who appeared out of nowhere who did not knew what to do and the only thing she did the entire season was cry about her role and then took said role from Kumiko, a character that I grew up with, a character that I identify myself with, a character with multiple seasons of character development, A CHARACTER THAT HAD A REASON TO BE THERE and she just loses to a random who did nothing but being a bitch all season because of "reasons?????", maybe this is the feeling of the childhood girl friend who loses to the gaijin transfered girl in a romance anime, this may not be bad writing, but for sure is DUMB WRITING, because the pace was awful all season and if they were trying to sell Mayu's character they failed terribly, "oh, my friend quit music because I took her place in auditions" god fucking dammit you just DIT IT AGAIN, don't come at me crying over it, it felt like the anime was punishing Kumiko for being resistent to the idea of chosing music as a carreer.

I really don't care if Kitauji wins or not and if it wasn't the last episode I wouldn't care less about watching.
Jun 23, 9:52 PM
Apr 2019
This episode was definitely a surprise for me, but I don't know if it was in the right way or not. I certainly didn't expect Kumiko to not win the audition. On one hand, it was unexpected, as Kumiko winning is definitely the predictable route. But one the other hand, I'm bummed because I love Kumiko, and I wanted her to win. But she gets screwed over again by Reina, adding another instance to the list of reasons I don't like her.

I guess it does make sense considering the fact that Kumiko had decided not to pursue music after high school. So, her getting the solo and winning the nationals means absolutely nothing to her when it comes to her future, since she's decided to follow a different path.

Though, that being said, the whole plot point this season of Kumiko choosing not to pursue music after this feels a little odd to me. Not necessarily bad, but it does feel a bit inconsistent with her development in the previous seasons. In S1, Kumiko went from someone who only wanted to play in the band because of her sister, to someone who deeply enjoyed it, both because of her relationship with Reina and because she loved the Euphonium, and became deeply determined to improve herself, as showcased in the iconic bridge running scene. When her sister questions why Kumiko is in the band, she tells her she loves playing the Eupho. She says this to Reina too. This continues in S2, as her friendship with Reina and Asuka deepens. Asuka calls Kumiko the ideal Euphonium player near the end of that season.

After all that growth, I would have thought the logical progression with her character would be her wanting to go to music school so she could continue to play the Eupho, especially if Reina was there with her. This whole notion of Kumiko not being cut out to be a musician, as implied by Mizore, is ludicrous to me. She might not be on the same level as Reina, but she's still talented. She and Mayu are about even, with Mayu being only slightly better. She could be a pro musician if she wants to.

Kumiko losing might not bother me as much if Mayu felt more like a character rather than a tool for drama for most of the season. Kumiko and Mayu needed to have more meaningful conversations. We had the one in this episode and the one at the pool. Every other time to two have interacted it's been the same nonsense of Mayu wanting to quit, and Kumiko having to defend her meritocracy stance. That and Reina being unlikable have definitely been the worst aspects of this season, and why I would say it is the weakest one, though I still like it.
Jun 23, 9:56 PM
Jan 2018
They've got 1 episode to kiss. Let me guess, she's actually going to music school after seeing no other career path that makes sense. She's gonna tell Reina, right after they win nationals, and then they finally, finally embrace. I'm not crazy that they saved it for the finale which is just cliche, but whatever, it'll still be a win if they at least put it in the show.
Jun 23, 10:01 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to shiki343
This episode was definitely a surprise for me, but I don't know if it was in the right way or not. I certainly didn't expect Kumiko to not win the audition. On one hand, it was unexpected, as Kumiko winning is definitely the predictable route. But one the other hand, I'm bummed because I love Kumiko, and I wanted her to win. But she gets screwed over again by Reina, adding another instance to the list of reasons I don't like her.

I guess it does make sense considering the fact that Kumiko had decided not to pursue music after high school. So, her getting the solo and winning the nationals means absolutely nothing to her when it comes to her future, since she's decided to follow a different path.

Though, that being said, the whole plot point this season of Kumiko choosing not to pursue music after this feels a little odd to me. Not necessarily bad, but it does feel a bit inconsistent with her development in the previous seasons. In S1, Kumiko went from someone who only wanted to play in the band because of her sister, to someone who deeply enjoyed it, both because of her relationship with Reina and because she loved the Euphonium, and became deeply determined to improve herself, as showcased in the iconic bridge running scene. When her sister questions why Kumiko is in the band, she tells her she loves playing the Eupho. She says this to Reina too. This continues in S2, as her friendship with Reina and Asuka deepens. Asuka calls Kumiko the ideal Euphonium player near the end of that season.

After all that growth, I would have thought the logical progression with her character would be her wanting to go to music school so she could continue to play the Eupho, especially if Reina was there with her. This whole notion of Kumiko not being cut out to be a musician, as implied by Mizore, is ludicrous to me. She might not be on the same level as Reina, but she's still talented. She and Mayu are about even, with Mayu being only slightly better. She could be a pro musician if she wants to.

Kumiko losing might not bother me as much if Mayu felt more like a character rather than a tool for drama for most of the season. Kumiko and Mayu needed to have more meaningful conversations. We had the one in this episode and the one at the pool. Every other time to two have interacted it's been the same nonsense of Mayu wanting to quit, and Kumiko having to defend her meritocracy stance. That and Reina being unlikable have definitely been the worst aspects of this season, and why I would say it is the weakest one, though I still like it.
@shiki343 Would part of it be Kumiko's unconscious feeling that she'll resent music eventually if she goes pro? It's something that commonly happens in reality when you make your hobby a job.
Jun 23, 10:12 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to HRinka

@HRinka Very well stated. I think she will end up as a teacher, hopefully a music teacher, but either way is fine.

I get why people dislike Mayu since she showed up as a transfer and took the soli from Kumiko, but I actually like this direction better than what was originally in the LN. It fits in well with Kumiko's character arc and her hesitation to pursue music beyond high school. As you pointed out, sometimes, that's just how life goes.

My biggest issue is the pacing, there is just no way they can do nationals AND have a satisfactory conclusion to the rest of the story in 1 episode. They already skipped over showing virtually any actual performance for the entire season just to get to this point. I'm also still pretty ambivalent about Mayu's character since they just dropped her backstory for 1 episode after dancing around it all season. I get that she's a contrast with Kumiko from earlier in her life... but she's still just meh to me.

Making Reina do in Kumiko is certainly a candidate for top 10 anime betrayals of all time though lol. Gotta add in that extra spice for the drama.
Jun 23, 10:13 PM
Jun 2023
Trash result of final audition, why she lost the soli???????
Jun 23, 10:22 PM
Apr 2019
Reply to mo_lave
@shiki343 Would part of it be Kumiko's unconscious feeling that she'll resent music eventually if she goes pro? It's something that commonly happens in reality when you make your hobby a job.
@mo_lave I could buy that, but if that's what they're going for, then they should've had Kumiko discuss that. But she never says anything like that in the season. All we got is that she feels pursuing music isn't for her, which again feels kinda weird given her development in S1 especially.
Jun 23, 10:26 PM
Jul 2023
Hyper mega ultra hyper masterclass cinema
Jun 23, 10:26 PM
Jan 2021
It really feels so bad that I don't even know how to explain this in a different language than mine.

I was thinking that maybe we'll get the full audition like normally and end up with kumiko winning, instead they decided they needed to make another audition, this is when I realized this episode wasn't gonna be good, first of all, in the supposed scenario where 2 of the members are quite literally at the same freaking level (confirmed by the fact that they had to redo the audition) would you rather pick the member that's been with the band for the last 3 years and pretty much everyone likes AND most importantly have an Insane chemistry with the other member of the soli, or would you pick the new student that doesn't even get along with many people and you know will impact the band negatively?? I don't think you even need to be in a band to know the obvious answer, and this sentiment became present throughout the whole episode.

Then kumiko apologizing to mayu like????????????? I was cringing so bad at that scene that I didn't even cared for mayu's past which is BAD because we get to know why she's been so mean to kumiko the whole season, oh okay it's because she's traumatized because her friend quit music because of her, okay but at this point I'm like who cares?? Girl mayu's the one who should be apologizing and why TF is kumiko not confronting her about her behavior?? The whole talk with kanade means nothing now.

Then the audition where the second eupho sounds WAY better it's not even close, it was so obviously better than when kanade reacted to the first solo I was like, oh so kumiko is the first one and mayu is actually better than her (cause I thought kanade recognized kumiko's playing) but then it was actually kumiko playing?? Also the whole tie for the second time in a row was so out of place, it literally felt (and I'm pretty sure it was) only a way to make more time so the episode could get to the end.

And then of course a tie AGAIN at this point I literally wanted to drop everything but I was like WELL at least reina is the tiebreaker so at this point they surely make reina just say "I want kumiko do play the soli" right? Right?.......

Even at this point I didn't even think about the fact that reina can recognize kumiko's playing, so at the end I was more like girl wtf are you crying you did this to yourself like aren't these 2 girls the same freaking level?????? The scene at the end was supposed to be emotional but I just couldn't feel anything cause the WHOLE episode felt so bad, no wonder people is saying that it's an anime original.

The whole point is I really can't understand how mayu is this girl that's supposed to be way better than kumiko yet they got a tie twice in a row???? And if she's not then they TD wont you choose kumiko? It just makes no sense.

And that's not even considering the fact that it's kumiko's last year, like come on.... Also man the very least that you could do is make kanade be in the concert but not even that....

As other people said already it was so disappointing to do this so suddenly, like the whole point since season one was to see kumiko and reina play together and win the gold and instead we get a music prodigy npc and we don't even get to know how good she really is compared to kumiko.

if mayu IS that much better than kumiko, first of all we don't even know because they don't even show us, and second of all they literally had to redo the auditions so mayu is NOT way above kumiko's level, and if that's the case then there's no reason to not choose kumiko over mayu, that's why it feels so bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow make kumiko do the soli in the next chapter, but That's really unlikely and there's no way of doing that without it feeling so bad, so, it's over, all of my liking of the series is gone in one episode but there's still one left so there's no point in not watching it

Sorry for the rant but this episode made me so angry 😭
GabjnrJun 23, 11:01 PM
Jun 23, 10:40 PM

Oct 2009
Reply to Seansy
@HRinka Very well stated. I think she will end up as a teacher, hopefully a music teacher, but either way is fine.

I get why people dislike Mayu since she showed up as a transfer and took the soli from Kumiko, but I actually like this direction better than what was originally in the LN. It fits in well with Kumiko's character arc and her hesitation to pursue music beyond high school. As you pointed out, sometimes, that's just how life goes.

My biggest issue is the pacing, there is just no way they can do nationals AND have a satisfactory conclusion to the rest of the story in 1 episode. They already skipped over showing virtually any actual performance for the entire season just to get to this point. I'm also still pretty ambivalent about Mayu's character since they just dropped her backstory for 1 episode after dancing around it all season. I get that she's a contrast with Kumiko from earlier in her life... but she's still just meh to me.

Making Reina do in Kumiko is certainly a candidate for top 10 anime betrayals of all time though lol. Gotta add in that extra spice for the drama.
@Seansy True, I get the Mayu ambivalence because a lot of us are just protective over Kumiko, more than half of the fanbase felt like Kanade. I don't know what kind of magic KyoAni will do in the last episode, unless they announce a movie, but best we can do is wait for it :)

I get that Mayu had a sort of rushed reveal but I think it is exactly as how intended. Kumiko was running away from facing Mayu in this way because she has always been scared. It is also why Mayu feels ostracized and clingy, despite Kumiko saying she is including her. Mayu knows that Kumiko feels very uneasy with her so she wanted to always ask if she should forfeit because Kumiko was the one being weird about it.

I was looking at it in a neutral and unbiased pov and was very miffed why Kumiko never gave Mayu 'the talk' she always gives the other characters. But like she said and finally admitted in ep 12, she was scared/intimidated of mayu. She didnt even realize these subconsious emotions until Asuka gave her a metaphorical slap in the face. That's why this episode both have her submit her college plans, have this conversation with mayu AND the courage to break down and remove her calm facade to Reina. This is all Kumiko growing up~ and these are all growing pains.

I guess I've always minded Mayu at the back, but it's also on purpose why a lot of us fans too think it was rushed. To me it wasn't, and the snippet of her past was enough for Kumiko and her have an understanding. Mayu finally felt acknowledged by the president, and Kumiko learned to properly face her rival, despite being the president. After all, we are following Kumiko and not Mayu. I just hope we'll get a satisfying conclusion after it all

Oh, im not preaching btw these are just my opinions and how I viewed the season <3
Jun 23, 11:12 PM

Jan 2012
I have zero musical knowledge, so I won't even pretend to know who is the better player between Kumiko and Mayu. Though I find it amusing that the votes are neatly split 50-50. Their skills are THAT close.
Now put yourself in Taki-sensei's shoes: how do you pick between two similarly skilled players? That's a huge headache. There will be complaints whoever he picked. I kinda understand why he let the members decide with voting.

Now that's out of the way, let me say my appreciation for Kanade. My respect for her increased tenfold after this episode. All season long, I thought she's just a comic relief character. Never expected her loyalty to Kumiko to be so genuine.
Jun 23, 11:35 PM

Jul 2021
Myetx said:
Why not push it further? How would you feel if Kitauji actually won't win gold in nationals?

That... would be a choice. But I still think it could work. It would depend on how exactly they tell that story.

I don't think they can pull it off in the one episode they have left, however. Maybe if they had more time and set it up gradually.

I really don't think they will take that route anyway. Life isn't all good, but it's not all bad either; you win some and lose some. So it's "realistic" if Kumiko suffered a loss with the solo but still get a win in the form of Nationals gold.
Jun 23, 11:36 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to ColdBlackTeaFan
I have zero musical knowledge, so I won't even pretend to know who is the better player between Kumiko and Mayu. Though I find it amusing that the votes are neatly split 50-50. Their skills are THAT close.
Now put yourself in Taki-sensei's shoes: how do you pick between two similarly skilled players? That's a huge headache. There will be complaints whoever he picked. I kinda understand why he let the members decide with voting.

Now that's out of the way, let me say my appreciation for Kanade. My respect for her increased tenfold after this episode. All season long, I thought she's just a comic relief character. Never expected her loyalty to Kumiko to be so genuine.
@ColdBlackTeaFan re:Taki sensei. If the skill is close, Kumiko should be playing soli. To swap out club president just because was the dumbest idea.
It's a pity that Reina has turned into one-dimensional Taki sensei obsessed music purist.
Jun 23, 11:44 PM

May 2021
I saved last week's episode to do a double header tonight. The payoff was insane, what a wild ride this has been.

I might be going mentally insane, but I honestly had a smile on my face this entire episode. Kumiko is such a legendary badass of a person. Truly the club president this band needed to win gold. Regardless of her getting the soli or not, she is by far and away the MVP of the band. Without her this entire ensemble wouldn't be close to the level that it is at right now.

Seriously feel bad for Kanade-chan. She has been grinding to earn the spot next to Kumiko on stage and she's kicked again for the competition. That's tough, and Amamiya, Sora is such an amazing voice talent, she sells the character for me so well. Pour out for Kanade and Kumiko man, they deserved better.

Mayu earned the soli off the vote from Reina. LOL God damn what a way to go. I'm laughing just thinking about that. Mayu gets to play with the band for her own enjoyment (whatever that's worth) and Kumiko gets the medal of honor. Salute to the president, sit back and get that W. Oh yeah, I wanted to add that I thought the way they showed who was who playing eupho at the end through the color of their socks was pretty neat. Nice touch, that oddly added a bit of suspense for me.

Kumiko's mental maturity over the course of this entire series has been an absolute blast to follow. The fortitude she has shown in this last season is honestly inspirational. Even with her taking a back seat to Mayu in her last year, I believe that she is a priceless role model to the entire band.

Tune in next week... Gold at nationals or bust.

Jun 24, 12:07 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to Myetx
@ColdBlackTeaFan re:Taki sensei. If the skill is close, Kumiko should be playing soli. To swap out club president just because was the dumbest idea.
It's a pity that Reina has turned into one-dimensional Taki sensei obsessed music purist.
@Myetx Yet that’s exactly who she has been all along…someone who will stick to their ideals no matter the cost. Reina was a problem waiting to happen. We knew she’s very abrasive and would cause friction at some point. I think all of that is very on brand for her character. Some people you can’t change. She’s determined, ambitious to a fault, yet that makes her high-maintenance dork moments all the more endearing for me. She’s a very gifted child who yearns for glory, but she’s still a child. Her Taki-sensei obsession is just some teenage infatuation that she will probably get over when she’s older.
Jun 24, 12:10 AM
Feb 2021
This episode really made me drown in sadness, but on the other side I was also happy with the development of Kumiko personality, it was really touching. I love hibike euphonium so bad
Jun 24, 12:11 AM

Mar 2024
The best episode of season 3 and one of the best episodes in entire Euphonium anime.

Very beautiful and dramatic. And also a little sentimental.

I liked it from the very beginning - that great moment with the flowers and then with the Mayu's music.

An unexpected decision to organize a blind audition, i have never seen anything like this before in anime and even the viewers also did not know who was playing.

And finally, instrumental music. The melody is very beautiful. After listening to both versions, i chose

Mayu is very cute in this episode, her thoughts are finally revealed - she just wants to play for fun but her talent doesnt allow her and she loves music so much that she cant pretend and lose on purpose.

In the end everyone acts in very mature way (except maybe Kanade) and makes a choice of best and not personal preferences.

And that definitely-not-yuri (cmon, its not even funny anymore) moment at the end with tears and holding hands. Kumiko and Reina are one of the best yuri couples in anime for sure.

What else i can say... I will definitely watch this episode again, i really enjoyed it.

An interesting moment after the vote when the camera focused on Mayu's black tights and Kumiko's white socks. On the one hand its a little fanservice, but on the other hand its stylish decision.

Also i really liked the melody they played, i hope it appears on a soundtrack compilation.

Im waiting for the last episode.

UPD: rewatched. I wish they would make all anime like this episode...
Soundtrack, direction, visuals - everything is just perfect.
I would also like to note that cute moment with Kanade

And the ending is very beautiful.
- im literally crying.
x_scolopendra_xJun 24, 12:55 AM
Jun 24, 12:21 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to sirwence
@watsym I rather doubt the author could have said "nope"you script it the way the source canon material is or else!.

@sirwence It's true Ayano's (author) first tweet could be interpreted in different ways.
I saw she reiterated how she felt again 4h ago to make her stance clear:

https://twitter.com/ayanotakeda/status/1805076648510828631

Jun 24, 1:09 AM

Jun 2024
What an emotional ending that was.
I originally thought that Reina was upset for losing a 50/50 choice, but the fact she knew which performance was Kumiko's and decided to choose the best part over her best friend was truly a heart breaking decision.
Mad props to Reina though for doing the right thing no matter how much it hurt.
Jun 24, 1:36 AM

Apr 2023
Oh shit... Carrying these kids with such stress should be prohibited 😭😭😭

Kumiko will become an exemplary adult, but at what cost? Her time at Kitauji probably decreased a good few years of her life...

At least now she is free from the curse of Reina's promise, since it was Reina herself who freed her from carrying this burden. I can already imagine Kumiko playing at the nationals more cheerfully and free from the hesitation of not being worthy of Reina's solo. It will be the window from which Kumiko, the blue bird of this story, will fly towards her adult life.

Heartwarming episode, 10/10 KyoAni.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Your favorite OSTs from the series?

gprime70 - 4 hours ago

1 by NotaMasterpiev »»
26 minutes ago

» It's over bros. No more Kumiko from now on. I am not sure how to cope. Thank you KyoAni for this.

cythraul - Jun 30

38 by Laplace_kun »»
59 minutes ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

164 by Roqueiro »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ultimate Hibike! Euphonium Best girl poll

cythraul - Jun 30

34 by nirererin »»
2 hours ago

» Good for you Shuuichi SPOILERS

MrRant - Jun 30

13 by Laplace_kun »»
7 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.