Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 2, 3:01 AM
Jun 2019
lol kano so stupid
Jun 2, 4:00 AM
Sep 2022
Very forced drama especially because we all know how this is going to end. If this were an adult story it would be different, but since it is a series for teenagers, this would end with the redemption of everyone, even Kano's mother. It is so cliché to use the Japanese father or mother as a dramatic element, whether in the form of authoritarian parents, or with a lack of affection, or who spend too much time working that they neglect their children, nothing surprises me anymore. GBC is doing the same. That being said, Mahiru has every right to choose what is best for her future, she is not part of the problems that Kano and his mother may have. very upset with this chapter. greetings
Jun 2, 4:35 AM
Aug 2023
we are finally getting closer at climax , looking foward for the ending
Jun 2, 4:45 AM
May 2023
There is a Persian rap song that says, "I'm broken, don't make me worse, if you see me somewhere, lead the way, don't greet me."kharabam mano kharabtar nakon, age mano jayee didi boro salamam nakon"

At the same time, my heart burned for Mahiro Yuri and Kano
Jun 2, 5:06 AM
Nov 2018
While Kano was definitely out of line yelling at Mahiru, her anger is justified. She was promised that they'd finish the mv by new years, only to go work for Kano's mother and ditched their plan. Also, she knows Kano and her mom don't have a good relationship, so why not ask Kano about their relationship before saying yes to her mother? At this point, it doesn't seem like JELLY will last because there's too much miscommunication. That ending with Kano in her room hurt my soul
Jun 2, 5:11 AM
Nov 2018
Marinate1016 said:
Letterbox effect just hits so different in episodes like this. Masterful use of direction and cinematography. One of the most gut wrenching episodes I’ve seen recently.

Finally got Kano backstory and the world doesn’t deserve her. The way she idolised her mother and just wanted her acceptance while her mom couldn’t even be bothered to show up to her class on presentation day just broke my heart.. most parents would kill for a kid as pure and obedient as Kano, and her mom only cared about using her to further her career, gross.

Mahiru rep took a major hit in this one for me. She’s gonna have to redeem herself. Came off very snakey. Mfs are upset about me saying it, but planning all this stuff with Yukine when you know she and Kano aren’t on good terms and Kano has had some family issues in the past is very snakey to me! Yes, I get that she wants to advance her own career and grow to love her art and herself, that’s very valid, but I’m not working with my best friend’s mom who I know she has beef with or at least aren’t on good terms. It’s just messy.

And even during Mahiru and Yukine meeting you can already see signs. Like when Mahiru brought up Kano and she’s like “oh you mean Nonoka” she don’t even see her daughter as a person just as a commodity or product. Just like she sees Mahiru’s art the same. Calling Mahiru “sensei” and gassing her shit up.. she’s not slick man 💀 she’ll turn on you just like she did Kano when it’s no longer convenient.

The other thing for me is if you really feel like you doing nothing wrong, you wouldn’t even feel the need to call Kano and get her blessing. The fact Mahiru did that tells me she knew this was something that she probably shouldn’t be doing. Kano was clearly skeptical otp about it too 🤷🏾‍♂️ do I think Mahiru is a horrible person? No, but she did some snake shit. But again, respect to Yaku sensei for creating a situation that could very much happen irl because girlfriends can be messy as hell.

Talked about all that and ain’t even get into Mero running the YouTube expose page. That’s so fucking gross and Kano was very justified for punching her in the face. I’d rather lose the right way than win the wrong way and kano clearly felt the same.

Now Kano did say some nasty shit at the end to Mahiru but you know, Mahiru deserved it 🤷🏾‍♂️ and Kano was just desperate to not lose the only friends she’s had. After seemingly finally escaping her loner past and developing relationships now she sees her closest friend potentially drifting away from her with her MOTHER of all people, the same mother who when told her daughter’s concerns about not having friends or fitting in just brought up her dream of selling out Tōkyō some. ofc she’d snap.

Could go on and on about it but it was amazing, didn’t even touch on everything I want to but I’m on vacation and need to go to the beach lmao. This episode fucked me up though. 10/10 as usual from my goat Yaku sensei. If there’s ever a Tomozaki s3 and 4 it’ll have stuff like this too.

I pretty much agree with everything but I don't think Mahiru deserved the last sentence from Kano. That was going a little too far but everything else I agree with. Mahiru was being snakey and super selfish.
Jun 2, 5:19 AM
Mar 2019
First really sad episode, and I watch Jellyfish to get the positive vibes. And, it's confirmed that it's piracy. Kano was doing it to get the attention of mom, and now mom has got her just where she wants her using Yoru as the catalyst. The major conflict was bound to come up, and so now here it is. I hope Yoru realizes that this is all really to get back at Kano. I smell it already as clear as saltwater.
Jun 2, 6:06 AM

Sep 2022
Great episode! Probably the best thing about it how it divided audience. There is no clear cut right or wrong in it.
Jun 2, 6:29 AM
Nov 2021
This episode just made it clear that Mahiru is the worst character in this show or atleast as trash as the mom, which then actually make it make sense to why she chose the mom over Kano and their promise
Jun 2, 6:31 AM
Nov 2021
Reply to Nachtwandler_21
@Marinate1016 I hardly disagree here. Mahiru warned Kano, she tried to find out the truth and she explained properly her motivation. Kano, on the other hand, was right during the whole situation in her previous unit but this time she behaved like idiot: refused to explaine the situation with her mother and what really happened and after hearing Mahirus decigion she only blamed her with betrayel and made a scene insterad of, once again, trying to actually talk out the situation.

I am sure it will turn out that Kanos mokm is a big bad and the girls will mend things up because this how it is by the tropes. But I will ber really disappointed if Kano just gets forgiven without any redeeming arc and Mahiru will be pictured at fault here.
@Nachtwandler_21 So we just gonna ignore the whole thing with Mahiru literally basically saying “Fuck you Kano and our promise, your mom is more important”? Mahiru is just as trash as Kanos mom.

Damn I hope Kano and Mahiru wont be close again, Mahiru dont deserve to have Kano in her life, when Mahiru is this much of a bitch
Jun 2, 6:32 AM
Nov 2021
Reply to SenshadouOtaku
Kano said something really mean to Yoru. Can’t wait to see how this all plays out
@SenshadouOtaku No, she said what Mahiru deserved to be told. Mahiru is a bitch for what she did
Jun 2, 6:37 AM
May 2023
MathMols said:
@SenshadouOtaku No, she said what Mahiru deserved to be told. Mahiru is a bitch for what she did

Why exactly is Marhiru a bitch? For wanting to take on a challenge? For wanting to get better at drawing? I understand where Kano is coming from but that was still not nice thing to say
Jun 2, 6:45 AM

Apr 2013
Me when I go back on my word and betray my friends.

I still don't hate Mahiru and can see her perspective but what she did was disloyal. Seems like the last scene was kind of forced in to make it seem like Kano is in the wrong somehow but really most people would understandably see what she did as a snake move.
Jun 2, 6:54 AM
Nov 2021
Reply to SenshadouOtaku
MathMols said:

Why exactly is Marhiru a bitch? For wanting to take on a challenge? For wanting to get better at drawing? I understand where Kano is coming from but that was still not nice thing to say
@SenshadouOtaku So you are just ignoring the fact that she literally Promised Kano and the others to make a new song and all that, knows how important Jelee is for Kano, knows Kano and the mom have massive problems, but still chose the mom over Kano and their promise?

No matter how you look at it Mahiru is a selfish bitch, that only used Kano and Jelee as a stepping stone. She is just as trash as the mom.
Jun 2, 6:56 AM
May 2023
MathMols said:
@SenshadouOtaku So you are just ignoring the fact that she literally Promised Kano and the others to make a new song and all that, knows how important Jelee is for Kano, knows Kano and the mom have massive problems, but still chose the mom over Kano and their promise?

No matter how you look at it Mahiru is a selfish bitch, that only used Kano and Jelee as a stepping stone. She is just as trash as the mom.

Mahiru feels like she’s stuck. Like she’s not making any progress. So what? She’s supposed to be mediocre for the sake of her friend? The world doesn’t revolve around Kano bro ✋🏻😭
Jun 2, 7:05 AM
Nov 2021
Reply to SenshadouOtaku
MathMols said:

Mahiru feels like she’s stuck. Like she’s not making any progress. So what? She’s supposed to be mediocre for the sake of her friend? The world doesn’t revolve around Kano bro ✋🏻😭
@SenshadouOtaku So you are saying that you should basically backstab and say “Fuck you and our Promised” to your friends for your own selfish reasons? Damn what a good friend you must be🤦🏼‍♂️
Jun 2, 7:10 AM
May 2023
MathMols said:
@SenshadouOtaku So you are saying that you should basically backstab and say “Fuck you and our Promised” to your friends for your own selfish reasons? Damn what a good friend you must be🤦🏼‍♂️

It’s not that I’m “backstabbing” anyone. If I’m getting a once in a lifetime opportunity to improve my art skills I’m taking it 🤷🏻‍♀️
Jun 2, 7:15 AM

May 2011
Reply to MathMols
@MathMols And how many promises did Kano break until this point? 🤦🏼‍♂️ Are you just going to ignore those? 🤦🏼‍♂️ The promises she made with her mom, team, and friends she broke it all which is why she is where she is now 🤦🏼‍♂️
Jun 2, 7:15 AM
May 2017
HibiChika said:
kano is such an insufferable control freak. imagine being her, that could never be mee.

nah lol its just Mahiru fucked up working with the ops
Jun 2, 8:17 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to MathMols
@Nachtwandler_21 So we just gonna ignore the whole thing with Mahiru literally basically saying “Fuck you Kano and our promise, your mom is more important”? Mahiru is just as trash as Kanos mom.

Damn I hope Kano and Mahiru wont be close again, Mahiru dont deserve to have Kano in her life, when Mahiru is this much of a bitch
@MathMols are we going to ignore the fact that Kano basically use other three to beat her mom and SunDolls without bothering to actually explain what happened between them. Kano is as trash as her mom.

Jun 2, 8:31 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to Nachtwandler_21
@MathMols are we going to ignore the fact that Kano basically use other three to beat her mom and SunDolls without bothering to actually explain what happened between them. Kano is as trash as her mom.

@Nachtwandler_21 you have fallen into the artificial drama of this chapter. This is not a seinen, it is an anime for teenagers, this drama will be resolved in the easiest way, with the redemption of all the characters (Including the mother, I wouldn't be surprised). Mahiru has no problem with Kano's mother and has a once in a lifetime opportunity. That being said, redemption and that's it
Jun 2, 8:37 AM
Nov 2018
I don't know why people are saying the drama in this feels forced. Kana has a legitimate reason why she feels betrayed. Mahiru, at the same time, finally wants something for her future and knows it won't probably be achieved if she stays where she is. All at the same time, Kana's mom is doing this on purpose to kill JELEE as a group and to get back at her daughter. I actually like it.
Jun 2, 8:38 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Hormigo
@Nachtwandler_21 you have fallen into the artificial drama of this chapter. This is not a seinen, it is an anime for teenagers, this drama will be resolved in the easiest way, with the redemption of all the characters (Including the mother, I wouldn't be surprised). Mahiru has no problem with Kano's mother and has a once in a lifetime opportunity. That being said, redemption and that's it
@Hormigo oh, it is obvious, But I do hope for better writing here. And I just used the same arguments as person above.
Jun 2, 8:50 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to Moppit
I don't know why people are saying the drama in this feels forced. Kana has a legitimate reason why she feels betrayed. Mahiru, at the same time, finally wants something for her future and knows it won't probably be achieved if she stays where she is. All at the same time, Kana's mom is doing this on purpose to kill JELEE as a group and to get back at her daughter. I actually like it.
@Moppit In my case I say that it is a forced drama because I know (although I could be wrong) that everything in this drama in the following chapters will be resolved in the simplest way. I have already seen many dramas of these and they always end the same way. I have seen the cliché of the Japanese mother, absent, with a lack of affection for her children, so many times that I have already assimilated it. how do I say redemption in the end and all happy"
Jun 2, 9:07 AM
Nov 2018
@Hormigo I'm just talking about right now as it is presented. If the ending is crappy, then the ending is crappy. I like the dilemma they are showing now as is. I haven't read the material for this, but the way you talk, they will get along at the end, in the most boring way. That's for later to see, I just like what I saw in episode 9.
MoppitJun 2, 9:41 AM
Jun 2, 9:30 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to Moppit
@Hormigo I'm just talking about right now as it is presented. If the ending is crappy, then the ending is crappy. I like the dilemma they are showing now as is. I haven't read the material for this, but the way you talk, they will get along at the end, in the most boring way. That's for later to see, I just like what I saw in episode 9.
@Moppit If all this drama ends with Kana and Mahiru, separating their paths and never speaking again, I will raise the grade to a 10 because it will surprise me. What's more, this anime would become one one of the best animes of recent times, I'm just saying that from what I've seen in similar animes, this will end with "Happy flower". the future will tell. greetings
Jun 2, 9:31 AM

May 2023
Skandinabia said:
ImmortalZero said:
Now that we have a better look at the past man this was mostly all Kano's fault... You don't just suddenly slug someone like that especially in front of journalists like that. Hell she had the chance to just show the smartphone to the people there for the better results. Then those last few minutes, Jesus girl you are rotten to the core.

come on man you r just to harsh one, her imagine your mother has put on your shoulder such a burden that u must be perfect so you can achieve her dream and suddenly after working so hard for her you learn that the only reason you got to the point of almost completing your task is that your mother(probably) and a member of your group just took the spot of the other group by "force" the only wrong thing Kano did in these episode was the way she talked to yoru but im sure she will make up tbh if I was in her position I would have punched the shit out of that girl but still to harsh to call her rotten

I'm agree with you bro! i thought I'm the only person thinking kano doing nothing wrong
Jun 2, 9:36 AM

Oct 2018
very good episode with drama story and for Kano and Mahiru's stories
Waiting to see the developement of all that :D
Jun 2, 9:37 AM

Oct 2018
Reply to MrHunterxHunter
why are some people expecting some yuri drama?
@MrHunterxHunter probably because there is only girl but this anime as not this type of story. There could be cute relationship but not yuri relation i think
Jun 2, 9:49 AM

May 2023
Marinate1016 said:
Letterbox effect just hits so different in episodes like this. Masterful use of direction and cinematography. One of the most gut wrenching episodes I’ve seen recently.

Finally got Kano backstory and the world doesn’t deserve her. The way she idolised her mother and just wanted her acceptance while her mom couldn’t even be bothered to show up to her class on presentation day just broke my heart.. most parents would kill for a kid as pure and obedient as Kano, and her mom only cared about using her to further her career, gross.

Mahiru rep took a major hit in this one for me. She’s gonna have to redeem herself. Came off very snakey. Mfs are upset about me saying it, but planning all this stuff with Yukine when you know she and Kano aren’t on good terms and Kano has had some family issues in the past is very snakey to me! Yes, I get that she wants to advance her own career and grow to love her art and herself, that’s very valid, but I’m not working with my best friend’s mom who I know she has beef with or at least aren’t on good terms. It’s just messy.

And even during Mahiru and Yukine meeting you can already see signs. Like when Mahiru brought up Kano and she’s like “oh you mean Nonoka” she don’t even see her daughter as a person just as a commodity or product. Just like she sees Mahiru’s art the same. Calling Mahiru “sensei” and gassing her shit up.. she’s not slick man 💀 she’ll turn on you just like she did Kano when it’s no longer convenient.

The other thing for me is if you really feel like you doing nothing wrong, you wouldn’t even feel the need to call Kano and get her blessing. The fact Mahiru did that tells me she knew this was something that she probably shouldn’t be doing. Kano was clearly skeptical otp about it too 🤷🏾‍♂️ do I think Mahiru is a horrible person? No, but she did some snake shit. But again, respect to Yaku sensei for creating a situation that could very much happen irl because girlfriends can be messy as hell.

Talked about all that and ain’t even get into Mero running the YouTube expose page. That’s so fucking gross and Kano was very justified for punching her in the face. I’d rather lose the right way than win the wrong way and kano clearly felt the same.

Now Kano did say some nasty shit at the end to Mahiru but you know, Mahiru deserved it 🤷🏾‍♂️ and Kano was just desperate to not lose the only friends she’s had. After seemingly finally escaping her loner past and developing relationships now she sees her closest friend potentially drifting away from her with her MOTHER of all people, the same mother who when told her daughter’s concerns about not having friends or fitting in just brought up her dream of selling out Tōkyō some. ofc she’d snap.

Could go on and on about it but it was amazing, didn’t even touch on everything I want to but I’m on vacation and need to go to the beach lmao. This episode fucked me up though. 10/10 as usual from my goat Yaku sensei. If there’s ever a Tomozaki s3 and 4 it’ll have stuff like this too.

i can't say much, but i agree with all of your explanation. I'm glad you wrote all of this, i mean she's doing nothing wrong.

i know it's her fault for making punch scandal. But i can't blame her after seeing the pic melo and her mother (showing how close they are) plus seeing the exposed acc in that phone. And her mother didn't even care for her daughter explanation 🙄. She's just a victim from her mother and social life.

And about how angry she's at mahiru after she hearing this i can't blame her. And again why mahiru didn't wait for kano story. i mean they want to meet at the park by the weekend, but why you doing the opposite bruh.

I know ppl irl will doing the same thing like mahiru did. but you can just said to her mother "i need time thinking about this offer". and again her mother just manipulative 🙄.

Kano just need love that all
Tokisaki_YueJun 2, 10:10 AM
Jun 2, 9:50 AM
Nov 2018
@Hormigo We both know that mother and daughter relationship is probably going to be fixed at the end with Mahiru help. At the same time, Mero career will take a turn for the worst at the end. Why I'm enjoying what I'm watching now and not the foreseeable end. I'm hoping it will be something unique but not going to shocked if it isn't.
Jun 2, 9:56 AM

Oct 2022
Hooooly, I never comment on the episodes threads but this is the literal definition of peak. Really hyped for next episode!
)
Jun 2, 10:01 AM

May 2023
Royalty459 said:
Marinate1016 said:

I pretty much agree with everything but I don't think Mahiru deserved the last sentence from Kano. That was going a little too far but everything else I agree with. Mahiru was being snakey and super selfish.

yeah about the words that kano said little bit to far, it would been better if kano act like: oh okay so you choose to leave jelee mv and go to her company, (then leaving the house with no single words)
Jun 2, 10:04 AM

May 2023
Royalty459 said:
While Kano was definitely out of line yelling at Mahiru, her anger is justified. She was promised that they'd finish the mv by new years, only to go work for Kano's mother and ditched their plan. Also, she knows Kano and her mom don't have a good relationship, so why not ask Kano about their relationship before saying yes to her mother? At this point, it doesn't seem like JELLY will last because there's too much miscommunication. That ending with Kano in her room hurt my soul

yeah that's exactly
Jun 2, 10:13 AM

May 2023
MathMols said:

hahaha that's what on my mind when hearing that conversation 😂
Jun 2, 10:20 AM
Jun 2010
Reply to Seansy
I thought the drama was well executed. Not sure why other people think it is "forced". I knew after the end of the last episode that something like this was likely to happen based on earlier foreshadowing so I'm confused as to why other people consider it "forced". The whole series had this story lingering in the background to come to the fore later and now it is happening. Everything has been leading up to this confrontation, even the seemingly one-off side stories such as the independent idol, the only question was how it would be done. Using the best friend of Kano as the accelerant for the conflict makes sense given their relationship to each other (not romantically speaking, as fellow artists in the general sense) compared to the heavily corporatized mother.

Kano obviously has complicated feelings about her mom and Mahiru working for her with her old idol group. Mahiru views it as possible once in a lifetime opportunity while being conflicted about working for her friend's mom. The mom could be lying about not trying to pry Mahiru from Kano, but it also appears she genuinely believes Mahiru has talent that should be recognized. TBD on what is reality on this, but both options seem believable right now. Manipulation can still come from a genuine place so I'm not ruling out anything.

Now that we have learned about the rest of Kano's backstory things are only going to escalate from here. I'm looking forward to seeing the how the rest of the anime unfolds.
@Seansy, for a bit of context as a former producer, I found the boardroom scene both fantastic and horrible. The mother was simply getting what she wanted twice.

1. She gets to try and hurt her daughter, who pulled away "her dream" of the Tokyo dome, that horrible manipulation seed that had been planted earlier within the episode and also to test this friendship

2. Underpaying and making this unattainable expectation. This would have been something a team of longtime, experienced professionals would work on and even pitch for! She's setting Mahiru up to fail, and Kano's mother her actual plans set in motion, this isn't costing her much, if anything but to hurt Mahiru and by proxie Kano.

Hey, if Mahiru does match these crazy heights, do you think it's a one-time thing? I've been in those meetings, and high exacts will expect them to do it again because "they did it once; why can't they do it again?"

It's all to send a loud and clear message to Kano. You can't do anything without my permission; you F***** with me, and I will F*** you till you leave this industry for life.

Jun 2, 10:36 AM
May 2019
Unbelievable!
Sudden turn in the episode.
Jun 2, 10:36 AM
May 2019
Unbelievable!
Sudden turn in the episode.
Jun 2, 10:38 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to xboxAlex01
@Seansy, for a bit of context as a former producer, I found the boardroom scene both fantastic and horrible. The mother was simply getting what she wanted twice.

1. She gets to try and hurt her daughter, who pulled away "her dream" of the Tokyo dome, that horrible manipulation seed that had been planted earlier within the episode and also to test this friendship

2. Underpaying and making this unattainable expectation. This would have been something a team of longtime, experienced professionals would work on and even pitch for! She's setting Mahiru up to fail, and Kano's mother her actual plans set in motion, this isn't costing her much, if anything but to hurt Mahiru and by proxie Kano.

Hey, if Mahiru does match these crazy heights, do you think it's a one-time thing? I've been in those meetings, and high exacts will expect them to do it again because "they did it once; why can't they do it again?"

It's all to send a loud and clear message to Kano. You can't do anything without my permission; you F***** with me, and I will F*** you till you leave this industry for life.

@xboxAlex01 I agree with your analysis and think this result is very realistic given the power dynamics at play. That's why the drama isn't remotely "forced" to me.

That's why the scene is both fantastic and horrible. It's horrible that Kano's mom is getting exactly what she wants, but it is fantastic because of the great writing being done for the story imo.
Jun 2, 10:49 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to Seansy
@xboxAlex01 I agree with your analysis and think this result is very realistic given the power dynamics at play. That's why the drama isn't remotely "forced" to me.

That's why the scene is both fantastic and horrible. It's horrible that Kano's mom is getting exactly what she wants, but it is fantastic because of the great writing being done for the story imo.
@Seansy You forget that this work is not for adults, it is for teenagers, and that analysis is very accurate but from the point of view of an adult, which is not the case with this anime. the cliche of the The Japanese mother, father, lacking affection, demanding of their children is very common in this type of anime and always ends in redemption (with some exceptions). The future will tell. Greetings
Jun 2, 11:37 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to Hormigo
@Seansy You forget that this work is not for adults, it is for teenagers, and that analysis is very accurate but from the point of view of an adult, which is not the case with this anime. the cliche of the The Japanese mother, father, lacking affection, demanding of their children is very common in this type of anime and always ends in redemption (with some exceptions). The future will tell. Greetings
@Hormigo I mean, the analysis is either right or wrong regardless of the target audience. It is also worth mentioning that since this work IS targeted at a Japanese audience that it will use cliches that are relevant to their audience. The cliches exist for a reason, because that type of parenting style is much more prevalent in Japanese families, and Asian families in general, compared to other cultures. It's like rolling your eyes at a "Tiger Mom" in American media. That stereotype/cliche exists for a reason! It also fits the situation of the story too. None of the other parents shown are like Kano's mom, so it makes sense that she would be fit into that cliche/stereotype due to her job. The story isn't implementing the cliche as a lazy trope to express the character, it is a major part of the story itself.

I think the story will reconcile the relationship between Kano and Mahiru, but that's because everything the story is doing thematically points towards that being the result. It would be a major reversal from everything the story has been leading up to for it to change gears and have Mahiru and Kano go their separate ways. I wouldn't rule it out as there is enough episodes left to execute that type of reversal, but the happy resolutions to so many conflicts and character arcs thus far strongly suggest that won't happen.

And that's ok! Not every drama has to lead to tragedy or a sad/bittersweet ending to be a great story. It comes down to the execution of the creative vision for the work itself. I would also add that since this series is clearly a passion project of the people that worked on it that I cannot imagine the passion for it would exist if the ending picked the corporate sell out option over the more creative option. That isn't to say there isn't some kind of middle ground option that will be picked, Doga Kobo is hardly some indie studio after all, but people get into the anime industry for the love of the work itself, not because it is a great working option to make a living lol.
SeansyJun 2, 12:12 PM
Jun 2, 12:11 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to Marinate1016

Marinate1016 said:

I'm not sure why you keep editing this post in response to disagreement about your initial point, but to me it reads as a passive-aggressive prebuttal to the disagreement.

I think the reason for the disagreement is due to a difference of opinion in what constitutes "acting like a snake". Your expanded interpretation reads to me as "betraying a friend = snake". Since Mahiru betrayed Kano by taking the job from Kano's mom over the JELEE project that makes her a snake.

I view "acting like a snake" differently. For me, it is someone that is two-faced, like Kawai from Koe no Katachi. They will act nice to your face, but talk shit behind your back. They will heartlessly backstab you, frequently without you knowing when it happens. None of these descriptors fit what Mahiru did. It is quite literally the exact opposite. For reference, the descriptions I listed are also matched in the top 5 definitions in Urban Dictionary:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Snake

Did Mahiru betray Kano's friendship? 100% agree

Was she "being a snake about it"? 100% disagree

As a fellow Yuki Yaku enjoyer I hope other people will check out Tomozaki too if they are enjoying YoruKura so we can get more of his LN content animated. One of my personal all time favorite series.
Jun 2, 12:12 PM

Feb 2019
What’re you yapping about? I edited ONCE since this post was made and that was to elaborate on my initial two sentence comment with an additional 8 paragraphs. I don’t think you know what passive aggressive means which is ironic since you’re lecturing ME on what “snake” means, lol. What offends you or anyone else is on you.

I wrote a dissertation on why Mahiru was moving like a snake in this ep. If you don’t agree doesn’t affect me.
Marinate1016Jun 2, 12:20 PM
Jun 2, 12:27 PM

Jun 2019
Moppit said:
I haven't read the material for this

There is no source material in this case anyway. It's an anime original series.
Jun 2, 12:45 PM
Dec 2022
That scene at the end there really hits home for me, this is officially my anime of the year 10/10.
Jun 2, 12:47 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to Marinate1016
What’re you yapping about? I edited ONCE since this post was made and that was to elaborate on my initial two sentence comment with an additional 8 paragraphs. I don’t think you know what passive aggressive means which is ironic since you’re lecturing ME on what “snake” means, lol. What offends you or anyone else is on you.

I wrote a dissertation on why Mahiru was moving like a snake in this ep. If you don’t agree doesn’t affect me.
Marinate1016 said:
If you don’t agree doesn’t affect me.

You say that, but you responded 1 minute after my post and edited the post again 8 minutes later while on vacation... I think you need to chill out and enjoy your vacation by turning off notifications for MAL.

I consider editing a previous post to call people "motherfuckers" for politely disagreeing with you to be "passive aggressive" behavior. Would it be better if I just called it rude? There are plenty of worse things I can call it lol.
SeansyJun 2, 1:22 PM
Jun 2, 2:10 PM

Jul 2014
This bad melodrama is about on the level I expect from this show's overall writing. So much promise, but so little actual competence and nuance to it.

This show is sadly just not very good, started so strong but has failed to even come close to living up to that promise.
Jun 2, 2:29 PM

Nov 2013
Damn, depressing episode with a heavy ending...
Jun 2, 3:44 PM
Jan 2024
wow I didn't expect the ending, well we knew how Kano was going to react
Jun 2, 3:46 PM

Jun 2019
One thing I'd like to question about the way certain events went down this episode, if anyone has any insight to contribute to provide any clarification of it (I actually briefly entertained the idea of creating a separate thread topic, but decided just to ask and keep it here), is about the scene at the episode's very beginning.

Why exactly was Kano being laughed at and mocked by other people in the classroom over the essay she outlined or read about each student's "Future Dreams"? And the people standing in the back of the classroom mainly shown laughing were adults - Were they other teachers or parents of her other classmates? Or was there something I'm failing to understand about this scene and it's just symbolic? It seemed like a legitimate flashback and not a dream, daydream, or hallucination, so that's why I found it perplexing.

The main area of confusion is why exactly would she be laughed at and derided over something like that, and so uniformly by the majority or nearly everyone else in the classroom? I'm all for passionately keeping and speaking about your interests, goals, beliefs, etc. even if they're not popular or seen as weird or disliked by others. But in this case it didn't even seem like that. It seems to me a perfectly typical and common expectation that a lot of kids will want to emulate their parents' careers and lives if they admire and have a good enough relationship with them. And it isn't even like her mom has some super misunderstood or niche, oddball job that is something I would think would be mocked or looked down upon by general society. She's a super successful producer in the music industry! Isn't Kano stating that she wants to take after her something you'd think would be super normal, expected, and even lauded? Such a bizarre and incomprehensible reaction and scene to me.

And if we're really to believe that this kid or teen girl would be openly sneered at and mocked, even by all the adults, just for proclaiming that she wants to be like her mother who is a successful business person, then I'd have to say that bit of drama falls very weak or flat for me, and represents kind of the small issue I have about the believability of some of the drama in the series overall. Kano is pretty, musically/artistically talented and gifted, given access to a platform to hone her talents and enjoys success and celebrity status, and comes from a family that, while I assume not mega rich, is at least very comfortable and upper middle class secure where she can have access to most things. People like that can still have plenty of problems, especially internally and psychologically, but I don't really "buy" it when problems are invented for them that they wouldn't realistically have. Like in the classroom example I pointed to from the first scene, if that was indeed what was happening. The "world" - as in, many human beings, is plenty pettily and unforgivingly cruel and ignorant, but that still isn't something which would ever conceivably be treated like that in that type of situation. At least it seems senseless to me. A girl saying that she wants to take after her successful mother - Oh no! What a freak!

I'm not at all averse to Kano having her own problems growing up and still now, and in fact welcome them and their exploration, but a problem like that just doesn't seem plausible and as such not compelling.
WatchTillTandavaJun 3, 4:40 AM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.