Forum Settings
Forums
New
Bare minimum art style you would watch anime
May 23, 5:21 PM

Nov 2019
It’s not very often you see rough gems in the anime scene because they are a mythical existence until found.
If you find an anime with stellar story, characters, soundtrack but rubbish visuals, what is the bare minimum would it have to be for you to watch it? Would you watch any anime regardless of its absolutely laughable art and animation? Do you have examples of series you liked that had a better story than art and animation?

Ex-arm had such a great story like 10/10 worthy it was so amazing but the art style was the let down for me. /s

The way of the househusband had some questionable art (and lack of animation) but the characters and especially the voice actor for Tatsu made it an enjoyable watch. I have such low standard for art and animation I will watch anything even if it’s manga panel as long as it has good sound (VA, sfx and BGM) we’re cooking.
May 23, 7:12 PM

Jul 2021
The poll seems to be assuming that slideshows and CGI are obviously and objectively worse than 2D, which I don't agree with at all.

As for the post itself, at a minimum I expect an anime to move (in a comprehensible way) and stay on-model. 2D vs. 3D is not relevant at this level. Slideshows are only acceptable if there seems to be a particular reason or style.

Golden Kamuy is an example of the excitement and story more than making up for the jankiness of its visuals. I'd say the jankiness actually adds to the comedic and chaotic tone.

Hikari no Ou is what comes to mind as a recent example of a decent story that could not overcome its horrible visuals. So much bizarre movement (when it moves at all), the art style constantly falling apart, overuse of still frames and bad CGI.
May 24, 3:32 AM

May 2021
ST63LTH said:
It’s not very often you see rough gems in the anime scene because they are a mythical existence until found.
If you find an anime with stellar story, characters, soundtrack but rubbish visuals, what is the bare minimum would it have to be for you to watch it? Would you watch any anime regardless of its absolutely laughable art and animation? Do you have examples of series you liked that had a better story than art and animation?

Ex-arm had such a great story like 10/10 worthy it was so amazing but the art style was the let down for me. /s

The way of the househusband had some questionable art (and lack of animation) but the characters and especially the voice actor for Tatsu made it an enjoyable watch. I have such low standard for art and animation I will watch anything even if it’s manga panel as long as it has good sound (VA, sfx and BGM) we’re cooking.

I watch picture dramas so...

Anyways, although animation is not really my top concern, if an anime does have bad, or even mid, animation, it better damn have a good enough story to back it up, of course the worse the animation, the higher expectations i have for the story before it becomes droppable, i'll also add, i don't think the amount of detail or movement is what makes an animation good or bad, example Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san has minimal animation but is very well done and accentuates the story

Some examples of mid/bad animation + good stories/characters

- Revisions
- Tokyo Revengers
- Okoshiyasu, Chitose-chan (penguin is well animated, humans not so much)
- Tiger Mask

And some where the story is not good or well executed enough to compensate the bad/mid visuals

- Golden Kamuy
- Aishiteruze Baby
- Devilman Crybaby
- Majo yo Yajuu
- Mushikago no Cagaster
- Wind Breaker
DigiCat is on Vacation!
May 24, 3:36 AM

May 2021
Reply to perseii
The poll seems to be assuming that slideshows and CGI are obviously and objectively worse than 2D, which I don't agree with at all.

As for the post itself, at a minimum I expect an anime to move (in a comprehensible way) and stay on-model. 2D vs. 3D is not relevant at this level. Slideshows are only acceptable if there seems to be a particular reason or style.

Golden Kamuy is an example of the excitement and story more than making up for the jankiness of its visuals. I'd say the jankiness actually adds to the comedic and chaotic tone.

Hikari no Ou is what comes to mind as a recent example of a decent story that could not overcome its horrible visuals. So much bizarre movement (when it moves at all), the art style constantly falling apart, overuse of still frames and bad CGI.
@perseii Although they aren't objectively worse on their own

If you think about how many 2D anime there are vs how many 3D CGI anime there are, and how many badly animated 2D vs how many badly animated 3D, there are relitively a lot more badly animated 3D anime than 2D
DigiCat is on Vacation!
May 24, 3:40 AM

May 2024
Reply to DigiCat
@perseii Although they aren't objectively worse on their own

If you think about how many 2D anime there are vs how many 3D CGI anime there are, and how many badly animated 2D vs how many badly animated 3D, there are relitively a lot more badly animated 3D anime than 2D
@DigiCat Man, that's gotta be one of the worst takes I've come across on this site.
May 24, 3:58 AM

Nov 2023
Yakusoku no Neverland has the most generic anime artstyle I have ever seen, but due to many storytelling tricks, great characters and great worldbuilding, this ended up being a masterpiece

Redline is the opposite, Most fluid, detailed and many visual tricks used, But mostly is just good for eye candy, Story wish horrible so I cannot brother to watch more
May 24, 4:02 AM

Jul 2021
Ufotable shouldn't be on the top, they just hide the important things with flashy nonsense.
Unless you mean Gyo, that show is their peak.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 24, 4:06 AM

Jul 2014
I've watched a good amount of arthouse OVA's that I guess count as slideshows, and I thoroughly enjoyed them so I don't think "bad" art has much of an influence on whether I will enjoy an anime's story. Nothing wrong with focusing on the story you want to tell rather than smooth visuals, especially if it's made by a small studio or just very few people.

Just a few I've really enjoyed that many people would probably not enjoy the art of are:
Hoshi no Koe
Tori no Uta
Malice@Doll
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
May 24, 4:15 AM

May 2021
Reply to Gashadokur0
@DigiCat Man, that's gotta be one of the worst takes I've come across on this site.
@Gashadokur0 Any chance i can ask you to elaborate on the matter? :3
DigiCat is on Vacation!
May 24, 4:24 AM

Oct 2019
2D ufotable is not always better than normal 2D.

The last option should be Spiderverse/ghibli
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 24, 4:42 AM
Apr 2024
Hmm aren't manga slideshows? And there is better animation than ufotable
May 24, 4:43 AM

May 2024
Reply to DigiCat
@Gashadokur0 Any chance i can ask you to elaborate on the matter? :3
@DigiCat Comparing 2D and 3D anime based on the quantity of poorly animated examples is not really fair. The number of 2D anime vastly outnumbers 3D CGI anime, so naturally, there will be more examples to pick from in each category, good and bad. Traditional 2D animation has a long history and has been the dominant style in the industry for decades. Naturally, with a larger pool of 2D anime, you'll find a wider range of quality, from masterpieces to less impressive works. 3D CGI in anime is still in a developmental phase. Many studios are experimenting with this technology, trying to find the best ways to integrate it which often leads to a wider range of quality, with some attempts falling short of expectations. In 2D, the techniques and processes are well-established, allowing for more consistent output. Also 2D animation relies heavily on artistic skill and style, and even lower-budget productions can achieve a unique aesthetic appeal with skilled artists. Whereas, 3D requires advanced technology specialized software, and a significant investment in both time and resources. Over time, as more artists become proficient in 3D animation techniques and as technology improves, the quality of 3D anime is likely to increase. It also depends on the budget and resouces producing high-quality 3D animation often requires significant financial investment and advanced technological resources, which not all studios can afford. Studios often turn to low cost 3D animation when they are working with a limited budget or want to cut costs, freeing up more resources to enhance their 2D animation. This is why many anime blend 2D and 3D elements, where the 3D animation can sometimes appear bad while the 2D animation looks fantastic.
May 24, 5:17 AM

May 2021
Reply to Gashadokur0
@DigiCat Comparing 2D and 3D anime based on the quantity of poorly animated examples is not really fair. The number of 2D anime vastly outnumbers 3D CGI anime, so naturally, there will be more examples to pick from in each category, good and bad. Traditional 2D animation has a long history and has been the dominant style in the industry for decades. Naturally, with a larger pool of 2D anime, you'll find a wider range of quality, from masterpieces to less impressive works. 3D CGI in anime is still in a developmental phase. Many studios are experimenting with this technology, trying to find the best ways to integrate it which often leads to a wider range of quality, with some attempts falling short of expectations. In 2D, the techniques and processes are well-established, allowing for more consistent output. Also 2D animation relies heavily on artistic skill and style, and even lower-budget productions can achieve a unique aesthetic appeal with skilled artists. Whereas, 3D requires advanced technology specialized software, and a significant investment in both time and resources. Over time, as more artists become proficient in 3D animation techniques and as technology improves, the quality of 3D anime is likely to increase. It also depends on the budget and resouces producing high-quality 3D animation often requires significant financial investment and advanced technological resources, which not all studios can afford. Studios often turn to low cost 3D animation when they are working with a limited budget or want to cut costs, freeing up more resources to enhance their 2D animation. This is why many anime blend 2D and 3D elements, where the 3D animation can sometimes appear bad while the 2D animation looks fantastic.
Gashadokur0 said:
The number of 2D anime vastly outnumbers 3D CGI anime, so naturally, there will be more examples to pick from in each category, good and bad.

That is what i meant by "relitively" more 😅

Gashadokur0 said:
Traditional 2D animation has a long history and has been the dominant style in the industry for decades. Naturally, with a larger pool of 2D anime, you'll find a wider range of quality, from masterpieces to less impressive works. 3D CGI in anime is still in a developmental phase

And yes that is true, and i'm sure with time 3D anime will catch up in terms of quality and variety, but as of now %wise it has a lot more not so good anime than 2D, if you think the comparison with 2D anime today is unfair since it has an obvious advantage, then compare it to when 2D anime first started in the 50s/60s, the disparity is still quite jarring
DigiCat is on Vacation!
May 24, 6:51 AM

Sep 2016
Anime with better story than art

https://myanimelist.net/anime/13629/Furiko

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 24, 11:37 AM

Jul 2021
DigiCat said:

This statement seems to be the consensus in the community, but is that actually true, I wonder? I think a large part of that is from people just "not liking" how 3D looks and feels, or rejecting 3D out of principle.

Bad 3D animation tend to leave a far stronger impression and that's what people tend to remember. Yes, I also react much more negatively when 3D animation is bad, compared to when 2D animation is bad; it just feels way uglier and more unnatural.

But it's hard to say whether it's actually "more common" for 3D animation to look bad. Maybe I'm more positive because I haven't seen enough 3D animation, good or bad. But then I haven't seen enough 2D animation, for that matter; every season there's an avalanche of 2D animation (many of them bad, I assume) that I don't even bother checking out.

A show can be "badly animated" in my eyes regardless of 2D or 3D, if the art and the movement looks awkward, boring, inconsistent, or incomprehensible. I do prefer 2D animation, but I feel that's a matter of personal taste, not because it's "better" "more often."
May 24, 11:55 AM

May 2021
Reply to perseii
DigiCat said:

This statement seems to be the consensus in the community, but is that actually true, I wonder? I think a large part of that is from people just "not liking" how 3D looks and feels, or rejecting 3D out of principle.

Bad 3D animation tend to leave a far stronger impression and that's what people tend to remember. Yes, I also react much more negatively when 3D animation is bad, compared to when 2D animation is bad; it just feels way uglier and more unnatural.

But it's hard to say whether it's actually "more common" for 3D animation to look bad. Maybe I'm more positive because I haven't seen enough 3D animation, good or bad. But then I haven't seen enough 2D animation, for that matter; every season there's an avalanche of 2D animation (many of them bad, I assume) that I don't even bother checking out.

A show can be "badly animated" in my eyes regardless of 2D or 3D, if the art and the movement looks awkward, boring, inconsistent, or incomprehensible. I do prefer 2D animation, but I feel that's a matter of personal taste, not because it's "better" "more often."
perseii said:
This statement seems to be the consensus in the community, but is that actually true, I wonder? I think a large part of that is from people just "not liking" how 3D looks and feels, or rejecting 3D out of principle

True, there definitely are some people who simply dislike 3D and will reject it, but i don't think that's always the case

Me personally i prefere 2D to 3D, but i can still egnoledge if a 3D anime is done well

So far out of the one's i've seen the best animated (imo) is Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero, High-score Girl and Dorohedoro are also pretty good, and though i haven't watched it yet Land Of The Lustrust trailer looks wonderful
DigiCat is on Vacation!
May 24, 4:07 PM

Jul 2013
People care mostly about the art style rather than literary content of anime tbh...
May 24, 4:18 PM

Apr 2024
The OP will be most likely very surprised to learn that cinema with good writing generally has good production values and vice versa. Exceptions are so well known, it is not even worth mentioning them.
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 24, 5:44 PM
Feb 2014
I voted for 2D regular, since that's my preferred animation style. It doesn't need to be mind blowing or amazing as long as it looks decent (i draw the line if it gets to the atrocious levels of the last few episodes of Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou, those who've seen it will know what i'm talking about....)

I usually avoid fully CGI anime, though, if something really interests me, i will make an exception and still watch it. (same for slideshows i guess, since i still want to watch Gokushufudou/The way of the househusband for example.)

Also what's a 2.5D anime? Do you have any examples of such?

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
May 24, 6:15 PM

Mar 2023
So I'm a Spider, So What? a fantastic concept and story but shitty animation.
May 24, 6:49 PM

Jan 2020
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni has a subpar animation (at times even horrible) but the story is incredibly well done. By far my favorite horror story.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
May 24, 9:14 PM

Feb 2016
I willingly watched Cat Eyed Boy which is a slideshow. @DigiCat I recommend this one. It is by the creator of the chicken manga I previously recommended.
その目だれの目?
May 25, 1:46 AM

May 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
I willingly watched Cat Eyed Boy which is a slideshow. @DigiCat I recommend this one. It is by the creator of the chicken manga I previously recommended.
@Lucifrost Thanks for the rec :D

Btw do you know where to watch? I can only find first 3 eps :')
DigiCat is on Vacation!
May 25, 6:57 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to DigiCat
@Lucifrost Thanks for the rec :D

Btw do you know where to watch? I can only find first 3 eps :')
@DigiCat
The episodes you found are the only ones subbed. I watched several raw episodes on youtube, but I was never able to find the whole thing. It is considered an extremely rare anime.
その目だれの目?
May 25, 7:03 AM

May 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
@DigiCat
The episodes you found are the only ones subbed. I watched several raw episodes on youtube, but I was never able to find the whole thing. It is considered an extremely rare anime.
@Lucifrost Got it 👍 I'll practice so as to be able to watch it raw
DigiCat is on Vacation!
May 25, 11:15 AM

Jul 2013
It is hard to find an anime with a better story than its artwork tbh...
May 25, 11:41 AM

Apr 2021
Hoshi no koe was great to watch. So i think i wouldn't have much problem watching anything with a good story but horrible animation.

Also you gotta understand that sometimes studios intentionally do "bad" animation like the way of the househusband you mentioned for comedic purposes. Kaminaki sekai no kamisama katsudou might be another example. I wouldn't wanna say that those have bad animations. Parody is parody.

(And no fucking way ex-arm was 10/10 worthy)
May 25, 1:04 PM
Jan 2022
Kingdom's first 2 seasons definitely have better writing than animation by leaps and bounds. The seasons after that aswell but more because of the peak writing,

More topics from this board

» Why is anime so dead rn? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MercurialAlien - Jul 20

239 by Mathi786 »»
4 seconds ago

» To the people who have a mean score under 6 , are you happy?

Zakatsuki_ - 2 hours ago

18 by BigBoyAdvance »»
36 seconds ago

» I've been watching Anime since 2011, is it wrong for me to think the medium is a bunch of wasted potential?

anizawa89 - 38 minutes ago

7 by anizawa89 »»
52 seconds ago

» What do you think about 00s anime?

RobertBobert - 9 hours ago

19 by Tablekun »»
5 minutes ago

» LOLI IS PEDO

Zakatsuki_ - 26 minutes ago

10 by FanofAction »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.