Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 20, 2010 3:10 AM

Sep 2009
k0k0 said:
ramenbuoy said:

@k0k0 do you prefer MPC or MPC HC? and why?

I've never used HC before since I watch all the anime on my laptop. It's there on my desktop and when I tried it, I didn't find much difference compared to the original one.
But as I use MPC, it's my preference.

@Algirdyz
I never got into VLC. I find it more annoying to operate (You can't pause with the space bar). And the lime green is painful to the eyes.
To each his own.

What lime green? And you can pause with space bar, its on default. :P
No sig :(
Jan 20, 2010 3:12 AM

Aug 2009
Definitely worth it. Better quality, no lag, you only have to download once (as supposed to streaming, if you want to watch it again, you have to stream it AGAIN), and you can keep it on your HDD or just delete it. Really just more options.

Along with the majority of everyone else, I use Media Player Classic with CCCP. Just makes the animation and overall video run smoothly.
Jan 20, 2010 3:13 AM

May 2009
Algirdyz said:

I lol'd. It's like he's using VLC in Bizarro World. Isn't the space bar the default pause key for both VLC and MPC? I'm pretty sure key mapping doesn't require a degree either. =/
Jan 20, 2010 3:16 AM

Aug 2009
xxxHolic_Waltz said:
Algirdyz said:

I lol'd. It's like he's using VLC in Bizarro World. Isn't the space bar the default pause key for both VLC and MPC? I'm pretty sure key mapping doesn't require a degree either. =/

It wasn't for me.
And the window IS a shade of dark lime green.
The name is 'VLC Player'.

MPC all the way. Even if VLC wasn't lime green and had space bar as default for pause.
Jan 20, 2010 3:56 AM

May 2009
k0k0 said:
It wasn't for me.
And the window IS a shade of dark lime green.
The name is 'VLC Player'.

MPC all the way. Even if VLC wasn't lime green and had space bar as default for pause.

Sure, sure... (not really) It's actually called VLC media player. It's possible that you had a theme on, had an error, remembered incorrectly about the player/features, or were on crack. XD

Just a thought.

I've yet to run into the above mentioned issues with VLC, but I've got MPC and all required Codecs for my needs as a back up anyway.
Jan 20, 2010 7:27 AM

Jun 2009
k0k0 said:

@Algirdyz
I never got into VLC. I find it more annoying to operate (You can't pause with the space bar). And the lime green is painful to the eyes.
To each his own.

You can pause with VLC, it's the default button. Also, no lime green text.

Jan 20, 2010 7:54 AM

Jul 2008
Downloading is definitely worth it, especially if you plan on rewatching something. Many ISPs are imposing monthly bandwith limits on their customers. If you download something you have it, if you stream and want to watch it again you have to stream again and waste bandwith.

And let's not even talk about the quality, or if you own a laptop and travel, being able to watch anime when you have no access to the net.

I use:

- utorrent for DLing
- Media Player Classic for playback
- 1 TB hard drive for storage

My hard drive was $99, so basically cheap and totally worth it. I love it being able to have a collection I can just pull up.

Before that, I didn't have a lot of space so I had to burn series to DVD and then delete them, but now I'll have to go back and rip those DVDs and get everything onto the hard drive again ;_____; lolz.

Also, I used to swear by VCL player because I could just download it and didn't have to worry about installing codecs any further. But the typeset it uses is fugly (and I wasn't sure how to change it,) it fucks with the timing on the subtitles and every once in a while will either freeze or skin frames or get pixelated for no reason.

Media Player Classic does no such thing and will also play .ogg or .ogm files, which VCL didn't, and of course plays .mkvs flawlessly. Love it.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Jan 20, 2010 8:07 AM

Jan 2010
Nika-senpai said:
Media Player Classic does no such thing and will also play .ogg or .ogm files, which VCL didn't, and of course plays .mkvs flawlessly. Love it.

VLC lists OGM/OGG support, so are you talking about problems playing back? Or an old version of VLC?
Jan 20, 2010 8:20 AM

May 2009
Nadian said:
Nika-senpai said:

VLC lists OGM/OGG support, so are you talking about problems playing back? Or an old version of VLC?

I was about to say, that must have been was some time ago.
Jan 20, 2010 8:40 AM

Dec 2007
Nika-senpai said:
Downloading is definitely worth it, especially if you plan on rewatching something. Many ISPs are imposing monthly bandwith limits on their customers. If you download something you have it, if you stream and want to watch it again you have to stream again and waste bandwith.

And let's not even talk about the quality, or if you own a laptop and travel, being able to watch anime when you have no access to the net.

I use:

- utorrent for DLing

My hard drive was $99, so basically cheap and totally worth it. I love it being able to have a collection I can just pull up.

Before that, I didn't have a lot of space so I had to burn series to DVD and then delete them, but now I'll have to go back and rip those DVDs and get everything onto the hard drive again ;_____; lolz.

Also, I used to swear by VCL player because I could just download it and didn't have to worry about installing codecs any further. But the typeset it uses is fugly (and I wasn't sure how to change it,) it fucks with the timing on the subtitles and every once in a while will either freeze or skin frames or get pixelated for no reason.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Oh and I hated the seeking bar. You couldn't precisely go to where you want >.<.

VLC is designed to play virtually anything. Even those files you mentioned. I keep it around when MPC can't play things (rare). My VLC player is the old version so back then MPC was godly compared to VLC and thus I stuck with MPC.

Looking at the above screenshot it seems they had done some upgrades but it's too late. MPC was good back then and is still good now.
Jan 20, 2010 9:11 AM

Jun 2009
Day2Dream said:
Nika-senpai said:

I use:

- utorrent for DLing

Pretty much what I was going to say. Oh and I hated the seeking bar. You couldn't precisely go to where you want >.<.

VLC is designed to play virtually anything. Even those files you mentioned. I keep it around when MPC can't play things (rare). My VLC player is the old version so back then MPC was godly compared to VLC and thus I stuck with MPC.

Looking at the above screenshot it seems they had done some upgrades but it's too late. MPC was good back then and is still good now.

Too bad MPC doesnt play anything on my computer. Fuck sake. I'd like to use it as I heard it's better than VLC for watching anime but it NEVER works for me, even with CCCP. I'm on W7 64-Bit so that might be why. If anyone has a 100% sure-fire solution to me not being able to play anything with MPC, I'll use it. Also Day2Dream, VLC has been like that for as long as I can remember (back in the v0.8 days, referring to my screenshot). At the moment, I use VLC and K-Lite Codec Pack, runs everything perfectly fine. Although I am getting sick of VLC.
Jan 20, 2010 9:45 AM

Aug 2007
Why the hell would anybody want to play a .ogg file on a video player in the first place?
Jan 20, 2010 10:24 AM

Sep 2009
there are some old anime on torrent trackers in this format
Jan 20, 2010 10:45 AM

Jan 2010
Algirdyz said:
there are some old anime on torrent trackers in this format

I think he's referring to the general concept of playing music files on a video player.

I only offer two points:

1) They generally label themselves as "media" players, not "video" players...

2) It's good practice to support audio files since they are a simpler case of being able to support audio from video files. (The same audio codecs are generally used in both audio and video files, they differ mostly in format of the wrapper.)
Jan 20, 2010 11:32 AM

Apr 2008
To me it isn't my computer is really slow...I only download anime if I can't find anywhere that streams it..usually through torrents. But I can usually find all the streaming sites I need so I don't really download that often. If I do download I have an external hard drive I can store it on so it doesn't take up space on my computer, there isn't much space on it to begin with. Though if I like an anime well enough instead of having my slow computer take weeks and weeks to download a whole season or a day to download an episode I just buy the anime instead. The only thing I don't like about downloading is sometimes bad quality, misleading links, bad subs and viruses.
Jan 20, 2010 5:35 PM

Sep 2009
Tyestor said:
OP is a troll.

lilla said:
I tried VLC, but I found it REALLY increased the time on streaming sites.
I couldnt put up with it.

Definitely a troll.

Zalis said:

Nadian said:
I believe that VLC should be able to play practically anything you throw at it, regardless of your OS. (Windows, Mac, Linux.)
Good luck in getting VLC to play .mkvs with the OP/ED in separate linked files, AKA "Ordered Chapters." Those are becoming more and more common in fansub releases today.

It works fine.

Uhm what.
No, not a troll at all. :I
Just because I didn't like VLC doesn't mean I'm a troll.

I'm honest.

Anyway, I gave up on downloading for now.
Hard drive = small to the point that it can't handle it.
Jan 20, 2010 5:51 PM
Jul 2009
I use CCCP + CoreAVC on MPC to watch anime, for me 350 mb mkv encodes (most anime airing is relased that way nowadays) are the way to go, as i don't have a full HD TV and anyways i think that's overkill.
I generally always try to get the best quality avaible, as i have unlimited bandwith (that or i've never gotten past it, i've never been bugged about that by my ISP).
Jan 20, 2010 5:55 PM

Jul 2008
Baman said:
Really now, let's consider some of the facts...
m-boy said:
Can you delete an episode after watching it?
Are 1TB (external) harddrives less than 100 dollars/euros nowadays?
Are CCCP and µtorrent free?

I don't get what's not worth it? All that eyecandy.
So there you have it.

The only question worth pondering might be whether or not BlueRay rips are worth it or not. It does get a bit ridiculous when a single movie like FFVII AC or the NGE Rebuilds take about 6GB.

In general though, I'd say it all depends on whether or not the visuals are a major aspect of the series. Many comedy series like Cromartie, School Rumble and SZS (if it wasn't for it's frequent artsyness) doesn't emphasize the visuals that much so you should be able to enjoy the series just fine with ordinary DVD rips, or even streaming if you really want.
But series the pride themselves with high quality art like GitS:SAC, Cowboy Bebop and most films would be simply ridiculous to watch in anything less than the best option, and especially if it's stuff like the NGE Rebuilds or KnK that is pretty much all about the graphics.

This.

And imo do not stream ever, download even if you have to delete the episode right after having watch it.
Having an internet limit or watching on a Pc who's not yours is the only reason ever I'll accept someone streaming.
Jan 20, 2010 6:04 PM

Jul 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Why the hell would anybody want to play a .ogg file on a video player in the first place?

I'm not familiar with codes and containers, beyond knowing that MKVs are awesome and how to play them, lol. :x There were a couple animes I downloaded with these extensions. Angelic Layer as .ogm and Records of Lodoss War, I think, as .ogg. I don't really know what it means as I have never seen these formats before then.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Jan 20, 2010 10:41 PM

Jan 2010
uTorrent and MPC with CCCP codec and you're set to go.
I think it's a shame not to download your shows if you have the means to do so, since the quality is just improved vastly.
If torrenting isn't your thing, you can always download directly from a number of sites.

Jan 20, 2010 11:04 PM

Jun 2009
lilla said:
Tyestor said:
OP is a troll.

lilla said:
I tried VLC, but I found it REALLY increased the time on streaming sites.
I couldnt put up with it.

Definitely a troll.

Zalis said:

Nadian said:
I believe that VLC should be able to play practically anything you throw at it, regardless of your OS. (Windows, Mac, Linux.)
Good luck in getting VLC to play .mkvs with the OP/ED in separate linked files, AKA "Ordered Chapters." Those are becoming more and more common in fansub releases today.

It works fine.

Uhm what.
No, not a troll at all. :I
Just because I didn't like VLC doesn't mean I'm a troll.

I'm honest.

Anyway, I gave up on downloading for now.
Hard drive = small to the point that it can't handle it.

I was referring to your comment on watching streams through VLC.
loghneckbeardJan 21, 2010 4:33 AM
Jan 21, 2010 1:41 AM

Feb 2008
its so worth it!
-= Quote of the week=- "To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction." -Isaac Newton
Jan 21, 2010 4:51 AM

Nov 2009
I dont think its worth not downloading ^_-

Jan 21, 2010 5:02 AM
Jan 2010
I've got around 900gb dumped onto a folder on a storage folder.

The number of series I've rewatched? None.

Is downloading anime worth it? It is for the quality but when you're talking about rewatching, it's probably never going to happen.
Jan 21, 2010 5:26 AM

Sep 2009
I agree, I have like 300gb of anime, I watched liked half of it, never rewatched :D
But I like collecting them, therefore, I will never delete it :D

It is also good to get screenshots :D in topics like Screenshot war :D
Jan 21, 2010 5:35 AM

May 2008
Downloading anime is the best shit !
it has great quality unlike streaming sites, which gives u shitty quality and spoiling your eyesight.

and those of you who said downloading anime is not worth it ;
it's because you're giving stupid reasons like ''it takes up a lot of storage space ; that'll be a waste of time'' yada yada

But what i'm trying to say now is : Downloading anime is SO worth it.

So, download anime now !
Jan 21, 2010 7:28 PM

Jun 2007
maxime1007 said:
Having an internet limit or watching on a Pc who's not yours is the only reason ever I'll accept someone streaming.
What about "wanting to contribute a little something to the anime industry by watching legal streaming anime"? Is that a valid reason?

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Jan 21, 2010 7:58 PM

Aug 2007
Zalis said:
maxime1007 said:
What about "wanting to contribute a little something to the anime industry by watching legal streaming anime"? Is that a valid reason?

No. Because Crunchyroll fucking sucks.
Jan 21, 2010 8:05 PM

Jul 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Zalis said:
maxime1007 said:

No. Because Crunchyroll fucking sucks.

What Samurai said.

If you want to fucking contribute then buy the DVD otherwise gtfo. Contributing when it's free is the more half assed and useless way to contribute ever
Jan 25, 2010 3:10 AM

Apr 2009
For me, yeah, but only shows that can't be found streamed with good quality (Gintama, for example. Damn it.), or that have really beautiful backgrounds and stuff (Sora no woto), or are just so damn good it would be a blasphemy to watch ugly streams (FMA Brotherhood).
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jan 25, 2010 3:33 AM

Jun 2009
Depends..

If I really like the series, I usually download all the episodes for re-watching purposes.
Jan 25, 2010 3:39 AM

Jan 2010
i think it's worth downloading i always do then put them on to dvds 15 episodes a disk doesnt reduce the quality
Jan 25, 2010 6:53 AM
Oct 2009
For me no it isn't I only have 4% free space on my computer so if I must have it I'll download of youtube for only 15MB instead of 176MB.
Jan 25, 2010 7:42 AM

Jun 2009
papapapuffy said:
For me no it isn't I only have 4% free space on my computer so if I must have it I'll download of youtube for only 15MB instead of 176MB.

Not really, It only takes 50-70 Mb for me in each anime episode. It's an FLV by the way and I assume that the 15MB size you're mentioning is only part 1 of the whole episode.
Jan 25, 2010 8:02 AM

Jun 2009
yeah, especially the uncensored version of Seikon No Qwaser. :D
Jan 25, 2010 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
BakaBT + CCCP + Utorrent = Win

I used to download my anime via usenet but I can only find the more popular ones on there...
Jan 25, 2010 9:06 AM

Aug 2007
Quasar_Aaron said:
papapapuffy said:

Not really, It only takes 50-70 Mb for me in each anime episode. It's an FLV by the way and I assume that the 15MB size you're mentioning is only part 1 of the whole episode.

Must be really shit quality if they are at low.
Jan 26, 2010 8:18 AM

Jun 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
Quasar_Aaron said:

Must be really shit quality if they are at low.

The important thing is, it's watchable. I don't really care much about quality. I would care about it if I had a bigger HDD but since I don't have one, gotta bear with this for awhile.
Jan 26, 2010 8:30 AM

Oct 2007
My parents used to turn our internet connection off between 1am and 2.30am, so if I was reading manga scans online or watching anime streams, I would be cut off without warning. It was frustrating.
So I prefer downloading.

It doesn't matter so mch now, since I live alone in an apartment in Japan with complete control of my internet access. The speeds are so much better here than in the UK (more expensive too though ^^; ) so I find I can download more.
So much so that I filled up my 500GB harddrive within 3 months of getting the internet installed here.

Downloading means you can watch whenever you want, the quality is better, you have a choice of fansub groups, you can see a greater variety (old, unavailable commerically or streaming animes can be found).

External HDD are amazing, and worth the money. I got 500GB one for £55, but my boyfriend went back later and got a 1TB one of the same brand for £50.

Check out SunnyCon! The North-East of England's newest and biggest convention of anime, manga and Japanese culture!
Now a club on MAL too!

Jan 26, 2010 8:43 AM

May 2008
I understand why some people even so much as stream. Quality comes at a price.
The more quality you want, the more lucky, time, effort, and money you need.

If you don't have high end internet access, setting your torrent slots in a way that you can grab a decent seed, you will not be able to browse the internet. And if you like to browse the internet that's a significant disadvantage. And you can do it while you're sleeping, if you don't have looming people who need to use the internet sometime while you sleep.

Streaming is horrible too, though. You don't get hardly any quality. And yet, downloading is just as problematic and less impulsive. At least if you don't download, you get to be impulsive. If you torrent or ect., it requires investment and effort to get what you need and you need to know you want it bad enough to invest that effort. If you just kinda want to watch something, there's no point in downloading it.

I have a 1TB external hard drive myself, and it's already almost halfway full and I haven't even moved everything onto it yet. In a couple of years I estimate I'll need a 5TB or more Hard Drive.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 26, 2010 9:59 AM

Jul 2007
It's totaly worth it. Usually its (much) better quality and the ability to burn dvd's with your favorite shows (or delete them to save space) give you more freedom. And the best; You can watch them without having a internet connection ;-).
Jan 26, 2010 10:11 AM

May 2008
But you also have to worry about hard drive failure and every other thing that would set you back to square one.

Jan 26, 2010 1:05 PM
Aug 2009
Depends on how much you care about quality. Personally, I think it's a waste not to watch the show in good quality, but it's just depends on your opinion.

Jan 26, 2010 1:16 PM
Nov 2009
how do u dl files cuz every time i try it does play it or error or something comes up :@
wat are the website to use to dl anime
if possible mp4 files so i can store them on my psp to watch on my travels
Jan 26, 2010 4:15 PM

May 2008
kevinsllama said:
Depends on how much you care about quality. Personally, I think it's a waste not to watch the show in good quality, but it's just depends on your opinion.

Especially as crisp as anime is nowadays. You just can't watch a crisp moe show or anything otherwise visually appealing without going for sharp quality.

Chi's Sweet Home and a few other things aren't so bad in streaming.

Jan 26, 2010 5:08 PM

Aug 2007
If the show is easily available on dvd, then I buy the set or rent a volume from netflix.

That said, I've been downloading more often because the shows I'm watching were not released into the states.

It's a matter of personal preference, it's convenient for people with high-speed 6-10MBS connections and 1TB HDD's, but not everyone has those nice things.

Jan 26, 2010 5:09 PM

Feb 2009
Download all the way!!!

I just hate streaming. With my old and slow computer, the wait feels like hours when watching stream anime

Jan 26, 2010 7:14 PM

Jan 2010
I go to Bakabt to download a lot of anime, because they have almost everything of every anime out there. (all episodes jap/eng dub w/ or w/o subs, OST, OVAs, movies, etc.
And the biggest I've seen an anime take up was 5GB and thats all 4 season included.

But is it worth it? Yes. All I watch them on is
.VLP media player (amazing)
.Windows Media Player
Jan 26, 2010 7:27 PM

Jan 2010
Most of the time, I don't download anime, since I don't really care about quality (its ok as long as it clear). The only time I download is if its not available or unreadable(especially the subs) otherwise.
Score Criteria:
Jan 26, 2010 9:19 PM

Dec 2008
I don't download that much right now, but i say it must be worth it 'cause you'll always have it on your computer to watch XDD

& &
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Should anime girls have matching bra + panties?

Catalano - Yesterday

27 by DesuMaiden »»
26 seconds ago

» Which anime in the top 10, deserves the love?

Spoonmaster12 - Nov 18, 2021

47 by oooo3333 »»
53 seconds ago

» Does anybody else not read manga because they don't know Japanese?

ForgotEyeWasHere - 7 hours ago

24 by Lucifrost »»
1 minute ago

» Have you ever fought the World for your Waifu?

BerriesSan - 35 minutes ago

4 by Commit_Crime »»
3 minutes ago

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast? ( 1 2 )

Rally- - Yesterday

60 by DoisacChopper »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.