Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 1, 2021 9:05 PM

Aug 2019
Fuck bro these episodes can be so good and funny sometimes, so good that i forget like 3-4 episodes ago Shinji was on the verge of snapping like a twig after being thrown head first into hell. Compared to the others, this one was definitely a more joyess and upbeat episode. Having Asuka and Shinji live together, and build teamwork was entertaining, and that small clip of Rei and Shinji having much better teamwork abilities of the bat, says a lot... Oh well, interested to see how intense the whiplash will be from here forwards.

Honestly, i don't even mind Asuka's character, her bossy attitude and straight tsundere status is what makes her character differ and more unique from the others, and although there pairing seems like shit, Shinji and Asuka can have some pretty good chemistry. Interested to see more of them.

Also i fucking find it hilarious that they have a built in rotary phone outside the Units. Like i can only see the pilots using them on super rare occasions, but the fact that there are literal phone built in with an interface and everything, just hits my funny spot.
Mar 8, 2021 3:36 PM

Mar 2010
Wow Asuka is annoying and yikes the almost kiss. lmao at misato and kaiji
Mar 21, 2021 11:38 AM

Jun 2020
Renewing my dislike of tsunderes

But what's up with Asuka and her mom
Mar 26, 2021 10:37 PM

Jun 2016
Really though, why didn't they have Shinji team up with Rei? At least they don't hate each other.
May 4, 2021 6:29 PM

Apr 2021
Kaji is a misogynistic prick, Asuka and Shinji adhere to a really dumb plan, and Israfel does the funni

5/5
May 8, 2021 12:14 PM

Aug 2017
My favourite episode by far. I like how they had to live together to be in unison!
May 8, 2021 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
6:22. You're welcome:

This has more forum comments than the first episode, wow. And I can see why. Definitely my favorite episode so far. Gorgeous animation during that battle sequence. No wonder Gainax blew their budget and had to use limited animation in the latter half of the series.

I kind of regret ranting about things being platonic in the last forums. That was so out of character for Shinji to nearly kiss Asuka in her sleep, that totally caught me off guard. I'm a bit disappointed in that scene, and yet it was executed so wonderfully with the reverse tape effect to add suspense. I wish it didn't happen and yet I cannot deny the cinematic beauty

But the ending dialogue was golden, lmao. "You were awake!?" Perfect way to end the episode.
I liked the added background laughter of the NERV employees.

I could care less about the Misato/Kaji plot point though. I find that stuff irrelevant.

A+ episode, though. Lots of good screenshots. (Omfg and I'm not referring to the fan service I swear. I mean it was aesthetic... I - I swear...)
removed-userMay 8, 2021 9:21 PM
Jun 6, 2021 5:41 AM
May 2012
I really enjoyed this episode. It was fun! Also very cute 'I love you' at the end.
Jun 9, 2021 4:31 AM

Apr 2020
Ok that's one of the coolest mecha fight I've ever seen. Especially that backflip!!

Their quarrel at the end was so funny XD
Jul 24, 2021 10:10 PM
Jul 2021
Kaji is shaping up to be a prick, I knew my vibes from last ep were correct.

I really like that Shinji is becoming more of a regular kid, and it's fun that he and Rei were so synchronized right off the bat.

The argument at the end was hilarious. Loved that this episode was some good light-hearted stuff for now.
Aug 8, 2021 11:05 AM

Apr 2020
Yeah okay this was really bad 💀 If it was comedy, it was unfunny. If it was not comedy, it was too ridiculous.
I have committed war crimes in Yugoslavia
Aug 10, 2021 3:28 PM

Jan 2021
That fight scene was so majestic man but that back flip tho
Sep 8, 2021 12:08 PM
Feb 2016
Asuka is so insufferable. The battles were less than mediocre. Only Shinji saved this episode somewhat.
Nov 7, 2021 1:39 AM

Aug 2020
Damn is Asuka so damn annoying. Do I have to endure her until the end? Damn.

Too early for the Kiss? They only just met.

Also, that goofy fight at the end. I would love to see a more serious episode.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 23, 2021 9:08 AM
Nov 2020
This episode is necessary. You can see Asuka's character when she feels easily depressed when she couldn't make it with Shinji, and her tears when sleeping, having a dream about her mother.
Dec 14, 2021 11:16 PM

May 2019
I got pretty annoyed with Asuka, she's so bratty. However, she is badass in her Eva.

Shinji's character development is coming along nicely. He's got so much more confidence!

It was so funny how they were dressed the same and saying the same things and so embarrassed!

Damn, these kids are so lost, lonely and sad.

Ballet backflips lol.
Jan 2, 2022 8:09 AM

Jul 2021
The scenes that Asuka and Shinji discuss are very funny. In the end, everything worked out and they managed to get in sync.
asdasdsadad
Jan 10, 2022 9:45 PM

Mar 2018
Kaji an absolute king, you love to see it

Jan 30, 2022 6:51 AM

Aug 2020
Why does Shinji listen to music while sleeping? And also why did he try to kiss Asuka? They definitely like each other; Asuka getting mad when Rei was about to take her place and randomly sleeping with Shinji hmm...

The arguing at the end was so cute lol I love those two <3
Jan 31, 2022 7:39 AM

Feb 2021
Asuka's kinda annoying ngl lol. She's doesn't seem to be a tsundere either.

Why isn't Misato putting her foot down from that playboy Kaji playing with her feelings like that?

I think Rei and Shinji are better fighting pairs.

◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
"Everything I've witnessed... This whole system you have built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough, yeah? I don't care if you don't understand... That's what makes us... Heroes and Villains."
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
Mar 30, 2022 12:52 AM

Dec 2021
really love asuka and shinji's bickering, kaji goated as usual, that 62 second sequence was so smooth
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 6, 2022 2:56 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 18, 2022 7:51 PM

Oct 2020
This was a fun episode, though I still don't really get the hype behind Asuka
She seems so unlikable unless you're a fan of loud tsunderes..?
And even the class rep getting mad at Shinji-- how was it his fault that Rei was able to sync with his movements more effectively than Asuka??
Misato should have just had Rei and Shinji take care of the Angel and save everyone the headache of dealing with Asuka's outbursts.
I admit that the synchronized battle was very fun and I liked getting to hear the music they were practicing to, but I feel like Shinji's just going to end up being Asuka's punching bag for the rest of the show and it'll be seen as 'comedy' ?
Jun 28, 2022 7:48 AM

Dec 2007
previous episodes i though asuka was pretty annoying, but she's becoming more and more likeable.
that dancing battle at the end was very amusing lol.

that almost kiss and then "mommy" wast disturbing. lol
misatku and shinji though were hot.
i'm feeling that only rei is left behind.
Sep 4, 2022 9:08 AM
May 2020
I didn't like Asuka at all, she looked annoying and childish, but I liked the synchronization of Shinji and Rei.
Sep 12, 2022 12:03 PM
Oct 2018
Asuka wtf!!!!!!!!!
Sep 18, 2022 10:37 PM
Aug 2022
oo wow i really liked that scene where eva 01 and 02 were syncing together with classical music, it just fits with 90s animation; wouldn't have the same effect today. also i really enjoyed the bickering between asuka and shinji, as it really humanized them a lot more, especially shinji, and i mean.. it's also pretty funny especially in the end when they mess up.
but it is a 4 star episode but i couldn't stand that sleepwalking/kissing/fanservice scene. we had multiple of these damn fanservice/suggestive scenes revolving around MIDDLE SCHOOLERS multiple times yet i still cannot get used to it, and i shouldn't, because this kind of sh-t shouldn't be normalized. i really like evangelion so far, but this fanservice is gonna knock a point off most likely.
Oct 3, 2022 5:15 AM
Oct 2022
how could she cheat on me
Oct 3, 2022 5:16 AM
Aug 2022
you just like me fr
Oct 6, 2022 12:31 AM

Jul 2022
Couples in both places are heating up in the same night, you know what I saying?
Oct 22, 2022 2:39 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
It's satisfying, but it feels so weird seeing them finally dealing with an angel without having their evas totally destroyed

Loved this episode.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 11, 2022 4:06 PM
Jul 2022
Around 15:35 his eyes noticeably shift upwards XD
Nov 21, 2022 7:38 AM

Aug 2020
shinji a better man than me fr

kajis a dick tho lmao

still have a lack of rei in action

Dec 2, 2022 3:51 PM
Apr 2022
good sexual innuendo but not the best plot
Dec 19, 2022 10:24 AM
Sep 2022
the ending was too funny, really love the duo!
Dec 26, 2022 10:33 PM

Jan 2022
“Your lips or your words, which one should I trust?”

I have always respected Shinji for his decision to not make out with Asuka. Yeah, we have the benefit of knowing she probably wanted it, after all the walls of Jericho did famously fall down right? But in an ambiguous situation like that, it’s always best to listen to someone’s mouth if it’s very clearly saying “no”. Asuka is very clearly all over the place mentally anyway. Best to leave her alone rather than over complicating a relationship by adding sex to it.

Unlike you Mr. Kaji I got my eye on you.
-insert NGE meme here-
Dec 29, 2022 11:11 PM

Jul 2021
yo where's my depression? why am i laughing watching eva episodes?

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 10, 2023 12:06 PM
May 2021
Este episodio estuvo goooooood
Jan 13, 2023 11:22 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 23, 2023 12:33 AM

Mar 2016
If it's ridiculous but works, it isn't ridiculous. Probably the best way of summing up the battle at the end. With everything going on, pretty sure it would've taken more than 62 seconds, but it was an impressive montage while being set to the music for that little extra immersion......just a shame they both screwed up the final landing :P

The unison training must've been working well if Shinji had gone from dispising Asuka to straight trying to sneak a kiss on her (still want to know what that track is he constantly listens to). The other confusing part about that scene though is why did Asuka go to the toilet only to then flop asleep not only in the room Shinji was in, but right next to him? Wondering if we'll get to see more of her childish side like that...although doubt she'll ever own up to it.

The guy complains about the pilots making NERV look like fools, but what do you expect?! You've got 14 year olds going through puberty with naff all military training and discipling weilding your ace weapons. Do they really expect them NOT to behave their age? :P
Feb 3, 2023 10:35 PM

Feb 2020
Seeing Asuka and shinji fight together was equally cool as it was funny LOL

Feb 11, 2023 10:49 PM

Jul 2022
Misato, tantito de amor propio hija... Y 62 segundos hermosos. So the pervert being discovered

Mar 2, 2023 1:02 AM
Mar 2023
i love this show also mommy misato
Mar 19, 2023 7:54 AM
Jun 2014
This episode bothered me, admittedly.

Why risk an important mission on Asuka and Shinji's cooperation, when they clearly aren't ready? Why not just use Rei until they're more coordinated? Why force it so soon, and risk the success of this mission? Misato even said in the episode, "When it comes to our survival, we don't get to choose" - doesn't that go for this as well? Isn't there a higher chance of overall survival , lower risk of injury, higher chance of success, if you used Rei instead of Asuka? Just seems like a ridiculous excuse to get these two to interact more, but PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

Then there's Shinji being a creep. I'm not sure what would make him want to spend his, probably, first kiss on a sleeping girl he hates. But I suppose that's him being a teenager?

And Asuka is incredibly rude and entitled. I'm really hoping her character gets more likable, because someone needs to knock her down a few pegs and remind her to control her attitude. This is life or death, not a game.

Again, really hoping the anime doesn't keep going in this direction, because even though in the beginning I was starting to understand why people praise it - now I'm going back to doubting it. What happened to episode 2 or 3 with the reveal that "the Eva have biological insides"? What about the horrific aspect that teenagers are forced to risk their lives like soldiers? What about the mysteries involved, like "what are angels?" and "why is the world like this?" and "what was the second impact they keep talking about? Does that mean there was a FIRST impact?" There are so many questions and mysteries, and they've been put on hold in favor of... this.

It just feels ridiculous that we're focusing on this stubborn entitled German girl, who hasn't been given any real depth, and forcing her to get along with Shinji when it's clearly too soon for them to be working together. And I really hope this girl learns how to be professional, because she's extremely rude and Shinji doesn't deserve to deal with her. In all their arguments, HE was right, and SHE was just making excuses because of her stubborn pride. (Except the kissing thing. Shinji deserved the smack over the head for that.)

SERIOUSLY hoping things get better. Really hoping there's a satisfying point to all this ridiculousness.
Apr 2, 2023 3:18 PM
May 2021
funny episote kissing little kids 1!1!1!1! (no homo)
May 8, 2023 5:49 PM
Nov 2022
I am watching the English dub and Asuka is so annoying. But the show knows this so it’s not really a complaint. All in all it was alright, not too interesting but it was good development.
May 25, 2023 7:07 PM
Apr 2020
Banger episode, loved the dynamic between Shinji and Asuka and the fight at the end was really satisfying to watch
Jun 13, 2023 9:28 AM
Aug 2020
i like this episode; the arguing is cute
Jun 15, 2023 5:26 PM
Feb 2023
it was funny. thats really it.
Jun 24, 2023 6:50 PM

Mar 2022
This was a really funny episode after all the serious stuff of the early episodes we get some light hearted fun with this one. Asuka is quickly becoming a great character, Shinji is having to pair up with her not just to destroy that Angel but live with her as well. The EVA battle with the ballet music was pretty much a highlight for this episode, the arguing was hilarious especially at the end with Shinji being called a pervert. 
Not sure I’m liking Ryoji he just seems a douchebag to me. I really hope Misato doesn’t get back with him in the next couple of episodes if the activity in the elevator was anything to go by.
Plus we got to learn a bit about Asuka’s past when she was asleep there and man that kiss is definitely something, must be a complicated past for her, you can bet on that.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

176 by Pakutto »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - May 10, 2008

165 by Pakutto »»
Yesterday, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Feb 6, 2008

274 by kyota521306 »»
Sep 19, 9:21 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

169 by Pakutto »»
Sep 18, 6:07 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

206 by therealnagora »»
Sep 17, 2:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.