Forum Settings
Forums

What old Anime you wish others have watched more?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 21, 2022 7:43 AM

Mar 2017
almightybismarck said:
mwalimu said:

The initial western release of "Nausicaa" was a hack job under the title "Warriors of the Wind" that cut more than 20 minutes from the film, in addition to changing all the character names, and promoting it with poster/cover art that featured three male characters who don't even appear in the film. This treatment is what drove Studio Ghibli to adopt an international licensing policy of no cuts, and no changing character names. Nowadays you seldom see character names changed in international/western releases and I sometimes wonder if it would be a lot more common if it hadn't been for Studio Ghibli taking a stand 30+ years ago.

Holy sh!t that is one way to butcher a simple job.

Thankfully, more recent releases of "Nausicaa" are faithful to the original, while WotW has become little more than a historical footnote.

This is something I look out for with any anime that aired outside of Japan prior to the early 2000s, as a lot of it was significantly altered. Sometimes it was for content that Japan was okay with but it clashed with 'western sensibilities', e.g. the 'kissing cousins' in "Sailor Moon". Other times it was an attempt to give it more 'shounen appeal' to attract more male viewers (don't get me started on what they did to "Cardcaptor Sakura"). If I'm going to watch an anime that's aired in the west, I'll make certain to find the original uncut work.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Mar 21, 2022 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
if time bokan were to get just a little more attention, the franchise could receive english bluray releases!
Mar 21, 2022 10:02 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Sakuta002766 said:
ryo-san said:
Kindaichi case files and Kochikame both from 1996 so more than 20 years old...

This!! I like these two anime.
Sad that they aren't popular outside of Japan.

Recommendation
you have seen hajime kindaichi talking about his grandpa all the time, ever thought how his grandpa solved case?

Read the kosuke kindaichi novels or watch the live action series and the movies the devil comes playing the flute and gokumontu Island.
He is much more intense and not laid back like hajime kindaichi.
The settings is mid 1920s after the war. Kosuke returns from war to solve cases.

Mar 21, 2022 12:22 PM
May 2021
almightybismarck said:
Slimsith said:

Robot Carnival is a musical masterpiece, with perfect animation to go alongside the visuals, the short stories and the theme of robots used. To this day, there's been nothing like it and remains one of my favorites, it just sucks that the video quality on "Uknow" sites is really low. I still wish I had the VHS copy.

Anyway, people should check out The Guyver and the manga is still ongoing, but MAL won't tell you that.

Just the OVA's from 1989-1991

It's your 1 man army versus a monster making corporation.

The 2005 TV series granted is the same, but the OVA's had art closer to the manga.

It's nothing special except that the it's better than the TV series which got only a small bit further than the OVA's.

Anyway, that's my annoying contribution.

Guyver design looks amazing.
[30 characters]

That's the look we old-schoolers miss.

It's partly why we got hooked in anime.

Someone posted AD Police Files, those 3 OVA's were good, but 'The Man who bites his Tongue' was the best.

Anyone who wants a simple fun good anime to watch and yes it's Isekai stuff,
but it's wholesome and not an endurance challenge, I recommend
:

EL-Hazard: The Magnificent World

https://myanimelist.net/anime/117/El_Hazard__The_Magnificent_World

It's a fun to watch anime, but sadly the [u]"Alternate"[u] Wanderers TV series changed a couple of important characters.

It's sequel, El-Hazard 2: The Magnificent World 2

https://myanimelist.net/anime/118/El_Hazard_2__The_Magnificent_World

Is more for the type who like the lovey-dovey stuff and concludes the series properly.

It's like typical Isekai anime like RE-Zero, Re:Creators, Shield Hero... where the MC's are stuck like chuck and do what they can in the world they show up in, but the the world of El-Hazard is an easy watch at 6 OVA episodes and it's one of those 'light/weird/fun' kind of anime.

It's something you can watch with anyone and no one I think can get offended by it, well there is the hot springs thing, but I need to STFU.
SlimsithMar 21, 2022 12:27 PM
Mar 21, 2022 12:33 PM
Jul 2016
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal Is criminally unknown to the vast majority of anime consumers. I wish somehow it would receive some kind of recognition on tik tok or something so younger people my age would even be aware of it.

I feel the same with Monster as well. Obviously most people on this website will know about monster or probably even have watched it but I have yet to run into someone irl that has even heard of it. Urasawa’s Monster is the one anime that I recommend to others when i can. I have shown it to my ex and my parents and they absolutely loved it, so I know it has appeal to a wider audience, it just doesn’t have any kind of mainstream relevance.
Mar 21, 2022 12:44 PM

Feb 2020
although it's definitely not unknown, i still think that serial experiements lain is a must watch; like it or not.
Mar 21, 2022 1:12 PM

Nov 2016
chiisanatenohira said:
golden boy

Pixel_Vapour said:
I wish more people watched Ashita no Joe. Season 2 was really ahead of it's time.

i'd watch it but i really can't take the art & animation of the time

maybe reading it sometime

That's an interesting take. I can understand it being difficult to get through season 1 though, no matter how amazing it was
Mar 21, 2022 4:46 PM

Feb 2016
NickNK said:
Original DragonBall, the comedy on the anime is great but most people start at Z

I really dislike how slow the 80s anime is. There's a fanmade edit that fixes the pacing, but I feel weird recommending unofficial cuts. If only Toei's Kai didn't skip everything that comes before Raditz, it would be a lot of fun.

mwalimu said:
Other times it was an attempt to give it more 'shounen appeal' to attract more male viewers (don't get me started on what they did to "Cardcaptor Sakura").

I really liked that, and so did all my male friends. But I admit that if I had to choose between the 2 versions, I would choose the Japanese.
LucifrostMar 21, 2022 4:51 PM
その目だれの目?
Mar 21, 2022 6:19 PM

Jan 2021
Lucifrost said:

I really dislike how slow the 80s anime is. There's a fanmade edit that fixes the pacing, but I feel weird recommending unofficial cuts. If only Toei's Kai didn't skip everything that comes before Raditz, it would be a lot of fun.
Because It was based on a gag manga and the show was kinda made for kids too despite the dirty jokes dragon ball had
♪ 𝒜 𝓈𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝒾𝓈 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓂𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒽𝑜𝓌
𝐻𝑜𝓌 𝒷𝑒𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒾𝒻𝓊𝓁 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓇𝑒
𝐵𝓊𝓉 𝐼 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝑜 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒽𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉
𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝓀𝓃𝑜𝓌 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝐼 𝓈𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓁𝒹 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒
𝒪𝓇 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝐼'𝓂 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔
𝒜𝓁𝓁 𝐼 𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒹𝑜 𝒾𝓈 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈
𝒜𝓃𝒹 𝓁𝑒𝓉 𝓂𝓎 𝒽𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉 𝓅𝓁𝒶𝓎 ♪
Mar 21, 2022 6:30 PM

Feb 2016
@NickNK
Have you considered Dr. Slump? It is yet another old anime I wish others would watch!
https://myanimelist.net/anime/3312/Dr_Slump
その目だれの目?
Mar 21, 2022 6:34 PM

Jan 2021
@Lucifrost
Yeah it's a great anime I've watched it too (not in my list tho cause I was too lazy to add lol) , they're the same author akira toriyama(•ω•)
♪ 𝒜 𝓈𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝒾𝓈 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓂𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒽𝑜𝓌
𝐻𝑜𝓌 𝒷𝑒𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒾𝒻𝓊𝓁 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓇𝑒
𝐵𝓊𝓉 𝐼 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝑜 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒽𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉
𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝓀𝓃𝑜𝓌 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝐼 𝓈𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓁𝒹 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒
𝒪𝓇 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝐼'𝓂 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔
𝒜𝓁𝓁 𝐼 𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒹𝑜 𝒾𝓈 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈
𝒜𝓃𝒹 𝓁𝑒𝓉 𝓂𝓎 𝒽𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉 𝓅𝓁𝒶𝓎 ♪
Mar 21, 2022 6:37 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
WMT anime in general need more love. Also, there should a WMT revival for sure.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Mar 21, 2022 6:39 PM

Apr 2018
ryo-san said:
That's because of the popularity of the shows in japan and other countries where they were shown compared to rest of Europe and America.. (kochikame was shown in spain on canal tv)
Kochikame is a masterpiece, I just wish any fansubbing group to pick it up, they only aired around 60 episodes in my country.

Mar 21, 2022 6:44 PM
Apr 2021
Ranma 1/2 is a comedy anime from 1989. It was written by the person who wrote Inuyasha. It was something I watched as a kid and is one of my favourite animes of all time. I remember it had some special OVA with other animes from the 1980s like Dragon Ball. Highly recommend if you're looking for a good laugh. The episodes do get a bit repetitive sometiems.
Mar 21, 2022 7:30 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Lovely_Hollow said:
Ranma 1/2 is a comedy anime from 1989. It was written by the person who wrote Inuyasha. It was something I watched as a kid and is one of my favourite animes of all time. I remember it had some special OVA with other animes from the 1980s like Dragon Ball. Highly recommend if you're looking for a good laugh. The episodes do get a bit repetitive sometiems.

i seriously can't believe there's people out there that haven't seen ranma and cardcaptor sakura... But there are..

Mar 21, 2022 7:34 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
NekoZamurai said:
ryo-san said:
That's because of the popularity of the shows in japan and other countries where they were shown compared to rest of Europe and America.. (kochikame was shown in spain on canal tv)
Kochikame is a masterpiece, I just wish any fansubbing group to pick it up, they only aired around 60 episodes in my country.

There's 375 out of which I've watched 312 but I've seen all the special 45 mins episodes and both the movies..
I even took one year Spanish language class just to learn some basic Spanish for the anime and i really love the language but then the virus spread and classes were shut.. and as usual i lost some friends i made there.
ryo-sanMar 21, 2022 7:39 PM

Mar 21, 2022 7:44 PM

Dec 2016
Saint Seiya. Every battle shounen fan who wishes to be more cultured on how many classical battle shounen tropes still present to this day began to take shape -alongside Dragon Ball- should watch Saint Seiya.
Mar 21, 2022 8:43 PM
Mar 2022
OLD ANIME? "WONDER 3!" (Yeah, that's going back a ways)
And of course Chargeman ken . . .
Mar 22, 2022 8:50 PM
May 2017
Godspell5 said:
Mobile Suit Gundam series definitely :)
It get's new installment every now and then. This will help the original gain popularity.
Mar 22, 2022 9:40 PM
May 2017
EndlessMaria said:
I wish more people watched Dragon Ball Z lol kamehameha!!

The reason it's popularity died quickly in 10 years is because way to may many shows that just copy the shounen format was printed out by Weekly Shounen Jump to squeeze dry it for money.
Mar 22, 2022 9:42 PM
May 2017
AryaVairagare said:
From all the old anime I've seen so far, I'd say Perfect Blue, Akira, and the berserk 1997.

I know these three are popular but I think they need more attention.
Their popularity died people now prefer Manga and story like these in Manga form over an Anime adaptation. Because censorship doesn't apply over there.
Mar 22, 2022 9:47 PM
May 2017
SofiaBulga said:
I think these deserve the attention:

Juuni Kokuki
Hajime no Ippo
I put it on my to watch list because it was said to be similar to Yona of Dawn.
Mar 22, 2022 10:54 PM
May 2017
blackandwhite_ said:
Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou - 2005

I was looking for a historical anime and someone recommended it to me. I was pleasantly surprised in a good way from the anime. It contains quite a lot of gore so beware. The art style is very unique so it may be too unusual for some people but overall one of the 3 anime that I have rated with a 9 (my highest score number).
Well animated for it's time.
[30 Characters]
Mar 22, 2022 10:55 PM
May 2017
cosmico456 said:
angel's egg, so much u can interpret from it

It was a masterpiece I am surprised not many people talk about.
Mar 22, 2022 10:57 PM
May 2017
NickNK said:
Original DragonBall, the comedy on the anime is great but most people start at Z

It is because Akira Toriyama disregarding half of the things that happened in Dragon Ball before starting Z was the reason no one care about it. Shounen Jump influence over the story ruined what it was about.
Mar 22, 2022 10:58 PM
May 2017
Deago said:
That will be Kerokko Demetan 1973. Old and obscure on indeed.

Thing about obscure animation is that people are least likely to watch it. They are just not interested in them.
Mar 23, 2022 2:09 AM
May 2017
MercerTheLegend said:
Master keaton, with less than 5000 people having watched it on MAL it really is a hidden gem

It was written by the author of Monster.
Mar 23, 2022 2:18 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
Saikano, it truly is a tear-jerking work of art and is equally as powerful as Grave of the fireflies with regard to sending an anti-war message.
Mar 25, 2022 8:20 AM

Feb 2019
Oishinbo
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1093/Oishinbo?q=Oishinbo%20&cat=anime

Many people needs to watch this anime.
Mar 25, 2022 8:27 AM

Jul 2015
None, they'd probably 3/10 them with their crap taste and inability to make the difference between quality animation and ugly-ass photoshop filters.

MFW friends of a friend told her "nah Maison Ikkoku is ugly". That's what happens when you grow up with digital cartoons, in a consumerist world that wants you to believe new = better. U_U
Mar 25, 2022 9:27 AM

Feb 2016

All the subbed videos were pulled from youtube, and I believe the new uploads have no English subs.
その目だれの目?
Mar 25, 2022 9:30 AM
Dec 2017
Many to list instead of TWEWY's anime adaptation go with the original on the ds and also older wise for manga i'd say Ai Yazawa's earlier stuff like i am not an angel and kagen no tsuki and also NANA especially NANA and Paradise Kiss. Another Manga i'd say godchild and angel sanctuary.

Mar 25, 2022 9:32 AM
Dec 2020
It has definitely got to be Hajime no Ippo
Mar 25, 2022 4:42 PM

Mar 2021
almightybismarck said:
ColourWheel said:

This reminds me when I 1st saw an Arcade game back in the 80s called "Cliff Hanger". I was at a mall arcade in Colorado at the time and noticed "Lupin the 3rd" was in a videogame but no where on the arcade cabinet did it mention "Lupin the 3rd". They simply called the main character "Cliff". lol

What come to their mind when they sh!t these ideas out?

I know this is a late reply but back in the 80s laser disc arcade cabinets were all the hype. This included titles such as "Space Ace" and "Dragon's Lair" where even when there was very little freedom to the actual game play and more about pressing buttons at the right time, players still dumped hundreds of dollars in these games.

I guess the idea was that someone in the west wanted to capitalize off this idea and turn "Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro" into one of these games. Already being an Animated movie it was easy just to edit it into this type of laser disc game. At the time these specific types of arcade cabinets were the 1st to be able to get players to spend a full dollar for a single credit to play during a time when almost every other game would only cost 25 cents.

Since there was no international licensing policy at the time this game was created, the company that produced this game could basically get away calling the game and the character in it anything they wanted. They even referred to "Goemon" as just "Samurai" at the time because they wouldn't think people in the west would care or even know who any of the characters from this franchise are.
ColourWheelMar 25, 2022 4:46 PM
Mar 28, 2022 12:04 AM
May 2017
ColourWheel said:
almightybismarck said:

What come to their mind when they sh!t these ideas out?

I know this is a late reply but back in the 80s laser disc arcade cabinets were all the hype. This included titles such as "Space Ace" and "Dragon's Lair" where even when there was very little freedom to the actual game play and more about pressing buttons at the right time, players still dumped hundreds of dollars in these games.

I guess the idea was that someone in the west wanted to capitalize off this idea and turn "Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro" into one of these games. Already being an Animated movie it was easy just to edit it into this type of laser disc game. At the time these specific types of arcade cabinets were the 1st to be able to get players to spend a full dollar for a single credit to play during a time when almost every other game would only cost 25 cents.

Since there was no international licensing policy at the time this game was created, the company that produced this game could basically get away calling the game and the character in it anything they wanted. They even referred to "Goemon" as just "Samurai" at the time because they wouldn't think people in the west would care or even know who any of the characters from this franchise are.
Now this makes sense.
[30 characters]
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What's your most anticipated anime from summer 2024 ?

ZXEAN - Today

32 by Ohayotaku »»
2 minutes ago

» does anyone find it childish and cringe whenever attacks are yelled or named in shonen anime/manga?

Phantomnocomics - 2 hours ago

5 by Akuya »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

66 by 0207xander »»
10 minutes ago

» Did you know people who have only 200 completed anime but more than 100 days are-- ( 1 2 )

LenRea - Jun 3

51 by Kruszer »»
13 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

12 by Akuya »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.