Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 16, 2021 11:09 PM

Sep 2020
great episode like usual!
i just screamed internally when Eugene start telling Shin all about his plan for vacation leave with his sister. thats a huge death flag right there. and the show didnt wait long, exactly one scene later we see Eugene's meet his end with Shin doing his old job of putting his comrade out of misery.
Really nice touch really, war is just like that, death comes out of nowhere. also just like the first cour.

Frederica borders between cute and annoying, but she's being there lighten up the mood. Also i think its a necessary addition imo, since she understand the 86-er better than the average soldier. So we have different PoV of Federacy people. (people that understand them, and people who dont)
Oct 16, 2021 11:12 PM

Mar 2019
Pretty Hard to keep a series going just to the top.....

and more.. if more seasons are included...

but so far... this series has made it, clean.

EZ #1 of the season..... in this moment.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Oct 16, 2021 11:24 PM
Nov 2020
Yet another amazing episode filled with the amazing direction and music that 86 is becoming well known for. The return to action sees the return of those brutal moments that we’ve seen before, only this time it’s more brutal than ever. Poor Nina :(

5/5 again.
Oct 17, 2021 12:06 AM

Feb 2014
Spearhead squadron are back in action along with Fido. Awesome stuffs! Frederica is now their "mascot". Their now under Grethe Wenzel who is voiced by Ueda Kana, felt like Tohsaka Rin everytime I hear her voice.

RIP Eugene, we all knew he is going to die but it's still painful.
Oct 17, 2021 12:07 AM

Jul 2021
I was really thinking about all the deaths that will take place over the course of show after all these friendships being made. I loved the scene at the dinner table where Eugene, Frederica, and Shinei were eating and talking. It also pained me as I was sure he was going to die but I didn’t think it would be in the same episode. 😭
Oct 17, 2021 12:19 AM

Jun 2021
Ep 14 - Yoroshiku (Glad to be here)

The word was used when:

- Grethe introduced herself at Memorial Park
- 86ers saying it to Shin when he got his gun back (parallel to ep 6)
- Fred met Eugene at cafetaria

Great episode overall. I really like symbolism and parallel from this episode compared to past episode. The subtle hints directing of Shinei's personality is interesting (like how he smiled for a sec then went back to him being emotionless) personally since I know eugene is walking death flag I'm not too saddened by his death. But watching Shin's being isolated because he's an 86 and too good in battle is as real as kids isolating that one anti-social guy in class. Federacy may be better than Republic but still treating 86 as abnormal.
Current favourite ships:
- Chika x Satowa (Kono Oto Tomare)
- Shin x Lena (86)
- Vanitas x Jeanne (Vanitas no Carte)
Oct 17, 2021 12:28 AM
Jul 2018
Perfect adaptation. Best episode I have seen this year.
10/10
Oct 17, 2021 12:28 AM

Apr 2016
Lol I thought Eugene was going to have more screentime. He was introduced midway through the last episode... annnnnd now he's gone.

Would be nice if a black two seater spider mech joined the Spearhead crew.
Oct 17, 2021 12:45 AM

Sep 2016
Knew Eugene would die, wasn't expecting that to be the very next frame though lmao. They really want to keep Shin a loner till the very end. Here I thought he'd get less edgy with time with Eugene's help.
Oct 17, 2021 5:13 AM

Jan 2018
Having a "mascot" seems to be a barbaric practice. It's good the anime addresses that this is an outdated practice but Frederica needs to do it anyway or else the story wouldn't work.

Fido isn't dead! And they made a memorial for the deceased 86... touching.

I saw Eugene's death coming a mile away but it still felt impactful. It's sad Shin had to shoot the head of another friend... this time an Alba from Giad.
I wish this is the last time he has to pull the trigger on an ally, for his own sake.
Oct 17, 2021 6:17 AM
Sep 2021
Well that got really sad very fast
great episode, really well done. Wonder when we are going to see Lena again
Oct 17, 2021 6:25 AM

Jun 2020
Starting Shin's making some moves no one has yet to discover or know but at least the commander appraised for his creativity

So they made a memorial stand for all the lost companions 86 had how thoughtful of them and Fido is back baby just what I wanted to see, That reunion was inviting unless it's Shin with his cold personality but I'm glad those two met

That transition to Eugene's death is just sad he has a lot to do with his little sister and it's gone he's gone, The Reaper is back and the first one he kills is Eugene himself, huh the first ally you see is the first ally you kill, And we got the new Handler Frederica in battle, Shame there's no Lena scenes but I'm hoping for it next week.
Oct 17, 2021 6:42 AM

Oct 2016
Let's fucking go, they adapted the legendary zero point Vanagandr jump lmao. Vanagandr's are not meant for jumping and definitely not high mobility combat. The only Feldreß that can handle the Eighty Six's combat style are the Juggernaut and the brand new Reginleif. The Reginleif looks fucking sick by the way.

That transition to Eugene's death was insane, they really adapted this part amazingly. In the novel, they showed Eugene die first in chapter 1 of volume 2, before we really got to know him. I came to really like him when we got to know his character and feel bad for him knowing he eventually dies. The anime did it chronologically with us getting to know him first before he dies and it's just as painful. They're really knocking it out of the park. They're are also doing a fantastic job of conveying Shin's thoughts with his facial expressions.

The scene in the monument was fantastic as well. Look out our bestest boy Fido go with the upgrades, welcome back. Also, welcome back to our Reaper. Can't wait for the next episode.
Oct 17, 2021 7:22 AM
Feb 2021
Not again, I can’t go through the pain again.

RIP Eugene
Oct 17, 2021 7:57 AM
Sep 2009
Syureria said:
Shin and his friends decide to enroll in a special military academy. Shin, who had survived the harsh battlefield as a Spearhead squadron, showed his fighting skills even in the military school and shocked the surroundings. Getting a reprimand from the instructor, rather than having to enjoy peaceful days, Shin would rather go to the battlefield. Somehow many robot carcasses make me nostalgic, is that you?

I hope that the masou military academy scene continues, it's still too early for the battlefield besides, I also want to see Milize. I don't know why Enoki mushrooms are not very popular, is the taste too bad? Look at Frederica's face, xD. It's still the episodeb3 and a corpse has appeared even though it's just. The god of death just joining the battlefield

Is more like her taste buds are too refined due to her upbringing so she wasn't used to military cafeteria food.
Oct 17, 2021 8:14 AM

Oct 2020
Ah, I knew this episode was going to be an emotional joyride. Well, we got to see Fido back alive, and Shin seems to be back in his usual mindset. Haha, Frederica's a pretty cute mascot as well. Eugene's death was pretty impactful especially, after the previous scene where Shin and Eugene were chatting. Breaking the news to Eugene's sister will be a heartfelt task.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2021 8:25 AM

Apr 2015
Excellent chapter the grim reaper returning at the top with a new eye and a load that he must carry, I hope that in the next chapter we can see Milizé
Oct 17, 2021 8:42 AM

Dec 2019
Quite enjoyable ~ ~ ~ ~ ~waiting for next Episode for sure!
Once a flower withered, it can never bloom again..

Oct 17, 2021 8:46 AM

Dec 2019
Quite enjoyable ~ ~ ~ ~ ~waiting for next Episode for sure!
Once a flower withered, it can never bloom again..

Oct 17, 2021 11:23 AM

Oct 2015
That was a really good episode, but was ever so saddening. To be expected when you paint so many red flags in so little time.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Oct 17, 2021 12:10 PM
Nov 2020
I can't believe that Eugene died in such a way I liked him very well and thinking all the dreams he wanted to fulfill with his little sister eighty six does it again
Oct 17, 2021 12:32 PM

Jul 2020
Damn that's tuff!
Oct 17, 2021 1:22 PM

May 2015
Fido is back > death of this random guy, Facts.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 17, 2021 1:52 PM
Aug 2018
As always, a great episode coming from a great show
Oct 17, 2021 2:27 PM
Mar 2015
The war is not going well for the Federacy
Oct 17, 2021 3:11 PM

Aug 2020
Shin and the group are trying their best at the military, but need to have more discipline. I'm glad that their friends could at least have their names written as memories. Frederica is the group mascot, and had problems eating mushrooms. But Shin gave her some support on the task.

Eugene's destiny was unexpected, since it happened suddenly. I hope her sister will stay strong at this moment. She's so young.

The story is always impressing me.

Oct 17, 2021 3:19 PM
Aug 2021
This just getting more exciting I can't wait for every to know what's gonna happen,so I've decided to read the manga
Oct 17, 2021 4:00 PM
Apr 2021
that statement "it's almost like he's the reaper" makes no sense. Have they heard of a soldier who went by the name "reaper"? I've seen no indication that's true. In which case what has Shin's actions (and suspected actions) done to suggest he is in any way deserving of the title "reaper"? It felt like the most bizarre and ham fisted tie in to the first season I've ever seen. Like hold that statement until after Shin actually joins the battlefield as the reaper.

Talk about a fake out death. I remember everyone lost their minds when Fido bit the dust. Now that scene has been retroactively ruined. Why did Fido need to be revived? There was no need other than fan service. He never really fulfilled a direct role in the story. And he's not even present in the rest of the episode.

And now we've reached another timeskip. Eugene's death is also one of the most predictable and uninspired deaths in the entire series so far. The setup was incredibly obvious. But who knows maybe it will be redeemed by tying strongly into the main plot. As it stands I feel like it was a lazy and uninspired thing to do with his character. It's uneconomical storytelling to build up a character solely to be killed off. There were so many other things he could have added to the story that could have made his death actually meaningful beyond being a source of conflict between Shin and the redhead guy.
Oct 17, 2021 4:01 PM
Apr 2021
Osmandes1r8123 said:
This just getting more exciting I can't wait for every to know what's gonna happen,so I've decided to read the manga
pretty sure the manga is behind the anime?
and that fans of 86 don't like it
do you mean the LN and just said manga because of how wacked MAL's database is?
Oct 17, 2021 4:22 PM
Nov 2013
Great Ep. RIP Eugene though sad.
Oct 17, 2021 4:36 PM

Jul 2008
Dayum I felt it, but like really felt it.
When Eugene spoke about his sister and coming back home to go out with her I was like " aw sucks you will die really soon bruh. "

Oct 17, 2021 4:45 PM

Jul 2017
theGodde said:

Talk about a fake out death. I remember everyone lost their minds when Fido bit the dust. Now that scene has been retroactively ruined. Why did Fido need to be revived? There was no need other than fan service. He never really fulfilled a direct role in the story. And he's not even present in the rest of the episode.

I actually agree with the Fido thing, Fido didn't serve much in season 1 but I admired the actual scene that he was involved with so much back then but bringing the machine back felt like that whole scene was a bit wasted. Sure it served as a great little recollection of what the members of 86 went through together with the good and bad times, but the machine and character involved there feels like a waste now with being revived.

Also agree with Eugene's character to some degree but he was just a plot device that was sacrificed in battle, but other series do this too like Attack on Titan where you get to know someone for a short bit just to sacrifice them for the nature of the world and a reminder of how cruel it can still be. His character is just a plot device which does make him uninteresting and kind of wasted potential which I agree with, but to some degree the series does introduce some characters to kill them off for impact sake.

This whole episode didn't really click with me barring the brutality of the actual scene with Eugene's death as well as the gravestone scene and these little details further make progress to why the series struggles for me a bit with this volume adapted and some of the future ones too.
Oct 17, 2021 5:07 PM

Jan 2021
YAYYYY best boy Fido IS BACK!! And F for Eugene :( I kinda saw his death coming but damn it's still so heart breaking
Oct 17, 2021 6:02 PM

Oct 2011
theGodde said:
that statement "it's almost like he's the reaper" makes no sense. Have they heard of a soldier who went by the name "reaper"? I've seen no indication that's true. In which case what has Shin's actions (and suspected actions) done to suggest he is in any way deserving of the title "reaper"? It felt like the most bizarre and ham fisted tie in to the first season I've ever seen. Like hold that statement until after Shin actually joins the battlefield as the reaper.

And now we've reached another timeskip. Eugene's death is also one of the most predictable and uninspired deaths in the entire series so far. The setup was incredibly obvious. But who knows maybe it will be redeemed by tying strongly into the main plot. As it stands I feel like it was a lazy and uninspired thing to do with his character. It's uneconomical storytelling to build up a character solely to be killed off. There were so many other things he could have added to the story that could have made his death actually meaningful beyond being a source of conflict between Shin and the redhead guy.

Dude's using a blade in a battlefield dominated by guns, stoic on the surface but goes on a mad rampage killing enemies left and right, has a headless skeleton painted on his tank. You mean to say these synonyms can't be used to describe his as a "Reaper"?

What's wrong with Fido's "fake out death" anyway? The point is that if you truly cared for a certain character, why wouldn't you be happy for that character to be actually alive? With that said the fact that it frustrates you to see Fido alive again for some reason implies you didn't care for him to begin with.

And why are you solely focusing on Eugene's death having no meaning besides just a predictable, dramatic attempt to kill someone? Why are you forgetting about Nina and how she would react to Shin, and how Shin will react to her? Eugene's death is a parallel to the events at the first season, only this time Shin is sending off people that has a future ahead of them. That's not including the change where him being a "Reaper" seemingly feels like a job/duty now that his wish to put his brother to rest is over with. It's not as if the story itself isn't aware that Eugene is a walking death flag; in the LN he died right in the first chapter of the second volume, and his death serves more in the purpose of fleshing out Shin's "Reaper" persona, how years of doing this is starting to affect him, as well as reinforcing the theme about war this series is about.
w3b0shiOct 17, 2021 6:14 PM
Nope.
Oct 17, 2021 6:20 PM

Oct 2011
animejas said:
theGodde said:

I actually agree with the Fido thing, Fido didn't serve much in season 1 but I admired the actual scene that he was involved with so much back then but bringing the machine back felt like that whole scene was a bit wasted. Sure it served as a great little recollection of what the members of 86 went through together with the good and bad times, but the machine and character involved there feels like a waste now with being revived.

Also agree with Eugene's character to some degree but he was just a plot device that was sacrificed in battle, but other series do this too like Attack on Titan where you get to know someone for a short bit just to sacrifice them for the nature of the world and a reminder of how cruel it can still be. His character is just a plot device which does make him uninteresting and kind of wasted potential which I agree with, but to some degree the series does introduce some characters to kill them off for impact sake.

This whole episode didn't really click with me barring the brutality of the actual scene with Eugene's death as well as the gravestone scene and these little details further make progress to why the series struggles for me a bit with this volume adapted and some of the future ones too.

If you haven't caught on to it yet, 86 is mostly character drama, and Eugene's death is not simply just about him putting on a stark reminder that people in war can die at any time. If you can't see past beyond that and how it ties in to the 86's, particularly Shin's obvious growing suicidal tendencies and existentialism, then of course this series won't click with you if you didn't understand what it's about in the first place.
Nope.
Oct 17, 2021 6:43 PM
Apr 2021
w3b0shi said:
Dude's using a blade in a battlefield dominated by guns, stoic on the surface but goes on a mad rampage killing enemies left and right, has a headless skeleton painted on his tank. You mean to say these synonyms can't be used to describe his as a "Reaper"?
you need to learn to read better. These guys were still at officer school when they said that line. They should have absolutely no knowledge of Shin or who he was before now, and the show has given us no indication that he did anything at officer school to earn the name reaper

w3b0shi said:
What's wrong with Fido's "fake out death" anyway? The point is that if you truly cared for a certain character, why wouldn't you be happy for that character to be actually alive? With that said the fact that it frustrates you to see Fido alive again for some reason implies you didn't care for him to begin with.
Fake out deaths are bad because they retroactively invalidate previous emotional payoffs. If you don't understand why fake out deaths are bad you must have very, very, very little comprehension of what good writing is.

w3b0shi said:
And why are you solely focusing on Eugene's death having no meaning besides just a predictable, dramatic attempt to kill someone? Why are you forgetting about Nina and how she would react to Shin, and how Shin will react to her? Eugene's death is a parallel to the events at the first season, only this time Shin is sending off people that has a future ahead of them. That's not including the change where him being a "Reaper" seemingly feels like a job/duty now that his wish to put his brother to rest is over with. It's not as if the story itself isn't aware that Eugene is a walking death flag; in the LN he died right in the first chapter of the second volume, and his death serves more in the purpose of fleshing out Shin's "Reaper" persona, how years of doing this is starting to affect him, as well as reinforcing the theme about war this series is about.
That is a fair response - if we were talking about the LN. However this isn't the LN. In the anime Eugene has been set up for two episodes with an established character and connection to Shin. Killing him off after all that development isn't inherently a bad thing - pretty sure I made that very clear with my original post. However he wasn't developed enough to where his death is emotionally impactful. Eugene was at a stage in the narrative where he had a lot of potential to grow within the story but not a lot of depth at this present stage - but still enough depth that he didn't feel like a throwaway character. This is purely subjective on my side, but it just felt like a waste to see him die off when he had so much potential as a character.
But like I said in the original post, this would all be irrelevant if his death had a powerful impact in the story.
But who knows maybe it will be redeemed by tying strongly into the main plot.
And since I've basically just repeated everything I said in the original post I have to beg the question can you just not read or is it your goal to drop as many small hints and potential spoilers for the rest of the show as possible?
Oct 17, 2021 6:47 PM
Apr 2021
w3b0shi said:
If you haven't caught on to it yet, 86 is mostly character drama, and Eugene's death is not simply just about him putting on a stark reminder that people in war can die at any time. If you can't see past beyond that and how it ties in to the 86's, particularly Shin's obvious growing suicidal tendencies and existentialism, then of course this series won't click with you if you didn't understand what it's about in the first place.
I don't think thematic messaging invalidates criticism of story. None of what you've said changes the fact that he was a sacrificial pawn whose death wasn't as impactful as it could have been if he had been developed for just an episode or two longer. Why couldn't he have been better developed and then died to produce the exact same thematic messaging and character progression for Shin?
Oct 17, 2021 7:05 PM

Oct 2011
theGodde said:
w3b0shi said:
I don't think thematic messaging invalidates criticism of story. None of what you've said changes the fact that he was a sacrificial pawn whose death wasn't as impactful as it could have been if he had been developed for just an episode or two longer. Why couldn't he have been better developed and then died to produce the exact same thematic messaging and character progression for Shin?

He isn't even developed in the LN either when he died. How much and how do you want to develop him eitherway? Would knowing which sport he's good at, what's his favorite color change anything on how Shin will absorb what happened? Why shouldn't the story spend more time on other things instead that are also critical to what it wants to tell? Isn't characterizing him as one of Shin's few closer friends, a nice guy with a bright future, enough to serve the purpose of highlighting how that ties in to Shin's character development? Or are you just the type of person who wouldn't feel a tinge of sadness over someone's death unless you've know them for years? You're not supposed to cry a river over his death because that's not exactly what the point is.

Heck you gave Vivy a score of 9, yet it had one scene where
Guess what not every death in a story has to have immediate impact nor has to be unpredictable to actually matter in the narrative. Anyway and again, the point is still about Shin -- the episode isn't even subtle over what it means when Eugene's brains got splattered over that flower next to him.

Can't you even remember how they handled Kaie and Daiya's death? They're literally minor characters just like Eugene, yet Daiya's death for example is still a major part of the inner turmoil Anju is going through -- just seeing how the second episode rubs that to our face even though we barely know Daiya is already depressing in itself.
w3b0shiOct 17, 2021 7:42 PM
Nope.
Oct 17, 2021 8:14 PM
Apr 2021
w3b0shi said:
Can't you even remember how they handled Kaie and Daiya's death? They're literally minor characters just like Eugene, yet Daiya's death for example is still a major part of the inner turmoil Anju is going through -- just seeing how the second episode rubs that to our face even though we barely know Daiya is already depressing in itself.
don't bring up the season 1 deaths as examples of good writing
I have even more issues with S1 than I do with S2.
A good character death should accomplish different things depending on its intended purpose within the narrative. Say a character completes their arc and fulfils their purpose within the story, then their death is a means of saying farewell to that character while using it as a source of motivation for the surviving characters to progress the plot. In this case the focus should be less about the character themselves and more on the surviving cast who are affected - spending time to show how the death impacted all the characters. This is not the case with any of the deaths mentioned in 86, but I'm still mentioning it here because this is what people assume all character deaths should be like.
A different type of character death would be a character whose life has been cut short. They might have been just about to fulfil their goal but died before they could, and so the main focus of this kind of death is a sense of unfairness. The feeling of lost potential, that this person have done so much more. This type of character death is often looked down upon by most people because it's consistently used poorly by writers. Either it's too obvious (too many red flags), or there wasn't enough development before their death, or there wasn't a significant impact in the narrative to justify the death.
Now if we consider the deaths in Season 1 that you mentioned. First of all, Kaie's death was awfully executed in the anime. We saw it from Lena's perspective on a tactical map rather than seeing her die in person. There are two reasons characters are killed off in 86 - to build upon the themes and reveal more about the world (such as Kujo's death in the first episode revealing more about Shin's character and spearhead as a whole, also building upon the nature of war), and characters who die in order to progress the plot/characters (such as Daiya's death progressing Anju's character). What did Kaie's death achieve? Her role up until her death was simply to spout exposition and be the voice of reason. She possessed no unique or interesting characters traits, and her death served only to force Lena to learn that her actions have consequences - which could have been done in a multitude of different ways that didn't require the offscreen death of an underdeveloped character.

w3b0shi said:
He isn't even developed in the LN either when he died. How much and how do you want to develop him eitherway? Would knowing which sport he's good at, what's his favorite color change anything? Why shouldn't the story spend more time on other things instead that are also critical to what it wants to tell? Isn't characterizing him as one of Shin's few closer friends, a nice guy with a bright future, enough to serve the purpose of highlighting how that ties in to Shin's character development? Or are you just the type of person who wouldn't feel a tinge of sadness over someone's death unless you've know them for years? You're not supposed to cry a river over his death because that's not exactly what the point is. Not every death in a story has to have impact as soon as it happens.
I've literally been saying this the entire time. How many times do I have to repeat "if his death has consequences within the story then this won't be an issue" before you take the hint. Did you only read the latest post and ignore the first one?
Oct 17, 2021 10:41 PM

Oct 2011
theGodde said:
w3b0shi said:
don't bring up the season 1 deaths as examples of good writing
I have even more issues with S1 than I do with S2.
A good character death should accomplish different things depending on its intended purpose within the narrative. Say a character completes their arc and fulfils their purpose within the story, then their death is a means of saying farewell to that character while using it as a source of motivation for the surviving characters to progress the plot. In this case the focus should be less about the character themselves and more on the surviving cast who are affected - spending time to show how the death impacted all the characters. This is not the case with any of the deaths mentioned in 86, but I'm still mentioning it here because this is what people assume all character deaths should be like.
A different type of character death would be a character whose life has been cut short. They might have been just about to fulfil their goal but died before they could, and so the main focus of this kind of death is a sense of unfairness. The feeling of lost potential, that this person have done so much more. This type of character death is often looked down upon by most people because it's consistently used poorly by writers. Either it's too obvious (too many red flags), or there wasn't enough development before their death, or there wasn't a significant impact in the narrative to justify the death.
Now if we consider the deaths in Season 1 that you mentioned. First of all, Kaie's death was awfully executed in the anime. We saw it from Lena's perspective on a tactical map rather than seeing her die in person. There are two reasons characters are killed off in 86 - to build upon the themes and reveal more about the world (such as Kujo's death in the first episode revealing more about Shin's character and spearhead as a whole, also building upon the nature of war), and characters who die in order to progress the plot/characters (such as Daiya's death progressing Anju's character). What did Kaie's death achieve? Her role up until her death was simply to spout exposition and be the voice of reason. She possessed no unique or interesting characters traits, and her death served only to force Lena to learn that her actions have consequences - which could have been done in a multitude of different ways that didn't require the offscreen death of an underdeveloped character.

w3b0shi said:
He isn't even developed in the LN either when he died. How much and how do you want to develop him eitherway? Would knowing which sport he's good at, what's his favorite color change anything? Why shouldn't the story spend more time on other things instead that are also critical to what it wants to tell? Isn't characterizing him as one of Shin's few closer friends, a nice guy with a bright future, enough to serve the purpose of highlighting how that ties in to Shin's character development? Or are you just the type of person who wouldn't feel a tinge of sadness over someone's death unless you've know them for years? You're not supposed to cry a river over his death because that's not exactly what the point is. Not every death in a story has to have impact as soon as it happens.
I've literally been saying this the entire time. How many times do I have to repeat "if his death has consequences within the story then this won't be an issue" before you take the hint. Did you only read the latest post and ignore the first one?

Isn't this exactly what 86 is doing with your example of how a "good character death" should be? I understand Kaie's death was premature within the episode it aired, but this only applies if you're cherry picking which point of the story to criticize. Her characterization goes further beyond just an episode the further the first season progresses which, again, points toward your example of how a "good character death" should be: a source of motivation later on for the remaining characters, a vehicle to tell a story about humanizing people who were viewed by a country as nothing but tools of war.

Kaie's death was also used as a means to call Lena out for her bias and hypocrisy which plays right into 86's core theme. She says she's sorry about what happened, but her words doesn't feel genuine when she didn't bother asking for their names. This spurred her to get to know the squad more beyond them being just an "86". It just so happens that by the time we the viewers knew Kaie better when flashbacks of her appeared in the latter episodes, she was already dead. That was thematically the point, that was the consequence -- it's fine not to feel emotional over the death of someone you don't know, but 86 firmly reminds us that characters who died offscreen are actually people: Kaie's favorite flower is cherry blossoms, Kaie is pro LGBTQ+, Kaie is an older sister figure to Kurena and so on. Again, isn't this the feeling of unfairness you yourself mentioned, that Kaie could've done something more, that she's actually a legit cool person? How does this not serve as a good example of using a character death to reinforce a story's theme again?

So yes, she DID achieve something in terms of how it affects the remaining characters as well as how 86 uses that as a theme of humanizing these minor characters who were supposed to be just tools of war. Whether or not you find her character traits interesting after 86 tells about it is subjective and is entirely up to you, but it doesn't mean that her death was uninspired nor has no further implications over the story.

With that said why are you contradicting yourself that there should be no issue if their deaths has consequences? Kaie's death, Daiya's also has consequences within the story and its themes, so why were their death an issue?

Honestly, it seems to me that your "issue" simply boils down to "I can't care much about their deaths because I didn't know them enough when they died" considering that you're wondering why the show didn't spend more time for Eugene so I don't understand why you'd have to go through the length of contradicting yourself and proving that you absolutely didn't understand what the point of Kaie's death was.
w3b0shiOct 17, 2021 10:52 PM
Nope.
Oct 17, 2021 10:59 PM

Aug 2010
It was a good episode, but things happened so fast. They suddenly graduated and is already 6 months into the war, and Shin already lost a new friend.. I was liking their relationship, and even though Eugene is giving a death flag, didn't think it was going to be this fast.
Oct 18, 2021 12:15 AM

Apr 2020
Damn, Eugene is dead. Nina will be very sad if she finds out
Oct 18, 2021 12:32 AM

Jun 2014
theGodde said:
w3b0shi said:
you need to learn to read better. These guys were still at officer school when they said that line. They should have absolutely no knowledge of Shin or who he was before now, and the show has given us no indication that he did anything at officer school to earn the name reaper

Marcel says that Shin is like a reaper because people around him dies (the test pilot who test the new feldreβ) added with how he act generally and his solemn atmosphere, at least that how I interpreted it.

Now I do agree it feels extremely tacked on but it's not absolutely out of nowhere.
Oct 18, 2021 1:52 AM

Nov 2012
This hit me as hard as the last Natsumi's pics from ndc, sh*t man

My Candies:

Oct 18, 2021 2:53 AM

Oct 2008
that was the most predictable deathflag!
4/5.

Oct 18, 2021 3:31 AM
Jun 2020
matias067 said:
that was the most predictable deathflag!
4/5.

Yeah because that was the point!
Oct 18, 2021 5:06 AM

Dec 2008
I cried when Fido returned, didn't expect they would bring the support unit back.

Eugene !!! What waste Cadet Marcel appeared more like noob.
It seems that the Vanagandr isn't much better than a standard Juggernaut or the improved machine in terms of survivalbility. And this nation also struggles to counter the Legion, even though the same people who made those, also made the Vanagandr, I was expecting a slight technical advantage because of this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2021 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
Good episode and enjoyable. We got see the Fido again.
More gore added now we got see the hole in the head after getting shooted.
Oct 18, 2021 8:59 AM

Apr 2018
Every episode is a carousel of sorrow.
Oct 18, 2021 12:07 PM

Aug 2013
No matter where he goes, seems like Shin will always have to mercy kill people he cares about.
Brutal.

Glad they explained why they let literal kids on the battlefield though
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Season 2

Brittaman12 - Dec 17, 2023

34 by Memore »»
Jun 28, 3:14 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

538 by Readers0 »»
Jun 27, 1:27 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2022

301 by Alfred0098 »»
Jun 25, 6:19 AM

» [SPOILER]. If they make a second season would it be a romance?

Superninjaboy2 - Jun 3

12 by Flacion »»
Jun 4, 10:50 AM

» Light Novel after anime??

RadicalSanta - Oct 11, 2022

23 by rayanDON »»
Jun 1, 10:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.