Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 2, 2021 5:51 PM
Jun 2021
I liked this new episode, but I felt it was too short. It basically gives an end to this last arc, and it was basically in the end in the last episode.

This episode basically confirmed that Satoko became a complete demon now. While I was watching, I expected Ooshi-san would kill Satoko before Rika could die. But it didn't happen. I'm very curious about what will happen in the next arc. They will create a new arc on basically what it was on last episodes or they will start the final arc? As MAL suggests, this anime might have 15 episodes so I believe they will start the last one in the next episode.

Will Satoko die before Rika? What will happen now? Will Satoko become a human again?
Sep 2, 2021 5:54 PM
Jan 2018
Danpmss said:
SkyhighCFC said:

The first arc in the original Higurashi is literally an unreliable narrator in Keiichi. What are you talking about chief?

Don't bother, anime onlies likely didn't even notice much of how unreliable Higurashi is from the start with PoVs (even though I'm sure Tsumihoroboshi touched on that). And if they are VN readers, shame on them.

I could literally screenshot stuff from the OG anime and they wouldn't believe it. Even because a pen being a syringe in a certain perspective toooootally doesn't make it an unreliable perspective, right guys? And that's from the very start. (Source is Higurashi ep 24, 14min 47 sec, if that's the one way I have to objectively prove a point).

It's useless to insist, they don't care for the plot, nor for consistency, they WANT to call it bad writing and that's it.

Sorry but: Are you really comparing the syringe/marker scene to today's Sotsu scene to try to explain the decision to use an "unreliable narrator"?
First, this marker scene in the classic makes sense as the POV shown is that of Keiichi, who is paranoid due to the syndrome.
In Gou/sotsu, the scene is shown from another point of view, shown in third person. In third person there should not be in Higurashi the so-called "unreliable narrator", Higurashi IS NOT Umineko who has worked this out from the beginning.
And there's also no way to say that the scene in Sotsu is from Keiichi's point of view, as he doesn't remember what happened. It would only make sense to use the so-called "unreliable narrator" if the scene was played from Ooishi's point of view, but why change Tataridamashi-hen's point of view from Keiichi to Ooishi so suddenly? If that's not bad writing, then what is? (and before you say that I'm just an only-anime fan and that I'm not aware of VN forget it, I just haven't read ciconia yet, probably most of my time consuming Japanese entertainment was devoted to the WTC series)
JackDSF123Sep 2, 2021 5:57 PM
Sep 2, 2021 6:12 PM

Jul 2012
JackDSF123 said:
Danpmss said:

Don't bother, anime onlies likely didn't even notice much of how unreliable Higurashi is from the start with PoVs (even though I'm sure Tsumihoroboshi touched on that). And if they are VN readers, shame on them.

I could literally screenshot stuff from the OG anime and they wouldn't believe it. Even because a pen being a syringe in a certain perspective toooootally doesn't make it an unreliable perspective, right guys? And that's from the very start. (Source is Higurashi ep 24, 14min 47 sec, if that's the one way I have to objectively prove a point).

It's useless to insist, they don't care for the plot, nor for consistency, they WANT to call it bad writing and that's it.

Sorry but: Are you really comparing the syringe/marker scene to today's Sotsu scene to try to explain the decision to use an "unreliable narrator"?
First, this marker scene in the classic makes sense as the POV shown is that of Keiichi, who is paranoid due to the syndrome.
In Gou/sotsu, the scene is shown from another point of view, shown in third person. In third person there should not be in Higurashi the so-called "unreliable narrator", Higurashi IS NOT Umineko who has worked this out from the beginning.
And there's also no way to say that the scene in Sotsu is from Keiichi's point of view, as he doesn't remember what happened. It would only make sense to use the so-called "unreliable narrator" if the scene was played from Ooishi's point of view, but why change Tataridamashi-hen's point of view from Keiichi to Ooishi so suddenly? If that's not bad writing, then what is? (and before you say that I'm just an only-anime fan and that I'm not aware of VN forget it, I just haven't read ciconia yet, probably most of my time consuming Japanese entertainment was devoted to the WTC series)

They are both unreliable narrations displayed rather explicitly in their stories and don't match at all the reality of facts shown later (both in Tsumi and Tatariakashi).

>Higurashi IS NOT Umineko who has worked this out from the beginning.

What do you think an unreliable narrator is? In Tataridamashi we are following K1's perspective, which differs quite a bit from the reality. In Onikakushi we follow K1's perspective, which differs quite a bit from the reality.
They are both unreliable perspectives, and this is something ever present in Higurashi's very first chapter. Because surprise surprise, that's how Higurashi works. Everyone in the village has the virus and can get hallucinations if mentally disturbed, from the very start, except Mion, who despite being infected, has a tremendous canon mental resistence and never goes naturally L5. Like, Jesus Christ, this plot point was revisited in Satokowashi in enough detail to at least refresh your head regarding that much.

In here we are following Ooishi's and Satoko's perspectives. Satoko being mostly reliable as far as we are concerned in here (in the OG she was borderline L5 most of the time and definitely unreliable as a perspective when unchecked).

IT'S TATARIDAMASHI'S POV FROM HIM (K1) THAT IS UNRELIABLE. Not this one (the facts), it's not hard to understand, he wouldn't remember because what he thought that happened was what WE HAVE SEEN IN HIS PERSPECTIVE DURING TATARIDAMASHI, NOT IN SOTSU.

"PoVs changing and some of which being unreliable with an explanation as to why" is not bad writing, that's such a stupid thing to say. You probably hated Umineko with a passion in that case.

For someone who read Higurashi, you sure know how much it TOTALLY doesn't rely on unreliable perspective AND WORKED IT OUT FROM THE BEGINNING, JUST LIKE UMINEKO LMAO
DanpmssSep 2, 2021 6:28 PM
Sep 2, 2021 6:28 PM
May 2021
Mistrals_ said:
Well that was sure 11 episodes of pointless recap interspersed with about 5 minutes of new ‘Satoko’ developments.

How many minutes of my life have I spent watching Rika dancing now? I’ve seen some shameless cashgrabs, but this is absurd.

4 episodes left to do anything Sotsu, please for the love of god don’t be more pointless content to setup for a third season, I’m begging you.

A whole 3rd season? Probably not in the budget. A movie however..?

*Eua laugh and Ryukishi07 raugh combined*
Sep 2, 2021 6:31 PM

Jan 2013
Wow and the episode is already over. They took 20 minutes to cover what could have been shown in 5.
Welp 4 episodes left to focus on where the actual plot left off like 20 episodes ago. Assuming they jump straight to it instead of wasting more time on showing what happened in the worlds they speedran through in Gou.

Kinda hope Rena takes the spotlight when the plot resumes. Maybe her memories of this world get jogged or something so she realizes Satoko is evil. Just throwing ideas out there.
Sep 2, 2021 6:42 PM
Jan 2018
Danpmss said:
JackDSF123 said:

They are both unreliable narrations displayed rather explicitly in their stories and don't match at all the reality of facts shown later (both in Tsumi and Tatariakashi).

>Higurashi IS NOT Umineko who has worked this out from the beginning.

What do you think an unreliable narrator is? In Tataridamashi we are following K1's perspective, which differs quite a bit from the reality. In Onikakushi we follow K1's perspective, which differs quite a bit from the reality.
They are both unreliable perspectives, and this is something ever present in Higurashi's very first chapter.

In here we are following Ooishi's and Satoko's perspectives. Satoko being mostly reliable as far as we are concerned in here (in the OG she was borderline L5 most of the time and definitely unreliable as a perspective).

IT'S TATARIDAMASHI'S POV FROM HIM THAT IS UNRELIABLE. Not this one (the facts), it's not hard to understand, he wouldn't remember because what he thought that happened was what WE HAVE SEEN IN HIS PERSPECTIVE DURING TATARIDAMASHI, NOT IN SOTSU.

PoVs changing and some of which being unreliable with an explanation as to why is not bad writing, that's such a stupid thing to say. You probably hated Umineko with a passion in that case.

For someone who read Higurashi, you sure know how much it TOTALLY doesn't rely on unreliable perspective FROM THE BEGINNING, JUST LIKE UMINEKO LMAO

And now you're twisting what I said to try to make you sound right.
First: you are comparing Onikakushi where K1 was in advanced stages of HS with Tataridamashi in which he is lucid throughout the entire arc, if you say he was in advanced stages of HS in tataridamashi it would make sense that he is a "unreliable narrator", however: "Knox's 8th: It is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not presented." presents me with a single evidence in tataridamashi that K1 has the same type of "unreliable narrator" as in Onikakushi. Yes, "unreliable narrator" is "unreliable narrator" but this varies in intensity and type. Intensity in the case of how affected is the point of view followed, if low intensity or L5. The other type of "unreliable narrator" is what happens when we are not following a specific point of view (or just don't know that we are following the POV of someone) that is used in Umineko, and no I don't hate that type of "unreliable narrator". If it's done right (as it was during Umi's story) it's very good, but my problem here is to use this second type in Higurashi that never used this second type and only used the first type where we followed a specific point of view and never in third person. Again, the scene would make sense if who attacked Keiichi had been Ooishi from the start, as then at least we would have a change of point of view in tataridamashi to reflect the unreliable point of view of Ooishi. Of course, this would lead to a sudden change in POV that I've already said I don't like.
JackDSF123Sep 2, 2021 6:51 PM
Sep 2, 2021 6:46 PM

Jul 2012
vegeta8639 said:
Wow and the episode is already over. They took 20 minutes to cover what could have been shown in 5.
Welp 4 episodes left to focus on where the actual plot left off like 20 episodes ago. Assuming they jump straight to it instead of wasting more time on showing what happened in the worlds they speedran through in Gou.

Kinda hope Rena takes the spotlight when the plot resumes. Maybe her memories of this world get jogged or something so she realizes Satoko is evil. Just throwing ideas out there.

Well, the Kagura in Kagurashi refers to God's Entertainment, which is a Shinto ceremonial dance, that could also point out to Eua's entertainment.

On the other hand, the Higurashi arc titles always have wordplays in them
Regarding Kagurashi-hen as a wordplay:
神楽
かぐら
ひよッとこづらの者。「お-」里神楽の馬鹿の仮面より此称起る。

Could refer to the mask of the fool in Sato Kagura, as in "they who are fools/act like a child", which might as well refer to OG Satoko, and not her Bern-like looping self counterpart.

I wonder, Sato(ko)kagura on itself definitely fits like a glove lul, and so does the definition.

"The foolish child (of man) who became God's entertainment" perhaps.

That can apply both to Eua's observing OG Satoko in a kakera that provides her fun times (Rika-less kakera?), as she calls herself a fool, and acts like a kid. A counterpart to Rika's Nekodamashi likely.

Or that could also go towards a Nekoakashi, with her just watching the other foolish Satoko trying to get a false Rika she believes is the one she know and love (which was basically a façade she played for a hundred years), to forever become a prisioner in her perfect Hinamizawa.

Whichever it is, the last laugh goes to Eua, who will keep getting joy out of their tragedies lol

Ryukishi implies Kagurashi is a completely new arc, so I'm inclined to say the former, but we ARE also getting a conclusion to the gun scene, as well, so maybe both.
Sep 2, 2021 6:52 PM
Jun 2017
The segment where K1 enters Satoko's house and opens the sliding door to the living room with Teppei's corpse's doesn't make a lot of logical sense because as he enters the room, with common sense, the blood can be easily discovered on the walls even if the lights are off or alternatively he can smell the scent of blood immediately and realize something's wrong and deduce that Satoko was the one who murdered Teppei.

There's another fact that pretending that it's one of the gameboards shown in Umineko, it's not confirmed if the game master is either Satoko or Eua but in this scenario; if K1 discovers that Satoko was Teppei's murderer and able to dodge Satoko's attack with the baseball bat, that could create a potential logic error that the game master must correct by solving it by themselves or admit to their mistake causing the gameboard to be destroyed like what Battler has to experience in Episode 6
Sep 2, 2021 7:00 PM

Feb 2014
Unlimited Bonk Works. The red flying over the air was a sight to see. No higurashi without a smashed bone or two. No that the cards have been stacked, let's see what's in store next.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Sep 2, 2021 7:06 PM

Jan 2013
Danpmss said:
vegeta8639 said:

Well, the Kagura in Kagurashi refers to God's Entertainment, which is a Shinto ceremonial dance, that could also point out to Eua's entertainment.

On the other hand, the Higurashi arc titles always have wordplays in them
Regarding Kagurashi-hen as a wordplay:
神楽
かぐら
ひよッとこづらの者。「お-」里神楽の馬鹿の仮面より此称起る。

Could refer to the mask of the fool in Sato Kagura, as in "they who are fools/act like a child", which might as well refer to OG Satoko, and not her Bern-like looping self counterpart.

I wonder, Sato(ko)kagura on itself definitely fits like a glove lul, and so does the definition.

"The foolish child (of man) who became God's entertainment" perhaps.

That can apply both to Eua's observing OG Satoko in a kakera that provides her fun times (Rika-less kakera?), as she calls herself a fool, and acts like a kid. A counterpart to Rika's Nekodamashi likely.

Or that could also go towards a Nekoakashi, with her just watching the other foolish Satoko trying to get a false Rika she believes is the one she know and love (which was basically a façade she played for a hundred years), to forever become a prisioner in her perfect Hinamizawa.

Whichever it is, the last laugh goes to Eua, who will keep getting joy out of their tragedies lol

Ryukishi implies Kagurashi is a completely new arc, so I'm inclined to say the former, but we ARE also getting a conclusion to the gun scene, as well, so maybe both.

I am so confused what any of that has to do with my post.
Sep 2, 2021 7:24 PM

Jul 2012
JackDSF123 said:
And now you're twisting what I said to try to make you sound right.

My guy, I'm not twisting a thing, I even paraphrased you. I have nothing to "twist" out of your phrase. You literally said Higurashi doesn't have an established unreliable perspective structure in its storytelling elaborated from the start like Umineko, and I literally proved you dead wrong with clear evidence of the contrary.

But let's go by parts:
FIRST:
First: you are comparing Onikakushi where K1 was in advanced stages of HS with Tataridamashi in which he is lucid throughout the entire arc, if you say he was in advanced stages of HS in tataridamashi it would make sense that he is a "unreliable narrator",

If you read the VNs, or also watched the Higurashi Kai anime, you would know that, to quote myself from the other post (which I do suggest you to take a look):

Danpmss said:

This whole text is specifically refering to the Hinamizawa Syndrome, since nobody bothers to actually revisit previous stuff and rather just dismiss everything as bullshit, I'll quote (also from Minagoroshi chapter 26):

There are three categories of externally caused mental diseases:

traumatically induced, substance abuse induced, and chemical imbalance induced.

Traumatically induced disorders are cases resulting from damage to the brain from trauma or infection that influences the mind.
This is the reason personalities can change as a result of head injuries.

Substance abuse, as the name suggests, refers to cases where drugs, especially alcohol or stimulants, have influenced the mind.

The last category is chemical imbalances.
These are cases where some ailment in the patient's body causes abnormal secretions of bodily chemicals which then influence the brain's functions.

In here we have:

1- K1 is in shock with all the blood he sees once he turn on the lights, and rapidly after is immediately hit from behind by a baseball bat in the head with full force, blood everywhere, head trauma likely guaranteed hue

2- K1 secreting in abundance many bodily chemicals through his blood and sweat, paired with a lot of pain and distress, could make him, much like the soldiers from Hinamizawa during the war to which the aforementioned quote is talking about, go L5 very quickly. with or without the syringe (which, might I add AND remind you, only serves to accelerate the process of an infected individual immediately to higher levels).

Therefore, it makes perfect sense that, in Higurashi's own rules, he can become an unreliable perspective at the very moment he suffers an assault and head trauma, and begins to hallucinate after seeing Teppei's body (which he definitely imagines as alive and attacking him, as shown in Tataridamashi). He never even bat (pun intended) an eye to Satoko at all, who is the one assaulting him, he is quite in shock and derranged at that point and thinks it's Teppei. The rest of the scene is all in his immagination, the blood was all already there.

SECOND:
however: "Knox's 8th: It is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not presented." presents me with a single evidence in tataridamashi that K1 has the same type of "unreliable narrator" as in Onikakushi.

You were complaining about me seemingly accepting that you need Umineko to understand what was going on in this Higurashi anime (which is bullshit, the unreliable narration works the same as it ever did since the start), and now YOU ARE USING UMINEKO'S KNOX RULES IN HIGURASHI? LOL

Higurashi has literal deus ex machinas and Hanyuu manisfested in physical form by the time Matsuribayashi hits. It doesn't follow Fair Play Murder Mystery rules, because IT ISN'T A FAIR PLAY MURDER MYSTERY. Umineko is one, in a crazy ass complex way that somehow is solidly consistent because of how it deconstructs it.

And even if we were to ignore that fact entirely, THERE IS EVIDENCE for what you are asking. Tataridamashi's finale has a grainy filter that only pops up when HS people are going nuts, and that's a quite consistent thing throughout Gou and Sotsu. What they are seeing, according to this episode, is greatly exaggerated, be the damage to their bodies to blood loss (K1 was much less damage than in Tataridamashi). But where is the evidence and foreshadowing?

Do rewatch Tataridamashi 5, to also quote the other post:
Danpmss said:

You will see that there's blood in the entire scene, and K1 hitting "Teppei" only adds more fresh blood already in the scene (particularly, the telephone has no blood in it until K1 is out of the perspective seemingly adding more blood from "Teppei" to an already bloodied phone that wasn't like that just a second before, not that it matters even then, since the blood is being added on top of what was already there), blood which, according to this episode, was K1's own while Satoko was bonking him hard, and not Teppei's.

And to further prove that point, back in Tataridamashi, the grainy filter starts IMMEDIATELY AFTER he turn the lights on and gets hit from behind, and not in front of him where Teppei apparently was in that scene (which in this episode instead is more straightforward and shows that he didn't fall towards the table nor lost as much blood from Satoko's first bonk).

Anyway, those are minor details that get noticeable rather quickly if you actually try and compare the both eps in a revisit, which nobody will, so I'll do it in your behalf (Gou EP 13, start from around 19min 15 sec).

So hey, it seems this gets your Knox 8th approval, would you look at that. There were clear hints that his was an unreliable perspective in Tataridamashi.

THIRD:

Yes, "unreliable narrator" is "unreliable narrator" but this varies in intensity and type. Intensity in the case of how affected is the point of view followed, if low intensity or L5. The other type of "unreliable narrator" is what happens when we are not following a specific point of view (or just don't know that we are following the POV of someone) that is used in Umineko, and no I don't hate that type of "unreliable narrator". If it's done right (as it was during Umi's story) it's very good, but my problem here is to use this second type in Higurashi that never used this second type and only used the first type where we followed a specific point of view and never in third person. Again, the scene would make sense if who attacked Keiichi had been Ooishi from the start, as then at least we would have a change of point of view in tataridamashi to reflect the unreliable point of view of Ooishi.

Already answered this partially. People in L4 already hallucinate, and K1 is one individual that is canonically described to be easily distressed and paranoid, much more susceptible to trigger his HS than others.

Umineko uses a different kind of unreliable narration than Higurashi, you shouldn't try comparing them. Everyone except Mion and Rika are unreliable perspectives at some point, when they are in the spotlight, because they are already infected to begin with and their stories are usually a descent into madness. Mion never was a PoV in the OG, so only Rika is reliable overall.

Umineko follows a structure in which only a single character in the entire cast is a detective perspective that can only be unreliable if drugged or drunk, and furthermore follows very strictly with crazy subversions and deconstructions a fair play structure.

Higurashi has none of that. The only similarity is the fact a certain character could be in a way considered a detective perspective, and most of the time she isn't even the PoV being followed at all. It's not a detective mystery, so don't treat it like one. There are multiple PoVs in Higurashi, all of which can be unreliable if conditions are met, and in here, K1's was naturally followed.

There are no limitations to how many, or who should be reliable or whatnot. Only Rika and Mion (and maybe Witchtoko with her powers) are reliable at all times in terms of perspective, unless something explicitly goes horribly wrong (aka injected with the syringe that triggers later stages abnormally).

Sep 2, 2021 7:30 PM

Jul 2012
vegeta8639 said:
Danpmss said:

-SNIP-

I am so confused what any of that has to do with my post.

Speculating on what could Kagurashi-hen be about? Like you were doing?
Sep 2, 2021 7:50 PM
Jul 2015
In the previous season with every murder I was with a racing heart. Now it makes me laugh and wanting to watch the next murder.
Sep 2, 2021 7:59 PM

Sep 2014
I wasn't happy with all the "recaps" so far, but willing to overlook that. Seeing best boy Teppei redeem himself brought a smile to my face at least.

Being straight up lied to about a scene that basically never happened though... without any foreshadowing... I honestly can't believe R07 actually thought this was a good idea. That was like him saying fuck fair play and flipping a bird to whoever takes his mysteries seriously and actively tries to solve them.

It's hard to keep faith in the writing of a fair play mystery writer when this happens. Solving this arc basically required a baseless wild guess, which is anything but fair play.
Sep 2, 2021 8:05 PM

Sep 2020
Finally Higurashi as we love it.
But there's no graduation nor school stuff until now
Sep 2, 2021 8:43 PM

Aug 2009
Danmpss back at it again with trying to make it look as eveeyone else just doesn't get Higurashi.

Yes, literally all of MAL posting here except you have no clue what they are talking about.
Sep 2, 2021 8:46 PM
Apr 2021
niko_sb said:
Finally Higurashi as we love it.
But there's no graduation nor school stuff until now

Just as there was no Karma in Gou
Sep 2, 2021 9:09 PM

Jul 2012
ssjokg said:
Danmpss back at it again with trying to make it look as eveeyone else just doesn't get Higurashi.

Yes, literally all of MAL posting here except you have no clue what they are talking about.

I mean, I beg you to differ what I pointed out, anyone really. I'm actually gathering all info on this and the original Higu (sourcing for everyone's convenience as well), and some people in here clearly don't and are making absurd claims (even the Higu anime covered very well all of what I said, even recapped part in Satokowashi during Gou).

But again, only the first part of the reply was towards you, regarding the unreliable definition, so no need for that (I'm more interested on people claiming that this isn't an unreliable perspective that was already there from the start and that apparently came from Umineko (?????), and you are aware of that much and just misunderstood my point, so no biggies there).

I don't see "all of MAL" having much coherent arguments here (even because the average MAL userbase isn't exactly a crowd of experts), but do tone down the "argumentum ad populum" if you may, not very nice.
DanpmssSep 2, 2021 9:23 PM
Sep 2, 2021 9:23 PM

Aug 2019
yeah it’s barely hitting me now how much I dislike this series
Sep 2, 2021 9:25 PM
Jan 2018
Danpmss said:

You literally said Higurashi doesn't have an established unreliable perspective structure in its storytelling elaborated from the start like Umineko, and I literally proved you dead wrong with clear evidence of the contrary.

No, read what I wrote again. I wrote that Higurashi doesn't feature the same kind of "unreliable narrator" that Umineko uses (the kind that appears to be in third person, though that's the game master's point of view in Umineko's case), the kind that Higurashi always uses is based on first person and not in third person or from the Game Master.

Danpmss said:
You were complaining about me seemingly accepting that you need Umineko to understand what was going on in this Higurashi anime (which is bullshit, the unreliable narration works the same as it ever did since the start), and now YOU ARE USING UMINEKO'S KNOX RULES IN HIGURASHI? LOL

Dlanor herself says that the Knox Decalogue are not immutable rules and that they are nothing more than a tool to help the reader understand and get to the truth (episode 5, I just don't remember if it was during the episode itself or during the Tea Party). I'm just using this to symbolize the need for you to present the evidence to say that the point of view over there is Keiichi's and that his point of view is that of an "unreliable narrator" to the same degree as Onikakushi. Because I obviously know that Higurashi is not a story that follows the decalogue to the letter. Even because, as you said, just the existence of Hanyuu already violates Knox 2nd.

Okay, so K1 is really an unreliable point of view. But there is no parallel in Higurashi that shows that the L5 can be reached so quickly naturally. Naturally occurring HS has a considerably slow evolution of symptoms. Only H-173 has the ability to invoke HS symptoms immediately. Yes, he is more unstable than most of Higu's characters (maybe less unstable than Shion), but nothing explains such a rapid natural evolution in symptoms. As I recall, the case of Hinamizawa soldiers in the war was not immediate, it was certainly quicker due to the environment in which they were located and all the stress involved, but not immediately. (By the way, I don't even know why I'm discussing this as the very fact that K1 survived doesn't make sense hahaha).

Well, if he only made it to L4 then it really isn't impossible as in the case of getting to L5. It still bothers me that he went from an apparent lucid state to immediately hallucinate something on that level, but I must admit it's not impossible or as absurd as I had thought.

Danpmss said:
It's not a detective mystery, so don't treat it like one.

I'm NOT considering Higu as a detective mystery, just as a mystery, and although you can't use all the rules of the Knox Decalogue on a mystery, the one I used can and should be used to get to the truth, otherwise any answer or solution, no matter how absurd, could be used to solve. And if any mystery (doesn't need to be a detective) breaks this specific rule, that's a sign of bad writing in terms of the mystery genre. And Higurashi doesn't break this rule in specific (just a little bit in Hanyuu's case, but even for her there are some clues that point to her existence). Before the truth is revealed in Minagoroshi-hen it is possible to arrive at the answers until the end of Tsumihoroboshi-hen.
JackDSF123Sep 2, 2021 10:04 PM
Sep 2, 2021 10:43 PM

Jul 2014
I almost wanna ask people to stop arguing with @Danpmss cuz everytime he writes a bible to defend this train wreck I scroll down like my life depend on it.
Sep 2, 2021 10:48 PM

Aug 2009
Using this quote because it is the main issue in this thread.
Danpmss said:
SkyhighCFC said:

The first arc in the original Higurashi is literally an unreliable narrator in Keiichi. What are you talking about chief?

Dude you realize that nobody is talking about the pov of Keichi right?

Keichi seeing something different is completely different from Keichi seeing nothing and us getting a entire scene of a different character's pov, from a different point of time as Keichi's.

The only thing you "prove" is everyone else right about Gou and OG using an unreliable narrator in a different way.
Sep 2, 2021 10:56 PM

May 2020
The difference is unreliable narration is obvious. Excluding the fact that it's not Keichiis pov.

Even if it was somehow his PoV, in the OG unreliable narration began after a long / whole arc buildup of fear and paranoia, it didn't appear from nowhere. Here it blindsides the viewer, by coming out of nowhere.

I remember when we were coming up with answers after Gou ended, the ONLY part which we couldn't provide a correct answer for was this Teppei Keichii fight. Now we know that this isn't true, I wonder whether this was put there to make people think that a deeper mystery existed when it didn't.

Higurashi was never a fair mystery, but you could come to a reasonable conclusion by yourself. When I first read Higu, I saw the segment in the Staff Room, and disregarded the curse as nonsense. Then after Tatari I knew that Takano wasn't dead, and that she had probably killed Tommy. When Keichii fell off a bridge , and survived, when he reasonably couldn't have, the idea of hallucinations came up... Just like that you can come up with a reasonable answer.
ChargecoulombSep 2, 2021 11:00 PM
Sep 2, 2021 11:00 PM

Jul 2014
The issue with the Teppei scene is that Keiichi COULDN'T HAVE POSSIBLY seen what happen to make a hallucination out of it.

There is a difference between Keiichi mistaking a pen for a needle and us be being shown a scene from 3rd point of view with things that Keiichi couldn't' have seen or understand.

This is just lying to your audience.
Sep 3, 2021 12:03 AM

Nov 2017
daniboi1 said:
So Hanyu is not eua?

Eua has never been hinted at being Hanyuu, it's always been baseless speculation. Apparently because they look kinda similar? (Which I don't even think they do). Also, Eua doesn't even have horns like Hanyuu. Eua has a horseshoe-shaped object floating around her head that contains her memories and personality to keep them intact.
Sep 3, 2021 12:57 AM
May 2021
I honestly love this episode the only complaint that I have is that we have to watch Rika dance like for a thousand times to the point it's getting really annoying...
Sep 3, 2021 2:18 AM

May 2021
what the fuck was this episode, I expected to things change a little after the latest ep and now I just discover that I got straight up lied for the lulz in a scene and all the episode is a recycle

Sep 3, 2021 4:22 AM
Mar 2021
yeah this episode is answering our that keiichi is halucinating killing teppei, but I'm still don't understand why Keiichi can survive.
Sep 3, 2021 4:28 AM

Nov 2014
again another great episode,explaining everything(from Gou) from the beggining. also,i really cant dig Satoko tbh,i had hope that i will see more of Rena or Keiichi this season or maybe even Satoshi,regardless its flawless tho.
Sep 3, 2021 7:01 AM

May 2020
YaKn0w_ said:
yeah this episode is answering our that keiichi is halucinating killing teppei, but I'm still don't understand why Keiichi can survive.

Plot armour, no other reason.
Sep 3, 2021 7:07 AM
May 2021
Devil_Slayer said:
I almost wanna ask people to stop arguing with @Danpmss cuz everytime he writes a bible to defend this train wreck I scroll down like my life depend on it.

Question...what exactly is wrong with what Danpmss is doing? It's not like you have to read his replies or agree with what he's saying. I could easily sit here and ask why the hell you lot feel the need to come here every single week and nitpick on something you didn't like in the episode to further highlight how much you hate GOU/SOTSU. But guess what? I understand that people are entitled to their own opinions and don't have a problem with that.

Maybe you should learn to do that as well, no?
Sep 3, 2021 7:09 AM
May 2021
ssjokg said:
Danpmss said:

Keichi seeing something different is completely different from Keichi seeing nothing and us getting a entire scene of a different character's pov, from a different point of time as Keichi's.

The only thing you "prove" is everyone else right about Gou and OG using an unreliable narrator in a different way.

The original point the guy I responded to tried to make was that OG Higurashi never used any unreliable narration, which is obviously completely false. Stop taking things out of context please.
Sep 3, 2021 7:38 AM
Oct 2019
So we saw what's is the truth from Tataridamashi-hen Part 5 and Nekodamashi-hen Part 1.

Wow they really love Rika Dance scene, yeah it was cool the first time watching it.

Oishi oh Oishi, you just a tool being used by Satoko.
Sad

Alright next arc, we finally gonna see the Satoko Gun Scene in the School.
Sep 3, 2021 7:58 AM

Jul 2014
SkyhighCFC said:
Devil_Slayer said:

Question...what exactly is wrong with what Danpmss is doing? It's not like you have to read his replies or agree with what he's saying. I could easily sit here and ask why the hell you lot feel the need to come here every single week and nitpick on something you didn't like in the episode to further highlight how much you hate GOU/SOTSU. But guess what? I understand that people are entitled to their own opinions and don't have a problem with that.

I am not bothered by him sucking the writer's dick as much I am bothered by how he expresses his replies by writing a wall of text every time. Barely anyone read that shit and it's an eyesore to scroll down every time.
Sep 3, 2021 8:11 AM

Aug 2009
SkyhighCFC said:
ssjokg said:

The original point the guy I responded to tried to make was that OG Higurashi never used any unreliable narration, which is obviously completely false. Stop taking things out of context please.
My point was that he keeps responding to every criticism of the scene with this even when we dont deny that Keichi was an unreliable narrator in the OG.

The problem in Tataridamashi and Tatariakashi is that at the end Keichi isnt even the narrator of the scene. A different character's pov is shoved as his in Gou.

As for the user that said that unreliable narrator didnt exist in OG, he clearly knows that Keichi had scenes where different stuff are shown since they expect L5's hallucinations, but they worded it wrong.

i thought maybe keiichi naturally went L5 somehow and imagined all of the fight, but here everything plays out way too differently to say he was hallucinating.
i don't remember an unreliable narrator case ever happening in the og higurashi, it just feels like bad writing to me.
Sep 3, 2021 8:18 AM

Oct 2014
SkyhighCFC said:
I myself enjoy it, because I'm not actually taking the story THAT seriously anymore.
I mean.. who is taking this seriously at this point? :D

Anyways...the reason I think they decided to not have Rena say that Satoko killed Oishii in GOU is that it would have made her being the culprit extremely obvious, even to those new to the Higurashi story.
Yeah that's true, I can understand that reasoning on doing it, however, I'll still stick with it being a bad way to present it.

R07 always wrote cleverly using the "lies" of a pov and concepts. How much has this degraded into using "tricks" of "simply not showing it" and cutting stuff out.

Danpmss said:
Approximately 4 minutes and 9 seconds of your life were well spent in Rika's Dance. since Gou up til the latest Sotsu ep. Wow, what a cashgrab, it sure means a lot to the overall runtime of 39 episodes...

Try Gundam, GurrenLaggan and Sailor Moon reusing animation for transformations (sometimes up to a minute) for at least 20 or so minutes of the total runtime in certain shows (and yeah, people calculated those).
Try Zenki, there all the new transformations & powerups w/e stacked so that eventually you'd see 2m+ of stock footage in a row within one episode.

But this doesn't mean Sotsu should reuse the Rika dance time and time again.

Danpmss said:
Mein gott.. Are we gonna have a full arc of Rika Dance now?

Danpmss said:
Go back to Tataridamashi 5. You will see that there's blood in the entire scene, and K1 hitting "Teppei" only adds more fresh blood already in the scene (particularly, the telephone has no blood in it until K1 is out of the perspective seemingly adding more blood from "Teppei" to an already bloodied phone that wasn't like that just a second before, not that it matters even then, since the blood is being added on top of what was already there), blood which, according to this episode, was K1's own while Satoko was bonking him hard, and not Teppei's.

And to further prove that point, back in Tataridamashi, the grainy filter starts IMMEDIATELY AFTER he turn the lights on and gets hit from behind, and not in front of him where Teppei apparently was in that scene (which in this episode instead is more straightforward and shows that he didn't fall towards the table nor lost as much blood from Satoko's first bonk).

That grainy filter on top of the animation only shows up in Newgurashi whenever we are seeing someone in an unreliable HS perspective. And only then. Check out every single other episode, this is very consistent.

Anyway, those are minor details that get noticeable rather quickly if you actually try and compare the both eps in a revisit, which nobody will, so I'll do it in your behalf (Gou EP 13, start from around 19min 15 sec).
Just one question...
You do realize that it was Satoko who made those new blood splatters in the very beginning of this episode while bonking Teppei?
Are you trying to tell us that K1 first hallucinates the blood away only hallucinate it back again?

I wonder if you simply just missed that - which would make you a somewhat unreliable narrator - or didn't point that out on purpose in order to back up your argument.
You did say that these minor details are quite noticeable if you try, and that you'd do the examination in our behalf.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Sep 3, 2021 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
Poor Rena for witnessing all that, but Rena seeing Satoko's true colors right dead in front of her eyes might definitely affect future fragments. Satoko's definitely about to get her ass whooped soon.
Sep 3, 2021 8:35 AM
May 2021
Devil_Slayer said:
SkyhighCFC said:

I am not bothered by him sucking the writer's dick as much I am bothered by how he expresses his replies by writing a wall of text every time. Barely anyone read that shit and it's an eyesore to scroll down every time.

Who honestly gives a shit? Let the guy do whatever he wants ffs.
Sep 3, 2021 8:38 AM
May 2021
ssjokg said:
SkyhighCFC said:

My point was that he keeps responding to every criticism of the scene with this even when we dont deny that Keichi was an unreliable narrator in the OG.

The problem in Tataridamashi and Tatariakashi is that at the end Keichi isnt even the narrator of the scene. A different character's pov is shoved as his in Gou.

As for the user that said that unreliable narrator didnt exist in OG, he clearly knows that Keichi had scenes where different stuff are shown since they expect L5's hallucinations, but they worded it wrong.

i thought maybe keiichi naturally went L5 somehow and imagined all of the fight, but here everything plays out way too differently to say he was hallucinating.
i don't remember an unreliable narrator case ever happening in the og higurashi, it just feels like bad writing to me.

fair enough then.
Sep 3, 2021 9:12 AM
Jan 2010
this is fucking embarrassing
not even funny anymore. ryukishi is a total hack. just end it already
Sep 3, 2021 9:33 AM

Sep 2020
I think the creators should stop using drugs
Sep 3, 2021 11:11 AM
Jun 2017
only thing bothering me was after satoko's uncle was shot by her in EP10 he clearly landed on his back and then she beat his head (assumingly) to a pulp

then suddenly next time we see him is head is like...fine? and he also half-lies / half sits in a totally different position
Sep 3, 2021 12:20 PM

Jul 2016
Dude... and when I thought Redo of Healer was going to be my only 1/10 this year...

That said, no surprise here. Atrocious episode once again.
- I'm sick and tired of seeing Rika's dance. Almost as sick and tired as seeing her assuming a miracle happened and then going *pikachu face* when that isn't the case. I mean, how do you expect a miracle to happen when you, THE LOOPER, never do something to change the course of action?
- Keiichi is fucking blind and has no sense of touch nor smell. There is no other explanation for him not seeing nor smelling or feeling Teppei's blood even though he was practically stepping on a puddle of it. Good thing he's an immortal teen tho. He should appear in Tokyo Revengers.
- Satoko being able to hit Keiichi's head from above even though she's way smaller than him.
- They tried to make it look less notorious here but it seems Ooishi still has infinite ammo after all.
- Some random censorship when Ooishi smashed Rika's head with the bat. I mean, GOU didn't censor it so why now?
- Satoko revealed everything about her plans in front of Rena yet Rena never told Keiichi any of this when she visited him at the hospital in GOU. Not to mention she also saw Satoko shooting Rika's corpse and then Ooishi before killing herself but again, she never mentioned any of this in GOU.
- Satoko confessing everything while forgetting/ignoring/not giving a shit about the fact that non-looper people can still retain memories from previous fragments.

And the most important point: Teppei killing Keiichi is revealed to be just part of Satoko's imagination (something Keiichi could have never seen) so why did Keiichi see Teppei attacking him in GOU? Especially since it was never established he was hallucinating nor acting paranoid. Incredible how this series lies to its spectators in such blatant way. At least assume you don't know shit about how POVs work.
Sep 3, 2021 3:35 PM

Oct 2014
Catching up to the last 3 episodes was tiring, good God...

Ohh, look at that. Rika's dance with its ultimate HD glory. I'm proud of you Passione for creating a such beautiful scene. Can't wait to see it again in the next arc, absolutely unchanged because it's perfect as it is.

Anyway. Rika's still a dumbass, Satoko is a bitch, Keiichi is immortal, everyone is dumb, and Passione kept reusing old scenes. As per usual, I see. Also, I need to know how fucking vague the original script is because the difference between anime and manga is ridiculous. "Ooshi will come to the festival in L5 state and shoot some people. Make sure the twins died because of a gunshot right in front of Rika while Keiichi will get beaten up by a bat, don't care who did it tho. You can imagine the rest by yourself", and then Passione with their giga galaxy brain decided to be creative with it and this is the result?

There's also the fact they literally lied in Gou LMAO. Fucking ridiculous. That ain't "unreliable narrator", chief, that's a lie. How in the hell we, as the audience, were led to believe that Keiichi was hallucinating about him beating Teppei with a bat when it's absolutely untrue and is literally the opposite? That's Satoko's lie to Ooshi, which we didn't even know about until now. Why even bother showing it to us in the first place, then? Oh right, we need to add shock value.

This isn't the same as Keiichi mistaking a marker with a syringe or thinking there's a needle inside a food, buddy. Who are you fooling? Oh wait, it's apparently everyone because some people are believing it.

Anyway, for some reason, I have a suspicion that the last 4 episodes ain't the finale...
Sep 3, 2021 3:49 PM
Apr 2021
LockeGran said:

Anyway, for some reason, I have a suspicion that the last 4 episodes ain't the finale...

There's probably gonna be either OVA or full movie.
Maybe even 3rd season, but I'll doubt they could drag it for so long.
Or maybe there'll be "HEY EVERYONE, WE LIED TO YOU, THERE'S GONNA BE NOT 15 BUT 24 EPISODES!!!!" lmao
Sep 3, 2021 6:33 PM

Jun 2011
boring and annoying.
as expected, the only thing ooishi could say was itchy itchy itchy.
there's so much wrong with it it would be a waste of time to type it all again.
this show is so pathetic I can't wait for it to be finally over

also funny how there's ALWAYS some replies in the episode threads like "oh finally it's the good higurashi as we know and love it!!!!"
is that irony? are people blind and deaf watching it / just dumb?
Sep 3, 2021 6:57 PM
May 2020
Wow. I’m speechless even though we saw this coming. I’m surprised by the fact that Keiichi vs Teppi was just a story that Satoko made up. Rena’s face at the end really hurt to watch. Just imagine seeing all your friends brutally murdered before your eyes.
Sep 3, 2021 7:08 PM
May 2021
Lyree said:
boring and annoying.
as expected, the only thing ooishi could say was itchy itchy itchy.
there's so much wrong with it it would be a waste of time to type it all again.
this show is so pathetic I can't wait for it to be finally over

also funny how there's ALWAYS some replies in the episode threads like "oh finally it's the good higurashi as we know and love it!!!!"
is that irony? are people blind and deaf watching it / just dumb?

"Oh someone enjoys something that I don't? They must be retarded/don't have my insane IQ!" \s
Sep 3, 2021 7:27 PM
May 2021
SouthRzVa said:
Dude... and when I thought Redo of Healer was going to be my only 1/10 this year...

That said, no surprise here. Atrocious episode once again.
- I'm sick and tired of seeing Rika's dance. Almost as sick and tired as seeing her assuming a miracle happened and then going *pikachu face* when that isn't the case. I mean, how do you expect a miracle to happen when you, THE LOOPER, never do something to change the course of action?
- Keiichi is fucking blind and has no sense of touch nor smell. There is no other explanation for him not seeing nor smelling or feeling Teppei's blood even though he was practically stepping on a puddle of it. Good thing he's an immortal teen tho. He should appear in Tokyo Revengers.
- Satoko being able to hit Keiichi's head from above even though she's way smaller than him.
- They tried to make it look less notorious here but it seems Ooishi still has infinite ammo after all.
- Some random censorship when Ooishi smashed Rika's head with the bat. I mean, GOU didn't censor it so why now?
- Satoko revealed everything about her plans in front of Rena yet Rena never told Keiichi any of this when she visited him at the hospital in GOU. Not to mention she also saw Satoko shooting Rika's corpse and then Ooishi before killing herself but again, she never mentioned any of this in GOU.
- Satoko confessing everything while forgetting/ignoring/not giving a shit about the fact that non-looper people can still retain memories from previous fragments.

And the most important point: Teppei killing Keiichi is revealed to be just part of Satoko's imagination (something Keiichi could have never seen) so why did Keiichi see Teppei attacking him in GOU? Especially since it was never established he was hallucinating nor acting paranoid. Incredible how this series lies to its spectators in such blatant way. At least assume you don't know shit about how POVs work.

- Part of me wants to believe that them showing the dance over and over again is telling us that it might have some plot importance later on. It could also just be lazy production though considering they've reused a lot of scenes in SOTSU. However, the 2nd part about Rika "not doing anything to change the outcome" is a blatant lie. In the 1st arc, she attempted to get Keichii to trust Rena. In the original this would've worked. Same goes for her telling Keichii to give Mion the doll. Again, under normal circumstances, this would've worked. This arc she didn't really try anything different though tbf and had pretty much already given up, so for this arc you have a point.
- Yep this part annoyed me a bit as well. But even if he saw the blood on the floor or smelled it, what could he have done other than run? Still not an excuse for him to have all his senses turned off conveniently though.
- If you watch the clip again, the top of the bat hits Keichii's head. It doesn't hit him directly side on.
- He fired 3 shots in this scene if I'm not mistaken, unless I'm missing something?
- This was pointless...agreed.
- Said this earlier in this discussion, but it's likely that Rena told Keichii what happened in detail off screen. In GOU she told him that Oishii came to the festival, started firing at people and that all their friends died, then she started crying. Nothing she said was a lie and it's reasonable that remembering something like that would cause a little girl to cry. It's pretty obvious that this will come in to play in the coming episodes due to the whole "remembering past fragments" plot point. Why would they show Rena telling Keichii that Satoko shot Oishii and Rika in GOU? That would literally fully reveal that Satoko was the culprit right there and then.
- Probably how she's going to lose. Her "witch" persona will be careless because she's having fun destroying her friends lives and it will eventually cause her downfall. Pretty cheap if you ask me but whatever.

- The whole unreliable narration thing was discussed enough in this discussion already so I'm not going to delve into that, but just to clarify, Keichii didn't see what we saw in GOU. It's pretty obvious that what we saw in GOU was a visual representation of what Satoko told Oishii happened.
Sep 3, 2021 7:32 PM

Jul 2007
The pacing of this arc has been hella weird. For the first time, I'm having some big doubts about how this season is gonna be wrapped up. Will any of this be worth a rewatch in the future? I can only watch Eau laugh and Rika dance so many times. Following this vs. Kai in 2008 is worlds different and not in good ways anymore
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2021

397 by Hizketmar »»
Aug 8, 12:45 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2021

160 by Hizketmar »»
Aug 8, 4:24 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2021

412 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 4:37 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2021

215 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

121 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 3:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.