Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (36) « First ... « 32 33 [34] 35 36 »
Oct 30, 2020 8:55 PM

Jan 2020
Mapo Tofu song should have been the song for that last conversation between Otonashi and Kanade.
Nov 6, 2020 12:19 AM

Jan 2017
Great finale, shame the rest of the 12 episodes failed to match with the various plotpoints brought up to be immediately discarded.

I hereby dub this show as "Wasted Potential: the anime"
Nov 8, 2020 7:46 AM
Sep 2020
The ending was pain in the ass, It made me cry.
Nov 10, 2020 5:41 PM

Sep 2020
9 years has passed since I watched this show and I'm still crying whenever I remember it.
Like a child.
Dec 8, 2020 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
meh just another overrated shit
Dec 12, 2020 10:23 PM
Oct 2019
A beautiful anime ending. From start to finish, I was on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. So glad I finally started and finished this anime. I would recommend it to everyone.
Jan 1, 2021 2:34 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Well, on a second rewatch, my opinion on the show change, for the better, but still not quite there.
Jan 22, 2021 10:28 PM

Aug 2017
Well, that was my second favourite this season, only topped by Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei. A fantantic ending, its so conclusive. Its a very good drama anime and the comedy is quite funny.

I was spoiled about the twist years ago but damn, it was so well done and THERE'S NO PLOT HOLE cuz u need to THINK:

-Otonashi was pulled back from death to limbo -since he died before Kanade and prolonged her life with his heart, her regret, not thanking him for his heart, made him wander in between worlds waiting for her to arrive in the Afterlife-. Supported by his memory loss.
-Otonashi is the programmer. Supported by Angel Beats!: Another Epilogue
-The timeline in Purgatory is mix and the person can come conscious whenever, regardless of their time of death. Supported by Shiina possibly being from feudal Japan and the Afterlife doesn't abide by logic rules.

I enjoyed this anime, its a shame the author writing went downhill after this. I even watched the inferior version first -Charlotte- 9/10 for the anime
NurguburuOct 1, 2021 5:03 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 20, 2021 7:45 AM

Aug 2020
It was a beautiful ending, very emotional and lovely. I'd really like to see more explanations about the world itself, and I think the cast could be a bit shorter, but in a whole I enjoyed this anime a lot. Unforgettable.

Mar 8, 2021 4:48 PM

Jan 2020
Well that was one cliche ending.
Ah how long I've been waiting for to finally get past this anime..
Feels too good.

Postives:
-the OP - decent not great
-the ED - decent not great
-the OST - decent not great
-the whole organ thing (just because it seemed like a pretty decent twist)
-Naoi since he looks like hanako + voiced by hanako's VA

Negatives
-Everything else

Overall: 2/10
don't go hating on me
Mar 21, 2021 5:37 AM

Aug 2013
That was a pretty satisfying conclusion. I honestly feel that if the past 2 episodes were just Otonashi and Kanade going around helping others find peace it would have been better than what we got but whatever.

I did not see that twist at the end coming, mostly because it makes no sense with the information we have. But when I think about it Otonashi's name itself is a spoiler of the fact that he has no heartbeat so that's a nice touch.

Overall as a lot of people have probably guessed if this were a 2-cour anime and explained loose ends better it would have been a much better watch. As it is it's a very neat idea with wobbly execution. The effort put into the music, visuals and VAs however elevate it above mediocrity and I won't say I didn't feel at least a nudge of satisfaction seeing everyone disappear in the ending (I was so glad Otonashi vanished too, implying he got over his heartbreak and didn't end up like the programmer). 7/10, glad I could finally watch it.
Apr 10, 2021 5:33 PM
Dec 2020
People come to the spirit world to overcome the regrets of their lives. What happened to them when they were alive isn't their fault.
Once they are reborn, it's no guarantee that something bad won't happen to them again. Because if something happens and they die, they have to go to spirit world again. It's an endless cycle of pain and suffering.
Yohan_LiebertApr 10, 2021 11:41 PM
Apr 21, 2021 6:15 PM

May 2017
A decent closer I guess. The concept itself was decent but nothing ever made any sense. Trashy under-developed throw away character cast. Shit art style yea there wasn't anything I liked about this show. Ep9 and maybe this final episode were the only ones that I would consider "decent". Very happy that its over now! good riddance
Apr 26, 2021 11:24 PM

Feb 2020
So this was a better version of death parade. (A afterlife portrayed a healing place instead of torturing dead people with nonsensical amusement games)

It was pretty good and some episodes were really emotional (yui episode and the ending hit hard), but still it kind of have flaws too. many character and their past were not explored and logic and twist at some places were not well explained and vague. I think just like charlotte, 13 episode were not enough to explore everything.

Overall a decent show 7/10. Still, It had more potential.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 30, 2021 3:43 PM
Jun 2020
for some reason i really loved the humor in this show, it was so funny! anyway the ending was emotional but a bit confusing.god damn tho this show feels weird sometimes! in one scene i can cry my balls off, the other be laughing out loud. like, the parts where its good its so good and emotional and then it goes back to characters with like 2 secondes of screen time!
i absolutely love kanade, and TK is my man! still, i don't think any character was bad perse there where allot that didn't really matter, or weren't very interesting. the story was pretty good but felt incomplete. which is a shame cause i really in joyed this show.there just weren't enough episodes. well it wasn't perfect but still very good

8/10
chani-chanApr 30, 2021 3:49 PM
May 23, 2021 3:47 AM

Feb 2021
The feels, they got to me in the end. The moment Kanade told Yuzuru that she received his heart when she was alive was the moment I instantly broke down. That really got me.

This show had its ups and downs. It's not perfect by any means, and that's totally okay. It's not easy to get everything fleshed out in a 13 episode series. But there were a lot of things that felt absolutely wonderful in it too. The OP and ED (including the final ED) were stunning and already added to my playlist. The outro credits video coupled with the great ED that throughout the show put up the characters and then proceeded to remove them in the final episode was heartbreaking and peaceful at the same time. I'm quite satisfied with the post-credits final scene. Seeing them "meet up" in their reincarnated lives was refreshing and hopeful.

Despite its flaws, a really heartwarming, decently humorous at times, tear-inducing story with likable characters series that will be remembered for the ages.
Aug 7, 2021 2:53 AM

Apr 2021
Well I got to say from the first episode to the Last(13th episode)...Angel Beats made me go through a lot of things I laughed , I smiled and I was sad...This show was just amazing the ending gave me mixed feelings but hey they do show a scene where Otonashi and Kanade meet...the ending of this show has a lot of theories but anyway from the way I see it I guess , both of them(Otonashi and Kanade) meet at some point at some place...Imma leave that at that...10/10 ^^
Aug 15, 2021 12:52 AM

Dec 2020
I cried :(. This anime has a very sad ending in my opinion it even made me shed tears. However, the footage after the ending song makes me wonder what happened after that. Will they meet again? That's the only opinion I can think of.
Oct 25, 2021 6:58 AM

Aug 2020
That ending was beautiful... I thought I was over crying about anime T^T

I'll probably rate this a 7/10 because although the ending makes me want to give it an 8, there wasn't anything special about this anime. The character design was very basic and so were a lot of their personalities.

I'm still gonna watch the OVA because I'm watching on Netflix and it comes up as episode 14. Might watch the alternative ending too, but I have heard some negative opinions about it.
Nov 13, 2021 7:28 PM

Aug 2013
I'm so happy I waited to watch this anime until I was an adult and could fully enjoy it lol! I remember seeing those online wallpapers on animewallpapers.com or something when I was 11 or 12, and was so excited to watch it someday because it looked pretty.
The emotions and topics this show touched on was handled beautifully, and although the ending seemed a bit rushed, i really enjoyed it. I wish we had more insight into everyone's backstories, but hey.,.. this show is old, so that's not happening lol
Overall, I enjoyed this a lot! I give it a 8/10 :)
Dec 11, 2021 10:06 AM

Aug 2008
I truly can not understand how anyone can find this to be emotional. It is all so forced and no time spent with these people for me to care at all about them. Worse, the few we do get some time spent on are all characters I don't like at all. The stupid kid calling himself "god"? Yui, one of the most irritating girls ever put to screen? An MC in Otonashi who has to be one of the most eye rollingly perfect specimens ever to grace the tv screen? Ugh. Maybe if this was a 24 episode series and every member of the Battlefront got an episode devoted to them I would have cared more but instead most just disappear leaving me cold.

Looking back the only episode I cared at all about was Episode 3 with the original vocalist in the band. That episode actually managed to carry emotion in it and I actually had a smile when she found peace with herself and vanished. Can't say the same with any of the others.

Never thought I'd say this but after rewatching Angel Beats I think I actually like Charlotte better. Sure the final episode of Charlotte was a steaming pile of crap but the overall story and its characters had more emotion than this show gave me. Angel Beats just doesn't work for me. 5/10 show, didn't outright hate its story is so simpering and characters so bland its not surprising I didn't remember much. No need for a 2nd rewatch...
Jan 13, 2022 1:54 AM

Mar 2020
these crybait shows aged like milk
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jan 15, 2022 6:37 AM

Jul 2021
Holy shit the ending was sad af.

This was the only episode wherewe got to see happy Yuri and happy Kanade, Kanade was extra cute in thsi episode.

The graduation was nice.

Man Kanade had Otonashi's heart transplanted into her was the biggest revelation of this anime, I was just sitting here in shock.

It was so heart breaking to see Otonashi ask Kanade to stay back but she just disappeared :/ They didn't even show us that he disappeared but the ED song and the post-credit scene confirmed that he did. Dunno if they will remember anything from their afterlife but still I hope they are able to get back together.

Overall 8/10. Would have liked it if it was 2 cour and everything was explained in more detail. Great anime, though didn't live up to the expectations of extreme sadness, everyone said this anime is very sad but I only ever cried in 4 episodes so far so can't really call it very sad, I've cried in almost every episode of KnY and that's not even that sad. Emotional impact could have been better if they gave us enough time to get attached to characters, still it did whatever it could in 13 episodes and it was great.

Looking forward to seeing the specials.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 19, 2022 8:56 AM
Aug 2020
Just finished it, lovely ending, but the series as a whole is a mixed bag imo

On the one hand it’s pretty unique and has some interesting ideas, and some effective emotional storytelling.
On the other hand, the first half of the show is finally all over the place, and much of the world and concepts introduced feel rushed or underdeveloped (that scene with the hacker NPC is the cherry on top for that point)
Jan 21, 2022 3:30 AM
Dec 2020
Tbh the ending was bad probably "okay". Like is not bad but they didn't explained sh*t. Did Kanade died at a young age or she grow older and suffered with dementia, so that could explain why she looked like a child (at least 13 y/o) and Yuri's death ???? Otanashi wtf was that sh*t asking Kanade to stay ??? 7/10
Feb 12, 2022 1:03 PM

Apr 2019
Well after watching it the second time and reading the prequel manga (which I highly recommend since it shines so much light on some plot holes as well as providing some much needed character development to some characters), I've definitely come to appreciate love about this anime more than I already have.

The characters, story (to which I still love despite the major pacing issues that were caused due to it only having 13 episodes), the OST and visuals which made me fall in love with this series to begin with. Everything about this anime is phenomenal. Yes, there are some: gaping plot holes, undeveloped characters and plot lines, and again, the massive pacing issue. But despite all of these flaws, I still thoroughly enjoyed watching this series.
Feb 15, 2022 11:00 AM

May 2016
Solid 8/10 this is my first rewatch, been years since I rewatched a show but I promised myself I would give this anime a second chance cause I didn't watch properly in the first time, I wish we could get more anime like this now days, almost everything turned towards the famous tide of issekai and the only good ones can be counted using hands.

Feb 23, 2022 11:01 PM

Oct 2021
This wasn't a bad ending like people were saying, Despite the flaws i consider this a good ending. However if they would have focused more on disappearance of other characters rather than wasting the whole last episode on graduation ceremony shit, it could have been more touching.
They also left many things left like what was reason of death of Yuri and Kanade(Even after she received heart transplant) All that aside, End Credits visuals made me feel a bit sad.
Strong points of this series were Characters, Visuals and OST(OP & ED too). Story was fine nothing great but plot was very unique which is one of the reason for me rating this a +1.
Overall, this was a very good watch for a 13 episode series 8/10.
Feb 24, 2022 2:00 AM
Feb 2022
I'm looking forward to the Visual Novels that will be released. I want to know how time works in the world of Angel Beats! Mysterious stuff~ (Stuff like Angel getting there before Otonashi, or Shiina still being around. If you want to watch free anime series then visit
https://watchfreeanimes.com/category/animes/english-subbed/

SidrahiojazFeb 24, 2022 2:20 AM
Apr 3, 2022 7:05 AM

Sep 2020
I'm rewatching this 12 years later.
Still crying like the first time.

This anime was so emotional.
So deep, so true... I can't explain in a proper way.
May 18, 2022 5:58 PM

Jul 2021
That after credits scene at the very end still makes me think about the anime to this day
May 21, 2022 10:34 PM

Mar 2021
That tofu song was really cute :)

Not the best ending ever, but had me a little bit misty.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Jul 1, 2022 5:44 PM

Aug 2017
Holy fucking shit this ending just destroyed me. I just started sobbing for a few minutes. The music in this anime is amazing. It played on my emotions so fucking well. I did see the confession coming but that she was the person his heart was donated to was something that came out of left field and rolled a 20 on wrecking my emotions. Kudos to whoever made this anime, they did it so well.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jul 3, 2022 4:41 PM
May 2021
Shit I cried so much :(
Jul 3, 2022 5:05 PM
May 2021
We need more Anime like this
Sep 30, 2022 3:29 AM
Jul 2018
this is a truly Amazing finale and one of the saddest ending I've seen that final scene with Yuzuru and Kanade was so sad that I cried I hope in the next life they'll be together
removed-userOct 2, 2022 5:14 AM
Oct 17, 2022 11:02 AM
Mar 2013
So good yet so painful </3
Oct 21, 2022 12:13 PM
Oct 2022
No, I'm not crying. It's just a rainy day.
Nov 7, 2022 11:16 PM

Jul 2022
Pff the part where Kanade says that she lived thanks to Yuzuru for her heart blanked me out and then the whole feeling hit me.

The first time I saw this anime I didn't cry at all, it's the little I remember from that time I saw it and that's why I didn't have a great opinion of it (I came with that expectation on that occasion), but this time there were some occasions, even where just one more push was missing and I would break, like in Yuzuru's death where Igarashi spoke to him and the roof would just open and this episode.

Nov 17, 2022 11:36 PM
Jan 2021
It was heartbreaking. I have never seen something that has made me cry more. The feeling of sadness and loneliness I felt watching the build up. One person to another, accepting it all and moving was just so emotional. How they just disappear like that, not a trace of their existence, only the memory. Seeing Ootonashi crying out for Kanade after she disappeared broke me. I felt real sadness coming out of this person. Sometimes, that's just how passing on is.
Nov 17, 2022 11:36 PM
Jan 2021
It was heartbreaking. I have never seen something that has made me cry more. The feeling of sadness and loneliness I felt watching the build up. One person to another, accepting it all and moving was just so emotional. How they just disappear like that, not a trace of their existence, only the memory. Seeing Ootonashi crying out for Kanade after she disappeared broke me. I felt real sadness coming out of this person. Sometimes, that's just how passing on is.
Dec 9, 2022 8:32 AM
Nov 2022
Greatest episode
Dec 19, 2022 1:48 PM

Jul 2017
End of my rewatch. I knew exactly what was coming but still, cried hard again like the first time. When I watched this series back in 2020 Summer, I was in 1st year of high school. And now, I will *probably* graduate in 1-2 weeks. The "graduation" scene hit much harder than my first watch. This series will always have a special place in my heart, after rewatching Angel Beats, I know why it is irreplaceable. Perfect ending for a perfect series.
Dec 23, 2022 2:09 AM

Jul 2014
This was one of the best endings i've seen in an anime. Ngl, I was touched especially by the mc story, great backstories and character development

Was a great watch

9/10
Dec 27, 2022 11:31 PM
Nov 2021
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiu
Jan 6, 2023 4:19 PM

Dec 2020
Romance wasn't the focus and it felt a little shoehorned in along with the organ donor bit. Without it the reincarnation could've just taken a step in a different direction. Like instead of finding each other again he could've been happy with his sister again but she was not one of the main characters.

Overall it started it off generic, tropey and atypical. Though that was all an facade to throw you off with the twist of what was really happening. Good series.
Jan 7, 2023 7:47 PM
Feb 2022
yeah so, this show was by no means perfect, but oh my god for an original anime from 13 years ago I wasn't expecting to enjoy it nearly as much as I did. Ending was just perfect I also wasn't expecting "tenshi" to be otonashis sister which really hit me like a truck, and in general I have to say that shit was just beatiful and worth watching
Jan 12, 2023 12:44 AM
Dec 2022
was very good and sad
Jan 15, 2023 9:04 AM
Aug 2019
Always a satisfying wrap-up episode.
Jan 17, 2023 7:19 AM
Feb 2019
I'll give it a 9/10 because some of the scenes are quite emotional, but without reason about some side characters disappearing is really frustrating.
Pages (36) « First ... « 32 33 [34] 35 36 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Apr 30, 2010

610 by LeondoStark »»
Sep 21, 4:18 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 16, 2010

481 by Akita_Han »»
Sep 8, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by TlordGaming »»
Sep 7, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 9, 2010

484 by AnimatedAddict »»
Aug 22, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 2, 2010

677 by AnimatedAddict »»
Aug 22, 12:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.