Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 6, 2017 6:40 AM

Feb 2016
Yagami-Zero said:
Maybe he's not the smartest of all, but Yang-Wenli is probably the greatest military mind I have seen in anime.

I remember thinking the opposite during the second episode of LotGH, his group was able to split up go around the enemy and turn around before the enemy could even respond, then the enemy decides to go in a big circle to catch yang, while yang had enough time to turn his ships around and start shooting, but for some reason the enemy just can't. It seems like a poorly thought out adaptation of roman battles without thinking through how anything would work in space.
then a ring gets created (who knows how much later since time is depicted very incompetently, since every decision seems to be a quick barely thought through one I assume it's all going very fast yet the creation of a ring seems to go slowly, they say it takes hours, which makes the enemy coming up with a plan only after yang turned his ships around seem even wierder) and the ring is exactly 50/50 yang and enemy, which seems like a terrible idea from yang, he could easily either thin his backline so there's less to shoot for the enemy and strenghten/thicken his frontline to have more firepower, but since his ship are far better at turning and seem to have way better mobility, shown by him circling the enemy before they could respond, forming a circle seems to not use that mobility at all (but I honestly doubt the writer thought of being able to circle the enemy and turn around to start shooting before they could respond as something that would show better mobility, since the whole thing seems poorly thought out).
But still since he had the time he could turned some of the ships that were at the rear around to catch the enemy once they reach the back.

But that's just one episode, maybe he became somewhat competent later on in the show instead of relying on better ships and luck, I'l watch it one day (for the 100 episodes challenge).
SnufkinNov 6, 2017 6:56 AM
Nov 6, 2017 6:50 AM

Apr 2017
MY opinion, kiritsugu from Fate/Zero and Lelouch from Code;Geass.
When captured birds grow wiser, they try to open the cage with their beaks. They don't give up, because they want to fly again.

Nov 6, 2017 7:43 AM

Aug 2012
avory said:
Yagami-Zero said:
Maybe he's not the smartest of all, but Yang-Wenli is probably the greatest military mind I have seen in anime.

I remember thinking the opposite during the second episode of LotGH, his group was able to split up go around the enemy and turn around before the enemy could even respond, then the enemy decides to go in a big circle to catch yang, while yang had enough time to turn his ships around and start shooting, but for some reason the enemy just can't. It seems like a poorly thought out adaptation of roman battles without thinking through how anything would work in space.
then a ring gets created (who knows how much later since time is depicted very incompetently, since every decision seems to be a quick barely thought through one I assume it's all going very fast yet the creation of a ring seems to go slowly, they say it takes hours, which makes the enemy coming up with a plan only after yang turned his ships around seem even wierder) and the ring is exactly 50/50 yang and enemy, which seems like a terrible idea from yang, he could easily either thin his backline so there's less to shoot for the enemy and strenghten/thicken his frontline to have more firepower, but since his ship are far better at turning and seem to have way better mobility, shown by him circling the enemy before they could respond, forming a circle seems to not use that mobility at all (but I honestly doubt the writer thought of being able to circle the enemy and turn around to start shooting before they could respond as something that would show better mobility, since the whole thing seems poorly thought out).
But still since he had the time he could turned some of the ships that were at the rear around to catch the enemy once they reach the back.

But that's just one episode, maybe he became somewhat competent later on in the show instead of relying on better ships and luck, I'l watch it one day (for the 100 episodes challenge).

Relying on better ships and luck is no a bad thing in my book, the greatest military minds of our history also had luck but that don't make them bad military minds.
I watched 60 episodes so far and he's super clever in the way he does things, the mayor problem with him is that his army is always the smallest or his superiors are just plain stupid, problems that Reinhard doesn't have. so in my opinion he's the best military mind in anime that I seen. either way is just my opinion no a fact I haven't watch every anime ever made xD
Yagami-ZeroNov 6, 2017 8:08 AM

Nov 6, 2017 8:02 AM

Feb 2016
in this scene the ships were written to perform better, not actually better in universe, at least that wasn't stated.
Nov 6, 2017 9:53 AM

Mar 2013
flannan said:
PeripheralVision said:

Literally anyone can write the aftermath of an event that would require cunning and intelligence to cause, it is making a believable method in the first place. Keeping it offscreen is a way for the author to write it without actually putting any thought in it, and I generally call this lazy if the anime truly wants to focus on it.

It is no different than stating a character has an IQ of 1000. It is all inferred ability, not actually shown.

Indeed. That's why I compared one off-screen feat of manipulation with another.
The people in my answer to your first post did clever things where we were able to see them, though.

PeripheralVision said:

I think he stated something along what I have stated, depending on the interpretation of the thread. I abide by the adage "A writer cannot write a character smarter than himself". By that, I would argue that any show of intelligence of a fictional character have to be thought of by the author in the first place, seeing as how said character doesn't exist.

Essentially, one has to understand the intricacies of their intelligence in whatever situation, similar to how an engineer can write an incredibly in-depth look into engineering in his work. As an engineer, he would have to be sufficiently knowledgeable in whatever field he works in.

One can state a character has an IQ of 200, comes from MIT, and builds interstellar transportation. It is another to show that intelligence in work.

No, I am not referring to the scientific discovery of a transporter, but things such as deductive reasoning based on both assumptions and incredible observation, gamblers who don't depend on luck, but rather make do, characters who can make great decisions in battle tactics instead of using a super prototype to destroy whole fleets.

A great thing for me is to limit the assumptions an intelligent character will act on in some cases.

I disagree that the author has to be as clever as his characters. An author can think comfortably in his chair while drinking coffee in a timespan of a week, while his characters are fighting for their lives with a mind-numbing horror in a timespan of a few minutes.
With sufficient research, borrowing the knowledge and wisdom of people who thought about the things before, and glossing over minor details that boggle down real life, the author can achieve a lot.
Whether it's inventing gunpowder or building a Dyson Sphere, you can just look it up on the net nowadays.

That isn't what I am saying, but it depends on what the thread is asking. I am emphasizing a "show, don't tell" perspective. I of course, also believe the author should not get too hung up, but there is a reason I interpret the premise as being best viewed as a writing quality than a character's trait.

Mainly since if we based it off a character's trait, determined by the author's tell (IQ score, accomplishments, etc.), everyone would be up all night trying to one up one another, since this is something anyone can do.

Showing to me, requires a deft adroitness in story telling to be convincing. In the end, I do believe a character is by nature as smart as the author. Even researching past methods, while demonstrating knowledge, is not equivalent to understanding the material, especially in an abstract free thought manner. Or essentially, just basic logic at heart. My example isn't literal, as I will explain below.

I could have a child recite the three laws of physics or thermodynamics or anything, but that is merely rote memorization, not understanding. Merely copying it before, in mind or on paper, isn't understanding. The author has to cleverly use it for it to merely be not copy and paste, to understand it to not simply be memorizing. I wasn't referring to specialty in a field, but merely using one's brain.

Of course, if we are thinking about how fast these solutions are developed in the fictional work versus real life, than I see what you mean then, though I wasn't specifically referring to that. I apologize for not clearing that up.

My criticism of Johan Liebert is that Urasawa wrote him to be an unknowable manipulator behind the scene, and this persists in the 74 episode adaptation, where Johan rarely appears in lieu of his "victims".
Nov 6, 2017 11:43 AM

Aug 2015
romagia said:
https://myanimelist.net/character/43610/Kaito_Daimon?q=daimon%20kaito

when he unleashes his full potential, he can solve every puzzle in the universe!

That's who I was thinking about when I read the 'smartest'. And yeah I think it's this one. Of course from mine own list of anime/mangas.
"Slowly but surely."-Me

Hey Pals Let's Be Unique!
Nov 6, 2017 12:13 PM

Aug 2015
jwinter01 said:
Kurokami Medaka, Ajimu Najimi, Naze Youka and Kumagawa Misogi. All of them are pretty smart and there are some other characters in Medaka Box that are really smart as well.

I was also thinking of this manga as I was reading a little in the comments haha

But well for sure there's a debate about this haha, if only there were some authors who could do a story with all of them haha that may be something crazy xD
"Slowly but surely."-Me

Hey Pals Let's Be Unique!
Nov 6, 2017 12:18 PM
Teto

Sep 2017
Shiro from no game no life for sure. They can beat GOD in Chess.
Nov 6, 2017 12:19 PM

Jul 2017
I dunno about "smart" but the Oregairu cast is very observant.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Nov 6, 2017 3:02 PM

Sep 2014
Probably someone from LOTGH or Kingdom, or at least those characters get to showcase a lot of smarts via "world conquest" plot.

Ginko from Mushishi also really knows his stuff.
Nov 6, 2017 3:57 PM

Apr 2014
I was gonna say lelouch but then i remembered his horrible joke
Nov 6, 2017 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
i dont think I've seen a smarter girl than my waifu Aqua ♥♥♥
Nov 6, 2017 5:42 PM

Jul 2015
The smartest anime character I can think of is Wasshu from Tenchi Muyo!, but I'm not really certain she is a protaganist, maybe more of a supporting character.
Nov 6, 2017 6:09 PM
Feb 2016
Yugi Mutou. He is the King of Games and can beat everyone
Nov 6, 2017 6:26 PM

Jan 2017
I would like to say Yusaku Fujiki from Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS, but there are probably better and smarter protagonists out there. XD
Nov 6, 2017 9:36 PM

Mar 2016
obvs alakazam with his iq of over 5000
Aure0linNov 6, 2017 9:43 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Nov 6, 2017 9:47 PM

Mar 2017
Ayanokouji from Classroom of the Elite was pretty smart -- if not, a master manipulator.
What's your rush now? Everyone will have his day to die.
Nov 7, 2017 4:34 AM
Nov 2013
One that I never see brought up; Koko Hekmatyar. All the standard choices (L, Light, Shiroe, etc.) are people that are good at games, didn't do much in the real world, failed, or a combination of those.
Think of the plan she pulled off, without any magic, or being in an alternate world.
Of course if we are talking about actual iq, book smarts, etc, one of the thousands of scientist characters.
Nov 7, 2017 5:27 AM
Jun 2015
Blank from No Game No life because they win any game on their first try even when all odds are stacked against them. They plan so far ahead in advance that they always win against any opponent.
Nov 7, 2017 5:48 AM

Jun 2011
Characters from Nana Maru Sanbatsu, where they have to be very knowledgeable to solve the quizzes.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

91 by ColourWheel »»
35 seconds ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Jun 7

27 by Zayvex »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you like weak maids or strong maids?

Catalano - Jun 6

20 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» ways to watch as before

otaku2000anime - 4 hours ago

7 by Zayvex »»
9 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Yesterday

65 by RudeRedis »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.