Forum Settings
Forums

Anime That Did English Dubbing So Good You can't Watch It Subbed (a little bit about clannad)

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 6, 2017 2:12 AM

Mar 2012
I honestly can't watch Haruhi in Japanese. Not for a lack of trying mind you. I mean sure the girls sound more 'kawaii' (Uguu) in Japanese but Sugita... well he just isn't very good as Kyon. All around Crispin Freeman feels a lot more natural.

Don't get me wrong I love Sugita to death but his performance just isn't anywhere near as good as Freeman's. He sounds really monotone and dull as if he's forcing himself to do a voice that's out of his range which makes it painful to listen to. Also, while this is more a credit to great scriptwriting than acting, the dialogue in English just sounds so much better than the raw translation given by the subtitles.

Speaking of Crispin, Hellsing. Especially Ultimate. I love the dub for that one so much that I don't think I'm ever going to watch the show in Japanese.

yhunata said:
so stop being butthurt that there are people who don't agree with you.
So people come to this thread just to tell a guy that they don't agree with their opinion while making no attempt to further the discussion. But instead of going after the people who started that moronic off topic garbage, you target the guy who's just defending their opinion in the face of that?

Come on now. Get real.
SeibaaHomuFeb 6, 2017 2:20 AM
Feb 6, 2017 9:47 AM
Jul 2018
Animelia99 said:
SeasonADay said:
As you know watching anime subbed is a priority to most people including myself, but there are only a select few anime that touched my heart that I would prefer to watch in English because the English voice actors put so much emotion into the dubbing of the series that I just can't go back. The anime Clannad and Clannad After Story hold special places in rankings for me because Tomoyo's voice actor did such a good job that I would even go as far as saying it competes with the original Japanese voice actor. When the sad scenes come he really brings out the depressing mood so it feels like it's as if you are Tomoyo yourself and you start to feel for the character. On a random side note I also think that Sonohara's Voice is hilarious but not annoying because it fits the character. Great dub.

Are you for real ???

The dub voice actors don't even come close to the original artists in Clannad.
Have you watched episode 18 of Clannad AS , Ushio's voice actor was one of the two reasons that made the episode epic. The english version failed to create such epicness.

Pyro said:
Also, Clannad's dub is horrible. You can't be serious.

One thing that I think the dub of Clannad did better than the sub is the comedy (and contrary to most people's memories of the show, Clannad wasn't non-stop drama; there was a lot of comedy). Greg Ayres as Sunohara was gold. Akio's English voice actor was also spot-on. I think it was the female characters that dropped the ball. English-speaking women just generally cannot do moe/cutesy voices without sounding cringy as hell. But the Clannad dub is far from terrible as some fans would suggest.

SeibaaHomu said:
I honestly can't watch Haruhi in Japanese. Not for a lack of trying mind you. I mean sure the girls sound more 'kawaii' (Uguu) in Japanese but Sugita... well he just isn't very good as Kyon. All around Crispin Freeman feels a lot more natural.

Don't get me wrong I love Sugita to death but his performance just isn't anywhere near as good as Freeman's. He sounds really monotone and dull as if he's forcing himself to do a voice that's out of his range which makes it painful to listen to. Also, while this is more a credit to great scriptwriting than acting, the dialogue in English just sounds so much better than the raw translation given by the subtitles.

Speaking of Crispin, Hellsing. Especially Ultimate. I love the dub for that one so much that I don't think I'm ever going to watch the show in Japanese.

Haha yeah, basically if a show has Crispin Freeman, I watch the dub. That man is such a brilliant voice actor.
removed-userFeb 6, 2017 9:51 AM
Feb 6, 2017 3:14 PM

Mar 2014
Laura Bailey's Rise Kujikawa > Rie Kugimiya's Rise Kujikawa

Not because I think Kugimiya is a bad actress, but because her squeaky tsundere voice didn't fit Rise's personality at all and because she simply didn't do a particularly good job

Other than that I don't recall having any problems with Purse Owner 4's Japanese dub – although I, for a change, like the English dub too (And yes, I did play the unofficial undub version before the official version, so you can try pulling the "You're just biased because you heard the English version first" card all you want)
SeasonADay said:
Don't watch it. Bug off. Your opinion js worth as much as your top manga. Nothing.
SeasonADay said:
Dubs are not perfect. Clannad's dub was not perfect. However, Clannad's dub does deserve praise. Anyone who disagrees is just looking to pointlessly argue and troll.
SeibaaHomu said:
So people come to this thread just to tell a guy that they don't agree with their opinion while making no attempt to further the discussion. But instead of going after the people who started that moronic off topic garbage, you target the guy who's just defending their opinion in the face of that?

Come on now. Get real.
Somebody disagrees with my opinion, I better tell them that they went off topic and that they aren't allowed to exercise their right to freedom of speech
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 6, 2017 3:53 PM

Mar 2012
Comic_Sans said:
Somebody disagrees with my opinion, I better tell them that they went off topic and that they aren't allowed to exercise their right to freedom of speech
That is off topic though. The topic is 'Anime That Did English Dubbing So Good You can't Watch It Subbed'. So yeah, making fun of OP's taste and doing nothing to further the actual discussion ain't really what I'd call 'on topic'.

Also how does freeze peach have literally anything to do with this? Why would you even bring that up? You sure you aren't Milo Yiannopolous in disguise?
Feb 6, 2017 4:07 PM

Dec 2015
SeasonADay said:
Animelia99 said:

Are you for real ???

The dub voice actors don't even come close to the original artists in Clannad.
Have you watched episode 18 of Clannad AS , Ushio's voice actor was one of the two reasons that made the episode epic. The english version failed to create such epicness.

And regarding your question, there is only one anime for me whose dub was better than the original version is Death Note. Light's voice actor was so brilliant
that it made the show so memorable.
I can't think of any other anime though.

I like the dub ones they did a really good job. They did much better then most anime. The parents are really funny in the dub if you remember. I would agree with you on death note. Also code geass

I was watching Code Geass with the Dub version for the first time and ya at that time I was thinking its a very good dub version, but after I tried watching the Sub then going back to Dub again, I feel somehow weird watching the Dub... like errrrr?
Feb 6, 2017 4:09 PM

Oct 2016
Eufie said:
SeasonADay said:

I like the dub ones they did a really good job. They did much better then most anime. The parents are really funny in the dub if you remember. I would agree with you on death note. Also code geass

I was watching Code Geass with the Dub version for the first time and ya at that time I was thinking its a very good dub version, but after I tried watching the Sub then going back to Dub again, I feel somehow weird watching the Dub... like errrrr?
I should have said when I started this thread that of course the japanese versions are better. I still respect the dubs highly for code geass and death note.
Feb 6, 2017 4:10 PM

May 2015
Clannad, FMAB, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, and DBZ are all better dubbed.

Feb 6, 2017 4:13 PM

Aug 2015
Well the only one that I really only can watch in dub is Yu Yu Hakusho.

Another anime which has a good dub is Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. But I found the sub just fine. Oh and Golden Boy's Sub and Dub were both great so whichever you prefer is fine.
Feb 6, 2017 4:16 PM

Dec 2015
SeasonADay said:
Eufie said:

I should have said when I started this thread that of course the japanese versions are better. I still respect the dubs highly for code geass and death note.

Well yea the dub was not bad........
Feb 6, 2017 4:20 PM

Mar 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
That is off topic though. The topic is 'Anime That Did English Dubbing So Good You can't Watch It Subbed'. So yeah, making fun of OP's taste and doing nothing to further the actual discussion ain't really what I'd call 'on topic'.
Except that we aren't supposed to only discuss the title of the thread, we are supposed to discuss whatever is written in the OP.

Going by your logic that would mean that if I were to create a thread called "I have a question" and then proceed to ask in the OP about other MAL users' opinion on Thorbjörn Fälldin then the topic of the thread would be "What is OP trying to ask?", not "What is your opinion on Thorbjörn Fälldin?".
Also how does freeze peach have literally anything to do with this? Why would you even bring that up? You sure you aren't Milo Yiannopolous in disguise?
Silencing people because they disagree with you is a form of restriction on freedom of speech. Anti democracy 101
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 6, 2017 4:22 PM

Oct 2016
Comic_Sans said:
SeibaaHomu said:
Except that we aren't supposed to only discuss the title of the thread, we are supposed to discuss whatever is written in the OP.

Going by your logic that would mean that if I were to create a thread called "I have a question" and then proceed to ask in the OP about other MAL users' opinion on Thorbjörn Fälldin then the topic of the thread would be "What is OP trying to ask?", not "What is your opinion on Thorbjörn Fälldin?".
Silencing people because they disagree with you is a form of restriction on freedom of speech. Anti democracy 101

They were rude. So I told them to bug off. Why is there a problem I thought there was freedom of speech?
It's not the first time I have seen them in the fourms either. I blocked them anyway so problem solved.
Feb 6, 2017 4:22 PM

May 2015
Comic_Sans said:
SeibaaHomu said:

Nobody was silencing anything though.

Feb 6, 2017 4:23 PM

Jul 2015
Ghost Stories. Case closed. Can't argue that one.
Feb 6, 2017 4:26 PM

Mar 2014
SeasonADay said:
They were rude. So I told them to bug off. Why is there a problem I thought there was freedom of speech?
"Being rude" doesn't equal "not having a right to exercise their right to freedom of speech". So yes, there is a problem.

If you don't want people to discuss whatever's written in the OP then don't formulate your post in a deceptive way to make it look like you want people to discuss whatever's written in the OP only to later on tell people to shut up because they disagree with you. It really is that simple.
Kittens-kun said:
Somebody was though
Nico- said:
Feb 6, 2017 4:30 PM
Dec 2015
The best dubs where I just can't watch the sub are Gurren Lagann, Fullmetal Alchemist, Panty and Stocking, and Princess Tutu. Gurren Lagann's dub perfectly captures the bombastic energy of the show and I can't stand hearing it not in my own language. FMA is a classic dub and it deserves all the praise it gets. PnS is pretty obvious and self explanatory. Princess Tutu has the best dub I've heard, and when I tried switching to the sub just to see what it sounds like I immediately had to switch back because the dub was just so fantastic.

On Clannad, that dub is kind of terrible. There was no passion on the part of the VA's at all, and the deliveries were always stale. This doesn't even mention the lack of respect from the writers in pronouncing Nagisa's name wrong. Clannad was the third anime I watched, and even then couldn't watch the dub because it was just so awful. I'm far less tolerant of bad dubs now, so that's saying something. It doesn't do that masterpiece of an anime the justice it deserves at all.
Feb 6, 2017 4:33 PM

May 2015
Comic_Sans said:
SeasonADay said:
"Being rude" doesn't equal "not having a right to exercise their right to freedom of speech". So yes, there is a problem.

If you don't want people to discuss whatever's written in the OP then don't formulate your post in a deceptive way to make it look like you want people to discuss whatever's written in the OP only to later on tell people to shut up because they disagree with you. It really is that simple.
Kittens-kun said:
Somebody was though

No, they're just expressing their opinions about the people you're defending. It's a two way street. You can have your opinion about the OP and the topic just like I can have an opinion about you and what you have to say. Using the "it's their opinion" argument never works because it applies to both sides of the spectrum.

Feb 6, 2017 4:34 PM
Dec 2015
Definitely Hetalia for me ( the only anime I watch in dub ) :)

Oct 2016
Comic_Sans said:
SeasonADay said:

If you don't want people to discuss whatever's written in the OP then don't formulate your post in a deceptive way to make it look like you want people to discuss whatever's written in the OP only to later tell people to shut up because they disagree with you. It really is that simple.
Kittens-kun said:
Somebody was though
your avatar even says VIP shitposter. It fits you.

It just backfires on you because I have a right to exercise my freedom of speech.
Everything you say is invalid and clearly amounts to nothing. Everyone has freedom to say what they want so why are you complaining (or whatever you are doing...?). No, why are you wasting time? I can say what I want and they can say what they want, k? So what do you want because you wont get any reaction out of me at all?
Jul 2018
Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Mirai Nikki I preferred the dubs. I've also only watched SAO and AoT with dubs.

Lets see. There's also Your Lie in April which had a great dub, never heard the sub version, and Spice and Wolf, never heard the sub.

I usually start watching with dubs and if I don't like it move onto the sub. Some I seriously preferred the dub though.
Feb 6, 2017 4:41 PM

Oct 2014
The first anime I ever saw (aside from Pokemon) was Death Note dubbed. Afterwards I watched it subbed and preferred it as such but I still really love the voices they chose in the dub. I consider them more or less equal, with the sub inching out a little further. Hellsing Ultimate is another one where it's pretty much equal but the dub has generally better written lines from what I've observed, thus it inches out a slight cut above the sub. Baccano's dub is essential and if you're watching Ghost Stories subbed, you're doing it wrong. I haven't gotten around to other classic dub>sub shows such as Cowboy Bebop or Black Lagoon so I'll have to check those out at some point.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Feb 6, 2017 4:45 PM

Mar 2014
Kittens-kun said:
No, they're just expressing their opinions about the people you're defending. It's a two way street. You can have your opinion about the OP and the topic just like I can have an opinion about you and what you have to say. Using the "it's their opinion" argument never works because it applies to both sides of the spectrum.
Sorry, but telling people that they aren't allowed to express their opinion on a topic IS, in fact, a way to attempt to clamp down on freedom of speech.

If OP only had told the people who disagreed with him on the quality of the Clannad dub that they were retards for not having the same opinion as him then it would've been a completely different matter, but as it is now, he didn't only tell people that they were in the wrong for disagreeing with him, he explicitly told them that they didn't have the right to be in this thread because of that.
SeasonADay said:
your avatar even says VIP shitposter. It fits you.

It just backfires on you because I have a right to exercise my freedom of speech.
Yeah, no, if you had only told people that they were morons for disagreeing with you then it would've been a completely different issue, but as it is now you actually tried to clamp down on someone's right to exercise their freedom of speech by telling them to bugger off.
Everything you say is invalid and clearly amounts to nothing.
That's not how it works, you've got to have arguments.
Everyone has freedom to say what they want so why are you complaining (or whatever you are doing...?). No, why are you wasting time? I can say what I want and they can say what they want, k?
Yeah, such an advocate of freedom of speech indeed, that must be why you just told someone to bugger off because they disagreed with you.

If you had truly thought that your opponents had the right to disagree with you then you would have proceeded to attack their arguments, not their sole presence in your thread.
So what do you want because you wont get any reaction out of me at all?
Then why are you even replying to my post in the first place?
Comic_SansFeb 6, 2017 4:49 PM
Nico- said:
Feb 6, 2017 5:19 PM

Oct 2016
martiooo said:
Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Mirai Nikki I preferred the dubs. I've also only watched SAO and AoT with dubs.

Lets see. There's also Your Lie in April which had a great dub, never heard the sub version, and Spice and Wolf, never heard the sub.

I usually start watching with dubs and if I don't like it move onto the sub. Some I seriously preferred the dub though.

Spice and Wolf has a great dub. I can't help but Imagine Holo and Lawrence's voices when I read the Light Novels and it actually got to the point where it is kind of irritating xD
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How does your waifu do under pressure?

SgtBateMan - 5 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Will Isekai Anime Series one day surpass Mecha anime series in popularity and in the numbers game? What do you think?

RainyEvenings - 44 minutes ago

4 by SimplyBrazen »»
3 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

659 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
16 minutes ago

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast?

Rally- - 5 hours ago

44 by Rally- »»
24 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 26

82 by Rally- »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.