Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2017 5:09 AM

Apr 2016
i havent thought abt joining this yr since i didnt participate it last yr and i wasnt sure if i might be complete it before the deadline.

oyaoya said:
Could someone recommend something for #60, please? I don't really mind what kind of manga it is, although I would like something on the shorter side because a lot of the manga I plan on reading are quite long.

I was also having trouble finding manga for #44 (related to Japanese culture) and #29 (not been adapted in any way), does anyone have any suggestions?

I recommended this manga Aishiteru uso dakedo it has 4 chaps.
yuutaJan 10, 2017 5:17 AM
Jan 10, 2017 5:26 AM
Jul 2018
oyaoya said:
I was also having trouble finding manga for #44 (related to Japanese culture) and #29 (not been adapted in any way), does anyone have any suggestions?

For keeping it short (1 volume):
— Japanese culture : Sakuran about the geisha's life.
— Not adapted in any way : Kare no Aijou no Hakari. I discovered that author recently, she does interesting short works like that one.
removed-userJan 10, 2017 5:30 AM
Jan 10, 2017 5:38 AM

Jan 2017
@virtual_core Thanks for your donation! They have been added to the banners list.
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
Jan 10, 2017 5:57 AM

Feb 2015
@yuuta and @lady_freyja Thank you!
Jan 10, 2017 6:08 AM

Jul 2009
Anyone wants to gimme a rec for number 60?
I'll rec back if anyone needs :D

The only request I have it's that it's completed and (preferably) under 100 chapters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2017 6:20 AM

Apr 2008
CrashRHCP said:

The only request I have it's that it's completed and (preferably) under 100 chapters.

Hi @CrashRHCP, I'd recommend My Girl - it's 44 chapters and complete.

If ok then would appreciate one back! :)
nehnehnejiJan 10, 2017 6:24 AM
Jan 10, 2017 6:22 AM

Apr 2013
@CrashRHCP Since we seem to have a fairly similar taste in manga, I'd recommend Hoshi no Samidare, which is one of my favorites.
Jan 10, 2017 6:23 AM

Sep 2011
CrashRHCP said:

Sorry I only got one suggestion but judging from the manga we share i'll recommend Ran to Haiiro no Sekai

If you would be kind enough as to recommend me something for number 60.
Jan 10, 2017 6:37 AM

Jul 2009
Uhh, three recs! :D
Thanks guys! I'll keep them all in mind for other categories as well ^_^

As for recs for you guys:
@nehnehneji - Oh damn! That's a lot of manga! And only 30 shared!
I'll rec you Solanin. Anything by Inio Asano is worth checking out!

@Aemiliuz - HOLY S-! O_O
Okay, since you rated 20th Century Boys a 10 but you haven't read Billy Bat I'll rec you that one!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2017 6:47 AM

Apr 2008
^ Hahaha! Must all have been typing at the same time! ^^;;;

Many thanks for the recommend @CrashRHCP - if you do get around to reading it, hope you enjoy My Girl :D
Jan 10, 2017 7:18 AM

Sep 2011
@CrashRHCP

Thanks, i was thinking about reading Monster for another category so i'll go with 2 Urasawa this year

btw My Girl was recommend to me for last year challenge and it's really good, you should try that one.
Jan 10, 2017 9:33 AM

Jun 2010
Hello! I was looking for some reccomendations for
#43: read a manga that has a main character that is a professional in his field

I'm looking for a series that's completed and not already on this list. Thank you :)

I have a couple of ideas for this one myself, if anyone else needs: Monster, City Hunter, One Punch-Man, GTO, Detroit Metal City, Mushishi, Happy!
I'm not using these because i've already read them ^^;;;;;;;;;;;
Jan 10, 2017 9:45 AM

Jul 2008
When posting the signup form, do I need to choose all the manga beforehand or fill them in as I go? This question also ties to the Anime Watching Challenge.

I don't care much about the bingo aspect of the challenge, so I don't know if I'll sign up yet. Either way, reading all 70 will be fun. :3

28. If a manga was adapted into an anime then a live action will it count?

Jan 10, 2017 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
@shirokkuma
How about a doctor?
The number of readers and the rating are both a shame, it should have much more. People are ranting about BL being unrealistic and all, but when we get a good realistic story about being gay in the middle of the 80s decades with the AIDS crisis, it ends up like this…
Oh: and it's a 2 volumes series really, there is no point in reading that manga without reading its sequel.
removed-userJan 10, 2017 9:55 AM
Jan 10, 2017 11:02 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Jan 10, 2017 11:54 AM

May 2014
Looking for a recommendation for 60. Don't have a preference other than something that's not already on my list.
Jan 10, 2017 11:55 AM

Dec 2011
I need help with the following :c

1) read a manga serialized in a shounen magazine
--- would something from the manga tags that has the word shounen on it would work? like <shounen magazine (weekly)>
2) read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic
--- I read about this in the FAQ, but it still got me confused. :c
3) read a manga that is a collection of short stories
4) read a manga that deals with something related to japanese culture
5) read a manga that takes place outside of japan
6) read a manga that another user has read for this challenge
7) read a manga centered around folklore or mythology
8) read a manga recommended to you by another manga reading challenge participant in the discussion thread
Jan 10, 2017 12:17 PM
Jul 2018
devilsparade_ said:
--- would something from the manga tags that has the word shounen on it would work? like <shounen magazine (weekly)>

Yup.
That, and/or every manga that have the "shounen" tag in the genre list.

devilsparade_ said:

Basically:
When in the genre list you have one of those two tags ; "shounen" or "seinen", and that it uses a female character as the lead.
Or when you have a manga with one of those two tags ; "shoujo" or "josei", and that it uses a male character as the lead.

Like for example, for that item I plan to read Banana Fish, tagged as "shoujo", but using a male lead character.

"Shounen" and "seinen" are the two "male demographics" and "shoujo" and "josei" are the two "female demographics".
Usually shounen/seinen manga use a male lead and shoujo/josei manga use a female lead, hence the point of that item, since it's somewhat "unusual" to have a lead of different gender than its demographic.

EDIT: but I have to warn about something, MAL isn't always reliable with demographics, sometime a seinen is tagged as "shounen", or a shoujo tagged as a "seinen" et cætera. That's why it's useful to check the magazine, and the other manga published in it.
Also, the website baka-updates is usually more reliable than MAL concerning demographics.
But if the magazine of the manga contains either "shoujo" or "shounen" in its name, you can be sure that the demographic is respectively "shoujo" or "shounen". But most magazines don't have their demographic directly stated in their name.
removed-userJan 10, 2017 12:26 PM
Jan 10, 2017 1:16 PM

May 2015
I've got a question, can I use mangas which is not in the MAL database?

I'm doing the challenge with lenght restriction and for #25 (Read a manga that started publishing last year) I found a long manhwa webtoon, but it's only in MangaUpdats database (is it because it's a webtoon?).
MartinabjkJan 10, 2017 3:05 PM
Jan 10, 2017 2:51 PM

Jul 2014
I am looking for a recommendation for number 60.

Jan 10, 2017 3:08 PM

Nov 2013
I don't think that the person that made challenge 32 is sane.

I need a recommendation for challenge 06 - Read a gekiga manga.
Jan 10, 2017 3:57 PM

Apr 2008
Need a recommendation for #60. Something that is fairly short but not a one shot would be cool.

Elaesia said:
Looking for a recommendation for 60. Don't have a preference other than something that's not already on my list.

Thomas no Shinzou. Nice profile.

Hammerson said:
I am looking for a recommendation for number 60.

Fuan no Tane
PlateJan 10, 2017 4:02 PM
Jan 10, 2017 4:49 PM

May 2014
Plate said:
Need a recommendation for #60. Something that is fairly short but not a one shot would be cool.

Elaesia said:

Thomas no Shinzou. Nice profile.

Thanks! As for a recommendation Kimi ni shika Kikoenai.
Jan 10, 2017 6:04 PM

Apr 2013
@CreativeJustice You can fill them in as you go. :) For 28, I think it counts.

@devilsparade_
1) How about Deadman Wonderland or Mirai Nikki, both are fairly short.
2) Solanin for a short one, and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou or Liar Game for long ones.
3) Bus Hashiru., Nickelodeon, Robot.
8) Hoshi no Samidare always.
For the other one's I'd recommend looking through what other people have used, because I'm not that familiar with series like that. :s

@Martinabjk Yes! MAL tends to have only manga or certain webtoons, but you can use them for the challenge as long as the other criteria are met.
Jan 10, 2017 6:38 PM

May 2015
HeNrYTG50 said:
@Martinabjk Yes! MAL tends to have only manga or certain webtoons, but you can use them for the challenge as long as the other criteria are met.

Great! Thanks for the help :)
Jan 10, 2017 7:03 PM

Jun 2010
lady_freyja said:
@shirokkuma
How about a doctor?
The number of readers and the rating are both a shame, it should have much more. People are ranting about BL being unrealistic and all, but when we get a good realistic story about being gay in the middle of the 80s decades with the AIDS crisis, it ends up like this…
Oh: and it's a 2 volumes series really, there is no point in reading that manga without reading its sequel.

It sounds right up my alley, actually. I tend to get enjoyment out of stories that have some realism to them or that have some historical research behind them. This will be an interesting read. Thank you!
Jan 10, 2017 7:08 PM

Jan 2012
Thank you to everyone who gave me recommendations. Those really helped me.

devilsparade_ said:
3) read a manga that is a collection of short stories
5) read a manga that takes place outside of japan
7) read a manga centered around folklore or mythology

3. Shiki no Zenjitsu
5. Gunslinger Girl (Italy), GunSmith Cats (USA), Hellsing (UK), Jormungand (around the world), Monster (Central Europe)
7. Nurarihyon no Mago
Jan 10, 2017 7:41 PM

Jul 2008
Any manga recommendations someone can give me for #60? Mystery or Thriller would be swell.
Jan 10, 2017 9:01 PM

Dec 2011
@lady_freyja Thank you for your explanation, it actually helped me understand :)

@henrytg50 and @codingsession Thanks you for your suggestions. They really helped!
Jan 10, 2017 9:03 PM

Oct 2008
lady_freyja said:
devilsparade_ said:

Yup.
That, and/or every manga that have the "shounen" tag in the genre list.

devilsparade_ said:

Basically:
When in the genre list you have one of those two tags ; "shounen" or "seinen", and that it uses a female character as the lead.
Or when you have a manga with one of those two tags ; "shoujo" or "josei", and that it uses a male character as the lead.

Like for example, for that item I plan to read Banana Fish, tagged as "shoujo", but using a male lead character.

Does that mean if any of the MCs is of the opposite demographic it'll work or all of the MCs/the lead have to be of the opposite demographic? For example, would Ouran be applicable to this tag?

@SilentEvil How about Kimi no Knife?
Jan 10, 2017 9:08 PM

Jul 2008

Oh, I think I keep starting to read that one before. Perfect for the challenge then haha. Thank you. :)
Jan 10, 2017 10:08 PM

Oct 2016
I got the dreaded task #60 in my card... does anyone have manga recommendations for me? I haven't read many so feel free to recommend your favourite series.
Thank you!
Jan 10, 2017 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
kitii7 said:
Does that mean if any of the MCs is of the opposite demographic it'll work or all of the MCs/the lead have to be of the opposite demographic? For example, would Ouran be applicable to this tag?

For that I prefer to let @MRC_mod answer because I'm unsure.

Personally, I used the word "lead", meaning from which point of view the story is written, sometime manga have numerous leads.
Because if it is just "a main", at least almost all romance manga could fit since typically the two lovers (or more with triangle and such) are tagged as "main".
Jan 11, 2017 12:23 AM

May 2016
Any good manga centered around folklore or mythology ?
Jan 11, 2017 1:00 AM

Nov 2013
Hey all! I need a recommendation for #60, preferably something only a few volumes long at max. As long as it is not hentai, I'll give it a read.
I'm too lazy to make a fancy sig
〜( ̄▽ ̄〜)
Jan 11, 2017 1:22 AM
Jul 2018
Kotoneko-chan said:

Dunno if it will be to to your liking, but for the fantasy/supernatural item, I'm currently reading Ao no Fuuin which is build around the oni yōkai folklore.
I enjoy it, but I'm partial since I like the author.
Jan 11, 2017 1:39 AM

May 2016
lady_freyja said:
Kotoneko-chan said:

Dunno if it will be to to your liking, but for the fantasy/supernatural item, I'm currently reading Ao no Fuuin which is build around the oni yōkai folklore.
I enjoy it, but I'm partial since I like the author.

It seems good. Thanks a lot ^^
Jan 11, 2017 5:23 AM

Jan 2017
Hanzeon said:
I don't think that the person that made challenge 32 is sane.

I need a recommendation for challenge 06 - Read a gekiga manga.

I wanted to make everyone suffer as much as I suffer. For gekiga, Abandon the Old in Tokyo would work.

@kitii7 just as @lady_freyja said, I would consider the narrator or the one whose point of view the story is done, so Ouran wouldn't really count.
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
Jan 11, 2017 5:26 AM

Jul 2009
Question:
Can I change my bingo pattern?
I picked Top Hat because I wanted to read at least 35 manga before I knew about this challenge anyways (to reach the 200 manga milestone) and 39 manga sounded like a good challenge.
But I also picked that one because I could easily turn that one into Jar, or even eventually the Full Card if I have enough time after I finish the 39 manga.
But can I do that, or am I stuck in the Top Hat pattern?
Jan 11, 2017 5:51 AM

Apr 2013
@CrashRHCP The difficulty and pattern can be changed :)
Jan 11, 2017 6:27 AM

Jul 2009
HeNrYTG50 said:
@CrashRHCP The difficulty and pattern can be changed :)

Yay! ^_^

pliisetsky said:
I got the dreaded task #60 in my card... does anyone have manga recommendations for me? I haven't read many so feel free to recommend your favourite series.
Thank you!

I feel like reccomending you Solanin, because I think you'd like Inio Asano's works, but I don't want to recomend the same manga twice for two people, so... Koe no Katachi

OmegaOtaku said:
I have some ones I'll need help with. Preferably something short(ish) for these and translated to english.

--#06. Read a gekiga manga
--#60. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread
--#51. Read a manga based on real event or person
--#49. Read a manga centered around folklore or mythology
--#46. Read a manga that takes place outside of Japan
--#02. Read a manga that is a collection of short stories

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

51 AND 46 - I'd say Billy Bat, although it's not based in one single real life event, it connects with various, most importantly JFK's assassination, the trip to the Moon and 9/11, but also other stuff like feudal Japan, Michael Jackson's Triller, World War II, Einstein...
There's also Adolf ni Tsugu which is based on... well, Adolf. I haven't read this one, though I'm planning for either the 80s or the one outside of Japan one.
Jan 11, 2017 8:29 AM

Jan 2009
@Hanzeon @MRC_mod
Challenge 32 is not that bad. At least, you know what to expect.

I need manga for "43. Read a manga that has a main character that is a professional in his field." Something at least 5 volumes long and preferably finished.
Jan 11, 2017 12:02 PM

Mar 2014
For #28 Read a manga that has been adapted to live action, I found one in the club linked to it but can't find any info on a live action version. Would it still count? If not could someone recommend one.
Jan 11, 2017 12:10 PM

Mar 2014
lubryka said:
@Hanzeon @MRC_mod
Challenge 32 is not that bad. At least, you know what to expect.

I need manga for "43. Read a manga that has a main character that is a professional in his field." Something at least 5 volumes long and preferably finished.

Here's some I found from another post
Gokusen
Kakukaku Shikajika
Natsu no Zenjitsu
Yasashii Sekai no Tsukurikata
RiN
Jan 11, 2017 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
Shuichi2 said:
For #28 Read a manga that has been adapted to live action, I found one in the club linked to it but can't find any info on a live action version. Would it still count? If not could someone recommend one.

What's the manga? There is a tons of manga adapted into live-action, it's an easy item.

But, you seem to be into BL? Because there is Seven Days that got adapted, for example.
Jan 11, 2017 12:37 PM
Nov 2016
Can someone help me out with manga for this one?
11. Read a manga by an author and artist duo - 2 different creators must be listed in the database for that title
Jan 11, 2017 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
Can someone recommend me something for #60? Preferably 5+ volumes, genre doesn't really matter.

Shortkitten14 said:
Can someone help me out with manga for this one?
11. Read a manga by an author and artist duo - 2 different creators must be listed in the database for that title
Tomodachi no Hanashi if you want something short, or Medaka Box if you don't mind length.
Jan 11, 2017 2:18 PM

Jun 2010
Tiramisu said:
Can someone recommend me something for #60? Preferably 5+ volumes, genre doesn't really matter.

How about Tokyo Babylon? The art is quite beautiful. Especially the colored illustrations ;0;
Jan 11, 2017 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
shirokkuma said:
Tiramisu said:

How about Tokyo Babylon? The art is quite beautiful. Especially the colored illustrations ;0;
Looks good, thanks.
Jan 11, 2017 3:18 PM

May 2015
So a recommendation I have for people which fulfills having 2MCs of the same gender would be no.6. Its a brilliant story that's only 9 volumes (about 34 chapters j think) long so it wont take you long and I think people would really enjoy it.
Note. I'm sure it will fill in other sections but I can't remember what most of them are XD
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Should all Manga be banned from School?

Dragevard - Apr 12, 2023

48 by Flazzard »»
4 hours ago

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

6012 by Flazzard »»
Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

458 by Karinara »»
Oct 18, 1:55 PM

» Beserk digital scans

Centsicles - Oct 18

0 by Centsicles »»
Oct 18, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Do you buy manga volume-by-volume or all at once?

Zeta_Riemann - Oct 17

6 by SlintOCE »»
Oct 18, 11:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.