Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Mar 20, 2019 11:23 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
this look like a good point for a s2
want to know how this story ends because it felt unfinished to me

Jul 9, 2019 12:36 PM
Apr 2016
Some more stuff about Ginko's past, it's always cool to see his past. I expected a more impactful ending, but I guess this way it's way more peaceful. Beautiful episode & anime.
Jul 11, 2019 8:41 PM

Sep 2017
There is a lot to see in this series and in the details that are in each episode, many stories have really touched me for its end, but overall it was a nice anime to watch, I love Ginko.
Sep 8, 2019 9:27 PM

Sep 2017
That really didn't feel like an episode at all, did it? That was fitting for this show, given how episodic it was, but that just goes to show how unique the format of this show was.

I don't really have much to say about this show, as it felt so standalone. It's hard to summarize a show that felt like 26 shows condensed in to one entry. I'm also hungry from cutting and want to go to bed, so I'll be lazy for once and not write an essay. 8/10

Oct 5, 2019 9:45 AM

Sep 2018
Actually, I was expecting something exceptional as the last episode, oh well! However, I would not have imagined that the last episode would tell an event that has the dual purpose of narrating the life of Ginko as a young man and of characters who gravitate around him; I'm curious to know more about Isaza's character. I'm no longer in the skin, now that I can finally go beyond the first season and start the second, what a happiness! I run immediately to see at least the first episode of the second season, yay!

9/10
Mar 31, 2020 1:43 PM

Feb 2017
So in the end, that guy became the non-Mushi Master of his mountain when the Koumyaku energy left. I'm glad he was dedicated enough and loved the mountain enough to stay and work on it.

Apr 1, 2020 10:46 PM

Dec 2019
Even tho i was expecting a lot from the last episode i can't complain about it, very chill episode and it showed an interesting story between 2 characters, seriously tho im into anime that revolves around fighting and less talk but damn i gotta say, Mushishi made me experience something different, truly amazing show, even tho almost every character except Ginko looks the same xD

9/10 still wondering about those mushi from the first episode, hope we can see and learn more about them.
                                                         🖤   

Jun 1, 2020 9:38 PM

Aug 2019
Wow an absolutely amazing anime, getting 10/10s in every category i could name. I cannot believe i have never watched, yet HEARD of this anime until a few days ago. For such an old anime i swear it could still outclass current airing anime now a days in story telling, art work and especially OST.
Story is. fucking brilliant. I came here a massive fan of the monogatari series and The Ancient Magus Bride and i can comfortably say this anime hit the nail on the head for being a good mix of both. 26 episodes, all with a different unique story to them never repeating events of past episodes, thats 650 minutes of new stories one after another. On paper it sounds bland and maybe hard to keep up with, but this anime does it so well, it can execute the beginning, middle and end of the story of the episode in 25 minutes flat fucking remarkably. I never felt confused watching an episode, i never felt annoyed that the story was left with so many unanswered question and i never felt like i wasted 25 minutes of my life. I think this is the only anime i've seen that has done its story layout like this.
The concept for the Mushi in Mushishi is also so unique. It reminds me of The Ancient Magus Bride with the weird spirits and entities that you would only hear in myths and legends, each Mushi has its own look and trait, either that be a weird goop monster that spawns human child like monstrosities or a giant eel that lives in your eyes, Mushishi has some of the most original design for creatures of the unknown that i've seen in a while.
The art design (given this anime was made in 2005) wasn't half bad. It felt fluent and sometimes outright beautiful when it wants to be. Scenes like in Episode 11, where the ending scene was of Ginko in a field overlooking this giant snake sleeping on a mountain with the sun set behind him, was out right jaw dropping. The scenery and background this anime has overall is so beautiful and eye catching at times that i can't deny enough that this anime was a masterpiece for its time.
And the OST. The fucking OST. My God i have never listened to an OST that is so gripping and fitting for an anime. The use of classical instruments (or native instruments) complimented the country side scenery of bamboo, forests, rice farms etc that we got every episode was so nice to hear and ( i think) we got a different OST every ending. Honestly i think this anime would be very dry if i wasn't for the effective use of the OST in certain scenes, like Ginko explaining what the Mushi is/does theres this unique eerie and mysterious soundtrack that plays or when we finally see him confront the Mushi the lively soundtrack seems to take over and it just adds so much to each scene.
Character himself, Ginko, they make sure not to leave him out. They tie in parts of his past and explanations on what led him up to becoming the person he is today very well into the main story, making sure not to break the well designed story pattern it follows.
overall, amazing anime. This felt like a fresh breath of air for me after hunting down an anime that was like monogatari after finishing the entire series, an i can safely say i am more then happy with the results. Truly another unique anime and one that we probably won't see anything like for a while.
Code0018Jun 1, 2020 10:04 PM
Aug 26, 2020 8:24 AM

Aug 2018
I did not expect final episode to be this kind of flashback at all. However it was still a very great episode knowing that the series don't end here.

Overall Mushishi is unique and fantastic in its own way, it took me over 4 months to finish these series knowing how this show needs to be watched slowly and calmly. Thats why I took my time to get the best expierence possble out of it. I can't wait to see the rest of Mushishi media that is out there.

Finaly to end this I wanna say that these series are definitely not for everyone, if someone says that they get bored watching this, tell them to spot watching ASAP, because things won't get different throughout the show.

I really enjoyed the series even tho they have small flaws of its own kind, so if I had to rate it, I'd give it a 9.2/10
Feb 23, 2021 7:44 PM

Apr 2019
Wow, this was a great anime. Last episode just like any other, with a little more lil Ginko included. I can't decide if this is a 7 or 8. 7.8 so I'll go with 8 for now.

Mar 5, 2021 6:41 PM

Jan 2016
This was a nice ending to a very comfy series, glad it was just presented as just another episode instead of trying to be something more.

I had a good time with it, it was the kind of show where the pacing matches how you should be watching it.
Mar 17, 2021 2:29 AM

Apr 2020
Oh my god!

Why did I watch this anime so late?

What an amazing show!!!
I do not know how to describe this anime! This anime is very relaxing!

Fantastic OSTs
Great characters (especially the main character who is fantastic!)
Fantastic story!
And the magic ED that will stay with me forever!

This anime is definitely one of the best anime in the history!

10/10 easy!
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

Mar 31, 2021 1:31 AM
Apr 2020
Who would've thought that this anime was released in early 20s but the animation is already great?

This anime is very unique that makes you watch till the end. There's some story arcs that seemed a lil bit boring-ish but in overall series it was great. The artstyle is perfectly fit with the theme of the anime together with the creepy BGMs and OSTs used (although a bit lacking but it's okay). Literally every travels of Ginko helping peoples are freakin depressing, which makes the anime more enjoyable and makes you attached to watch. So with that, I'll give this 1st series an 8/10. Looking forward to watch more of the dramatic adventures of our MC :)

Btw, they should put a "drama" genre in this, because literally each episode is full of emotional stuffs
Apr 25, 2021 12:30 PM

Jan 2020
Just remembered Ginko's friend in the early part of the show is called Adashino
Apr 25, 2021 12:31 PM

Jan 2020
At first I thought Isaza is Adashino
Apr 25, 2021 12:33 PM

Jan 2020
Kirukato05 said:
Who would've thought that this anime was released in early 20s but the animation is already great?

I guess there's few things to animate in a show like this, which is why the animators have more time in animating certain scene.
May 2, 2021 3:59 AM

Jan 2017
What an absolutely splendid anime!
There's not even a single hint of this being 16 years old, it must have been a weekly delight for the anime watchers of Fall 2005.

Every episode had some beautiful and some heartbreaking moments. Loved it, can't wait for a 20th Anniversary special (if any) in 4 years.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Jun 16, 2021 1:16 PM

Jun 2019
My 3rd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it an 8/10 rating.
Jul 9, 2021 4:06 AM

Jan 2021
Some people say this last episode is quite weak or not as interesting as the previous episodes.. but I personally really like episodes without conflict like this. Very calming.

Aug 2, 2021 5:17 AM
Jun 2021
this is my comfort anime, i love this series so much the art, animation, sound, story everything just so good 10/10
Nov 22, 2021 10:19 PM

Jan 2021
Dayummm! Loved this anime. Its been a while since I watched such a relaxing anime.

OSTs were spectacular.

Overall 9/10
Nov 29, 2021 10:05 PM

Aug 2007
I think the scenery is breathtaking and the worldbuilding is very strong.

I find that I'm yearning for Ginko to have sort of companion, or at least another reoccurring character. I understand that is likely part of the vision for the story, but I'm unsure if it is for me.

I'd be open to watching more sometime later next year, but I'm not pressed to watch more about Ginko and surrounding villagers, or even more mushi-shi, unless they are tied to Ginko's growth with or in conflict with another person.

6/10

Feb 14, 2022 2:05 PM
Nov 2020
One of the most refreshing anime I have ever experienced
Feb 21, 2022 1:55 PM

Jan 2010
As a traveler, Ginko is interesting for how he makes full attempts at helping others, but also recognizes when to step back and let things play out. He's neither a hero nor a bystander, but instead acts as a medium between humans and mushi. In a more cynical anime, Ginko would find a lot more tragedies, but thankfully Mushi-shi, despite straying closely to the tragic and horrific, maintains a relatively optimistic outlook on life.

Through co-existence and understanding, it's possible to live peacefully with the natural and fantastical, despite not fully understanding them. Although, that goes both ways, where mushi have also failed to understand humans, resulting in conflicts between the two due to overlapping territories. It's impossible to live without mushi, else the land would die, much like it's impossible to live in this world without microorganisms. Mushi-shi felt more like a biology anime, and I appreciate its preference toward understanding mushi over eradication. I know there's multiple seasons for Mushi-shi, but I need a break first, as this is quite a heavy series. Goodness.
May 30, 2022 4:17 AM

May 2018
Love this series, I very much like Ginko's character and I must say I enjoyed every episode without being dissatisfied with it. One of the best anime I've watch and I will definitely finish all of the sequels.

Sep 12, 2022 6:47 PM
Aug 2022
amazing! i loved this chapter.
Sep 12, 2022 7:27 PM
Sep 2022
Fantastic piece of art. both sad and beautiful story's.
Mar 26, 2023 2:57 PM
Aug 2021
Amazing anime. Well written, reflexive and relaxing
Apr 23, 2023 4:49 PM

Jul 2020
One of the best anime ive seen in recent memory and out of all the things ive watched this year (which is plenty), this is easily the top anime I've finished seen this year hands down. Theres so much in this series and its really one that fires on all cylinders; the music, the smart use of colours and lighting, the impeccable sound design, the creative uses and concepts with mushi, thematic and emotional resonance with each one and a surprisingly strong characterisation for ginko. this show is an episodic slice of life at its core, but it's so crucial for showcasing that life, while unpredictable, has a lot of beauty. Its very immersive, atmospheric and beautiful, and for me personally, very carthatic, striking and personally significant.

haven't seen anything like this show and i dont really think i ever will. easy 10/10 and an easy top favourite of mine too.
Apr 24, 2023 5:34 AM

Jul 2016
Kinda cool how they ended the season with building up another character other than Ginko who might be more important in the journeys to come.

The atmosphere from this show is really something else man. Creepy or heartwarming, this anime somehow always kept a very relaxed vibe from start to finish, which is impressive. Still, I really wanna know what's up with Ginko's modern getup.
May 16, 2023 1:57 AM

May 2022
Added to favorites. This show gave me peace of mind when I needed it the most. <3 
Jun 29, 2023 9:08 AM
Apr 2023
A very calm and healing anime. I loved the different aspects of Mushi shi. I really enjoyed watching this show because it was in a way therapeutic.
Oct 27, 2023 9:36 PM
Nov 2016
The episode was slow and meh, finally finished this anime and I'm glad I did because I was kind of bored, and slow slice of life animes aren't really my thing, while it wasn't bad, I wasn't impressed by it either, this anime was using the same formula in all the episodes, in every episode a new character appears with some tragic backstory and Ginko is always there to either save the day or screw it over because not everything has a happy ending here but that's ok, not everything needs a happy ending, however, he's the same one-dimensional character in the whole anime and he's always there to say the same usual line of "it was caused by a Mushi" or some shit, like we get it buddy, I got the hint since the 1st or 2nd episode that it was going to be your shtick but goddamn, you didn't do anything else beside stating the obvious.

I don't think I will watch the 2nd season, people say it's better but if I'm going to get the same shit there then I rather skip it, for now, I will put the 2nd season on the back burner and I will watch something else, I don't have the patience to watch another goddamn slow anime because goddamn, this anime sure is fucking slow.

I will end my rant with a rating of:

6/10
Nov 8, 2023 12:24 AM

Jun 2021
It took me one month to finish this but it's worth it. Every episode amazed me. It might be late to say this, I really like the opening song.

Time to watch the next season.
Nov 20, 2023 12:38 AM

May 2019
A bit more on Ginko's back story. I have so loved the subtly of this show. It's soothing nature, it's balm to grief, its showing of the cycles of life. I enjoyed how it didn't spell everything out for me.
Feb 1, 12:09 PM

Sep 2023
This didactic series is heavily influenced by Daoism 道教 and Wuxing 五行, and it also offers critiques of certain Buddhist concepts like reincarnation.

The mushi are sometimes derived from or inspired by Regular, Zhou, and even oracle bone scripts of Chinese characters. They often reference a main theme/concept of the episode. 人 and 一 are some of the most obvious examples. Mushi mostly seem to represent concepts/words that are inseparable from the human experience of the world, rather than simply an object in the world like 山.

Ginko plays a wandering "medicine man" and moralist whose role is to diagnose something out of balance with the characters in the episode and help them restore a balance of yin/yang, light/dark (think of Ginko's missing eye and the story behind it).

The episodes start with finding internal balance within the self, referencing things like the interplay between meditation and the senses (sight, hearing). As we continue through the episodes, we watch characters struggle through relationships with others and common problems between family, friendships, husbands/wives, etc.

The final few episodes offer commentary on how society needs to interact with and balance with nature and the land. Often this is shown through a violation of the principle of wu wei 无为 (burning of fields, damming of a water source) and action/inaction of the "ruler" (chief of the village, master of the mountain).

I highly recommend keeping in mind the context of East Asian philosophy while watching Mushishi.
Feb 29, 1:08 PM
Dec 2013
mushishi is one of the best anime iv'e ever seen. the immersion into a world full of fantasy in such a light hearted way following an empathic main
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by Sonho »»
Jun 23, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 5, 2008

185 by Supremestrawhat »»
Jun 22, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

175 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 9, 2008

136 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

150 by reus23shinji »»
May 11, 6:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.