Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Apr 8, 2016 12:39 AM

Nov 2015
The last song was good, I danced with them lmao.

Apr 8, 2016 2:26 AM
Jan 2016
fst said:
MysteriousBanana said:
You're being disingenuous if you're insisting Delta's treatment isn't any different than the rest of the franchise (with the exception of 7).

It's a different flavour to be sure, but fundamentally not so different that it's somehow "not macross"

That's fair, as much as I dislike it I won't deny it does have all the elements of other Macross titles.

I just don't believe it's a good Macross title due to how it presents said elements.

fst said:
MysteriousBanana said:
The only time previous idols got that close was when they were abducted or the enemy broke through the defenses, which is admittedly a really formulaic way of putting the female MC in a crisis so the male MC can display his skill and resolve to save her.

Ok fine she's not right up in their faces but I'd say she's damn well close enough to the action, and with the canopy open no less. Any of them could have shot her if not for her backup... which is pretty much the same situation here.

I'd argue those situations are wildly different.

It was a crisis that forced Ranka to be that close to the action, with a slight flip of the idol saving the pilot (though Alto does immediately return the favor). The whole point of the scene was to show how much she grew as a singer, her resolve to put her own life on the line ot save Alto, and put her back in the running against Sheryl. It was reckless, she was still incredibly vulnerable and only survived because Alto prevented the shot that would have turned her into a colorful streak on the ground, and accordingly she didn't pull a stunt like that again.

On the other hand the Walküre weren't caught up in a crisis. They were there investigating it, they knew it might happen, they were prepared and - as you said - had the situation under control as soon as it happened. They didn't need to be there, they just chose to be, and they also weren't vulnerable at all because even when the pilots failed to prevent attacks the singers either completely nullified attacks targeted at them with their shields or walked away from near explosions with nary a scratch. Also it doesn't serve to illustrate any sort of growth, just a "look at how awesome these girls are". Where is the character development supposed to go from there? Are they going to combine into an organic valkyrie that shoots rainbows of love and peace from every orifice by episode 12?

fst said:
MysteriousBanana said:
Delta tries to shake up this formula, which isn't bad in itself, but does so by removing all sense of sanity and self preservation from the idols.

You make it sound like they just #YOLO'd into them, but they clearly knew what they where doing and had the situation under control, so I disagree that all sanity and self preservation was gone.

They shrugged off near missile strikes and continued singing with a smile. Freyja ran toward gunfire because she was so stoked to sing.

The former just illustrated they were either never in danger (which is why I argued earlier that Delta trivialized the role of the valkyries) or they're off their rockers. The latter is just Freyja being the living embodiment of #YOLO though.

All that being said, I'll try to watch it and hope something happens to change my mind (preferably an interesting twist rather than a stroke).
Apr 8, 2016 6:48 AM
Apr 2016
MysteriousBanana said:
fst said:

It's a different flavour to be sure, but fundamentally not so different that it's somehow "not macross"

That's fair, as much as I dislike it I won't deny it does have all the elements of other Macross titles.

I just don't believe it's a good Macross title due to how it presents said elements.

Bingo!

Some people in this thread act like one has no basis for criticizing Delta due to its commonalities with previous Macross titles. But while Delta shares the Mecha/Music/Muse concept with other Macross productions, the way that concept is balanced and executed is what is key. It's what sets all the Macross titles apart despite their common thread.

Delta's execution of the Mecha/Music/Muse formula was tweaked to milk the idol craze and panders so hard to the idol otakus that I think it hurts Delta.

Granted, all of the Macross titles ask of the audience a certain level of suspension of disbelief, but Delta's particular execution practically demands a significantly higher level of it. Case in point for me (besides the "magitech girls") was the dancing mechas. Seeing this huge Valkyrie mad shuffling to avoid enemy fire--- I just about lost it. X-D

MysteriousBanana said:

fst said:

You make it sound like they just #YOLO'd into them, but they clearly knew what they where doing and had the situation under control, so I disagree that all sanity and self preservation was gone.

They shrugged off near missile strikes and continued singing with a smile. Freyja ran toward gunfire because she was so stoked to sing.

The former just illustrated they were either never in danger (which is why I argued earlier that Delta trivialized the role of the valkyries) or they're off their rockers.

It's just the glorious kamikaze spirit at work! :-P

I realize that this incongruity worked for DYRL during the final battle but at least a level of disassociation was justified with Minmei being on-stage and carried into direct combat encased in a massive, reverse engineered, fleet killing alien fortress.

However, the members of Walkure are engaged in direct close quarters battle with hostile forces, literally face-to-face. They're smiling, singing, dancing, flashing hand signs while dozens if not hundreds of innocents are killed or are trapped in the rubble immediately around them. It makes me think the members of Walkure are under the effects of a combat drug, suffering from a side effect of their advanced tech, or are having a psychotic break or are otherwise utterly detached from the reality of the battlefield.

I'm hoping the writers will address this incongruity at some point, possibly as a means of exploring the dramatic side of Delta, otherwise the incongruity that makes this scene funny...

...will end up being a sticking point in Delta. But various Macross muses have been shown to suffer for their art so maybe this will be addressed in Delta at some point.

Despite the problems I have with Delta based on what I've seen so far, I concede that it's far too early to write it off.

I found the development of how music is used in Macross, from weapon to method of communication to method of healing, is an interesting and commendable one. I'm interested in seeing how Delta handles Walkure's "magitech" and I just love mecha combat and dogfights.

Also, more Mirage plz! ^_^

I'm willing to give Macross Delta a chance.
AkiotioApr 8, 2016 7:02 AM
Apr 8, 2016 7:34 AM

Jul 2007
Delta's execution of the Mecha/Music/Muse formula was tweaked to milk the idol craze and panders so hard to the idol otakus that I think it hurts Delta.

Latest Macross Franchise title focuses on the current musical trends in Japan and incorporates them into narrative. News at Eleven!
Apr 8, 2016 8:19 AM
Apr 2016
Fai said:
Latest Macross Franchise title focuses on the current musical trends in Japan and incorporates them into narrative. News at Eleven!

News at Twelve! Pointing that out doesn't change the fact that the degree to which this pandering strategy was implemented in Delta (at least according to what was shown in this preview) inherently limits Delta's appeal to a much narrower degree. I felt that some of the other Macross titles at least tried to walk a line that was a little broader.

With that said, this is just one episode where they chose to showcase their brand of musical combat schtick. With the entirety of Delta yet to be seen, there's plenty of opportunities for them to show if this new formula can work out.
AkiotioApr 8, 2016 8:36 AM
Apr 8, 2016 8:34 AM
May 2011
Akiotio said:
Fai said:

News at Twelve! Pointing that out doesn't change the fact that the degree to which this pandering strategy was implemented in Delta (at least according to what was shown in this preview) inherently limits Delta's appeal to a much narrower degree. I felt that some of the other Macross titles at least tried to walk a line that was a little broader.

With that said, this is just one episode where they chose to showcase the whole musical combat schtick. With the entirety of Delta yet to be seen, there's plenty of opportunities for them to show if this new formula can work out.

How is it pandering when it literally is just reflecting the trends? JP Idols were on the rise when Frontier was premiering, JP Idol groups are at their height right now, there's no pandering, it's just trends.
Apr 8, 2016 8:41 AM

Mar 2013
DJAzureSky said:
Akiotio said:

With that said, this is just one episode where they chose to showcase the whole musical combat schtick. With the entirety of Delta yet to be seen, there's plenty of opportunities for them to show if this new formula can work out.

How is it pandering when it literally is just reflecting the trends? JP Idols were on the rise when Frontier was premiering, JP Idol groups are at their height right now, there's no pandering, it's just trends.

If it's a change that follows trends which one personally is not amenable to, then its pandering.

That's how it works.
Apr 8, 2016 8:43 AM
May 2011
fst said:
DJAzureSky said:

If it's a change that follows trends which one personally is not amenable to, then its pandering.

That's how it works.

So you're saying it's pandering depending on who it's viewed by? I guess that makes sense, but I just see it not as pandering because it's just Macross being Macross as usual.
Apr 8, 2016 8:48 AM

Mar 2013
DJAzureSky said:
fst said:

That's how it works.

So you're saying it's pandering depending on who it's viewed by? I guess that makes sense, but I just see it not as pandering because it's just Macross being Macross as usual.

I'm just saying that around here, when somebody calls something pandering, that's what they actually mean.
Apr 8, 2016 8:50 AM

Jan 2016
Also anyone could tell that there is amost no difference between Mazinger Z (1972) and Gundam (1979)
They were just in trend with the year they were produced...
I can easily name common elements that the 2 shows had, to the point that they could be part of the same franchise ;)
- Both 18m tall robot
- Both pilots are 16 yo
- Both cockpit is inside an escape plane that can be detached
- Both are supported by 2 other robots much weaker
- Both cant fly for the first part of the show, until a support unit that can combine with them is introduced
- Both are destroyed in the last episode
- Both are replaced by a stronger version in the following series...

We could continue for very very long...
But i will not say that someone is blind or worse, cause he cant see that mazinger and Gundam are the same
Apr 8, 2016 9:19 AM
Apr 2016
DJAzureSky said:

It's possible to cover a trend without becoming too exclusive to fans of that trend. A skillful production team should be capable of this. The other Macross titles demonstrate this to varying degrees. They walked somewhat of a middle ground and managed to balance the aspects of the mecha/music/muse formula and incorporate elements of the idol/music trend of the time without swinging too far in a particular direction.

When watching the other Macross titles, I didn't feel like I had to be an idol fan to enjoy any of them. But Delta feels more exclusive to me in this regard than the other Macross titles. However, I concede that what amounts to an extended preview where the producers try to compress as many key elements about the show into a brief period isn't necessarily an accurate barometer.

As I said, the entirety of Delta remains to be seen. I'm willing to give it a chance.
Apr 8, 2016 9:32 AM
May 2011
Akiotio said:
DJAzureSky said:

It's possible to cover a trend without becoming too exclusive to fans of that trend. A skillful production team should be capable of this. The other Macross titles demonstrate this to varying degrees. They walked somewhat of a middle ground and managed to balance the aspects of the mecha/music/muse formula and incorporate elements of the idol/music trend of the time without swinging too far in a particular direction.

When watching the other Macross titles, I didn't feel like I had to be an idol fan to enjoy any of them. But Delta feels more exclusive to me in this regard than the other Macross titles. However, I concede that what amounts to an extended preview where the producers try to compress as many key elements about the show into a brief period isn't necessarily an accurate barometer.

As I said, the entirety of Delta remains to be seen. I'm willing to give it a chance.

Fair enough. Even Frontier only had 5 minutes of Sheryl being an idol, but we only had about 3 characters to be introduced to. Here we have 15 characters to learn and 6 minutes of Walkure being idols of the battlefield.

I guess the massive amount of characters hurt the first episode, but I guess there was no real way to balance the introduction, was there?
Apr 8, 2016 9:38 AM
Apr 2016
ZeroG said:
Also anyone could tell that there is amost no difference between Mazinger Z (1972) and Gundam (1979)
They were just in trend with the year they were produced...
I can easily name common elements that the 2 shows had, to the point that they could be part of the same franchise ;)
---snip---
We could continue for very very long...
But i will not say that someone is blind or worse, cause he cant see that mazinger and Gundam are the same

I think an important aspect that everyone seems to be ignoring is execution. Yes, two shows can follow the same formula, but how those shows execute their versions of that common formula is what makes the difference.
Apr 8, 2016 9:47 AM

Jan 2016
Akiotio said:
I think an important aspect that everyone seems to be ignoring is execution. Yes, Mazinger Z and Gundam follow the same formula, but how they execute that formula is what makes the difference.

I agree
I was just trying to make an example of two series completely diffetent from each other even if some elements are the same
As for delta im not even sure to give it a chance, for the reason that i disagree with trends
I disagree into changing that much a franchise and selling it with the same name cause is better for marketing
ZeroGApr 8, 2016 9:53 AM
Apr 8, 2016 9:52 AM
Apr 2016
DJAzureSky said:
...we only had about 3 characters to be introduced to. Here we have 15 characters to learn and 6 minutes of Walkure being idols of the battlefield.

I guess the massive amount of characters hurt the first episode, but I guess there was no real way to balance the introduction, was there?

I agree. Other than spanning the introduction across a few episodes in its own arc, or doing the introduction of the characters in the form of "shorts" prior to series release, their options were pretty limited given the anime industry's very tight budgets and schedules.
Apr 8, 2016 9:55 AM
May 2011
Akiotio said:
DJAzureSky said:
...we only had about 3 characters to be introduced to. Here we have 15 characters to learn and 6 minutes of Walkure being idols of the battlefield.

I agree. Other than spanning the introduction across a few episodes in its own arc, or doing the introduction of the characters in the form of "shorts" prior to series release, their options were pretty limited given the anime industry's very tight budgets and schedules.

It makes me a little sad, considering that the dogfight between the Knights of the Wind and Delta Squad was super hype and yet everyone only remembers Walkure, even though they only had about 6 minutes to themselves shared alongside Delta Squad.
Apr 8, 2016 10:16 AM

Jan 2016
DJAzureSky said:
It makes me a little sad, considering that the dogfight between the Knights of the Wind and Delta Squad was super hype and yet everyone only remembers Walkure, even though they only had about 6 minutes to themselves shared alongside Delta Squad.

That fight is also a change of the trend, compared to the first macross
How many draken vf did charged? 6 of them?
Against a fleet of how many cruiser and aircraft carriers?
Military ships that were already on red alert cause of the zeltran rampage
Not one of them was shot down, if this will ever happen, it will by the hand of a named character, not an anonymous enemy
Sure, is not that different from macross 7 when basara alone can charge a meltran fleet
But completely different from the fist mecha show were the main character had a mecha of the same power of the others, and was taken down 3 times, with that mecha destroyed
Apr 8, 2016 11:05 AM
Jan 2014
God, this show is so embarrassing to watch...

PS: Am I the only one here who find that heart-shaped growth on Freyja's head fucking disturbing???
Apr 8, 2016 11:10 AM
May 2011
ZeroG said:
DJAzureSky said:

Not one of them was shot down, if this will ever happen, it will by the hand of a named character, not an anonymous enemy
Sure, is not that different from macross 7 when basara alone can charge a meltran fleet
But completely different from the fist mecha show were the main character had a mecha of the same power of the others, and was taken down 3 times, with that mecha destroyed

For someone that claims they watched Macross, they totally forgot about Hikaru's final assault against the Zentradi in DYRL.
ZeroG said:
DJAzureSky said:

For someone that claims they watched the original Macross, they totally forgot that Max, Milia, and Hikaru never got shot down in the final assault in DYRL.

YOu hold SDF to such a high standard that you only look back on it in a positive light forgetting details.
Apr 8, 2016 11:25 AM

Jan 2016
DJAzureSky said:
For someone that claims they watched the original Macross, they totally forgot that Max, Milia, and Hikaru never got shot down in the final assault in DYRL.

YOu hold SDF to such a high standard that you only look back on it in a positive light forgetting details

Im starting to belive you never watched macross

In the tv shows:

Hikaru
Shot down in the first episode, his vf got emergengy repairs but was destroyed in the second ep, he was saved by roy
Later he got a different vf that was destroyed by britai in a brawl, he ejected
Later he got a different vf and was shot down by friendly fire, he ejected and got hospitalized

We can add 2 main characters killed in action also by unnamed soldiers that you dont even see while they shoot

Macross was the FIRST show when a hero mecha was just common equipment
The FIRST show when a main character can be killed by accidental explosions or unnamed fire from a random enemy fighter

The RX78 gundam compared was the top of the line, best mecha in federation, immune to common fire (zaku bazooka cant scratch it from close range), destroyed only in the end after a duel with another main character

This macross style is actually something that i appreciated
In macross when i saw a fight for first time, i was scared that main characters could die anytime
Here in delta im fine, i know that main characters will die, but only by the hands of other main characters after a good duel
They can charge alone one fleet or 2 of unnamed grunts, no problems
Apr 8, 2016 12:07 PM

Jan 2016
PointyThingy said:
God, this show is so embarrassing to watch...

PS: Am I the only one here who find that heart-shaped growth on Freyja's head fucking disturbing???
is ok, you are not the only one :)

PS: i wonder if Freyja hairs after some experience, will go into a pink hearted super sayan mode while she sings
Other idols are already able to win against battlepods, but a mile long battleship is still too strong for them...
Apr 8, 2016 12:15 PM
Apr 2016
DJAzureSky said:

I suppose people getting hung up on Walkure is understandable. Past Macross idols being exposed directly to combat at some point is not new in Macross in general. But idols working in teams as official lead combat units who possess technology that allows them to engage heavily armed opponents at hand-to-hand combat ranges with holograms and force fields and adorned only in stage costumes is a pretty bold gamble.
Apr 8, 2016 12:23 PM
May 2011
Akiotio said:
DJAzureSky said:

I suppose people getting hung up on Walkure is understandable. Past Macross idols being exposed directly to combat at some point is not new in Macross in general. But idols working in teams as official lead combat units who possess technology that allows them to engage heavily armed opponents at hand-to-hand combat ranges with holograms and force fields and adorned only in stage costumes is a pretty bold gamble.

Ranka was on the flight deck of the Quarter in Sayonara no Tsubasa tho...

Then don't forget that Sheryl and Ranka had a Macross Cannon aimed at them in that same movie completely unprotected if it weren't for the Vajra.
Apr 8, 2016 12:46 PM
Apr 2016
DJAzureSky said:

Then don't forget that Sheryl and Ranka had a Macross Cannon aimed at them in that same movie completely unprotected if it weren't for the Vajra.

I did say that "past Macross idols being exposed directly to combat at some point is not new in Macross in general". The bold gamble I was referring to was making the idols an elite front line unit. It's certainly a departure from past Macross titles where the idols tended to be civilians doing their own thing when they were unexpectedly swept up by the conflict that eventually leads them to participate in key battles.
AkiotioApr 8, 2016 12:53 PM
Apr 8, 2016 12:48 PM

Jan 2016
DJAzureSky said:

Like evey other civilian that lived in frontier, and if not for the Vajira, would have been killed by galaxy's macross cannon

I belive that singing from a stage or the backseat of a plane is different from singing on the back of a plane during a fight

If you dont belive me, try to sing on the roof of a car while it moves at fast speed
Just ask someone else to report the results on this forum, cause i fear you will be unable to do it
ZeroGApr 8, 2016 12:52 PM
Apr 8, 2016 12:52 PM
May 2011
Akiotio said:
DJAzureSky said:

I did say that "past Macross idols being exposed directly to combat at some point is not new in Macross in general". The bold gamble I was referring to was making the idols an elite front line unit. It's certainly a departure from past Macross titles where the idols tended to be civilians doing their own thing when they were unexpectedly swept up by the conflict.

I guess, that's why I brought up Houkago Overflow from Sayonara no Tsubasa, she was on the frontlines to amplify her song to fight Galaxy's implants.
Apr 8, 2016 12:58 PM

Jan 2016
DJAzureSky said:
I guess, that's why I brought up Houkago Overflow from Sayonara no Tsubasa, she was on the frontlines to amplify her song to fight Galaxy's implants.

And she was not coordinating with other 4 idols to
Sing the same song with the others not missing a word
Jump on the same time on the radar disk of a gerwalk
Dance in perfect coordination with the others on that disk while it moves
All of this during a battle...
You really belive is no different from what ranka or min may did?
Apr 8, 2016 1:13 PM
May 2011
ZeroG said:
DJAzureSky said:

And she was not coordinating with other 4 idols to
Sing the same song with the others not missing a word
Jump on the same time on the radar disk of a gerwalk
Dance in perfect coordination with the others on that disk while it moves
All of this during a battle...

Yeah. It's just done to a more ridiculous degree.
Apr 8, 2016 1:24 PM

Jan 2016
DJAzureSky said:
ZeroG said:

Yeah. It's just done to a more ridiculous degree.
Many things from past macross series were ridicolous
Basara was ridicolous
Ranka dressed as a carrot was ridicolus, and also cute
Is ridicolous to see 6 draken VF that alone kill an entire fleet without a scratch, and can be stopped only by special unit (main characters with a name and superior VF)

But singing from a stage is no more ridicolous than a concert in the real world, sorry

Anyway why you got so upset in the past days, if you too agree that the walkure dance is ridicolus then we agreed from the start :)
Apr 8, 2016 1:56 PM

Mar 2009
As a fan of The original macross series that im note sure IF i like or hate Macross delta. Macross frontier was an okey anime but as macross anime it sucked big time. Kinda anoys me that both frontier and Delta has music more as main focus instead of being a space saga like the old macross was. Sure old macross had music but it was not the focus in the series. Wacthing first ep of Delta felt like watching an episode of that crappy Akb48 anime. Sure Delta seams like a nice anime but it is not macross it is more an idol anime than a space saga. But hey that how it is done today slap a famus name on something that don't belong there to get the hock on old fans to make more money. Like the resident evil movies that all they have in common it the games are names of characters and umbrella Corp just to sell shitty movies. All in all macross Delta is not bad but it is not macross not the one I loved and grew up with in the late 80s early 90s.
Apr 8, 2016 2:07 PM
May 2011
SwordBreaker28 said:
As a fan of The original macross series that im note sure IF i like or hate Macross delta. Macross frontier was an okey anime but as macross anime it sucked big time. Kinda anoys me that both frontier and Delta has music more as main focus instead of being a space saga like the old macross was. Sure old macross had music but it was not the focus in the series. Wacthing first ep of Delta felt like watching an episode of that crappy Akb48 anime. Sure Delta seams like a nice anime but it is not macross it is more an idol anime than a space saga. But hey that how it is done today slap a famus name on something that don't belong there to get the hock on old fans to make more money. Like the resident evil movies that all they have in common it the games are names of characters and umbrella Corp just to sell shitty movies. All in all macross Delta is not bad but it is not macross not the one I loved and grew up with in the late 80s early 90s.

It's been big on music forever.

This isn't Aquarion Logos compared to Sousei no Aquarion (where next to none of the themes of Aquarion were present)

This is like Aquarion EVOL compared to Sousei (where the series takes everything that made the original good, and intensifies it to a ridiculous degree)

That's why I say it's still pure Macross.
Apr 8, 2016 2:15 PM

Jan 2016
SwordBreaker28 said:
But hey that how it is done today slap a famus name on something that don't belong there to get the hock on old fans to make more money. Like the resident evil movies that all they have in common it the games are names of characters and umbrella Corp just to sell shitty movies. All in all macross Delta is not bad but it is not macross not the one I loved and grew up with in the late 80s early 90s.
Sadly that's whats happening with many other franchisings, like star wars
The storyboard is made to sell, to show what people is supposed to like, before thinking about what should realistically happen in the story they originally wrote.
Realism is boring, who cares if that idol is doing nosense, have you see her legs? Her dress? The song is very good and her voice is even better.
If this formula is a commercial success, the show will go on
If not, they will continue or reboot the franchise with another approach
I grew up in the 80, i watched many shows and liked many reboot, remake, sequels...
Yamato 2199 was awesome
Macross... well, think positive...
That just means that original show is still the best ^_^
Apr 8, 2016 2:22 PM

Mar 2009
ZeroG said:
SwordBreaker28 said:
But hey that how it is done today slap a famus name on something that don't belong there to get the hock on old fans to make more money. Like the resident evil movies that all they have in common it the games are names of characters and umbrella Corp just to sell shitty movies. All in all macross Delta is not bad but it is not macross not the one I loved and grew up with in the late 80s early 90s.
Sadly that's whats happening with many other franchisings, like star wars
The storyboard is made to sell, to show what people is supposed to like, before thinking about what should realistically happen in the story they originally wrote.
Realism is boring, who cares if that idol is doing nosense, have you see her legs? Her dress? The song is very good and her voice is even better.
If this formula is a commercial success, the show will go on
If not, they will continue or reboot the franchise with another approach
I grew up in the 80, i watched many shows and liked many reboot, remake, sequels...
Yamato 2199 was awesome
Macross... well, think positive...
That just means that original show is still the best ^_^

Well it shows that back in the day the knew how to make a good space saga/opera like old macross or yamato or my nr2 favorite legend of the galactic heries. Ha I bet if they rebooted that anime it would be less space opera and more songs boobs and allot of nude scene with instead of a political plot and war. Give me back good space operas
Apr 8, 2016 2:25 PM

Jan 2016
DJAzureSky said:

Too bad that in the original macross min may started to sing pretty late in the show

Also her songs were so weak, i remember her trying to escape from a zeltran with a song, the zeltran laughing at her, and kissing the meltran next to him, to show humans what real "culture" was
If she had walkure power those zeltran would have been slaughtered
Apr 8, 2016 2:37 PM

Jan 2016
SwordBreaker28 said:
Well it shows that back in the day the knew how to make a good space saga/opera like old macross or yamato or my nr2 favorite legend of the galactic heries. Ha I bet if they rebooted that anime it would be less space opera and more songs boobs and allot of nude scene with instead of a political plot and war. Give me back good space operas

Yeah, i wish that as well :)
There is a space opera series called titania, that somehow have elements in common with logh, but it stops after one season and you get to see few battles and more individual stories
Also one of my favourite space opera was banner of the stars...

Problem with series is more or less always the same, and thats called sponsor
Who put money on a series dont care of our feelings, but just the money they put into it
The first gundam had to transform and use a rocket hammer cause of that
Today anime are a big business, on the same level of Hollywood movies, they require alot of money for cg, and must promote toys, gadgets, cd....
Thats business :/
Apr 8, 2016 2:43 PM

Mar 2009
DJAzureSky said:
SwordBreaker28 said:

This isn't Aquarion Logos compared to Sousei no Aquarion (where next to none of the themes of Aquarion were present)

This is like Aquarion EVOL compared to Sousei (where the series takes everything that made the original good, and intensifies it to a ridiculous degree)

That's why I say it's still pure Macross.

Not really old macross did not have 2 songs every episode and not 4 bloody idols and also macross was about much more than music witch now seams to be the main fcous Delta is a anime about pop idols not a space saga.
Apr 8, 2016 2:54 PM

Mar 2009
ZeroG said:
SwordBreaker28 said:

Yeah, i wish that as well :)
There is a space opera series called titania, that somehow have elements in common with logh, but it stops after one season and you get to see few battles and more individual stories
Also one of my favourite space opera was banner of the stars...

Problem with series is more or less always the same, and thats called sponsor
Who put money on a series dont care of our feelings, but just the money they put into it
The first gundam had to transform and use a rocket hammer cause of that
Today anime are a big business, on the same level of Hollywood movies, they require alot of money for cg, and must promote toys, gadgets, cd....
Thats business :/

Yeah titania was good and man the banner of stars was great also outlaw stars. But yeah as you say today's is all about the cash witch makes me kinda get sick of anime sadly I may find some shows that entertain me but they don't hock me like they did back in the day. I would pay to see a macross anime with more focus on war and space exploration with a few songs to make the combat more epic. I will watch Delta becuse it seams to be an okey anime but I will still say it is not a macross wordy anime.
Apr 8, 2016 5:22 PM

Jan 2016
SwordBreaker28 said:
I would pay to see a macross anime with more focus on war and space exploration with a few songs to make the combat more epic. I will watch Delta becuse it seams to be an okey anime but I will still say it is not a macross wordy anime.

I watched again the trailer of the last year, there was no idol fighting, and looked so cool
Honestly, i would burn basara (very slowly) but loved macross 7 drawing style
I do really like the design of some character from macross delta
I do really like the mecha design of macross delta
And right now i have still hope for delta, even if is very tiny:
there is an anime that from the first episode could seem a school comedy, but in realty the world is next to total destruction and what we see is the delusional dream of a girl
maybe this macross delta first episode was something similar
maybe was the delusional dream of freyia point of view over the battle: idols that happily dance while hundreds are dead or agonizing in a crumbled city
maybe was just a concert, and the second episode starts with a "surprise" and the concert ends...
im being delusional i guess :(
but this delta had so much potential, so much...
the more you hope, the more you are disappointed when your hopes are not met
Apr 8, 2016 5:38 PM
May 2011
ZeroG said:
SwordBreaker28 said:
I would pay to see a macross anime with more focus on war and space exploration with a few songs to make the combat more epic. I will watch Delta becuse it seams to be an okey anime but I will still say it is not a macross wordy anime.

I watched again the trailer of the last year, there was no idol fighting, and looked so cool
there is an anime that from the first episode could seem a school comedy, but in realty the world is next to total destruction and what we see is the delusional dream of a girl
maybe was the delusional dream of freyia point of view over the battle: idols that happily dance while hundreds are dead or agonizing in a crumbled city
maybe was just a concert, and the second episode starts with a "surprise" and the concert ends...

SDF ISN'T COMING BACK. GET YOUR MIND BACK TO REALITY.
Apr 8, 2016 5:42 PM

Jan 2016
DJAzureSky said:
that's my line, to you, when you insists that there is almost no difference between macross tv / dyrl and delta
GET YOUR MIND BACK TO REALITY

is totally different, and totally out of place with first macross (but not with seven of course)
Apr 8, 2016 5:46 PM
May 2011
ZeroG said:
DJAzureSky said:
that's my line, to you, when you insists that there is almost no difference between macross tv / dyrl and delta
GET YOUR MIND BACK TO REALITY

is totally different, and totally out of place with first macross (but not with seven of course)
it's not out of line, it's a natural evolution
Apr 8, 2016 5:55 PM

Jan 2016
DJAzureSky said:
it's not out of line, it's a natural evolution

i've bought countless examples of how its not that natural as an evolution of first macross
and many fans, both old and new, by comparing the shows agreed that is not in line with original franchise
i guess no matter what the evidence you wont change your mind

just a note: sdf not coming back?
WRONG
for a very simple reason: marketing
like happens in gundam, with countless variations to the franchise, more or less in line to the original gundam idea, the same goes to macross
macross plus that was supposed to be the prequel of seven, was totally different and much more in line with the first
macross seven trash, that's drawn by the character design of the first macross, haruiko mikimoto, was pretty nice and very well drawn
just wait for the next macross, and the one after that
i have patience, and a lot of good anime i still have to watch while i wait ;)
Apr 8, 2016 6:07 PM
Apr 2016
DJAzureSky said:
...it's not out of line, it's a natural evolution

I kind of agree with you. Delta changed the role of the idol in Macross to a role that is far more active and hands-on right from the start. Historically, the female idols in Macross were strong female characters but still tended to have a "damsel in distress' element to them. Now that the idols are a combat unit unto themselves, on even footing with the combat pilots, this could be regarded as a very egalitarian and progressive approach.

I can't say that I like Macross turning into a musical sentai idol team show. But I'm resigned to the fact that, unless they RETCON hard in the next Macross series, this is part of the Macross canon now.

At least we'll get some new merch. I'm looking forward to checking out the new 1/72 scale variable fighter kits.
AkiotioApr 8, 2016 6:10 PM
Apr 8, 2016 6:10 PM

Jan 2016
Akiotio said:
I'm resigned to the fact that, unless they RETCON hard in the next Macross series, this is part of the Macross canon now.
Its all thanks to macross seven and basara!
Basara must die (slowly) :P :P :P
Apr 8, 2016 6:34 PM
May 2011
Akiotio said:
DJAzureSky said:
...it's not out of line, it's a natural evolution

I kind of agree with you. Delta changed the role of the idol in Macross to a role that is far more active and hands-on right from the start. Historically, the female idols in Macross were strong female characters but still tended to have a "damsel in distress' element to them. Now that the idols are a combat unit unto themselves, on even footing with the combat pilots, this could be regarded as a very egalitarian and progressive approach.

I can't say that I like Macross turning into a musical sentai idol team show. But I'm resigned to the fact that, unless they RETCON hard in the next Macross series, this is part of the Macross canon now.

At least we'll get some new merch. I'm looking forward to checking out the new 1/72 scale variable fighter kits.

It's really funny though, they're only shown as strong because Delta Squad is backing them up. The moment the Knights of the Wind showed up, Walkure was on the run.
Apr 8, 2016 8:12 PM
Apr 2016
DJAzureSky said:

It's really funny though, they're only shown as strong because Delta Squad is backing them up. The moment the Knights of the Wind showed up, Walkure was on the run.

It's completely understandable. Both Walkure and Delta were badly outnumbered.

The KotW divided their forces to keep Delta Squad occupied while simultaneously attacking Walkure. Each KotW fighter can deploy two drones each which effectively triples their strength to 18 fighters in total. To make matters worse, the KotW are ace pilots. Delta Squad only has four variable fighters to confront them.

Walkure and Delta Squad were already fighting the Var infected Zentradi on the ground when the six KotW fighters showed up. Walkure only has four idols, and their tech seems primarily defensive in nature with holograms and force fields. With Delta Squad occupied, Walkure alone was facing the remaining Var-infected Zentradi attacking from the ground, and now KotW attacking from the air.

Although there was a naval military presence, the fleet in orbit got taken out pretty quick and in the city, the Destroids (are they still called Destroids?) were pretty much just cannon fodder so I don't think you can even count them as an effective fighting force.

In the face of those odds, I think it would be suicide not to fall back and regroup, hopefully call in reinforcements.
Apr 8, 2016 9:01 PM
May 2011
Akiotio said:
DJAzureSky said:

It's completely understandable. Both Walkure and Delta were badly outnumbered.

The KotW divided their forces to keep Delta Squad occupied while simultaneously attacking Walkure. Each KotW fighter can deploy two drones each which effectively triples their strength to 18 fighters in total. To make matters worse, the KotW are ace pilots. Delta Squad only has four variable fighters to confront them.

Walkure and Delta Squad were already fighting the Var infected Zentradi on the ground when the six KotW fighters showed up. Walkure only has four idols, and their tech seems primarily defensive in nature with holograms and force fields. With Delta Squad occupied, Walkure alone was facing the remaining Var-infected Zentradi attacking from the ground, and now KotW attacking from the air.

Although there was a naval military presence, the fleet in orbit got taken out pretty quick and in the city, the Destroids (are they still called Destroids?) were pretty much just cannon fodder so I don't think you can even count them as an effective fighting force.

In the face of those odds, I think it would be suicide not to fall back and regroup, hopefully call in reinforcements.

Now this is a good analysis of the characters. I never thought of the defensive nature of Delta, but it starts to make sense when you realize that they aren't really trying to kill anyone, just protect Walkure and the Var infected soldiers from each other while Walkure neutralizes with their song.

We'll see soon how the Knights and Delta Squad clash again. I also can't wait to see Mirage live up to her Grandparents' skill, considering she's the worst pilot in the squad so far.
Apr 9, 2016 12:03 AM

Mar 2009
ZeroG said:
SwordBreaker28 said:

ZeroG said:
SwordBreaker28 said:

I totally know what you mean my hopes was sadly a great space saga but first episode was not :( .Anyway I will give Delta a chans because it is not bad and I like the music but I will watch it with my mind set that it will be an idol anime and not macross. To be honest I would love a anime about admiral hunter and SDF3 rather than singing girls well at least there is no Sheryl and ranka man I wish both where killed in the second season they where so annoying just like Minmay Im glad hunter picked lisa Hayase.
Apr 9, 2016 12:39 AM
May 2011
SwordBreaker28 said:

I totally know what you mean my hopes was sadly a great space saga but first episode was not :( .Anyway I will give Delta a chans because it is not bad and I like the music but I will watch it with my mind set that it will be an idol anime and not macross. To be honest I would love a anime about admiral hunter and SDF3 rather than singing girls well at least there is no Sheryl and ranka man I wish both where killed in the second season they where so annoying just like Minmay Im glad hunter picked lisa Hayase.

What the fuck is wrong with you?
Apr 9, 2016 1:09 AM

Jun 2014
While it has the basic elements of a Macross series (valkyries, singing and a love triangle), they have horribly subverted the singing aspect of the show. Minmay in SDFM was a pacifist as was Basara (the only time Basara shot in anger he hated himself for it). By making the idols a military unit in itself, they have embraced things which they were once critical of in Macross (Jamming Birds in Macross 7 anyone?).

The original Macross was also critical of the "building up" of an idol, and they showed both the good, but also the bad and the ugly of the idol business.. Here it seems they will wholeheartedly embrace it. But I suppose that's what sells today. Give the otaku their pure virginal idols doing cutesy things and everything is secondary.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » About this show's reputation and the endless "Frontier vs Delta" debate

ShadowMonkey - Aug 19, 2020

11 by Lucifrost »»
May 19, 6:14 PM

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

246 by AdrianShephardt »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.