Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 23, 2016 3:29 PM
Oct 2012
eddo209 said:
Negative comments are just as valid as positive ones in a discussion thread. It's a discussion, not a circle-jerk.

No, negative comments are not as valid as positive ones any more than insults are as valid as compliments when dealing with strangers. You want to go negative, have the common decency to explain why you are negative. That was what Scotland mocked you for, and he was completely correct.

Second, you were the one berating everyone who liked the episode, it is a tad humorous to see how thin skinned you became when someone called you out for it.
Jan 23, 2016 4:41 PM

May 2015
best girl's comeback, rory mercury
Jan 23, 2016 5:08 PM
Oct 2012
StormxNightmare said:
Why are bunnygirls with white fur always evil?

Rabbits fur turn white during winter, winter is cold and cruel. This is why any fantasy with a "snow queen" has her being evil, similar also to the Japanese legend of the Yuki Onna (though in both cases some stories want to rehabilitate the legend).
Jan 23, 2016 5:46 PM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
eddo209 said:
Negative comments are just as valid as positive ones in a discussion thread. It's a discussion, not a circle-jerk.

No, negative comments are not as valid as positive ones any more than insults are as valid as compliments when dealing with strangers. You want to go negative, have the common decency to explain why you are negative. That was what Scotland mocked you for, and he was completely correct.

Second, you were the one berating everyone who liked the episode, it is a tad humorous to see how thin skinned you became when someone called you out for it.

"the majority of the voters liked this episode? How?!" -> how you see this as berating is beyond me, this is a question and no malice was directed to the people who liked it. My reply wasn't thin skinned but quite calm. I didn't get called out but was plainly insulted, I guess that doesn't matter to you simply because you share the offender's opinion.

Here's your explanation: How about a disturbing display of mental illness, the worst possible handling of it possible by the main character which took up way too much time of the episode, ignoring the deviant culprit and simply taking her along cause hey that's where she needs to be, and oh I don't know, maybe the daughter sleeping with the "dad", and "oto-san" x1000 but hey, if you're into that...

And negative comments are as valid as positive ones, even if you disagree. Deal with it.
Jan 23, 2016 6:02 PM
Jan 2016
+Eddo,

If you are capable of coherent thought then you should be able to be negative without this F this and F that teenager mentality, because that's not negative bro, it's stupid, do you get my drift?
Jan 23, 2016 6:39 PM
Oct 2012
eddo209 said:
"the majority of the voters liked this episode? How?!" -> how you see this as berating is beyond me, this is a question and no malice was directed to the people who liked it.

You are questioning the integrity of any person who liked this episode. Let me put it this way. Let's say that after your post, I wrote a post saying: "I can't imagine anyone with any taste hating this episode".

Be honest, would you not think that this post was "berating" your post? Even if I did not directly quote you?

Now of course since we are having a discussion, and we are being all hyper-rational, it is easy to say that one should not take things personally unless specific addressed to them, but humans are not rational. It doesn't matter whether you had malice or not, in text and in life, the other person has no way of knowing what your intent was.

So take this as advice from a veteran critic rather than a personal retort: don't go negative unless you are willing to explain why you are going negative, otherwise people will think it is directed at them.

Is this fair? Probably not. But it is human. Let me affirm, I respect any critic who can articulate what they disliked, indeed I have done this on many threads (see the first three episodes of God Eater for a recent example), but criticizing is a very different thing from "knocking".

eddo209 said:
guess that doesn't matter to you simply because you share the offender's opinion.

Not really, I can easily understand why an "anime only" viewer might have disliked this episode. Had you specified what you disliked I can easily see myself agreeing with you. I have the ability to separate myself from being a reader and being a viewer.

That an "anime only" viewer could be worried that this show would descend into pathos is understandable, had you expressed this reservation, I would have agreed, but then as a reader I could have said: don't worry this episode cleared a lot of potentially boring scenes.

eddo209 said:
Here's your explanation: How about a disturbing display of mental illness, the worst possible handling of it possible by the main character which took up way too much time of the episode, ignoring the deviant culprit and simply taking her along cause hey that's where she needs to be, and oh I don't know, maybe the daughter sleeping with the "dad", and "oto-san" x1000 but hey, if you're into that...

See, now you are being specific. As a simple answer I would point to the episode last season where Itami warned his medic subordinate about getting too involved with people unless they were willing to see it to the end. This suggests that there is something in Itami's past that would explain his actions now.

If you want to see what, read the manga. Otherwise, chill out and see what happens.

That said, I need to stress that while this adaption has been very good, the problem is that the series was a split cour, so an anime only viewer may not have connected the two points. A perfect adaption should have referenced that scene to show Itami's conflict about helping Tuka. But, then had someone respected the work and said "hey this doesn't make sense", someone else could have explained it.

eddo209 said:
And negative comments are as valid as positive ones, even if you disagree. Deal with it.

Are you twelve? Only a pre-teenager can think that this is true.
Jan 23, 2016 7:18 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah Petrol and Takuan, you guys are right I went way over the top venting with that stupid post of mine, that's how upset I was after this episode I guess. I should've expected backlash and yes it's human. But SY went a little too far with the personal attacks so I called him out on that which is just as human.

Explanation about the episode is appreciated, but I understood it, I just couldn't stomach it. I really don't care about adaptation of a manga, though I can see how the manga readers view an anime entirely differently because they've read the source material.

Negative comments are as valid as positive ones, even if you disagree. There is a rating system that goes from 1-5 for an episode, not 3-5. Throwing ages around again doesn't change that. Peace.
Jan 23, 2016 7:32 PM
Oct 2012
eddo209 said:
Negative comments are as valid as positive ones, even if you disagree.

I will not let you have that parthian shot (google it). No, negative comments divorced of meaning are crap.

If you want to criticize then the burden is on you to explain the criticism. If you cannot do that, then you are a troll and an ass and deserve to be mocked and belittled.

Sorry, if you want to slither away, then be a man and admit your mistake, otherwise get thee back underneath your bridge troll, else I burn you.
Jan 23, 2016 7:41 PM
Jan 2016
eddo209 said:
that's how upset I was after this episode I guess.

Then count to 10 in your mind and think about what to post next, because venting in anger only ferments anger and anger only invites more anger. That's the advent of a flame war dude, that's not cool.

But the thing that got me the most was, you got this upset over an anime?

*Not directing this to you eddo you can look away if you want*

There are few examples of this, when kids throw tantrums over mmorpg games like WoW and Runecraft, they literally go apeshit over losing a duel and start throwing stuff in their rooms or violently pounding their keyboard and yelling at the screen. Saw some of that in videos posted on social media.
Jan 23, 2016 7:48 PM
Oct 2012
Petrol said:
But the thing that got me the most was, you got this upset over an anime?

While you speak truth, honestly, I can understand being upset over an anime. I am invested in anything that I invest my time into, so if I had invested several hours into a show, and the show suddenly disappointed, as a fan, no, as a human, then upset is only natural.

That said, anyone who had watched all the episodes of gate until now really shouldn't have been disappointed in this episode. Concerned, maybe, but annoyed? That suggests either someone who hasn't watched, or in this case, maybe someone personally vested who would have been better off asking whether this show would continue to disappoint. That is the fault of the original poster. No one, after 16 episodes has the right to merely rant about any episode. Reasons are what is needed.
Jan 23, 2016 8:02 PM
Nov 2012
[quote=eddo209 message=44387691]
Takuan_Soho said:
How about a disturbing display of mental illness, the worst possible handling of it possible by the main character which took up way too much time of the episode, ignoring the deviant culprit and simply taking her along cause hey that's where she needs to be, and oh I don't know, maybe the daughter sleeping with the "dad", and "oto-san" x1000 but hey, if you're into that...

Yes, Itami's handling of Tuka is weird. Rory and Lelei have been trying to help, but neither has much insight. Do immortal elves have a hard time comprehending death? I'd expected more help from Rory, who's immortal herself and has 900 years of experience watching ephemerals be born, live and die. She must have encountered Tuka's people in the past.
Jan 23, 2016 8:40 PM

Feb 2012
Poor Tuka! I hope she get better, mentally/psychologically.

In another note, Itami would make a great father, excluding the scene of him sleeping in the same bed as Tuka.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Jan 23, 2016 9:33 PM
Oct 2012
oldskoolpunk said:
Do immortal elves have a hard time comprehending death?

Wouldn't any immortal have a hard time understanding death? In Tuka's case, she is really suffering from survivor's remorse. Her father died to save her, because she is immortal and understands the sacrifice her father made, makes accepting his death even more difficult.

oldskoolpunk said:
I'd expected more help from Rory, who's immortal herself and has 900 years of experience watching ephemerals be born, live and die. She must have encountered Tuka's people in the past.

But then again, Rory has experienced so much death that it seems natural for her. Expecting sympathy from the disciple of the God of death, crime, and madness, is asking quite a lot.
Jan 23, 2016 10:31 PM
Mar 2013
I personally hope that the moderator remove message(s) that have nothing to do with the anime and are showing off their own self-confident... Sigh
Jan 23, 2016 11:23 PM

Nov 2013
Finally, someone told the truth to her, keeping it longer would get worse.
Also my waifu for this anime has been established, and it's *drum roll, Yao!
Many might not like her due to the way she used Tuka or "broke" her but it was inevitable and well her reasons are not really bad, she's been asking for "episodes" yet no one accepted, so yeah she was desperate and did that.
I don't like 'em good, I like 'em determined.

Long story short
Yao is not a bitch, you'd have done the same.
Her actions are understandable, same thing with Tyuule.
I found the scenes with Itami acting as father to Tuka, horrible cringy, ugh, but seriously someone had to do it, regardless of whether it was Yao or the gang.
People are just flaming Yao out of fandom.
Though bot of them are really old, I'd expect them to be a bit more mature xD.
KapengBarakoJan 23, 2016 11:48 PM
Jan 24, 2016 12:31 AM

Dec 2013
OTOSAN??????!?!?!???!??!???????

Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Jan 24, 2016 5:47 AM

Feb 2015
Such a badass move from Itami. Glad to see there is no more rape and you know ..
Jan 24, 2016 6:59 AM

Nov 2011
Episode advancing quite well in the first and second phases, the narrative once was somber and at times dramatic, but the fear that history might be resolved with a bullshit, was lying in wait, or so I thought, and so is the end state, the end of episode is really a lack of style, oh well! XD
Drawings and animations good, but the plot errors seen today, is enriched with new elements that make it more intriguing.
Jan 24, 2016 7:24 AM

Mar 2012
Leiss said:
Such a badass move from Itami. Glad to see there is no more rape and you know ..

HAHAHA...Just keep watching....X)
Jan 24, 2016 8:49 AM
Dec 2013
I wanted to feel happy, but I understood the circumstances for what Itami was going through in this episode.

And this is speculation but, i get the feeling that Tuka will either get better OR Eventually break if she sees Itami die then kill the survivor.
Jan 24, 2016 11:51 AM

Mar 2015
DmonHiro said:
Wow, that scene where Ducy breaks down yelling at Itami was fantastic. Really good directing and amazing voice acting. You could feel the pain.

I completely agree. Hikasa Yoko's voice acting was perfect for that scene!!

I also loved the way that Rory got Itami's attention: swept his legs out from under him and then jamming her halberd into the ground right next to his face!
The sword that takes life gives life
Jan 24, 2016 1:33 PM
Jan 2016
-ShadowClaw- said:
Leiss said:

I wouldn't be too sure, yes they used the rape scene in the first episode for effect to connect Tyuule to Prince Jackass. I'm not saying they will or will not show it, I am merely stating how awesome the pacing of the show is--because production did an excellent job of condensing it, that they may not include every grotesque scene from the original material and manga.
Jan 24, 2016 1:56 PM

Mar 2012
Petrol said:
-ShadowClaw- said:

I wouldn't be too sure, yes they used the rape scene in the first episode for effect to connect Tyuule to Prince Jackass. I'm not saying they will or will not show it, I am merely stating how awesome the pacing of the show is--because production did an excellent job of condensing it, that they may not include every grotesque scene from the original material and manga.

Not everything for sure...but the ones that are crucial to the plot ...they will be just...the next few episodes alone should give u hints as to what is to come if u read the manga or LN already. This series is not all honey and biscuits even if they toned it down.
Jan 24, 2016 1:56 PM
Sep 2013
Uugh, this series would be so much better if they cut the female cast by at least half. Why the hell are there so many female characters given the context anyways? This is just turning into an old man's fantasy jail-bait harem. And would kill the author to make at least one of them an adult?
Jan 24, 2016 4:05 PM
Jan 2016
-ShadowClaw- said:
Petrol said:

Not everything for sure...but the ones that are crucial to the plot ...they will be just...the next few episodes alone should give u hints as to what is to come if u read the manga or LN already. This series is not all honey and biscuits even if they toned it down.

[Keep in mind I haven't read any printed material. Just going by others observations and anime only]

I agree for the most part because this season they haven't held back much except the dress of the prostitutes and the sex slave Noriko. They have been consistent adding the darker themes. I'd say its a stretch to add yet another rape scene after that reveal from episode 1, I would think they wouldn't go to well a second time if its not tied to major plot point. Even if it was, I still think they wouldn't.
Jan 24, 2016 5:45 PM
Oct 2012
MrNTR said:
Uugh, this series would be so much better if they cut the female cast by at least half. Why the hell are there so many female characters given the context anyways? This is just turning into an old man's fantasy jail-bait harem. And would kill the author to make at least one of them an adult?

The goth girl, Rory is 900+ years old, the blonde Elf is 165, the dark elf is about the same age. The only child is Leilei. Part of the charm of this series is that Itami is well aware that this is a harem like situation, but his moral keep getting in the way. Go back to the first season when he was talking to his ex-wife about it.

That aside, keep watching, the action meter is about to rocket up.
Jan 25, 2016 1:07 AM

Jun 2014
Obvious plot set up episode, not musch happening other than a lot of dialogue.
Nott sure how I feel about either elf girl.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jan 25, 2016 4:11 AM

Mar 2015
Umm... Tuka.. I think a rather more important question is why are you sleeping naked with your father? Since Tuka is yuri, I think this is the only way to put her into Itami's "harem". I mean she hugged him and all like a date, while pretending he is her father.

Yao is just harsh to get what she wants. To think that Itami didn't at least slapped her annoyed me.

The lack of Rory screen time is disturbing. But that ending scene lol. She just came out of nowhere and tackled Itami down making contract and stuff.

Itami said:
"Rory, will you come with me"

I was expecting Rory to think the wrong way and point it out to him. lol

Jan 25, 2016 9:22 AM

Jun 2014
Finally some Rory
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2016 10:20 AM

Jun 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
eddo209 said:
What the fuck was this insufferable bullshit, and the majority of the voters liked this episode? How?! I'll watch the next episode for the one good scene like last episode, and probably skip through the one after that. Jesus Christ I can't believe what I just saw, how the fuck is this entertaining?

It always makes you wonder when it comes to MAL and A-1 Pictures shows doesn't it? Feels like the average score of any given show they do is inflated by as many as 1-2 stars over what I would feel like giving it.

Hey they follow Manga...these scene's have to be on it to build background and what is happening in other areas. If they just started to kill Dragon immediately this would be oer soon..and entire show ruined.
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Jan 25, 2016 10:11 PM

Oct 2008
Itami really cares about the three girl! just look at Tuka, he decided to pretend Tuka's father!
Itami and the gang including Yao is now going to a "TRIP" to "KILL" enryuu!
5/5!

Jan 26, 2016 5:32 AM
Jun 2013
Leiss said:

I still hate, that the author seemed it necessary to include rape in the first place. If the whole point is, to show that some guy is a douche, it could have gone much smoother. Just make him disrespect the maids or slap a girl or some shit. Not full on rape, prostitution and slavery.
The problem with rape i always have is that it ruins the character- not in a story standpoint but in a viewpoint FROM the character. How do you think those girls feel? I wrote this before- i can stomach gore and violence perfectly but rape is something that can ruin an entire series for me- and it did. I was expecting a pleasant time, relaxing after my work of the day and some poor girl got raped. Turns out she is evil or whatever according to spoilers but nonetheless.

I really enjoyed the second episode, though there were hints at rape and slavery once again. Would not be surprised if the captured girl got raped, too. That guy had his beating coming and i sure hope he dies a slow death.
I was really surprised when Itami punched him right in the face. The self-insert-MCs of today normally just suck stuff like that up but not with Itami. Which is a really good thing imo.

Now to the actual episode 3 discussion: I liked, that it got turned away from the plot until now. I am rather sick of the storyline with the bunny girl.
The handling of the PTSD was rather poor, though i am no psychologist, i feel it should have been treated differently. Looking at character development it was a good choice to include it though. The whole "oto-san stuff" was a bit to much but the whole purpose it served was to make Tuka vulnerable to Yao and showing how mad she has gotten over the loss of her clan.

All in all i still like the series but the rape really put a big damper in my scoring, so i simply will hold of on that until the series is finished.
I like the idea of fantasy colliding with technology, so i have taken a liking to this series just by the setting alone but i still expected a bit of a more... let's say "mild" experience. And that's a bad thing.
I really do not like the series in terms of storytelling. It goes from showing how the world works back to action, which in itself is nice but i think it needs to know if it wants to be dark and gruesome, with serious themes like rape and slavery as well as war and all that comes with it, or a "look at this fantasy world full of cute girls and epic adventure"-sort of thing.
It is difficult to draw a line here. Fantasy in itself can be dark to a decent amount, like how a dragon burns down a village and the only girl left has PTSD due to her loss of family but torturing, physically as well as mentally takes this into a dark direction very fast.
Fighting a dragon with magic and modern weaponry is entertaining and cool and showing of this new interesting world with a different way of life in itself is really interesting, too and it is what i want to see in a fantasy anime and it is also what the first season showed perfectly. While rape was mentioned it stopped there.
Season two however, got dark directly in the first episode. It is difficult to show realism and not include rape, i'll give you that much, but i had hoped it would not really be included in the first place, since GATE had more potential in showing the difference between cultures and how different the government is from ours. Sure- the rape scene is there to show it but there could have been a lot of different ways too. The overly mighty king in itself was a fine example of that. He was cruel but he was not a cruel son of a bitch, like his son. The payback-episode was great but it still did not vindicate the rape.
However, by making episode 2 strong in the "payback" aspect, it still diminishes how great episode 3 actually was. You come back from this good feeling of someone punching someone evil in the face until he begs to stop and simply showing off character development by talking seems a bit boring, though some might argue, it is the best way, if not done for too long. Couple this with fanservice and the whole "oto-san"-scenes and the character development is nearly non-existent, since it has been forgotten. I am glad episode 3 wrapped up pretty fast but i would have liked it to focus more on character instead of fanservice- something a lot of anime get wrong frequently. Fanservice is not bad- more the opposite, just make it justifiable and let it not overshadow events that are more important.
If i look at episode 3 from a story-point-perspective, i am really glad it gets back to showing the dragon as an antagonist. I really prefer the neutral-evil antagonists after all. Simply charging the dragon and blowing it up, seems a bit unworthy though, so i am hyped for what is to happen.

All in all i liked the episode but the second season so far has been rather disappointing for me. I mean if you can totally stomach rape you probably had a great time but i had a hard time coming back to the new episodes after episode 13, just because it was a contrast i had not expected and would have rather avoided by skipping the entire series.
I came here to have fun by watching a cool battle with a dragon in a setting, that is something new entirely(not just a school that trains children to fight, like all the other light novels) and not witness rape and slavery- but hey!--- If that is what is boating your floating, i won't judge.

Just saying i would really welcome if rape was gone from my entertainment of choice i have already invested a lot of time into.
Jan 26, 2016 6:37 AM

Feb 2015
megakruemel said:
Leiss said:

That was very well said. I'm okay with the murder and the rest of the action that's presented in GATE, even with the slavery. But when it comes to rape and other kind of sexual abuse it really put me off.
I watch this on the weekend but since they started with a rape scene and a sexually abused slave i kinda watch it when i have nothing else ..
Jan 26, 2016 10:07 AM

May 2014
Devilsayshi said:
Okay so she sleeps with her father naked...uuugh..what..

Edit: I don't know what I did wrong but the image doesn't show, it was just Tuka sleeping with Itami from a printscreen link.

Fixed for ya. You just need to copy the link of direct image which is "http://i.imgur.com/gKJBhus.png".
Jan 26, 2016 11:35 AM

Sep 2012
I never liked this arc in the manga. I skimmed and skip through most of it. Both of the elves are annoying. I understand the reason behind their actions, but ugh. Worst arc of the series. Can't wait till most of the elf drama is over and we get some dragon action and some more political drama.
Friends are there to lend a hand when you can’t do something on your own. It’s not one person doing all the work protecting everyone, we help each other when in need. That’s what friends are for.
Jan 26, 2016 11:47 AM

Jan 2016
I'm so HYPED for fight with the dragon <3
but also scared that they want to use Pina to start a war :( Pina is too sweet yaoi manga reader,my heart will break if they trick her ;[
Jan 26, 2016 1:11 PM

Jan 2011
A lot of hinting of legitimate story elements in this episode, stuff that's going on now feels a bit hurr tbh. More plot soon™.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 26, 2016 2:39 PM

Nov 2012
Noctis said:

Fixed for ya. You just need to copy the link of direct image which is "http://i.imgur.com/gKJBhus.png".

Aah I see! Thank you :)
Jan 26, 2016 5:35 PM

Oct 2010
"One of the things that happens in Hollywood--they spend 90% of their energy in development meetings talking about bad guy plans. It's amazing how much energy is spent talking about it--and no one gives a **** about bad guy plans."

This observation from screenwriter Drew Goddard in a recent interview is something that came to mind when watching this episode. I found the relationship development between Tuka and Itami much more interesting than the callous "bad guy plans" at the center of the plot.

That said, it bothers me that Itami is lying to Tuka about the reality she's experiencing, rather than simply being both honest with her and there for her within that honest reality. No matter how well-meaning, Itami's insistence on pretending to be someone he's not doesn't strike me as something a truly caring friend would do.
Jan 26, 2016 7:53 PM
Oct 2012
megakruemel said:
I still hate, that the author seemed it necessary to include rape in the first place. If the whole point is, to show that some guy is a douche, it could have gone much smoother. Just make him disrespect the maids or slap a girl or some shit. Not full on rape, prostitution and slavery.

Part of the brilliance of the original work was that is shows the time period AS the time period would have been. Not romanticized, but as brutal to modern sensibilities as it was. And not even "that" time period. Up until 100 years ago, this wouldn't have been uncommon in 95% of the world. As for the remaining 5% it wouldn't have been uncommon 150 years ago.

This series is a lovely antidote to the romantic crap that Disney vomits out. Princes are not noble, they screw who they want and then abandon them when they become inconvenient. "Princesses"? As Princess Diana showed, they are breeding cows, nothing more. That we teach girls to aspire to such a role is even more disgusting. Welcome to reality.

megakruemel said:
The problem with rape i always have is that it ruins the character- not in a story standpoint but in a viewpoint FROM the character. How do you think those girls feel?

Exactly, but don't you sympathize with Bunny Queen and Noriko now? The animation did its job.

megakruemel said:
I was really surprised when Itami punched him right in the face. The self-insert-MCs of today normally just suck stuff like that up but not with Itami. Which is a really good thing imo.

Yes, but I think the original manga captured the scene better. In it the Prince had about a dozen girls in chains, you could see the revulsion in the faces of the JSDF members, but as long as it was a native issue they were willing to overlook it. It was only when Itami realized that one was a "real" world victim that he responded. Had the animation company kept this it would have hinted more at the moral conflict "strangers in a strange land" suffer. That said, I think the reason they cut it was because, like you, they wanted to minimize the barbarity. So ironically, I wished they would have done more, you wish they would have done less.

[quote=megakruemel message=44426405]Now to the actual episode 3 discussion: I liked, that it got turned away from the plot until now. I am rather sick of the storyline with the bunny girl./quote]

It will get more interesting.

megakruemel said:
The handling of the PTSD was rather poor, though i am no psychologist, i feel it should have been treated differently. Looking at character development it was a good choice to include it though.

I can't recall if PTSD was more a western translation than original to the work. If it was original, then I agree that the use is wrong. Tuka does not have PTSD, her issue is simple denial. The father she loved more than life (and who deserved such love) died to protect her. Tuka knows what that sacrifice entailed. He basically said that she was more important to him than immortality, she would have traded her immortality to save him. Thus the conflict. It is more akin to survivor's guilt than PTSD.

megakruemel said:
The whole "oto-san stuff" was a bit to much but the whole purpose it served was to make Tuka vulnerable to Yao and showing how mad she has gotten over the loss of her clan.

This gets played out better. So continue to watch, the series covers all this well.

megakruemel said:
I like the idea of fantasy colliding with technology, so i have taken a liking to this series just by the setting alone but i still expected a bit of a more...

A better way to appreciate this series is to think of it as the idea of fantasy colliding with reality. To return to my original post, this show actually addresses the difference in morality between the idealized past and modern society. This is a commendable series solely because it does not romanticize the past.
Jan 27, 2016 9:11 AM

Jan 2016
Yao is so annoying, why even bother helping her. To help that other crazy elf? Tuka needs to man up, damn that annoys me.
Jan 27, 2016 11:13 AM
Jan 2015
i likd the episode although i really didnt like yao ofter what she did
also can anyone tell me what chapter/volume is it on the light novel
Jan 27, 2016 8:39 PM

Jul 2011
Devilsayshi said:

Edit: I don't know what I did wrong but the image doesn't show, it was just Tuka sleeping with Itami from a printscreen link.

I may be wrong so one may correct me, however I believe back in the days sleeping naked is quite normal for lower to med class. It's actually a good thing as back then, as the beds are laced with bed bugs, therefore when you wake up, you can inspect your body for any flea, lice etc. Not to mention, the people then normally only have one or two sets of cloths to wear, which makes sleeping in with your daily cloths being dirty, uncomfortable and filthy. Having pajamas and or undergarments were for the elites/privileged.

Edit: Of course, this wouldn't speak for everyone during that time period. You may find this article/blog interesting too about sleeping in the middle ages ages. http://www.historyundressed.com/2008/04/curling-up-with-ratssleeping.html (again, this would not speak for all nation/cultures)

I would presume Tuka sleeps by herself naked. Itami just happens to be with her this time; and she has many types of affections going on during her crisis.
NIM7Jan 27, 2016 8:53 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2016 12:41 PM

Nov 2012
NIM7 said:
Devilsayshi said:

I may be wrong so one may correct me, however I believe back in the days sleeping naked is quite normal for lower to med class. It's actually a good thing as back then, as the beds are laced with bed bugs, therefore when you wake up, you can inspect your body for any flea, lice etc. Not to mention, the people then normally only have one or two sets of cloths to wear, which makes sleeping in with your daily cloths being dirty, uncomfortable and filthy. Having pajamas and or undergarments were for the elites/privileged.

Edit: Of course, this wouldn't speak for everyone during that time period. You may find this article/blog interesting too about sleeping in the middle ages ages. http://www.historyundressed.com/2008/04/curling-up-with-ratssleeping.html (again, this would not speak for all nation/cultures)

I would presume Tuka sleeps by herself naked. Itami just happens to be with her this time; and she has many types of affections going on during her crisis.

Thanks for the interesting reply:) My remark though was more on her sleeping naked with her ''father'' and not just the fact she sleeps like that
Jan 28, 2016 1:11 PM
Oct 2012
Devilsayshi said:
Thanks for the interesting reply:) My remark though was more on her sleeping naked with her ''father'' and not just the fact she sleeps like that

Why?

Leilei mentioned that she used to bathe in streams and never thought that the males were trying to spy on her. Tuka likewised mentioned how superior the camps were compared to her forest town. To such people being naked was typical, there was no social phobia against it. To see naked people literally was no big deal (in Japan women used to work in fields bare breasted). It has only been relatively recently that a sense of "propriety" has arisen.

Also, remember that there are no police or guards in either place. She slept with her father for protection, and she slept naked because it was easier and cleaner. In her culture no one cared, it was commonplace.

Another historical factor is that clothing could get damp, and with no means to dry them sleeping in cold weather with them on would cause heat loss. Sleeping with someone naked was, ironically, a better way of staying warm. That happened a lot in the frontier, Lincoln used to sleep naked with a law partner when they were riding the circuit. Illinois being a pretty cold place during winter.
Jan 29, 2016 8:34 AM

Jul 2011
Devilsayshi said:
NIM7 said:

This could be a one time off thing as she could also be having affection towards Itami himself. Remember that she has her own bed and spare one just for her father, meaning she dose not normally sleep with him in one bed. In the manga; it shows what looks like her sneaking into Itami's bed. Nether or less, Tuka seeing that her "father" is back and alive, who would not want to be with their "returned father" close to them in at all times and conditions. Just so happen to be sleeping naked is her habit. I answer this without spoilers, Tuka has mixed feelings and all over the place. During this ep she is not accepting the truth, it's not the fact that she dose not know (or at least will not factuate the worst case scenario), rather unable to accept. :)
Jan 29, 2016 4:10 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, Tuka needs to be hit in the head with a shovel.

Off to slay the dragon... apparently.
Jan 30, 2016 10:22 AM

Jun 2014
Itami is the best daddy dom, somebody kinkshame Tuka please
Jan 31, 2016 2:31 PM
Apr 2014
Fuck that. Itami really shouldn't go for the dragon. Just tell Tuka the truth and make her live with it and the other bitch elf, too. She can't just expect other people to risk their lives for non-existent reasons(who cares if another village dies? They have more urgent stuff to do right now. Saving villages can come after that). And the way she handled the rejection is the worst. What if Itami wouldn't have taken the bait and did it the way he should have anyway?

I really hope he discards are ASAP but considering the way this went up until now she will be a permanent addition -.-
NanashiJan 31, 2016 2:35 PM
Feb 1, 2016 7:37 AM

Jul 2008
Alright! we have a dragon to kill :D

Looks like the empire and japan are going to war soon and Pina is gonna be framed for it.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Season 3? ( 1 2 )

AshAkinola - Mar 25, 2016

57 by DaThorAkilia »»
May 22, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2016

136 by Jagermeister-kun »»
Mar 25, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

231 by Estefan »»
Jan 17, 7:42 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

333 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 6, 2023 7:14 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

190 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.