Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »
Oct 29, 2015 11:19 AM

Aug 2015
TheVictor9634 said:
Romantic declarationin the chapter 4? This anime is breaking"the rules"and I like it
It would only be breaking the rules if this was a harem anime.
Oct 29, 2015 11:39 AM
Apr 2015
Mentar said:
frenze12 said:
Offcourse i saw that scene to and would understand the reason.

If that was the case, why were you attributing something extremely oblivious and shallow to the attraction between Ikki and Stella? Why did you misrepresent?

It's just not enough to start crushing over it.

Nobody asks you to "crush" over it. But if you implicitly berate the show for being trivial and simple, and then give an extremely trivial, simple and _false_ representation, this is a peculiar mix. It rather suggests to me that your own judgment is oblivious and faulty.

But as usual such devellopments are helped out by the typical otaku pandering because naivity beats realism afterall.

It is _your_ fault for being unable to pick it up. Like I said, your criticism of triviality and your own ability to analyze are at odds.

Because the meaning behind it matters little when you think about it. Our heroine still fell in love after the mc beat her.

So you are trying to attack the person instead of admitting that the actual core concept and representation is still the same old stuff that would fit right into place in any harem antic related show? Whatever floats your boat i guess.
frenze12Oct 29, 2015 11:50 AM
Oct 29, 2015 12:57 PM

Jun 2015
FlameSpeedster said:
TheVictor9634 said:
Romantic declarationin the chapter 4? This anime is breaking"the rules"and I like it
It would only be breaking the rules if this was a harem anime.

No... then it would be a harem. It "broke the rules" because it started out like a harem, and then accomplished something rarely seen from what was initially a harem. It also broke the rules because the action-fantasy genre rarely does romantic pairings and usually sticks to harem.

frenze12 said:
Because the meaning behind it matters little when you think about it. Our heroine still fell in love after the mc beat her.

So you are trying to attack the person instead of admitting that the actual core concept and representation is still the same old stuff that would fit right into place in any harem antic related show? Whatever floats your boat i guess.

The meaning behind it matters differently to any given individual. The story setup is certainly generic, but the execution of it will be interpreted very differently based on personal experiences.

Kind of like how some people wanted the confession to end in a full blown lip lock and many, such as myself, prefer the peck on the cheek route the show actually went.

Calling it empty/typical otaku pandering is far too simplistic of a claim, because for many people such a relationship is relatable. Some people may view it as simplistic based on their own romantic experiences, but it is insulting to pretend other people's experiences are shallow and devoid of meaning.

It's like the same tired old argument of claiming "generic = bad". Let's stop trying to assign moral descriptors to amoral ideas.
Oct 29, 2015 1:14 PM

Oct 2014
frenze12 said:

And what makes that bad? Aside from it not fitting your own personal tastes of course... and please don't even think of bringing up "originality" when it comes to "falling in love". If anything the more original it is done, the more unrealistic it actually is...

Unless of course, you want to claim that you know better how love "works" than the others in this forum. If that really is the case, then there is no point in further debating about this.

RealityRush said:
It's like the same tired old argument of claiming "generic = bad". Let's stop trying to assign moral descriptors to amoral ideas.

People should stop using the word "generic" altogether. In the end it's only a very exaggerated way to say "so unoriginal that you could generate it with a computer program", i.e. it's a buzzword.

However as far as I can see it, the word "generic" is currently being more used to describe a setting that is extremely predictable as well as having characters that strictly follow a pattern (even with this more concrete definition "generic" is still a buzzword because its definition is often warped to fit one's own arguments).

As for Rakudai, the confession in this episode was definitly not predictable. The characters also don't follow any "pattern". If anything this series is a "bait-and-switch series" (in a positive way). It pretends to be a harem at the beginning with all the usual so-called "generic elements" only to surprise the audience with the fact that there is actually substance in most characters and their interactions.
Grey-ZoneOct 29, 2015 1:27 PM
Oct 29, 2015 1:53 PM

Dec 2013
Personally, I don't understand the hype behind this episode. The dynamic between our two leads is refreshingly original for ecchi/harem, but the better part of that final duel - not to mention Shizuya's interminable rodomontade - was borderline cringe-worthy. Idk, maybe I'm just sick of these corny intra-battle dialogues. Stella's 'motivational speech/screaming at Ikki, while he lay in a pool of blood, seemed all too nauseatingly reminiscent of The Matrix's ending, which didn't help either. What's saving this series for me is an MC that isn't a gynophobic pussy and romance that's actually going somewhere.

Since there's been a lot of comparison to Asterisk, I'd say both are fun romps but so far I'm liking Asterisk's music significantly more.
Oct 29, 2015 2:43 PM

Jun 2015
Gymkata said:
Personally, I don't understand the hype behind this episode. The dynamic between our two leads is refreshingly original for ecchi/harem, but the better part of that final duel - not to mention Shizuya's interminable rodomontade - was borderline cringe-worthy. Idk, maybe I'm just sick of these corny intra-battle dialogues. Stella's 'motivational speech/screaming at Ikki, while he lay in a pool of blood, seemed all too nauseatingly reminiscent of The Matrix's ending, which didn't help either. What's saving this series for me is an MC that isn't a gynophobic pussy and romance that's actually going somewhere.

Wait... what? How is Stella's speech in any way like the Matrix ending? We're talking the original right, not Revo? Trinity kissed a literally dead Neo to "resurrect" him after professing her love. Stella told Ikki to man the fuck up because he's better than what everyone else says. Those are two vastly different messages. Not to mention the obvious of Stella literally screaming it at Ikki in a crowd and Trinity whispering to only Neo.... or we talking Revolutions ending... which was basically the same thing in reverse.

I think you just don't like battle dialogue anymore, man, lol. Though if that's the case, I don't see how you didn't despise the fight in Asterisk's Ep 4 where the intra-battle dialogue was so awkward and illogical it made me cringe. "I'm going to kill you quickly, but by quickly I mean I'll waste ages talking so your lover-boy can show up in time to stop me and then I'll allow you two to have a lovely chat just 1 floor above me for like 5 minutes while I brood on my luck!"
Oct 29, 2015 2:44 PM
Apr 2015
Grey-Zone said:
frenze12 said:

And what makes that bad? Aside from it not fitting your own personal tastes of course... and please don't even think of bringing up "originality" when it comes to "falling in love". If anything the more original it is done, the more unrealistic it actually is...

Unless of course, you want to claim that you know better how love "works" than the others in this forum. If that really is the case, then there is no point in further debating about this.

RealityRush said:

People should stop using the word "generic" altogether. In the end it's only a very exaggerated way to say "so unoriginal that you could generate it with a computer program", i.e. it's a buzzword.

However as far as I can see it, the word "generic" is currently being more used to describe a setting that is extremely predictable as well as having characters that strictly follow a pattern (even with this more concrete definition "generic" is still a buzzword because its definition is often warped to fit one's own arguments).

As for Rakudai, the confession in this episode was definitly not predictable. The characters also don't follow any "pattern". If anything this series is a "bait-and-switch series" (in a positive way). It pretends to be a harem at the beginning with all the usual so-called "generic elements" only to surprise the audience with the fact that there is actually substance in most characters and their interactions.

Not even once have i called this series bad. These are words you people tried to put into my mounth for no reason. (it's actually not bad for a shounen if it keeps going like this) But when you are calling such a thing a "realistic" good devellopment outside it's genre...

I only said that the base concept and representation of females is still the same like any other series in it's genre. And that's it.

Yet people act as if this is something revolutionary new that's worth it's weight in gold or something because it shows some above average character developments.
frenze12Oct 29, 2015 2:49 PM
Oct 29, 2015 2:45 PM

Oct 2014
RealityRush said:
No... then it would be a harem. It "broke the rules" because it started out like a harem, and then accomplished something rarely seen from what was initially a harem. It also broke the rules because the action-fantasy genre rarely does romantic pairings and usually sticks to harem.

It's actually not THAT rare, however at most it would be a confessions and maaaaybe a kiss at the last episode.
Oct 29, 2015 2:48 PM

Jun 2015
frenze12 said:
Not even once have i called this series bad. These are words you people tried to put into my mounth for no reason. (it's actually not bad for a shounen if it keeps going like this)

I only said that the base concept and representation of females is still the same like any other series in it's genre. And that's it.

That's good because not once did I accuse you specifically of doing so ;P

frenze12 said:
Yet people act as if this is something revolutionary new that's worth it's weight in gold or something because it shows some above average character developments.

Er, considering the shear amount of anime that gets pumped out that is merely average, most people would consider being above average quite praise-worthy these days, I know I would. Maybe that is a sad commentary on the state of anime, but having a committed relationship 4 episodes in in the action-fantasy genre certainly is rare as hell and quite noteworthy.
Oct 29, 2015 3:03 PM

Oct 2014
frenze12 said:
Not even once have i called this series bad. These are words you people tried to put into my mounth for no reason. (it's actually not bad for a shounen if it keeps going like this)

Taking aside that it's not a shounen (let's not start this discussion here), very well, I'll consider this from now on when replying to you.

frenze12 said:

"any other series" would not only have Stella make the confession scene extremely awkward, but Shizuku would also "jump in" and prevent either the confession or the kiss and start a "catfight" with Stella, destroying the complete atmosphere. But what actually happened is Ikki and Stella acting like (IMO quite realistic) young, inexperienced in love, healthy teenagers. Shizuku actually stays true to her claim to "do the best for her brother", so she let the person who stood up for him have alone time with him. Also, Alice seems to be quite the unique character. It's neither the usual "trap", not the usual overexaggerated "transgender person", but instead a "chill" person who one can talk to easily. Considering this, can you still say with confidence that it really is the same "base concept? It's only the same "base concept" on a very, VERY superficial level, as I see it.

And while I agree that looking at all anime there are, the early romance development isn't that special, however among the "magic highschool" genre, it definitly is. And that's what people talk about here. Not as an anime in general, but as a "magic highschool" anime it IS indeed quite unique.
Oct 29, 2015 3:04 PM

Dec 2013
RealityRush said:
Gymkata said:

Wait... what? How is Stella's speech in any way like the Matrix ending? We're talking the original right, not Revo? Trinity kissed a literally dead Neo to "resurrect" him after professing her love. Stella told Ikki to man the fuck up because he's better than what everyone else says. Those are two vastly different messages. Not to mention the obvious of Stella literally screaming it at Ikki in a crowd and Trinity whispering to only Neo.... or we talking Revolutions ending... which was basically the same thing in reverse.

I think you just don't like battle dialogue anymore, man, lol. Though if that's the case, I don't see how you didn't despise the fight in Asterisk's Ep 4 where the intra-battle dialogue was so awkward and illogical it made me cringe. "I'm going to kill you quickly, but by quickly I mean I'll waste ages talking so your lover-boy can show up in time to stop me and then I'll allow you two to have a lovely chat just 1 floor above me for like 5 minutes while I brood on my luck!"

The messages may have been different but the effect was the same - cheesy. Sorry.

Asterisk is no better, but I never said it was.
Oct 29, 2015 3:37 PM
Apr 2015
Grey-Zone said:

frenze12 said:

"any other series" would not only have Stella make the confession scene extremely awkward, but Shizuku would also "jump in" and prevent either the confession or the kiss and start a "catfight" with Stella, destroying the complete atmosphere. But what actually happened is Ikki and Stella acting like (IMO quite realistic) young, inexperienced in love, healthy teenagers. Shizuku actually stays true to her claim to "do the best for her brother", so she let the person who stood up for him have alone time with him. Also, Alice seems to be quite the unique character. It's neither the usual "trap", not the usual overexaggerated "transgender person", but instead a "chill" person who one can talk to easily. Considering this, can you still say with confidence that it really is the same "base concept? It's only the same "base concept" on a very, VERY superficial level, as I see it.

And while I agree that looking at all anime there are, the early romance development isn't that special, however among the "magic highschool" genre, it definitly is. And that's what people talk about here. Not as an anime in general, but as a "magic highschool" anime it IS indeed quite unique.

You see now you are talking more about the execution rather than the base concept. It's character devellopment that saved Stella's confession. Which is like i said above average for it's genre. If Shizuku had more of a "bitch" like personalty what were the chances of this happening?

And as far as general representation of females goes, those "ecchi" scenes or like how the the female news reporter grabs mc hand between her breasts in ep 2 are quite spot on. (ps have you seen that ending of each episode with the female cast being naked covered in roses, really smooth there)

although i admit that Alice is pretty much my favourite character in this show. Best girl so far.
frenze12Oct 29, 2015 4:12 PM
Oct 29, 2015 4:23 PM

Jun 2015
Gymkata said:
The messages may have been different but the effect was the same - cheesy. Sorry.

I mean, if that's how you feel, so be it, but you're limiting your viewing material a lot if the occasional cheesy, endearing speech gets to you. That seems a rather cynical and boring outlook on life ;P

That's why I like Rakudai, it may be clichéd and generic, or any number of other synonyms you wish to use, but it is just so damn fun and melts your heart at times. I can't imagine ever tiring of that.

frenze12 said:
You see now you are talking more about the execution rather than the base concept. It's character devellopment that saved Stella's confession. Which is like i said above average for it's genre. If Shizuku had more of a "bitch" like personalty what were the chances of this happening?

And as far as general representation of females goes, those "ecchi" scenes or like how the the female news reporter grabs mc hand between her breasts in ep 2 are quite spot on. (ps have you seen that ending of each episode with the female cast being naked covered in roses, really smooth there)

although i admit that Alice is pretty much my favourite character in this show. Best girl so far.

Alice is pretty awesome. But I don't understand, what is your point here? That Rakudai is based on a very traditional archetype in this genre? I mean, I don't think anyone here is disagreeing with you. People are just appreciate the spin Rakudai is putting on it to try and at least make it a little bit its own. Rakudai is standing on the shoulders of giants and trying to look further past the horizon, like so many before it. Is there a problem with that?
Oct 29, 2015 6:35 PM

Dec 2014
Aww, they became an item.

Awesome episode.
Oct 29, 2015 7:37 PM

Jul 2015
I cringed when she cheered him on, but I was definitely shipping that at the end.
Oct 29, 2015 11:41 PM

Aug 2013
Lel a confession scene and everyone reacted on it like the second coming of jesus
Oct 30, 2015 1:50 AM
Aug 2014
Rakudai Kishi No Cavalry has really impressed me so far. Yes, the concept of this series is pretty generic but that doesn't mean it is necessarily bad. The way they executed it was pretty great.

The things I Loved about this episode
------------------------------------------------
1. The Main MC actually got nervous because if he had lost this match, he would have lost his chance of graduation . Nice to see an MC with actual emotions.

2. He messed up his chance of winning the fight from the start because he was nervous. Once again, pretty realistic. He tried to go with the safe route of figuring out Kirihara's attack pattern which backfired on him. He didn't think about the fact that Kirihara may have improved over the year. Being nervous makes you do a lot of stupid things. Speaking from experience here.

3. Alice, who is biologically male and considers himself as a female (from my understanding) is not portrayed too over the top. They made him/her a pretty chill and caring character. Great to see.

4. Shizuku did not mess up the confession. She did not ruin that amazing moment between Ikki and Stella. She stayed out of their way in order to give them privacy.

5. Ikki actually confessed to Stella in the 4th damn episode...best MC of this season. I'm also glad that he said 'like' instead of 'love'. If he had said 'love' it would not have made it as realistic as it was. It was also great to see the Tsundere admit that she kissed him on the cheek because she WANTED to. (Nice to see it was a kiss on the cheek rather than on the lips. It would've been too quick for a kiss on the lips. Their relationship should develop more for that.) That made me so damn happy. Stella is 70% dere and 30% Tsun. I love that.

6. It was understandable how Ikki survived Kirihara's attacks. Kirihara has low attack stat and Ikki has high physical stat. Ikki was hit in non-vital places except for the organ shot. He wasn't constantly bleeding out. He used 'Itto Shura' which got rid of all his physical limitations and boosted his physical attributes.

7. The fight scenes were pretty damn epic too. Loved it.

I have 2 complains with this episode
----------------------------------------------
1. I didn't like the fact that Ikki just stood up like nothing happened after Stella encouraged him on. I would have liked to see what he was thinking about when he heard Stella cheer for him. I would have liked to see how it motivated him. This was just like ''Stella is cheering for me..well..gotta be badass now.'' .

2. Is every single kid in that school an asshole? I mean..why would you even cheer on Kirihara when you can plainly see what type of a guy he is. I wouldn't have minded if it was 'x' number of people that cheered Kirihara...this looked like the whole school was against Ikki (excluding the main 3 other than Ikki.) .
TyphoonSOct 30, 2015 7:21 AM
Oct 30, 2015 3:57 AM

Jan 2014
2. He messed up his chance of winning the fight from the start because he was nervous. Once again, pretty realistic. He tried to go with the safe route of figuring out Kirihara's attack pattern which backfired on him. He didn't think about the fact that Kirihara may have improved over the year. Being nervous makes you do a lot of stupid things. Speaking from experience here.
Many people missed that detail and complained about Ikki's not having a plan...Good job pointing that out...
Oct 30, 2015 4:29 AM
Apr 2015
TyphoonS said:

2. Is every single kid in that school an asshole? I mean..why would you even cheer on Kirihara when you can plainly see what type of a guy he is. I wouldn't have minded if it was 'x' number of people that cheered Kirihara...this looked like the whole school was against Ikki (excluding the main 3 other than Ikki.) .

2 possible explanations:

a) Only main characters (or relevant important people) are allowed to have any decent personality to clearly make them stand out above the rest in this type of genre. Makes it easier to root for the mc.

b) This school was previously run by a staff which solo reason was to make mc not graduate and generally to flunk his reputation. That influence also includes things like rumors or attracting "bad" people/students that are more than happy to help the staff out. And offcourse peer presure is quite a serious thing here. But then again going as far for rooting someone to die is just morally wrong though...

or a combination of a and b.
Oct 30, 2015 6:10 AM

Dec 2014
TyphoonS said:

1. I didn't like the fact that Ikki just stood up like nothing happened after Stella encouraged him on. I would have liked to see what he was thinking about when he heard Stella cheer for him. I would have liked to see how it motivated him. This was just like ''Stella is cheering for me..well..gotta be badass now.'' .

Most people thought Ikki was seriously badly hurt, but the reason Ikki didn't stand up was because he was literally feeling hopeless(he can't find a possibility for victory even though he thought he absolutely cannot lose no matter what because then all his hardwork would mean nothing), and didn't even want to bother anymore, and the when Stella delivered her message, Ikki finally understood that there's no way it had no meaning even if he loses because arguably the most talented person in this whole academy is saying that she likes the path he walked.

Ikki only started going all out after that.
Oct 30, 2015 7:19 AM
Aug 2014
GradationAir said:
TyphoonS said:

Most people thought Ikki was seriously badly hurt, but the reason Ikki didn't stand up was because he was literally feeling hopeless(he can't find a possibility for victory even though he thought he absolutely cannot lose no matter what because then all his hardwork would mean nothing), and didn't even want to bother anymore, and the when Stella delivered her message, Ikki finally understood that there's no way it had no meaning even if he loses because arguably the most talented person in this whole academy is saying that she likes the path he walked.

Ikki only started going all out after that.

Hmm..that's good. However, the point is that you had to tell me this. They didn't showcase what he was feeling when he was lying on the ground. Just one of my two complains in this episode.
However, still doesn't change the fact that this was an amazing (almost perfect) episode . It kept me excited throughout and l loved the build up to the fight and the fight itself. Well, I already mentioned what I liked about this episode in my previous comment. No point saying it again.
Oct 30, 2015 7:29 AM

Dec 2014
TyphoonS said:

Hmm..that's good. However, the point is that you had to tell me this. They didn't showcase what he was feeling when he was lying on the ground. Just one of my two complains in this episode.

Well, it definitely could've been better, but I think the message is fairly clear that he wasn't that badly wounded when he had the energy to stand up like that and punch himself. At least it wasn't UBW adaptation.
Oct 30, 2015 7:30 AM

Jun 2015
TyphoonS said:

They did show it. They showed his face being all gloomy and dark, they showed him on his knees. That is showing an emotion. They even told the audience via Kirihara taunting him saying he'd given up. I mean, it was pretty clear what was going on. Cheesy and cliched, but quite clear.
Oct 30, 2015 7:38 AM
Aug 2014
RealityRush said:
TyphoonS said:

They did show it. They showed his face being all gloomy and dark, they showed him on his knees. That is showing an emotion. They even told the audience via Kirihara taunting him saying he'd given up. I mean, it was pretty clear what was going on. Cheesy and cliched, but quite clear.

True, true. I just would've preferred if they showed what he was thinking. I would've loved to see what he was thinking about when Stella cheered for him. I understood that he was feeling hopeless (Obvious from his facial expressions.) What I wanted to see was what his mind was going through as Stella gave him the pep talk. It also would've been much easier to convince people that he had gone through development instead of simple ''power up'' as some people think.
Although you could've understood that there was actual development if you paid attention.
Oct 30, 2015 7:56 AM
Jun 2014
Let's just hope their relationship doesn't enter status quo now and focus on endless action. While action is great of course, many series tend to forget or downplay the romance later on.
Oct 30, 2015 8:02 AM

Jun 2015
TyphoonS said:
It also would've been much easier to convince people that he had gone through development instead of simple ''power up'' as some people think.
Although you could've understood that there was actual development if you paid attention.

Well, I mean, it was a power-up of sorts. But they already showed us in episode 3 (probably on purpose) that his abilities basically allow him to ignore physical pain/damage and enhance the parts of his body he specifically needs at the cost of others. The show demonstrated already that what he did was possible, it just nearly killed him to do so. People that claim it's a Deus ex Machina are ignorant though, as the show provided justification, no matter how thinly.

I also personally wouldn't see the benefit of portraying his internal monologue during it. Stella's showed us something, a realization on her part; Ikki's wouldn't show us anything we didn't already know. He was super nervous and terrified of failing, Alice already made that clear. Stella just allowed him to realize he was worth it, and I thought that was better presented through her words.

To each his own though, I guess. Some people like things spelled out more than others, and there's nothing wrong with that. I prefer it when shows let my imagination fill in details.
Oct 30, 2015 8:16 AM
Dec 2011
Stormen said:
Let's just hope their relationship doesn't enter status quo now and focus on endless action. While action is great of course, many series tend to forget or downplay the romance later on.

Don't worry about it. Just wait for the 6th episode and the episodes from the 3rd arc. You'll see the romance gets stronger.
Oct 30, 2015 8:19 AM
Aug 2014
RealityRush said:
TyphoonS said:
It also would've been much easier to convince people that he had gone through development instead of simple ''power up'' as some people think.

Well, I mean, it was a power-up of sorts. But they already showed us in episode 3 (probably on purpose) that his abilities basically allow him to ignore physical pain/damage and enhance the parts of his body he specifically needs at the cost of others. The show demonstrated already that what he did was possible, it just nearly killed him to do so. People that claim it's a Deus ex Machina are ignorant though, as the show provided justification, no matter how thinly.

I also personally wouldn't see the benefit of portraying his internal monologue during it. Stella's showed us something, a realization on her part; Ikki's wouldn't show us anything we didn't already know. He was super nervous and terrified of failing, Alice already made that clear. Stella just allowed him to realize he was worth it, and I thought that was better presented through her words.

To each his own though, I guess. Some people like things spelled out more than others, and there's nothing wrong with that. I prefer it when shows let my
imagination fill in details.

I wouldn't state that as a ''power up'' though. It was something that was already showcased. That is not a power up in my opinion. That is just him bringing out an ability that he already had. I guess I should've phrased it better though.
I too prefer not having everything spelt out. (One of the reasons why Oregairu is my favourite LN) I'm just saying that I would've liked to see his thoughts and I also like having conformation on some stuff.
TyphoonSOct 30, 2015 8:25 AM
Oct 30, 2015 8:27 AM

Jul 2015
AP24 said:
Stormen said:

Don't worry about it. Just wait for the 6th episode and the episodes from the 3rd arc. You'll see the romance gets stronger.
Next ep will probably have something if I'm counting the chapters right.

Not strong as the 6th ep but whatever...
Oct 30, 2015 9:33 AM

Jun 2015
[size=90]Haha that was amazing
Alice is sucha great friend, he even hugged the little sister
Stella stood up for Ikki during the fight, love that side of her >////<
She's like a tsundere... but not really?
And they finally confessed to each other! <3

Oct 30, 2015 10:17 AM

Aug 2013
Ahh, I definitely loved this episode! It was amazing! :D I'm enjoying this anime so far. Ikki and Stella look great together. :") The confession scene at the end is A++
Looking forward to episode 5~
Oct 30, 2015 10:17 AM

Jul 2007
GradationAir said:
TyphoonS said:

Well, it definitely could've been better, but I think the message is fairly clear that he wasn't that badly wounded when he had the energy to stand up like that and punch himself.At least it wasn't UBW adaptation.

^This

Majority of that stuff could be understood via context in this show.

I thought it was quite clear that he went "What the fuck is the point?" when people were chanting "worst one". Not only he has underestimated his opponent, but seemingly nothing changed from the last year.

Ikki is doing it to prove a point, so what is the point of doing anything if literally everyone around you thinks you do not deserve it.

You don't need a monologue for that.
Oct 30, 2015 11:14 AM

Jun 2015
CookingPriest said:
I thought it was quite clear that he went "What the fuck is the point?" when people were chanting "worst one". Not only he has underestimated his opponent, but seemingly nothing changed from the last year.

Ikki is doing it to prove a point, so what is the point of doing anything if literally everyone around you thinks you do not deserve it.

You don't need a monologue for that.

Spot on. I think this show handles context quite well for a cheeseball ecchi.
Oct 30, 2015 3:04 PM

Apr 2012
Haha man this show is amuzingly shit. MC gets up from having lost half the volume of his blood from the power of love and turns into a clayrvoyant god for a short time to rek generic asshole villain. Gold. Absolute gold. This is like watching B-movies, its awful but in an amuzing way. Much better than Asterisk which is also awful but plain boring.

Also all the people claiming this is not an harem, wait and see what happens from now on. Does MCs Sister or other girls still throw themselves on the MC like before despite knowing he is now in a relationship? If yes its a harem, confession with a lame kiss on the cheek (i've kissed people on the cheek as a greeting before, lol) mean nothing.
Oct 30, 2015 3:11 PM

Jan 2009
frenze12 said:

Allow me to let you in on a secret. If you watch Gundam episodes carefully, you will notice lots of people shooting at each other. If you watch a shoujo romance, you will notice that the male leads are beautiful. If you watch yaoi, the lead characters tend to be guys liking each other. Mysterious coincidence, isn't it? It also means that if you find the idea of guys having homosexual interests disagreeable, you should steer clear of yaoi anime.

Now does that mean that every anime that has people shooting at each other is a Gundam episode? Obviously not. Does this mean that Rakudai, which does have certain elements which can also be found in harem animes, is a harem? Obviously not either, and after ep4, it would only be a sign of an oblivious viewer not to realize this.

I haven't seen a single Rakudai fan claim that the show was a revolutionary groundbreaking super-original piece of art. Not one. It has a standard swords+magic highschool background with a standard tournament main story line and has an ecchi tilt with many typical tropes that come with it. The show is also very open about this, so if for some reason this setting disagrees with you, why the hell are you still here? And why would the show have to apologize for this as if it was doing anything wrong? I would feel like a _fool_ if I went into the forums of a Yaoi anime and posted "Yech, in the end it's only about gays after all!". It boggles my mind how many people still do the same in here.

The reason why I really love this show is that I don't dislike this background, and that Rakudai does something _extremely_ uncommon: It offers good, smart and determined characters and a very quick and natural romance development between the leads. This is almost the exact opposite of iron "ecchi" rules and extremely refreshing for people like me. THIS is the original part of the show that several people mentioned. A very specialized niche player for fans, which 90% of the viewers seem to like, or like a lot! Good.
MentarOct 30, 2015 3:15 PM
Oct 30, 2015 3:15 PM

Dec 2012
Alright I'm sold. I thought this was going to be one of my least favorite choices this season, but this episode did it. Stella's encouragement, Ikki and Alice's confessions. It was all spot on. I also really like how they're handling Alice, giving layers to what's normally played off as a goofy caricature in anime.
Oct 30, 2015 3:28 PM

Apr 2012
Mentar said:
frenze12 said:

Allow me to let you in on a secret. If you watch Gundam episodes carefully, you will notice lots of people shooting at each other. If you watch a shoujo romance, you will notice that the male leads are beautiful. If you watch yaoi, the lead characters tend to be guys liking each other. Mysterious coincidence, isn't it? It also means that if you find the idea of guys having homosexual interests disagreeable, you should steer clear of yaoi anime.

And if you watch LN adaptations you will notice they are shit :D
Oct 30, 2015 3:32 PM

Jun 2015
baki502 said:
Also all the people claiming this is not an harem, wait and see what happens from now on. Does MCs Sister or other girls still throw themselves on the MC like before despite knowing he is now in a relationship? If yes its a harem, confession with a lame kiss on the cheek (i've kissed people on the cheek as a greeting before, lol) mean nothing.

Uhhh. So currently there's one girl committed to Ikki and another who is just interested in him being happy and has broken off her chase.... so, you think 1 interested female party is a harem? That's an optimistic look at one's sex life I guess ;P

Second...... you think two people in a vulnerable moment that have been affectionate towards one another admitting they both "like each other" and the female kissing the male tenderly on the cheek isn't a clear indication of a relationship starting? What world do you live in where that's just what friends do? You must be missing out on a lot of signals O.o
Oct 30, 2015 5:26 PM

Apr 2012
RealityRush said:
baki502 said:

Uhhh. So currently there's one girl committed to Ikki and another who is just interested in him being happy and has broken off her chase.... so, you think 1 interested female party is a harem? That's an optimistic look at one's sex life I guess ;P

Second...... you think two people in a vulnerable moment that have been affectionate towards one another admitting they both "like each other" and the female kissing the male tenderly on the cheek isn't a clear indication of a relationship starting? What world do you live in where that's just what friends do? You must be missing out on a lot of signals O.o

There was also that loli teacher or smth who clearly hit on him. And lets wait and see if those other 2 girls that are on the poster wont have the hots for him either.

As for the cheek kiss, that alone would be no indication for a relationship to start at all, the confession is. I was criticizing how ridiculous the kiss on the cheek is. Its typicall anime, ridiculously chaste and "pure", despite having fanservice on the other hand. One should understand the japanese. Holding hands and indirect kisses 2 lewd but fanservice ok.

And also lets see if their relationship will show. Or its another one of theese "we are a couple now but nothing actually changes" relationships anime likes to make.
Oct 30, 2015 6:11 PM

Mar 2012
baki502 said:
RealityRush said:

There was also that loli teacher or smth who clearly hit on him. And lets wait and see if those other 2 girls that are on the poster wont have the hots for him either.

As for the cheek kiss, that alone would be no indication for a relationship to start at all, the confession is. I was criticizing how ridiculous the kiss on the cheek is. Its typicall anime, ridiculously chaste and "pure", despite having fanservice on the other hand. One should understand the japanese. Holding hands and indirect kisses 2 lewd but fanservice ok.

And also lets see if their relationship will show. Or its another one of theese "we are a couple now but nothing actually changes" relationships anime likes to make.
This is character based anime. The character is what make the story advance not vice versa. Nothing will stuck and character will advance either in personal growth or relationship.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 30, 2015 7:06 PM

Dec 2014
baki502 said:
And if you watch LN adaptations you will notice they are shit :D

Fate/zero is shit.
Oct 30, 2015 8:13 PM
Dec 2011
Just saw the preview pics for Ep 5, the next big scene is actually happening in Ep 5 not 6!!
Oct 30, 2015 8:17 PM

Mar 2012
AP24 said:
Just saw the preview pics for Ep 5, the next big scene is actually happening in Ep 5 not 6!!
They swap it. For those who interest can go to my thread.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1439634
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 30, 2015 9:33 PM

Jun 2015
baki502 said:

The loli chick didn't really seem to be hitting on him out of genuine interest in him as much as she was teasing him and thought he was rather strong.

As for the cheek kiss.... it's all about context. In the context of that confession, it was very telling. Also, I'm Canadian, not Japanese, and I thought the kiss on the cheek was perfect. It isn't about being "chaste" and "pure", it's just a normal relationship progression. Not all relationships instantly turn into make-out sessions off the bat, some start out more innocent. There was nothing"wrong" with that scene.

As long as they progress with the relationship, I'm not too worried about it, neither should you be. We'll find out tomorrow I guess ;P
Oct 31, 2015 12:50 AM
Oct 2015
baki502 said:
It's actually related to Japanese culture regarding nudity & physical contact. Traditionally, Japanese doesn't mind nudity that much because of the public bath culture. Of course the place & occasion have roles in this. Being naked in the bath is proper & thus tolerated but being naked on the street is not.

And now about physical contact. Japanese people dislike physical contact with anyone they're not familiar with. This is why the traditional japanese way of greeting does not involve any form of physical contact. They simply bow and/or say the greeting. Nowadays, handshaking is an acceptable form of greeting but up till several decades ago, it was not. In short, Japan is a totally different place to wherever you live where kissing someone's cheek as a greeting is considered normal.
Oct 31, 2015 2:57 AM
Jun 2014
The kiss on the cheek thing was pretty lame to be honest. I'm a guy so i can't really say i know how girls think, but if i was her and i saw another girl (rival) kissing him on the mouth, i'd be gunning for no less than that as to not lose. I would expect her to think like that, but i guess the author wanted to save that moment for a later date.
Oct 31, 2015 4:54 AM

Apr 2012
Ryuutobi said:
It's actually related to Japanese culture regarding nudity & physical contact. Traditionally, Japanese doesn't mind nudity that much because of the public bath culture. Of course the place & occasion have roles in this. Being naked in the bath is proper & thus tolerated but being naked on the street is not.

And now about physical contact. Japanese people dislike physical contact with anyone they're not familiar with. This is why the traditional japanese way of greeting does not involve any form of physical contact. They simply bow and/or say the greeting. Nowadays, handshaking is an acceptable form of greeting but up till several decades ago, it was not. In short, Japan is a totally different place to wherever you live where kissing someone's cheek as a greeting is considered normal.

2 Problems: Stella isnt japanese and MCs sister kissed him on the mouth and she is japanese. So really its just the author being bad for being inconsistent and letting his cultural background influence his writing. Charakterization is poor and research is either lacking or he didnt even bother.
Oct 31, 2015 5:04 AM

Mar 2012
baki502 said:
Ryuutobi said:

2 Problems: Stella isnt japanese and MCs sister kissed him on the mouth and she is japanese. So really its just the author being bad for being inconsistent and letting his cultural background influence his writing. Charakterization is poor and research is either lacking or he didnt even bother.
This week episode (episode 5) will answer your question. Initially it should be the content for 6th episode but for some reason Silver Link swap it.
Oct 31, 2015 5:10 AM

Jan 2014
baki502 said:
Ryuutobi said:

Stop complaining just because things didnt go the way you wanted and just wait...Stella is not competing with anyone about the amount of kisses she got,she is doing what she wants and what she can...
Oct 31, 2015 5:22 AM
Apr 2015
Mentar said:

No i think a series that belittles females in any form (ecchi, eye candy, dumb, licks mc feets, etc) however slight it may be or portraits in a generic 'bad' way while somesort enjoyable is still a flaw. And not something that deserves high praise when their character devellopment shows some promise.

Mentar said:

Now does that mean that every anime that has people shooting at each other is a Gundam episode? Obviously not. Does this mean that Rakudai, which does have certain elements which can also be found in harem animes, is a harem? Obviously not either, and after ep4, it would only be a sign of an oblivious viewer not to realize this.

Bad example, Gundam is the name for a certain mecha so mecha is the theme here, and definitely not some humans shooting bullets at each other.

Mentar said:

I haven't seen a single Rakudai fan claim that the show was a revolutionary groundbreaking super-original piece of art. Not one.

Goes back to see the first post of this thread, sees alot of people rating the show 10/10 and complaining that the overal score is only 8.x while such "grand show" definitely deserves more . The guilty ones? Haters offcourse, because if you don't give this show a high score you must be hater. Where were you then?

Enjoying does not equal quality, yet some people here think otherwise. I enjoyed watching/reading DxD despite that the show has terrible flaws. If i tried to make a comment about it regardless wheter it was a good point or not on this forum i got burned like hell. And it's not 'that' much better here either. Bias much?

Mentar said:

....THIS is the original part of the show that several people mentioned. A very specialized niche player for fans, which 90% of the viewers seem to like, or like a lot! Good.

It's not THAT original though...

90% of the viewers?, maby in this forum but elsewhere? Have you read the manga comments? there where alot people burning it at those certain scenes you and others thought was SO original. want me to give a link?
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

482 by almightybismarck »»
Aug 4, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2015

341 by almightybismarck »»
Aug 4, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2015

210 by almightybismarck »»
Aug 3, 11:20 PM

Poll: » Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2015

224 by almightybismarck »»
Jul 27, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

191 by almightybismarck »»
Jul 26, 11:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.