Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 3, 2014 7:12 PM

Jan 2014
EarlAlois said:
gombo said:
to the people saying they download because it's free:

Are you saying that because it costs money for you to watch streaming or is it just another reason to add to the list? I can understand the higher quality/no internet argument but the free idea just isn't adding up to me

If you haven't noticed, I'm a streaming pleb

Why must you know the reasons why some of us download or stream for free?

knowledge is power. Nah but really the arguments seem to be for advantages of downloading over streaming but both streaming and downloading are free so I don't see the advantage to it. Or is it being free just more of a "why not" reason
Sep 3, 2014 7:12 PM

Jan 2008
EarlAlois said:
gombo said:

Are you saying that because it costs money for you to watch streaming or is it just another reason to add to the list? I can understand the higher quality/no internet argument but the free idea just isn't adding up to me

Why did anyone even bother to post in this thread?
Sep 3, 2014 7:16 PM
Jul 2018
Daimonji said:
Cuz.. No lag
This.
Villa-Lobos said:
I always delete the anime after I finish watching anyway. Unless it is 8/10 or higher.
This too. This way I don't need a big-ass HD for storage.
Sep 3, 2014 7:18 PM

Jun 2014
I only download anime that I really like that I don't mind watching over and over.
(ღ˘◡˘ღ) ♫
Sep 3, 2014 7:26 PM

Aug 2014
I only download anime movies, to me series aren't worth the time and space hassle, especially when I can just stream that ish.

Sep 3, 2014 7:27 PM

Jun 2014
Only reason to download is to watch elsewhere tbh, like if you're on a plane or some shit.
Otherwise stream til you cant stream no more bruh
Sep 3, 2014 7:45 PM

Apr 2014
cuz 1TB HD is super affordable now?
Sep 3, 2014 7:54 PM

Jan 2010
- Higher quality than streaming typically
- It's great if your internet is crap and it takes forever to buffer
- Can watch offline when traveling or something
- Quick access to personal library of your own favorites
- Probably other stuff I'm not thinking of
Sep 3, 2014 9:00 PM

Aug 2013
Hm.
The only time I'd ever download an anime is to watch it on my phone when on long trips.
Otherwise I stream.
It takes me like 30 seconds max to fully load the video when streaming (maybe it's just the site I use) and I don't care about quality as long as I can distinguish a girls head from her tits.
But that's just me. If I had worse internet connection I would definitely download it. But then I'd just end up deleting it afterwards since I rarely re-watch anime. Seems inconvenient. To each their own I guess.
Sep 4, 2014 12:03 AM

Jun 2007
Peinuzumaki95 said:
Why download? Because downloading gives you a superior experience. You download for quality purposes and last time I checked 1080p was always and will be better than 480p. I almost forgot 480p new anime exist LOL,this is not 2004......
There were still SD-broadcast and/or DVD-only anime into 2009 and 2010. 480p is not as far in the past as you might think.

RealMTL said:
Well #1 reason for me is for the higher quality and with shows like Fate/Zero and Aldnoah.Zero watching in higher quality makes me enjoy the show much more.
Same here, those extra details on wood grains and rock textures really make or break an anime experience.

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Sep 4, 2014 12:39 AM
Jul 2018
fst said:
So that I can anime when I have no internet.

^

I also like to re-watch some of my fave shows, so I DL them in 1080p and with better subs.
Sep 4, 2014 2:02 AM

Apr 2012
new1 said:
Why do some of you lot DL animes? Is there something wrong with streaming it or is it just peoples preferences.

Because streaming is low quality as fuck, and I'm not a shit-eater.
Sep 4, 2014 2:15 AM
Sep 2014
better quality, storage in case of apocalypse, watching on devices not connected to the internet, speeding up the video, easier to browse episodes for *that one scene*, do some misc. wizardry with the file, having dub, sub and raw all at once, arguably easier to keep track of what you're watching, choice of subs, feeling superior to people who stream because of these minor differences
Sep 4, 2014 3:44 AM

Jul 2014
deanzel said:
Red_Tuesday said:
Because I have 36TB of aggregate HDD space.

Psh. I've got 40TB on my NAS and 8TB for local backups. Noob.

And I assume, like me, you have parity (Raid 5, 6 or 10) to prevent data loss?

So in reality, twice the "space" of the usable space.
Sep 4, 2014 3:50 AM

Aug 2014
Like to se high quality. Only watch if there are 720 p. Sometimes i watch 480 for very old anime but only then. Then i like to save so i can watch it when i want. Then i Live in sweden so can download how much and fast i want and harddrive is cheap here too. So a episode 1080 p take 30 seconds to download. :P
Sep 4, 2014 9:01 AM

Jul 2012
They want to keep stuff in order to rewatch it.

Oddyeus said:
Because streaming is low quality as fuck

There is such thing as 1080p/720p streaming, you know.
Sep 4, 2014 9:14 AM

Jul 2014
mayukachan said:
They want to keep stuff in order to rewatch it.

Oddyeus said:
Because streaming is low quality as fuck

There is such thing as 1080p/720p streaming, you know.

Streams of those resolutions are still noticeably compressed. Either fuzzy or aliased, with ugly subtitles (often anyway) and peak-distorted low sample rate audio.
Sep 4, 2014 9:22 AM

Jul 2012
Red_Tuesday said:
Streams of those resolutions are still noticeably compressed. Either fuzzy or aliased, with ugly subtitles (often anyway) and peak-distorted low sample rate audio.

They're fine, imho. They're not compressed either. The 720p off that website is usually 200MB+ if you were to download it, which is the standard size too. I prefer fuzzy over too sharp.
Sep 4, 2014 9:42 AM

Sep 2013
Because nothing and I mean NOTHING will ever beat having what you want on a local storage. Do you know the restrictions of having something saved locally? Nothing, zero, zip, nada. Do you know the restrictions of depending entirely on streams? Just off the top of my head:
1) it can ALWAYS be taken down whether it be because of copyright shit or users getting banned from their hosting site; youre NEVER guaranteed that youll be able to find it again tomorrow.
2) you need internet to access it. Lately weve been experiencing a shit-ton of DDoS attacks across the web, what do you do when you either have no internet or have internet but your site is inaccessible? Youre shit-outta-luck, thats what you do.
3) it takes a hell of a lot less battery to play something from the microSD card than it does to stream anything on mobile devices, which really saves my ass when I go camping but have that urge to watch some anime out in the middle of nowhere.
Sep 4, 2014 9:45 AM

Apr 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
deanzel said:

Psh. I've got 40TB on my NAS and 8TB for local backups. Noob.

And I assume, like me, you have parity (Raid 5, 6 or 10) to prevent data loss?

So in reality, twice the "space" of the usable space.

Just RAID 5. If I could start over, I'd obviously go with RAID 6 for the 2 drive parity but that would require me having something to backup 38TB's of data on to...

I've got a 13 drive Synology NAS but what sucks is that the Volume somehow got corrupted so I can't further expand it by swapping in some 4TB drives for 3TB drives. Their customer support is awesome but even they can't fix it. That's why I'm using some external drives to store and media that I definitely won't use/watch but will not delete. The collecting of that data takes so much time and is a hobby in and of itself.
Sep 4, 2014 9:47 AM

Jul 2007
higher quality. Can put it on my tablet to watch when i don't have wifi. Always have access to my favorite anime from sub groups that i like. I have a problem with digital hoarding in general, games, movies, anime, tv.
Sep 4, 2014 11:13 AM

Oct 2009
Because hoarding is part of human nature, otherwise we wouldn't get past the stage of hunter gatherers.
People who uses streaming in a sense is hunter gatherers.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Sep 4, 2014 11:19 AM
Nov 2013
EarlAlois said:
gombo said:

I was just curious *hyouka* ^^ nah but its just i found it a bit weird cause downloading is like meh its a pain in the ass, I completely forgot people have different internet speeds depending on their region and what not, I always watch things 1080p or 720p when available, it loads like a dream, maybe I'm just blessed with good internet speed, now another question then how do i close a topic, I'm a complete forum noob
Jun 2013
ONE THERE IS NO ASSURITY OF MY NET LASTING LONG

PLUS I CAN WATCH ANIME EVEN WHEN I DONT HAVE NET

MY STREAMING SPEEDS ARE LOW EVEN 360P VIDEOS BUFFER A LOT

I HAVE MORE THAN 60 ANIME STORED IN MY HARD DISK BEGGING TO BE WATCHED ....SOME OF THEM WERE DOWNLOADED 3 YEARS AGO......YOU CAN CALL ME A COLLECTOR BUT ONLY OF THOSE I LIKE.....CURRENTLY 88 ANIME SERIES STORED IN HARD DISK ( 6 SEASONS OF MAJOR ARE COUNTED AS 1 ANIME ETC )
KaulDevaSep 4, 2014 11:22 AM

May 2010
theres many reasons, such as what when you want, where you want, how you want, maybe they have a lousy connection that can't be fixed without rewiring which can't be done due to cheap landlord(s) (my case), archival purposes, etc.
Sep 4, 2014 11:22 AM
Nov 2013
ashishkaull said:

I HAVE MORE THAN 60 ANIME STORED IN MY HARD DISK BEGGING TO BE WATCHED ....SOME OF THEM WERE DOWNLOADED 3 YEARS AGO......
ashishkaull said:

I HAVE MORE THAN 60 ANIME STORED IN MY HARD DISK BEGGING TO BE WATCHED ....SOME OF THEM WERE DOWNLOADED 3 YEARS AGO......

3yrs? wtf looool i get hesitant when I put off an anime for 3 months
Sep 4, 2014 11:23 AM
Jun 2013
new1 said:
ashishkaull said:

ashishkaull said:

YUP AND ITS CODE GEASS......I WONDER WHEN I AM GOING TO WATCH IT...
Sep 4, 2014 11:26 AM
Jun 2013
IRONY IS
I HAVE TOP 2 ANIME STORED IN MY HD
FMB AND SG FOR YEARS NOW

YET TO WATCH THEM......
Sep 4, 2014 11:28 AM

May 2013
When you download something you own it and no one can take it away from you.
Sep 4, 2014 11:31 AM
Jun 2013
RevolverSnake said:
When you download something you own it and no one can take it away from you.

YOSH..RIGHTLY SAID!!!
Sep 4, 2014 11:31 AM

Feb 2014
I download for better quality as well as for me to be able to watch it again without connecting to the internet
Sep 4, 2014 11:35 AM

May 2014
It's free
You don't have to live in the US
Better quality
You can have sub/dub at the same time
It's better if you have shitty internet.
Sep 4, 2014 11:58 AM
Nov 2013
ashishkaull said:
new1 said:

YUP AND ITS CODE GEASS......I WONDER WHEN I AM GOING TO WATCH IT...

CODE GEASS? HOLY MOTHER OF GOD DUDE DROP YOUR ENTIRE LIST AND WATCH IT, I'M WAITING FOR THE 3RD MOVIE ITS TAKING AGES :(
Sep 4, 2014 2:59 PM

Mar 2014
1080p is better than watching it on any anime site with their logo all over the place. I can also watch it on TV too.
Jun 18, 2022 1:08 PM

Apr 2015
sneed mal janitors my post was extremely on topic
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series)

Ebb1993 - Sep 22

39 by JaniSIr »»
2 minutes ago

» Have you ever struggled to rate a show?

Jackson1333 - 5 hours ago

19 by SimplyBrazen »»
17 minutes ago

» What Anime is boring to you

Kirika_Madeleine - Yesterday

46 by Dumb »»
19 minutes ago

» Misleading, out of context, or outright fake knowledge about various titles ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

54 by RobertBobert »»
20 minutes ago

» Do your waifu need an upgrade?

SgtBateMan - 2 hours ago

6 by KitsuFrost »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.