Forum Settings
Forums
New
Kantianism or Utilitarianism?
May 21, 2014 2:09 PM

Aug 2012
Kantianism: Your action is good or bad based on your intention. One should act out of respect for the moral law. Lying can be bad or good, it just depends on why you're lying. If you are lying to cheat someone it is bad, but if you are lying to avoid hurting someone, as example, then it would be a good action.

Utilitarianism: Your action is good or bad, it depends on the final result. The consequences. If your lie ended up hurting someone, it is a bad action, doesn't matter your intention. Now if you had bad intentions but it turns out with a good consequence, then your action is good.

So, what side do you choose? Intentions or consequences? Or maybe other?

I am personally for Kantianism. Because a good outcome is not truly good without a good intention.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 21, 2014 2:10 PM

Dec 2011
Utilitarianism. Its the only we humans will learn from our actions.
May 21, 2014 2:12 PM

Aug 2013
What if you end up helping someone but hurt someone else at the same time?

May 21, 2014 2:14 PM

Aug 2012
kami_desu said:
What if you end up helping someone but hurt someone else at the same time?
Accordingly to Kantianism: Depends on your intention.

Accordingly to Utilitarianism: It depends on the amount of happiness generated out of that action
May 21, 2014 2:15 PM

Aug 2013
Utilitarianism. Ultimately the consequences are the most important.
May 21, 2014 2:16 PM

Mar 2012
lupadim said:
Utilitarianism: Your action is good or bad, it depends on the final result. The consequences. If your lie ended up hurting someone, it is a bad action, doesn't matter your intention. Now if you had bad intentions but it turns out with a good consequence, then your action is good.
That's not utilitarianism, it's Aristotelism/Teleology.
May 21, 2014 2:18 PM

Aug 2012
yazio said:
lupadim said:
" According to both Bentham and Mill, utilitarianism is considered to be a hedonistic approach only if the results of an action do not directly cause a negative impact on others."
May 21, 2014 2:23 PM

Mar 2012
lupadim said:
yazio said:
lupadim said:
" According to both Bentham and Mill, utilitarianism is considered to be a hedonistic approach only if the results of an action do not directly cause a negative impact on others."

Since it seems you got it from here
Wikipedia said:
In A Fragment on Government, Bentham says, "it is the greatest happiness of the greatest number that is the measure of right and wrong"
May 21, 2014 2:25 PM
May 21, 2014 2:27 PM

Aug 2013
I give many actions notes of good and evil, regardless of the intention or the outcome (outcome as used by the OP)

Having a good intention does not absolve you of your evil action
Having a poor intention does not devalue your good action

They're separate pieces that you can put together in a sort of line, provided you clarify the right and wrong of actions without the circumstantial result

This explanation doesn't feel adequate to me
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
May 21, 2014 2:29 PM

Aug 2012
Mogu-sama said:
I give many actions notes of good and evil, regardless of the intention or the outcome (outcome as used by the OP)

Having a good intention does not absolve you of your evil action
Having a poor intention does not devalue your good action

They're separate pieces that you can put together in a sort of line, provided you clarify the right and wrong of actions without the circumstantial result
So, let's say I try to kill you but end up failing. Shouldn't I be punished for my intention? Or are you going to wait until I manage to kill you or somehow hurt you?
May 21, 2014 2:32 PM

Aug 2013
lupadim said:
So, let's say I try to kill you but end up failing. Shouldn't I be punished for my intention? Or are you going to wait until I manage to kill you or somehow hurt you?
Trying to do something is still doing something, just not in the way you desired

I wouldn't only punish you, punishment alone is a waste of time. Restrain you, find out why you want to kill me, take it from there
Want to talk?
Club!

May 21, 2014 2:35 PM

Aug 2013
The ends justify the means, Utilitarianism.

The other one is too touchy feeling and totally meaningless in the face of action, reaction and consequence. The intention doesn't matter what matters is the outcome.

Kill millions to save billions, good or evil doesn't matter what matters is the outcome is justified in cold hard numbers.
May 21, 2014 2:35 PM
Jan 2014
Utilitarianism 4 life
Kibura_Iburasa said:

Kill millions to save billions, good or evil doesn't matter what matters is the outcome is justified in cold hard numbers.
I like how you think
May 21, 2014 2:47 PM
Dec 2013
The first one, for me, the intention always matters.
May 21, 2014 2:50 PM

Jul 2013
Where did you pull your definition of Kantianism from?

Isn't Kantianism a universal law that states that "I ought never to act except in such a way that I could also will that my maxim should become a universal law".

Meaning that there is a universal law that lying is bad. Period. Therefore, you have a moral duty to obey this law and never lie.

And not your definition that lying can be bad or good depending on your intentions.
May 21, 2014 3:08 PM

Aug 2012
Kibura_Iburasa said:

The other one is too touchy feeling and totally meaningless in the face of action, reaction and consequence. The intention doesn't matter what matters is the outcome.

Can numbers even measure how much a life is worth?
May 21, 2014 3:09 PM
Mar 2013
the problem with utilitarianism is that you could get away with attempted muder
May 21, 2014 3:10 PM
Jan 2014
lupadim said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

2 > 1, end of the story.

JD2411 said:
the problem with utilitarianism is that you could get away with attempted muder
its not utilitaristic to let people that try to murder other people getting away with their actions, even if they cause something good with it one time. In the long term, letting them go would cause more harm than good (obviously), therefore its not utilitaristic to let them go.
throwaway111May 21, 2014 3:13 PM
May 21, 2014 3:11 PM

Jul 2013
Soren333 said:

Isn't Kantianism a universal law that states that "I ought never to act except in such a way that I could also will that my maxim should become a universal law".

Meaning that there is a universal law that lying is bad. Period. Therefore, you have a moral duty to obey this law and never lie.

And not your definition that lying can be bad or good depending on your intentions.

Care to comment lupadim?
May 21, 2014 3:13 PM

Aug 2013
lupadim said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

But what if you're killing people under good intentions?
Kibura is saving more people! Doesn't that make his intentions good?

May 21, 2014 3:14 PM
Mar 2013
cabacc2 said:
lupadim said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

2 > 1, end of the story.
it depends on the person

would you let 5 child rapists die so you could save 1 child?
May 21, 2014 3:16 PM

Aug 2012
kami_desu said:
lupadim said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

If I am killing with good intentions, doesn't that mean I am trying to achieve a good outcome? Maybe even Utilitarianism would support my choice?
May 21, 2014 3:16 PM

Nov 2011
lupadim said:
I wouldn't know, but the people over at the insurance companies sure are trying.

OT: Utilitarianism. Seems to make more sense in the long run.

(Albeit only as a basis, because I don't think that any philosophy should be applied to real life as-is)
May 21, 2014 3:20 PM

May 2012
JD2411 said:
cabacc2 said:
lupadim said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

2 > 1, end of the story.
it depends on the person

That is entirely different. The rapists are a threat to society.
May 21, 2014 3:21 PM
Mar 2013
PoeticJustice said:
JD2411 said:
cabacc2 said:
lupadim said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

2 > 1, end of the story.
it depends on the person

That is entirely different. The rapists are a threat to society.
they are still 5 human beings
May 21, 2014 3:23 PM

Aug 2013
lupadim said:
kami_desu said:
lupadim said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

If I am killing with good intentions, doesn't that mean I am trying to achieve a good outcome? Maybe even Utilitarianism would support my choice?

When you say "Can numbers even measure how much a life is worth" You're talking as if taking a life is never acceptable no matter what, but here you are, saying that killing can be justified.
But maybe you're thinking differently. I'm just using what I know about you from other discussions I've read.

May 21, 2014 3:23 PM

Aug 2013
JD2411 said:
they are still 5 human beings

The ends justify the means its not only a numbers game thats one example. This example is not killing 5 people over 1 child, the child is irrelevant. The outcome would be to rid the world of 5 evil people, justifying any action you take against them as the ends will justify the means.

A better example would be would you sacrifice 1 kid to kill 5 pedo/rapists. The answer is yes because the value of the evil killed outweighs the value of 1 good person.
May 21, 2014 3:24 PM
Jan 2014
kibura said it
May 21, 2014 3:29 PM

Apr 2012
Mixture of both, leaning towards Utilitarianism (this word man, this word).
Altough I mix into my decisicion a good amount of egoism.
Cause nothing is more important than me. Bitches.
May 21, 2014 3:35 PM

Apr 2014
Kantianism i suppose.
May 21, 2014 4:35 PM

Mar 2014
A mix of both really. Depending on the context. Utilitarianism is only really a tenable philosophy until a certain level of dickery.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2014 4:41 AM

Jul 2013
Soren333 said:
Soren333 said:

Care to comment lupadim?

All discussion thus far is pointless unless you address this issue lupa-chan.

If you're definition of Kantianism is false then every response that you are getting here will be abiding to a false definition.
May 22, 2014 4:50 AM
Nov 2008
Soren333 said:
Soren333 said:
Soren333 said:

Care to comment lupadim?

If you're definition of Kantianism is false then every response that you are getting here will be abiding to a false definition.
i'm on board with this. a major aspect of kantianism is the whole not lying thing.
May 22, 2014 9:10 AM

Aug 2012
Soren333 said:
Soren333 said:
Soren333 said:

Care to comment lupadim?

Here it is: *throws a bag of attention*

BarryManilow said:
A mix of both really. Depending on the context. Utilitarianism is only really a tenable philosophy until a certain level of dickery.
But usually, when Utilitarianism is not in the dickery level, it usually agrees with Kantianism
May 22, 2014 9:39 AM

Jul 2013
Now you're just being lazy.

If I'm wrong please correct me, as you've always done to many other people.
May 22, 2014 10:18 AM

Sep 2012

Avoiding the question won't validate your arguments. Your definition of Kant is incorrect, Lupadim. No amount of joking around will change that.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
May 22, 2014 10:20 AM

Aug 2013
lupadim said:
This was exactly done following WWI, a value had to be assigned for human life so as to demand reparations (mostly from Germany)
Want to talk?
Club!

May 22, 2014 10:21 AM

Jul 2011
Instead of calling it Kantianism & Utilitarianism, renaming it 1 & 2 should appease people.

Also, this warranted a response:

lupadim said:

Sure people do it all the time when they buy life insurance.
May 22, 2014 10:21 AM

May 2013
idealism

to answer your question tho xD

Kantianism. It's more of a 'golden rule' philosophy, one's action should be repeatable by all and that is what makes it moral. I definitely live by that...it's an effective approach imo.

intent does matter, it can't make an action moral but lack of good intent can take the positive morality out of what would appear on the surface to be a good thing to do, therefor i must say utilitarians are reptilians.
xMizu_May 22, 2014 10:26 AM
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 22, 2014 10:31 AM

Apr 2014
Kibura_Iburasa said:

The ends justify the means its not only a numbers game thats one example. This example is not killing 5 people over 1 child, the child is irrelevant. The outcome would be to rid the world of 5 evil people, justifying any action you take against them as the ends will justify the means.

A better example would be would you sacrifice 1 kid to kill 5 pedo/rapists. The answer is yes because the value of the evil killed outweighs the value of 1 good person.
you wont be saying this if that kid happen to be you
Life is Fun! Yeah,try chanting that 10,000 times each day!
it will mess with your head,and all your pain will disappear
May 22, 2014 10:35 AM
Jan 2014
ryuushogi said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

That doesnt change the fact that it would be beneficial for society to sascrifice the child.
May 22, 2014 10:39 AM

Apr 2014
cabacc2 said:
That doesnt change the fact that it would be beneficial for society to sascrifice the child.
what abt his parents they would be sad and they are part of society
Life is Fun! Yeah,try chanting that 10,000 times each day!
it will mess with your head,and all your pain will disappear
May 22, 2014 10:41 AM

May 2013
cabacc2 said:
ryuushogi said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

do you really consider sterilizing unwanted trouble makers as 'beneficial?' even that is a necessary evil. sacrificing someone to get them is just adding another evil on top of everything...it isn't really helping the situation at all.

better to live by a more universal standard...
I CELEBRATE myself,
May 22, 2014 10:41 AM

Aug 2012
Soren333 said:
Now you're just being lazy.

If I'm wrong please correct me, as you've always done to many other people.
Nonyflah said:

Avoiding the question won't validate your arguments. Your definition of Kant is incorrect, Lupadim. No amount of joking around will change that.
*sigh*, it is just a matter of interpretation

While you can interpret it as "Never ever lie", you can also interpret it this way
May 22, 2014 10:47 AM

Aug 2012
Kibura_Iburasa said:

The worst thing is that you don't even know what you are talking about.

What is more worthy saving? An adult or a kid? They are just numbers, right? So they are equal?

Under a Utilitarian point of view: No. The kid will live more years, so it is better to save the kid.

But wait! The adult is a genius researching for the cure of cancer, and the kid may not even get a job. So we should save the adult.

But the adult has cancer. And he will die within three weeks. What if he can't accomplish the cure? The kid should be saved.

But as far as we know, the kid lives in a dangerous place, so he/she may die within some days.

On the other hand, when the adult is not researching cancer, he works as a cop near the kid's place, so he is exposed to the same danger.

So as you see, Utilitarianism considers way more possibilities... Your logic is just wrong.
May 22, 2014 11:05 AM

Oct 2009
Kibura_Iburasa said:

lol

nice opinion there

that's not exactly how we do things in the free world though
May 22, 2014 11:24 AM
Jan 2014
OnlyEpix said:
cabacc2 said:
ryuushogi said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

do you really consider sterilizing unwanted trouble makers as 'beneficial?' even that is a necessary evil. sacrificing someone to get them is just adding another evil on top of everything...it isn't really helping the situation at all.

our scenario says that its beneficial. Read it again, we defined it that way.
May 22, 2014 11:36 AM

May 2013
cabacc2 said:
OnlyEpix said:
cabacc2 said:
ryuushogi said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

our scenario says that its beneficial. Read it again, we defined it that way.

okay, silly scenario then.
I CELEBRATE myself,
May 22, 2014 11:58 AM

Aug 2013
lupadim said:
The worst thing is that you don't even know what you are talking about.

What is more worthy saving? An adult or a kid? They are just numbers, right? So they are equal?

Under a Utilitarian point of view: No. The kid will live more years, so it is better to save the kid.

But wait! The adult is a genius researching for the cure of cancer, and the kid may not even get a job. So we should save the adult.

So as you see, Utilitarianism considers way more possibilities... Your logic is just wrong.

Now whose been dumb. The answer is you.

You don't decide the rules of Utilitarianism, who is to say you have to take into account the fact the kid lives longer? thats a bullshit excuse to save a child because of morality trying to justify its reasoning using Utilitarianism.

Not to mention you have changed the example to fit your argument which is poor at best. This example is is 1 child's life worth that over killing off 5 pedophiles. So lets actually use that argument, not change it to one man who is researching cancer, your argument doesn't even make sense.

RandomChampion said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

lol

nice opinion there

that's not exactly how we do things in the free world though

Thanks genius thats why its a hypothetical world situation if you haven't seen we don't actually live in a world ruled by either of these ideals but thanks for...wait what are you adding? that this way of thinking isn't current in the real world, thanks could never have guessed that.

Is anyone willing to actually make sense or should I start handing out napkins? for all that bullshit coming out of your mouths.

ryuushogi said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

Yes I would. My existence is not benefiting humanity in anyway sacrificing it to do something greater or rid the world of a higher number of evil people is a sound objective.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Open Relationship ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

rrosicni - Oct 4, 2019

203 by LoveYourSmile »»
3 minutes ago

» What's your favorite two color combination?

SoldierDream - Mar 5, 2018

45 by starshiiine »»
10 minutes ago

» How to not be worried about something

vasipi4946 - 4 hours ago

17 by Taiyaa »»
15 minutes ago

» Has anyone here tried learning an artificial language?

Malkshake - Jun 14

36 by DreamWindow »»
17 minutes ago

» Why do people hate themselves and this world so much?

SmugMiri - 5 hours ago

25 by SmugSatoko »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.