Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 8, 2011 7:57 PM

Oct 2008
The battle scene is so abstract like. o_o
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 8, 2011 7:58 PM

Oct 2008
The battle scene is so abstract like. o_o
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 9, 2011 10:48 AM

Dec 2008
Normally, I despise magical girl animes, but this one does not annoy me at all.
I like Mami. She seems A LOT more mature than a 9th grader.
That was the weirdest witch I've ever seen in my life.
Akemi is the stuff that nightmares are made of.
Feb 11, 2011 3:01 PM
Mar 2010
Interesting plot, but probably real themes will come out in next episodes.... I think Kyubey and Mami-san aren't totally good, and homura-san isn't totally bed...

next to 3rd ep
Feb 11, 2011 4:22 PM

Dec 2010
One-shot muskets? For shame :-/

Still, nice to have a Mahou Shoujo anime that won't strech out to 100 episodes. Plus, it looks like the most confident of this season's batch of shows, which is what we really need after an admittedly poor last season, besides Arakawa (Anyone else seeing a Shaft pattern here??)
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Feb 13, 2011 1:19 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, another great episode. The battle was really awesome :3
Also, dialogue wasn't too bad ... I mean, you kind of have to fight the witches to restore power, and you can only get one wish ... hmm ... personally I don't know if I'd take the deal or not ;O
Maybe ED next episode? :O
Feb 15, 2011 12:58 AM

Mar 2009
Nice visuals. I also liked that song played during the battle.
Feb 24, 2011 12:28 PM
Jan 2010
alwaysbored said:
...The jumper girl reminded me of Madoka's mother ... perhaps i should stop watching anime so late at night...

I thought so as well all the way until Madoka didn't seem to recognize her own mother.
Mar 8, 2011 11:55 AM

Nov 2007
Speculation on Gertrud after rewatching.
http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Gertrud

In ep 1 her barrier is full of butterflies (some of them crowned), architectural elements (corinthian columns, rows of windows), photography, the Eiffeltower is seen at times, and there are lots of fences and barbed-wire.
In ep 2 we see roses and butterflies leading up to the centre of her barrier.
While the doors to the centre are opening, we see a reference to Napoleon:

Napoleon was married to Marie Josèphe Rose Tascher de La Pagerie, known as Rose until she married Napoleon (he prefered the name Josephine).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephine_Beauharnais
She spent some months in the in the Carmes prison in Paris. (some of the architecture seem to resemble the place).
She bought Château de Malmaison (very close to Paris) for her and Napoleon (and remained living there after their divorce).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Malmaison
Joséphine endeavored to transform the large estate into "the most beautiful and curious garden in Europe, a model of good cultivation". The property achieved enduring fame for its rose garden. She created an extensive collection of roses, gathering plants from her native Martinique and from other places around the world. She grew some 250 varieties of roses.
(It might explain all the crowns on the wall of her inner centre).

Random observations:
. Butterflies (from wiki) were seen in Japan as the personification of a person's soul; whether they be living, dying, or already dead. One Japanese superstition says that if a butterfly enters your guestroom and perches behind the bamboo screen, the person whom you most love is coming to see you. However, large numbers of butterflies are viewed as bad omens.
. Moustaches (attached by the wotch herself according to the official page)
Reference to Puccini (Madame Butterfly)?
. Gertrud (name) may - as nerdguy said - refer to
- novel by Hermann Hesse or
- Gertrude Jekyll, an English garden designer. (Her family name was borrowed by Stevenson for his novel Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde).

Feedback?

And does anyone have an idea about what she threw at Mami? Is it a couch?
http://img96.imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img96/2450/shot0033w.png&via=mupload
Mar 10, 2011 10:22 AM

Sep 2010
I just wondered after rewatching this episode, but since Madoka and Sayaka could 'talk' with each other through Kyuubee, and Mami, who was far away, could too, isn't it obvious Homura could hear they were talking about her in class? I mean, later on we found out Kyouko could 'talk' with Sayaka as well, even though they weren't on really good terms, so there's no way for Homura to be.. blocked out, or something, right? Must have been painful to hear people talk like that about you..
Proud mama and papa of Misha Yuuki* (02-01-2014 - 22-01-2014)
Thank you for the wonderful twenty days you gave us. <3
One day we will meet again..
Mar 10, 2011 3:16 PM

Nov 2007
RomanaDesu said:
I just wondered after rewatching this episode, but since Madoka and Sayaka could 'talk' with each other through Kyuubee, and Mami, who was far away, could too, isn't it obvious Homura could hear they were talking about her in class? I mean, later on we found out Kyouko could 'talk' with Sayaka as well, even though they weren't on really good terms, so there's no way for Homura to be.. blocked out, or something, right? Must have been painful to hear people talk like that about you..

Uhm, I think QB says somewhere that he transmits their thoughts to them, so he decides who hears what.
It's different for Kyouko, but posting that here would be spoiler.
Mar 11, 2011 4:29 AM

Jul 2010
Does anyone know the insert song that starts at 5:30 ish to 7:00 ish in episode two? :x It sounds so nice and like Kalafina o-o; not sure if its a new song or old @.@
Mar 11, 2011 5:07 AM

Jul 2010
I was wondering if someone knows the insert song from 5:30-7:00 it sounds like kalafina but not sure x-o and wondering if song is out yet
Mar 11, 2011 5:11 AM

Jul 2010
I was wondering if anyone knows the song from 5:30 to 7:00 it sounds like kalafina. doesn't know if its a new song or old and if the song is out yet. =x
Mar 12, 2011 5:48 AM

Apr 2009
Unji said:
I was wondering if anyone knows the song from 5:30 to 7:00 it sounds like kalafina. doesn't know if its a new song or old and if the song is out yet. =x

It's just a BGM. The soundtrack is not released yet, but I think it's worth waiting.
Mar 26, 2011 1:13 AM
Mar 2009
Unlimited Musket Works, hellz yeah! Transitioning into a BIG ASS GUN? Even better!

Only gripe so far is the artwork of the witch's barrier. It's so freaking weird, like I'm on a drug trip...
Apr 6, 2011 4:18 PM

Dec 2010
Voted 2/5. So far... This episode was better than the previous one. I dislike the battle animation and especially Witches animation(actually no animation at all), and yeah I expected them to look somewhat like Akemi too.
Somebody have to edit the genres listed for this anime series -.- .
Actually I like the dark moments around Akemi,! I hope they'll be enough for me to watch this series to the end.
Apr 6, 2011 11:13 PM

Dec 2010
Nothing really interesting this episode beside the fact the witches look friggen creepy and hang out in a place filled with a weird ass collage of butterflies and shit.

It's starting to feel more creepier now though...

I hope this anime is really lives up to the hype.

Apr 9, 2011 4:22 AM

Feb 2011
pretty the same thing among other magical anime =-=
1st the protagonists is only an ordinary human who lives an ordinary life
then one day meets something unusual, then get's into a pinched ,chosen as a heroin by some magical creature, receives a magic from the magical creature to fight bad element (ofcourse that's to be expect).
aahh how i wish to see something that doesn't start with something so expected and common..

but the fight scene in this ep.excites me though i don't understand the figure of the witch, the collage art is good but i can't tell if it is a witch or vegetable they are fighting with..:/
Apr 14, 2011 6:53 AM

Nov 2008
Kinda feels like a mix between Nanoha, Cossette, Mononoke and Bakemono, but it's really not that good of a mix for the moment....
The cutesy doesn't fit with the violence and creepiness of some scene, and it just seems like a juvenile plot with a mature appearance.

The score however is quite eargasmic.
Apr 16, 2011 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
i like this, theres some sort of addicting aspect to it..

likin it thus far...never thought id say that about a magical girl anime
Apr 25, 2011 5:35 AM

Nov 2010
The fighting scene was like Monty Python all over. I only missed the giant foot. xD
Apr 25, 2011 10:21 PM
Nov 2009
It seems nice, I liked the scene at the end with the woman they saved :) But it doesn't seem as though it's going to stay nice and happy like that. I think I might stop here.
Apr 27, 2011 4:24 PM

Oct 2007
I liked this episode much better than the first! I liked the action despite it being... weird. Didn't expect the witch to look like that either, but I guess it makes that more unique than being something that looks human. I should be sleeping now but I feel like watching the next episode...
Apr 28, 2011 11:16 PM

Feb 2008
She should really talk to Akemi and get her side of things instead of blinding believing the first thing she hears. Also, Akemi should really work on her communication skills if she really wants to stop Madoka. Not that she could of course, there wouldn't even be a show if she didn't choose to be come a mahou shoujo.
Apr 28, 2011 11:25 PM

Oct 2007
jacobpaige said:
She should really talk to Akemi and get her side of things instead of blinding believing the first thing she hears. Also, Akemi should really work on her communication skills if she really wants to stop Madoka. Not that she could of course, there wouldn't even be a show if she didn't choose to be come a mahou shoujo.

Must.....resist....spoiling....later.....episodes.....
all for fun.fun for all
Apr 30, 2011 8:26 PM

Jun 2009
A so-so episode, I love the music and I like the scene with Sayaka talking about "why them" on the rooftop but not much else really worked for me this episode. As far as the witch design...look, I don't mind "trippy" hell, my favorite anime is freaking Evangelion..but that just screamed "lazy" to me personally.

And, yes, I have already heard that Madoka gets "good" during the next episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 1, 2011 12:07 AM

Nov 2010
That battle scene... The fuck? I've seen weird before, but that was just...
May 3, 2011 2:37 PM

Dec 2008
cleo said:
Speculation on Gertrud after rewatching.

And does anyone have an idea about what she threw at Mami? Is it a couch?
http://img96.imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img96/2450/shot0033w.png&via=mupload

I think that it might possibly be meant to be somewhat vague, in order to stress the pyschadelic weirdness aspect. Other than a massive couch, which I thought it was as well, is it not shaped a bit like a human heart symbol? That seems thematically appropriate.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
May 18, 2011 5:41 PM

May 2011
I can't decide yet if I like or not the battle animation, but I really hated how the witch is animated, it looks just.. cheap
May 21, 2011 10:04 AM

Mar 2011
Ah! So I get that Homura has probably had her loved ones hurt as a result of becoming a Magical Girl. Fair enough, and now she wants others to stop making the same 'mistake' as her!

Well, loved the asthetics in this show, the slightly tech style of the world they inhibit, all sleak and shiney, contrasted by the slightly off style of the witches domain! Ha!

It all makes sense now!

Roll on for more mystery!
Jun 11, 2011 3:32 PM

Jan 2009
I actually enjoy the battle scenes quite a bit. Weird and trippy in a good way.
Jun 13, 2011 12:15 AM

Aug 2010
well its the first time i've ever seen a mahou shoujo pull out a pair of shotguns an shot the living hell out of and abstract tree thingy lol actually it was great the battle scenes remind me of bakemonogatari im starting to like this series. (still looking forward to the "true colors" of this series)
Jun 18, 2011 8:47 PM

Jun 2008
One thing that does bug me about this so far is why someone couldn't just wish to be immortal or unable to die? "The sky's the limit" for wishing, right? So how would you be "risking your life" fighting witches in exchange for such a wish?
Jun 19, 2011 12:04 AM
Feb 2010
Alexius said:
One thing that does bug me about this so far is why someone couldn't just wish to be immortal or unable to die? "The sky's the limit" for wishing, right? So how would you be "risking your life" fighting witches in exchange for such a wish?

It's implied at some point later that the girl needs to have the potential to grant more powerful wishes, you'll see.
Jun 21, 2011 6:03 AM

May 2010
Interesting soundtracks lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 1, 2011 11:07 AM

Jan 2010
Definitely an interesting feeling to this mahou shoujo. I'm actually getting Yume Nikki vibes from this series... which is awesome!

Love the power to summon rifles. =D
And love the surreal style of the witch realm...So cool.
Jul 10, 2011 3:31 AM

Aug 2010
I'm liking this a bit more now. I actually like the battle scenes, there different and Mami was badass with her guns.
Jul 16, 2011 2:26 PM

Mar 2010
Right the ending was good cause of the battle ..some humor wont do any harm but im sure it would get better

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 17, 2011 10:36 PM

Feb 2011
Really nice show, it's been a while since I've had an audio-visual orgasm, and apparently this show just delivers it. Although I'm still not too fond of magical girl anime, will keep giving this one a shot.
Sep 12, 2011 7:11 PM

Aug 2008
DenjaX said:
Yeah what the fuck was that?! Seriously, is that what we're going to see as enemies once Madoka signs a contract with Kyubey? Also the trippy surrealistic weird ass battlegrounds are quite unusual... But now seriously, I like them, the surreal bunch of everything....

Talking about references in surreal backgrounds, we got another important reference... Passages to Faust... And all those references to roses, queens and Napoleon.... Dude we actually got references to Napoleon... But more importantly Faust that quite fits the whole dark atmosphere, aura the whole Anime gives off... The question is not who painted them but why they're there... Are they pat of a bigger hidden meaning... Feels like it, and also reinforces my idea that transforming into a magical girl is not a good idea.

I also do not trust that albino fur ball.... I do not trust him/it 'cause can easily get into someone's life and convince them to join him just for the sake of having fun destroying witches... By the way the concept of witches is kinda fussy... where do they come from... Fallen Magical Girls are they? Hope/Despair.... Light/Dark... Counterparts... And where do middle points lie huh?

Mami and Kyubey attitude is weird... So is Homura.... But they're totally opposite between each other... Just like the dark+despair/light+hope theme... Desperately join us! Desperately pushing you away. Oh right... Which would be the cost of transforming into a Magical Girl.... No one has mentioned it... There has to be one... Is it the one Homura mentioned before? or is it one even bigger than that? Also I didn't expected Sayaka to go into deep thought first... But she's right... Why not giving the chance to others that are craving for such kind of chance... why they hell they were chosen...

Also... dunno what you think but looks like Madoka can get decided by herself and needs someone besides her to take the same step. Maybe that's the reason why Kyubey lured Sayaka into this, and left Hitomi out of this... Feels like she needs a safeguard to make a serious decision... like the one she's going to make up next... Looks like Kyubey will not let the hook off until she decides to transform into a Magical Girl.... Funny enough, she's motivated and wants to be one... Already sketched her own Magical Girl Costume...

Oh wellz... lesee what mysteries are solved and which others unfold next episode, so far the anime has been good... Funny artwork but audio has been awesome... Kajiura-sama FTW!

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2011 1:15 PM
Jul 2009
This is so boring so far. Little girl VS...one of Picasso paintings?.. Crap witch design, I'm not enjoying this at all.

Oct 22, 2011 2:12 PM

Feb 2009
I must say I really like where this is going. This is pretty unique.

Although I'm not a fan of the character designs, the scenarios and colourful visuals are incredibly stunning!
Oct 26, 2011 8:40 AM

Jun 2011
I really enjoyed this episode :D

The battle sequence was unique, and I'm loving the characters ^^!!
Nov 28, 2011 1:06 PM

Nov 2011
After first episode I was like: "-_- hmmm , it's ok... but idk why people rate it so high.It's just another magical girls stuff"
After second episode : Psychodelic, O.o awesome, need more... NOW!

Dec 4, 2011 9:15 AM

Jun 2011
Awesome battle scene. At first it was quite strange but at the same time it was quite unique unlike other magical girls anime. The soundtrack used also very fitting and the plot just keep getting better~

And why is Kyuubey's expression never changes (except when it asleep in ep 1)?
Jan 16, 2012 5:04 AM
Feb 2011
Hm, I thought witches were going to be girls too. I hope the show doesn't only consist of them fighting some cardboard flowers.
Also, the wish thing. If that squirrel can supposedly grant any wish, why hasn't anyone asked for all the witches to disappear yet?
Jan 29, 2012 6:38 PM

Jun 2010
Trippiest thing I've ever seen! Very interesting though, anime I watch usually is absolutely nothing like this.
Feb 14, 2012 3:15 AM

Dec 2009
This was an okay episode. I've heard some good things about episode 3, so I have huge expectations going in to it.
Feb 17, 2012 5:31 PM

Jul 2011
I don't get why people think that was so boring, I thought that fight scene was great (well except for maybe the witch, which (heh) looked weird) and What's the deal with these god damn pringles everywhere.

The more that is explained the more it sounds like some RPG (as you could tell from my list this will be one of (might have seen one and don't remember) if not my first magical girl anime, so maybe all are like this and I just don't know).
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favorite character

erziescarlett - May 7, 2023

32 by Zakir_knight »»
Jun 11, 9:59 PM

» Characters are annoying

Flowz0x - May 7, 2022

24 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 11, 9:48 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1546 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

231 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2011

463 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 12:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.