Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do we really need a black history month?
Yes
16.9%
No
47.2%
I don't care.
35.9%
142 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 8, 2009 2:17 AM

Apr 2008
thedarkestandy said:
theeggman85 said:

On the other hand, I really think America could use a Cultural History Month, don't just leave it at blacks.

This would be much more widespread and efficient, i agree with this.

seconded.
different minority histories should be treated as integrated in American history, not as seperate ones.
Feb 8, 2009 2:20 AM

May 2008
I would love a cultural history month.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 8, 2009 2:32 AM
Feb 2009
Well, it's not needed anymore. I think all the media/events centered around black people is self destruction. By creating things centered around a specific race, you make it seem like the race MUST act in the way that the media portrayed it. (BET is a perfect example of this)

However, at the time it was created, it WAS necessary. It's just like when Obama became president, most teens my age said "it's not a big deal". But they're wrong, 60 years ago, a black man couldn't even vote, let alone become the highest power of office in America (for a single person).

Sohei said:
thedarkestandy said:
theeggman85 said:

On the other hand, I really think America could use a Cultural History Month, don't just leave it at blacks.

This would be much more widespread and efficient, i agree with this.

seconded.
different minority histories should be treated as integrated in American history, not as seperate ones.

I don't know about that last part. I think that a cultural history month should revolve around ALL races. If you only integrate minorities into it, then that would also be unfair.
838BlahFeb 8, 2009 2:36 AM
Feb 10, 2009 2:51 PM

Jul 2008
Feb 10, 2009 2:58 PM

Apr 2008
DarkRequiem said:

I don't know about that last part. I think that a cultural history month should revolve around ALL races. If you only integrate minorities into it, then that would also be unfair.

By minorities i mean all races (although a minority doesn't necessarily have to be a race).
Would be kinda strange to exlcude the majority.
Feb 10, 2009 3:03 PM

Feb 2009
I believe all people have the right to take pride in their heritage if they so wish to. And the oppisite goes too.

We'll all be too mixed in a few years to give a crap about all this. It'll be human history month and that'll be that.
Feb 10, 2009 3:19 PM

May 2008
thefountainhead said:
I believe all people have the right to take pride in their heritage if they so wish to. And the oppisite goes too.

We'll all be too mixed in a few years to give a crap about all this. It'll be human history month and that'll be that.

It's definitely going to be a lot longer than a few years. We're extremely caught up in the anti-racism racism right now.

But hopefully that day will come ASAP.
Feb 10, 2009 5:03 PM

Feb 2009
theeggman85 said:
thefountainhead said:

It's definitely going to be a lot longer than a few years. We're extremely caught up in the anti-racism racism right now.

But hopefully that day will come ASAP.

Well yeah I meant a few years as in... possible a 3, 4 generations? It's suprising how fast people will just mongrelise. Look at Brazil.
Feb 17, 2009 3:50 PM

Sep 2007
We should have Human History Month instead
Feb 17, 2009 4:18 PM

Jul 2007
theeggman85 said:
NujaGurl said:
Honestly I agree with you and theeggman85

As in antitype and theeggman85? Cause I disagree with antitype. I see where he's coming from, but his brutal way of getting his point across irritates me.

I just think if we do have a black history month, then fine, I really don't care. It's just that the US is getting so paranoid about races that we have to delegate months (and now an HIV Awareness for blacks day, what happened to awareness for everyone -.-) to black people. Honestly, morgan freeman is right when he's talking about this.

It's not paranoia. It's respect, and remembrance for a race that we've dehumanized. Racism will never disappear, people will always be proud or ashamed of their race, and at least Black History Month lets people be proud.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Feb 18, 2009 2:49 PM

Jan 2009
Interesting quote I found:

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" Freeman asked in an interview broadcast on "60 Minutes" in December. "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

-Morgan Freeman

Feb 18, 2009 3:42 PM

Apr 2008
ColdBeans said:

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" Freeman asked in an interview broadcast on "60 Minutes" in December. "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

-Morgan Freeman

stop pulling quotes from wikipedia.
Feb 18, 2009 6:08 PM

May 2008
ColdBeans said:

-Morgan Freeman

you know we've been talking about this morgan freeman video for a while now... its been posted like 5 times, lol.
Mar 8, 2009 9:25 PM

Feb 2009
There a various months dedicated to the history of certain groups, but you'll have to look them up. I know there is a women's history month and a hispanic history month for sure. Black history month is more well known because it's proponents have done well in their awareness campaign.

Just about everyday of the year is dedicated to something or other, many are double and triple booked. I think it's funny that people raise a ruckus about something that doesn't affect their lives because they view it as something they don't have.

A white history month? You may want to look up the reason for black history month and other similar designated calendar entries. The reason is because the history taught in school is from the white perspective, that tends to romanticize some events and downplay others. These "history" months are intended to get people interested in discovering the history of their people in the U.S.. Small things like these helped to break the status quo and force a rewrite of a lot of curriclum that was being taught.

I don't know how it is now, but when I was in school, the history books basically told us that when the pilgrims landed there were only trees and the occasional indian, and that whites from England created America from the sweat of their brow, brushing aside savages to follow their "Manifest Destiny"! Oh yeah, and along the way they allowed blacks to live free, beat back the evil beaner, and taught indians how to farm and speak english on reservations, because they may hurt themselves riding on horses and playing with spears and arrows. The history books before my generation were even worse.

Racism has not been defeated, and equality has not yet been achieved. If it had been, then black history month would be looked upon as an accomplishment that helped propel us towards that goal, not looked down on as something 'those people' get and we don't.

Is black history month necessary now? Probably not as much, but what is the harm in having something that inspires interest in education? Should black history month be rescinded? No, it is good to have reminders about our struggles to get our society where we are. It is, after all, part of our history.
Is there another word for synonym?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.