Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jun 30, 2013 9:39 AM
Apr 2011
Very good anime, i'am already miss it.
I like Hikigaya, he is so "cool"....
I hope there will be 2nd seasion, of course, i have to wait Light Novel released up to vol 12 or more... right now still vol 7, and this anime based on vol 1 to vol 6. ( i got info from here http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=88936 )
Jun 30, 2013 9:43 AM

Jul 2012
symbv said:
Orsonius said:
I can't understand why it gets 10/10s 9/10s and 8/10s for everywhere.
The Presentation was hardly average, it had absolutely NO story and the characters besides Hachiman were just plain retarded.
HARDLY average is right (I suggest you check up the meaning of "Hardly") - the presentation is brilliant and the skilfully done. The story of the development of relationship between characters is clear. And the use of words like "retarded" only make you look retarded yourself LOL

I mean presentation as in animation and sound. looks.

This anime had below average production values. So I don't understand why people are giving it 8-10 in art and sound.

It didn't go anywhere with its characters, because there was no overarching story, just little events here and there. By the end of the show everything was pretty much like at the beginning or in the middle.

The sidecharacters behaved like idiots most of the time and their personalities were so obnoxious. Argh terrible characters.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jun 30, 2013 9:44 AM

Apr 2013
Orsonius said:
Probably the most Overrated anime of the season.
Orsonius said:
Orsonius said:
Orsonius said:
Orsonius said:
Orsonius said:
what?
Jun 30, 2013 9:46 AM

Apr 2013
If this is the most overrated anime , Attack on Titans is godly overrated or our mind can comprehend how overrated AoT is?
I'm not trying to explain why people like it because it's pretty much obvious that they could relate theyr social life or way of thinking to the anime . I kinda see your point too but this is far from being overrated as much as you say .
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jun 30, 2013 9:47 AM

May 2012
BloodyNightsky said:
If this is the most overrated anime , Attack on Titans is godly overrated or our mind can comprehend how overrated AoT is?

This. You are crazy if you think this overrated Orsonius.
Jun 30, 2013 9:55 AM

Sep 2012
Orsonius said:
Then it is one of the better handled in this season. The music and OP/ED are good. The animation competent except in a few cases in the later part of the series.

Orsonius said:
This anime had below average production values. So I don't understand why people are giving it 8-10 in art and sound.
Disagreed. What is your "average production values" show in this season then? Please note the word you use "Average". Not "good" "top-quality" "high value". "Average" - meaning half of the works would rank below it and half of the works would rank above it, and then we see where OreGairu places versus this "average production value" show you name.

Orsonius said:
It didn't go anywhere with its characters, because there was no overarching story, just little events here and there. By the end of the show everything was pretty much like at the beginning or in the middle.
One most cliched criticism against anime is that "no overarching story" = "no story" which is one of the stupidest comments (but yet one of the most common) made. Little events themselves are not story? And where is everything the same? Hayama group is on better terms with Hikki etc. Yuigahama got closer to Yui and Hikki. The silver hair pony-tailed girl is no longer a loner. Yui finally managed to say a decent goodbye and even waved to Hikki. Subtle development is one thing that big action and loud resolution loving western fans find very difficult to understand and appreciate. Nothing new here.

Orsonius said:

The sidecharacters behaved like idiots most of the time and their personalities were so obnoxious. Argh terrible characters.
Mostly because you never try to understand where they come from, just like the way you dismiss the story as "no story" without sparing it any thought.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 30, 2013 10:29 AM

Jul 2012
BloodyNightsky said:
I'm not trying to explain why people like it because it's pretty much obvious that they could relate theyr social life or way of thinking to the anime . I kinda see your point too but this is far from being overrated as much as you say .

well overrated means giving it a rating it does not deserve such as 10/10 etc,

Yeah say what you like about attack on titan, but that show is based on a popular manga. There was already hype before it airded. While this kinda got out of no where and suddenly everyone loves it.

symbv said:
Then it is one of the better handled in this season. The music and OP/ED are good. The animation competent except in a few cases in the later part of the series.

Well I don't like the opening. The background music is very boring, nothing i'd listen to outside of the anime. Definitely not outstanding.
The character designs are really basic and simple, and their execution is even worse. The backgrounds is just boring highschool, malls and other simple things. Every 0815 anime has backgrounds like Yahari.

symbv said:
Disagreed. What is your "average production values" show in this season then? Please note the word you use "Average". Not "good" "top-quality" "high value". "Average" - meaning half of the works would rank below it and half of the works would rank above it, and then we see where OreGairu places versus this "average production value" show you name.

Just look at shows from this and last season in the same genre what they did and compare.
I'm talking about Hentai Ouji, Dansai Bunri, OreImo2. Those have very basic production values. OreImo probably the best of those. And last season OreShura and Haganai Next similar shows, slightly better productionvalues.
Above average would be the IG shows, Railgun, Valvrave and even Karneval.

symbv said:
One most cliched criticism against anime is that "no overarching story" = "no story" which is one of the stupidest comments (but yet one of the most common) made. Little events themselves are not story? And where is everything the same? Hayama group is on better terms with Hikki etc. Yuigahama got closer to Yui and Hikki. The silver hair pony-tailed girl is no longer a loner. Yui finally managed to say a decent goodbye and even waved to Hikki. Subtle development is one thing that big action and loud resolution loving western fans find very difficult to understand and appreciate. Nothing new here.

Sorry but a story has a beginning a middle and an ending.
It has a build up, tension a climax and a resolve.

Yahari merely had a beginning, but no build up, no tension and no real resolve. The last episode was just a little side event no real conclusion to anything.

Maybe it was subtle but that doesn't make it great of anything. in the end it was just 8mans inner monologues and people like that so they give out 10/10 because "oh wow anti social maincharacter so cool".

symbv said:
Mostly because you never try to understand where they come from, just like the way you dismiss the story as "no story" without sparing it any thought.

Yeah or maybe because half of them had no proper backdrop and were 1 dimensional.
You had the trap (absolutely no depths), the Fujoshi (no depth either), the Chuniibyou (comic relief character, no depth) the idiots around Hayato (so cliched personalities and also unlikable).

Face it, people love Hachiman. That's it. If the show wouldn't have him but some spineless no name like usual people would have not praised this show so much.
Jun 30, 2013 11:14 AM

Apr 2012
I plan to watch this anime when i make planning for spring season.And just to cast away my bored I pick this show up.But I don't know why it so enjoyable and I even stay awake for whole night after this anime airing to get it from fansub.Yeah i like guy with rotten behavior hehe.But this anime just lack something that i just can give 8/10, it's lacking love lol.If it were romance genres then show me the love that make me shivering!!!.
Jun 30, 2013 11:59 AM
Jun 2013
Orsonius said:

While this kinda got out of no where and suddenly everyone loves it.

Because it's solidly written, has a good main cast and is very relatable... and other stuff. This and Maou (I personally only enjoyed the first 5 episodes of Maou, then it kinda lost direction, but others enjoy it so meh) were the two sleeper-hits of the season. (because no one expected anything from them before they aired)

It should speak great volumes about this show's content how it "came out of nowhere" yet "suddenly became loved by everyone".

Orsonius said:

Well I don't like the opening. The background music is very boring, nothing i'd listen to outside of the anime. Definitely not outstanding.
The character designs are really basic and simple, and their execution is even worse. The backgrounds is just boring highschool, malls and other simple things. Every 0815 anime has backgrounds like Yahari.

Opinion. But yes, this show did have a cruddy budget. And STILL managed to be AOTS. Or at least to me and quite a few others.
However I don't think the majority is praising this show because of its music, art or backgrounds. There are those that enjoy them though.

Orsonius said:

Yahari merely had a beginning, but no build up, no tension and no real resolve.

Opinion. A pretty bad one, but sure. Yahari season 1 adapted 6 of the currently 7 existing volumes of the still ongoing light novel series. Also saying that there was no build up, tension or resolve is false. Stop doing this.

Orsonius said:

The last episode was just a little side event no real conclusion to anything.

It was a bonus episode.

Orsonius said:

Maybe it was subtle but that doesn't make it great of anything. in the end it was just 8mans inner monologues and people like that so they give out 10/10 because "oh wow anti social maincharacter so cool".

Yes, there are people who just like you thought the Hachiman monologues were the only good thing about this show, but unlike you they gave this show a high rating. Which is prety sad. Because there was quite a bit more to this show than just Hachiman's monologues.

Orsonius said:

Yeah or maybe because half of them had no proper backdrop and were 1 dimensional.
You had the trap (absolutely no depths), the Fujoshi (no depth either), the Chuniibyou (comic relief character, no depth) the idiots around Hayato (so cliched personalities and also unlikable).

There is truth to this. Some of these characters have been developed better in the light novels. In volume 7 of the LN the Fujoshi and that orange haired guy get their own story. Keep in mind that this is a one cour show. The studio making this show chose to focus on the main three characters.

Orsonius said:

Face it, people love Hachiman. That's it. If the show wouldn't have him but some spineless no name like usual people would have not praised this show so much.

K.

I dunno man, it seems like you're the type of person who dislikes something because it gained popularity, then chooses to barge into a discussion forum to show off how superior your opinion is and that everyone should agree with your taste.

Also, did you seriously lower your score from 3 to 2, because people are opposing your opinion on a discussion board? Last time I checked your profile which was like 3 hours ago or so, it was a 3. That's ... pretty petty.

So, uh, yeah, your spiteful hipster nature is showing. I didn't mean for any of this to be offensive and I'm sure you're a great guy and all, but... eh... yeah, I'll just leave it at that... and I won't respond to you anymore. Heck I apologize for even writing this. I'm sorry, Snarls out.
snarlmaneJun 30, 2013 3:58 PM
Jun 30, 2013 12:04 PM

Apr 2013
Orsonius said:
okay take one of the greatest MC in a long time and replace him with some wimp sure people won't like the show as much.. Damn you're an idiot.
Jun 30, 2013 12:04 PM

Jan 2013
Orsonius said:
well overrated means giving it a rating it does not deserve such as 10/10 etc,

Yeah say what you like about attack on titan, but that show is based on a popular manga. There was already hype before it airded. While this kinda got out of no where and suddenly everyone loves it.

You said "overrated means giving it a rating it does not deserve such as 10/10".
Hype/popularity /= overrated.

"While this kinda got out of no where and suddenly everyone loves it."
That just shows that this anime is good, otherwise how can a relatively unknown series become so popular? To many people, the show clearly deserves a 8,9, or 10.

SnK is undoubtedly overrated. Plenty of fanboys rate it 10/10 and hail it as if it were the best anime ever made, while ignoring many of its flaws and shortcomings, *cough* stillframes *cough*.

Orsonius said:

Music is always subjective. So when music is labelled as good or bad, it is often determined by the proportion of people who like it. From what I gather, most people think the op/ed are good.

As another example, the Valvrave OP sold ridiculously well in Japan, and a lot of people on the Western side love it as well, so it would be considered "good". Though I personally found it to be mediocre at best.
If you want another non-Anime example, Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" is almost indisputably hailed as one of the greatest rock songs of all time - I don't like the song myself, but it's still considered an excellent song.

The character designs are simple. This show has a very modest budget, so there's no helping it.

As for the backgrounds...what did you expect? It's a slice of life anime.

Orsonius said:

Yahari merely had a beginning, but no build up, no tension and no real resolve. The last episode was just a little side event no real conclusion to anything.

Each of the "little events" had their own build up, climax, and resolve.

Orsonius said:

Maybe because said characters you listed were all side characters? In which anime or show are all the side characters completely fleshed out with in-depth back stories? Also, comic relief is just comic relief, there's no need for depth, otherwise it wouldn't be just comic relief anymore.

Yes people love Hachiman. If the show hadn't had him but some "spineless no name" as you said, then there would no show period. Hachiman is the protagonist that drives the show. Without him there is no show. So your logic of "if he weren't here then the show wouldn't be praised so much" is flawed. If you don't like the main character(s), then it's pretty hard for you to enjoy a show since the show revolves around the main character(s).
Jun 30, 2013 12:11 PM

Jan 2013
Orsonius said:

Now that we're on the topic of 'overrated', art and graphic are overrated values in themselves and they're far from important in rating an anime. If you have enough time to study the backgrounds, then you'd already have to be bored to death by both the story and the characters.
Is the anime bad because it didn't have an infinite budget?

Actually, it had all of it. Just that it's not as plainly obvious as in most anime. In order to understand what's going on, you have to use your head a bit and think.
Also, the story is only halfway done. The anime adapted 6 volumes of the Light novel which will have about 14 volumes in total. Don't go expecting a grande finale with explosions and whatnot.

Also funny how you completely ignored snarlmane's huge post and went for 'easier' opponents, still using arguments which he had already refuted...

I gave the show a 10/10 because I PERSONALLY enjoyed every second of it, because the humor fit my tastes to 100%, because a surprising big number of characters were way deeper than they initially seemed to be (Yumiko is not your average bitch/class madonna and Hayama isn't just a normal pretty boy either. By the way, there's more to Saki then meets the eye).
I loved the witty word duells the characters engaged in, I laughed my butt off at Hikigaya's and Yukino's harsh comments.
The anime is very deep and thought-provoking. You don't see 100% of it just like that. You have to use your head a lot in order to understand the character's motives.
Oh, and what's also exremely important to me: The anime induced a great lot discussions, which I participated in (I love discussions).

Basically, I gave it the max score because I really really like it.

I won't travel the world and tell the tale of Oregairu so that every single human may know it's blessings and that every lost lamb will be saved by it's wisdom and teachings.
I won't barge into school classrooms, kick out the teacher and then gracefully explain that giving Oregairu 10 out of 10 points is how you rate works of fiction.
I won't raid a TV station just to tell everyone that their life is pointless if they didn't watch this series.

My ratings are my personal opinions and nothing else. I don't want people to look at my Anime score and think "Damn, he gave Show XY 1 point more than I did. How could I be so wrong?". The only thing I want them to think is "I see. So he likes that kind of anime."
Jun 30, 2013 12:17 PM

Apr 2013
Well , there is one RomCom with a sort of background on side characters , Haganai .
I am not picky on songs , chilling songs are always great when I need to relax .
Songs like Faylan - Blood Teller or Papa Roach - To be loved/last resort are always great to calm my nerves . There are songs that I always listen .
If I'd compare chilling songs from animes that I know , there is none that can best Jigoku Shoujo OP and ED .

Anyway....I guess some people are hypercritical and you cant help it . They are much less forgiving , they penalize the anime for every flaw and they dont overlook them no matter what , for many people that's missleading because they look for enjoyment.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jun 30, 2013 1:10 PM

Jul 2012
Sourire said:
I dunno man, it seems like you're the type of person who dislikes something because it gained popularity, then chooses to barge into a discussion forum to show off how superior your opinion is and that everyone should agree with your taste.

That is just not true. I started out with liking the show, but then after the kids-camp episode it just went really boring.
I also hated the episode around Saki "oh now she has a part time job! How horrible!"
Leave her alone.

But the worst part of the show was the entire cultural festival arc.
I just couldn't care. They made the drama so overblown and even 8man was annoying at that point.

I just felt no relation to their problems as they all felt so mundane. Also there was no motivation, no goal. A story has mostly some goal, something so it has an ending.
Save the princess, beat the evil lord, find your love, become the best. Those are themes and motivations, but yahari had none of that. So I felt bored after a while since nothing was heading anywhere.

Sourire said:
Orsonius said:
okay take one of the greatest MC in a long time and replace him with some wimp sure people won't like the show as much.. Damn you're an idiot.

You don't understand what I mean with that.
The show had nothing besides him. Other shows maybe don't have a great MC but a lot of other good things that keep you interested. When all your bids are on one horse though... you get into trouble.

Axiaz said:
SnK is undoubtedly overrated. Plenty of fanboys rate it 10/10 and hail it as if it were the best anime ever made, while ignoring many of its flaws and shortcomings, *cough* stillframes *cough*.

Sorry but that is double standard. Yahari has just as many flaws (like no real ending, underdeveloped sidecharacters, low production values)

Axiaz said:
Music is always subjective. So when music is labelled as good or bad, it is often determined by the proportion of people who like it. From what I gather, most people think the op/ed are good.

Sure, everything about anime is subjective, but ask yourself how many people who rated the music 8 or higher are going to get the OST and listen to it?
I doubt many people will. And this is where my conclusion comes from. If I like the soundtrack of an anime and it gets a 7+ I download it and listen to it.

Axiaz said:
As for the backgrounds...what did you expect? It's a slice of life anime.

Then why are people giving such high scores, with mediocre budget you get mediocre scores.
Also look at Hyouka, also a school anime and that looks fucking amazing.
Character designs, backgrounds, effects and overall artstyle is one of the best I've ever seen.
But it's a slice of life... what do I expect.
No you can do better as it was shown, that is no excuse. A bad looking anime is still a bad looking anime.

Axiaz said:

They didn't lead anywhere though.

And I don't even mind if a show has no story. I like a lot of show with no story. But those had me entertained with different things. Something Yahari lacked imo.

Naoki-Saten said:
Now that we're on the topic of 'overrated', art and graphic are overrated values in themselves and they're far from important in rating an anime. If you have enough time to study the backgrounds, then you'd already have to be bored to death by both the story and the characters.
Is the anime bad because it didn't have an infinite budget?

A) Anime is about animated drawings. Art is very important or you could just make the story in text form.
B) Then why give it good scores? A good story gets good scores but bad animation gets bad scores that simple.
There are standards set by other anime. If you cannot fulfill them, too bad but don't expect good ratings on them.

Naoki-Saten said:
Also, the story is only halfway done.

Then it only gets a half score. I can't rate what isn't there.
If you work for someone and give him his product and he complains "but it's not finished" and you say, oh well but my ideas are already done and they are great!" no one has anything from that.
This is the anime not the LN.
Maybe the LN is good, the anime not.
Jun 30, 2013 1:12 PM

Jul 2010
I love how resource 8man was this episode, outsourcing and then being the decoy for the decoy...too bad he cheated LOL

Hachiman, and how this anime criticizes society's norms. Best anime this season, really looking forward to a season 2
You may read this quote , "However, by that point you'll have been torn to pieces."
Jun 30, 2013 2:18 PM
Oct 2012
really great series, hope they get a season 2.
8/10 for me.
BTW, does anybody know the name of the version of the ed song that was played in this episode??
Jun 30, 2013 3:44 PM

Sep 2012
8man confirmed BL

Great series, hope we see a second season after the OVA in September.
Jun 30, 2013 3:59 PM

Apr 2011
Orsonius said:

That is just not true. I started out with liking the show, but then after the kids-camp episode it just went really boring.
I also hated the episode around Saki "oh now she has a part time job! How horrible!"
Leave her alone.
But the worst part of the show was the entire cultural festival arc.
I just couldn't care. They made the drama so overblown and even 8man was annoying at that point.

If it was boring, it wouldn't get high ranking. Basicaly you are saying that what you are only one who can asset this show correctly and who doesn't agree are wrong, which is in this case around pretty much everyone here and all people who rated hightly.These people did cared and saw development you are trying denny that much. And even though not always is mayority right but there is always reason for such opinions.

And part time never was point, her worried brother was.

I just felt no relation to their problems as they all felt so mundane. Also there was no motivation, no goal. A story has mostly some goal, something so it has an ending.
Save the princess, beat the evil lord, find your love, become the best. Those are themes and motivations, but yahari had none of that. So I felt bored after a while since nothing was heading anywhere.

Sorry you watched wrong genre. This is so called Slice-of-Life which actualy care more about characters. You might hear about such shows like Uchuu Kyouday, Minami-ke or Spice and wolf. There isn't any overlord and it doesn't need it as long as it's characters get their own inner Demon lords to fight

Orsonius said:

Sorry but that is double standard. Yahari has just as many flaws (like no real ending, underdeveloped sidecharacters, low production values)

Finale had great impact on general audience. So it archieved it's goal and can't called "no real ending"

sides character were no more underdevoloped than in for example Angel Beats or Full Metal alchemist (both great animes according to your opinion as well) and among these characters some are still developing in novels (Ebina, Tobe) later.

Low production values is true, but it never makes mediocre anime, that is privilege of plot and characters and thus my points above.

Orsonius said:
Axiaz said:

Sure, everything about anime is subjective, but ask yourself how many people who rated the music 8 or higher are going to get the OST and listen to it?
I doubt many people will. And this is where my conclusion comes from. If I like the soundtrack of an anime and it gets a 7+ I download it and listen to it.

Can't speak for others, but actualy I did already. Yukitoki is awesome and perfectly fit mood of show. After hearing it I decided check more songs of Nagi. And ending (with exception of rock version which didn't fit my taste) was just must for me as Saori Hayami is my favourite singer for years. I belive I am not only one though.

Then why are people giving such high scores, with mediocre budget you get mediocre scores.
Also look at Hyouka, also a¸ school anime and that looks fucking amazing.
Character designs, backgrounds, effects and overall artstyle is one of the best I've ever seen.
But it's a slice of life... what do I expect.
No you can do better as it was shown, that is no excuse. A bad looking anime is still a bad looking anime.

This show was surprise, sponsors didn't expect it to be this popular and so low budgets happened. Despite of that it's possible see how much it was done with that little animators had. I know very few animes that played this much with exposition and body language. In Oregairu indeed 90 percent of communication was nonverbal (and these 10 percent briliant). Also character design is great and sharp. Which deserve praise.

Orsonius said:
Axiaz said:

They didn't lead anywhere though..

They led to character development, most important part of show.

A) Anime is about animated drawings. Art is very important or you could just make the story in text form.
B) Then why give it good scores? A good story gets good scores but bad animation gets bad scores that simple.
There are standards set by other anime. If you cannot fulfill them, too bad but don't expect good ratings on them.

Does that means old shows like first Macross or Gundam are mediocre? Hell no. Point of anime isn't look good, but bring characters to life, which Oregairu handled perfectly. Also where did you get that someone gave good rating to animation? That would be obviously bst. But it can happen that someone doesn't consider animation important enough to affect it's evalution. There is nothing wrong with that.

Then it only gets a half score. I can't rate what isn't there.
If you work for someone and give him his product and he complains "but it's not finished" and you say, oh well but my ideas are already done and they are great!" no one has anything from that.
This is the anime not the LN.
Maybe the LN is good, the anime not.

In that case Hyouka is trash, what a pity I liked it a lot, but thanks for opening my eyes...
Tenzen12Jun 30, 2013 4:10 PM
Jun 30, 2013 5:06 PM

Dec 2012
So, it was probably answered, but when does that ED get releases?
Jun 30, 2013 8:57 PM

Mar 2013
Why is everyone responding to a shitposter?
Jun 30, 2013 9:09 PM

May 2012
That was a filler? Cuz it was awesome, it felt like 5 minutes long.

Probably the best anime of the season that ended (half-cour). This should definitely get a season 2, a show this awesome cannot end here.
Jun 30, 2013 9:14 PM

Jul 2011
^ yes it was a filler
Jun 30, 2013 10:13 PM

Apr 2013
This was an entertaining episode to ease off the series. It was nice seeing Hikki's monologues one last time for the season; they give the series a unique flavor. As well, most of the characters are likable and well developed, which is crucial for a show that does not involve action or drama.

I really enjoyed the series and I hope that we will be able to see more of Hikki in a second season.
Jun 30, 2013 10:57 PM

Jul 2012
Tenzen12 said:

Basicaly you are saying that what you are only one who can asset this show correctly and who doesn't agree are wrong, which is in this case around pretty much everyone here and all people who rated hightly.

You see I used the word "I" not "everyone else". It's my thoughts.

Tenzen12 said:

Sorry you watched wrong genre. This is so called Slice-of-Life which actualy care more about characters.

No I didn't I watch a lot of SoL and usually enjoy them, for the same reason as you said. Characters.
Yahari had a cast of characters I couldn't care for.
Also you can have a SoL with story as well. Like Haibane Renmei.

Tenzen12 said:

Finale had great impact on general audience. So it archieved it's goal and can't called "no real ending"

Apparently you don't know what a finale is, a filler episode is not a finale. The episode wasn't terrible I even laughed here and there. But it did't add anything to the show, no real closure.

Tenzen12 said:
Sides character were no more underdevoloped than in for example Angel Beats or Full Metal alchemist (both great animes according to your opinion as well) and among these characters some are still developing in novels (Ebina, Tobe) later.

Angel Beats had serious isses with their characters and plot as well, but they made up for it with at least having interesting characters, or fun to watch. The production values and premise was also better.

FMA:B is a shounen and its sidecharacters were given a better treatment than most other shounen. Also FMA had an actual story and characters that I could care for. Their problems actually concerned me, not like "oh no cultural festival the most important shit in the universe".

Tenzen12 said:

Can't speak for others, but actualy I did already. Yukitoki is awesome and perfectly fit mood of show. After hearing it I decided check more songs of Nagi. And ending (with exception of rock version which didn't fit my taste) was just must for me as Saori Hayami is my favourite singer for years. I belive I am not only one though.

I'm not just talking about the theme song but also the background music, the OST. To me it was very boring stuff that just plays in the background.

Tenzen12 said:

This show was surprise, sponsors didn't expect it to be this popular and so low budgets happened.

You don't have to explain to me WHY it was bad. That's unimportant,fact is it is not good.
And if you like the character designs okay. Can't say anything about that. I didn't

Tenzen12 said:

Does that means old shows like first Macross or Gundam are mediocre? Hell no.

These came out in a different time with different technology. You can only judge them by their context. Yahari is a show that came out this year and you look what anime did before and compare.

Tenzen12 said:

Also where did you get that someone gave good rating to animation?

read some of the 9/10 10/10 reviews. Some people give it 6-7 which is still too high, but okay.
But there are people giving it 10 in animation/art.

Tenzen12 said:

In that case Hyouka is trash, what a pity I liked it a lot, but thanks for opening my eyes...

Hyouka had a lot more good points. But I agree it felt stretched out and boring by the end.
Yet I think it was better in EVERY aspect compared to Yahari.
Jun 30, 2013 11:25 PM

Apr 2011
Ok, now answer once more and this time without picking completely random sentences and puting them out of context. Ignoring half of point make you look stupid not me.
Tenzen12Jun 30, 2013 11:34 PM
Jun 30, 2013 11:54 PM

Apr 2013
Tenzen12 said:
Ok, now answer once more and this time without picking completely random sentences and puting them out of context. Ignoring half of point make you look stupid not me.

You're trying to convince someone thats hypercritical to the show , there is no point to continue . She didnt felt connected to it so she rated it for overall(art , animation quality , story , soundtracks) . Remember that she's the one that wanted a completely different system for reviews and , if I recall right , ratings ,too . I have no problems with it . Atleast she's not trying to enforce her opinion on me.
Jul 1, 2013 12:14 AM

Sep 2012
Orsonius said:
To me the OP is great. The background is done just about right - nothing too great but definitely not boring either. The character design has certain unique touches that I do not see in other anime, particularly the way they draw the faces and hair. The background is nothing too special but it is not unexpected in an anime with this setting but it is not boring either and it definitely looks MUCH BETTER than any of those morning anime with much plainer and flatter coloring and animation.

Orsonius said:

Just look at shows from this and last season in the same genre what they did and compare.
I'm talking about Hentai Ouji, Dansai Bunri, OreImo2. Those have very basic production values. OreImo probably the best of those. And last season OreShura and Haganai Next similar shows, slightly better productionvalues.
Above average would be the IG shows, Railgun, Valvrave and even Karneval.
Then you could not be more wrong. Hentai Ouji is not basic nor average, but high quality, same with OreImo2. Dansai Bunri I rank it slightly lower than this anime. OreShura definitely not your "average" production values and it seems you just quote the good stuff, pretend that they are "average" and then call this anime having "below average" which is just a nasty old trick to trash something that it does not really deserve it. I won't call production value in OreGairu top quality but I think calling it "below average" is going way too far.

Orsonius said:

Wrong, it does not need climax or resolve necessarily. A story is a story even it does not have build up or climax. Besides, the arcs in this anime have build up, tension and climax. Who can say the Culture Festival arc or the Summer Camp arc do not have build up, tension and resolution??

Orsonius said:
There is no need to insist there must be a full overarching story to cover the whole series. Within each arc, there is beginning, build up, tension and real resolution, and from arc to arc we can see people slightly changing their relationships and attitudes. There is no need for any "real conclusion" for a last episode. Asking for such thing when it is never the point of the series is just shooting at wrong target -- you miss the point and hence you criticize it, which at the end is just pointless.

Orsonius said:
Such characters exist in many anime, be it OreShura, OreImo, Hentai Ouji... You love the anime and you ignore these stereotypes; you hate the anime and then they all become 1-dimensional characters to be ridiculed. Granted, I agree that character portrayal is limited by the rushed pace of adaptation but I do not see it necessarily being worse than other anime.

Orsonius said:
I am not sure about others, but actually I personally don't like him. And in fact he is one reason why I don't think I enjoy the anime as much as others did, but still I do not agree with what you said about this anime -- that its production value is low, animation/character design bad, music/art boring, no story, flat characters -- all this just sound deeply prejudiced or misconceived.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 1, 2013 1:27 AM

Jul 2012
Tenzen12 said:

Is read all of it and answered all of the things I thought necessary.
I shortened the quotes because the post would have been to long otherwise.
Point out please what I missed out or twisted then I correct my response.

symbv said:
To me the OP is great.

Can't argue with that.

symbv said:
The background is done just about right - nothing too great but definitely not boring either.

I disagree, but you seem to have lower standards than me.
Again look at Hyouka in comparison for backgrounds that look gorgeous even though it is just a School Anime.

symbv said:
The character design has certain unique touches that I do not see in other anime, particularly the way they draw the faces and hair.

Mayb I was a bit too harsh, yet I don't find them special in any way. Their looks are very normal compared to most other shows.

symbv said:
The background is nothing too special but it is not unexpected in an anime with this setting but it is not boring either and it definitely looks MUCH BETTER than any of those morning anime with much plainer and flatter coloring and animation.

Please name one of those morning anime.
Also again look at Hyouka and compare. You can still draw good looking backgrounds even if the setting is not interesting.

symbv said:
Hentai Ouji is not basic nor average, but high quality

Lol what? Do you watch your anime with closed eyes?

That's not how the moon works (see the stars shining through the moon?)
And that's not how mirrors work either [argh can't find it right now, will update it when I am at home and can make a screenshot, anyways it's a picture where the reflection is wrong]

Those are just 2 mistakes and there are many more and overall it's okay budget.

symbv said:
same with OreImo2. Dansai Bunri I rank it slightly lower than this anime. OreShura definitely not your "average" production values and it seems you just quote the good stuff, pretend that they are "average" and then call this anime having "below average" which is just a nasty old trick to trash something that it does not really deserve it. I won't call production value in OreGairu top quality but I think calling it "below average" is going way too far.

It's obvious that your standards are very low if you consider these shows above average.
Please then enlighten me what is average, below and above. If you don't like my standards show me yours.

symbv said:
Wrong, it does not need climax or resolve necessarily. A story is a story even it does not have build up or climax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrative_structure

symbv said:
Besides, the arcs in this anime have build up, tension and climax. Who can say the Culture Festival arc or the Summer Camp arc do not have build up, tension and resolution??

I give you that, but these are separate arcs, not a connected story with a goal. Anyways you can read in my other post that I don't mind the lack of a story as long as the events happening are interesting. It wasn't for me.

symbv said:
Such characters exist in many anime, be it OreShura, OreImo, Hentai Ouji... You love the anime and you ignore these stereotypes; you hate the anime and then they all become 1-dimensional characters to be ridiculed. Granted, I agree that character portrayal is limited by the rushed pace of adaptation but I do not see it necessarily being worse than other anime.

Yes I know, and I can't credit them. But the characters in OreShura, OreImo and Ouji are at least quirky enough to enjoy (at least for me). While Yahari had a more serious approach to the romcom genre, yet also cliched or one dimensional characters.
Anyways all of those shows have no great characters.
Again Hyouka is the best example of characters that are way more realistic and have more depth.

symbv said:
I am not sure about others, but actually I personally don't like him. And in fact he is one reason why I don't think I enjoy the anime as much as others did, but still I do not agree with what you said about this anime -- that its production value is low, animation/character design bad, music/art boring, no story, flat characters -- all this just sound deeply prejudiced or misconceived.

Okay that's just what I got. People like him and when you read the reviews they always praise him. Even I did.

I think the anime is just not as good as people say it is. It's not more than any other romcom, maybe even less when you take in account the mediocre to bad production values and the "rushed" pacing. Shows like ToraDora had similar side characters I hated, but at least they had enough time to develop most of them. And it also had better production values and an actual plot with a real conclusion.

This is what I think a good romcom would be like.
Jul 1, 2013 1:56 AM

Apr 2011
What you commented

Orsonius said:
Tenzen12 said:
This show was surprise, sponsors didn't expect it to be this popular and so low budgets happened.

You don't have to explain to me WHY it was bad. That's unimportant,fact is it is not good.
And if you like the character designs okay. Can't say anything about that. I didn't
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=622043&show=260#Pi51moVVVVHfqIzd.99

What I actualy wrote
Tenzen12 said:
This show was surprise, sponsors didn't expect it to be this popular and so low budgets happened. Despite of that it's possible see how much it was done with that little animators had. I know very few animes that played this much with exposition and body language. In Oregairu indeed 90 percent of communication was nonverbal (and these 10 percent briliant). Also character design is great and sharp.

My post: Why it has good art, despite lacking animation. Which is also reason why it didn't got bad rating in art area

Your interpretation: why it has bad animation.

See completely opposite context. Same is pretty much with every single answer of yours.

Aside of that:
You see I used the word "I" not "everyone else". It's my thoughts.

If you say it's overated you mean people gave rated more than is correct. Means they are wrong, you are right.

No I didn't I watch a lot of SoL and usually enjoy them, for the same reason as you said. Characters.
Yahari had a cast of characters I couldn't care for.
Also you can have a SoL with story as well. Like Haibane Renmei.

So it's overated cause you couln't care for characters? From when you personal character preferences are etalon for quality?

That's pretty much whole you argumentation: You did't like characters, it has bad animation (despite good art overaly) and story is lacking.

First two aren't decessive and third is plainly wrong. Fact you even mistaken bonus episode for finale is proof of inability understood basic structure of show.

Tenzen12Jul 1, 2013 2:18 AM
Jul 1, 2013 2:18 AM

Jul 2012
Tenzen12 said:

What I actualy wrote
Tenzen12 said:
This show was surprise, sponsors didn't expect it to be this popular and so low budgets happened. Despite of that it's possible see how much it was done with that little animators had. I know very few animes that played this much with exposition and body language. In Oregairu indeed 90 percent of communication was nonverbal (and these 10 percent briliant). Also character design is great and sharp.

As you can see my post was why it has good art.

Your interpretation: why it has bad animation.

See completely opposite context.

Ahh okay, well I don't think it was outstanding in anyway. If you ever watched a Kyouto Animation anime you know what good body language looks like.
I think you are over-interpreting it, I mean I can see why as it is in your favorite anime list.

I just think it was not outstanding at all.
Average at best. At least nothing that impressed me.
If you haven't seen hyouka yet, do it. It's very similar but imo much better. I still though hyouka was pretty boring later on (especially since it has more episodes than Yahari) but overall was pretty good.

If you have then tell me how you think those two compare.
Jul 1, 2013 2:22 AM

Apr 2011
Of course I seen Hyouka. I liked it's theme of everyday misteries and it's solving, but characters didn't impressed me much (with exception of Satoshi maybe).

But unlike you I can aknowledge it's merit even if I didn't connected with it. You should learn that too. And If put anime (I didn't realy bothered catalogise all of my favourite shows yet) into favourite, it's cause it's good, not vice versa. And no Kyouto animation also doesn't have any show I know about (most of them) memorable for body language

PS: From now keep using "I just thing" in every your post. There will no need spend hours on answers for me and possibly neither for others.

PSS: for comparisson:

Art and sound:
Hyuoka had better animation, and overaly greater budgest. And it's showing. In metter of soundrack I usualy don't notice in on first watching so I can't judge. In case of OP and ED Oregairu wins as I like both, while in Hyouka case it's only OP from Chouco.

Plot:
Both shows are depending on characters and there isn't much of consistent story to speak about

Characters:
Oregairu wins:

Oreki atitude was never explained. His creed is conserve energy. Period. Why? For what he want use it? Just cause. Than there is Eru. Her role? Being cute and currious. Period. Sayaka and Satoshi are good and well handled. Irisu is even better. Unfortunetely it's not that much about them

In case of Hachiman and Yukino we know well why they act the way they do. Even Yui has suprisingly her issues. Hayato and Shizuka-sensei seal the deal.

Story telling :
Hyouka wins though. Oregairu have lot of subtleties, but maybe too much and it sometimes get a bit heavy handed. Hyouka is easier to watch and there is actualy wery little need thinking about stuff (unless you want solve cases)

And with it I would conclude it. Hyouka is rated 8,26 and Oregairu 8,11 and that sound more or less legit to me.
Tenzen12Jul 1, 2013 3:47 AM
Jul 1, 2013 7:06 AM

Aug 2012
My favorite anime for this season. Great characters both the lovable ones and.. annoying ones. Awesome monologues that can shake your philosophy in its core. The humors are funny but not in a laughable way, it's hard to explain but Hachiman speaking about reality with a poker face is funny in a sense in my opinion. Overall 9/10

So the long wait for season 2 begins. Wait, there will be an OVA. Thank Kami-sama.

And by the way, for those who are complaining that this episode is just some mediocre ending, please, ep 13 is just a filler episode. It was announced eons ago that this episode will be an anime special and the 12th ep is actually the last ep for this season.
julyanJul 1, 2013 7:17 AM
Jul 1, 2013 7:38 AM

Sep 2012
Orsonius said:
I disagree, but you seem to have lower standards than me.
Again look at Hyouka in comparison for backgrounds that look gorgeous even though it is just a School Anime.
That is because you use the word "Average". If you look around the anime aired in this season (I checked 29 shows this season) I would definitely put the animation of this show at "average" at the lowest. And of course if we extend the scope even further OreGairu may even be one of the show that has above average quality in animation, particularly for one in its genre.

Orsonius said:
Mayb I was a bit too harsh, yet I don't find them special in any way. Their looks are very normal compared to most other shows.
I believe if you put its character design among character design in other shows I can tell the one for OreGairu apart from others. And this means it is unique enough for it to stand out, at least to me.

Orsonius said:

symbv said:
The background is nothing too special but it is not unexpected in an anime with this setting but it is not boring either and it definitely looks MUCH BETTER than any of those morning anime with much plainer and flatter coloring and animation.

Please name one of those morning anime.
Also again look at Hyouka and compare. You can still draw good looking backgrounds even if the setting is not interesting.
Gyrozetter, Jewelpet, Yugioh, Digimon.. more than one here... Yeah, everyone knows Hyouka is great in background art. Again you are naming some of the "top quality" anime just to put this anime to "below average" category.

Orsonius said:
symbv said:
Hentai Ouji is not basic nor average, but high quality

Lol what? Do you watch your anime with closed eyes?

That's not how the moon works (see the stars shining through the moon?)
And that's not how mirrors work either [argh can't find it right now, will update it when I am at home and can make a screenshot, anyways it's a picture where the reflection is wrong]
Does not change the fact that the animation is high quality not basic nor average. Basically those examples you quote are obvious only by pausing and looking closely. In general I'd say the art is of high quality. Not top quality but not the baisc/average kind.

Orsonius said:
symbv said:
same with OreImo2. Dansai Bunri I rank it slightly lower than this anime. OreShura definitely not your "average" production values and it seems you just quote the good stuff, pretend that they are "average" and then call this anime having "below average" which is just a nasty old trick to trash something that it does not really deserve it. I won't call production value in OreGairu top quality but I think calling it "below average" is going way too far.

It's obvious that your standards are very low if you consider these shows above average.
Please then enlighten me what is average, below and above. If you don't like my standards show me yours.
Oh? But you named Dansi Bunri as average, while I rank it below OreGairu. So does it mean that your standards are very low then? Average is what you see when you check all the anime around, including those for morning, evening and midnight. Those morning anime, which is more abundant in quantity, would be the "average". And if any anime that could not even reach that level, showing out-of-character animations or glaring mistakes, or the budget clearly cannot support even the average level like those flash anime and many of the short anime, would be below average. Top quality would be something that involve lots of complicated or intricate animation, that those we see in Valvrave for example.

Orsonius said:
symbv said:
Wrong, it does not need climax or resolve necessarily. A story is a story even it does not have build up or climax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrative_structure
Not definition of "story". Don't mix up the two.

Orsonius said:

Yes I know, and I can't credit them. But the characters in OreShura, OreImo and Ouji are at least quirky enough to enjoy (at least for me). While Yahari had a more serious approach to the romcom genre, yet also cliched or one dimensional characters.
Anyways all of those shows have no great characters.
Again Hyouka is the best example of characters that are way more realistic and have more depth.
I just take OreGairu as what it claims, a "romcom", and in this way it is just the same as OreImo and Ouji (OreShura is also a romcom but also a niche one - harem romcom). Both OreImo and Ouji also have its serious element that has considerable weight, so I do not think we need to particularly weigh on OreGairu for any "more serious appraoch" because it isn't really "more serious" than those works. As I said OreGairu indeed rushes through the novel so the side characters do not get much coverage, but on the other hand, I think for the three main characters they are given more focus than works like Ouji and even OreImo.

Orsonius said:

I think the anime is just not as good as people say it is. It's not more than any other romcom, maybe even less when you take in account the mediocre to bad production values and the "rushed" pacing. Shows like ToraDora had similar side characters I hated, but at least they had enough time to develop most of them. And it also had better production values and an actual plot with a real conclusion.
There is one thing that stands out for this work -- the character Hikki is a unique MC. You may not find him cool. I may not like his cynical and stubborn attitude. But you have to admit that such MC is rare, be it romcom or other genre. And the way it portrays cliques and hierarchy in classes is also not often seen in anime (live action drama may have more such topics, or so I heard). From what comments I read in Japanese forums, the portrayal rings true to quite many people. I think it is what draws in people, and take into account the average to above average production value and focus on the key characters, this becomes a popular acclaimed show. And as I said, real conclusion is not what the series meant to provide anyway (and not what people seem to mind either), so that is not much of a factor.

Jul 1, 2013 8:33 AM

Mar 2010
This is the kind of anime I would definitely like to see a second season. So refreshing and Hachiman is a bad ass character. Although, a second season kinda seem unlikely to happen. Come on Brains Base!
Check out my channel!
Erzat
Jul 1, 2013 10:39 AM
May 2012
Season 2 is probably 1-2 years from now.Seriously why does it takes so much time to make season 2 in every anime. Even highschool dxd 15 MONTHS before season 2 considering the fact that it is famous. SOMEONE TELL ME
TengaiJul 1, 2013 10:43 AM
Jul 1, 2013 11:23 AM
Jan 2013
Tengai said:
Season 2 is probably 1-2 years from now.Seriously why does it takes so much time to make season 2 in every anime. Even highschool dxd 15 MONTHS before season 2 considering the fact that it is famous. SOMEONE TELL ME

Not enough source material, The anime just finished 6 of the 7 chapters of Oregairu it takes awhile to write a chapter that's why.
Jul 1, 2013 11:25 AM
Jun 2013
I don't mind the wait, as long as the content stays good.
Jul 1, 2013 11:35 AM
May 2012
snarlmane said:
I don't mind the wait, as long as the content stays good.

what if i die o_o
Jul 1, 2013 11:40 AM
Jun 2013
Tengai said:

what if i die o_o

Then I'll personally come to your grave with a big ass TV screen and we'll watch it together, how's that sound?

Haha, but no, come on, at least we have something to look forward to. Among other things. Like other shows and stuff.
Jul 1, 2013 11:41 AM
May 2012
kitkatxz said:
Tengai said:

Not enough source material, The anime just finished 6 of the 7 chapters of Oregairu it takes awhile to write a chapter that's why.

yup that's the reason but some anime really does take a lot of time even if all the material is completed to make the anime.
Jul 1, 2013 11:46 AM
May 2012
snarlmane said:
Tengai said:

what if i die o_o

Then I'll personally come to your grave with a big ass TV screen and we'll watch it together, how's that sound?

Haha, but no, come on, at least we have something to look forward to. Among other things. Like other shows and stuff.

That sounds awesome.
Jul 1, 2013 1:32 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Just marathoned this series after a recommendation an must say it was pretty good. Good dialogue (if a bit on the unreal side), an MC with brain and balls but that still manages to makes things hard for himself, and an underlying story that still has to be developed. To top it off, it had a minimal amount of fanservice and no imouto fetishes or the like. I really hope we can get a sequel of this great story.

Probably because I saw it in one sitting, but Hachiman actually has developed a lot since he entered the club. At the start of the series he hardly spoke to anyone and now he was suddenly interacting with others despite his fearsome reputation.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 1, 2013 3:52 PM

Mar 2012
Can't wait for vol 8 of the LN..
Keep moving forward
Jul 1, 2013 4:35 PM
Jun 2013
Well, this was an utter disappointment for me. I did enjoy the final episode more than the rest of the episodes but for an ending, this was pretty bad.

I don't really know why I found this anime so extremely boring but I think I might write my first review just analyzing why I found this anime boring. I think it was just too realistic for me. Not that realism instantly makes an anime boring, but I guess it felt like "a pretty boring part of a pretty boring person's life". The only characters I liked were Yui and Komachi, probably because they were the only ones to spice things up a bit.

If anyone who really liked this anime would like to discuss it, please feel free to send me a PM, because I would really like to hear someone else's point of view.
Jul 1, 2013 5:25 PM
Oct 2012
Tengai said:
kitkatxz said:
Tengai said:

yup that's the reason but some anime really does take a lot of time even if all the material is completed to make the anime.

plus i believe (not to sure though) that high school dxd 1 season didnt cover all of the volumes like oregairu did so they were able to make a second season without much trouble.
Jul 1, 2013 9:40 PM
May 2012
sherps said:
Tengai said:
kitkatxz said:
Tengai said:

plus i believe (not to sure though) that high school dxd 1 season didnt cover all of the volumes like oregairu did so they were able to make a second season without much trouble.

but it did take 15 months to make it
Jul 2, 2013 2:36 AM

Jun 2013
Tengai said:

Not only this. In fact, we'd be lucky if they released a second season in one or two years; I guess you guys know what it means to be under the Brains Base label -cough cough endless waiting for Durarara!! anyone?-.

About the episode, it was a 'meh' for me. Nothing impressive at all but I'd be a liar if I said it wasn't fun, plus if it had ended with something stronger the waiting for season 2 would have been extremely painful.
Jul 2, 2013 3:30 AM

Feb 2013
doubt we will get a 2nd season,which is sad,as i really enjoyed it even the last episode.
would've wished hayama..(forgot his name again..blondie)got injured somehow though...
Jul 2, 2013 4:08 AM

Jul 2012
symbv said:

That is because you use the word "Average". If you look around the anime aired in this season (I checked 29 shows this season) I would definitely put the animation of this show at "average" at the lowest. And of course if we extend the scope even further OreGairu may even be one of the show that has above average quality in animation, particularly for one in its genre.

I’m not sure if you are aware that I don’t only talk about animation itself, but also artstyle, backgrounds, character designs and special effects.
I found none of these aspects above average.
But you convinced me, I will take a second look at my review and see what can at least get an average score of those things, because I’m not 100% happy with giving it a 1/10 either in art/animation.

symbv said:

I believe if you put its character design among character design in other shows I can tell the one for OreGairu apart from others. And this means it is unique enough for it to stand out, at least to me.

It’s not about telling them apart, but how interesting they are. I don’t see anything special about the character designs or anything well made.
KyoAnis character designs are well made.
And Katanagataris character designs are very special.
Yaharis is neither, so they are at best average.

symbv said:

Gyrozetter, Jewelpet, Yugioh, Digimon.. more than one here... Yeah, everyone knows Hyouka is great in background art. Again you are naming some of the "top quality" anime just to put this anime to "below average" category.

I don’t find Gyrozetter much worse than Yahari (at least from the looks, the animation might be worse). Character designs have the same style, backgrounds equal quality, I actually like the more vibrant colors in Gyrozetter more to be honest.
I don’t watch any of the others but I agree back when I watched Yugioh and Digimon they were really bad in quality (kidshows are usually bad). Yet I think Yugioh had special character designs, and Digimon interesting backgrounds.
I don’t find Yahari any better than those shows, maybe slightly (thus I will change my Art/animation Score in my review accordingly)

symbv said:

Does not change the fact that the animation is high quality not basic nor average. Basically those examples you quote are obvious only by pausing and looking closely. In general I'd say the art is of high quality. Not top quality but not the baisc/average kind.

I don’t understand what you call high quality. Ghost in the Shell is high quality, Akira is high quality, fucking Guilty Crown is high Quality.
It was at best AT BEST 6/10 for me, but not really. 5/10 suites its art and animation quality very well. If I put HenNeko next to GitS SAC, or even Bakemonogatari or any Kyoto Animation show, I can clearly see a vast difference in both artistic presentation and animation quality.
You set you highest bar and then you see how well everything else compares.
You also set the lowest bar and do the same though.

symbv said:

Oh? But you named Dansi Bunri as average, while I rank it below OreGairu. So does it mean that your standards are very low then? Average is what you see when you check all the anime around, including those for morning, evening and midnight. Those morning anime, which is more abundant in quantity, would be the "average". And if any anime that could not even reach that level, showing out-of-character animations or glaring mistakes, or the budget clearly cannot support even the average level like those flash anime and many of the short anime, would be below average. Top quality would be something that involve lots of complicated or intricate animation, that those we see in Valvrave for example.

I think Dansai Bunri had way worse character designs but sometimes good animation. I think that Dansai Bunri is actually quite bad in its visual presentation (that’s why I gave it a 3/10 in animation/art)
So yeah again I change my Yahari score for that, I still think it is not good.

By the way there are no “morning, evening and midnight” anime for me. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

But I know that kidshows usually have bad quality (not only in art but overall)

And I agree that Valvrave has more complicated animation, though it’s not top end.

symbv said:

I just take OreGairu as what it claims, a "romcom", and in this way it is just the same as OreImo and Ouji (OreShura is also a romcom but also a niche one - harem romcom). Both OreImo and Ouji also have its serious element that has considerable weight, so I do not think we need to particularly weigh on OreGairu for any "more serious appraoch" because it isn't really "more serious" than those works. As I said OreGairu indeed rushes through the novel so the side characters do not get much coverage, but on the other hand, I think for the three main characters they are given more focus than works like Ouji and even OreImo.

Both OreImo and Ouji also have its serious element that has considerable weight
They attempt to have serious elements but fail in my eyes because they are shallow and have a nonsensical world with nonsensical characters.

Oh it is, the themes have a much more cynical view and not so much otaku pandering like the others you mentioned. But a good SoL with a really serious topic and characters and story is not really existent.
Haibane Renmei is probably the only one that I can think off, though that one is not a romcom.

Toradora is my personal favorite romcom and I judge everything based on it. Yahari fails to compete with toradora and other works similar to it (like Sakurasou, Hyouka, or even the more harem like shows like OreShura, OreImo or HenNeko).

On a different note though. I just had a hard time enjoying what was presented and even more so the characters.
Characters can be clever, or deep as much as they want, if they fail to entertain me with their personality they just become boring to watch, and exactly that is what Yahari was too me. Uninteresting boring characters doing boring things in a boring school setting with a boring presentation.

Orsonius said:

There is one thing that stands out for this work -- the character Hikki is a unique MC. You may not find him cool. I may not like his cynical and stubborn attitude. But you have to admit that such MC is rare, be it romcom or other genre. And the way it portrays cliques and hierarchy in classes is also not often seen in anime (live action drama may have more such topics, or so I heard). From what comments I read in Japanese forums, the portrayal rings true to quite many people. I think it is what draws in people, and take into account the average to above average production value and focus on the key characters, this becomes a popular acclaimed show. And as I said, real conclusion is not what the series meant to provide anyway (and not what people seem to mind either), so that is not much of a factor.
OrsoniusJul 2, 2013 4:24 AM
Jul 2, 2013 5:14 AM

Sep 2010
Ouch, the animation this episode was pretty bad. Oh well, it's just some side story anyway and it was fun in itself.
Hopefully we'll get a second season of this one sometime, it was quite enjoyable.
Pages (12) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Whats your fav character/s and why

NunoTheDudeYT - Aug 11

42 by LadyBrown »»
Sep 20, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 23, 2013

303 by Spookanimes »»
Sep 5, 2:40 AM

Poll: » Is the animation and artstyle of season 1 better than the other two seasons according to you?

G_Shan10 - Sep 7, 2021

32 by Chigi404 »»
Sep 2, 1:23 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2013

262 by Itachiunderwater »»
Aug 26, 7:29 AM

» Why Hikigaya is Gay ?

Inlighted0Varsh - Aug 8

49 by January_ »»
Aug 13, 1:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.