Forum Settings
Forums

Would You Name Your Child After An Anime Character?

New
Pages (30) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Jul 31, 2008 8:20 PM

Sep 2007
over288 said:
Son = V.V
Daughter = C.C
kthx
I wish those were legitimate names.

Sadly, even if you say no, chances are you probably will anyway since a lot of animes are starting to get more Western names, its just a matter of if you will reconize it or not.

But I would actually want to name my daughter Rena (Higurashi) if given the chance to
Jul 31, 2008 9:26 PM

Jul 2008
There are some names that I think sound pretty, but it would just be too weird to name my kid after a fictional character I like! XD
Jul 31, 2008 9:37 PM

Jul 2008
Pewdie said:
Son = Optimus Prime
Daughter = Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV, Edward

lolz

" I don't want to be remembered at all. That means I'm dead."-Yuri Orlov
"No martial art can defeat the divine teachings of Smith & Wesson"-4chan
Jul 31, 2008 10:27 PM

Jun 2008
Rena and Rika would be good names :) And I like Kanaria too
Aug 1, 2008 12:58 AM

Sep 2007
hirahira said:
Rena and Rika would be good names :) And I like Kanaria too
I dont think Rika would be a good name since it kinda borders between a "normal" and a "foreign name" a bit too much. Rena seems to be a more normal (if not common) name that people would be used to hearing
Aug 1, 2008 4:18 AM

Jun 2008
Yeah I have to say that I couldn't name my child after an anime character. Anime character names work very well with pets. I named my stray cat Rushuna (<-- from Grenadier btw; too damn short of a series, fanservice much d..o_0..b)
Aug 5, 2008 6:53 PM

Jun 2008
yes i would
Aug 5, 2008 11:13 PM

Aug 2008
I am guilty of this, I named my son Vash. I am not a fan of conventional names and trigun is by no means my favorite anime. I choose the name because it hard a good feel to it. I am also not imposing my habit on him. Although children do tend to take a interest in things there parents are interested in. I mean if a parent plays chess and the child wants to play chess with them that is how things like that happen.
Aug 6, 2008 3:30 AM

Sep 2007
I'd name a son something overly pompous-sounding like Manfred Maximilian Edward Sahl-Palmberg... xD

Nah, to be serious, I'd consider some names of anime characters if they're not Japanese.
Aug 6, 2008 11:20 PM

Jun 2008
Maybe I should name my kids Isaac and Miria after those two idiots from Baccano
Aug 6, 2008 11:37 PM

Jun 2008
role_model1984 said:
I am guilty of this, I named my son Vash. I am not a fan of conventional names and trigun is by no means my favorite anime. I choose the name because it hard a good feel to it. I am also not imposing my habit on him. Although children do tend to take a interest in things there parents are interested in. I mean if a parent plays chess and the child wants to play chess with them that is how things like that happen.

I'm back.
Aug 6, 2008 11:40 PM

Jun 2007
I'm going to name my future car Flying Pussywheels, after the Flying Pussyfoot from Baccano :D
Aug 7, 2008 2:41 AM

Oct 2007
i'd never give 'em funny/stupid names that would make my children feel embaressed or cause them problems such as being bullied ....but i do plan to marry some japanese cute guy so i guess a japanese name would just come natural ....and yeah then of course i would consider naming him after an anime character but not names like naruto or something like that ...lolz :3
Aug 7, 2008 2:58 AM

Oct 2007
yea i would but i cant think of a name now..

|Picture from Animepaper|
Aug 7, 2008 6:42 AM

Apr 2008
Nathan-the-Axe said:
role_model1984 said:

Captain Picard had a relationship with a woman named Vash. Very fitting.
Aug 7, 2008 6:59 AM

Aug 2008
I'd consider it, maybe not for a first name but a middle name.
Aug 7, 2008 7:11 AM

Aug 2008
I'd have to say no, just to spare them the extra grief for having me as a parent. XD Though, I guess there are some names that would work, but I wouldn't say I'd be naming my kid after the character, rather, just using the name because I like it.
Aug 7, 2008 7:45 AM
Nov 2007
haha maybeeee XD so tempted with the idea >.<//
but unless i marry someone jap most probably not ^^;
Aug 7, 2008 8:46 AM

Jan 2008
Sutiivu said:
Nathan-the-Axe said:
role_model1984 said:

Captain Picard had a relationship with a woman named Vash. Very fitting.

Vash?! serious!?

Aug 7, 2008 11:28 AM

Jul 2008
role_model1984 said:

" I don't want to be remembered at all. That means I'm dead."-Yuri Orlov
"No martial art can defeat the divine teachings of Smith & Wesson"-4chan
Aug 7, 2008 6:15 PM
Aug 2008
yes i would..i just came across this site as im looking for a baby name as we speeakkk!!! but i will be naming my baby bro or sis
and if its a boy his name will be Darien (got it from sailor moon american version)
a girls name is still pending!!

BUT, if I WERE to have children in the near future, i would like to name his sasuke too lmao as a middle name, but then again im not japanese so i wouldnt....

hmm but if i were to have a girl i would DEFINITELY name her Relena (gundam wing) because its similiar to my name. lol. i also like serena (sailor moon american version).

however, i would never really want to name my kid after a popular anime and especially if its in japanese....ex naruto, ichigo, inuyasha, gaara, syaoran, sakura....etc...

so i'm still looking for a girls name...a nice name....so far i have tifa (yes ff7! :P but unpopular choice lol), faith (i like cuz from the show buffy), sarah, paige, phoebe (yea charm :P), lacey (lacey chabert!), ariel (lil mermaid but was turned down lol), aahhh!!! lol
Aug 7, 2008 6:47 PM
May 2008
I would, it would just depend on the name. As long as its not rediculous for irl.
Other than that, i've heard some really nice ones on animes that I would consider.
Aug 8, 2008 9:01 PM
Aug 2008
maybe if i marry a japanese that would be reasonable.
pretty weird names may cause trouble like me being named Elle and writing my name as "L" my siblings always tease me "Loser" blah blah but i hav never been bullied and ppol in my school even thinks its pretty cool that i write my name as "L"

Japanese name Hana/Hannah is pretty common around the world though and i guess it doesnt really matter as long as it sounds good with the last name. so yea i would possibly do so.
LOLeePOPAug 8, 2008 9:06 PM
Aug 8, 2008 10:40 PM
Feb 2008
uhh no
Aug 8, 2008 10:49 PM

Sep 2007
Maybe

But not a japanese name because it doesnt fit with my last name xD but a derivated from English of German could be nice!

Kouta
Aug 9, 2008 9:02 AM

Aug 2008
Hell yeah! I would name my boy riku or sora!
Aug 9, 2008 2:02 PM

Mar 2008
uhhh... maybe or not
Aug 9, 2008 2:45 PM

Aug 2008
I would like to name my child Kira...don't try and stop me. Maybe Rei would do nicely
Aug 9, 2008 3:16 PM

Jun 2008
Yes I would definitly name my kid after an anime character if I wanted him/her to be bullied at school every day.(lmao)
Aug 9, 2008 3:38 PM

Jul 2008
I wouldn't probably name them something like "Kusuriuri" from Mononke, but I have considered naming my child (if I have one) "Lee" from naruto, or "Maggie" From ROD.
Aug 9, 2008 8:31 PM

Oct 2007
lol Yup and I'll make him/her dress like him/her too
Aug 10, 2008 8:00 PM

Jan 2008
I'd consider something like Illya (ALA Illyasviel von Einzberg - Fate/Stay Night), as it's a nice name, pretty normal and most people probably wouldn't know where its from or even realise it is from there if they heard it. Other things that'd be nice but I'd never give to a child would be Kirakishou or Mariko, as they don't sound western enough to fit in =P. Still not as bad as calling your kid Vegeta or something insane like that. Who the hell would want to be callled that O.o.
Aug 10, 2008 8:37 PM

Aug 2008
yes I named my son vash and to people who have no idea of trigun tend to really like the name.
Aug 10, 2008 9:08 PM

Jun 2008
role_model1984 said:

LOL @ ROLE MOEDEL1984 HE ALREADY POSTED THIS ON THE LAST PAGE XDDDDDDDDDDD
I'm back.
Aug 17, 2008 10:33 AM

Mar 2008
YES!
Aug 17, 2008 10:50 AM
May 2008
I wouldn't mind giving the child a Japanese name, but naming him/her "Naruto", "Sasuke" or "Lelouche" is just retarded. Naming your child after an anime character may seem cool for the first few months, but after that, you'll be hammering your testicles after you discovered you named them "Gendo" or some shit.
Aug 17, 2008 10:59 AM

Apr 2008
Maybe, but I rather not name them any weird names. Anyway, I won't be the only person alone to name my child >.>
Aug 17, 2008 11:10 AM

May 2008
I don't see why it would be a bad idea.
A lot of anime character have common real life names anyway.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 17, 2008 11:22 AM

Aug 2008
Well it depends what the name would be. I wouldn't go naming my child Chii or Ling Ling.
Aug 17, 2008 1:43 PM

Apr 2008
Probably not.. but who knows x)
Aug 17, 2008 1:47 PM

Mar 2008
Why not. But only if i live in Japan.

Aug 17, 2008 2:28 PM

Apr 2008
I would if I lived in Japan, cause a lot of anime characters have Japanese names. Here people would just pick on the poor kid....
Aug 17, 2008 2:30 PM

Aug 2008
Depends on who will talking about, and if the name's not too cheesy...
Aug 17, 2008 2:30 PM

May 2008
Japanese names being considered a bad thing is a sign of intolerance.
I think this is bullshit. And even if so, only more reason to do so.

I won't a strong kid who can think for him/herself.
Not hand them a conformist path with a common name, gender role, ect.

If someone doesn't like the Japanese name of my child, well then their opinion doesn't matter.

And again, I think this is bullshit in appliance to at least my country.
Maybe Japan is racist enough to really pick on someone for foreign names, but not the United States of America! We're nice here. And if anything, politically correct.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 17, 2008 3:19 PM

Aug 2008
i actually know some english people that have japanese names and i dont think its wierd... as long as its kinda easy to pronouce and not totally retarded for a actual human being (eg onigumo) then i dont see anything wrong with it.
but would i do it personally~ probs not XD
Aug 17, 2008 4:39 PM

Jun 2008
I guess, I wouldn't. This appears a bit strange to me. ^^
But I would name a pet after an anime character. =P
Aug 17, 2008 10:34 PM

Jun 2008
I wouldn't unless I adopted a child from Japan. Or if the name sounded normal here, like Edward, Allen, etc. But otherwise I wouldn't.
Aug 17, 2008 11:08 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, you gotta imagine the look on your spouce's face when you say "Naruto" or something...
Aug 18, 2008 2:47 PM

Jun 2008
If I EVER get married and have kids, I might name my son Edward, but that's more Twilight than FMA. I also think it would be funny to have twin daughters, or have them close in age and name them Kira and Elle XDD
Sep 4, 2008 1:28 AM
Sep 2008
I think it's feasible. In fact, in the future it might even become a trend, and our ideas of what should be and should not be a name would be replaced by new understandings of what a name is.

Understandably, there are very weird anime names, but there are some palatable ones that can be feasibly named for a newborn baby. In fact, there are non-Japanese anime names, and they are already in usage. Of course, the intention behind the name is not related to anime, but the fact that these names already abound means they are already acceptable.

I live in the Philippines, a country that is relatively saturated with anime, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone with an anime name, say, "Syaoran Matibag," becomes a high-ranking politician. Neither would I be surprised if a future Chief of Staff of the Philippine military is named, say, "Lacus Agbayani."
Pages (30) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Looks like mecha anime's are dead. RIP, giant robots. ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

87 by RobertBobert »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Have you ever felt disappointed by a series thinking it was tagged incorrectly?

rohan121 - Apr 7

28 by RobertBobert »»
27 minutes ago

» Aniplex is teasing something for tomorrow

Old_School_Akira - Yesterday

10 by Zarutaku »»
28 minutes ago

» What is the BEST anime?

doctor - Yesterday

47 by Boogiepop1989 »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you enjoy video-game elements in fantasy/isekai anime?

Shizuna - Yesterday

37 by DarkShame2 »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.