Forum Settings
Forums

Forum: Member/Forum Ranks/Nicknames by Posts [Closed]

New
Jun 21, 2007 8:33 PM

Apr 2007
Well i was wondering about giving members their member ranks.

Like someone who just got registered and signed in. His rank is junior member

Someone who hav posted more than 1000 Forum Posts and more then 50 comments then he is a senior member.

well doing this will definitely increase competition between members^^;

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.

Update here.
_Ghost_Jan 15, 2016 3:12 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 21, 2007 8:40 PM

Nov 2004
that would have to be after the spam section gets cut off from post counts ^^
Jun 21, 2007 9:37 PM

Aug 2006
Aokaado said:
that would have to be after the spam section gets cut off from post counts ^^

I agree
Jun 21, 2007 10:29 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Yeah, we could think about that after we got enough votes in the Not counting posts in the Spam Forum topic. :)

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 22, 2007 3:01 AM

Jan 2005
and if this happens then im pretty close to getting out from forums. Postcounts is first thing to elitism (more posts somehow better), and after that it comes to member ranks from postcounts, and its a forever going competition for postcounts who has most and is the "highest member", and that ruins community, new members won't join the forum that easily.

IMO just take the postcount away, and determine user rank from anything else BUT postcount. total of everything that has to do with improving the community but posts/comments as those are very easily spammed everywhere.

database submissions to anime/characters and My Submissions, total from those (how active you are to help MAL grow into better site database-wise) would be best way to allow competition because this would be a carrot to make users add data to database. IMHO this should count and not posts. Remove the damn postcount :<
Truly yours, Arinohyoshi

~ Join the SOL Brigade Today! ~ Save our World by Overloading it with Lolis! ~
Jun 22, 2007 3:12 AM

Oct 2006
cyruz said:
Yeah, we could think about that after we got enough votes in the Not counting posts in the Spam Forum topic. :)
KayrhandrosJun 22, 2007 3:16 AM
Jun 22, 2007 3:14 AM

May 2007
Umm how about giving the ranks according to how much anime they have watched
Jun 22, 2007 3:15 AM

Apr 2007
Arinohyoshi said:
and if this happens then im pretty close to getting out from forums. Postcounts is first thing to elitism (more posts somehow better), and after that it comes to member ranks from postcounts, and its a forever going competition for postcounts who has most and is the "highest member", and that ruins community, new members won't join the forum that easily.

IMO just take the postcount away, and determine user rank from anything else BUT postcount. total of everything that has to do with improving the community but posts/comments as those are very easily spammed everywhere.

database submissions to anime/characters and My Submissions, total from those (how active you are to help MAL grow into better site database-wise) would be best way to allow competition because this would be a carrot to make users add data to database. IMHO this should count and not posts. Remove the damn postcount :<

I agree with this guy :D
Maybe posts in the anime database submissions could count as well. But I think having submissions dictate a users level would be a lot better than having post count dictate it.
Jun 22, 2007 3:30 AM

Jan 2005
post count doesnt prove anything, expect that you post more or less than someone else, it doesnt prove that even if you OVER NINETHOUSAND!!!1 posts that any of those is actually helpful in any way. prizing spammers with member rank is just stupid. Let the things that really count as useful to be prized with ranks. thats how its supposed to work.
Truly yours, Arinohyoshi

Jun 22, 2007 3:33 AM

Aug 2006
The_Shadow said:
well doing this will definitely increase competition between members^^;

Competition?!? O_o For post counts? I don't see the purpose.
Jun 22, 2007 3:59 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I have been on a lot of forums. And they all had/have ranks representing how many posts they made. But it was just a secondary, additional information. A rank won't be written in Font Size 72 and bold letters above your username.

Devil said:
Umm how about giving the ranks according to how much anime they have watched

I believe this has already been discussed, correct me if I'm wrong. The number of anime entries / completed shows should be enough for that. Also not everyone can watch as much as they want to, even though they might be bigger fans of it than ppl who can watch anime all day but aren't as dedicated.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 22, 2007 4:09 AM

Apr 2007
ok then how about if he write more then 10 or 20 suggestions OR watch more then 200 animes. then he can be a senior member. well this is better then posting 1000 Forum Posts and more then 50 comments.
Jun 22, 2007 10:14 AM

May 2007
I hate ranking systems. It creates artificial competition and unnecessary popularity contests. I wouldn't leave the site if this was implemented, but I don't put one user over another based on their post count/rank/pageviews/friends list/etc. That's just stupid. And it's pointless to encourage it.
Jun 22, 2007 12:43 PM

May 2007
After reading all these posts i think there is no better way to determine the rank they should have so it would be better if the members can give them a unique rank for each of them themselves which can be edited on the profile

hmmm this sucks i think its better the way it is now or could consider the opinion above now i don't really care
Jun 23, 2007 8:29 AM

Jan 2005
Devil said:
After reading all these posts i think there is no better way to determine the rank they should have so it would be better if the members can give them a unique rank for each of them themselves which can be edited on the profile

hmmm this sucks i think its better the way it is now or could consider the opinion above now i don't really care

Causes a problem because there is some five thousand plus users and im sure Xinil doesnt want anyone using a Rank "Owner" or anything. Even though when noticed it would be gotten rid of pretty fast.

If there should be a Rank System, in my opinion it should be decided by how much you help the site by submissions/suggestions/reviews.
Truly yours, Arinohyoshi

Jun 23, 2007 8:51 AM

Mar 2005
Xinil has stated a while ago that he won't be allowing users to input their own ranks.
Jun 24, 2007 9:34 AM

May 2007
Arinohyoshi said:
Devil said:

Causes a problem because there is some five thousand plus users and im sure Xinil doesnt want anyone using a Rank "Owner" or anything. Even though when noticed it would be gotten rid of pretty fast.

If there should be a Rank System, in my opinion it should be decided by how much you help the site by submissions/suggestions/reviews.

ok now this is a better idea
Jun 24, 2007 10:19 AM

Mar 2007
ScrumYummy said:
I hate ranking systems. It creates artificial competition and unnecessary popularity contests. I wouldn't leave the site if this was implemented, but I don't put one user over another based on their post count/rank/pageviews/friends list/etc. That's just stupid. And it's pointless to encourage it.
Jun 24, 2007 10:34 AM
Jul 2006
ranks really arnt important
Jul 26, 2007 5:50 AM

Jul 2007
stoneblade said:

Well, the presence of ranks tends to lead to elitism and spamming in some forums so I can understand why many people are against the idea. However, I think that having ranks can be a good thing given that the implemented system is not prone to abuse and users are actually willing enough to be responsible members of the community.

For example, instead of basing it on automatic point systems (# of posts, reviews, anime watched, etc.), we could use something similar to the recognition system at animesuki. That is, you will only get points if people think that your actions truly contribute to the growth of the community and are worthy of recognition. Upon reaching a certain rank, these users might then be given privileges such as the permission to edit series information directly since their past records would show that they are trustworthy contributors. While many people wish for power and popularity, I don't think that it's a bad idea to allow people to give recognition to those whom they think are really deserving.

I am aware that this scenario might seem too idealistic for some but I'm just trying to be the devil's advocate here. =P
YuunagiJul 26, 2007 5:54 AM
Jul 26, 2007 6:17 AM

Apr 2007
I agree with alot of the "ranking" = "elietism"

I say nay on this.
Jul 26, 2007 6:20 AM

Jan 2005
stoneblade said:
Jul 26, 2007 9:19 AM

Jan 2007
No, this would definitely be a situation for elitism to take place, as everyone said.
I personally know at least one person who would go crazy trying to get the highest rank and then brag about it.

I agree with the 'make contributions to the site' idea.

Aug 21, 2007 11:33 PM

Jul 2007
I believe there have been a few suggestions about member ranks based on how many posts in the forum they make, but this wouldn't be the case XD;;

i was thinking... maybe member ranks based on how much anime we've listed?

for example...
0-20 anime listed would rank someone as "anime fan"
20-50 anime listed would rank someone as "otaku"
50-100 anime listed would rank someone as "mega otaku"
100-200 would be crazy otaku @_@
etc...
[i'd come up with a better term than "otaku", but i'm just giving an example ^^;]

it'd also be cool to put those ranks not only in the profile, but under people's avatars on the forums~! [not everyone clicks on each others profiles >_<;]

your thoughts?
Aug 21, 2007 11:42 PM

Oct 2006
I dunno if I'm for it or not, but it's certainly much better than rankings based on post count.
Aug 21, 2007 11:49 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
I was actually thinking about ranks based on "how long a person has been a member on MAL".
Aug 21, 2007 11:51 PM

Jan 2007
Xinil said:
I was actually thinking about ranks based on "how long a person has been a member on MAL".

I like this idea a lot, actually. ^^

Aug 22, 2007 12:28 AM

Oct 2006
The only problem there is that peoples' ranks will continue to increase regardless of whether they even visit the site and/or watch any anime. And since there's already a join date under each person's avatar, it seems a little redundant to me. Still much better than post count though.
Aug 22, 2007 1:29 AM

Feb 2007
Prehaps it should be a combination of
1. amount of anime + manga (and maybe reviews etc?)
2. time logged in and being active on site
and
3. join date
Aug 22, 2007 3:43 AM

May 2007
I agree with selective yellow's idea it has a more appropriate conditions on how to rank the members....especially items #2 and #3

Mess with the BEST and die like the REST !!

Aug 22, 2007 5:13 AM

Mar 2007
And i sort of bring up the question why member ranks would be important for a site like this. I know that we human beings adore ranking stuff, but still....
Aug 22, 2007 5:29 AM

Jul 2007
A site like this seems to be all about statistics... and discussing anime of course.
So rankings would fit right in there, in my opinion at least.
Aug 22, 2007 5:38 AM

Apr 2007
Zirgo said:
And i sort of bring up the question why member ranks would be important for a site like this. I know that we human beings adore ranking stuff, but still....

to be able to say your better then someone. At least that is how they are used on most sites.
Aug 22, 2007 5:58 AM

Aug 2006
Zirgo said:

QFT. Why? We all agree (well most of us) that ranking based on post count is ridiculous...

...then based on amount of anime listed... well... Joe may have been watching for 10 years, whereas I only discovered anime a year ago... so Joe's list will be 10 times as big as mine... does that mean he gets a higher rank?

...then hmmm... how long you log into MAL or active (i.e. reviews, suggestions, etc)... well... some of us are students... some of us work... some of us have jobs where we can get online... some of us don't... some have nothing to do at night but anime and MAL... some have families to feed or second jobs... or night school... again... I think this is an unfair way to rank...

...how long we've been a member of MAL... well... some people have been members for over a year, but only use the list...

...Basically, I completely disagree with the whole concept of ranking...
Aug 22, 2007 6:17 AM

Jul 2007
Ranking is just a title, it's not really that important. It's only something interesting to look at, I think. Like the points in Who's Line is it Anyways?
Aug 22, 2007 6:18 AM

Apr 2007
^ meaning we dont really need it in the first place.
Aug 22, 2007 6:20 AM

Jul 2007
You are right, it's just as needed as the random anime in profiles. It's just something interesting to look at.
Aug 22, 2007 6:22 AM

Apr 2007
No its something 'interesting' by which to seperate and segregate the community. That is what titles do. I know I have seen it happen on many other sites. Lets be different and not have a ranking system. I mean, if its pointless. and can be used just too cause members to differetiate between eachother, then I think its better it not be in place.
Aug 22, 2007 7:25 AM
Jun 2007
Zirgo said:

bragging rights ;)
Aug 22, 2007 7:48 AM

May 2007
Xinil said:

No no no, please don't. They did that on Suicide Girls, and there was so much elitism and importance put on people's rankings, and how long they had been a member. And if a person had been a member since a certain date, people would butt-kiss to them and things like that...it was awful.

I'm sticking to my guns that member ranks are a horrible idea. They breed elitism and petty differences, no matter what you're ranking.
Aug 22, 2007 7:50 AM

Mar 2007
Raja said:
Zirgo said:

bragging rights ;)

True it would be bragging in the end. Since the ranks themselvs wouldn't add to the functionality of the site, but then I'm wondering, why wathcing alot of anime/reading manga would be something huge to brag about? Why wouldn't it be enough to just say that you and I are two people who both appreciate the same thing and can enjoy it for what it is. In a way we are a selected group and there are many people out there who can't/won't understand what it means to watch anime/read manga. You can't brag to those people because they wouldn't understand it. So that means bragging in here, but I would rather be more happy to talk to you if I notice that we share 4 special anime titles together, then seeing that you are ranked the "Uber general" and thus you would understand more about anime but you haven't seen these 4 special anime titles.

So in the end titles wouldn't mean a thing between two people and thus I can't see the point of having it on this site.
Aug 22, 2007 8:01 AM
Jul 2007
I like the idea of basing it on the anime list...

As for how it's affecting the site, don't forget that the current slogan is and has been "How much anime have you seen?"

:o
Aug 22, 2007 8:03 AM

Apr 2007
accela said:

As for how it's affecting the site, don't forget that the current slogan is and has been "How much anime have you seen?"

True it however isnt: "How much anime have you seen? Is that it? Thats all you have seen? ****ing Newb, GTFO!"
Aug 22, 2007 8:20 AM

Apr 2007
Sandgolem said:
accela said:

True it however isnt: "How much anime have you seen? Is that it? Thats all you have seen? ****ing Newb, GTFO!"

I thought I'd laugh till I died after reading this.

But I'm also opposed to titles. I can only see titles working as an instigator to unnecessary arguments.

Aug 22, 2007 8:33 AM

Jul 2007
*adds "become intelligent" to his to-do list* O.o
Aug 22, 2007 8:49 AM

Mar 2007
Sandgolem said:
No its something 'interesting' by which to separate and segregate the community. That is what titles do. I know I have seen it happen on many other sites. Lets be different and not have a ranking system. I mean, if its pointless. and can be used just too cause members to differentiate between each other, then I think its better it not be in place.

Basically my thoughts, the rank system while it could have that 'interesting' effect, would only in the end divide the community Xinil has brought up which wouldn't be very fun...
Chelle said:

QFT. Why? We all agree (well most of us) that ranking based on post count is ridiculous...

...then based on amount of anime listed... well... Joe may have been watching for 10 years, whereas I only discovered anime a year ago... so Joe's list will be 10 times as big as mine... does that mean he gets a higher rank?

...then hmmm... how long you log into MAL or active (i.e. reviews, suggestions, etc)... well... some of us are students... some of us work... some of us have jobs where we can get online... some of us don't... some have nothing to do at night but anime and MAL... some have families to feed or second jobs... or night school... again... I think this is an unfair way to rank...

...how long we've been a member of MAL... well... some people have been members for over a year, but only use the list...

...Basically, I completely disagree with the whole concept of ranking...

It would also be bound to be biast towards some party in end which can't achieve a higher rank due to some factor or another

Dibs on Ishida!
Aug 22, 2007 9:07 AM

Oct 2006
I could've sworn I already replied to this, but I'll post it again since I don't see it here.

After giving it some thought, I'm still against member titles. Even though basing them on anime list stats and such is an improvement, it still doesn't really add anything of value to the site. The only way I think I'd be in favor of such a feature is if the members were all free to choose their own custom title in their profile rather than recieving one based on some statistic. That said, I still don't really think it'd be worth whatever work necessary to add that feature.
Aug 22, 2007 9:44 AM

Mar 2007
I think we can conclude that most people (here on MAL) don't really feel like having a ranking system. The original topic suggests doing a ranking system based on anime(/manga) titles. Funny though, since we have something like this, but I guess it's not really seen as a "ranking". On the profile page we all have a part with graphs. The color of those graphs can be considered as a rank and the length your progress to the next rank. So the question is if Xinil can be bothered to give the combined result a name....

Obviously, a ranking system based on post counts are out of the question. Xinil's idea to base it on time spend on MAL (pretty much like Gamefaqs' system, where you get a point for each day you log on to the site) feels (IMHO) too similar to post counts. Even though you can't increase your "points artificially", you can't deny it's still about creating elitism.

I think however that if people really do "need" ranks, can't we just award them on certain events? The people who are admin/mods already have a rank. We can also award ranks to people who win FAL or the MAL awards. Maybe we can also make more events in the future, and add more kinds of ranks (how about awarding the person who wrote the best review/news article?).
I feel that people that won something like the MAL awards do deserve a few bragging rights (all within certain bounds of course). ;)

Oh and Chelle (yeah, kinda late reply....), I'm sorry, but your post didn't really make sense (to me). It just seems that (as you said) you just don't like ranking systems at all, and that (might) make you confused on how to look at them.
If Joe joined 5 days ago and compiled his entire list worth of 10 years of watching in MAL, he would probably have maxed out graphs on his profile page. If there would be rank based on that, he'd indeed get a higher rank than you. Is that bad?
I guess it would if he'd brag about it, but the situation is hardly different with or without ranks atm. And I do agree that ranks in general aren't really things that should be on MAL.
I still love you though. *hugs* ^^
Aug 22, 2007 9:49 AM

Apr 2007
I think she might be saying that because of joe having 10 years of anime under his belt he can look down on other people, espically if he has a shiny new title to go with each of his posts. It may sound unlikely or stupid but I have seen this on may other sites. (abiet with things other then anime.)
Aug 22, 2007 9:59 AM

Mar 2007
well like I said:
boursk said:
Is that bad?
I guess it would if he'd brag about it, but the situation is hardly different with or without ranks atm.

But thank god we have people like Faust here, who have seen loads (you can never watch too much right? XD ) of anime and still remain cool and modest. ^^

edit: I always wanted to post before/after you ever since I got myself a SZS avatar and sig. XD
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Change favorite pictures

Tsunamii_ - May 18, 2023

7 by TheeAnimeGod »»
2 hours ago

» Why Current Events should come back

GoatPieceLuffy - May 27

45 by DigiCat »»
Yesterday, 1:41 AM

» Comment section for individual Interest Stacks

MagicFlier - May 30

0 by MagicFlier »»
May 30, 9:43 PM

» Is the database algorithm fair?

Lucifrost - May 30

0 by Lucifrost »»
May 30, 9:36 PM

» Add a link to manga entry in Manga Store when store is not available

bozal19 - May 30

0 by bozal19 »»
May 30, 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.