Forum Settings
Forums

So it's cool to be a "socially inept otaku"?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Aug 8, 2012 8:35 AM

Apr 2012
I don't get this~

Are you saying people actually pretend to be socially awkward???
BUT WHY WOULD ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WANT TO DO THAT?
(I mean..If I were to pretend to be someone I'm not, I'd pretend to be a hot, popular girl! Not make myself look worse... That's just..wrong.)

1) I don't get why people brag about being an otaku. IT'S NOT GOOD. It's actually saying: "Hey! I'm obsessed in (this case) anime to the extent that I stay in my room alllll day to watch it and I don't give a damn about my real life anymore. Ciaossu~"

2) I agree that there are times when people who love anime tend to be socially inept. But that doesn't mean people who aren't socially inept should pretend to be like that just so they could justify their love for anime!

3) People like that should just be ignored. We don't know if they're faking or not anyway. But if it's obvious, then they're not really fooling anyone. They can look stupid and weird by themselves if they want. Let them be what they want to be. They're the ones looking bad - not us.

Sorry, I had to number my thoughts. They were all coming out at once and I didn't know how to combine them all into one long paragraph. Haha. Anyway, I hope people will stop doing immature things like this..Not like they're bothering the whole MAL community but whatever.
EllyseyAug 8, 2012 8:42 AM

[G]areki && [G]oggles && [G]uns are
[© Touya Mikanagi || respectful creators]

Aug 8, 2012 9:20 AM

Jun 2012
How is it cool to being socially awkward I don't get it, do people think its cute or something.Maybe there just trying to get sympathy points or fit in to a group of people who are actually socially awkward like in this case otaku.
No matter where you go, everyone's connected.
Aug 8, 2012 10:53 AM

Sep 2011
Use will eventually modify the word and otaku will come to mean anime fan in English.
I honestly don't care about people calling themselves that. I'm no language elitist.
Aug 8, 2012 11:27 AM
Feb 2012
Isn't Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai(Or the simpler "Haganai") relevant in this discussion?
Aug 8, 2012 1:01 PM

Jul 2012
i don't get the chicks and gaming reference. are u saying chicks who play games suck so they have to go "oh ooops! i'm a giiirl!" when they screw up?

if thats what u think then i poo on you, i hate it when i get on vent with some guy and he goes all googly

i'm a female gamer and proud of it. and oh yah, i don't suck at it!

** srry if this has been covered, this is a long ass thread and my attn span is withering
Aug 8, 2012 1:27 PM

Mar 2012
daintybiscuit said:
i don't get the chicks and gaming reference. are u saying chicks who play games suck so they have to go "oh ooops! i'm a giiirl!" when they screw up?

It can't be the first time you've heard this?

99.9% of the time guys always think girls suck at things like games, it's always been like that.

the reality is that girls are just as good as guys, the only difference is that there are a lot less girls playing, so there are a smaller number of good girl gamers compared to good guy gamers, but alot more equal % wise.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 8, 2012 1:42 PM
Feb 2012
NicoleB said:
daintybiscuit said:

99.9% of the time guys always think girls suck at things like games, it's always been like that.

the reality is that girls are just as good as guys, the only difference is that there are a lot less girls playing, so there are a smaller number of good girl gamers compared to good guy gamers, but alot more equal % wise.

I'm not sure how true this is, everyone's potential is exactly the same when it comes to games, but I'm pretty sure there's tons of better male gamers than female gamers, even % wise.
Aug 8, 2012 1:46 PM

Apr 2011
I have no idea where you got the idea people think it's cool to be a socially inept otaku... they probably legitimately feel like outsiders to so-called "normal" people because of their unorthodox love of anime and manga or Japanese culture or whatever their obsession (because it's not just anime fans that feel like this) happens to be.

But I don't know what goes through their minds, all I know is people that let anime influence their behaviour (people who use Japanese words in every day conversation, or own a ton of anime related merchandise or constantly talk about their 2D crushes) are extremely annoying in real life. I've had some of these people latch on to me when they discover I like anime too and I hate it and tell 'em to fuck off because they are too annoying.

The way you describe it happening, it sounds like a contest between extreme anime fans on this site, lol. Kind of like those pity-seeking people that always try to make their lives sound more horrible than the last person.
Aug 8, 2012 3:08 PM

Jul 2012
Aero-Mach said:
NicoleB said:
daintybiscuit said:

I'm not sure how true this is, everyone's potential is exactly the same when it comes to games, but I'm pretty sure there's tons of better male gamers than female gamers, even % wise.

pretty sure, eh? yah i got canadian family. whats your opinion based on? i'd like to hear some hard numbers and not "all the girls in my raid blow chunks!"
Aug 8, 2012 7:54 PM

Feb 2012
Just Westerners misusing a term that I don't think should be applied to anyone who does not have an obsession on par with that of the pictures of otaku rooms that have been linked to in this thread. Being socially inept has nothing to do with it. I myself am American, and I spend most of my free time watching anime, reading manga, and playing video games, and some of my friends would say I'm obsessed, but I am not even remotely close to the otaku level. I own almost no anime/manga-related merchandise, but I can safely consider myself a fan.

I will admit though, I do feel like an otaku compared to everyone else I meet at college. Honestly though, I think otaku is a word best left to the Japanese. I'm sure there are otaku outside of Japan, but we just throw the word out there left and right, so it's lost its meaning to us.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Aug 9, 2012 1:07 AM

Mar 2012
Aero-Mach said:

You're wrong.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 9, 2012 1:26 AM

Jul 2008
Aero-Mach said:
NicoleB said:
daintybiscuit said:

You guys are going at this all wrong... but I'm not gonna correct you, cuz I don't feel like it.
Aug 9, 2012 5:24 AM

Feb 2010
They fucks up the air current.

Ciguatera
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.