Forum Settings
Forums

Last anime you watched >>> Rate + Mini-Review/Thoughts

New
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »
Nov 30, 2010 1:58 PM

Apr 2010
A note: It isn't populer, so I guess most of you won't like it. But, well...

Generes: Historical (It happans at 1937), Drama, School. Counts as shoujo.

Meine Liebe (My love) - 8/10
Orpherus (Orphe), Edward/Eduard (Ed), Naoji, Ludwig (Lui) and Camus learn in Rozenstolz academy in a imaginary country which is called "Kuchen". (Just you'll know, it mean Cake in German). They are part of a group called "Strahl class" which is (As said in Wikipedia) "a class for potential candidates for the advisory positions in the royal palace".

Each one came from another background, but all of them are part of nobility. The main conflict is between Orphe and Lui, who have two different ideologies. But when it's necessary, they cooperate. (Doesn't really happen).

Meine Liebe Wieder (My love again) - 8/10
The next season of Meine Liebe (That's why I wrote both). Don't read it if you didn't see the first season. The review is not enough.

My opinion:
Most of you are going to say I have no taste, and what the hell am I watching it. Believe or not, I enjoyed it. It shows that even nobility has difficulties, relationships between people, people way of seeing things (Ideologies, but not only political). It also teach how behave as a person.

Of course, there are annoying charcters, as apathetic Ludwig (In my opinion), but well you can't love everyone.

If you read until now and wondered about the name:
Sorry to tell so soon, you won't find any romance there (You could guessed it from the 2nd line anyway). This anime (and its manga) are based on a Japanese game named "Meine Liebe" (My love), which you choose a charcter (One of the heroes there, as one can tell without playing it) and try to start a romantic relationship. This what the love about.
EfiChanNov 30, 2010 2:05 PM

Nov 30, 2010 5:03 PM

Jul 2010
Kite and Kite: Liberator

Kite (9/10)
Interesting story and characters, nice animation, lots of bloody violence and graphic sex, and some of the best shootouts I've seen in an anime made this severely underrated cult classic worth a look.

Kite: Liberator (6/10)
Disappointing. While the animation is good, the whole sci-fi / monster element was a big turn-off for me. Riddled with plot holes and one of the worst cliff-hanger endings I've seen since Umineko. It just didn't feel like Kite. The only things that made up for it was some fairly decent action and art style. It's not bad, but it could've been a lot better.
Nov 30, 2010 9:56 PM

Nov 2010
Full Meta Panic? Fumoffu

I'll give this a 9/10. It was hilarious throughout and had some nice moments with Sousuke and Kaname. Certainly worth-watching for FMP fans.
Dec 1, 2010 2:53 AM

Dec 2009
Paprika (10/10)

One of the best psychological thrillers I've seen, very funny movie and very well made. It's one of the few anime movies where the story fits in the 2 hours it was released without leaving blank spaces or anything unsolved.
Dec 1, 2010 6:12 AM
Oct 2009
Baka to test to shokanju (7/10)

Jokes were funnier than I expected. All characters were fun to watch though I didn't like the battle scenes. Story was simple but straightforward enough for a comedy. It's incomplete but I'm looking forward to the second season.
The window, the window shopping! Hooo!
Dec 1, 2010 7:33 AM

Jun 2010
angel beats (9/10)

about guy An amnesic wake up and finds himself in World of post-death . Meet people with the same condition-but they're not An amnesic- And trying to make up all lost in their previous lives....

really affective also shorty , I love it ...
Dec 1, 2010 8:28 AM

Nov 2009
K-ON!!(8/10)

I finished this around a week ago, and I still can't believe how much the characters have grown on me throughout the course of the this season. As slice-of-life is generally one of the genres I'm rather apathetic to, the fact that I generally enjoyed the whole show is a testament to how lovable the characters were and how much I liked seeing their interactions play out. The other thing I will remember the series fondly for is for it's concerts, and though I would definitely would have preferred to see more of them, I was pretty satisfied with the number of them Kyo-ani managed to pack into this season. Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone who doesn't abhor moe and is not an elitist who can't watch anything without a complex plot.
Dec 1, 2010 11:59 AM

Dec 2009
Ef ~ a tale of memories: 8/10

In general, i kinda liked the anime. The graphics are really pretty & i enjoyed a lot in the beggining. But after a few episodes, i started to think it was 'too much'. The black and white, draw-look, i got a little bored. The story is nice & sad, everyone's worried about their memories, which was a pretty good theme. But i'm not sure if i like the characters. Chihiro made me feel weird, i felt sorry for her but sometimes she just scared me with all the thoughts. Miya is the best one, i guess, she's kind annoying sometimes but we can't judge her after everything she's been through. Kei is sellfish, her sister got hurt because of her & she tried to make Miya go away, even though Miya was doing what Kei always wanted and didn't have courage enough to do it. The boys were okay. Himura was pretty good, always trying to follow his dreams & the other boy, Renji, has a strong personality and it was pretty cool what he did, trying to help Chihiro. He was truly strong and i'm saying that 'cause I, myself, wouldn't be able to do something like that & live with someone like her, would be too painful. At least it was a happy ending.
Dec 1, 2010 1:56 PM

Aug 2010
Ugh, there are 666 replies before, haha! Anyway...

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 - 9.5/10
Any anime that is on my list scored '10' isn't perfect...actually there wasn't any anime that could make me give them a clear 10 until now, however, there are animes that are going towards the score. Code Geass R2, sequel to Code Geass, features the same fast-paced action that keeps you going from the first episode. To be frank, just like the first season, R2 was viewed through a marathon. The story is quite exciting, but nothing much to be said...as for the art, CLAMP's character style is easily seen in. The sound is quite great. The seiyus are doing their jobs and there are a couple of great songs. As for the characters, Lelouch clearly became one of my favorite characters. Maybe some will say that the whole holy-moly action and small-fried characters are dropping the story, not many could really give their lives in order to recreate the world into a better place. As for the entertainment...you can say it really entertained me, for keeping me rooted to my chair for almost 20 straight episodes haha!
Dec 1, 2010 2:20 PM

Aug 2010
I just saw the first DBZ film, and I dodn't care for it at all. I hope the next films are much better. Anyway, I much prefer the show.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Dec 1, 2010 3:37 PM

Nov 2010
Martian Successor Nadesico - 7.5/10

the plot was a little odd but not that bad, some decent comedy scenes, and a bit of decent romance. the art is ok, for its time. but i do feel they could have put a bit more effort into the action scenes and stuff. so ill give it a 7.5
Dec 2, 2010 10:27 PM

Aug 2010
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - High 7/10

Firstly i went into this thinking it was a kids show, a few whippings later and i could see that it wasn't, i was actually a little shocked at that. Anyway the plot was solid, if not a little overused. Tha characters were fine, not a fan of every character having a weird tuft of hair though. Anyway, i'll be watching the next seasons in the near future.
Dec 2, 2010 10:53 PM

Nov 2010
Full Metal Panic! - The Second Raid
8/10

Overall, I was highly impressed with the quality of this anime. Still on a high from the first and second season, I finished the third in about three days. The plot was great, being able to keep both the average slice of life and romance elements woven in, while still being able to add the dramatic fight sequences as well. The animation, while I'm not exactly an expert, was pretty great, and the soundtrack helped set the mood for whatever was needed during that period in time. I suppose the only complaint I would have, and is what most people seem to complain about, closure. However, I can look past that and still say that the entire FMP series is worth watching for any anime fan looking for some action, while still wanting some comedy as well.

Dec 3, 2010 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
9.5/10, rounded up to 10/10

tl;dr version since this is a mini review thread: Gankutsuou's an awesome show with great characters that will make you want to read a freakishly oversized book if you haven't already; go watch it! (While I'm at it, the Count's pretty sexy too if you're female and need any more reason to watch it. Never hurts. ;3)
------------
There She Is!!
8.5/10, rounded to a 9

Not sure why this Korean flash animation short's listed here, but I liked it a lot, so whatever. Anyway, I saw this in the top 100 series on MAL ratings-wise and decided to check it out. The first two episodes (and the third one too really) were mostly fluff. They were cute, enjoyable, and short enough to be worth a watch, but I was wondering why this thing got such a high score. Then the fourth one rolled around, the pace abruptly darkened, and I got an idea of what this was trying to say. Anyway, it turned out to be a really good, touching, and meaningful watch about interracial prejudice and romance complete with some really good music. In other words, in about 20 minutes, it wound up being better than a lot of long running anime rom-coms.
Dec 3, 2010 3:05 PM

Nov 2010
well i guess i wont waste my time watching the 2nd season then.kind of a let down tho.

i just finished the 1st season (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) i gave it a 9/10.
i was literally getting the chills from watching some scenes. it was very confusing at the beginning but all comes together nicely in the end. this anime was very well put together. i liked the art style alot. even the opening song went well with the whole horror theme. although it was kinda odd that they put some comedy into this anime considering on how dark the plot is. but yea if your looking for a good horror/mystery anime, check this one out.
Dec 3, 2010 4:19 PM

Aug 2010
Fullmetal Alchemist (10/10)

One of the best animes I have ever seen. It is funny, exciting, and overall has a great story. I am not very far in the series myself, but I immediately fell in love with it.
Dec 3, 2010 6:06 PM

Apr 2010
Working!! 8.5/10

Well, I went into it fully expecting not to really enjoy it that much... I just wanted something simple to watch. Generally when I try to watch slice of life anime, I drop it after a couple episodes or so... but Working!! suprised me quite a bit. It was fairly relate-able... As I too have known the horrors of small time restaurants... and the characters were pretty varied and interesting. It was actually pretty funny for a slice of life, something Minami-ke and K-on failed to grasp... but wasn't just a string of pointless humor, something Seitokai Yakuindomo was all too eager to do. All in all, it was probably the most enjoyable Slice of Life I've ever watched (aside from Haruhi... which I still don't really regard as a slice of life).
Dec 3, 2010 11:48 PM

Mar 2009
Tatakau Shisho - The Book of Bantorra

It was a great series. I really enjoyed every arc, though the last arc was probably my least favourite. It just lacked something vital which I can't quite figure out right now. I liked how the series delved into most characters and their past, which makes you understand more about them and learn more about them.

The OPs and EDs were good and fitted the series very well. I gotta say, I really liked the art too.
Dec 4, 2010 1:10 AM
Mar 2010
Cowboy Bebop: 5/10

I don't even know why I'm giving it a five anymore, it should be lower. I'm not enjoying the series. I don't like Ed, I don't really like any of the females on the show. I'm starting to wonder why anyone would take it over Samurai Champloo, maybe I'm not just suited for it. The space parts really are terrible, and it has some really boring parts overall. I guess it's a five because that it has some mildly amusing humor. Interesting plot lines, and overall good messages.

However, I will now be dropping this anime show.
Dec 4, 2010 3:45 AM

Apr 2010
Gakuen Heaven (10/10)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/850/Gakuen_Heaven

Mini-Review:
Ito Keita get ivention to be a student of "Bell Liberty" academy, only school boys that all his student have talent... But Keita has no talent at all. No one know who is the headmaster, who chose to let Keita to get in.
Keita meats the one from the next door, Endo Kazuki, who decide to welcome the new student and a lot of other characters.
But there are some people who don't love the fact that Keita learns in thi school.

Thoughts:
I think the score says it all XD Good art (?), good plot, and it makes a good work to make you wait to the next episode.

Warning: It's shonen-ai.

Dec 4, 2010 7:11 AM

Nov 2010
ef - a tale of memories 10/10

Liinah said:

The black and white, draw-look, i got a little bored.

please don't take this as critisism, but more of an explanation the way i seen it ^^ (will look into wich episode this was from and come back to it if u like)

so for me i rated it so high because for me it doesn't have to be perfect (as for perfect doesn't exist) for me this serie had it all :) it was jampacked with story eighter trough dialog or visual effects. i wonderd when starting this "is 12 episodes enough to tell the whole story let allone 2?" believe me it is hehe. i realy got the feeling the story writers captured all the emotion and toughts in the right way (how weird and scary they sometimes might be -> Shindou Chihiro) i also highly recomend this to the people who watched clannad (+after story) wich i also realy loved (rated it a 9) i also started the sequal "a tale of melodies" only seen 3 episode's when writing this so i think i will write a new mini-review on both ;-) as it allready digged into some things from memories
kickthebucketDec 4, 2010 7:31 AM
Dec 4, 2010 2:26 PM
May 2010
Yumeiro Pâtissière - 9/10

At the beginning I found the main character, the girl, quite annoying. It quickly became bearable though, and soon enough, after just 10-15 episodes, I learned to love the show. I think it's quite refreshing compared to other series, especially since it's about sweets. I really loved the atmosphere.. it's hard to describe it but it felt kind of magical. The four main characters are all very different but complements each other very nicely.

I was really not into the whole Spirits of Sweets at first, but you really learn to love the show. It does feel immature and childish a lot of the time.. but after having watched a lot of episodes I think of it as one of the charms of the show. Even though they use really cliché plot sometimes and even some characters, for the most time it's a really enjoyable family show. If I had to chose one word that symbolises my feelings for this anime.. then it would be "charming".

Basicily she, Amano Ichigo, is trying to become a patissiere after being encouraged by a famous patissiere to become one. With his recommendation, she enrolls in the famous culinary school, St. Mary Academy. Whilst life is not full of roses, she quickly become friends with the people in her team who she makes sweets with and enters a lot of cooking competitions together with her new friends.

If you enjoyed shows like Yakitate!! Japan and Cooking Master Boy then you should give it a try. I'm very glad that I did. The series started out as a rating of seven out of ten for me, but ended up with a rating of nine out of ten. It really pulled me in.

Kannagi - 7/10

I'm not going to write as much as I did for Yumeiro Patissiere here, but suffice it to say that it was an enjoyable watch. It definitely isn't a masterpiece and it wasn't great if you ask me. It was plain and simple a good anime. Some characters were great and unique, whilst some were very forgettable.

The story is very unique.. a boy meets a goddess out of nowhere, and after some period of time she coalesces in front of him and starts to live with him. That's one of the good points that the show has. I can't say I was a fan of the art or the character design, but I think that's mostly me. That being said, it wasn't horrible.

I found the comedy lacking and the overall content could've been better. But the plot started to develop, especially in the last episodes of the series. There are loads of better shows out there, and it's very overrated if you ask me. But despite its flaws, I still enjoyed watching it.. the show isn't bad. It's not like you're going to wish to get the time you spent on the series back afterwards.

It gets a solid rating of seven out of ten from me, which is just what it deserves.
Dec 4, 2010 4:22 PM
May 2010
Gintama - 9/10

There are anime I gave 9/10 for quality story. There are movies I gave 9/10 for superb presentation of brainless action that kept my adrenaline pumping. Then there's Gintama, the first visual medium of the comedy genre I ever gave a near perfect score to. Its comedic genius could easily be compared to the levels of South Park and, naturally, Simpsons.

At first, when I stepped into the world of Gintama, I wasn't expecting a comedy - probably the reason why my first laugh from it was louder than normal. From the poster and its name and its premise, I was expecting a cyber-punk Samurai kind of anime. And the first episode of the show kind of gave me the impression that action - not comedy - would be its main focus, too, and it would revolve round the very interesting plot-line that's the 'new-age' aliens invading the 'old-age' samurais.

Around 30 episodes later, that plot-line had long been digressed from. Hell, the screentime given to Amantos had declined to a minimum. First thought that came to my mind when I realized this was that the quality of the show might suffer due to this strange distancing of its main plot. Then, when taking all the quality comedy (smart comedy, too, not just fart-jokes) the show had brought me into consideration, how I was kept entertained episode after episode since Episode 20 without fail, the deviation from the original premise didn't really matter to me at that time. A good joke is good if it makes people laugh. And here, the joke's even better, being a smart joke with intelligent satire applied rather than just brainless parody.

Reaching about Episode 50 into the series, the show began to take a serious turn with the Benizakura-hen, along with many short stories of sentimental messages and lifelong lessons that followed after. Even though I stopped laughing throughout most of these moments, there's really nothing to complain about here. If anything, I want to praise it for how well it presented the typical 'shouen idealism' much better than many popular shounen anime, such as the likes of Fairy Tail or even FMA:B. Maybe it's just me, but the sentimental messages in Gintama felt more than just sentimental or heart-throbbing. Most of the serious themes presented in Gintama felt more realistic, or rather, practical than the more fantasized ideas of other shounen anime. This is satire at its best. This is shounen at its best.

And surprisingly, this is also recap at its best. Only after 74 episodes have I seen a real recap episode coming from Gintama. And even as a recap, it's done entertainingly, parodying the aspects of the typical boring recap episode of an anime.

Now at Episode 76 of the show, I just broke into the Yagyu Arc and I have to say, this rollercoaster ride is just getting more entertaining for me. If not for sleep and the daily routines, I could just sit here all day and be Gintamaed for days without getting bored. I know that the series had just recently came to an end early this year, but I'm hoping that a new season would come out and continue the neverending laughter that's Gintama. This is something that could be dragged long and forever and would still not get tiring, compared to the likes of One Piece or Naruto, especially.
Dec 4, 2010 8:40 PM

Jan 2010
Just rewatched all of Kino's Journey today. 10/10, without a doubt.
I put my thoughts on the series on my blog. But the bottom line is this is a really unique series that truly gives you something to think about. It will make you want to go on a journey!
Dec 5, 2010 12:32 AM

Mar 2009
Seitokai Yakuindomo

This was a really enjoyable series from start to finish though the last episode was disappointing. The dirty/sexual jokes in the series were funny and entertaining- I liked them. The characters were all likable in their own ways. The songs suited the series well.

Overall, it's a series which should definitely be given a try, unless you don't like dirty jokes revolving around sexual themes.
Dec 5, 2010 1:21 AM

Sep 2010
Clannad - 9/10

I put this anime off for a long time awhile back, and I'm very glad I picked it back up. I'm definitely going to get a start on After Story later today or maybe tomorrow.
InKensifyDec 5, 2010 1:32 AM
Dec 5, 2010 3:44 PM

Mar 2009
Glass Fleet-8/10

good characters and addictive/engaging story that always seems to be going somewhere, but thing are left unanswered, physics is given the middle finger, and the ending was a bit rushed and not really all that rewarding. I think the rest of the series makes up for it for me though.
Dec 5, 2010 8:55 PM

Sep 2010
Finished 2 and an OVA just now.

Ouran High School Host Club - 8/10
Enjoyed watching most of it.

Lucky Star - 9/10
Lots of Haruhi references, which were nice to see. I can definitely relate to Konata. Made me laugh quite a lot.

Lucky Star OVA - 9/10
The OVA was a very nice watch.
Dec 5, 2010 8:57 PM

Nov 2010
kickthebucket said:
ef - a tale of memories 10/10
also started the sequal "a tale of melodies" only seen 3 episode's when writing this so i think i will write a new mini-review on both ;-)

Ef - A Tale Of Melodies 10/10

like i said i would make a small review for both as they are kind of the same story.

why 10/10? well i gave it 10/10 because i just loved it, it's not perfect but what is ;)

one of the reasons i like them both is that if u only watch memories allmost everything get resolved at the end so i didn't have the feeling at the end that i needed to watch melodies to understand the story. and for melodies well you do need to see the first serie's because it's about people from it, if there are still answers from memories they will get cleared by this one (trying not to give any spoilers)

so my opinion:

if u liked clannad and H2o i'm sure you will like this as much as i did/do
Dec 6, 2010 9:53 AM
Nov 2010
Sora no Otoshimono 10/10

I gave the series a 10 since the story was really good and it actually had a good ending compared to many other anime's I've seen. There was way to many random scenes with "small Tomoki" and I weren't going to give it a 10 but the ending made me change my mind.
Dec 6, 2010 3:18 PM

Jun 2007
Innocent Venus: 7.5-8/10

There's something deeply satisfying about ordering a series, complete with an art box, for next to nothing - knowing sod all about it - and, after watching it, realizing I've found a gem. Even my most cold of hearts is warmed by the feeling of satisfaction that comes over me. And, in a sentence, I like Venus because it gives me that feeling.

I'm not going to lie: Venus has issues. Namely, because it's 12 episodes instead of 24/26, the story moved from point to point with next to no downtime for character developing purposes. It started with chasing, then moved onto the tried 'n tested 'Join as a crew member of my ship, if you want to live!' part many anime seem to feature and, finally, it ended with a battle to rescue the princess in need of a savior -- Venus' very own special girl in need of protection, who may very well hold the key to the future. (You know the drill.)

I don't know why, but from the Japanese perspective, it almost seems fated in the stars that the current world will all about come to an end in the near future for one reason or another. Then, robots will then arrive on the scene as the surviving rich abuse the poor who cling to life, obstinately. (And, of course, rebellion will soon follow.) Venus sticks very close to this grim future they foresee as traitors of the Japanese elite - known, originally enough, as 'Phantom' - flee with a girl the higher-ups are, for reasons unknown, VERY interested in. Pursuing soldiers are slaughtered by the two protectors of this mysterious girl in wonderful looking CG battles, and in-between the slaughtering, the mostly psychotic commando crew from Phantom close in on them.

The early section of the story, where Jin and Joe - the protectors of mystery girl Sana - deal with the lower-ranked military assaults and, on the side, their inevitably fearsome enemies deal with anti-terrorism missions in knife-licking style reminded me a little of Front Mission 3. You know how, in that GREAT S-RPG, two opposing elite mecha forces encounter each other throughout the story; having intense duels? Yeah - that's what I'm typing about. Because of the length, little is revealed about the enemy team, but more than enough craziness and viciousness is displayed to make you (well... me, anyway!) get hyped about the future episodes.

Without wanting to ramble further, I'll share with you why I liked Innocent Venus so much:

-- For one, it looked attractive and the movement was fluid throughout. When a series is heavy with the CG mecha action, what I don't want to see is stuttering, awkward looking toy-models moving about, and in Venus there was never a moment where I thought, "WHY DID YOU DO THIS, GONZO!?" Good job, Brains Base. (And, on a semi-related note, the mecha designs were simple but that added a touch of maturity not seen in Gundam. A multi-coloured red, blue & white mecha that's as tall as two houses is NOT stealthy!)

-- For two, the limited amount of episodes meant there wasn't time for me to be bored. Pretty much every episode had robots exchanging fire and what you typically expect to see when robots go to war, and filler wasn't present. This is SORT OF a negative because the side characters never got enough time to be truly memorable - the pirate captain's relationship with an enemy soldier in particular striking me as unsatisfying - and even some vital main plot/character issues never got explained. But, obviously, the flipside of this is that, unlike in most 20+ episode titles, I wasn't forced to endure 6+ pointless, fillerish episodes. The pacing reminded me of Kawajiri's approach to directing - only revealing enough to make people care/understand and then just getting on with it; no messing about.

-- For three, there's a twist in the tail that caught me out. As an anime fan experienced enough to make a list of the recycled content used to created the show, it impresses me a hell of a lot when something makes me go, "Wow, I didn't see that coming!" You could argue that the only reason the twist caught me was because of the lack of info/character development time, but I like to focus on the positive of me not predicting something episodes in advance. (There were a few big hints leading up to what happened, but nothing significant enough to make it glaringly obvious.)

If I were to be cynical, I'd suggest that the original intent was for the lack of development/unexplained bits of the plot to be excused by the length of the show. But I'm not. So, instead, I'll lament over the lovable and cute heroine not being allowed to grow out of her dependent shell, and Joe's reasoning for blindly following Jin's betrayal of Phantom - putting both issues down to Brains Base not wanting to ruin the series by forcing it into a needlessly lengthy 24/26 episode timeslot. Sometimes, it's best to be grateful for what you have, rather than desiring more.

Overall, Innocent Venus is one of the true underrated gems out there, and you'd be a fool not to give it your time. There are few more impressive TV anime out there visually, and the show has enough substance and character - as well as a pleasingly surprising twist - to satisfy most. Buying and marathoning it is what a smart person, such as myself, would do.

Next on my hit-list is Rocket Girls. Please, NO MORE PLANETES-ESQUE HEADACHES/CONFUSION!!!
Dec 6, 2010 11:31 PM

Sep 2010
Well, I watched Eden of the East last...but I watched the two movies back to back immediately after it, so here's my review for all 3 of them. BTW these quick reviews can also be found in my originial reviews. You can read em all here - ~CLICK~

Eden of the East

[ 1 MINUTE REVIEW ]

Eden of the East puts forward a superb concept: letting a bunch of people, with a ton of money, play a game to “save” their country. This creative story is very refreshing and has and the direction has a Hollywood-like feel to it. With such a mysterious plot and an amnesiac protagonist, this anime should be brilliant shouldn’t it? Well, it is, but not as brilliant as it COULD have been. Although overall, the anime is absorbing, poor characters, inconsistent pacing and logical inconsistencies prevent this anime from being a masterpiece. The animation, especially the detailed backgrounds, is fantastic and one of the best I have ever seen and reflects on the high production values. The OP was very cool, with a chic video and a solid English song, while the ED was good in its own right. The anime starts with a bang and ends with a much bigger and more satisfying bang. Sadly, the anime is quite disappointing in the episodes in between as the show tries to incorporate more genres like shojo and psychology into it and this leaves the viewer with a rather confused state of mind. And considering the whole show is only 11 episodes, this was a fatal mistake. The last few episodes were exhilarating, intelligent and were a smooth build up to the movies, but even these fantastic episodes are not enough to compensate for the irregular first half. Eden of the East is a show with so much potential, that on paper, it is a blockbuster, but in reality, it is quite a letdown. It’s a wonderful anime, make no mistake about that, but it’s just that it feels like winning 100$ in a 1,000,000$ lottery.

Eden of the East : The King of Eden

Eden of the East : Paradise Lost
Dec 6, 2010 11:38 PM

Mar 2009
To LOVE-Ru

It was an extremely disappointing watch. Heck, it was damn mediocre.
As an ecchi anime, the fanservice was tremendously badly done.
The characters were like any other character from any other series (well, some other series). Stereotypical.
Out of the 26 eps, there were only a few good ones. Like maybe, 5 good ones and the rest were crap- boring, dull, stupid etc.
The last few episodes were pretty bad too.
Overall, an anime you should skip.
Dec 20, 2010 11:26 AM

Aug 2010
Macross Frontier-10/10

Hmm...a perfect? Not quite. There are many errors that the producers got by hoping they would fill the gaps with something else...the beautiful sound of music. The story starts of where previous Macross stories(i think all of them, because I haven't seen them yet), where a great singer tries to unite the galaxy under one banner, the one of the protoculture, the one of music. The story isn't so complex but it can't be taken singularly as well. The story goes on par with the characterization. As many others have said(as i have read in the other reviews) every little space within the story gets used to develop the characters. But where is the problem? The ending...it was way too rushed ( I think the producers realized that they have like 3 episodes left to make at about episode 20, haha). For me it was a real disappointment the ending, really. But still, the score is high...why? Very simple; after realizing were is the story going, I just made myself comfy in my chair and listened to the beautiful tunes which accompanied the show (I even downloaded them;) The animation was slick as well. All in all, the rating is as high as it is because of the music. If you are looking for an action oriented anime, you might like it; if you are looking for a romance one, damn, even I who watched quite a lot of romances wasn't prepared for the ending; So, taking it chronologically, The anime was highly enjoyable, due to the music so it made me so hard-headed that I even let the ending ass by me.
Recommend to watch? Of course; No second words there; You might even try to marathon it! (I did it...)
Dec 27, 2010 12:05 PM

May 2010
Last one I completed was Kimagure Orange Road: Summer's Beginning-8/10

kanon-chanDec 28, 2010 1:14 PM
Dec 27, 2010 5:24 PM

Nov 2010
lot's of people would think why is he reviewing older anime, well i just started this season with watching anime on a regular basis (got tired of fillers in both bleach and naruto)
so on with the mini review for -sola-

Story 10/10 very good story and for me some nice suprises during the whole anime

Art 9/10 faces sometimes looked like triangles but further than that i won't complain haha

sound 9/10 some nice soothing songs allong the right moments make all the difrence everywhere.

character 10/10 good characters and i realy loved the female lead from the first time i'd seen here also other chars have good strong characteristics.

enjoyement 10/10 for me it was realy what i was looking for (ef, angel beats!, clannad, etc.) when i started it i couldn't sleep untill i finished it (pulled an allnighter again)

overal 10/10 if u liked clannad, angel beats and other simular anime and haven't seen this then don't hesitate and watch it
Dec 27, 2010 6:00 PM

Apr 2008
One Piece: Strong World - 9/10

I really enjoyed it. Despite it having a subpar plot, I think the quality of animation, sequences, and new character design were simply amazing.

The only reason I had to knock a point off was I felt like a few Strawhats were not equally represented. Had they shed a little more light on certain Strawhats then I would have given it a 10.
Jan 22, 2011 2:59 PM
May 2010
Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance - 8

Mini-Review
Just finished watching Evangelion 2.0 and... Idk. It's not the incredible masterpiece every fanboy tried and made it out to be. In fact, it's far from it. There are quite a few alterations of this from the series, specifically the pilot of Eva 03 that I'm unhappy about. And then of course, there's the whole lack of development in Asuka and Toji's character, with the writers throwing out Asuka into an over-attempt to be cool and different. I can't describe how disappointed I was as I watched the events unfolding Eva 03 in the movie.

Also, they reduced the length of the ingenious elevator scene which was supposed to be long, and awkward. They put a music piece in it as well. That was almost like putting Bat-nipples and Bat-credit card in Batman Forever.

However, I would like to compare this movie with the recent reboot Hollywood movie, Tron: Legacy. There are great subliminal stuff in both movies that stops me from giving them a poor rating. It's like, the writers managed to do quite a lot of wrong things, but managed to intrigue me at the same time with the right stuff as well. There were parts of human emotions they managed to do it somewhat well (nothing better than NGE, I'd say). There were quite a few metaphors used in terms of the Angels and the Second Impact. I quite enjoyed the two pieces of music played at the middle and the end of the movie. Music that contrast with the mood of the scene is not that amazing, but here, they are pulled off quite decently. That's probably the best thing about the movie, sadly.

The problem with Eva 2.0 was that the writers were so busy trying to make the movie look better than the series as a remake they neglected what made the series wholesome in the first place. i.e.: I like how they had Rei attempting to reunite Shinji with his father, trying to connect the dots of her emotions together after Asuka hinted to Rei that it was 'love' Rei felt for Shinji. What I don't like is how they failed to build that up first by properly developing the character of Rei at the beginning of the movie, or at the first movie, even. We are suppose to wait till 3.0 before it is revealed to the audience the dark truth about Rei. Not only is this confusing for those who have not watched the series, but for those who had like myself, this new arc, this new action done by Rei still feels somewhat random, like a self-inserted plot-line out of the blue. What does it mean for Rei to do this? How does it fit into the bigger picture? It is not crafted into the film.

Kinda like a troll fansub, Evangelion 2.0 is a movie that expects things from you instead of the other way round - research about the original series, putting the pieces of the plot together to understand what the Hell was going on. It's ambiguous, really. You could say it's intelligent, but I feel that it's inconsistent as a movie. It's ballsy in that it tried to make its plot original from the series, but the original plot doesn't work at all with its poor, scattered character developments. Honestly, the way they develop the characters in this movie is what really pisses me off about it.

But, if there's anything left that urges me to give this an '8' instead of a '7,' it's the ending. The first 3/4 of the show? I don't like it. But the ending? It was brilliant. Disaster is coming, yet Shinji is reunited with a supposedly alive Rei. Again, contrast of emotions and moods, but this time, it's actually more thought-provoking. Eva 01 has gone into berserk mode, but Shinji manages to rescue Rei, and there was an air of happiness for that brief moment when Rei was in his arms. Was it the representation of 'brightest before the storm?' Was it to show the little happy moments we have in the midst of apocalypse? Or was it just an ironic insult to Shinji that the worst is yet to come? Regardless of what it means, the ending was nicely done. The ending is the centerpiece of the whole movie... and that just says it all about the franchise.

Thoughts
I really hope 3.0 and 4.0 would not bring ruination to the phrase, "The End of Evangelion" by making it a less superior piece to the movie with the same title. Because if this last hope of redemption doesn't come through (especially with a piece/part of the franchise as important as EoE), I'm gonna hate the Rebuild of Evangelion forever.
OminousWrexJan 22, 2011 3:11 PM
Jan 23, 2011 9:57 AM

Mar 2007
Hunter X Hunter 10/10

Great plot and music, and I loved the characters, who were the best thing about this series(nice character development). I enjoyed seeing as they took the Hunter exam, making friends and enemies, fighting for each other, fighting in tournaments(and learning new powers), doing auctions and fighting against the Spiders(wish there was more fights with them). It was a great adventure that I wish would never end. A lot of people don't like the ending, but I was satisfied. I just need to watch the OVAs but those probably won't be enough. I need more. If only Togashi Yoshihiro would finish already so that I can read more of the Manga and hopefully they can make another season. I really love Yu Yu Hakusho, but to me, Hunter x Hunter is better. A real gem.
Jan 26, 2011 1:54 AM

Mar 2009
Rozen Maiden: Träumend

It could have been so much better. Although the first episode seemed to indicate battles, there were very few battles and they were disappointing. The ending seemed a little abrupt and things were not quite well explained. A few episodes were pointless, but some episodes were interesting or a little funny.
Feb 22, 2011 9:34 AM

Mar 2009
Rahxephon-7.5/10

Why is this considered an NGE clone in any respect? I hated NGE, but liked RahXephon, probably due to have characters not be stuck on emo permanently and having an actual interesting story that doesn't leave a ton of plot holes behind and rely on pointless symbolism for entertainment. So as an "NGE clone", it's way way better without even trying, but as just a normal anime, it's still pretty good, not the most mind blowing life changing thing ever, but a good solid watch nonetheless.
Feb 22, 2011 2:41 PM

Dec 2010
witchblade-7/10

I went into this anime expecting....well, just look at the cover. However I was suprised to find an anime that surpassed mere fan-service (of which there was actually very little once you get over the main characters huge pair) and delivered an actual story imbued with mother-daughter relationship.

However the ending was a little abrupt and seemed to take the route so many anime take in order to stir the emotions up within the viewer. If the ending was a little less rushed it would have scored higher.

Also, another thing that bothered me was the way a six year old was some how a consumate cook. Pretty sure I still found adding milk to my cereal a task at that age, but meh whatever, all is fair in love and anime.
Heads I win. Tails you lose.
Feb 22, 2011 3:07 PM

Feb 2011
The one I'm currently watching is Okusama wa Joshi Kōsei ("My Wife is a High School Girl" in English), and, so far, it's not very good. I mean, it's a cute story, but... let's face it... it's annoying.

The anime I've recently completed is Okane ga Nai! ("No Money" in English... I think?). Yes, it's yaoi. But the uke sounded AND looked like a girl, which ruined the entire 'yaoi' concept. I was disappointed with this. It's sort of hard to find good yaoi anime these days. So far, the only good ones are Junjou Romantica and Papa to Kiss in the Dark.
Feb 22, 2011 3:23 PM

Dec 2010
Clannad

Good start at episode 1, I immediate felt that this will be a drama heavy anime. Youhei Sunohara has to be one of the funniest characters I've seen too. Love many other characters funny moments too, such as spacing out at cute stuff. The drama was excellent, especially when the main character gets emotional about his past on why he couldn't play basketball anymore. Many of the characters are interesting, I'm glad they aren't cliches or archetypes that have no unique personalities.

Dropped at episode 7. If I watch more I'll rate it even lower. Final score 4/10.
Feb 22, 2011 7:45 PM

Mar 2009
Kamen no Maid Guy

The perverted humor and nature of the series was enjoyable but it did get old after some time. Nothing interesting about most characters, except for Kogarashi who made the series much more enjoyable. The last episode was quite a weak way to end the series, in my opinion. While most episodes were good, a few parts in some episodes were boring or just average and forgettable. Overall it's a series worth checking out though it's nothing exceptional.
Feb 22, 2011 8:19 PM

May 2009
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

I didn't think a 2-episode OVA could speak so much to me. Based off of only the first few chapters of the manga (or at least not too far into the manga), the OVA managed to capture most of the calm atmosphere of those chapters, as well as some of the more memorable events. The art is gorgeous, despite the year this OVA was released, shown by the colorful surroundings. The sound is nothing out of the ordinary; none of the music is memorable, nor is the voice acting. The characters, particularly Alpha, is generally well-developed, especially considering the short length of this OVA. The YKK OVA exceeded my expectations, and was very enjoyable and relaxing.

8/10
Feb 22, 2011 9:44 PM

Nov 2010
Wind: A Breath of Heart

reading the existing reviews (3) i was first hesatating to watch it (all 3 were prety low) but seeing it was a 12 episode + 4 ova, 13 min/ep serie's and i allready downloaded it i just went for it with the tought i can always drop it. but i didn't drop it, hell i even liked it realy felt like i watched a full 12 episode anime.

the story was what me to like it. won't spoil anything for people wanting to watch it (if u liked clannad, air and other series allong these lines this is a prety nice and quick watch)
it starts out like a normal romance/drama and like in most he gets united with his childhood friend (a girl) and asside the whole been there/ done that deal it still had a nice side story, well can't realy call it that so let's say the romance is a sidestory.

visuals, well i don't realy care about those so it was ok for me.

sound, the same nothing out of the ordanery.

conclusion, if i could write a decent review i would be the first to give it a 8/10 (yes i rated it a 9/10 in my list because i rate everything based on how i liked it and how it made an impact on me)
Feb 22, 2011 11:42 PM

Mar 2009
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu

From start to finish, it was awesome. It's usually hard for me to enjoy anime movies because if they're not interesting, it's a major pain in the ass to finish the whole movie but this movie was really great. The art, animation, backgrounds etc were all well done. There were several plot twists that made it more enjoyable.
Mar 6, 2011 10:10 PM

Dec 2010
Queen's Blade season 1, 2, and 5/6 episodes of the OVA's.

Was really fun throughout this franchises. QB has a lot of great characters, they have motives, they are unique, and they don't annoy. Well probably 1 or 2 characters I could see which might get on some people's nerves but I liked everyone especially with their quirks.

The fight scenes are also great. Every fight was well determined on who was gonna win, and very well done. Humor was also awesome if you're into ecchi and yuri fanservice.

Story is simple but enjoyable because it delivers what it is. The OVA's were great showing the conclusions of the characters after the QB tournament.

It's too bad people dismiss this anime upon sight. I give the first season 8/10, second season 9/10, and the OVA's will probably get 9/10 after I watch the last episode.
Mar 7, 2011 12:45 PM

Feb 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 10/10
Much better ending than the original. Good story, interesting characters. If you liked the original, you gonna love this one. It starts slow gets good fast.

Clannad After Story 10/10
One of the best anime I´ve ever watched. Very sad. It kinda drags in the middle but gets really good.
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »

More topics from this board

» Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

27 by FedeMetal »»
3 minutes ago

» Do your irl friends watch anime? ( 1 2 )

coolyfruity - Yesterday

52 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you keep up with Anime Original Films?

Dragevard - 5 minutes ago

0 by Dragevard »»
5 minutes ago

» Why are The Mysterious Play, Colour Cloud Palace and Raven of the Inner Palace not as popular as The Apothecary Diaries ?

KingSunWukong - Mar 25

18 by Alpha-Nine »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » A question, what is worse when it comes to a bad anime

Dillq24 - Today

18 by DX_impulse »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.