Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Jul 31, 2010 12:20 AM

Sep 2009
The worst? Far from it. The best? Definitely not. Like most are saying. Mediocre. I'd rather put it at above average though. I think the animation was stunning and I loved the fight sequences. However I was completely thrown off by the time skipping. First we get a normal, day-to-day sort of deal for about 2-3 days. Then suddenly we're given a fast-forward to almost a YEAR! later. Then it runs for another couple days consecutively. confused me a bit and threw me off.

Also, the story was nice but cliched in a lot of ways.

Without a doubt I would highly suggest to the creators to make a second part. They already set it up as so and I really want to know now what was going to happen next.

I think what the main problem surrounding all this was a common problem media faces today.

Hype.

Everyone kept going crazy about this.
Figurine pre-sales, specialized curry, and all the other marketing that went into this just built this up to be the most incredible anime of the year! And for a while I was interested but not nearly as excited as most but when I started really digging deep and saw some of the animation, I was impressed enough to get into the hype myself.

So from the stand point of all the hype. Dissappointing.
But from the view of it being just another anime. Not bad, like I said, above average.

As for the backstory, I'm not sure where everyone is getting that from. The most of my knowledge was that there was the song and MV. Beyond that, I thought all of this was made up. Guess, I gotta do some diggin'.

I really hope to see more from this. Still has some great potential but next time don't spend the 1st 15 mintues with about 2mins being an awesome fight scene ending on a cliff hanger-->transition to-->girl going about morning routine-->transition to-->pretending that fight never happened....
Jul 31, 2010 2:48 AM

Aug 2009
Overall, I liked this OVA. I really hope they have another one.
Like most people have stated, it wasn't the best. There are parts that could have been better, and I want to know what the heck that brown machine with guns was. But, this was a 50 minute OVA which means it was obviously not going to be the best. But it wasn't horrible!

Hype?
Heck, I never heard of it until today. >< But I guess it's famous in other places..?

I gave it a 10. I'm thinking about changing it to a 9, due to my confusion and unanswered questions. x3
Jul 31, 2010 3:28 AM

Jul 2008
is there like a light novel or something related to this, cuz despite my opinion of this [crappy] show, i would still like to see were it came from.

for example, how do you guys know the names of BGS and death scythe (?) if they never spoke of their names

i bet if they reordered this show into a form that makes sense (like chronological instead of the random-stupid-form they chose), it would have been alot better imo... i understood the idea of the start-end meet in middle, but that for just seems silly imo...

Kazandravk said:

I gave it a 10. I'm thinking about changing it to a 9, due to my confusion and unanswered questions. x3

not to judge your rating system, but how can you give something a 10 or a 9, if you dont understand/still have questions about the anime you just watched?
BlackTruthJul 31, 2010 3:31 AM
Jul 31, 2010 7:59 AM

Jan 2009
Watching it was a complete waste of time. The characters and story were "very extraordinary". I gave it one without doubts. BTW I didn't expect fights or smth like that, but I also didn't expect that it would be so trite, that everyone who gave it 10 would have only one reason: "it's my own opinion (your arguments are invalid)".
EinveraJul 31, 2010 9:48 AM

Jul 31, 2010 8:01 AM

Nov 2007
Hm, one is a bit harsh, I think. I found it very mediocre and gave it a five appropriately. Nice visuals, but the music was plain, the characters dull and the story simply didn't engage my interest. Not terribad stuff, just not anything particularly good, aside from the visuals.
Jul 31, 2010 9:40 AM

Jul 2009
I imagine if it had useless bath scenes and terrible terrible J-Pop during the fights it would be at least an 8.00+ by now.
Jul 31, 2010 3:38 PM

Dec 2008
Im trying to decide between 7 or 8/10, this had some great action sequences, i want this OST for the metal tracks during the fight scenes, though I wished they could have used the actual song Black Rock Shooter somewhere in the OVA.

I wont deny this was a disappointment, but for some strange reason my expectations were unreasonably high for this OVA. It looks as if there will be sequels and once again i have high hopes.
Aug 1, 2010 9:27 AM

Nov 2008
Bwah, drama over a generic friends story between two little school girls.
Animation was good, I especially enjoyed the design of the other world and the fights, and ost was also pretty good. It really created some tender and cute moments with its directing.
There's a good work on the atmosphere, I guess, but giving the content of the story it really felt cheezy in the end.
Aug 1, 2010 10:19 AM

Mar 2009
Okay, I looked into Black Rock Shooter without any expectations, because I had just come across it by chance. I didn't and still haven't seen the trailer, and if there is a manga, I obviously have not read it.
the only expectation I had of it was that it would suck. because I read its forums(excluding spoiler parts) and everyone said it sucked. so I expected it to.
but as I began watching it and picking out all of its flaws to prove its suckiness, I realized, its not that bad.
Of course, this could be due to the fact that I had no specific expectations in the beginning; but that just proves- that going in with no expectations, and no clue what it was about- that as a stand-alone, it was not bad at all.
to me, it was actually quite good. because I didn't walk in expecting a bunch of fighting sequences(I didn't know what to expect), the bits of fighting they threw in without my knowledge, were really a treat for me.

okay this is starting to sound like a review/rant, so i'll stop now :P
but that's my standing point on this OVA.
Aug 1, 2010 2:58 PM

Feb 2009
I think it's a good OVA. It's not original, but it didn't bore me (actually it was rather entertaining, and that's most important feature of any show) and was nicely drawn. Especially the Otherworld, the structures are beautiful. I also liked the idea of storytelling with the school life and Otherworld fighting mixed nicely together.

I think it would be a great episode IF it was a first episode of a tv series or a series of OVA's (wich would be a better solution in my opinion). Some kind of introdution to the world and characters. It still has lots of potential.

But if this'll be the only thing we'll get... well... shame on producers then.
Aug 1, 2010 3:55 PM

May 2009
i don't see why everyone is against it so much,i just came across this ova by chance and overall it seemed okay...sure there were alot of questions to be asked (mostly in the last 15 minutes) but there were alot of good elements too. Overall i think it's a 7.5
Aug 2, 2010 12:03 AM

Apr 2009
Not as good as I was hoping, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. It did a good job telling a story of friendship and life gradually forcing them apart. Good characters, music, awesome action, quality animation. I would've liked some actual explanation for the BRS stuff and I hated the after credits scene.

All in all, good OVA which I rated 7/10, I think the dislike is out of whack and unwarranted but to each their own of course.
Aug 2, 2010 9:48 AM

Feb 2009
All this waiting and now i'm depressed...
Well,the fights in the "whatever world it might be" were cool,i was hoping to see more of that.Though fights alone wouldn't make it good.But this plot was...ok till the moment when Yomi was left out.And it felt so bad that the rest of the episode couldn't make up for it.
I might be overreacting since today was just this terrible day when i was forcefully brought back to reality so that might have influenced my judgement,but i'm pretty sure i would still feel sorry for Yomi.And thus 7/10 from me.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Aug 2, 2010 5:30 PM
Jun 2010
finally finished black rock shooter and i must say, it was a very good OVA. However, it isnt quite a masterpiece yet so I gave it 9/10. It would be 10/10 if I felt just slightly more generous.

The artwork IS AMAZING. I am sooo tempted to change it to 10/10 just because the graphics were so freakin awesome. The fight scenes were very nice and the rock music in the background made it even more epic. The scenes at the school were nice as well since seeing 2 girls developing their friendship is always nice.

Bit of a cliffhanger at the end with yuu but hey that just means a sequel or full series is highly likely. And personally, I would love to c a sequel/ full series.
Aug 2, 2010 8:07 PM

Mar 2008
this shit sucked

Aug 2, 2010 8:09 PM

Feb 2008
An amazing letdown if I had to be perfectly honest.
seraphjeiAug 2, 2010 9:48 PM
Aug 3, 2010 2:01 PM

Sep 2008
I wouldn't say that the ova was disappointing. If it was expanded to 12 episodes, then it would have been really slow paced. It was a nice little animation to watch on my spare time. I enjoyed it overall and I loved the soundtrack.
Aug 3, 2010 3:46 PM

Nov 2009
Far away from my high expectations... >_<
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
Emo Philips
Aug 3, 2010 5:22 PM
Jun 2010
Psychodrake said:
I imagine if it had useless bath scenes and terrible terrible J-Pop during the fights it would be at least an 8.00+ by now.

bath scenes = agreed, j pop = NO... ROCK FTW!!!!!
Aug 3, 2010 8:45 PM

Aug 2009
Wow... this was supposed to be the best anime of the year, and failed epically. The biggest faggotry since endless eight and bakemonogatari delay.
Aug 4, 2010 7:49 AM

Apr 2009
BlackTruth said:
is there like a light novel or something related to this, cuz despite my opinion of this [crappy] show, i would still like to see were it came from.

for example, how do you guys know the names of BGS and death scythe (?) if they never spoke of their names

i bet if they reordered this show into a form that makes sense (like chronological instead of the random-stupid-form they chose), it would have been alot better imo... i understood the idea of the start-end meet in middle, but that for just seems silly imo...

Kazandravk said:

not to judge your rating system, but how can you give something a 10 or a 9, if you dont understand/still have questions about the anime you just watched?

Anyone who lurked a lot about Vocaloid and BRS would knew about their names and more. Just lurk more and you will see it.
Aug 4, 2010 7:57 PM

Apr 2008
Some what .. not as exciting as i thought -.-

Aug 5, 2010 8:55 AM

Sep 2009
Awesome show, it was just too short. Music was pretty good but still debating whether or not to purchase the OST. I hope this is just a prelude to at least another OVA if not maybe a season or two!
Aug 5, 2010 10:52 PM
Feb 2010
The front was so confusing and draggy. The back was better but the ending was retarded. So now Yuu becomes another enemy? O great.

W/o a lot of redundant cutscenes this OVA would be 30 mins at most. Was it supp to be a 12 ep show in Jan? No wonder this OVA is so draggy and unsettling. Must have a lot of stuff cut out.
Aug 6, 2010 2:48 AM

Jan 2009
BlackTruth said:

Because that's what HUKE, the creator, called them XD

Here are some official products (figures and stuff):

http://www.goodsmile.info/product/en/2915/figma+Dead+Master.html
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25711/Black+Gold+Saw.html

If anyone wants a chronological order re-edit of the OVA, let me know. Took me a couple of days, but I made one.
Aug 6, 2010 3:58 AM
May 2010
did you guys watch till the end after the credits? kinda answers some questions and maybe part 2?
Aug 7, 2010 3:26 AM
Feb 2009
I did like the rock music.

Though Yuu at the ending seemed creepy to me. The parallel Yuu following the other girls seemed to give me that vibe.
Aug 7, 2010 7:27 AM
Jun 2008
Did She found Yomi at last??
Actually I realize there are two dimensional world which both Yomi and Mato.They sort of shared the same mind in some way in the other dimension.
When Yomi began to talk to other friend,Mato seem to be jealous of her.Right after than,the fight start between Yomi and Mato in the other dimension.
Somehow, the Shadow(jealousy) part of Yomi has been destroy by the Shadow(worry) part of Mato.
I can see that Mato really want to save(convince) her from darkness(jealousy).I guess in the end,Mato break away from the chain(misunderstanding) and try to save Yomi.
This is a very interesting Anime,that tell about the story of friendship by using battle to personify it ^^
The only part I don't understand is how they convince each other in real world? but i am sure their devotion of friendship is as same the intense battle in the other dimensional world.
great meaningful Anime. I give it a nice 10/10....(i think i have too many 10' Anime in my list LOL )
I can't believe such a short 1hour Anime can delivered so much action and High school friendship ^^ .the story and plot is simple and I guess I understand why this Anime is so hype .
MorningGloryAug 7, 2010 7:30 AM
Aug 7, 2010 8:28 PM

Jan 2010
I liked this OVA. I hope they have another one.
Aug 8, 2010 2:06 PM

Nov 2008
Im prolly the only 1 that thought that BRS was somehow related to Hatsune Miku :S
Aug 8, 2010 6:10 PM

Aug 2009
The animation was smooth. That's the only positive comment I can come up with.
Aug 8, 2010 6:15 PM

Nov 2009
Chalis said:
The animation was smooth. That's the only positive comment I can come up with.

This u_u
Aug 8, 2010 6:21 PM

Jan 2010
Ummm... wow I completely forgot about Black Rock Shooter. From what I hear, I don't think I would want to waste 50 mins of my life watching this......... :(
Aug 8, 2010 6:47 PM

Aug 2009
edwardelricfanXD said:
Ummm... wow I completely forgot about Black Rock Shooter. From what I hear, I don't think I would want to waste 50 mins of my life watching this......... :(
It's more like... all of the fighting felt out of place and even groan worthy every time it came up, and the story telling was very slow. The characters had little to no development (for a viewer to honestly care about them), and some of the more 'emotional' scenes felt completely forced.

The whole friendship plot is very common and other anime (Dennou Coil instantly comes to mind) do it so much better while actually being entertaining at the same time. BRS manages to derail friendship to "HEY GUYS LOOK AT THIS SCENE, AWESOME HUH", and yeah that's due to how high quality the art looks too.

Even if this OVA is a setup for an actual series I doubt I'd watch it. 50 minutes wasn't soon enough for this crap to end.
Aug 9, 2010 3:24 AM

Jan 2010
3 out of 5: It was OK

The fighting was decent. I really liked the music at the end but other than that - I was not impressed or interested in anything else. The ending had an opening so I'll watch that if it ever comes out.
Aug 9, 2010 3:37 AM
Jun 2008
@Chalis
The fight come in when Yomi jealous .....
The fight changes style when Mato worriedl....

For God sake!!! you are comparing a 520 minute Anime with a 50minute Anime!!!
Anyway, hater gonna hate ...
Aug 9, 2010 5:20 AM

Aug 2009
Anime is fairly good.
Confusing at start but gradually changes.
I sort of like the scene that s around 30min - 47mins.
I usually got hooked around their which changed my mind completely.
Aug 10, 2010 1:59 AM

Jan 2009
This OVA left me with so many questions like no other show.
I think this is a big part of the beauty it has to offer: the multitude of questions left for the viewer's imagination to answer.
The lowly maggot under the trash.
Aug 10, 2010 7:22 AM

Feb 2009
not as exciting as i would have liked it to be and i think i know why some people like it and why some dont: real-world experiences

this kind of thing just simply is not for everyone since not everyone (myself included) has had the experience of losing a friend, whether through them moving away or simply through growing apart

im usually all for the touchy feely stuff but this seems to go somewhere in between touchy feely (like len/rin's kokoro) and hardcore action

slightly above average from me simply because i like the art but the ending blew my head off, not because of the generic dun dun dun DUN but because i know she'll have to break the cycle and how she breaks it is gonna be good

*edit:

wanted to add, surely the lyrics to the original black rock shooter song must be incorporated at some point since i dont see much of the loneliness in said song in the ova
thornsapAug 10, 2010 7:30 AM
Aug 10, 2010 9:03 AM

Jul 2009
Tottaly loved it =p
Aug 10, 2010 9:13 AM

Jul 2009
Nice bgm, nice art, nice story, awesome ending. In couple all this looks great. But the most loved part of this ova is a strong bond between Mato and Yomi <3
Aug 11, 2010 5:26 AM

Oct 2007
I still find it strange as to how they didn't even TRY to bridge the otherworld with the real world. I'm sure the famous 3DPV explained a lot about Black Rock Shooter in the span of 5 minutes. Crazy fan inspired creations should stay within the hands of the creators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFcc-PVoX5E

That would have been a decent enough story to make an OVA or two of Black Rock Shooter. Maybe if they included the actual song it may have redeemed itself just a little bit. Ah, I was expecting something more... even full on fan service would have been better than this. Whatever happened to all the other Black★ characters?
hilloa_loaAug 11, 2010 5:29 AM
Apple bunnies and takoweiners save our souls.
Aug 12, 2010 1:37 PM

Jun 2008
Well finally i managed to see this. So there was some great art, especially the backgrounds of the black shooter world. That first opponent that stabbed her looked really awesome.

Personally the only thing i know from BRS are a few artworks i saw so i wasn't expecting anything other than just seeing what is all about.

I don't think it was horrible, i liked it actually. Sure things weren't made clear but it seems they wanted it like that.
One theory is that everything we saw about the school life they had was a part of the past.
Another theory could be that when that star started shining the girl was transported into that dimension and started fighting as BRS until she found Yomi's version in that world and after fighting she managed to pull her back. This would mean that the scene where she was asking BRS who she is was at the end of the school story and the first scene of BRS world. So BRS is another version of herself i guess and she's the form the girl takes in that other dimension.

The drama might have been a common story but it doesn't mean it was bad. It was nicely made although i do agree we needed a few more scenes from the world of BRS.
MonadAug 12, 2010 11:09 PM
Aug 12, 2010 5:42 PM

Jul 2010
The only thing I knew about this OVA was that it was based off a song. It was kind of disappointing for me because I thought this entire OVA would be based off the Black rock shooter world, instead they turned it into the real world and tried to connect the two, which confused me. Not only that but the characters that appeared in the black rock shooter world of the OVA probably didn't appear in the video. (Like that first fight scene?)

Good animation, fitting music, but the story...really made no sense between the two worlds. If they made a sequel then my opinion might change but right now 5/10
You may read this quote , "However, by that point you'll have been torn to pieces."
Aug 12, 2010 10:21 PM

Mar 2010
Yeah gotta say, after looking forward to this for -so- long, I was pretty disappointed. It really just left me confused as the whole OVA just raised questions. I think this could be a really good anime, but as just a one ep OVA it just doesn't have enough time to have any substance to it.

That being said, the fight scenes -were- gorgeous.
Aug 13, 2010 1:42 AM

Nov 2009
It was a little too deep, either that or it was meant for brainless entertainment. As mentioned by many people, the fight scenes were great, but I had certainly hoped they would have used a better way to tell the story. Switching between two scenes can make or break a great story when done inappropriately.

I had high hopes, but I guess it disappointed me a little.
Aug 15, 2010 12:53 PM

Mar 2008
This is not what i expected. Definitely not exploited like it should have been. I suppose we can blame its short duration. One hour 1/4 would have been better, and good enough to conclude it better. The fighting scenes were fortunately pretty well-done, so the enjoyment was still present.
Aug 15, 2010 3:48 PM
Aug 2010
I didn't really have many expectations beyond the quality of the animation (as aforementioned by just about ever single article foretelling the release). Admittedly, this may be the only reason why I loved it so much. I didn't place any hopes in the storyline, nor did I contemplate while watching. On deeper inspection, though, I still like this OVA. I've had a similar experience myself, so I can understand how the plausibility though some may find it dramatic.

Seeing as how how I liked the art of the otherworld so much, I wouldn't mind seeing some of it on my wall. I would be proud to display a wall scroll on my wall...I don't suppose there's any general rule of thumb regarding the release of wall scrolls that somebody could pass along, is there?
Aug 15, 2010 9:22 PM

Jun 2010
Hmm... I've been hyped about this anime for at least half a year now and I have to say... I'm thoroughly confused. @_@
I heard that this started as a 12 episode season, then was shortened to 6 episodes, and THEN got bumped to an OVA... Am I correct? Why? Not enough budgeting?
I know this isn't a thread for the manga but I wanted to ask where I could find it? Or even just the raws from the planning and story board?? There seems to have been quite a few characters left out that I'd like to get a look at. :D

Was the short blonde girl supposed to be Yuu?? (this is just my guess but they all seem to have counter-parts and... so it just kinda clicked in my head...)

As for what I thought of it... It definitely wasn't what I was expecting, although I WAS expecting the strangeness... But I thought there would be a more definite end. Although that's because I thought it was only one episode and not a pilot... Looking at it from this point I have to say that I found it very well done. The art and animation speed were both fitting to the story type... And as someone previously said the friendship between the two girls felt very real. It's hard to capture raw emotions like that, especially in a spliced up, almost silent anime like this one. I gave it 5 stars.
Behold, let there be more!! ~

P.S. I found this super interesting! They're working on a special release right now of the OVA and it includes a stop motion short. The video extra will feature a remix of supercell's "Black Rock Shooter" song by Joe Hahn, the DJ of the American rock band Linkin Park! Cool!! XD
kittenscatsAug 15, 2010 9:26 PM

Aug 17, 2010 2:45 AM
Jul 2018
I expected lots of fighting, I found lots of slice of life. I loved it.
There's a deep meaning in this OVA, and the fighting is just a way to deliver the beautiful ending.

Kudos to who created this.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» worst f'ing anime of all time ( 1 2 3 )

catullus - Jul 27, 2010

100 by SilverCrono »»
Nov 5, 2022 7:14 AM

Poll: » Would you like to see more Black★Rock Shooter? ( 1 2 )

Vandah - Jul 24, 2010

68 by lucio54 »»
Sep 15, 2021 9:56 PM

» Black★Rock Shooter (OVA) Need a Part 2

AkatsukiUlquiora - May 6, 2013

3 by AkatsukiUlquiora »»
Nov 13, 2020 9:31 AM

ShadowbladeEdge - Sep 12, 2009

23 by SingerOfW »»
Sep 8, 2011 11:48 AM

» Black Rock Shooter Gets New TV Anime in January

AmberFebruary - Aug 18, 2011

11 by SanzuNoKawa »»
Aug 19, 2011 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.