Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Jun 9, 2011 9:10 AM

Aug 2008
...Awesome.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 16, 2011 7:54 AM
Feb 2009
OMG!!! @%#&$^!*.........

*after 30 mins*

phew... i finally calm down a bit...
this is hella a show... stupid... cliche... but hella a show... 9/10

p.s. the last blow was awesome...
oblivious is a bliss
Jun 16, 2011 6:27 PM

Dec 2009
This show was almost too epic for words.
I think Gurren Lagann might just be the strongest fictional thing ever created.

Well I laughed, I cried, I got my mind blown watching this masterpiece.
Jul 6, 2011 11:53 AM
Dec 2008
Epic ending to Epic anime. Even if it's an happy anime overall, Simon lost Nia and yoko still alone.
So the person at the beginning of episode 1 wasn't Simon ? Might be Gimmy later.

One of the best animes i've watched and without a doubt the most epic :P
Jul 16, 2011 7:06 PM

Jan 2011
i think everyone is forgetting someone.....boota

honestly the longest living mole ever

since everyone else is whining about this i will too...

is it a rule that all heroes die virgins?
Hide behind the mighty wall of internet, i shall
Jul 21, 2011 10:39 PM

Mar 2011
So just finished this, first of all, yes I thought it was a great anime 9/10. Not really gonna go into why I think that, this is a 26 page thread and I'm pretty sure it's already been covered pretty well.

Ok, now, can't say I'm a huge fan of bitter-sweet endings, actually I kinda hate them, and it's what's keeping me from giving this a 10/10.

Also it kinda bugged me how Yoko was pretty much given the shaft, she basically died when Kamina died. After that she fell into a minor roll, and we started seeing less, and less of her. She was one of my favorite characters in this series and I thought it was actually kinda cruel what they did to her, almost cynical.

Nia vanishing at the end was pretty good, I thought it was only fair after they forced Yoko to suffer not one, but two losses, and in the same way. Poor girl is scarred , and ends up all alone at the end.

I was actually really hoping Simon and Yoko ended up together in the end, I knew it wouldn't happen, but damn that would of been great.

Great anime, kinda of a weak ending though. Def worth the watch.

This was the first anime I've watched in quite a while, maybe like 5-6 months, and I think I'll be going back on hiatus, the ending really ruined it for me.
PS - During the 7 year time lapse, was Yoko gone for 6 years?
WizooJul 21, 2011 10:46 PM

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die. And the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.
Aug 3, 2011 5:42 AM

Oct 2010
epic, epic, EPIIIIC!!!!!!!!! XDXDXDXDDXD
Aug 11, 2011 4:13 AM

Jan 2008
Holy hell... They had a battle ON THE BORDERS OF THE GODDAMN UNIVERSE...

...USING GALAXIES AS PROJECTILE WEAPONS...

...WHILE CREATING QUASARS WITH EVERY BLOW THEY EXCHANGE.

If this anime taught me anything, it's that anything can be solved with force, and that force is limitless as long as you have fighting spirit.

I still can't believe that after all the trouble Simon went through, Nia had to go... A lot of people hoped that Simon and Yoko would get together, but I don't think they clicked too well (romantically, at least) throughout the series. And he decides to keep digging after saving the whole universe from total annihilation? Geez, man, have some ambition... I swear, Kamina would throw his fist from his grave and it'd circle the Earth ten thousand times to gather momentum and sock him a third time... Oh well, if he's happy, then I can't really complain.

Good anime. Thanks for the explosions.

9/10
Aug 29, 2011 9:18 PM

Aug 2008
God. Finally get to watch it.

EPIC is not enough to describe this. I'll give it 9.6/10 (rounded to 9).
-0.2 for the fucked up episode 4
-0.2 for the way Nia disappeared and other elements that I personally dislike

Anyway, awesome. This anime tops my Mecha genre list.

Some parts of it doesn't make sense. But I don't really mind. When things get to this level of EPIC, it doesn't need any sense anymore.
But I love Nia. She's one of the two pillars in Simon's spirit. (Another is obviously Kamina)
I personally think the writer want Nia to go just for the sake of unnecessary bittersweet. She can live and go see the world with Simon. That would be sufficient.
For Yoko, I feel sorry for her for you-know-what-I-mean.
Aug 30, 2011 5:54 PM

May 2011
I was so excited while I was watching this anime. I hated the ending. Someone told me to watch tengen over code geass.... and i regret it now. There was nothing unique about it. Only the first episode was original.
~In this world there are no heroes, only monsters that we create ourselves~
~Heroes always show up late~

Aug 30, 2011 6:13 PM

Mar 2011
-Nico-Robin- said:
I was so excited while I was watching this anime. I hated the ending. Someone told me to watch tengen over code geass.... and i regret it now. There was nothing unique about it. Only the first episode was original.
didnt like the end too and the 1st episode was just ok for me.
BUT Code Geass vs Tengen Toppa is like 10-1 :S
Aug 30, 2011 7:13 PM

May 2011
HKenji said:

BUT Code Geass vs Tengen Toppa is like 10-1 :S

AGREED. Finally, somebody understands! I have to admit that Tengen really knows how to keep the action going, but sometimes, mindless explosions and random power-ups of Simon can get boring pretty quickly. Maybe I would've appreciated this more if I watched it back when I started Dragon Ball Z... (actually no! DBZ was much epicer!!!!!) oh well, it's not like it was horrible, but it could've been better! I was hoping for some time traveling... Did anybody else notice Old man Coco had the same goggles as Simon???? Talk about giving the audience the wrong impression -____-"
~In this world there are no heroes, only monsters that we create ourselves~
~Heroes always show up late~

Sep 2, 2011 9:39 AM
Oct 2009
To be honest, when you stop being a fanboy and actually look at the ending. It's an absolute downer ending. It was supposed to teach people something about moving on and keep going, but it fails horrible at doing so.
In the end, what did Simon really get out of all his efforts, all the fights he went through? Not a single thing! Kamina died on him long ago, aswell as the girl he loves and he becomes a digger for the rest of his life.
As good as the show was for quite some time, the ending was another horrible Gainax ending. It just unfolds its horror once you take a closer look at it and really think things through.
Sep 4, 2011 11:00 PM
Jun 2010
My brain just turned into mush, Epic ending, never seen better, this Anime was Superb. I give my standing applause and my salute to Gurren Lagann.
"Who the hell do you think we are"
Sep 11, 2011 3:00 PM

Jun 2011
hellsascendant said:
i think everyone is forgetting someone.....boota

honestly the longest living mole ever

since everyone else is whining about this i will too...

is it a rule that all heroes die virgins?

i think u pretty much expressed my feelings LOL! i know right i don't get why Nia had to disappear and the man who saves the universe ends up alone... FUCKING WORST ENDING EVER!!! and why the hell did gimmy get the core drill, THAT'S STUPID! T_T it was going soooo well till the end >:O THEY ALWAYS FUCK UP THE ENDING!!!
Sep 17, 2011 10:50 AM
Dec 2007
For those who thought the ending was 'bad' because Simon became a hobo at the end didn't really get the message that Simon was giving after the wedding.

He basically gave up the core drill because his job was done. In the end, Simon was a pretty simple, down to earth guy. He doesn't have grand ideals or ambition like Kamina had. He travelled the galaxy not on some grand quest for glory or power but to save Nia and he did it in the end. He didn't become the Commander-in-Chief of Kamina City because he desired a place of power but was put into the role because of his role in the Gurren Brigade. I bet if Simon had the choice, he would probably have walked away from all his duties after the battle of Teppelin as well (Like Yoko) and lived out his life in solitude with Nia.

And also, Simon is basically the most powerful Spiral being in the Universe right now and he knows it. He gave up on the core drill and whatever power he had left because he didn't want to cause the Spiral Nemesis in case he got too powerful just like the Anti-Spirals said. In the end, Simon acknowledged everything the Anti-Spiral said. He knows that humans could cause the Spiral nemesis but he believes they can also make the right choices to prevent it from happening. This action was his choice to prevent it.

Its these two reasons that lead to him giving up the core drill to Gimmy because he realises that Humanity as a whole needs to be able to look out for itself. Simon can't always fix the problems for them and he won't always be there to save the universe. After all, he's not a god. (As he mentions again about not using his spiral power to bring Nia back)

He's already created the path for others to follow (As per his own words, 'Others will follow down the hole I've dug) in his footsteps, now its up to the next generation to take care of itself. Humanity will survive and govern itself against the Spiral Nemesis on its own will and strength, not on Simon's. Its a very strong message about moving on and passing down your will to the next generation which was what the whole ending was about and to me, it was a really powerful and humble ending after all the great feats Simon accomplished.
Sep 18, 2011 9:43 AM

Aug 2008
Hidd3NNiN said:
For those who thought the ending was 'bad' because Simon became a hobo at the end didn't really get the message that Simon was giving after the wedding.

He basically gave up the core drill because his job was done. In the end, Simon was a pretty simple, down to earth guy. He doesn't have grand ideals or ambition like Kamina had. He travelled the galaxy not on some grand quest for glory or power but to save Nia and he did it in the end. He didn't become the Commander-in-Chief of Kamina City because he desired a place of power but was put into the role because of his role in the Gurren Brigade. I bet if Simon had the choice, he would probably have walked away from all his duties after the battle of Teppelin as well (Like Yoko) and lived out his life in solitude with Nia.

This is exactly it. I don't hate that Simon gave up on everything. Just like you said, that's who he is.
But as you also said at the last line, he deserved Nia at least. I believe that rigging some plot to have Nia survived in the end won't hurt much.
That's why I personally think that having Nia died for the sake of bittersweet was uncalled for.
Sep 18, 2011 5:53 PM

Jul 2010
sooo...the beginning is now considered irrelevant now?

Im pretty sure that was Boota in human form and Simon. so they just forgot about the beginning and ended it differently?
Sep 19, 2011 10:31 AM

Jun 2010
You know, I never believed in manly tears. I always thought those were just an over-exaggeration or just pure bullshit.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann proved me very, very wrong the last few episodes.
Sep 20, 2011 9:44 PM

Nov 2007
I sniffd.
Sep 27, 2011 4:41 PM

Sep 2011
In total, this series deserves a rating of "spiral power"/10...

if there's something you can't express with words it's gurren lagann, just watch it...
Oct 26, 2011 5:38 PM

Aug 2011
before i watched this anime, i thought that nothing could top FMA:Brotherhood but i was proven wrong. this anime blew my mind and moved me in a way i thought an anime would ever do. when i first saw the last episode i was angry. i thought that after all the shit that Simon went through in his life, he atleast deserved the woman he loved. i thought that Gainax was trying to fuck me over. my outlook changed after i saw it again and noticed that Simon had accepted the fate of Nia and come to terms with it. instead of sulking over her fate he persevered through and decided live his life with no regrets. im not gonna lie, i had tears in my eyes at the end of this episode just like i had wen Kamina died. i have never had such an emotional response from anime or any other media outlet. Thank you Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann for changing my outlook on life.
"Throw away your logic and kick reason to the curb! Beautifully following the golden road! If there’s a wall, we knock it down! It’s a road built with these hands! The Magma of the Heart’s Final Ignition! Perfect Unification Gurren-Lagann!"
Oct 26, 2011 5:41 PM

Feb 2009
Gurreninja said:
before i watched this anime, i thought that nothing could top FMA:Brotherhood but i was proven wrong. this anime blew my mind and moved me in a way i thought an anime would ever do. when i first saw the last episode i was angry. i thought that after all the shit that Simon went through in his life, he atleast deserved the woman he loved. i thought that Gainax was trying to fuck me over. my outlook changed after i saw it again and noticed that Simon had accepted the fate of Nia and come to terms with it. instead of sulking over her fate he persevered through and decided live his life with no regrets. im not gonna lie, i had tears in my eyes at the end of this episode just like i had wen Kamina died. i have never had such an emotional response from anime or any other media outlet. Thank you Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann for changing my outlook on life.

I feel this man, I feel this...
Oct 28, 2011 2:26 AM

Jan 2011
I dont know english so well, so I can't express my feelings good i think, but I'll try.. I don't like mech anime at all, I dropped this anime a year ago.
But now,
since 2nd episode, I began to like this series, more and more, from one to another fight. The last fight, memories of died staff of mega-gurren-dan appeared at my eyes, and mega drill crushed the enemy. And I cried like a baby. I cried more when princess dissappeared, and than cried when saw grow old legendary mega gurrendan staff.. But this tears became tears of hope fr me...

It's 10/10, my god, 10/10...
Nov 8, 2011 11:55 PM

Oct 2011
probably one of the best anime i've ever watched.

11/10
Nope.
Nov 11, 2011 7:39 PM
Nov 2011
omg i just finished watched this and i cried at the end with nia and im a dude.
omg he couldve a least got nia
dont u guys agree
it was so sad but the journey and this anime i will never forget 10/10 masterpiece.
Nov 11, 2011 11:51 PM
Jul 2018
Watched this in 3 days. There are no words to describe it.
It was an amazing journey, with exponential epicness.
Whoever wrote the series, thank you.
Nov 12, 2011 5:24 AM
Nov 2011
sergio i totaly agree
but it was so sad at the end but the anime was amazing never forget GURREN LAGANN!!!!!!!!!
Nov 13, 2011 1:52 PM
Oct 2011
The greatest ending to any show ever!

All anime's should be like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Who the hell do you think they are!
Nov 14, 2011 11:43 AM
Nov 2011
truely an awsome anime i will never forget it
i loved it but simon couldve goten nia
otherwise it was an excelent anime
10/10
Dec 18, 2011 7:02 AM

Aug 2011
Oh man. So awesome. I dropped this anime after 6 episodes about 6 months ago because it just wasn't doing it for me, but I am so God damn glad I picked it back up. I don't really know how to describe it, apart from just downright amazing.
Dec 18, 2011 7:14 PM

Jan 2011
SergioSource said:
Watched this in 3 days. There are no words to describe it.
It was an amazing journey, with exponential epicness.
Whoever wrote the series, thank you.

I completely agree with you and I watched this in exactly 3 days as well. I initially thought Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was a pretty goofy Anime with all the wacky 'gundam' machines battling out when I saw a preview of the Anime on a Darker Than Black DVD. I eventually came across an AMV and it motivated me to give it a go, so I did. And holy shit was I blown away. Felt so many emotions from this Anime that I had never even thought I would. Kamina dying, the legendary man lives on. This Anime is seriously one of my favourites now, sucks how I didn't pick this up earlier. Deserves my time and giving it a 10/10. TTGL4lyfe.
Dec 25, 2011 3:09 PM

Jan 2011
TBH not that fussed with the whole anime. I kind of lost the plot half way through.

Gave this a 3/5

Who knows? Maybe a rewatch in the future will change my mind?!
Dec 27, 2011 10:29 AM

May 2009
Best Reaction to Describe Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan

TweeDec 27, 2011 2:11 PM
Dec 27, 2011 12:03 PM
Jan 2009
It was meh. From start to finish.
Dec 30, 2011 8:50 PM

Jan 2011
Wow, what a great anime it was, i really enjoyed it :D
i must say that the author was very inspired by dragon ball no? i mean, anyone would say:

In Dragon Ball, Ki is to super sayains, AS
In Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan, Drill Power is to drillers :P
Jan 4, 2012 2:14 AM

Apr 2009
Finished this in two days.. overall I must say very good.. epic even.. but the ending was still dissapointing for me, i know theres two sides of the coin here but I was hoping for a more happier ending then seeing everyone old and ragged, and in some cases unhappy.
Jan 8, 2012 8:32 AM
Dec 2011
Seta19 said:
Finished this in two days.. overall I must say very good.. epic even.. but the ending was still dissapointing for me, i know theres two sides of the coin here but I was hoping for a more happier ending then seeing everyone old and ragged, and in some cases unhappy.

Was thinking the same. Awesome action but think I'm missing a happier ending. I mean why do Simon and Yoko end up alone and old!
Jan 14, 2012 9:03 PM

Jun 2011
Seta19 said:
Finished this in two days..

i finished it in 1 day .... 6.02 am right now .... its just the epicness
Jan 17, 2012 7:26 AM
Jan 2012
Simon: "I'll protect everyone! Against the Spiral nemesis as well!" -> goes on to become a bum, walking around and protecting nobody.

Right.
Jan 21, 2012 12:47 PM
Apr 2011
This anime is the definition of awesomeness... Also the first meccha anime that I really liked. Shame that I never bothered to watch this earlier, then again, it's a shame that it's over now. Can't watch it for the first time again... Still, was fun.
Feb 7, 2012 7:22 AM

Apr 2011
This anime....AWEWSOME!!!
The second meccha anime I see(first was Code Geass), and I have to say this anime is EPIC!!!
The ending was bittersweet, but the whole series was amazing!!!
Great anime,and definately I'm going to re-watch this some day...
9/10!!!!
Feb 17, 2012 4:30 PM
Jan 2012
the ending was perfect

leave the happy endings for disney movies.
Feb 21, 2012 3:12 PM
Aug 2011
Seta19 said:

I agree. I loved the show, but still, I would have liked if Yoko and Simon would get together. Afterall it's drama but, it's never bad with a happy ending imo :D
Feb 22, 2012 10:43 AM

Feb 2012
thompininja said:
I agree. I loved the show, but still, I would have liked if Yoko and Simon would get together. Afterall it's drama but, it's never bad with a happy ending imo :D

I also would have liked a happier ending, even though I like to see despair and hard times to see the characters get some depth But this is one of the anime where I actually would have loved a happy ending with Nia and Simon.
And the intro from #1 should have been used ^^
天の神
El. Psy. Congroo.
Mar 5, 2012 2:42 PM

Feb 2012
Mantiz said:
the ending was perfect

leave the happy endings for disney movies.

Yeah, seriously. The ending was bittersweet, just the way I like it. Mashing together a pair at the very end would just seem really messy (for all you Yoko x Simon shippers).
Mar 7, 2012 6:41 PM

Dec 2011
Well, I was hoping a "happy" ending.
I feel sad for Nia, Simon and Yoko.

Anyway, the series and the ending were great.
Mar 11, 2012 7:38 AM

Oct 2011
I'm not a big fan of mecha animes but this anime was realy awesome ,the ending was realy bittersweet but it seem fitting although I feel sad for Yoko because she ended up all alone and the teacher image doesn't seem fitting for her personality.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2012 9:03 PM

Jan 2012
Finished watching it on netflix on my xbox

Epi 27 was so epic it almost made me shed a tear :,)

As great as it was I really do hope they don't continue this series.
Mar 13, 2012 9:13 PM

Nov 2011
Possibly the best mecha series I've watched last year.
Pages (24) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

accela - Sep 22, 2007

222 by TheStarscream759 »»
Yesterday, 5:25 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Krelian - May 16, 2007

95 by rogire »»
Sep 22, 5:36 PM

Poll: » Gurren Lagann Episode 8 - Never Forget ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

windy - May 20, 2007

516 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Sep 14, 10:44 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MasterChief - May 10, 2007

184 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Sep 14, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

208 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Sep 14, 4:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.