Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 10, 2011 6:09 PM

May 2009
I just feel like crying right now. Such a bittersweet ending... Throughout the entire manga it was hinted at again and again that she had some terminal disease that would end up killing her, which only made me hope for a happy conclusion more. But this manga had to have a tragic ending, there was simply no other ending for it, in my opinion.

This is how I perceived the part at the shore. When they were sitting together in the boat and he asked her if she was sleepy and then said he could masturbate, she whispered in his ear "When I wake up, let's have sex.", and then she fell asleep and woke up again (or did she pass away then, I'm not sure). He definitely had sex with her because the huge "ギ" hiragana are sounds of the boat creaking, implying movement. She died either before or during the act since her body was positioned in the same way the whole time, even as he lay next to her and grabbed her hand, her fingers didn't close around his.

We never got to know much at all about Kurumi, but she did mention once that she didn't have any parents, even if she later told Aiba it was a joke. I guess that part on the train and the orphanage confirmed it. Damn, that only makes me more depressed - no parents and an incurable disease... However, in the end she was happy. Meeting and spending her limited time with Aiba.

The one thing I liked the most about this manga was probably the main character's growth as a person. Truly great.
stAtic91Jul 10, 2011 6:15 PM
Jul 10, 2011 6:11 PM

Dec 2010
Yeah, Kurumi herself knew she didn't have much time left in this world. So, she decided she'd raise somebody else up to live their life for her.
Jul 18, 2011 10:07 AM

Jun 2010
Bittersweet...

Aug 1, 2011 10:49 AM

Mar 2011
outlawauron said:
The exact fate of Kurumi and who exactly Hideo ended up with isn't completely known. I read it the first time as him marrying Kurumi later. I suppose she may died which makes this have a super sad ending. I dunno, I may choose to live in ignorance on this one.

misaseh098 said:
dammit.... and i was sugar coating my mind, telling that the woman she's with is kurumi... this is why i sometimes hate forums... waaaaaaaaaaah~

Well, I tend to be against everyone so I agree with you both, the latter woman with aiba on the last pages REALLY LOOKS LIKE Sahana, but if you notice, there's nothing mentioning her dying or her being alive. I believe the ending was designed perfetly to one's imagination, she does move her fingers during all those 'moans' and 'moviment indicators', and why would Aiba be looking up and smiling if she would had died, he's a frigging cry-baby afterall; but at the same time, she was bloody sick, a cold (Aiba said so) night wouldn't be much revigorating, but miracles can happen as much as tragedies.. Also, that teasing look/sentence of the girl with adult Aiba kinda looked like Sahana, but again, Sahana never complained about 'piss drinking' and the woman did...
One said that when the old man told the hospital director that he would be in troulbe since she would die, why is that so? Do you think that if someone sneaked on your hospital and "kidnapped" a patient people would be happy with you?
Aug 1, 2011 11:34 AM

Dec 2010
slycopperr said:

She's dead.

Sahana is still there in his memories. Of course he can never forget her. That's why he brought up the golden shower.

Look at the mole on the new woman's face. She's a different person.
Sep 2, 2011 5:32 AM
Mar 2010
My two cents is as follow:

In the scene at the beach they didn't have sex, but she gave him a handjob. that's why while he was huffing, you could only see one of her hands. After he cummed her hand fell back down and she died. She whispered before "When I wake up, let's have sex." but she didn't wake up. I'm going to guess she had aids, and that's why she refused to have sex with him. He's also impotent because of this. I think his smiling there was because it flew over his head and he didn't want to believe it was true, especially with her words before.

Someone else also posted about a reference to the Movie Shutter. I'm glad someone explained it because I got scared and closed the video a minute in. Basically it's like she was sitting on his shoulder and grabbed his head for balance and his head is pulled that way.

The manga does talk a lot about spirits and ghosts so who are be to judge he's happy just because he can still feel her with him. Maybe he's even content knowing that she would want him to go on. she told him he can't go with her, so he's determined to live out his life for her. Also what the doctor said to him fits in there too.

The orphanage scene confirms her parents deaths.

So in the end she died, but we must be happy, if not for our own sake then for hers... Fuck off tears. God dammit... I saw this coming from a mile away, I got mad how it pushed this and practically gave it away at every turn. I saw it coming... and yet I'm still hit by it.

I would recommend Onani Master Kurosawa here. It's not as dark or "odd" but it's defiantly one you want to read if you're into what this pulled, character development, "odd" storyline, and just generally feels in the same line, though it's happier.
Sep 3, 2011 6:25 AM

Apr 2010
I'm still not sure if she's dead(and that's better I don't want to cry). But if that's true he should preserve her corpse and use it to jerk off, maybe use her for blowjobs or handjobs. I think she'd be happy if her dead body could make him happy(but that would be very creepy and disturbing ending). And after reading this manga I think I started liking golden showers xD
Sep 19, 2011 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
Y'know, I think the saddest part about this manga is that
Sep 21, 2011 2:57 PM

Jan 2009
I really wanted Kurumi to live. From volume 5 onwards it became more and more apparent that it wasn't gonna happen, but I kept reading in hope of a happy ending. She was such a cheerful girl who enjoyed life, and the fact that she died at such a young age after developing such deep love with Aiba and friendship with the rest of the club members makes it one of the saddest endings in manga for me.

On a lighter note, the manga some really good humor. I rarely laugh out loud when reading manga, but Sundome got a few out of me nearly every chapter. Whether it's Aiba's obsession with pee, a little brother asking innocent questions at the dinner table, or sticking your penis in your love interests mail slot; it was all good stuff. I'll definitely be re-reading this sometime, regardless of the bittersweet ending.
Nov 12, 2011 7:06 PM
Aug 2011
I really don't know how to feel about the Ending ... Its so sad that Sahana died but I there are phew things i dont understand. For example what did Hideo mean with 'When my head starts to hang ... if its tighten like this .. it feels like this part here's being pulled' (its one of the last pages) and also did they have sex? Did she die while they did it?
Nov 20, 2011 2:29 PM
Jan 2010
Mangaka-san said:
I really don't know how to feel about the Ending ... Its so sad that Sahana died but I there are phew things i dont understand. For example what did Hideo mean with 'When my head starts to hang ... if its tighten like this .. it feels like this part here's being pulled' (its one of the last pages) and also did they have sex? Did she die while they did it?

someone already explained it, being a reference to shutter
and about them doing it, most likely NO, im quite sure that was just a handjob

This is a really amazing manga, and it stings my heart everytime i see the ending (yeah i looked at it for about 5 times, cause its just too beautiful)
Nov 20, 2011 2:37 PM

May 2011
zilentworld said:
Mangaka-san said:

someone already explained it, being a reference to shutter
and about them doing it, most likely NO, im quite sure that was just a handjob

This is a really amazing manga, and it stings my heart everytime i see the ending (yeah i looked at it for about 5 times, cause its just too beautiful)

No, he had sex with her. But she died before they started cancelling out his elimination from the College group.Sahana even said "i'm never going to have sex with you."
Nov 22, 2011 1:10 PM
Aug 2011
And my second question what he said to the doctor his quote
Dec 9, 2011 2:07 PM

Apr 2009
aznw3ir0 said:
Yes I understand!! I re-read the manga and Hideo Aiba says "when my head starts to hang,... If I tighten it here like this, it feels like this part here's being pulled." let me explain for some who don't understand.. When his head hangs, like in the shutter reference, there is Sahana sitting on his shoulders. When he tightens his neck and tries to straighten it out, he points to his chin and says it feels it is being pulled. Imagine if your sitting on someone's shoulders and they stand up as straight as they can... You try to grab onto something to prevent from falling right? the only thing available is the chin. OooOoOoOoO that is sorta creepy! But an awesome reference.

Awesome reference?! I won't be able to fall asleep tonight! *shivers*
Really guys, I was crying before I read this. Now I'm just freaked out.
*cough* Here's how I interpreted the "when my head starts to hang,... If I tighten it here like this, it feels like this part here's being pulled" part - he's talking about the imaginary collar he already mentioned earlier in the manga. So no creepy sitting on shoulders ;____;

Anyway, that was so sad. I saw it coming, like everyone else, but I was still hoping for a happy ending somehow (and not happy in this way)..
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Dec 13, 2011 5:24 AM

Jul 2010
This manga really is making me go crazy, giving such a tragic end to the story when I really want a happy ending. I love it and hate it at the same time. I could see the end coming from even very early in the series, but I couldn't help but wish otherwise. I wanted to close my eyes and say that woman at the end was Sahana, but I just couldn't do it because it was just too obviously not her. Even though Aiba can still feel Sahana with him at the end, it doesn't make me feel happy at all.

As for the ending, I believe that Sahana says "'When I wake up, let's have sex" that is her in the afterlife talking already. I think that what Sahana whispers to Aiba after suggesting to jerk off is to actually rub his crotch against her body, so nobody's hands need to be used. While in the middle of this, Sahana dies, and Aiba finishes the job even though he knows she died because that whisper must have been a request, and Aiba always tried to fulfill Sahana's requests and promises.
Feb 26, 2012 9:51 AM

Nov 2007
Really enjoyed the whole manga and liked the ending.
Maybe someone could put a link to the "Shutter" scene everyone's talking about, and what is that "ashes metaphor" someone mentioned?
Also, I would like to think that the protagonist only imaged the sex between her and that man, as he was only a doctor coming to see her.
decayFeb 26, 2012 9:57 AM

Mar 14, 2012 6:17 AM

Dec 2011
At first I was sugarcoating my mind into thinking that the woman at the end was Kurumi,but then I read this thread and my gut started to sink. Sad. Just,really,really,sad. Saddest manga I've read so far. The emotions that were portrayed in the manga is like none other :(

Apr 2, 2012 10:49 PM
Mar 2012
I finished this manga yesterday and have been mulling over the ending in my head trying to get some answers.

I don't think the point of it is whether or not she had a real disease and trying to classify it as something that we are familiar with doesn't seem to be the author's point.
Instead, consider the facts.
1) He became a doctor (implies help from the OB which implies he was still a virgin)
2)It seems pretty obvious that the phrase that begins "起きたら(When I wake up)" was what she whispered to him earlier, to which he responds ok.
3) The boat was moving and both of his hands were on the floor the entire time.
4) Her hand didn't move except to shake with the boat.

If we take these as givens, it's extremely likely that she died sometime after she whispered the final words to him and before he started doing whatever he was doing. The question that I have is what was he doing? I find it REALLY unlikely that he'd end up having sex with her corpse because that doesn't fit with the progression at all since in the beginning she did say that she'd never have sex with him.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that literally every hint the author gives throughout the entire story points to them not having sex EXCEPT the MC's actions at the end. What the hell was he doing? I honestly have no idea. Just rubbing or something probably.

If someone has counterpoints I'd love to hear them because I'm not even sure about what I just wrote.
Apr 11, 2012 12:17 AM
Apr 2012
Lots of spoilers here!

This is my first manga, I came across Sundome completely by accident while searching for another book. When I took a look, I was completely hooked, got all the books, and it's fair to say that I have been haunted by this series with the description of a strange love affair in which one person walking in the shadow of death ensures that she will leave her mark on the world, and we will always know that Kurumi Sahana did exist, through the legacy of her love for Hideo Aiba, and his love for her.
I would like to share my thoughts about this last chapter. When I first read it, for me it was profoundly sad, but at the same time a powerful statement of the power of love. Aiba is operating on two levels, he knows that Kurumi is dying and he has so little time to fulfill his promise to share the wave-flowers with her, but at the same time he wanted to ensure that Kurumi would leave this world knowing that she was loved, that she was the centre of Aiba's world, that as far as Aiba is concerned, he loves her out of passion, not pity.
In the last scenes by the shore with the failure of their attempts to have penetrative sex, Kurumi whispers to Aiba, "Tomorrow when I wake up", both knowing that because how close to death Kurumi is this will not be happening, fulfilling her promise from the beginning of the series that they will never have sex. Yet sex and passion is still important for both of them, and so Kurumi offers to use her hand to bring Aiba-we only see one of her hands in those frames- which both fulfills his final wish to show how much passion he is filled for Kurumi, and at the same time giving Kurumi the comfort to take her final journey-in one of the earlier volumes it is suggested that she teased Aiba by grabbing his penis when she was frightened, maybe at this point it is no longer a tease, as she faces her passing, she needs all the comfort she can receive from know ing how much she is still loved and an object of desire for Aiba. After he climaxes, they rest in each other's arms, they still have time for whispered conversations as well as silence, and sharing in a gentle love of presence to one another, at this point they have talk of the importance of the wave-flowers for Kurumi as a symbol that because of their love, she herself is a wave-flower giving beauty to the world through her passing, rather than simply sinking to the bottom. Then knowing what she has accomplished by being in the presence of someone who has healed her from her own wounds of loneliness from her troubled past, knowing that she has been, is and always will be loved by Aiba, at some point she fades away. I like to think that she leaves her body to become a spirit in Aiba's life, a constant reminder of what they shared with one another, how what they shared should continue to bring joy and happiness to Aiba's life-even in his relationship with his wife, and that now and again, she will give that a collar a gentle tug to get Aiba back on track!
As I said, this series will haunt me for a long while, it has been a blessing to share in this story of the mystery of love.
May 4, 2012 2:07 AM

Oct 2011
FortSandy said:
In the last scenes by the shore with the failure of their attempts to have penetrative sex, Kurumi whispers to Aiba, "Tomorrow when I wake up", both knowing that because how close to death Kurumi is this will not be happening, fulfilling her promise from the beginning of the series that they will never have sex. Yet sex and passion is still important for both of them, and so Kurumi offers to use her hand to bring Aiba-we only see one of her hands in those frames

Sorry, but I believe that your are misinterpreting the scene and the order of events. It has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread that the art is used very deliberately to strongly indicate that Kurumi is already dead during the intercourse. The lifeless, limp hand, the hidden eyes, Aiba's pained expression and Kurumi's body shown against the background which explains that the white foam are lifeless shells of plankton.

Yet something has been bothering me about the composition of the scene since I've finished the manga (well, something besides the necrophilia aspect) and I think I have a clearer picture of what it is now: The position of her right arm seems rather unnatural if you start with the assumption that she was already dead when Aiba started having intercourse with her. I'd rather expect that the arm would be closer to the body and not be bend behind the head unless Aiba positioned the arm himself and there's little reason why he should do it in the first place. So let's change the assumption to Kurumi being alive at the beginning of the intercourse and that she died in the process. That would offer a better explanation for the position of the arm. Maybe she caressed Aiba's face and it came to rest there when her life faded away or she used it to stabilize her head. Another advantage of this explanation is that it is not so damaging to Aiba's character as he wouldn't have disregarded Kurumi's wishes in the end by raping her undead body while still keeping the sundome aspect intact (he didn't come while she was alive after all). I don't think it's a problem that she said she wouldn't have ever sex with him as she made the proclamation at the very beginning of their relationship long before they developed their deep bond so it's only natural that your opinion changes, especially at the end of your life (if it ever was serious in the first place and not only used to tease him).
MatthesMay 4, 2012 2:15 AM
Jun 12, 2012 5:04 AM

Apr 2012
This manga was AMAZING! The ecchi scenes really stayed by the humor and balanced it out; so it wasn't just ecchi, it had me on the ground Laughing with joy and happiness. ^^ "Le perfect manga".

“Fear beyond rational limits forces people to cling to normality”
― Hiroya Oku
Jun 12, 2012 7:52 PM
Jun 2012
the way i took the ending with the "whenever my head gets heavy hangs" whatever comment was in reference to the pet ownership thing Kurumi had with him.

the idea that he was her loyal loved pet who guided him when wrong and made him into a man, and no longer that exile as she was.

also the "collar" number to each chapter. this all kinda made me thing that scene with the doctor at the end refers to Kurumi "pulling his chain and guiding him in the right direction"

either way. fucking so deperessing. just spent all night and got through it in one sit. that was an emotional rollercoaster and bomb lol.
the scene where kyouko seems to be laughing and says whilst actually crying shes so glad to have met her and the zoom out.

the "hideo go", "WOOF" scene was biggest tearjerker i think...

the two things i found attributed to the really depressing and different atmosphere compared to the rest of the chapters n volumes was the little himari even said or expressed
and probably in line with the "woof" thing as wel, the fact that hideo doesnt show any pain or saddness. THE LACK OF SAD IS SAD DAMMIT!!!! X( i mean i dont know whether to take it as the holding back of sorrow and despair to prevent needless words and not waste time or to save Kurumi the grief or whatever. but its just absolutely devastating TT_TT

im just kinda depressed and lost atm and dont really know how to vent it so *create account, comment*

seems that more and more frequently i keep finding these bitter sweet amazing stories that i value by far the most yet regret reading so much.
cant weigh the beauty of the stories to the resulting emotional impact of them...

THATS MY 2 CENTS
anyone actually fucked to read far or comment on ur view n validate some of this
CHEERS ^_^
p.s any error in names, fixed, or coherency i put to major lack of sleep. sorry in advance
GeeT02Jun 12, 2012 7:57 PM
Jul 8, 2012 4:40 AM

Mar 2009
I expected a more powerful ending.
Jul 10, 2012 3:08 PM
Jul 2010
AlexSadist-sama said:
I expected a more powerful ending.

Are you serious?
The ending wasn't powerful enough for you?
Nevermind the fact that he risked his hide and neck to break her out of the hospital, carry her on his back all the way to the station then to the beach and how she spent her final moments in his arms as he came on her by the one place he promised to take her.

I feel like the lack of closure is both a pro and a con but with all honesty it would have been nice for even a minute amount of detail. We never really get to glance at Kurumi's past and whilst that is a good thing in itself, the lack of any real development in her character other than her relationship with Aiba makes it extremely difficult to sympathise beyond the "love that never can be".
Aug 3, 2012 8:54 PM
Aug 2011
I dont think he ever would have gotten in trouble at that hospital because the sahana's doctor and the director of the hospital were OB's. Also aids can be transmitted through any bodily fluid.

If you reread the end of the first chapter he says "but I still thought the day when she and I became one was yet to come". This seems like foreshadowing to let you know that they dont have sex in that boat or that its not considered sex. Also it seems like in the beginning she's just messing around with him when she says that they will never have sex like how she said she use to be a boy. Later on it seems like she wants to have sex with him but wont because of the roman clubs rules, she's dying, because he wont ask for it, or a combination of the three. Remember the doctor said that she was waiting for him to make a move also she invites him to do things like rub her but hideo only thinks about rubbing himself.
Aug 3, 2012 9:23 PM
Aug 2011
Besides the chin thing mentioned earlier I think there is more evidence Sahana is a ghost watching over Hideo, like wen his wife goes to take a shower and has a sudden change of heart about the whole golden shower thing. Its not to strange to think that Sahana caused her to change her mind because the exchange is after Hideo says that Sahana still exist and this manga has a strong occult undertone.
Aug 6, 2012 6:03 AM

Sep 2009
I'm a bit conflicted with this manga. The drama is really good, but I still feel the ecchi is a bit too much. I think it actually has more to do with the extreme fetishes. I think this aspect could have been toned down a lot and still maintain the excitement of the drama. This would also help the manga to reach a larger audience.
Sep 3, 2012 9:43 AM

May 2008
This was surprisingly good, I was mostly indifferent to the extreme fetishes displayed or the ghost hunting hijikings but I really enjoyed most of it the story, I actually read this in its entirety in one afternoon. The only thing I didn't like is how vague it was about Kurumi's life and illness or the fact that it didn't give us any glimpse of what was going on in her head.

As for the ending, I was expecting her to die but since a lot of foreshadowing was done leading up to it but that doesn't mean I wasn't sad when it actually happened and in the back of my mind I was hoping for some deus ex machina to somehow make it into a happy ending.
MagEarwhigSep 3, 2012 6:10 PM
Sep 22, 2012 8:12 PM

Jan 2008
Just finished the manga from start in one go.

Think this is the first time I've ever teared up reading a manga let alone a book honestly. I don't read much manga though.

I could tell what was going to happen a lot earlier with all the foreshadowing but I just wanted to believe it wouldn't happen.

Now I'm very depressed.
Sep 23, 2012 10:27 AM

Mar 2010
Couldn't sleep last night. Finally got up at 5 and finished volume 8 this morning. The sense of loss is a bit overwhelming.

I wish more had been explained about Kurumi's background and illness. What was the deal with the scene on the train where they passed a children's home? I guess I'll never know.

Looks like I'm going to have to watch some comedy for a while....
Sep 23, 2012 7:48 PM

Oct 2009
daedalous said:
What was the deal with the scene on the train where they passed a children's home? I guess I'll never know.
The vague amount of information disclosed regarding Kurumi's past implies (perhaps it's even mentioned, I can't quite recall) that she was raised at an orphanage. So that was that, supposedly.
Sep 24, 2012 6:38 PM

Apr 2012
Wow. This manga... I'm actually at a loss right now. I thought she had some kind of a disease, but I really wanted to know what it was.
Actually, I'm more mad at the mangaka for not explaining a lot of things, but yeah..
I knew it was going to be some kind of bittersweet ending. No way a manga like this was going to end with a happy feeling.
Let me clear some things up.

You can clearly see here that she IS dead already and how the fuck did you come up with a fucking HANDJOB?! You must be really fucking blind.

This is a flashback. I don't really get what the author is trying to say here with "You were the same as me", but anyway.

Still flash from the scene before they started doing it. You can clearly see that she's whispering in his ear and she is saying "When I was up, let's have sex" knowing that she'll never wake up.

He's cuming here, but that's not the point. Look at her lifeless hand.. Handjob?! Saying like she was doing it with her left hand is fucking hilarious.

He was talking to himself here after he came on her dead body.

Probably when she talks back about the golden shower, he remembers her and shit. Probably.
I'm guessing he FUCKED her, because there's not even an explanation, but you must be blind or retarded if you think she was giving him a handjob.. Why?

It was quite the HARDCORE manga if you ask me. My dick feels strange and I feel strange too. Too bad the mangaka didn't want to write the details..
Sep 26, 2012 7:10 AM

Sep 2011
That ending, Saw it coming but was still hard to take in.
Sep 27, 2012 8:17 PM
Sep 2012
If this woman is not Kurumi then why does she use 'Fu' 'Fu' all the time like Kurumi did and why is she using very familiar language when talking about Kattsun and Kyouko chan like Kurumi did and not using their family names?
She is alive and still exists.
Oct 2, 2012 9:32 PM
Jul 2012
In the end...although i knew it was gonna happen....the tears still came.

Good for Hideo, becoming a doctor like he said he would.
I think it's Kurumi at the very end, and that opinion(a fact to me) won't change.
Oct 22, 2012 9:51 AM

Apr 2009
marduk666777666 said:
If this woman is not Kurumi then why does she use 'Fu' 'Fu' all the time like Kurumi did and why is she using very familiar language when talking about Kattsun and Kyouko chan like Kurumi did and not using their family names?
She is alive and still exists.

Wasn't it Hideo that said that?

Oct 24, 2012 12:54 AM
Aug 2012
I liked the manga but the mangaka didn't go very detailed in the end. It's still very vage.
Oct 26, 2012 8:01 PM

Apr 2011
mmm well the Manga was Excelent..Couldnt stop myself from reading it...and when i got the last Volume i stayed up reading it so when i got to the end i was tired and thats probly why i was confused xD...Well..at first i thought it was Kurumi who was with him at the end but the way she was talking to him revealed the Truth then reading other peoples comments i came to see what the truth was.....still saddened by the fact that they ended it with out telling us much(Like the reason she died and why she didnt want to have sex with him...Ah well do hope to find something like this soon..
Nov 8, 2012 10:16 AM

May 2012
Ended kinda unexplained, kinda disappointed. :O
But i liked the manga, it was good, i love ecchi, although this was pretty much hentai.
Nov 19, 2012 12:10 AM
Sep 2012
The ending was a bit anticipated, but I still cried on chapter 75, then chapter 76 made everything all better.
Nov 23, 2012 7:47 PM

Mar 2012
Honestly a great story. I don't care about all the in-depth details that critics go into, I just care whether something is able to move me emotionally. Sundome did just that, it skyrocketed itself to the top of my manga list, and if it was an anime as well, it would be at the top of that also.

I can proudfully say, as a guy, that this story has been the first to make me cry. Not tear up. Not have a few trickles run down my cheek. Fully, right out cry.

These types of manga are few and far in between. A great tragedy, with a complete and fulfilling end. 10/10 doesn't not suffice to how great this truly was.
Dec 18, 2012 6:07 PM
Dec 2012
Okay, so great manga made me cry like no manga had before, I think it's pretty clear that hideo's wife is a different person, to me it's pretty clear when he talks about the wave flowers, he's talking about her, and how she just passed away, i think he was rubbing off on her when she passed away. I think the reason she said she wouldn't have sex with him is because she liked him a lot from the start, and she knew that if he had sex he would lose all funding, and when you think about the series everything she did from the begining was to make him stronger, to make him better, like when he realizes that before he met her he always said I can't do it, and after he started hanging out with her, he would try to do anything for her.
A great manga, it will take me a while to recuperate, but definetively one of my favorites!
Dec 24, 2012 3:41 AM
Aug 2012
This fucking ending... All of my jimmies.
Jan 4, 2013 6:19 PM

May 2007
Kurumi is dead.

If you read some of the comments in the link I provided below, you will understand.

http://flabslapper.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/sundome-the-greatest-manga-with-the-greatest-disappointing-ending-the-really-unexpected-part-three/

The ending is truly bittersweet.....I sort of hate these "rough" endings, I'm generally not good with them, they just make me depressed.....gladly, I read and finished this manga about 2 or so years ago, so I've gotten over the depression that this series brought fourth.
Jan 16, 2013 9:18 PM
Jan 2013
Foreword:

After doing several additions over at another thread, I decided to start my own thread. This is just my own plot analysis of the story and should not be confused with the author's true intentions. However, what it does is serve as a food for thought, as well as link some plot holes together in the hope of understanding the meaning behind the story.

I do not claim ownership over this. I hope that anyone who comes across this thread is able to continue from where I left off, providing your own POV.
Also, my greatest wish is that in the pursuit of unravelling the story's meaning, someone may be inspired to write/draw/film their own story that is similar in style to this. Feel free to use this material however you want it :)

Spread the love for the manga, as I had.

A devoted reader and Kurumi worshipper
Keirave

-----------
Plot Analysis
-----------

As to Kurumi being sick, moley-guy being the doctor, Old geezer and moley guy being ex-Roman club members, meaning behind the plankton, the flash forward after kurumi's death, I suppose everyone knows the meaning behind them. So I will just add on from there.

The Roman club is symbolic to a "training club" of sorts. Either you look at it being

1) A place where "otakus" (in the story's meaning) become mature, or

2) It is MEANT to produce people who eventually hold key positions in helping humankind (such as lawyer or doctors).

Either ways, the club's alumni (meaning successful graduands) has two main missions:

1) To help humankind using "knowledge" as fruits and growth from their "training"

2) Foster the club members by putting them through "tests" (noticeably Kattsun and Hideo, who eventually becomes a lawyer and a doctor as well).

Sounds too far fetched? consider this, The ex-Pres did say that Alumni of the clubs are holding positions such as lawyers and doctors. (if someone could find that page for me i would be appreciative)

Leather masked guy at the swimming pool is an alum, and clearly, he would and he DOES knows who kurumi is:

1) A test for Hideo

2) The subject of one of the alumni's humanistic projects (aka alleviate Kurumi's eventual death).

This double intention was also what it meant for moley guy to say to old geezer "The outcome of all these will give you trouble"

(In case no one knew, Kurumi was NEVER meant to leave the hospital. She was suffering from a terminal blood-coughing-illness that requires permanent hospitalization. But old geezer felt that the Roman club was able to help Kurumi, and thus "released" her from her "shackles" illegally against hospital rules.)

I realize some are also confused over Kurumi's saying "You are the same as me". As for that, there are two possibilities:

1) Kurumi knew who her test subject was before she embarked on her "mission". This was evident since leather face made contact with the club early on in the manga and knew who she was. Also, when she spoke to <spooked Hideo> after <her majesty> died, she mentioned "You are getting stronger". This indicates the high possibility that everything was planned from the start.

(Also bear in mind that she voluntarily joined the Roman club with no questions asked. And she also didn't scout out any other clubs)

2) she did not know who she would encounter (ie met Hideo by chance). But if this was true, den it wouldn't make sense for the alumni to send her out of hospital to make contact with the Roman club. Overall it just doesn't make sense with all the other pieces.

As for what that statement meant, there are two meanings to it:

1) the two are more or less dead. Hideo was living a dead existence in school. He is isolated and outcasted as a freaky Otaku. Kurumi was a person on death's bed. In that sense, Kurumi becomes more dead as Hideo becomes more "alive". Eventually, she dies as a dead butterfly while Hideo emerges from the cocoon as a butterfly.

2) she's an orphan (duh). Thus she lacked parental love for her entire life. Parental love in this sense is people whom will give everything to their child without reservations (total submission). In this example, Hideo is able to be the one who gives himself totally to Kurumi, filling the gap as Kurumi's parents.

That's also the answer to Hideo's question "why me?". And also the explanation behind the fact it HAD to be Hideo and not other club members (Hideo is a total submissive sucker). This further reaffirms the fact that Hideo was chosen before the commencement of Kurumi's mission.

In a nutshell, they were able to provide that love to each other, but just in a different way for each person. (One chapter did had her say something like that, and Hideo's future narration saying "I did not know what she meant when she said that at that time")

if anything, sex was totally irrelevant to the moral of the story. The ability for the author to weave sex together with a plot such as this is something that demands my highest respect for. In short, the author should have, imo, been inspired by one statement: "I will never have sex with you." Thus the story weaves itself around this single statement, grips us all through the steamy scenes, brings us through Hideo's growth and Kurumi's weakening, and crashes it all with subtle meaning and wrenched hearts in the final chapter. (you all do realize that only the final final chapter that everything makes sense?)

So finally, in the final chapter, he reveals the meaning behind Kurumi's statement. :sad: (tearing as i write this part)

Formula: "I will never have sex with you" + "Let's have sex when I wake up" + <Kurumi never waking up> = Kurumi will have sex with Hideo after death.

It may seem like a "duh" moment, but please ladies and gentlemen, take time to ponder the above formula.

Done? ok. it was how Kurumi intentionally planned it. In this case, she denied Hideo until the last moment when she drew her last breath and said "lets have sex when i wake", knowing she would nv wake ever. This is for Hideo's sake, so she could "live" forever in Hideo. How it works is this.

Way of looking 1) If Kurumi had sex with Hideo, then any sex encounters Hideo would have after Kurumi's passing would no longer be significant (as sex is something easily "granted" by Kurumi to Hideo as well).

Way of looking 2) if Kurumi will only have sex with Hideo after death, it means that Every sex that Hideo has with (after her death) will be with Kurumi!!! Pretty lay-man way of me putting it but yea. this is how Kurumi "lives on" forever in Hideo.

Think hard, and think harder again. If you shuttle-read points (1) and (2) together back and forth + the formula given above, you would roughly understand my meaning. Doing so, you would also understand Kurumi's benevolence and sacrifice towards what (and how) she has done for Hideo. Of course in similar mangas/plots, having the female protagonist playing the role of a saint and killing her off eventually (thus adding even more meaning to her saint-ity) is pretty much everywhere.

:sad: cry your hearts away ladies and gentlemen. For THIS, is an outstanding manga!

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(
Jan 16, 2013 9:37 PM

Mar 2012
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Jan 28, 2013 12:20 AM

Dec 2012
The scenes before the time skip into the future was open up to our interpretation from the author. So here's mine :

Page 15-16 - Kurumi undresses and tells him to come over to her. The two panels at the bottom of page 16 was Aiba having sex with Kurumi. Pages 16-19 (the topmost panel) showed him with an extremely painful expression as he was having sex with her, the most painful being after he asked himself why did she choose him out of everyone. The sounds made were pretty much all from him. Page 17 shows her hands go limp.. The 2nd - 5th panel of page 19 was a continuation from top panels of page 16 as you can see that Kurumi was still sitting up, and she whispered something to him. Page 20 further shows Aiba's pained expression. He finally finishes on page 21-22. The 'When I wake up, let's have sex' was what Kurumi whispered to him back in page 19. Chronological order : Page 15 -> Top panel of page 16 -> 2nd to 5th panel of page 19 -> Bottom two panels of page 16 -> page 17 -> page 18 -> 1st panel of page 19 -> page 20 -> page 21 -> page 22.

Therefore, I believed that Kurumi felt tired and that her time has come, so she lied down after the conversation on page 19. However, she woke up for the last time some time after and this led to Aiba having sex with her. However, her body was too weak and halfway during the process - possibly just before Aiba came - she died. Aiba's pained expression could be from the fact that he realised that she was dying. Eventually, the final time they showed her hand on page 20 was where she died - therefore they showed Aiba's expression again. Hence, the title Sundome - Kurumi died right before Aiba came in the midst of their first ever love-making.

Although there is another possibility that Kurumi never woke up and Aiba was having sex with her dead body (Aiba's hands were straight so it is definite that he has sex with her), I choose not to take this possibility because Aiba would never defy Kurumi's words. Kurumi possibly thought that she would have died and thus never waking up, but in the event that she does - she probably wants to take it as a sign to have sex with Aiba.

As for the ending, I decide to take it for what I see. He regularly has sex with a woman who has a wedding ring - it might be a colleague at work, for all I care. He is always reminded of Kurumi and says that she still exists in his heart. At the very last panel at the end, I believe that it was him talking to the woman.

For thoughts about the series itself, I felt that it has quite a number of flaws - Some of the kinky sex particularly about pissing did not appeal to me at all, and a lot of the story was dragged out. A lot of really serious moments were also ruined because the author decided to turn it into something sexual. A strong point would be the fact that the main character undergoes good character development, as portrayed in the two goldfish. Also, when the sexual scenes were done at the right time, it created a whole lot of sexual tension making it extremely romantic. Although I dislike tragedies, I personally couldn't get Kurumi-chan out of my head for the few hours after reading the manga.

Final Score : 9/10. Could have been 10 if it didn't drag it out with pointless scenes.
ClawViperJan 28, 2013 12:28 AM
Jan 31, 2013 10:23 PM

Dec 2012
This ending... just perfect. The second manga that me cry like a baby. 9/10.
MastaJJan 31, 2013 10:32 PM
"When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it."
Feb 9, 2013 11:09 PM

Aug 2010
I don't think she had AIDS, it could have been any number of things like TB or Cystic Fibrosis (I don't think it matters as most sick people in manga/anime have an "unknown" disease.)

The part about her unwilling to have sex was mostly about her not wanting to form deep a connection with him and was part of their S&M play (IMO).

I still say she died "during" as it fits in with the title and concept of the manga in multiple ways.
Feb 15, 2013 12:02 AM
Feb 2013
Hey guys I decided to Reread Sundome and, out of curiosity, stumbled here. Originally I thought Kurumi was alive at the end and now I know she is not. I've been gripping with this ending all day as it had been really bittersweet. However, I now can say Sundome (in my opinion) did have a good ending if one looks past death.

1. One of the main themes between Hideo and Kurumi's relationship is that Kurumi would always be there and watch over him. Remember "her existence is your existence". Now while she did die Hideo complained of a neck pain similar to when Kurumi was on his shoulders. She is still there and is spiritually and partly physically bonded to him.

2. In truth Kurumi's death was the greatest gift Hideo could receive. Consider this, now Hideo knows there is an afterlife, Kurumi is still in existence, and she is still with him. So when he dies Hideo will meet Kurumi in his teenage form much like the manga "My Lovely Ghost Kana." Also, if Hideo were to try and commit suicide Kurumi would probably stop him in some fashion in order for him to live first. Hence the title "Sundome".

3. The Roman Club has a heavy influence on the manga. Despite the whole "make a man our of you" motto it also deals with spirits. Therefore it is not a stretch to believe Kurumi is still spiritually attached to Hideo and waiting for his corporeal death, only to realize their eternal love. Besides, Kurumi would be cured of her terminal illness and would rome the earth with Hideo having fun adventures....and sex lol.

So I feel as though Sundome may have a good ending with a bittersweet conclusion. The ideal ending would be Hideo eventually trying to commit suicide and being stopped by ghost Kurumi. They both talk and she makes one of those promises such as "if you die before your time we're through". Hideo lives to be an old man and while on his deathbed sees Kurumi. She lends out her hand, he takes it, and then he dies. Hideo's spirit is that of his teenage self and Hideo initiates sex with Kurumi. Afterwords time passes, we get a glimpse of the new Roman Club, and Hideo (along with the old Roman Club) watching over them. Thoughts?
SplendidsafeFeb 15, 2013 12:08 AM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What to read that is similar to Sundome?

Elpato891 - Mar 16, 2018

8 by Toranagii »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:57 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 72 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Jul 8, 2012

4 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:30 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 71 Discussion

3 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 68 Discussion

Explicitz - May 27, 2011

9 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:10 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 67 Discussion

5 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.