Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2009 5:47 PM
Jun 2008
THIS IS AN MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
This manga has been one hilarious ride, and the ending, while perhaps a little iffy, totally made up for it in terms of humour. Julia and Ran sure can get people to laugh, and of course, Saeki has to throw in her two cents.

An interesting wrap up for a great manga series, though it wouldn't hurt anyone at all if it ever got picked up again. It would have been nice to see more of Julia and Ran together--I love those girls!
May 6, 2009 5:34 AM

Nov 2007
It's a joke. right? THIS IS THE END?!

NO WAY!

The manga was so good all the way and this... this... this is horrible! this ending was horrible!
Ran is disappearing and being found on the same chapter?! and that's the end?!

I can't believe it...

May 6, 2009 5:39 AM
Jun 2008
Yes, I think there's a general consensus going around that the ending was complete rubbish, although the Last Order compensated by being one of the funniest conclusions I've read.

I've spoken to someone about this, and they said that this whole plot point should have at least taken a few more chapters to flesh out, and I concur.

But if you read the mangaka's notes, she did say she wanted to take a break and maybe jumping the shark with the story was the best way she could have got out of it. It's sort of sad to think that it had to happen that way. She did say that there may be a chance she picks it up again, but as far as I can tell, with THAT ending in particular, this is the end of Strawberry Shake Sweet.

If you want to get a fix of sweet yuri comedy, I suggest Sasameki Koto. It's going to be made into an anime soon, hopefully, and it's pretty good. Not as funny as SSS, but it has more romantic elements to it.
May 6, 2009 7:40 AM
Feb 2009
Whoa. That's shocking. I didn't know this chapter is the end as well. Well, better than the series being discontinued out of nowhere, I guess...
May 6, 2009 1:29 PM

Sep 2008
I didnt mind how it ended, just the swiftness of the ending. To much happened in the final chapter that I think under normal circumstances would have encompassed 5-6 chapters. I dont know what the deal was if the artist wanted to wrap it up or if it was going to get canceled or what but hopefully it will be revisited at a later date. I still find it to be my favorite manga I have read. And the Last Order special was a very nice makeup for the lackluster ending.
May 6, 2009 2:56 PM
Jun 2008
Skadi said:
I dont know what the deal was if the artist wanted to wrap it up or if it was going to get canceled or what but hopefully it will be revisited at a later date..

She said something like, maybe she'll see them again, which I guess can be translated as, if she feels like it in the future, she'd pick up some more stories with them but just don't keep our fingers crossed.

And she directly said she had enough with it!
May 7, 2009 12:53 AM

May 2007
strange ending indeed , but at least they knew their true feelings before this strange ending
so even if it was rushed up, the manga was still great

May 12, 2009 1:36 PM

Jun 2008
Maybe I'm giving the author a bit too much credit, but I'd like to think of the ending as almost a slap to much of the drama found in most yuri/shoujo-ai stories. Especially when Julia confronts Ran's mother and the mother spews Ran's past for no real reason and Julia just basically retorting that she could really care less about any of that....she just wants her woman back! SSS had quite a bit of this running throughout it(remember the scene with Kaoru saying that love has nothing to do with gender....then pretty much tossing that cliché babble aside and said she love Haruna BECAUSE she's a girl.

Of course, overall, had the author decided to just skip the whole Ran goes missing bit and just when straight to their dilemma over finally having sex, it might have flowed a lot better.

Overall, I still love this series and hope someone brings this one over.
Jul 5, 2009 9:20 PM

Jul 2009
The ending was a little disappointing. I was reading it yesterday and it just felt like the missing part was filler despite it being part of the canon manga story.. They still end up together at least, so it wasn't all bad.
Mar 20, 2010 8:51 AM

Jul 2008
The ending was really rushed...a little disappointing but I still cant help but love this series. :]
It was funny and interesting throughout the whole story and kept me reading until the end.
The incompetent and the airhead make a cute and hilarious couple. Plus Saeki with her stressing and matrix skills...wonderful.
Bleed for me.

May 4, 2010 4:33 PM

Aug 2008
Even though im a guy or maybe because i am, i find i can quite often be messed around by too much drama, that is to say, i cant handle emotions being played with too well.

Well ignoring the initial shock and thinking i missed a chapter or two, i rather liked the last part once alll was said and done. Just like it had been it continued to very cute, loveable and funny. I think it ended in a way that suited the characters.

Still an extra chapter or two if done well would of been nice, if keeping with the humour, showing Ran stalking Julie, and Julie going crazy from her imagination would of been enjoyable for me. Rather than not revealing where Ran was, building tension and suspense, leaving me feeling slightly uncomfortable and anxious, though i expect some humor would be included to keep it getting too serious.

Anyrate i gave it a 10, i loved the characters, and dispite the rushed ending it ended well, which you cant always say. Definately a cute and loveable little manga, i can only hope my next read is enjoyable as this was.
Aug 21, 2012 7:37 PM

Apr 2011
The ending was a bit rushed, but this manga was made me smile and laugh out loud more than many other comedies. I'm glad the author didn't show them have sex, but I wanted to see some lovey-doveyness in the form of kissing.

8.5/10 rounded up to 9/10

EDIT: 100th post! =D
Jul 7, 2013 12:07 PM

Jan 2008
This last chapter seemed to rush the ending a little bit but overall I loved this manga! Julia and Ren are just so cute together! :3
Mar 31, 2017 1:17 AM

Jun 2013
I don't think the ending was rushed. There's no need to elongate the drama with Ran's mother. It's out of place because SSS has always been about comedy. Even that last "arc" was ended in a comical way. It just suited with the nature of this manga. I mean the author could have ended it right after they became a couple, but she didn't. Instead the story went beyond the confession and showed a bit of what's happening after the feelings were known. Not to mention there is the Last Order that showed Julia and Ran living together. It's perfectly concluded if anything.
Aug 4, 2019 6:53 PM

Jun 2015
I liked the end. I think parent drama is always so boring in these kinds of stories so I didn't mind the quick end.
:)

More topics from this board

Poll: » deleted

removed-user - Sep 20, 2016

1 by Iizy »»
Dec 8, 2020 12:08 PM

Poll: » Strawberry Shake Sweet Chapter 14 Discussion

Volkova - Jul 7, 2013

1 by Wannabiteme »»
Jun 27, 2015 3:24 PM

Poll: » Strawberry Shake Sweet Chapter 10 Discussion

Volkova - Jul 7, 2013

1 by Wannabiteme »»
Jun 27, 2015 1:47 PM

Poll: » Strawberry Shake Sweet Chapter 16 Discussion

Volkova - Jul 7, 2013

0 by Volkova »»
Jul 7, 2013 11:49 AM

Poll: » Strawberry Shake Sweet Chapter 15 Discussion

Volkova - Jul 7, 2013

0 by Volkova »»
Jul 7, 2013 11:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.