Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Subbed vs Dubbed
Apr 10, 2013 9:40 PM

Jan 2013
I'm wanting to watch it, but I have no idea which is better. Often the subbed are pretty good, but I can think of enough where I prefer the dubbed to be indecisive. Any suggestions?
[url][/url]
Apr 10, 2013 9:44 PM

Nov 2009
Well as a general rule of thumb subbed will be more professional, in Japan voice actors are celebrities, they are well known and paid highly, as you can imagine then, the competition is fierce, the "top" are talented ... whereas in America ... dubbing a Japanese anime isn't exactly the most heavily competed for job opportunity, even for voice actors it is probably leaps and bounds better to try and voice act for Disney or any American Cartoon / Comedy shows (family guy, simspons, archer, south park, etc.)

Long story short, unless you are certain that you will like dubbed I would always stick to subbed ... unless you can't stand reading the text, but then might as well always go dubbed.
Apr 10, 2013 9:47 PM

Jun 2007
Pirating_Ninja said:
Well as a general rule of thumb subbed will be more professional, in Japan voice actors are celebrities, they are well known and paid highly, as you can imagine then, the competition is fierce, the "top" are talented ... whereas in America ... dubbing a Japanese anime isn't exactly the most heavily competed for job opportunity, even for voice actors it is probably leaps and bounds better to try and voice act for Disney or any American Cartoon / Comedy shows (family guy, simspons, archer, south park, etc.)

Long story short, unless you are certain that you will like dubbed I would always stick to subbed ... unless you can't stand reading the text, but then might as well always go dubbed.

I don't know if you just think that's true or if you did it on purpose, but you're REALLY exaggerating. Just saying.

As for FMP - I actually really enjoyed the dub, give it a shot. Mao is infinitely better in English, and I felt like Sousuke sounded less like a 50 year old Japanese man in the dub. Vic Mayonnaise did a real good job getting Kurz personality across without being as generic as the JP actors as well.
Apr 11, 2013 3:25 PM

Jan 2013
Any older anime that has a dub, I usually choose that over sub. Easier to marathon that way, don't have to pay close attention at all times.
Apr 12, 2013 8:59 AM

Jan 2013
Thanks for the quick replies! But this
TallonKarrde23 said:
As for FMP - I actually really enjoyed the dub, give it a shot. Mao is infinitely better in English, and I felt like Sousuke sounded less like a 50 year old Japanese man in the dub. Vic Mayonnaise did a real good job getting Kurz personality across without being as generic as the JP actors as well.

is what I was looking for :P
[url][/url]
May 2, 2013 11:26 AM

May 2012
-DUB-

The FMP English dub is amazing! Every single character is perfectly cast (Luci Christian and Chris Patton especially) and easily trumps the original Japanese! Plus it's just so much funnier!
May 2, 2013 11:40 AM

Dec 2012
Sub always go sub.
May 12, 2013 12:53 PM

Oct 2010
Watched it subbed first time round, now re-watching it dubbed (at ep 19 atm). I prefer Sousuke, Mao, Kurz, Gauron and Kaname more in the dub, although the sub is pretty good too.
Jul 26, 2013 7:26 AM

May 2012
I just rewatched this subbed and yeah it's just not as good. All the characters sound so bored and all the submarine military talk is boring to sit through in Japanese. The English cast infuse the characters with so much life and excitement, i love it so much. (Also, both Kaname and Sousuke sounded way older than they're meant to be.)

Not to mention that it makes no sense how all the English/American/German characters on the show are speaking Japanese. You may claim how it makes no sense how Japanese characters are speaking English, but it's messed up either way... With that said the English version is best!!!!!!!!!
who_dat_ninjaJul 26, 2013 7:30 AM
Apr 12, 2015 9:55 AM

Jul 2014
This is one of the more better dubs I've heard, subs are ok.
Apr 13, 2015 12:55 PM
Oct 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:

I'm with you that subbed is almost always better... but you exaggerate way too much. Hiring for dubs is competitive and most are experienced and professional voice actors. In my opinion, the main problems come about when dubbed actors are miscast or the lip syncing is bad .

I don't even have to do any research to know that the vast majority of voice actors in Japan are not "celebrities", at least not to the general population.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Full Metal Panic! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TuzoAnime - Jul 26, 2008

80 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 25, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Full Metal Panic! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

notestinet - Apr 25, 2008

116 by JoexySun »»
Apr 6, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Full Metal Panic! Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Apr 24, 2008

73 by DebiPS »»
Mar 17, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Full Metal Panic! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Apr 23, 2008

50 by PurpleMagic »»
Feb 11, 7:34 PM

Poll: » Full Metal Panic! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Apr 23, 2008

61 by CheungCrygor8818 »»
Feb 5, 1:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.