Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2010 6:45 PM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, that was extremely disappointing. Rather than following on from the excellent plot rearrangement that occurred in the second movie, the third movie ended up being a lazy version of what happened in the source material. It seemed as if the team behind the movie trilogy had lost all interest - making one huge change as if it was nothing, only including the confession/proper ending (interestingly, the manga version, rather than the slightly edited TV version) as a series of stills next to the end credits, and there being numerous panning shots across poorly drawn crowds and the like. Nishimura didn't even appear in the film AT ALL, even though him not playing against Tatsuya in the prequel suggested they'd meet in the semi-final.

For starters, Minami quit gymnastics as if it was nothing; going back to being a baseball manager. This made the new scene in the prequel, where Tatsuya told Minami to focus on herself for once, pointless, and it made no sense for her to just quit. It was an edit without thought, done only so Minami would get a little more time since she had no real role in the last stretch of the story.

There was ONE new scene with the main two together: Minami asked Tatsuya if he'd take her with him, in the event of him ever running away from home. Tatsuya gave no response. The scene ended.

The vast majority of the film was spent going over the woes of Kashi-whatever, with a few adjustments that made his involvement even worse. In this version, he never took the fall for his brother, which allowed his big bro to watch the final together with his wife, and there was a lot of pointless extra dialogue between the coach and Tatsuya during the final... oh, and his character was toned down, for whatever reason - him no longer beating the crap out of Tatsuya when introducing himself, or requiring a slap from Minami.

Simply put, the film was a hack job of the least interesting part of Touch. There not even being an ending, or any resolution with regard to Minami and Nitta, was the icing on the cake. It was a waste of time, and I wish the previous two films hadn't built up my hopes for a fitting conclusion to a story I loved, to start with...
AironicallyHumanSep 5, 2010 6:50 AM
Jun 12, 2011 5:37 PM

Sep 2008
Bleh, summarizing the coach arc was horrible. Almost nothing made sense and the ending of it was horrible. Where was the romance and the forgiveness of the coach. None of the team seemed to develop at all...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2012 7:25 PM
Aug 2007
Yeh, didn't like how rushed everything was.. the coach wasn't even that rude in the film, we only saw maybe one or two sessions of slightly harsh training and then it went straight to the matches.

Was the school camp even mentioned at all in the movies? I don't think so..

It missed the romance as well.. and also Yuka and Nishimura (as much as I hate them).. especially because it didn't make sense how Minami just quit gymnastics so easily..
Jul 19, 2015 10:05 PM

Jan 2015
Definitely the weakest of the three, shame there wasn't a great conclusion. Lol at the bit of Minami watching that version of the original Touch OP.
Aug 5, 2020 1:09 PM

Jul 2015
I understand that the third part had a lot of episodes and would be more difficult to compile, but the coach in felt less demonic without the senseless beatings. I believe the talk between Eijirou and Nishio would have been nice to show how he changed to stop his revenge and follow his love for baseball. Kinda wished they also added the part where Tatsuya calls Minami to tell her he loves her instead of that montage in the ending.

Sep 29, 2021 10:13 AM

Jan 2018
"After You Passed By" is the 3rd Touch movie and it tries to condense 2 whole parts of the original anime under 80 minutes. Big yikes. Predictably this is probably the worst movie out of the trilogy.
My first thought was did they just skip a year? They probably could've included it if there were 4 movies (for each parts) instead of 3 but oh well.

Minami quit gymnastics and became a baseball club manager again... hooray... I guess? But there's a small plothole due to this. When she met Eiichirou in front of Meisei main building I think she should've already been in manager getup instead of leaving like it appeared in the original anime.

MAL synopsis said a major character was cut from this movie. I actually thought it was going to be the Demon Coach. But he was too vital of a character to just cast aside. Instead they cut Nitta's sister Yuka (yay) and Nishimura... even though he was in the last movie (I think?).

They completely ruined Eijirou's character arc in this movie version. They toned his cruelty down from the TV ver. Why? I thought movies usually are allowed to be way more violent than TV shows so ratings argument doesn't exactly work here. He barely even deserves the title "demon coach" here. I assume he pulled more shit off-screen but judging by what they've already shown in the movie itself that seems super unlikely.
But that's just a minor thing. They changed his backstory for no goddamn reason other than saving time Ig, but even that is hard to justify.
Idk if it's just the subs but the end dialogue between Uesugi and Kashiwaba in this movie felt subpar. I really loved the dialogue in the og Touch. They almost seem weightless here.
Eiichirou also has no qualms against Eijirou in this timeline Ig so he happily comes to watch his little brother coach in the final match. So much of the story regarding the Kashiwaba brothers and the girl are wrong here that they feel pointless, almost as much as Minami in this movie.

They didn't even adapt the whole ending. They just won the game and the epilogue was just a bunch of slideshows played with the credits. It wasn't satisfying. The rivalry between Tat-chan and Nitta also didn't hit right.

This trilogy already takes so many creative liberties from the original, albeit caused mainly due to time constraints. They could've just taken this the whole way through and completely restructure the narrative to be at least something cohesive but I suppose they didn't have the rights to fundamentally change Touch's story. So instead you're left with this watered down mess. I think I'm letting this 3rd movie make me judge this trilogy too much here but it can't be helped since this should've been the fruit of what the last 2 movies sowed.

There's probably some guy out there whose only exposure Touch are these movies, not the anime or the manga. Maybe he thought he'd be saving time watching these and didn't bother watching/reading the original thinking he already knows what happens and that it'd be a waste of time. I'm glad I'm not that guy. But even if this trilogy was the only exposure of Touch to me I'd probably still think the last movie is trash and everything that I would've known about Touch would just fade out of memory after a while. But I think I'll remember Touch (101 episodes) for some time at least.

Now to check out movie 4 and 5 which may or may not be connected to this trilogy of films and hopefully they're more tied to the original. It probably doesn't matter either way but this last movie didn't leave much of an impression on me so I don't know if I'd enjoy those.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.