Forum Settings
Forums

What do we think of the anime community today?

New
May 20, 2017 6:32 PM
Feb 2017
Some say it's the greatest thing to be a part of. Others say it's become a cancer-induced cesspool. I'm personally in the middle. I like that there are other people out there who like the same things I do. However, I think that some of us can be a little harsh towards one another just because we like something different. I know we're all allowed to have different opinions and we can't all be best friends but it seems like there's a lot more hate than there is enjoyment. What do you guys think?
May 20, 2017 8:36 PM

Feb 2015
Ehhh, I think a lot of anime community are becoming more like a house of congress. :/

Maybe that's why I feel like I don't fit to it or something like that...

May 20, 2017 8:46 PM

Nov 2013
Anime community? You mean that group of nerds who like Japanese cartoons? Those guys are the worst.
May 20, 2017 8:49 PM
Jul 2018
The online community is mostly cancer. The convention community seems pretty cool but I don't really fit in. They also have some cancer in the form of fedora tipping white knights with a hidden agenda who say m'lady all the time, as well as some cancer remniscent of online elitism and judgemental mentality, but it's not nearly as bad.

Also everyone is a pretentious critic which is why I stopped doing reviews(mostly). I realized the error of my ways and definitely don't review something badly just because I don't understand it/identify with it anymore. Some are good but just not meant for you.
May 20, 2017 8:53 PM

Sep 2014
well it depends on which anime community.
Forums like MAL and anidb are alright because the comments are moderated so there are never any heated arguments.
Social Media pages on Facebook, etc are CANCER, they are basically the majority of the toxicity present in the anime community as a whole. Stuff there is either cringe or out of context which ruins the whole purpose of an anime appreciation page.
Image boards such as reddit and 4chan are really informative. As bad as 4chan sounds there r actually nice people on it who r willing to help anime newbies. FYI the only bad people on 4chan r on /b and /pol
May 20, 2017 8:59 PM

Nov 2013
BakaKuro said:
Forums like MAL and anidb are alright because the comments are moderated so there are never any heated arguments.
Social Media pages on Facebook, etc are CANCER, they are basically the majority of the toxicity present in the anime community as a whole. Stuff there is either cringe or out of context which ruins the whole purpose of an anime appreciation page.
Image boards such as reddit and 4chan are really informative. As bad as 4chan sounds there r actually nice people on it who r willing to help anime newbies. FYI the only bad people on 4chan r on /b and /pol
I'm always appreciative of how MAL is generally free of heated arguments. Speaking of which... I was watching this series called Evangelion a while back, and I've been struggling to decide on best girl for the series. Any thoughts?
May 20, 2017 9:04 PM

Sep 2014
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
BakaKuro said:
I'm always appreciative of how MAL is generally free of heated arguments. Speaking of which... I was watching this series called Evangelion a while back, and I've been struggling to decide on best girl for the series. Any thoughts?

idk man.... both main girls are both as bad. But if i had to, i'd choose Rei over Asuka anyday
May 20, 2017 9:09 PM

Feb 2014
BakaKuro said:
haha im guessing you never saw the ubw threads
May 20, 2017 9:11 PM

May 2015
Pretty cancer tbh. Worst part is the hipsters that shit on almost every anime they watch. Or the ones that rag on the most popular new show every season, yet they still continue to watch it so they can bitch and moan in the episode threads.

May 20, 2017 9:23 PM

Sep 2014
okies said:
BakaKuro said:
haha im guessing you never saw the ubw threads

Thank god i wasn't here when that happened.
Kittens-kun said:
Pretty cancer tbh. Worst part is the hipsters that shit on almost every anime they watch. Or the ones that rag on the most popular new show every season, yet they still continue to watch it so they can bitch and moan in the episode threads.

there's a condensed population of them on Facebook, so just avoid Facebook and u probably won't see much of that cancer anymore.
May 20, 2017 9:29 PM

Jul 2014
Eat or be eaten. Conform or we'll conform you.

@bakakuro rly the mal forums are tame? it's a playground for shitposting.
May 20, 2017 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
RBD_Titan said:
Some say it's the greatest thing to be a part of. Others say it's become a cancer-induced cesspool. I'm personally in the middle. I like that there are other people out there who like the same things I do. However, I think that some of us can be a little harsh towards one another just because we like something different. I know we're all allowed to have different opinions and we can't all be best friends but it seems like there's a lot more hate than there is enjoyment. What do you guys think?

Take this, apply it to "humanity."
Think about it for a while...
May 20, 2017 11:20 PM

Jul 2016
OppaiSugoi said:
Eat or be eaten. Conform or we'll conform you.

No. Nobody fucks with me on my mission to spread sexual anime things or they earn themselves an ignore, block, or both. ;)
May 20, 2017 11:40 PM

May 2017
Friendly trolling is their specialty, but that could be said about any community
May 21, 2017 12:37 AM

May 2017
better than before? or same ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
i am shitposter. dont take me seriously.
May 21, 2017 12:41 AM

Jun 2014
I am very open to my stance about this community being terrible. "Weeaboos" aren't the bad fans. The fanbase in general is just very toxic.
May 21, 2017 12:51 AM

May 2015
I could do with less irony and self-depreciation on these forums. Other than that, I'm fine with it. I still find interesting discussions here. You just have to avoid shitposting.

Specifically the Israeli community is fantastic, very cheery and happy and accepting. Anime conventions are a joy to go to.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 21, 2017 12:56 AM

Aug 2015
It's pure cancer online. But I think it's the same for every community with a large fanbase. The only thing we all have in common is that we like anime, which leaves plenty of room to hate anyone with different tastes.

It's better offline, but that's just because people don't behave the way they do online. Anonymity and stuff.
May 21, 2017 1:24 AM

Feb 2013
grabbing the baton from our vip ecchifag, i will claim there is no such thing as anime community
May 25, 2017 6:50 AM

May 2015
Kami-Koto said:
It's pure cancer online. But I think it's the same for every community with a large fanbase. The only thing we all have in common is that we like anime, which leaves plenty of room to hate anyone with different tastes.

It's better offline, but that's just because people don't behave the way they do online. Anonymity and stuff.

I think it's because the ultra-ironic people don't go to conventions. They know their irony is unwelcome and pointless there. Calling a bunch of happy people weebs makes you look like a sad sack outside the internet.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 25, 2017 2:49 PM

Jul 2015
They are probably are mostly geeks that like to whine about everything, just like the geeks that like comics, or sci-fi stuff like Star Wars or Marvel, etc. I read entries from The Anime Encyclopedia, the authors are just elitist that worked in the anime industry that liked dumping on a lot of anime series in that book. Really, why can't we have a reference that just has a good description of a series without this cynicism. That book is written for anime fans, and not anime haters. That may be the problem of the anime community nowadays.
May 25, 2017 2:52 PM

Jan 2016
At least from my perspective, we have things to fix such as illegal streaming (that could be solved with more availability possibly) and an occasional difficulty for some people to get into the community however overall I think the community is pretty good and can bring some good things for the future ;)
May 25, 2017 2:57 PM

May 2016
The anime community is great! Everyone is so nice and positive, I wish all communities were like us! We all work together to spread our happiness and friendship, we are really unique in that regard! We are obviously better than all those western cartoon guys who always shit on our anime and stuff, they need a lesson in friendship if you ask me, teehee!

orz
May 25, 2017 3:20 PM

May 2014
The community is pretty unforgiving, and if you make a single mistake, the dickier members of the community will pounce on you and never let you forget it.

In every community, there are elitists, but it doesn't make them any less annoying.

As anime is getting more mainstream, less special snowflake assholes and more normal, nice people are in the community. I think it's great.
May 25, 2017 3:50 PM

Aug 2014
It's a great community full of loving people and outgoing people.

More topics from this board

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 17 minutes ago

5 by Spunkert »»
17 seconds ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

44 by Saiunknown »»
49 seconds ago

» New anime fans have an extreme inferiority complex and huge beef with older fans

EastIndiaCompany - 18 minutes ago

3 by Spunkert »»
6 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

28 by DigiCat »»
9 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

13 by Lucifrost »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.