Forum Settings
Forums

How has your taste in anime changed over time?

New
Apr 10, 2016 12:39 PM
Apr 2016
What anime did you first begin watching and how long ago was that? Have your standards for anime changed over the years?

I started with Pokemon when it came on TV in the late 90's, nearly 20 years ago, and years later that anime was not good compared to works like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Spirited Away, and Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, anime that I have watched later on in my life. My standards have definitely changed over time. I used to be won over by simple things but now it takes only complex things to win me over.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 2016 12:41 PM

Feb 2013
I started with Pokemon when it came on TV in the late 90's, nearly 20 years ago, and years later that anime was not good compared to works like Slayers, YuYu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Shaman King, anime that I have watched later on in my life. My standards have definitely changed over time. I used to be won over by shounenshit but now it takes more cute girls to win me over.
Apr 10, 2016 12:41 PM

Sep 2015
From mild to spicy. I like it raw and intense.

I used to settle for shows that made me laugh, but now I need entertainment that offers something thats visually or emotionally intense to keep my intrest.
QABJABApr 10, 2016 1:22 PM

Rarity is Best Pony!
Apr 10, 2016 12:45 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
When I first started reading manga about 4 years ago I literally only read harems. Nowadays I go through just about any genre from any medium. So yeah
Apr 10, 2016 12:46 PM
Apr 2016
romagia said:
I started with Pokemon when it came on TV in the late 90's, nearly 20 years ago, and years later that anime was not good compared to works like Slayers, YuYu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Shaman King, anime that I have watched later on in my life. My standards have definitely changed over time. I used to be won over by shounenshit but now it takes more cute girls to win me over.

Why did you decide to claim that cute girls is the reason to win you over in anime?
Apr 2016
HaXXspetten said:
When I first started reading manga about 4 years ago I literally only read harems. Nowadays I go through just about any genre from any medium. So yeah

Similar to me, except I never liked the concept of a harem in the first place. It is scattered.

Sep 2014
At first I liked animes such as Shaman King, Pokemon,etc. But when I grew up I started liking animes such as Death Note, Spice and Wolf and lots of ecchi animes.
Apr 10, 2016 12:49 PM

Oct 2014
I technically started watching anime 10 years ago or so when I was a kid, although I wasn't an anime fan until 2 years ago. My first anime was Hamtaro, a cute shoujo slice of life anime about hamsters. What I watch now isn't really that different.
Apr 10, 2016 12:52 PM
Apr 2016
Difionex said:
At first I liked animes such as Shaman King, Pokemon,etc. But when I grew up I started liking animes such as Death Note, Spice and Wolf and lots of ecchi animes.

Why did you decide to watch ecchi anime later on in life? I can understand Death Note, but ecchi anime is a questionable choice for later progression.
Apr 10, 2016 12:53 PM

Sep 2014
CCBlueBlood said:
Difionex said:

Why did you decide to watch ecchi anime later on in life? I can understand Death Note, but ecchi anime is a questionable choice for later progression.

Because I liked animes which were pretty much for kids because I was a kid myself. I took a long break from anime and started watching it again when I was older. Plus if I watched ecchi anime when I was a kid, I don't know how people would look at me.
Apr 10, 2016 12:55 PM
Apr 2016
Difionex said:
CCBlueBlood said:

Because I liked animes which were pretty much for kids because I was a kid myself. I took a long break from anime and started watching it again when I was older. Plus if I watched ecchi anime when I was a kid, I don't know how people would look at me.

I understand. But don't you think that people would look at you differently for watching ecchi anime now? I am confused, that is all.
Apr 10, 2016 12:55 PM

Nov 2012
my tastes expanded, but besides that they never changed much.
Apr 10, 2016 12:56 PM

Dec 2014
Discounting things like Pokemon from when I was a little kid, I would say my tastes have become far broader than what they originally were. It's reflective of my mindset. When I really started watching anime in 2010 I was convinced Brotherhood was the best anime ever and so I approached all anime thinking they wouldn't be as good and I intentionally sought out only the flaws. Now I approach every anime hoping to like it, it doesn't matter the genre nor the common perception, I try to have a good time and usually enjoy anime more. I used to look for anime with epic plots and some element of danger, now I go for anything and everything.
Apr 10, 2016 12:57 PM

Sep 2014
CCBlueBlood said:
Difionex said:

I understand. But don't you think that people would look at you differently for watching ecchi anime now? I am confused, that is all.

Nah lol. I have lots of friends which watch ecchi anime right now and they are around my age.
Apr 10, 2016 12:59 PM
Apr 2016
KuuhakuDesu said:
My taste never change much over time.

Qhen I was youmg, I only knew shounen anime (even though I didn't even know there was categories, or that what I was watching was called anime).

Over time, I've discovered new genres, like shoujo or seinen. But I never stopped liking shounen anime.

There's no siginificative changes in my anime taste.

The problem with shounen anime is that it does not expand on further content, why did you not wean yourself off of it? Should not your broadening sense of an open mind reject that?
Apr 10, 2016 12:59 PM

Oct 2014
I'm not sure tbh. I know that when I first started watching anime (about five years ago), I was more into pure shonen series (I was introduced to anime through Avatar). I think that changed when I saw Attack on Titan, which I initially disliked because I thought it had no characters (The only character I liked was Annie. Over the years I've actually grown to respect AoT a bit more, but Annie is still the best.). After that I watched Monster and my tastes quickly started to diversify, though I still have a bias towards shonen and seinen.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Apr 10, 2016 1:00 PM
Apr 2016
Difionex said:
CCBlueBlood said:

Nah lol. I have lots of friends which watch ecchi anime right now and they are around my age.

I see, and how old are your friends? Do you watch with them together?
Apr 10, 2016 1:01 PM
Apr 2016
Horatio_Nelson said:
I'm not sure tbh. I know that when I first started watching anime (about five years ago), I was more into pure shonen series (I was introduced to anime through Avatar). I think that changed when I saw Attack on Titan, which I initially disliked because I thought it had no characters (The only character I liked was Annie. Over the years I've actually grown to respect AoT a bit more, but Annie is still the best.). After that I watched Monster and my tastes quickly started to diversify, though I still have a bias towards shonen and seinen.

Attack on Titan is one of the few recent anime that has expanded on current anime's depth. I am very happy that you decided to appreciate it later on. But why the bias towards shounen?
Apr 10, 2016 1:02 PM

Oct 2014
CCBlueBlood said:
Horatio_Nelson said:

Attack on Titan is one of the few recent anime that has expanded on current anime's depth. I am very happy that you decided to appreciate it later on. But why the bias towards shounen?
Shonen is what I started with. Plus I'm a dude who enjoys action scenes.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Giving humans powers

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Apr 10, 2016 1:03 PM

Sep 2014
CCBlueBlood said:
Difionex said:

My friends are from 14 to 18 years old and nah we don't watch them together at the same time lol. We watch ecchi animes by ourselves and talk about them after we finish watching an episode or an anime or something. We mainly talk about the story and the characters though. (and discuss some scenes.)

Feb 2013
CCBlueBlood said:
romagia said:

Why did you decide to claim that cute girls is the reason to win you over in anime?
It all started with me watching Lucky Star and Hanasaku Iroha some time ago, because of the Konata memes and HanaIro's design for the MC. I also recall having similar feelings of "moe" while watching Revolutionary Girl Utena (my first anime that wasn't a childhood show).
This was also around the same time when i first came to the conundrum of why anime like A-Channel are labeled 'Seinen', and when i was following MLP:FIM.

Though in hindsight, even in childhood i could say i liked Slayers because of Lina, Bebop because of Faye (and Ed!), and Pokemon because of Misty, so this might have always been the case.
Apr 2016
Horatio_Nelson said:
CCBlueBlood said:

Would you rather have action with progression and adventure or would you prefer action without any direction then?
Jun 2015
i used to be more into shonen anime, and i only used to watched dubs.
Apr 10, 2016 1:04 PM

Apr 2016
I loved naruto, then I just went for the Yaoi anime's and now I kinda watch random ones :)

Mar 2015
my comfort zone is bascily same (comedy), i only more opened to genres outside my comfort zone.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 2016
Difionex said:
CCBlueBlood said:

My friends are from 14 to 18 years old and nah we don't watch them together at the same time lol. We watch ecchi animes by ourselves and talk about them after we finish watching an episode or an anime or something. We mainly talk about the story and the characters though. (and discuss some scenes.)

What do you learn in these discussions? Anything?
Mar 2013
When I got into anime I loved Key shows and other melodramatic stuff. Then got into other stuff, mainly shounen and action. I would say the scope of what I will watch has broadened but at heart I am still, and always will be, a key fag.
Apr 10, 2016 1:05 PM
Apr 2016
romagia said:
CCBlueBlood said:

It all started with me watching Lucky Star and Hanasaku Iroha some time ago, because of the Konata memes and HanaIro's design for the MC. I also recall having similar feelings of "moe" while watching Revolutionary Girl Utena (my first anime that wasn't a childhood show). Though in hindsight, even in childhood i could say i liked Slayers because of Lina, Bebop because of Faye (and Ed!), and Pokemon because of Misty, so this might have always been the case.

I suppose that is a amalgamation of different women. Is there a general preference as to which female in anime you prefer?
Apr 10, 2016 1:06 PM

Sep 2014
CCBlueBlood said:
Difionex said:

Don't really learn anything since we mainly discuss funny scenes and have a laugh together lol.
Apr 10, 2016 1:06 PM
Apr 2016
EllenVanity said:
I loved naruto, then I just went for the Yaoi anime's and now I kinda watch random ones :)

Random anime, but should you at least know in advance as to when you would prefer to watch a certain anime?
Apr 10, 2016 1:07 PM
Apr 2016
Kuma said:
my comfort zone is bascily same (comedy), i only more opened to genres outside my comfort zone.

But why is comedy your favourite genre?
Apr 10, 2016 1:07 PM

Feb 2013
CCBlueBlood said:
romagia said:
It all started with me watching Lucky Star and Hanasaku Iroha some time ago, because of the Konata memes and HanaIro's design for the MC. I also recall having similar feelings of "moe" while watching Revolutionary Girl Utena (my first anime that wasn't a childhood show). Though in hindsight, even in childhood i could say i liked Slayers because of Lina, Bebop because of Faye (and Ed!), and Pokemon because of Misty, so this might have always been the case.

I suppose that is a amalgamation of different women. Is there a general preference as to which female in anime you prefer?
Other than the meme answer of "intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor", not really. I can't find a common point between the 5 girls in my favourites, except for a strong feeling of moe.
Apr 10, 2016 1:08 PM
Apr 2016
JD2411 said:
When I got into anime I loved Key shows and other melodramatic stuff. Then got into other stuff, mainly shounen and action. I would say the scope of what I will watch has broadened but at heart I am still, and always will be, a key fag.

What is a Key show? I have never heard of that before.
Apr 10, 2016 1:10 PM
Apr 2016
Difionex said:
CCBlueBlood said:

Don't really learn anything since we mainly discuss funny scenes and have a laugh together lol.

That is not necessarily learning. That is just talking about what makes you laugh. Try and make a difference and watch a different anime for you and your friends to discuss.
Apr 2016
romagia said:
CCBlueBlood said:

Other than the meme answer of "intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor", not really. I can't find a common point between the 5 girls in my favourites, except for a strong feeling of moe.

I see. Who is Moe? I have never heard of that anime character.

Dec 2014
CCBlueBlood said:
JD2411 said:

Key is a company that has made a lot of visual novels, Clannad, Kanon, Air, etc. These anime frequently receive adaptations and are known for their melodrama.
Apr 10, 2016 1:12 PM
Apr 2016
TheHonestThief said:
CCBlueBlood said:

Key is a company that has made a lot of visual novels, Clannad, Kanon, Air, etc. These anime frequently receive adaptations and are known for their melodrama.

Well Clannad is a very melodramatic anime, especially in the first season. So I can infer that the other aforementioned anime are melodramatic as well.
Apr 10, 2016 1:14 PM

Mar 2015
CCBlueBlood said:
Kuma said:

because i watch anime for entertainment, and the most effective way to entertainme is comedy. isn't it that simple?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Feb 2013
CCBlueBlood said:
romagia said:

I see. Who is Moe? I have never heard of that anime character.
Young summer child...

Moe is a Japanese slang word, and loanword that refers to feelings of strong affection mainly towards characters in anime, manga, and video games. Moe however, has also gained usage to refer to feelings of affection towards any subject.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_%28slang%29
Apr 2016
Kuma said:
CCBlueBlood said:

because i watch anime for entertainment, and the most effective way to entertainme is comedy. isn't it that simple?

Entertainment should expand the mind rather than have it wasted on mindless garbage. You can do better.
Apr 10, 2016 1:15 PM

Apr 2016
CCBlueBlood said:
EllenVanity said:

Random anime, but should you at least know in advance as to when you would prefer to watch a certain anime?

Yeah I know what I dislike :) But I cant pick one genre thats my favourite now
Apr 10, 2016 1:16 PM

Dec 2014
CCBlueBlood said:
TheHonestThief said:

Well Clannad is a very melodramatic anime, especially in the first season. So I can infer that the other aforementioned anime are melodramatic as well.

Jun Maeda does lay it on a bit too thick for my tastes. Generally speaking. I haven't seen Air or Kanon either, but the general consensus of the internet attests to their similarities to Clannad in the "feels" department.
Apr 10, 2016 1:17 PM

Mar 2015
CCBlueBlood said:
Kuma said:

Entertainment should expand the mind rather than have it wasted on mindless garbage. You can do better.
so, comedy= mindless garbage? are you kidding me?
Apr 10, 2016 1:19 PM

Oct 2014
CCBlueBlood said:
Horatio_Nelson said:

Would you rather have action with progression and adventure or would you prefer action without any direction then?
What do you mean? Are you saying that shonen don't have adventure or progression? My favorites include things like Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, and FMA. All of which are shonen with adventure and progression.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Giving humans powers

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Apr 10, 2016 1:19 PM

Sep 2014
CCBlueBlood said:
Difionex said:

That is not necessarily learning. That is just talking about what makes you laugh. Try and make a difference and watch a different anime for you and your friends to discuss.

Ecchi has never been made for learning and the same thing applies to all the animes out there and what do you mean by making a difference and watching other anime to discuss? If you check my list you can see yourself that only about 20% of the animes I watched are ecchi lol.
Apr 10, 2016 1:24 PM

Jun 2015
My taste hasn't changed, I just found what I actually prefer to watch. When I first started watching anime (only about a year ago), I just knew about your typical shonen stuff. Then I got into slice of lifes and thought I liked slice of life comedies, but now I know my favorite genre is actually comedic, drama-less, cute girl slice of lifes.
Apr 10, 2016 1:26 PM

Jul 2015
Transition from Shounen to Seinen. Still haven't seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes though .
Apr 10, 2016 1:37 PM

Mar 2015
Enishi- said:
Transition from Shounen to Seinen. Still haven't seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes though .
funny enough LoGH started as shounen and ended in shoujo.
Apr 10, 2016 1:40 PM

Jul 2015
Kuma said:
Enishi- said:
funny enough LoGH started as shounen and ended in shoujo.

Interesting to know. I plan on watching it soon. I heard it was the precursor for Code Geass.
Apr 10, 2016 1:41 PM

Jul 2013
Only a bit, because today I'm more open to watch other series who are far from being the stuff I liked when I was young (battle shounen). I didn't change that much, however, as I still liking those types of shows.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Apr 26

35 by Ohayotaku »»
56 seconds ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

57 by Lhundrup »»
2 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

989 by oliver2193 »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

44 by LenRea »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird to enjoy 3D Anime more than 2D Anime ?

tchitchouan - 3 hours ago

31 by tchitchouan »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.