Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Aug 19, 2015 8:33 AM

Feb 2013
SuperRed said:
HaXXspetten said:
=_=

I'm sorry you read ~800 chapters and you couldn't find any loli-imoutos for your collection.
Aug 19, 2015 9:36 AM
Jul 2014
Awesome world building, possibly the best in anime. Also a lot of likable characters like Luffy who isn't overpowered so he doesn't win every fight.
And with One Piece being a popular show in Japan and Oda being a brilliant mangaka, it's clear the show will run for much longer. There have been some brilliant moments and there are bound to be more. The world is so vast that there are several exciting possibilities. I'm anticipating an epic ending.
Aug 19, 2015 9:46 AM
Jul 2014

Yep. Just hope Toei can step up their game. Haven't watched One Piece recently (waiting to marathon) but it was very dull the last time I did. Maybe Toei should consider taking a break so they can adapt more content each episode.

Side note: I find it funny though how that particular reviewer dislikes One Piece but likes Naruto:Shippuuden. Shippuuden is the king of filler. The first series was a lot more enjoyable because at least most of the fillers were grouped together. All these fillers in the middle of a war arc ruin the immersion.
UchuuKyoudaiFanAug 19, 2015 9:53 AM
Aug 19, 2015 9:49 AM

Jan 2014
Zapredon said:
It's the best shounen of all time.

Seriously, I could give an essay on why it's the best shounen and draws the love of so many people from different age groups and nations around the world, but this being MAL I know only very few would read it.

Simply put, One Piece is the best at what it does, which is providing a fantastic world with great characters to draw you in for every aspect of the emotional spectrum, from laughing your head off to crying huge tears. It remains the #1 best-selling manga in the world and actually holds the Guinness World Record for the comic series with the most number of copies sold.

It is the #4 favourite anime on the site despite having less members than the other ranking anime and the #2 favourite manga on the site.
The author (Eiichiro Oda) is also the favourite shounen mangaka on the site, and Monkey D. Luffy is the 3rd favourite character despite all the other characters in the rankings having many more members.

The truth remains that you will NEVER be able to understand unless you see it for yourself, so you'd better strap down and get that marathon going. Don't catch up though.
RedRoseFringAug 19, 2015 10:02 AM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 19, 2015 9:57 AM

Jul 2011
Because the almighty wanted it this way.
Aug 19, 2015 10:00 AM

May 2009
shintai88 said:
SunflowerDaisho said:
Years ago I was one of the people who blatantly stated that I would never watch One Piece because the art style was "simplistic" and the character designs were ugly, but I kept seeing really good fan art of certain characters and decided to watch one episode to prove to myself that I actually wasn't interested in it. I ended up being hooked by the first episode. Five years and 600+ episodes later and it's my favorite series.

I personally like One Piece because it's entertaining. The characters are likable, the plot is complex, the action is engaging, and the dramatic moments make me feel. I could go into more detail but it's kind of a waste of time trying to convince someone, a stranger who's tastes I know nothing about, to watch something if they have such strong feelings against it. Either watch it if you're interested or don't watch it if you don't want to. It's that simple.

Took you 5 years to watch 600 episodes? Didn't you feel the urge just to marathon it in a month?

No, I was just saying it's been almost five years since I started it. I watched the first 500 episodes in just under six months. That's when I caught up and have been watching on and off ever since. I usually take a small break so I have episodes to marathon. Which is why I'm not currently caught up.
Aug 19, 2015 10:03 AM

Apr 2014
Because it's One Piece, it's the only reason it need to be popular.
Aug 19, 2015 10:13 AM

Apr 2015
It destroys your braincells until there Is only one piece left.
Aug 19, 2015 10:20 AM

May 2015
IntroverTurtle said:
Because it's the best anime ever.

Mad appeal, men, women, children, adults, even the elderly can find something they like One Piece. Large cast of lovable characters who's bond grows over their journey, quite a unique bond I must say. With an even larger cat of side characters that are interesting with multiple factions and motives. The universal theme of setting out on an adventure for your dreams. Has little filler and the filler that it does have is great and his the series enough that you can't tell. The story and world is made so masterfully that it's perfect for being a long runner, I don't know of any other series that does it that well. Things are foreshadowed hundreds of episodes before, characters come back at the right times, some things will not make perfect sense until later which just shows how good of an author Oda is. There are no illusions, the characters are always moving towards their dreams one island at a time, we are told of things that will basically happen in the future and along with Oda's planning you're actually excited about the future and know you have no chance of a false ending. Great back stories and stories each arc on top of overall. Imaginative and wacky world building which never ceases to amaze me. Somehow it manages a rollercoaster of emotions that work, lighthearted comedy, tension, seriousness, tear inducing drama, all without ever clashing, each one individual is better than most series that do it solely. Etc

I'm interested in how exactly it achieves all these ends. Examples of development? Of exploring themes and ideas?

Also, foreshadowing is nothing. It's called Buried Gun. You look back, pick something you dropped and develop it. Chuck Palahniuk wrote about it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 19, 2015 10:22 AM
Jul 2014
Nxtslide said:
UchuuKyoudaiFan said:
of likable characters like Luffy who isn't overpowered so he doesn't win every fight.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What's funny? He doesn't win every fight. And even when he does most of the time it takes a great effort. Example
Some say he has no character development but the progression of his abilities can be considered as such. Luffy's strength progression is one of the most rational in shonen. He isn't getting random friendship powerups to win fights. Rather, his chance of winning depends on his current capabilities (at the battlefront) and his tactics.
UchuuKyoudaiFanAug 19, 2015 10:28 AM
Aug 19, 2015 10:28 AM

Apr 2015
Dunno OP, episode 150 was as far as to what I got. Maybe it would have gotten better later on, I'm just not interested to watch it anymore. 700+ episodes is too much, I could watch about 50+ 1-cour anime in that time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2015 10:28 AM

Oct 2014
UchuuKyoudaiFan said:
Nxtslide said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What's funny? He doesn't win every fight. And even when he does most of the time it takes a great effort. Example
Some say he has no character development but the progression of his abilities can be considered as such. Luffy's strength progression is one of the most rational in shonen. He isn't getting random friendship powerups to win fights. Rather, his chance of winning depend on his current capabilities (at the battlefront) and his tactics.

Wrong. Character development is strictly for characterization, crap like power ups and new abilities are not character development. Luffy is the most static shounen Jump protagonist ever, so much that even the most hardcore of fans can't deny it (make up excuses tho)

More like great effort by the villains to act as dumb as possible. Crocdile presented as intelligent yet fails to kill him twice.

Luffy vs Crocodile in a nutshell:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BondVillainStupidity
Aug 19, 2015 10:31 AM
Jul 2014
Nxtslide said:
UchuuKyoudaiFan said:

Some say he has no character development but the progression of his abilities can be considered as such. Luffy's strength progression is one of the most rational in shonen. He isn't getting random friendship powerups to win fights. Rather, his chance of winning depend on his current capabilities (at the battlefront) and his tactics.

Wrong. Character development is strictly for characterization, crap like power ups and new abilities are not character development. Luffy is the most static shounen Jump protagonist ever, so much that even the most hardcore of fans can't deny it (make up excuses tho)

More like great effort by the villains to act as dumb as possible. Crocdile presented as intelligent yet fails to kill him twice.

Luffy vs Crocodile in a nutshell:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BondVillainStupidity

It wasn't too far-fetched for Crocodile to underestimate Luffy. Luffy was only worth 30 million at the time I think. Saw that arc a long time ago so I can't say much else.
Aug 19, 2015 10:33 AM

Oct 2014
It makes sense if he underestimated him but not far enough that he literally doesn't check if he died for good, twice. First time can fly but the second one was just dump, and Luff'y luck made it even dumber.
Aug 19, 2015 10:37 AM

Jan 2014
Nxtslide said:
It makes sense if he underestimated him but not far enough that he literally doesn't check if he died for good, twice. First time can fly but the second one was just dump, and Luff'y luck made it even dumber.

I wasn't going to bother because you are clearly just here to hate, but what would be silly is if Crocodile deviated from his time-sensitive plan to hack the body of someone he doesn't even consider a threat into pieces.
It's easy to talk from the position of hindsight, but no one is going to take time to hack a fly into pieces because it may prove a nuisance for their bank robbery.

The BondVillain thing (lol, tvtropes) is also dumb. There were no death traps, no situations where he could escape by his power, no explaining plans he could stop, no wanting to join his side, break his spirit, part of the plan.
It's sad you couldn't even get something from Tvtropes straight.
RedRoseFringAug 19, 2015 10:42 AM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 19, 2015 10:38 AM

Sep 2012
Nxtslide said:

The first time, he didn't even care if Luffy was alive or not. He didn't even think Luffy was a threat, second time is pure luck from Luffy. I can't blame Croc for not expecting this would happen.
Aug 19, 2015 10:42 AM

Nov 2014
Its simple mainstream suitable for kids and dumbed down with mindless actions perfect for the 12 year old pretend otaku
Aug 19, 2015 11:17 AM

Oct 2014
Look idiot. I clearly mentioned Robin name because she was Croc underline, main point was checking if he was alive or not. Now you can say that my reasons for thinking it's bad are terrible, dumb, etc, I'm a hater, troll, one piece is the best, blah blah. Just spare me the twisting bullshit that you use to try and undermine people's arguments. You are literally worse than Mikasa in that aspect.
Aug 19, 2015 12:10 PM

Nov 2010
IDK but I'm glad it is. Its popularity makes people so salty. I mean, how salty one must be to bash a series on a constant basis? It's funny. "The series I hate is more popular that I think it should be, so I'm gonna bash it in every possible thread I find"
So much salt, so much butthurt.
Aug 19, 2015 12:22 PM

May 2010
It's just a plain fun. The adventure part of it is fun, and the comedy is GREAT. Honestly, Oda has like the best sense of humor in the entire world. His jokes never fail, totally. Too bad it works better in the manga than anime, but I still love it.

Besides that, manga has AMAZING artstyle. I didn't believe it either at first, I mean there are no bishoujos or bishounens, but when I bought my first volumes I understood. Every single detail or background is drawn, you won't see even one blank page with "heart" like in the Bleach. Completing one volume takes me often about 2-3 hours, sometimes I just gaze at some pictures.

Anime doesn't have it, animation is veeery poor, and so is the pacing, especially after the timeskip. I guess that if not for the ingenious manga, anime wouldn't be this popular just by itself. That's just my opinion tho.
Aug 19, 2015 12:27 PM

Jan 2013
Because its the greatest of all time.
Aug 19, 2015 1:22 PM

Jul 2015
Because of this rule....
1. People make such a big deal about this series
2. They made over 700+ episodes, so it must be good
3. You should always listen to the HYPE
As for me-I'd rather watch a good Milky Holmes episode any day than Naruto.
Aug 19, 2015 2:49 PM
Jul 2014
Sazabi1 said:
UchuuKyoudaiFan said:
of likable characters like Luffy who isn't overpowered so he doesn't win every fight.

What? What are you talking about? Does anyone know what he is talking about?

Luffy has lost against:

So yes, Luffy has lost his fair share of fights. He is not overpowered.
Aug 19, 2015 3:15 PM

Apr 2015
People love and uses "rubber".
#CHEXIT
Aug 19, 2015 5:11 PM

Mar 2014
Because it's still airing and it's full of action and adventure episodes.The pirate theme is pretty popular in these days.

Aug 19, 2015 8:24 PM

Aug 2008
TornadoTheDragon said:

As to being #1 worldwide from what only 20 million of those sales are international while the other ~300 million is all from Japan. As opposed to Dragon Ball or Naruto. Where international sales make up a larger portion of the total revenue of the franchise.

Not sure about the whole "Guinness World Record for the comic series with the most number of copies sold" is it referring to a franchise as a whole or just one particular serialized issue?

International manga sales aside, OP is popular not just in Japan, but also internationally. However, in the international place where it is popular, manga sales are not that common in the first place. For example, when I travel to SEA, OP is very popular there. I think it mostly western countries where OP is not popular but then again, Japan still the biggest market and generate the most profit/revenue. OP still the best selling manga in the whole world though.

akisma said:
Zapredon said:
It's the best shounen of all time. It's funny. It also has lots of good arcs.

nope One Piece is not the best shonen

Having seen lots of other anime, I haven't come across other shounen that is better than OP.
ZapredonAug 19, 2015 8:36 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 19, 2015 9:19 PM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: Later thread merged with existing one in the forum. Spam and derailing posts cleaned. Please stay on topic and don't bait.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 25, 2017 9:37 AM

Jan 2017
its the only long running anime that has interested me enough to start it. ive only heard great things about, while a lot of what ive heard about naruto, bleach, fairytail is that theyre really disappointing, and full of terrible filler

(i've considered watching detective conan recently though)
Apr 25, 2017 9:44 AM

May 2010
Not too much filler in Fairy Tail, but yeah the other two have a ton. Bleach's especially is really bad. Idk how OP manages to go on for years and years with so little filler.

Compare:

http://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/one-piece 13%
http://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/naruto-shippuden 44%
http://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/bleach 45%
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelleee - Sep 13, 2008

377 by TheStarscream759 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1015 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 23, 2022

476 by kappaisnew »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

54 by LadyLeeMing »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 219 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaito__Kid - Nov 17, 2009

60 by X1ma »»
Today, 9:41 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1011 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Feb 19, 2022

58 by Marcos-1 »»
Today, 6:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.