Forum Settings
Forums

I feel like I want to be more acquainted with older people

New
Oct 1, 2:27 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I feel like I want to be more acquainted with older people.
Maybe that's a weird way to put it.
Since transitioning maintaining ties with my grandparents has proven...
Difficult. Differences in beliefs (like mandatory drafts into the military, gender things, tattoos) particularly.
Generational difference, but I want to take the good things from older people.
The mentality about passing time and all.
I feel like their life experiences are treasure troves, living memories.
I feel like I want to be more acquainted with it all.
I probably have a ton of prejudice concerning them, and thus far in my life it has often been a pleasing thing to discuss with people aged several decades later.
And I wonder if professionally, that feeling can translate into something meaningful.
As in: perhaps working with older people is more enriching than corporate culture.
However, philosophical biases will abound in me and I'll never be able to rid myself from them.
New experiences are from that.
I'm still searching for myself, and perhaps I'm just incomplete meaning I can't find meaning outside of myself, in a job.
Whatever, what are some thoughts that this thread spurred in you?

• Would you like to talk to more of the elderly in your neighborhood?

• Have you ever worked, or would you like to work with the elderly?

• Are you interested in elder folks' life stories?

• Would you think that community with people across generations has changed your perception of time?

• Would you think such community changed your life priorities?

Oct 1, 2:38 PM

May 2013
I used to work in a care facility with plenty of elderly people. It was interesting for sure but the one lesson I took away from it is that in the first world the largest instance of human rights violations are in these facilities and how the government has established a remarkably low minimum level of care and it is shocking. I remember this whole meeting about how we weren't actually understaffed from a legal perspective, which was true, but fuck the law since the minimum they established was shitty and gave an awful quality of life to these people.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Oct 1, 2:41 PM

Jan 2009
well lots of old people have good stories to tell so could be interesting
Oct 1, 2:43 PM
Yare Yare Daze

May 2022
I don't like hanging out with old people it's a no to all these questions. I always around older people, even I was 13 I was hanging out with 20 and 30 years old drinking beer barely going to class somehow still the most well behavior and at the top of the board.
Oct 1, 3:39 PM

Jul 2021
Every time I talk to old people I realize how many skills I am missing. Most of them went through pioneer, compulsory service and had to fix everything themselves, we are kind of useless in comparison lol.
I like to talk to a lot of older folks about politics, I enjoy when they talk shit about the current system. I also love when they talk about their past profession or sport.
Oct 1, 4:30 PM

Sep 2024
No, to all Questions (doesn't matter if they're younger or older).

Because all of them are involved with alcohol (or their religious life mascarade), their career/job brags, their sex fairy tales, what they ate today, what they bought (the list goes on).

I am better off without knowing any of that, life is too short, and not a grind-fest MMORPG with unlimited spawn.
ExhumatikaOct 1, 4:33 PM
Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean you're not being watched. ~
Oct 1, 4:44 PM

May 2013
Reply to Exhumatika
No, to all Questions (doesn't matter if they're younger or older).

Because all of them are involved with alcohol (or their religious life mascarade), their career/job brags, their sex fairy tales, what they ate today, what they bought (the list goes on).

I am better off without knowing any of that, life is too short, and not a grind-fest MMORPG with unlimited spawn.
@Exhumatika

For the sake of discussion: with the passage of time the world changed and arent you interested in what life was like back when it was a completely different world?

Even small stuff like one old lady telling me before color TV they would sell color overlays for your TV screen to pretend like there is color. It's interesting

Learning about the world isnt a waste of time

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Oct 1, 4:57 PM

Sep 2024
Reply to Nette
@Exhumatika

For the sake of discussion: with the passage of time the world changed and arent you interested in what life was like back when it was a completely different world?

Even small stuff like one old lady telling me before color TV they would sell color overlays for your TV screen to pretend like there is color. It's interesting

Learning about the world isnt a waste of time
I didn't have any TV when I was growing up, perhaps that old lady would be interested in this tale, but somehow I doubt it.
Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean you're not being watched. ~
Oct 1, 5:18 PM

Jun 2024
Well, when I was a child I used to hear stories of elderly when time of world War 2 my grandparents on my mother's side and in my father's side when my grandpapa where his little sister killed during Japanese invade Philippines,

I respect elderly since they know how to live during there time and sharing there experience teach you how to handle life
Oct 2, 3:33 AM

Jul 2024
Only people I get to talk to in real life are old people walking or reading in the park
Oct 2, 9:01 AM

Feb 2020
Question 1.
Maybe, although I still don't know everyone in my neighborhood. I think there was an old lady that lived 2 or 3 doors down, but I think she may have died :/ as I remember there being Police cars and officers by her home, which has now been sold and I didn't even know it was up for sale.
I know my old neighbour from the end of the next street, as I sometimes get his mail at my house here. If I see him, I'll stop and chat, only thing is... he's hard to get away from😅

Question 2.
I was basically a carer for my Dad when he came out of a mental hospital, whilst my mother was in. He kind-of varied with what he was like when he was in & out of the place. When he was first out, he could at least wash & dress himself, but he was difficult to get to do things like take his meds, sometimes he would just stay in bed, and i would have to stay in also, as he was unpredictable.
Later releases though he did much less, although my mother dealt with him more and better, as she used to be a Nurse looking after mentally handicapped kids.
I wouldn't really want to do that again, as it was a lot for me to do, and I'm not good at ordering people around. I did it because it was my Dad and thought it was better he be at home than in that awful hospital.

Question 3.
I probably would be, but I'm not often collared.

Question 4.
Oh definitely, time passes by quickly. My eldest sis lives nearby, and she's just turned 53. My nephew lives a few streets over, and he's 30 next year, my niece also used to live in my town, but she moved. She's 31 and is getting married in 2 years. I'm almost 37...
I feel sad that I missed out on seeing my niece & nephew growing up, as family life at home was chaotic. I feel quite distant from them, even though their family. I also don't feel like I even know much about my oldest sis either.

Question 5. I want to experience as much as I can, as I was sheltered for far too long, and probably don't have as long a life left because of illnesses and stress.
But most of it is experienced by myself, and doesn't feel quite the same, and I'm limited in what I can do because of lack of life experience and anxiety.
Oct 2, 11:36 PM

Dec 2021
I used to volunteer at a local museum, which was mostly run by people in their 70s and 80s. There were all very friendly, I got on well with them (even if some of them were a bit grouchy at times xD). They taught me a lot of interesting things about the local history and were appreciative of any young person wanting to pass that history on.

It was amazing to see these people in their 80s give thirty-to-sixty-minute tours to overseas visitors. When it was my turn to give tours, it made me more confident in my social and lecturing skills, and even made me consider new career paths. I definitely recommend it if you have an interest in history.
7 hours ago
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I talk with elderly people at my church. I get along with people of all ages.
6 hours ago

Jan 2018
it takes a bit to get used to their hardy attitude. they're harder than average people in this current time where people become a bit soft as everything is easy to get. i believe myself a good listener though i'm not good at keeping conversation alive. my upbringing is to not overstep people's bound so now i'm used to keeping things to myself, i can stay idly without need to strike a conversation with someone. i'd talk to a cat if i have to lol

older people in working environment mostly have bossy attitude from my limited experience, but i admire young people that are friendly despite being in stressful situations.

licking people / stroking people's ego is a relevant meta skill that everyone uses here as far as my perceptions go. i'm not much of a community person but if people ask me to go clean up graveyard i'll go.

if i ever need to change job and desperately need some rice, then working with elderly people shall be my specialty.
5 hours ago

Sep 2024
I feel most comfortable with my own age group between 27~35 and maybe also 35~45.
Also ironically, men that age group are often less misogynistic and less queerphobic from my opinion. Younger ones often seem to be riddled with so much insecurities (and listen to dumb alpha podcasters), they project those on women and queer people as hatred and prejudices.

Old people tho are hit or miss as well. Some old ladies I got to know only seem polite in their mannerism, but as soon as you get to know them, you realize they got awful outlook on people and are super entitled.
Some others are great tho and got interested life stories to tell. I somehow got this about me, old people just sit next to me on a train and randomly tell me their life stories lol. Yes granny, spill the tea about your first and second husband.
3 hours ago

Nov 2013
The most interesting elderly folks are the ones who have lived experience of WW2. They are totally built different. Although their generation is coming to a close.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include

More topics from this board

» Consider MAL-Badges dead

_cjessop19_ - Sep 30

15 by _cjessop19_ »»
9 minutes ago

» Why do people feel bored ? どうして人間は退屈を感じるのでしょうか?

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 26

12 by 3miL »»
12 minutes ago

» 2024–25 NBA season

deg - Jun 26

40 by RainyEvenings »»
18 minutes ago

» Question about FAL

ANEWNAME - 44 minutes ago

1 by ScaryOwl »»
35 minutes ago

Poll: » brutal honesty

deg - Oct 2

21 by Sad »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.